Closed Thread

Old 08-17-2010, 03:50 PM   #211  
hunt and gatherer

S/C/G: 368/300/198

Height: 6'2"

Hah! Bob Wisdom? In the words of a favorite composer, “We only become wise when we calculate the approximate depth of our ignorance.” No doubt I'm addicted to learning about weight loss, health, nutrition, associated diseases, etc. And no doubt, the more I learn the more I realize I how much I don't know. But thanks for the comment, Sandy. Something is bugging me about my post on IF. I know I left a key group out of who shouldn't fast, but I cannot remember who they were. Maybe I should add memory research to the addiction because mine is sure faulty lately.
Old 08-17-2010, 07:24 PM   #212  
Last Timer

S/C/G: 175/150/127.5

Height: 5' 4"

I have been reading many of the success stories on MDA and there were folks on the Primal "diet" that had Parkinson's, Asperger Syndrome, Crohn's etc etc and found relief eating this way. There was a binge/purger successfully eating this way. Many cases of diabetes and high cholesterol/heart risk folks as well. I think when you have been living the nightmare of overweight so long, just knowing that you might have found the answer is addicting. You want to find out everything you can. Believe me my husband is sick of me talking about this stuff.

Bob- I have an addiction tendency as well. It is what keeps me motivated. In fact, in the past, I had to "discover" a new diet even if I had been successful on the last one 'cause I needed the adrenaline rush of discovery to motivate me.

As long as I can find new posts to read, new ebooks to download, new recipes to try, I can tolerate not having a pizza. And I really like pizza.

The funny thing about this "diet" is that I have to remember to eat. My anxiety level is way down. (We have our own business and it is down dramatically in this economy). I told my husband this morning that with business the way it is, I should be trying to find a bridge to jump off. But I feel strangely calm.

I think this is it!

Sandy

Last edited by sparky1946; 08-18-2010 at 10:26 AM.
Old 08-17-2010, 07:33 PM   #213  

S/C/G: 331 HW 299 June 2010/288/180?

Height: 5'4"

Sandy: Make meatza! Use a stone and make a ground meat 'crust' top with the fav toppings, there ya have it!

Or portabella mushroom pizzas I have heard are good too

I will keep some real recipes coming, so we can keep you addicted! lol
Old 08-17-2010, 08:34 PM   #214  
Last Timer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikkijoe View Post
Sandy: Make meatza! Use a stone and make a ground meat 'crust' top with the fav toppings, there ya have it!

Or portabella mushroom pizzas I have heard are good too

I will keep some real recipes coming, so we can keep you addicted! lol
Thanks, I appreciate your recipes.

I made meatza long before it was cool... However, the recipe called for the meat to go into a pie plate and then toppings on before baking. I think the last time I made it was in the 70s for my kids. I could have written the book "100 and 1 Ways to Cook Hamburger".

I do not remember the dish fondly, but I will try the crust version. I was previously (wrongly) diagnosed as gluten intolerant. I had a thing stuck down my throat to check out my little villi and they were OK, so technically I am not. During that time, I tried gluten-free pizza crusts and they tasted like cardboard. So I kind of gave up pizza. The chicken crust that somebody mentioned sounds intriguing, I may give that a shot.

Thanks again for your recipes, keep them coming.
Sandy
Old 08-17-2010, 10:25 PM   #215  

S/C/G: 175/161.6/130

Height: 5'6''

this morning is the beginning of day two on PBP and I feel exhausted. I just tried to ride my bike, I can usually easily do 15 miles in just about 2 hours, today i did 8 in an hour and a half. I feel weak. I really want a sandwich or a box of mac and cheese.
Old 08-17-2010, 10:35 PM   #216  
Ilene the Bean

BananaMarie, hang in there it gets easier, honest!
Old 08-17-2010, 11:45 PM   #217  

S/C/G: 175/161.6/130

Height: 5'6''

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ilene View Post
BananaMarie, hang in there it gets easier, honest!
Thank you for the encouraging words. I had myself some cottage cheese and a little spoon of peanut butter and I feel way better!
Old 08-18-2010, 08:46 AM   #218  

