Old 08-16-2010, 08:21 AM   #61  

S/C/G: 221/180/150

Height: 5'2 1/4"

A quick one here. Got a dental appt to get teeth cleaned and working in some errands as I go and head back home.

My low carb Atkins/SBD mixture seems to be working. My weight is back down to where it was when I started testing after meals and my FBS was lowest its been so far 109 mg/dl this morning.

Ruth Looks like the corn didn't affect your BS. I hope corn will be one of the foods I can have occassionally when I get to the point of putting more carbs back as it is my favorite food. Will give it up if I have to though. There are a lot of foods I used to think I couldn't live without and I don't miss them or ever have a desire any more.

Y'all have a great Monday.
pattygirl63 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2010, 09:38 AM   #62  
Madeleine

S/C/G: sw187/cw152/gw140

Height: 5 ft 3.5 in or 163 cm

Quote:
Originally Posted by pattygirl63 View Post

Ruth Looks like the corn didn't affect your BS. I hope corn will be one of the foods I can have occassionally when I get to the point of putting more carbs back as it is my favorite food. Will give it up if I have to though. There are a lot of foods I used to think I couldn't live without and I don't miss them or ever have a desire any more.

Y'all have a great Monday.
Me too trish, Fresh corn on the cob is a tradition at the picnic I was at yesterday, my uncle is a farmer, and picks the cobs on the way to the picnic. If I don't eat much corn all summer, I always have some at that yearly picnic. I didn't have it yesterday, my sugars were up after the wedding and I just felt too crummy to mess with it. Its the first time I felt crummy from higher sugars. (I don't think I was hung over, I only had 2 glasses of wine and drank lots of water) So I just didn't think I could take challenging myself with corn or anything else off plan, so also skipped the butter tarts and cherry pie that are traditional offerings. I missed them in the way I would miss out on anything yummy, but it didn't feel like the worst thing ever. I was able to enjoy the company of others.
I realized partway through the day that the company of my family was my real reason for being there, it wasn't the food! Revelation huh?

Am going to for a walk now. have a great day friends
fatmad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2010, 12:31 PM   #63  
Linda

S/C/G: 182/169/135

Height: 5' 2

Good Morning.
Sounds like everyone had a good weekend.

Trish you have inspired me to do a 2 week induction as well. I had the new Atkins book but just never got around to reading it. I have done very well on Atkins before and lost over 25 lbs. There is a lot of new info in this book and I think it's worth a try to get my BS down.

I'm going to spend part of the morning digging out my low carb recipes and recipe books.

Off to check out the Atkins thread here as well.
Have a great day all.
Lindyloo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2010, 07:49 AM   #64  
Come on Spring!

S/C/G: 232/170/150

Height: 5'0" on a tall day

Another good day ahead after a tiring and tiresome one yesterday. I wonder is being pissed off affects your BGL? Yesterday would have been a good day to test that.

Anyhow, brand new day today and my ww English muffin with Laughing Cow and a sliced peach was a great start. I missed the gym yesterday but will pop in for a partial session this morning on my way to the bank.

I'm still sniffing around Atkins but have to wait for the corn and peach season to end! I do have the book for diabetics so no excuse there.
Ruthxxx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2010, 09:37 AM   #65  
War Eagle!

S/C/G: 194/165/140

Height: 5'2"

Hello, everyone! I've been away because it's back-to-school time here. My boys started last week. It was a hard adjustment for me, but they seem fine. I signed them up for soccer against my better judgment, but oh, well. I've been looking for a job for a year now, and still nothing. I've been very disappointed about this. Got another rejection letter yesterday by snail mail. Usually they just email me, so I guess I should feel honored.

I haven't been testing as much, but when I do, it's still been okay, except the FBG. It's been up and down and hard to predict. I seem to be able to handle the after-meal readings pretty well. They've been in the 90's, so that is good.

I figured up my calories for yesterday, and it was 1340. I think that is okay considering my weight. I think it will vary a bit, too. I ate a little more yesterday than I normally do.

Ruth, I hope mood doesn't do anything too much. I don't need any more factors to consider.

Trish and Lindyloo, good luck with Atkins. I've never tried it, but if it works, then that is great.

Fatmad, I've been having trouble with the family gatherings, too. Seems like everything is carby. My MIL doesn't even attempt to make anything I can eat. I have to bring my own food. I don't even think she knows how to make fresh vegetables.

Rosebud, it's been very hot and humid here, too. Ugh! I can't wait for fall.

Everyone have a great day!!

