Chicks in Control Overeating? Binging? Share uplifting support and gain control!

Old 08-06-2012, 12:47 PM   #1  
From Lazy to Light!

S/C/G: 215/Ticker/170

Height: 5'6"

Default Binge Box

So I came up with this idea this morning and I want your thoughts. I'm a calorie counter but I think this could work for other diet styles as well.

The "binge box" would be a shoe box or whatever filled with some of my most common cravings and binge foods (but small and portioned). The total amount of those calories would be added into my weekly calorie goal. I could then choose to spread these treats out over the week or binge and eat the whole box at once. But from a weight loss perspective I wouldn't lose because those calories are already accounted for.

Here is an example of a box:

My daily calorie goal:....1,400-1,500
My weekly calorie goal: 9,800-10,500
My box contents:
...-2 Cans of Sprite:.....190
...-Oreo Snack Pack:....270
...-Lay's BBQ Chips:......190
...-Butterfinger:...........290
...-Hostess Choc Cake: 450
Box total:...................1,390
Weekly total with box:..8,500-9,110
Daily goal with box:......1,215-1,300

Now I realize this isn't healthy long term but as a short term crutch while trying to overcome binge-eating, this may be helpful. If I can learn to spread the box out throughout the week and then maybe slowly replace certain items with healthier options, or remove certain ones altogether, I can take a step closer to my goals.

Last edited by LovelyLeah; 08-06-2012 at 12:51 PM. Reason: formatting
LovelyLeah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2012, 01:35 PM   #2  
Staying the Same

S/C/G: 160+/116-120/maintainer

Height: 5'5

I think this has the potential to backfire terribly and wonder why you would seek out these things if you binge on them?

Or is this a safety chute like smoking cessation, when you keep a few in a pack just so you don't panic when they're "all gone?" Because I definitely do that and can see how this would work re: playing tricks on yourself.

However I think with binge eating, it's generally safer to abstain from trigger foods altogether than to try and reason with yourself. If we were all capable of using logic and reason, none of us would have a weight problem or would ever binge eat...
krampus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2012, 01:57 PM   #3  

S/C/G: 275-280/see ticker/150

Height: 5' 6.5"

I personally keep a few binge items around but don't open the packages. I still have chocolates from Christmas! I think its really all about finding a method that works for you. I've learned though that when I'm feeling my weakest I give things like donuts to a friend so its no longer mine and I don't touch the package. Don't get me wrong, I still binge at times but I try and switch my binge items to healthier versions of what I want.
ilidawn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2012, 02:49 PM   #4  

Height: 5'4

Quote:
Originally Posted by krampus View Post
I think this has the potential to backfire terribly and wonder why you would seek out these things if you binge on them?...
I have to agree. It's all dependent on what works for you of course, but this seems like a good way to sit around and focus on the box sitting in the cupboard downstairs.
JossFit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2012, 03:05 PM   #5  

Height: 5ft3

Quote:
Originally Posted by JossFit View Post
I have to agree. It's all dependent on what works for you of course, but this seems like a good way to sit around and focus on the box sitting in the cupboard downstairs.
I agree too, it's bad enough for me with binge triggers sitting in a shop up the road -
Jalsa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2012, 05:00 PM   #6  

Height: 4'11"

I think the idea that if you don't DEPRIVE yourself of things that you like to eat, you will be less likely to full-on binge is sound. If this box of treats works for you to give yourself some "goodies" without over-doing it, then it's a great idea.

For me, deprivation doesn't work. If I crave ice cream, and I tell myself I'm "not allowed" to eat it because it's not on my plan, what ends up happening is I just get mad and rebel and eat EVERYTHING when I could have just had the thing that I was craving.

I think the binge box can work. I give myself 1 treat to enjoy every day. Would I lose weight faster if I wasn't having one treat per day? Yeah technically. But I know if I deprive myself, eventually willpower will fade, and I will end up bingeing.

Let us know how this works out for you!!!
ravensglen3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2012, 05:07 PM   #7  
I can do anything!

S/C/G: 267/Ticker/150 & BAMF

Height: 5'9.5"

Quote:
Originally Posted by ravensglen3 View Post
I think the idea that if you don't DEPRIVE yourself of things that you like to eat, you will be less likely to full-on binge is sound. If this box of treats works for you to give yourself some "goodies" without over-doing it, then it's a great idea.

For me, deprivation doesn't work. If I crave ice cream, and I tell myself I'm "not allowed" to eat it because it's not on my plan, what ends up happening is I just get mad and rebel and eat EVERYTHING when I could have just had the thing that I was craving.

I think the binge box can work. I give myself 1 treat to enjoy every day. Would I lose weight faster if I wasn't having one treat per day? Yeah technically. But I know if I deprive myself, eventually willpower will fade, and I will end up bingeing.

