Closed Thread

Old 03-03-2004, 12:47 PM   #196  
~Insane Java Turtle~

Default Blushing

Ever see a turtle blush? Thanks Mamma Jennifer. Wow, I didn't know you were old enough to have a 40 year old Turtle Baby.
Old 03-03-2004, 01:49 PM   #197  
"workin' on my fitness"

Height: 5'10"

Talking Now for the responses...lol

Ok, so now that I got the good stuff out, I can respond.

Angie- with the bike goal thing...at first I thought 100 miles was a totally ridiculous number...really daunting, and then I whipped out the calendar & actually looked at what it would take to get that. First I figured with just work days, taking weekends off, it would be 4.35 miles a day...and then, figuring I could do 15 minutes a dayo n the weekends, it would be 3.23 miles a day to get to the 100 miles, which is really doable...so I'm shooting for the moon there.

Lucy- I'd like to see that recipe...that, and the modeling pics! We didn't forget about those

2sw33t- accountability is an amazing thing, isn't it? If you put it out here, it's like you're obligated, no matter what. LOL- that definitely keeps me on the straight & narrow path, because I don't want to have to come back & report that I didn't do what I planned. (Ok, maybe I'm a little hard on myself..lol) And the exercise sure does make me hungry- I've noticed over the past 4 days, the more exercise I do, the more I'm getting hungry between meals, so I think I need to add a little bit more protein & just a teeny bit of fat to get things back in line.

Julie- oooh, new undies and skirt...don't you love that "new bra smell?" LOLOL- ok, yeah, I'm punchy now. Hee hee. Awesome job with your day free of sugar. That's one of the hardest demons to beat- the dang sugar beasties know how to get to us. Just yesterday, I brought home a piece of cake for hubby (they had a "going away party" here in the building for another dept that my hubby works with) and that damn icing was talking to me the whole way home. I had a finger full of icing, in front of hubby, so that was my "transgression" with sugar. And it wasn't even that good.

Blush...my "goal oriented" habits are basically because I've got a long road ahead. I've got a lot to lose, so unless I set little goals, month by month, etc, I'd be so overwhelmed looking at this 2 year stretch ahead of me. You look at 2 years & it seems like forever, but you know you can get through one week. And then you say to yourself that you can definitely do it for a month...and before you know it, you're at the end of your journey, and you made it! At least that's my approach, and anyone who wants to join me for their portion of the trip, I'm happy to have such wonderful company.

Mary- First of all, thank you for my "new name" Mamma Jennifer...lol- I gotta keep all my "kids" here in line, don't I? LOL. The Muppet theme- I'm the weird one, so if I were a muppet, I'd probably end up being Gonzo. Or Beaker, since I do have a huge streak of Geek in me. LMAO! And now you know I'm gonna have to tell everyone about why my butt hates you so much...LOL (((Mary)))

Okay, gang..Mary & I have been challenging each other with the exercise bit...when she doesn't feel like doing hers, I get on her, and then she curses at me while she's doing it. With the whole bike thing...I was enjoying it, but it was my butt protesting, so my a** was cursing her out, big time! LOL! I know, I'm weird. I'll admit it. But it's working, and keeping us motivated, and I think that's the benefit to my type of insanity.

Oh- and everyone, back me up on this....Mary- you have inches lost, despite this stress, and alternative schedule...you're doing this with so many obstacles stacked against you. I've read articles that say that the hormones/endorphines you produce when under stress actually inhibit weight loss, because when you are that stressed out, the body is holding onto any fat because of the whole fight/flight response ingrained in us. So keep working on the exercise portion...get your body to relax...and when the job situation is resolved, and a big portion of your stress is gone, you are going to see a change- I am absolutely certain!

Jeez, I am long winded today! LOL...but I guess that's what happens when I miss a whole day!

Anyway, to catch up with my events:

Day from **** yesterday- anything that could fall apart, did, taking away any opportunity I had to peek in here. Bleah. Got home, and I did the yoga/pilates tape that came with my mat & ball. I was disappointed. I could do a lot of it, but it didn't feel like I was doing anything other than stretching. So, I felt guilty. After the yoga, I had dinner, and it just kept at me, that here I spent an hour "working out" and it was no different than if I had gotten up out of bed, yawned & did 3 minutes of stretching.

Well, sadistic me, I said, ok, lemme get on the bike and do 15 minutes, so that I feel like I got my heart rate up. Well, 15 minutes felt good, and I was near the 4 mile mark, so I changed my mind & decided to go for 5 miles. 5 miles was right about 18 minutes, so I pushed it to 25 minutes, which was over 8 miles, and that's when I said, heck, I'm going to do 10 miles. I slowed the pace down to keep in the "fat burning" heart rate range (for me, it's 122-138) and finished my 10 miles at 35 minutes, 30 seconds.