Last edited by theCandEs; 08-17-2010 at 09:39 AM.
theCandEs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2010, 12:32 PM   #66  

Hello Everyone,

Ruth I hope mood doesn't affect BS. I do believe being too tired affects it though and certain moods that are stressful surely could affect it as well.

Cande Good to hear from you. It's been hot here as well. They keep saying we have chance of rain everyday, but haven't seen it yet. A few sprinkles one day and hope we get some rain soon.

I finally decided to take a sleeping pill (cross the counter one) last night and got a really good nights sleep. So I got up later than usual. I knew I just could not get by on just a 4 or 5 hr sleep again like I had for the past 2 days.

I went on line and found charts on what the normal BS readings are and how they relate to the A1c. I was excited to find that I am in the normal range and 5.5 range for 2 days now. My FBS reading was 109 mg/dl yesterday and today. I'm working for lower, but just thrilled that I am in what the ADA and ACE call the norm. My blood pressure is considered in the normal for ACE although a little higher than it has been since I started keeping records of it daily, but I really want it a little lower because my norm has always been lower. I think the upping of it is because I've had to up salt a little on the Atkins diet and I'm having to adjust it for where I want the BP to be. Over all things are finally looking good health wise. My weight was down a total of 5 lbs this morning and this is just day 5 of Atkins Induction. So it is working for me.

I know a lot of people on Atkins here at 3fc don't like the new Atkins book and diet. Although I really follow the "old" Atkins woe, it is the plain simple talk in the new book that helped me to see how why Atkins never worked for me before. It wasn't that Atkins didn't work for me obviously but I wasn't working Atkins correctly. I gained weight when I did Atkins before or didn't lose at all so I thought it just didn't work for me. Turn out the problem was me and my misunderstanding of some things. Now I have it all cleared up and it is working like it should. Personally, I am thankful for having both the original book written by Dr. Atkins himself and the new book which helped me to "get it".

Y'all have a great day.
Old 08-17-2010, 05:25 PM   #67  
Madeleine

Default good day

I made myself go to yoga today. I had a really good workout, and my back is still doing ok. I went to the chiropractor and had a massage yesterday. Tomorrow I leave for a long drive to family in Quebec, so I am worried about the long drive affecting the back and going back to square one. Same when we come home on Sunday.
Just getting to yoga and have a workout feels like a victory in itself. I have been having trouble motivating myself to exercise in general since my back started hurting.
Have been sticking to plan pretty well, but don't know how well that will go when we are away. (I have trouble speaking french without some wine or beer in me! )
trish, I am glad the new book is helpful to you. you just never know what will clear things up for you. I think the criticism has to do with the pushing of atkins products and deviations from a lot of the original diet plan, not about the presentation of the information.
I hope I will lose some when I go on induction next week. Its been frustrating not to be losing weight, I really have to take the stable sugars as an NSV that is worth sticking to plan. And my overall health is worth it. But I will stick to the old plan

Ruth, start induction with me, (or before me) and we can sympathize with each other.
Old 08-17-2010, 08:15 PM   #68  
Rosebud

S/C/G: 30/Goal Met:L-XL/relosing some

You are all so brave taking on the Atkin's INDUCTION PHASE -- I know that I wouldn't stick to it for 2 days let alone 2 weeks (maybe only 2 meals even) ... and I know that is just too strict for me and my BSL's would drop so low. I have to have some complex grain carbs each day, even if only 2-3 a day.

All the times I lost weight before, I always had a few complex carbs each day; I lost weight but didn't feel like I was starving either (just a quirk of my body, I guess). I can stand only about one very low carb meal a day; that's my limit these days. Have been switching up my breakfasts too; had a slice of toast with peanut butter & about 2 tbl of my homemade rhubarb blueberry fruit compote with it as well.

I really work hard at making sure my meals taste great and are very filling. I am a total convert to spagetti squash now. I have been eating the leftovers for the last few days. I baked only have at a time and the other half stayed nice in the fridge in a bag for a few days until I nuked it for only 10 minutes and it was ready. Will be cooking it that way from now on.

We had roast chicken and piles of veggies the last two days; and I still have some leftover veggies for the rest of the week. It has finally cooled down here; and we had & on and off the last two days (actually more rain than not) but my beans and gladiolas are lovin' that.

WE still hope to get up to our lot yet this week; and go blueberry hunting too. It is supposed to warm up as the week goes along. Also, must get our suitcases down and start getting ready for our upcoming holiday too.

