3 Fat Chicks on a Diet Weight Loss Community

3 Fat Chicks on a Diet Weight Loss Community (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/)
-   Calorie Counters (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/calorie-counters-172/)
-   -   List 400 calorie or less breakfast ideas (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/calorie-counters/195691-list-400-calorie-less-breakfast-ideas.html)

fashinjunkie09 03-09-2010 10:04 PM

I found a low calorie eggs Benedict on hungrygirl.com:

1/2 whole wheat extra fiber English muffin- 60
1 slice grilled ham- 70
1 poached egg- 70
2 tbsp "hollindaise"- 70
8 oz oj- 110
= 380 cals

Low cal "hollindaise":
1 tsp lemon yogurt (I found this too sweet so I use plain yogurt w/ lemon juice)
1 tsp light butter
1 tsp dijonnaise (helman's)
1 tbsp light mayo

Mix it all together and I add garlic powder, salt and pepper for flavor. Then microwave for 20 seconds and add a little bit of water if you want a thinner sauce. Delish and a lot fewer cals than real eggs Benedict!

sotypical 03-10-2010 05:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by fashinjunkie09 (Post 3193205)
I found a low calorie eggs Benedict on hungrygirl.com:

1/2 whole wheat extra fiber English muffin- 60
1 slice grilled ham- 70
1 poached egg- 70
2 tbsp "hollindaise"- 70
8 oz oj- 110
= 380 cals

Low cal "hollindaise":
1 tsp lemon yogurt (I found this too sweet so I use plain yogurt w/ lemon juice)
1 tsp light butter
1 tsp dijonnaise (helman's)
1 tbsp light mayo

Mix it all together and I add garlic powder, salt and pepper for flavor. Then microwave for 20 seconds and add a little bit of water if you want a thinner sauce. Delish and a lot fewer cals than real eggs Benedict!

I like hungry girl's ideas. But some of her stuff does not make sense to me. If her "fake" hollandaise sauce is is 70 calories then it has the same amount of calories as 1/4 of a cup of packaged sauce (the one you mix water and stuff with). Granted the real stuff probably has more fat. But sometimes I would just rather have the real thing, especially when the real thing isn't any or much higher in calories.

Now I want eggs benny - maybe that's what I will make for dinner. lol

fashinjunkie09 03-11-2010 04:57 PM

I didn't know there was a packaged hollindaise that had 70 cals for 1/4 cup but I know I have made it myself before from scratch and it was def way more than that seeing as it's pretty much pure butter and egg yolks. Anyway, I like it!

shagginabit 03-13-2010 03:05 PM

My usual breakfast consists of:

3 slices of turkey bacon (45 calories)
1 egg (70) or eggbeaters
1 slice of earthgrains 35 calorie wheat bread (35 calories)
1 tbsp of welch's peach preserves (10 calories)

Then if I'm still hungry (which is less likely), I eat a small apple (45 calories)

Total 160 - 205 calories

pihlaja 03-17-2010 08:35 AM

I prefer smaller breakfasts and I'm usually in a rush and don't have time to actually cook anything.

My favourite "grab and go" breakfast are the Pineapple Upside-Down Muffins from eatingwell.com. Each muffin is only 211 calories with 6g of fat. I like to make a large batch of them on a day off and then freeze them in my freezer. In the morning, I pop one in the microwave for about 30 seconds and voilą! Instant hot breakfast, ready to go!

Pineapple Upside-Down Muffins

Ingredients
Topping
* 2 tablespoons packed light brown sugar
* 2 tablespoons chopped walnuts, or pecans (optional)
* 1 10-ounce can pineapple slices

Muffins

* 3/4 cup whole-wheat flour
* 3/4 cup all-purpose flour
* 2 teaspoons baking powder
* 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
* 1/4 teaspoon salt
* 1 tablespoon ground cinnamon
* 2 large eggs
* 1/2 cup packed light brown sugar
* 1/4 cup canola oil
* 2 tablespoons pineapple juice, or orange juice
* 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
* 1 8-ounce can crushed pineapple, (not drained)
* 1 cup grated carrot, (1 large)
* 1/2 cup old-fashioned oats
* 3/4 cup raisins, preferably baking raisins (see Ingredient note)
* 1/4 cup chopped walnuts, or pecans (optional)

1. Preheat oven to 400°F. Coat 12 muffin cups with cooking spray.

2. To prepare topping: Sprinkle 1/2 teaspoon brown sugar into each muffin cup. Sprinkle nuts, if using, over the sugar. Stack pineapple slices and cut into 6 wedges. Place 2 wedges in each muffin cup.

3. To prepare muffins: Whisk whole-wheat flour, all-purpose flour, baking powder, baking soda, salt and cinnamon in a large bowl.

4. Whisk eggs and brown sugar in a medium bowl until smooth. Whisk in oil, juice and vanilla. Stir in crushed pineapple. Make a well in the dry ingredients; add the wet ingredients and stir with a rubber spatula until just combined. Stir in carrot, oats, raisins and nuts, if using. Scoop the batter into the prepared muffin cups (they'll be quite full).

5. Bake the muffins until the tops are golden brown and firm to the touch, 15 to 25 minutes. Immediately loosen edges and turn muffins out onto a baking sheet. Restore any stray pineapple pieces and nuts. Let cool for at least 10 minutes. Serve upside-down, either warm or at room temperature.

On the weekends, my boyfriend and I will have waffles with maple syrup, butter, and sausage. It sounds really decadent, but in reality it's not (at least not calorie-wise)!