Course, I finished, and had to report to Mary that my a** was screaming her name...I was fine all the while I was sitting, but then try to get up when your a** wants to stay behind. Hah- behind...lol- I kill me today. It was like, "No, you go ahead & go work on the computer...I'll stay here & wait."

So, I think I'm developing an addiction. To my bike. I'm having fantasies about a bike that really moves...that if I can do this well sitting still, maybe in 50 pounds or so, maybe I'll want to ride outside...maybe hubby & I can go on bike rides... When I get up, the bike is right there, on my side of the bed. When I go to sleep, it's right there, with my sneakers & leggins folded on the seat. I gaze longingly at the bike...wanting to climb on for "just a few minutes" knowing that 10 minutes isn't going to be enough. I'm a shamless bike hussy. LOL.

Okay, lunch is long over, I've been peeking in here to finish up, and I need to get this posted. Have a wonderful Wednesday everyone!
Old 03-03-2004, 03:05 PM   #198  
LucyKitty

First off... hahaha! Jennifer, you've got the butt pain, too!! Maybe my butt's not as boney as I thought it was!! *G*

Secondly... Mary, she's right!!! Having a weird schedule is hard to deal with, especially when trying to lose weight. And stress DOES inhibit weight loss. The only time stress has EVER made me lose weight was the time I broke up with now-husband, right after high school, and cried so hard I puked every day for two months. And that isn't exactly the good kind of stress. BUT if you do work out every day, and keep at it, eventually you'll get there. =)

Okay... last night was a bad slip up. This past weekend, the wonderfully supportive husband made brownies. GRR. Nice, yummy brownies (his are the BEST), with yummy dark chocolate fudge frosting. What, did he forget?! I had about 3 of them... one Sunday, one Monday, and one Tuesday - followed by 2 big scoops of normal ice cream. ARGH.
Also, yesterday, I just didn't want to work out.

So... I woke up this morning (bad night last night, couldn't sleep, got up late...), and helped myself out before the day begins. I made a HUGE bowl of popcorn. I'm going to put it in ziploc bags, thus giving myself set portions. Then, I'll put the portions in the cupboard, and I'm allowed two bags per day. Why two? Because, altho my popcorn may be a little unhealthy, it is still low-cal and high-fiber, and if I eat it in the middle of the night... well... there's so many little kernels in that bag, I feel like I've had more. =) I'm tricking myself, I tell you!

So... workout today will be later on, because I have 5 tapes to do (ack!) and I want to make sure they're done before he gets home today. So my workout (30 min bike, 5 min stepper w/ weights, 300 situps), is going to wait until probably 5 p.m. Too bad, work DOES have to come first... oh, well. I'm going to do today's tapes tonight, so I won't have to deal with this tomorrow!

Meal plan today:

B - 1/2 cup cottage cheese (w/ salt), 1/2 cup pear, 1 slice toast w/ butter.
L - Leftover rice (about 3/4 cup) with soy sauce, cup of yogurt, and 1/2 cup corn.
D - Tacos! (grnd beef, tomatoes, lettuce, flour tortillas) & sliced apples.

Snacks - 1 bag popcorn (my portion bags, from now on, when I say bag of popcorn)
and...
Peanut butter crackers.

I think I can handle that. So what if I had a bad day yesterday?! What do I tell everyone else, when they have a bad day? Big deal, you'll do better tomorrow. Well, big deal. I had my first breakdown after 3 weeks of doing awesome. One day isn't something to really get mad at myself about!

Today will be better. I'll work out longer, drink more water (almost done with the first bottle of five!), pamper myself a little later on, and feel less guilty about things I did yesterday!

Also -- has anyone ever had a really bad, large burn, which left a large, gross scar? If so, did you ever get rid of the scar? How? Any good stuff to get rid of burn scars with?

Have a GREAT day today, everybody! Today is the day. =)
Old 03-03-2004, 04:28 PM   #199  
"workin' on my fitness"

Lucy, I once had a really, really bad burn when I worked at McDonalds in my teen years...lol. Silvadine cream, to reduce the heat/pain, and pure Vitamin E capsules, popped, and slathered on the scar/burn area. Worked for me- I can't even tell where the burn was, 15 years later. Vitamin E works on other marks, too- at least it always has for me.
Old 03-03-2004, 04:42 PM   #200  
LucyKitty

Jennifer, thanks! It's healed and all, so I'm past the icky, horrible, smelly silvadine cream, YAY! (That stuff is SO GROSS. It just turns a gross silvery-green and gets slimy... ew!) I'll try the vitamin E capsules... I use a body was every day that has shea butter and extra vitamin e, but it doesn't seem to help... Thanks!!
Old 03-03-2004, 07:42 PM   #201  
northernclipper

Hello chickies

Sounds like everyone is doing great and I think alot of that has to do with our great motivator Jennifer. I still have lost another pound but, I w-i tomorrow and have my fingers crossed. I have been taking my nightly walk and doing the treadmill and other excerises I'm hoping to see some results.

