Old 11-04-2009, 02:53 PM   #91  
Portion Control

Height: 5'3"

Thanks guys for letting me into your group.

Dance - my husband says I am not discriminating when it comes to popcorn, no matter how crappy it is. LOL I have been known to skip dinner when I am going to the movies and make a meal of popcorn.

Lindy- I love Jillian. Bring it on - you can kick my arse anytime.
PopcornGal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2009, 02:58 PM   #92  

S/C/G: See signature

Height: 5'5

Dance- it did go away, after I ate lunch! lol. Um, there are guys here or there, lol...its kinda fun to date and "play the field", because I ultimately have the final say on what I do or do not want to do, aside from that, I get like 3 free meals a week, lol...so thats always a bonus. I know it will get old though, it already is at times, have been separated from my husband for 10 months now, hard to believe, but the experience is good for me.

Tiff- we do have comcast here but I also have Directv and they have something like that. In fact, they have FitTv, which has exercise on 24 hours...omg...I totally forgot I had that, thank you so much! lol Now, lets get you back on track girl. Common, no more excuses, if you cant always stay on plan at least make smarter decisions. Furthermore, pack snacks, pack snack up the ying yang (aka arse,lol) so that you arent going to cheat. You did so well starting off, lets not make this our normal thing this time. We have all lost weight and gained or lost weight and stopped at out non-desired goal weight, NO--NOT THIS TIME!!! This is not why you joined this forum, get your bootay in gear, you having a wedding that is quickly creeping up on you and were not even in the holiday temptation season yet! Ok...enough of my Jillian alter ego, we love you and want to see you succeed. What can WE do to help you? Hmmmmm....
luckylindy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2009, 03:10 PM   #93  

S/C/G: 280/265.2/150

Popcorngal-Welcome!!I just joined this wonderful group of women also.They have been such a support in just 2 short days.I have learned so much and they have gotten me up and moving.

Dance-let us know about the DVD's.I'm open to try something different.I have Fios with some of them on demand which I should try to see if I find a good one to start.

AJ-Don't be sorry for me repeating about the gym.I wasn't too sure if I had posted it anyway.I do think I'm going to start back soon.
luvmy3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2009, 03:21 PM   #94  

S/C/G: 185/183/130

Dance- I am not always successful at it but I found that benadryl or ambien on the hardest nights are my saving grace. When I wake up, I am fine. Also, avoiding starches (I know they are good for mood) makes me less hungry. Its so weird and hard but it really helps. I chugged the hot tea too so my tummy was really full when I laid back down! What do you crave at night?

Lindy- I agree. Going out is like one irresistible temptation after another. I went to walmart while I was hungry last night and just pinched my back fat every time I saw fried chicken or bread ect... Remind myself why I am not eating it!!!

Tiff- I am still proud that you are moving in the right direction. And come back even if you are not eating right. We are not here to hate =)

PopcornGal- Welcome and my dad is the same way with popcorn. Esp movie popcorn. When I was gorwing up he would order a large popcorn. Offer us a bit at teh beginning and eat it all himself = ) lol.

Luv- I got the core rhythms dvd off of ebay a while back which is latin dance sponsored by SO you think you can dance. I loved it but I just honestly get lost when things get more complicated. I can always do the basic and I'm like "YEAH! I am doing good!" Then they add more moves and I am like a dog on slick ice. lol.

Is every body having a great day?
ajowens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2009, 04:31 PM   #95  

Mmmmm! Discovery! There is a new crystal light that is strawberry banana (not my favorite) that is hunger buster. It has tons of fiber and protein and 30 cals!! HUGE. And I am really full. Wow. =)
Old 11-04-2009, 06:05 PM   #96  

S/C/G: 206/see ticker/145

Height: 5'6"

aj - your 'pinch the back fat' technique had me cracking up! too funny. I will seriously give that a try the next time temptation rears its ugly head! Am off to get in my 4.4 before some community service stuff tonight but will be back with you gals later on...
dancerindenver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2009, 06:48 PM   #97  
Making Peace With Food

S/C/G: 215/153.4/120

Height: 5'4"

AJ: I will do three more long runs before the race 11, 12 and 13 miles. I only run outdoors but do cross training on the elliptical and cycling. I also was cracking up at your "pinch the back fat" method...I am going to try it...nothing like a little cognitive behavioral therapy right?