2 Eggo Low-Fat Waffles: 140 calories
1 Tbs. maple syrup: 50 calories
1 Tbs. butter: 90 calories (or, you can do just 1/2 Tbs for just 45 calories)
1 link of chicken sausage: 120 calories

For a grand total of 400 calories even!

ricepapr 03-29-2010 10:45 AM

Hi and welcome to my first post.

My two favorite, calorie-counting breakfasts:

330 cal.
Nature's Own light english muffin
1 egg white
1 serving Egg Beaters
chopped vegetables (tomatoes, spinach, mushrooms, onions, etc.)
banana or Kashi TLC cereal bar
4 oz. orange juice cut with 4 oz. Perrier

385 cal.
Two whole wheat waffles
1/2 cup fat free greek yogurt
1/2 cup strawberries or blueberries
1 tbsp chopped walnuts
1 tbsp honey

Layer everything on top of the waffles and enjoy with an Americano

I pretty much have a handful of ideal breakfasts to choose from and stick with only that to make things easier.

theresac 04-11-2010 07:12 AM

These are all great ideas! Someone mentioned fresh coconut water, which is a delicious way to start the day. We drain coconuts the night before and leave the water in the fridge so that it's icy cold the next day.

Spinach Egg Breakfast Sandwich (285 calories)

1 thick slice of rye bread (optionally, toasted)
15g of feta cheese.
1/2 cup of spinach wilted in 1tsp of olive oil (don't forgot salt + dash of nutmug)
1 poached egg

Smear the feta cheese on top of the rye bread. Top with spinach, then the poached egg. Slice into the egg and let the yolky goodness soak through everything before digging in.

Add chives, tomatoes, zucchini, roasted eggplant, or any other vegetabless for variety!

lisa130 04-12-2010 09:52 AM

that is interesting about coconut water. our dominick's had coconuts on sale for $1 so we picked one up, and it has been sitting here because we don't know what to do with it! do you just drain it and drink it? what about the meat?

theresac 04-13-2010 03:55 PM

Eat the coconut meat! It's delicious! Where I live, coconuts are a snack you can buy on the side of the road. The vendor takes a machete, hacks of the top, and you drink the water straight from the shell. Then he scoops out the meat and serves it in an open coconut shell. So perfect on a hot summer day!

If the meat's hard (depends on age of the coconut), you can also shred it, dry it, then use it for baking. I keep it up to a week in the fridge, but I bet it freezes well too.

AnnieDrews 04-14-2010 12:30 PM

A wonderful breakfast:

One Oroweat Double Fiber English Muffin, split (110 cal.)
3 slices thinly sliced smoked ham (about 30 cal.)
1 slice 2% american cheese slice (50 cal.)

Make it into a sandwich, microwave for about 20 seconds. Yum!

Aiesline 04-21-2010 09:48 AM

My favorite breakfast lately is a egg cheese and turkey bagel sammich. It's ready in less than 5 minutes. Less than 3 if your fast

1 thomas bagel thin - 110
1 kraft fat free cheese single -30
1/4 cup egg beaters- 30
1 slice 98% fat free turkey - 25 (check your package your miles may vary by brand)

stick the bagel in the toaster, stick the egg beaters in the microwave.( I have microwave egg poacher that works really well.) Mine takes 90 seconds. Again your mileage may vary according to your microwave

Microwave turkey for 30 seconds till hot

assemble
eat

if still hungry repeat.

Each sandwich is a total of 195 calories.

abreezies 05-05-2010 09:29 AM

3 TB low fat cream cheese- softened
1 C strawberries- sliced
1 Whole wheat pita bread

Cut pita in half and gently open the pockets. Combine cream cheese with 1/4 cup of the strawberries (mash the berries as you mix it). Spread half of the mix inside each half of pita. Fill with remaining strawberries. Heat skillet to warm. Spray outsides of pitas with nonstick cooking spray. Grill both side of pitas until golden.

1 serving (half of the pita)

145 cals........5 fat......12.6 cholest......219 sodium.....21 carbs....5.5 protein

****This recipe is from Chef Meg of sparksppl.*****

others enjoyed it with different berries, bananas or pineapple mixed in as well. Use your imagination and enjoy!!!

lisa130 05-07-2010 10:54 AM

I thought I would post my favorite breakfast smoothie that I have been making the past week. So yummy, and pretty good for you! And it keeps you full!

0.5C frozen blueberries
0.5C sliced fresh strawberries
0.5C vanilla soy milk (if you have light, cal count will be less) 50cal
0.25C Fage 0% Greek yogurt
2TBSP wheat germ (i use bob red mill's) 60cal
1TBSP Skippy Natural crunchy peanut butter
1tsp Splenda

Add all ingredients to blender and puree until smoothie-like consistency. (When I eat this for breakfast, I don't eat fruit the rest of the day due to sugar content, but great way to get it in!)

TOTALS: 335 cal, 12.0g fat, 46.6 g carbs (mostly healthy carbs!), 17.2g protein.

If you have protein powder to add I'm sure that would be great as well.

b2babe123 05-18-2010 11:31 PM

Breakfast

low sodium turkey bacon egg on toast

m3rma1d 05-23-2010 01:37 PM

My favorite brekkie that I eat every single day (and I'm still not sick of it) is:

-1c Fiber One Honey Clusters
-1c skim milk
-1 hard boiled egg

338 calories total.