Good luck to all and stay op.
Old 03-03-2004, 08:22 PM   #202  
"workin' on my fitness"

Angry Back again, and enamored with that darned bike!

NorthernClipper! Awesome, chickie! I'm going to wait until weigh in...I may have to award more than just that pound! Keep it up- you're doing great!!!

This increased exercise is sure making me hungry- I do have to get closer to my full #s- I'm usually under, and don't have the snacks that I'm entitled to, but for the last 2 days, I've needed them.

Today's snack when I got home was 1 slice provelone, 1 slice light oatmeal bread, and less than 1/2 tsp peanut butter.

Then, I finished 1 school lesson & assignment tonight, so I turned that in, and did the 30 minute ShortCuts for lower body tape.

Dinner was 1 can of Chickarina soup, 2 slices of light oatmeal bread, 2 slices of provelone cheese, and a smear of honey mustard.

Now, that demon bike is calling me...I can hear it from clear across the house...it even drowns out chocolate and milano cookies. Which is a first for me. I'm an addict now. A shameless floozie giving in to the allure of the bike. You know you're gone when you start thinking about your next ride. I have to have hubby watch me...if I start pedaling in my sleep, it might be time to take the bike away.

If someone had told me 3 months ago that I'd be looking for ways to fit exercise into my day, and doing it, even when I'm tired, or cranky, or just feeling lazy, I'd have told them to get their head examined. Friday night we were just going to stop at the store for a few things....3 months ago I would have stayed in the car & let hubby run in....this time, I opened the doors to go in with him, surprising him. Monday, same thing. add a few steps, move a bit more, and the body's not protesting the way it did in early January. My back doesn't hurt when I stand...I get through the whole 30 minutes/2mile WATP without wheezing so bad that I have to sit down. Sure, I sweat and breathe heavy & get red, but I don't stop 4 or 5 times in the first mile.

Continuous progress...building on what I've done so far...yup, that's the plan.

Now off to spend some quality time with the new exercise equipment in my life. LOL

Have a great night, chickies!
Old 03-03-2004, 08:44 PM   #203  
motomom

S/C/G: 199/182/164

Height: 5'2"

Default One more day...

of NO sugar! I wrote last night before I went downstairs and ate one mini pb cup. Not so bad because I really wanted more, but today was a new day and so far...no sugar. I have probably over compensated, however because here's the run down on the day:

Exercise: None, so far! (Plan to do the bike for 30 minutes when I am done with putting DD to bed tonight...wanted to do it earlier, but it never happened!)
Water: Only got in 48 oz. so far...the night is young...I am hoping to get at least 64 before the night is over! Gulp, gulp, gulp!

B-fast: the usual oatmeal with raisins, cranberries, pecans & milk with some splenda.

Morning snack: Banana

Lunch: My homemade veggie soup with some extra peas and carrots from work and some brown rice. A diet coke. I was FULL!

PM snack(s): Almonds at my desk...a couple of small handfuls. I didn't count how many I ate, but I am sure it was more than one ounce. Probably a dozen or so! A small snack bag of Sun chips. A cup of SF hot chocolate. (that's pretty much a meal in itself, isn't it?)

Supper: Bowl of chili w/ parmesan cheese & 2 T. sour cream (light) and one piece of garlic toast.

I am sure I am well over my allotted calories for the day...but I haven't eaten any sugar...and I really really wanted some this afternoon. Went to the snack machine (WITH MONEY) and even went to my co-workers stash of chocolate and didn't take one! I did end up with the bag of sun chips which probably wasn't exactly what I should have done, but hey, the goal is NO sugar, right???

I feel pretty full right now and really don't want to go exercise, but I do need to...that was another part of my goal...everyday at least 20 minutes!

Onto you all............................................... ...................................

Jennifer--glad you are back among us. sorry to hear about the curse of the butt! Owee! And...as always, you rock, bike hussy, you! Which name would you like us to use when addressing you? There are so many to choose from!!! LOL!!

Lucy--You are right! Take your own advice. You are doing great chickie poo. You must be starving on that menu! I would be, for sure! Keep up the great work!