DANCE: I also sometimes buy fruity green teas (right now I have grapefruit, blueberry and peach) and mix them with sweetner and Vitamin C powder for kick. This is tolerable, if not even enjoyable =-)

LUV: I think as long as you are within calorie range you are probably okay...but as Dance mentioned I've also found though that when the bulk of what I eat is high carb/starchy sweet stuff that It is much harder for me to control my calories and I still want to eat because my body is craving substance...so in that respect it can affect your diet.

LINDY: As far as workout DVD's go some of my fav's are Yoga Booty Ballet and also Bollywood Burn.

Welcome STACIE and POPCORNGAL!!!

As for me I ended with about maintinence calories yesterday...meh...blah...today should be better though. I a me with a personal trainer at the Y today (I won three sessions from a contest we did a few months ago!) and so she is going to set me up with a schedule and I am currently highly motivated to kick my a$$ into gear. I also just found out that I'm going to be required to dress up for this big gala for work on the 12th...also motivation as some of my favorite outfits are yet a bit snug. So my first goal of the challenge is to be 148 by the gala...a bit ambitious but I always lose weight more quickly at the beginning of a challenge. As far as excercise today I did 45 min on the Elliptical and am planning on riding my bike to and from my friends house this eve. Food is going to be a little rough as I am going to a potluck and will be unable to control my calories like I can when I eat at home...oh well I'm just going to do the best I can.

Talk to Ya Later!
SimpleRhythm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2009, 07:18 PM   #98  

S/C/G: 236/see ticker/150

Dance-I think I could handle the tea with nothing, I like splenda too. I tried stevia but just dont like the taste of it. Good idea getting those dvds for when you cant get out in the snow.

Lindy-I love all the reading too, great to see it so active lately. Doing 30ds was hard, most days I really had to push myself do get up and do it. The last few days were the worst cos I was sick, but it felt so good to actually finish.

Mygrits-I recommend the wii for something on days when you want to stay in, I dont use it as often as I used to but its still nice to have. Wish I would have waited on wii fit plus now.

Luv-great job getting out for a walk this morning. That is my goal for myself tomorrow, to go for a walk. I didnt get to go today, had company all day, then it gets dark so early now, I hate that. Thanks for the tip on the Biggest Loser wii game. I will have to go get that since its half off.

AJ-I have been getting hungry again at night the last few nights, that hasnt happened to me in so long. I just try to ignore it and go to bed, making the tea will help me too. I had a good day, Bandit turned 2 today. He got lots of goodies. I'll have to try that new crystal light, thanks. Pinch the back fat, you are too funny.

Staccie-glad you are back, we missed you. Too bad your mom wasnt more supportive. I have to let my sister and mom know to help me out when I go down in December. Are you in on this challenge??

Popcorn-WELCOME!!!! A lot of us are calorie counters and we all help each other out with everything(personal, weight loss, etc) Cant wait to get to know you. My two dogs are my walking buddies, but now that its getting cold they dont like being out there too long.

Tiff-how much water are you drinking? Hope you finally get your thyroid figured out. Tennis sounds fun, havent played in years. Have fun. You mentioned comcast, I dont have that but I have a channel called veria that has yoga and pilates, I should record some.

Simple-what luck winning sessions with a trainer. I wish it was still bike riding season here. Good luck at the pot luck, just pick wisely and you will do fine.