Hope you all have a great week; without too much stress -- yes, it can affect your numbers for sure ... so it's time for some relaxing techniques; and yoga is a good one too! I've been looking into that myself lately ...
Justwant2Bhealthy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2010, 10:51 PM   #69  
Madeleine

rosebud: your lifestyle is clearly working for you. Your sugars are stable, you have been losing weight well. I wouldn't dream of having you change what you are doing. If it ain't broke, don't fix it. By definition you are probably up several rungs on the atkins ladder, and don't need to further reduce carbs at this point.
don't know when I can check in again, i expect my relatives will have internet access for me from time to time.
have a good week all
Old 08-17-2010, 11:11 PM   #70  

fatmad Have a safe trip. We will miss you if you don't have the net.

Rosebud You are blessed to be able to have the complex carbs. I really miss having them especially peanut butter sandwish or toast. That is another thing I hope I will be able to have again when I add carbs back in. I think everyone has to do what works for them. DH can do fruits and his BS was down to 119 mg/dl this morning... steadily coming down. So we all are definitely different. What works for one doesn't work for another. It is an individual thing that has to be worked out. I think that is why The Diabetic Bible book stresses that each one of us has to be the manager of how we work our plan.

I haven't been getting all 20 carbs each day and tonight I really felt wiped out checked my BS and it was 114 mg/dl which was good, but I needed carbs so I made me some stirfy with chicken and made me a protein shake. I finally started feeling better. I've go to watch myself and be sure to get those 20 carbs I'm supposed to get while in Induction.
Old 08-18-2010, 09:02 AM   #71  
Linda

S/C/G: 182/169/135

Height: 5' 2

Good Morning!

Day 3 of induction. I haven't lost anything yet but my FBG this morning was 5.9. It's never been below 6.8 before, so I'm really happy.

Congrats on the 5 lbs. Hopefully I will have a woosh today.

Have a great day everyone.

Linda
Lindyloo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2010, 01:32 PM   #72  

Linda I didn't see the weight loss (water loss) until Day 5 so I'm sure you will see it. Isn't it neat to see the BS come down? Mine was 104 mg/dl this morning which I think is 5.3... lowest I've ever had as well. Atkins' Induction really does bring it down. Be sure to get your 20 grams of veggie carbs. I haven't been paying much attention to that and yesterday I was wiped out. I checked my BS and it was in a good range, but I just had no energy. I've been checking calories, carbs and protein just for the fun of it to see what I'm getting. When I looked at my food journal, I had not even had 7 carbs so I had to get busy and fix me some veggies and get the carbs back up. Still didn't get 20, but what I ate did help get my energy back up. So today I am making it a point to be sure to get to 20 carbs. I don't think I can start feeling good until I do. I had 3 carbs for breakfast which probably should have been a little more since I'm eating 3 meals and a snack each day.

Hope y'all are having a good day.
Old 08-18-2010, 06:12 PM   #73  
In it 4 the long haul

S/C/G: 161/see ticker/120

Height: 5'1 1/2"

Hi everyone

Have not chimed in for a few days. Guess I did not feel like I had anything to say. I see where alot of you are talking about doing Atkins induction. I did not really know what that entailed so I went to the web site and printed off some info. Will have to look at it a bit more closely but I may try it myself.
Question though. What is the difference between the first 2 weeks of South beach and Atkins induction?

I have done South Beach before when I was first diagnosed with pre diabetes and did loose about 25 lbs but of course put a big part of that back on so that is why I am here. Tried it again and didn't loose enough to speak of.

I tried the ww crackers and cheese as recommended before bedtime but did not see a big difference in morning bs. So I guess it's time to try something else and maybe Atkins is it.

Tell me why you chose it.
Leann
want2bfit4me is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2010, 07:26 AM   #74  
Come on Spring!

S/C/G: 232/170/150

Height: 5'0" on a tall day

Just to clarify, South Beach Diet is NOT a low carb plan. The first Phase of SBD does include carbs in the form of dairy, tomatoes and legumes. Grain is added after Phase I as is fruit.

Actually, just had a "Duh" moment. I should be doing SBD Phase rather than worrying about low FBGL if I were to do Atkins. Sometimes I worry about my brain!

BGL fine today although lots of stress is happening in my Life right now. I shall overcome as it's all stuff over which I have some control!
Ruthxxx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2010, 05:06 PM   #75  
War Eagle!

S/C/G: 194/165/140

Height: 5'2"

I guess you could say I'm doing a modified SBD. I can't always get whole grain, so I take what I can get, you know? I try to keep the carbs to one serving per meal, or about 15-20g of carb. Oh, I'm making myself hungry. I better find something to eat.
theCandEs is offline   Reply With Quote