Angie-it would be so much easier if I could team up with someone else who isn't "doing" sugar! Ya want to? We can have our own little challenge! Like Mary & Jennifer. Let's see who can go the longest days without sugar? Maybe you can come up with a creative way to do this which will motivate us...or anyone else! Got any ideas?

Mary--I love the name you coined for Jennifer! You gals are working your a**es off! Great going!

2sw--you are on a roll, chickie! Keep up the good work! Just easing by, aren't you?

If I forgot oanyone, I apologize. Just tucked in my daughter (loooong interruption) and fell asleep on her bed. I'm bushed, so the exercise isn't going to get done tonight! Call me a liar! I am just tired...PMS and a full stomach! Not a good combo!

Catch y'all in the am! I won't post until AFTER I have done my full workout in the AM, so it might not be until tomorrow afternoon. Hope you all have a great Thursday.

More later...
Old 03-04-2004, 06:08 AM   #204  
LucyKitty

Ok, girlies. Here's a recipe, and you just might hate me for it, if you're on a low-carb diet or something, but it is WELL WORTH eating lightly during the day for. I LOVE this, and it's my husband's favorite dish in the world.

As promised, and I hope you guys like shrimp... my recipe. =) It's simple, but elegant, delicious, and healthy!

* pasta for as many ppl as you are going to serve (I use about 1/2 of a 12 oz package for a recipe, so he can take it to work for lunch the next day) - Use ANGEL HAIR or thin spaghetti.
* Olive Oil (i don't measure)
* about 30 medium-sized shrimplets, raw, peeled, de-tailed and de-veined
* 4 tbsp fake-butter (super-low cal is the best...)
* minced garlic or fresh, chopped garlic (around 1 whole garlic bulb, or 2 large spoonfuls of minced)
* "It's a Dilly" spice (awesome stuff)
* Garlic Salt
* Fresh ground black pepper
* Parsley

Put the shrimp, butter, garlic in a pan & sautee them until they're well-cooked. No sense in making yourself sick. =) While they're cookin', cook that pasta. To the shrimp pan, add a bunch of garlic salt, pepper and It's A Dilly -- as much as you like. I like a ton of garlic, and it's great for you.

Basically, you just sautee those shrimplets until fully cooked. Toss the cooked pasta with a little bit of olive oil to make sure it doesn't stick, and pour the yummy shrimp sauce over the pasta. Sprinkle with parsley, and serve with a salad!

It sounds a little naughty, but it's not that bad, and shrimp is AWESOME for you. You can, of course, add wonderful other seafoods like lobster (in chunks), scallops, clams and even chunks of fish, if you want. It's a great dish, and if you use more fish than pasta, it's not too bad. =)

Hope you guys like it!
Old 03-04-2004, 06:10 AM   #205  
LucyKitty

As for today... good day. =) Figured out why my workout was lacking -- I forgot my ankle weights! D'oh!! So I used 'em today, and I'll use 'em again tomrrow. Yay for me!!

No ice cream freakout today, and under my calorie levels for the day, too!! Came in right around 1000... which may seem low, but keep in mind, my NORMAL intake is only around 1350, on a high day. =)

Have a great night, girls!! You guys are doing AWESOME!
Old 03-04-2004, 07:28 AM   #206  
motomom

S/C/G: 199/182/164

Height: 5'2"

Default Mornin' Chickies!

Ahhhh! Ya hear that? It's my body sighing because it just finished 25 minutes on the bike. It felt good. One day missed and I felt like something was really missing.

So anyway, exercise behind me...TOM halfway through...maybe...and I'm feeling pretty good this morning. Gotta get my butt moving so I'm not late this morning. I give myself til 7:30 to hop in the shower, so I have 7 minutes left! LOL.

Food Plan today:
Eating B-fast as I type: Cheerios, banana, milk (NO splenda!)
AM snack: a hunk of cheese
Lunch: My famous soup with some rice and maybe some extra veggies (I am usually constipated during TOM...I know, too much info, but...I have really been pushing the veggies this time and viola!...no problems!!!)
PM Snack: Hopefully only almonds at my desk! I will need some protein by then. Am getting tired of almonds, though...may go buy some cashews at the dollar store (only $2.00)
Supper: Yet to be determined: DD and I are on our own, so probably just a salad for me and some chicken strips for her. (I may have one sliced on my salad, we shall see!)

Plan to do my weights when I get home tonight! I never seem to have time for myself after work, so AM is best! We shall see!

I have 3 minutes left, so I'm ahead of schedule now! Woohoo! Have a great day and will check in later!