Today was ok, I did have a cupcake. But I knew I was going to. Didnt get a walk in, I wanted to so bad but was busy all morning, had company all day, then was dark when they left. I am going tomorrow. Was supposed to work tonight but the 2 year old and his dad have H1N1, so I am staying far away from them for now. The mom is a nurse so hopefully they keep it there and not spread it, but I think she still plans on working tomorrow.

Already planning for Thanksgiving. Not making enough for an army like we usually do. Gonna buy a turkey on Friday. What is everyone planning for Thanksgiving.

Gotta get up and put a dvd in and get moving. The night is dragging by so if I workout that should help. Have a great night everyone.
burgundyrayne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2009, 07:30 PM   #99  

Simple- Just ordered Yoga Booty Ballet lol. I am excited.

Burgundy- I like tea as long as it has honey and I am out like a light. =) HAPPY BIRTHDAY SWEET PUPPY!!!!

Just worked out. Feeling weak though. I am wanting chicken wings. Boneless though. Not sure whats going on with me =)
Old 11-04-2009, 07:48 PM   #100  

S/C/G: 280/265.2/150

Okay I have a question for you ladies about the amount of calories I should be consuming?As you said and according to The Biggest Loser game I should be taking in around 2000 but when I put all the info in on Daily Plate I get 1450.Which do you suppose is right?
luvmy3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2009, 09:03 PM   #101  
aka Vicky

S/C/G: 275/Ticker/175

Height: 5'8"

Luvmy3: I would start with the higher calories and then work your way down, especially since you want to succeed. I think if you deprive yourself of calories too much at first, the weight will come off, but you are more likely to feel deprived and then binge. Start with 2000 and then work your way down. That's the way I did it and it really seemed to work...especially since you and I were so close in starting weights.

Simple: Don't feel bad for meeting your calories...at least you didn't go over! I'm so impressed by your running. I have trouble running...my max is 1.5 miles, which I have never been able to do before now. Have fun with the trainer! I have one as well (you will here me refer to him as Mr. Hott...as he is a super nice/cute guy and his last name is Hott). He has made such a difference in my weight loss and even though he makes me suffer physically, I have yet to plateau, he gets me in the gym, and gives me a great work out.

Burgundy: Stay away from the H1N1 family...that is some nasty stuff! I had a co-worker who's son had it and it totally floored him for a long period of time.

Popcorngal: Welcome to the group! Sounds like you will fit right in with us.

AJ: Tried something new today...didn't have any soda!! I actually had the Lipton iced tea (I had a raspberry and a green tea with honey). Both were sweetened tea, but tasted really good. Kept me full as well.

For the new ladies, I will re-introduce myself. I'm Vicky, 30, live in Chicago with my hubby and my 2 year old. Been overweight my whole life, but when I turned 30 I realized I didn't want to spend another year unhappy and have my weight keep me from doing things I want to do...especially keeping up with my little girl. I joined a company that is very into health of their employees and started WW at work, and they pay for my gym membership as long as I use it, so I started going, then got the trainer. I'm about half way to my goal and these ladies here have been such a great support and inspiration. I've been with this group since January and the amount of help you get here is indispensible.

Had an ok day, not spectacular. I was running all over our building today with 28 managers from different countries. I must have walked miles around that building (in 3 inch heels no less, and a business suit). Had to have lunch with the managers and the officers of our company (no pressure or anything), so I had a small plate of pasta with a little alfredo sauce and grilled veggies with a small side caesar. They also had desserts, small portions of 4 different desserts so I had a bite or two of each dessert (shame on me, I know, but it had been a looooooooooooooooong day). I'm so exhausted, physically and mentally, that I can't make it to the gym. Plus, Madeline now has a fever of over 100, so I'm going to be emotionally drained as well. So, I have to work tomorrow and then be home with a sick baby in the afternoon. I will go to the gym tomorrow...I have to.