S/C/G: 180/178/150

Height: 5'2

BananaMarie- hang in there. I was very tired for about 2 weeks (I think) when I started as well. It was a good thing & a bad thing for me. Good cuz I dont sleep very well & at that time I was sleeping like I should. Bad cuz I was still drained all day. I do child care out of my home so it was even more exhausting for me.
Old 08-18-2010, 09:39 AM   #219  
Last Timer

Quote:
Originally Posted by BananaMarie View Post
this morning is the beginning of day two on PBP and I feel exhausted. I just tried to ride my bike, I can usually easily do 15 miles in just about 2 hours, today i did 8 in an hour and a half. I feel weak. I really want a sandwich or a box of mac and cheese.
Check out http://www.marksdailyapple.com/low-carb-flu/

It took me about 3 weeks to start to feel better.

Sandy
Old 08-18-2010, 12:03 PM   #220  
hunt and gatherer

Low carb dieting should come with a Surgeon General's warning:

"Eliminating grains and refined sugar from your diet is known to temporarily involve fatigue, brain fog, flu symptoms and withdrawal cravings."

I fiddled with all the "hot primal supplements" and who really knows if any benefited me, but I did report one (combination) that seemingly gave me a lot of good energy.

Acetyl L Carnitine and Alpha Lipoic Acid

I've never taken strong physical notice to the addition of any supplement, until this combo.
Old 08-18-2010, 12:47 PM   #221  
hunt and gatherer

Also the elimination of grains provokes a loss of retained water. I think this is a good thing -- for me a wonderful thing, but it includes the kidneys excreting a lot of minerals along with the water. Most are easy to replenish, but be sure to eat plenty of potassium rich foods.
Old 08-18-2010, 04:45 PM   #222  
Last Timer

My three grandkiddies are here right now and I am actually keeping up with them!!!!!!!!

This has never happened before. I think it is a combination of more energy and this primal calmness I am feeling.

Nana,

oops, I mean Sandy
Old 08-18-2010, 05:19 PM   #223  
Fighting the Good Fight

Height: 5'1"

Okay,

So I've mulled this over for a while, after noticing I've slid way off the primal path, and had a good talk with myself about what's going on. I've been on a tear reading about goal setting and such and had come across this phrase which stopped me in my tracks:

"If there were one thing in your life that you wanted closure on, what would it be and what would be the first action you'd need to take to get that closure?" "What would be the next action, etc.?"

I was struck by the word "closure". And by how many thoughts I have in a day that are 'feel bad' thoughts about my body. Thought: "YES. I want closure on this, dangitt!" I'm tired of it being the ruling thought in my head--I don't want to counsel or advise it away, I want the fat to go away. And then to maintain that state.

I don't know why the framing of a concept differently seems to help me, but it does. So I'm turning this into the Priority Project for the next 6 weeks. Using my GTD hack [my latest book on productivity that I read], I'm setting it up like a project I'd do in the lab. First action item, next action item, etc. Meaning I have to keep this effort at the top of the list hour by hour.

Uh, so I'll be posting a lot, OK?

My first action items are done--an expanded list of what-to-eats, a cooking plan, a grocery list. Notebooks, calendars, mechanical pencils. Probably ol' laid back Mark out there on the beach would snicker. Maybe this is how tech types do it.

I am envisioning Wild Success.

Spanky
Old 08-18-2010, 05:43 PM   #224  

S/C/G: 192/172/150

Height: 5'5"

Go Spanky!

Very interesting food for thought (no pun intended).
Old 08-18-2010, 06:34 PM   #225  
hunt and gatherer

I agree. Go Spanky! I may need to regroup with some of your ideas. I'm doing a little better today than yesterday and that is now a three day pattern, but it isn't good enough to spark more weight loss.

See, the purines in red meat and seafood are major players in uric acid production that leads to gout. Egg yolks are also a key source and I've never been one to suffer with egg whites alone. So these being my three favorite protein sources leaves me adrift at the moment. I am using dairy and pork, but what I may need is a sensible researched step by step anti-gout pro-primal action plan diet regimen to get myself losing pounds again. That's so unlike me though. Pffft. I miss fasting. It's so easy!
Closed Thread