Hugs to all!
Old 03-04-2004, 10:19 AM   #207  
"workin' on my fitness"

Angry Thursday

Good Morning! Another busy day here....I have clients coming in over the next 3 hours, so I won't get a break in the action for a while.

Did 10 minutes on the bike last night- just a hair under 3 miles.

This morning, so far:

Breakfast:
1 apple & cinnamon cottage double
1oz fat free garden veggie cheese
1/3 cup smart start

Lunch is thawing as we speak
3/4 cup ditalini
3/4 cup meat sauce
little sprinkling of parmesan cheese- I remembered to bring our "almost empty" canister of that to work to leave in the fridge here.

Only on my first 24oz of water. I've been hitting 4 full glasses each day this week, and then I'm drinking caffeine free diet soda at home with dinner- our water is crappy city water..not that great to drink. I have to make sure I get my 5 glasses in starting next week, and remember my vitamins- I can't find my old lady pill minder thingie. I think one of the cats might have gotten it & buried it somewhere. LOL

No idea about dinner...but I think I'm going to do the 2 mile WATP tonight, and the UB workout again.
Hope everyone is gearing up for the weekend! One and a half days left!
Old 03-04-2004, 10:57 AM   #208  
northernclipper

Hello everyone

I just got back from my w-i and I lost my 1st pound in three weeks. I'm headed for the treadmill and walk off some more. Jennifer I understand your addiction to the bike mine is with the treadmill(it owns me). I couldn't have it with the bike because I couldn't get passed the sore butt. I walk enough not to get sore legs thus the affair with the treadmill and the bikes in the basement. I see you put alot of miles on keep up the great work and hit your 100mile goal. I'll try to match you on the treadmill.

Jennifer I agree with you the more excerise you do the hungry you get. I find that if alot of that excerise is outdoors you'll be even more hungry.

b-tea and oatmeal
l- salmon on ww bread, water, no fat creme yogurt
s-grapes
d-mashed potato, corn,and small meat patty and no fat clear gravy
s- banana

sw 171
cw160
gw 140

Last edited by northernclipper; 03-04-2004 at 11:06 AM.
Old 03-04-2004, 11:30 AM   #209  
~Insane Java Turtle~

Default Hello Chickedees!

Good going Northernclipper. Everyone is doing great and it's such a chore staying motivated, but doesn't it feel good when you do? I'm up to my eyeballs in laundry today. Washing, drying, folding, hanging etc. At least it makes the house smell nice. I hung some clothes on my treadmill's rail while I was folding towels and I felt terrible. Flashback the the $250.00 kickboxing workout gym that became a $250.00 clothes rack. But it's just temporary, I'm putting them away as I make room in the closet. Plus my exercise is at noon. I watch a show at 1100 (Starting Over) does anyone else watch that?
I have a preemployment meeting in the morning to see if I qualify as a displaced or dislocated worker. If I do, which they tell me I will, I'll start these classes. It sounded kind of corny, "vertical and horizontal relationships with bosses and coworkers, how to get your life to a point where you're able to get yourself to work every day and help on resumes". Well, I've been working at my present job for over twelve years and I rarely if EVER call off sick, I'm NEVER late and I think I know how to get myself to a point where I can get to work every day. But when they move your office fifty miles away from your home, that presents a problem. The resume help will be nice, I can use that, but the other stuff sounds weird. I have a resume, but it could use an overhaul. These classes can't hurt. Problem is, it's going to cut into my sleep. Now I know that might sound lazy or uninterested to some, but it would be like "normal" people having to stay up until 0300 in the morning. But I'm willing to sacrifice. I have to, things have got to change for this turtle, or she's going to lose her shell.
Well, another load of clothes is about dry. Keep on staying motivated and getting all that exercise in. I think we're all doing great.
Old 03-04-2004, 02:31 PM   #210  
"workin' on my fitness"

Angry

Afternoon, chickies! Ahhh...it's a better afternoon now- trying to get more things into closing. Clients are done for the day, now just a lot of paperwork, and shuffling things around.

It's that time again....LOL

NorthernClipper- It's official! LOL you're doing so well- keep up your hard work!

Ok, and I'll take you up on that mini-challenge Although we might need to make it 100 miles biked / 50 miles walked so that you still have legs when we're done. And I have a few days head start on you..I'll let you decide.

(((Mary))) I hope they do classify you as a displaced worker, so you can get all those programs & benefits. Keep us informed, and I will keep my fingers crossed for you, girl.

Will ba back later...I hope Friends is not a repeat- if it is, I'm just going to do schoolwork instead. Bleah...I deserve a night of mindless TV every once in a while, and with "24" off until the end of the month...I need SOMETHING...LOL

Have a good afternoon!
Closed Thread