Well, this post is extremely long, so I will talk to you ladies later.
MaddiesMom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2009, 09:38 PM   #102  

quick check in from me - did my run *right* before it got dark, cold and scary and then spent a few hours doing community service stuff and am starved. And freezing from not bringing a coat tonight so - yeah- you guessed it! It's looking like another 'calgon, take me away' kind of evening so that I can get warmed up. Are you guys even old enough to know what I'm talking about?

AJ - I will drink decaf tea right before I go to bed to ward off the munchie monster - good luck with the same on your end! Did you get in your miles?

Lindy - you too?
Old 11-04-2009, 10:02 PM   #103  
Portion Control

Thanks for all the background information. I will try to keep all of you straight.

MaddiesMom- sorry to hear your little girl is sick.

Burgundy - glad to hear there is another dog lover in the group. My guy loves the cold weather because he is a hairy Sheepdog named Harry.

SimpleRhythm - the gala sounds like the perfect incentive.

Dancer - I am old enough to know what Calgon is. I am heading to the green tea end of day too.

Tonight I was thrown a bit of a curve ball on the diet but I think I handled it okay. We had to do some unexpected PR for the program that we participate in on Wednesdays where kids read aloud to the dog at the library. The program is new this year and the library made some posters for local businesses. I took three to try to drop off at neighborhood businesses - not easy since it is a historic area in the inner city of St. Louis and there are not a lot of kid type of businesses. Anyway I took one to a coffee house and managed to get in and out without succumbing to the several varieties of gooey butter cake. Then onto a new little French cafe that recently opened with the most outstanding croissants. I had already made up my mind that I would just buy a few croissants for hubby. Then I asked when they are going to start serving soup and found out that they just started. Uh oh - I want to support this place as it is trying to make a go of it in a really cool area. So I take some. It is a large cup of French Onion soup (no croutons thankfully but she did put in shredded cheese). The worst part though was that it came with one of those delicious croissants.

My solution: split my croissant with Harry. So I was able to indulge for a taste without blowing all of my calories and still made it in at my goal of 1200 -1300 calories a day.

Last edited by PopcornGal; 11-04-2009 at 10:04 PM.
PopcornGal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2009, 11:04 PM   #104  

Vicky- I am so sorry that Maddie is sick. Good for you walking today! I am a heal girl but I can't walk long distances in them =)

Popcorngal!!- OMG thats what I want. (the sheepdog) Can I see pictures?? I have two small dogs and my next and final dog will be a huge one! I also like Tibetan terrier.

Dance- I will drink my tea too. I did get my miles in. It was hard because I am weak. I had a F*&cking boneless wing from buffalo wild wings tonight. All I have had today is my eggs, orange and some veggies so I think I am okay but OMG it was so good. =( Going to bed now!
Old 11-05-2009, 08:20 AM   #105  

Morning, ladies!

Luv - just wanted to post a quick answer before I get to other stuff. Thedailyplate, which I absolutely love for calorie tracking, is a little different about exercise calories (so I ignore that part, although I still like tracking the exercise minutes)- their thought, which many dieters on 3FC don't agree with, is that you can eat back your calories. For example, TDP (thedailyplate) says I should eat something like 1100 cal/day to lose two pounds a week but that's with no exercise. If I run and burn 500 cal (according to TDP which is notorious for overestimating calories burnt), then according to them I can eat 1700 cal that day. This is called 'eating back your calories'. I took the advice of successful folk around here and I stick to my own limit and ignore that part of the tool. I've been eating around 1400 all summer and losing an average of 2lbs a week but with small exceptions (like really long hike days) I haven't been eating back my calories. Does that help at all? I was really confused about that issue too. You can definitely use TDP for food and exercise tracking, just track your food calories to a different goal number in your head and use the exercise part for keeping track of minutes exercised. Hope this helps!

ETA - just to clarify, I got the 1400 number using that calculator link I mentioned earlier and following the advice of other similarly sized and aged folks. Sounds like for you right now that number is around 2000ish but will change over time as you lose weight.

Last edited by dancerindenver; 11-05-2009 at 08:24 AM.