Let us know how this works out for you!!!
I am totally the opposite. Complete abstinence from those kinds of foods is the only way I can get them out of my head. I don't see it as depriving myself of foods I love because I feel like eating them deprives me of having the healthy body I want. They are empty calories. What's the point? I've shifted my focus to better alternatives and don't feel triggered to binge anymore. I don't feel like there's any reason to tempt yourself with garbage... Find some reasonable replacements, with actual nutritional value, and use them instead. You'll find over time that the prepackaged junk food is disgusting, anyway.
ValRock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2012, 06:48 PM   #8  

Height: 5'4

Quote:
Originally Posted by ValRock View Post
I am totally the opposite. Complete abstinence from those kinds of foods is the only way I can get them out of my head. I don't see it as depriving myself of foods I love because I feel like eating them deprives me of having the healthy body I want. They are empty calories. What's the point? I've shifted my focus to better alternatives and don't feel triggered to binge anymore. I don't feel like there's any reason to tempt yourself with garbage... Find some reasonable replacements, with actual nutritional value, and use them instead. You'll find over time that the prepackaged junk food is disgusting, anyway.

This is exactly why I'm making the switch to natural foods. I find that even the low calorie things I had been adding to my meals were making me crave sugary things, probably because of the chemicals and artificial sweeteners. When I eat things like that it just sends off that signal to my body for more and more.

Abstaining completely works for me. Once I've been eating clean for a while I find that I don't even want to deviate from my normal healthy meals because of several reasons; I don't crave those foods (or rarely do), I don't want to put that stuff in my body, and I don't want to go through the whole process of "detoxing" it out again!
JossFit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2012, 08:53 PM   #9  

Quote:
Originally Posted by ValRock View Post
ValRock and Jossfit - I am the same way. I am about to go on my vaca with my fam and I know that they will try to put weight on me in places where only unhealthy food is available - but thats a temporary part in my life. When I am come back, I am (minus my diet snapple!) I am natural foods all the way - just like I am now. Junk food makes me more distressed - I get a carbo sugar high (I've had high blood sugar and its also in my fam so maybe I am prone to it) and then the crash, so "cheat days" and all that don't work for me and doesn't give me any sort of emotional relief. I just don't see the point for me - if it doesn't give me joy to eat junk food, then I might as well eat the natural foods. I forgot who, but as someone said its all about the 80/20 - as long as I am the way I am for long term - temporary "blips" don't matter. I don't expect to be perfect all the time, but for the most part I just try to eat all natural.

Last edited by pixelllate; 08-06-2012 at 08:54 PM.
pixelllate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2012, 09:58 PM   #10  

S/C/G: 191/149/135

Height: 5'8

I couldn't do it, I couldn't have binge foods/junk food in my home. I would obess and eventually cave-and probably keep going too. Keeping only healthy food in the house is my only way to beat this. And the more I avoid junk food altogether, the less I miss it.
Mer du Japon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2012, 10:56 PM   #11  
Tai

S/C/G: 272/111/Maintaining

Height: 5'4"

I wouldn't be very successful with a binge box around. I think even if I was able to eat just one item a day it would just keep the cravings going. More than likely I would eat the whole box in one sitting.

Don't make things harder for yourself!
Tai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2012, 11:22 PM   #12  
Still Chubby

S/C/G: 79.8/72.5/66kg

Height: 172cm

I think if that works for you, awesome! Accounting for the calories is what matters.

It would be a disaster for me. If its there, I'll eat it whether I really want it or not.
tinneranne2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2012, 12:42 AM   #13  
onedayatatimer

S/C/G: 224/ticker/145-155

Height: 5'9.5"

The only way to know is to try. Let us know how it works for you! I hope it does!
luckymommy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2012, 01:05 AM   #14  
Determined

Location: Initial goal was 150ish. Kept adjusting down to 135. Recently set new goal to 125! BMI Normal Weight!

S/C/G: 185.5 / 132 / 125

Height: 5 feet exactly

Depending on your personality, this might work for you/some people. A similar method works for me. I always have treats, I just watch the calories on everything I put into my mouth - healthy food + treat food. Being mindful helps everyone.
whiteone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2012, 01:07 AM   #15  

S/C/G: size 20/14/10

Height: 5' 7"

I came into this thread expecting something completely different. I was thinking binge box...something proactive to do to prevent a binge. Like some index cards with distractions (drink water, take a walk, watch a movie, call a friend, post on 3FC, do something to keep your hands busy--like knit, etc.) Maybe a bottle of water and some SF gum in there or some other totally safe, plan appropriate treat. Also, a small journal or a notebook so I could make a note of the situations, foods, moods that brought me to this place of desperation where I thought a binge might be the answer.
mariposssa is offline   Reply With Quote