The Biggest Loser - Winning by Losing For discussion of the NBC tv show The Biggest Loser and the book Winning by Losing, by Jillian Michaels

Old 10-27-2005, 06:28 AM   #31  

Forgive me if this is addressed int he book, mine is on its way to me. If you can't build muscle while on a calories restricted diet, what is the point of lifitng weights while on a diet? Wouldnt it make more sense to do strictly cardio and diet, lose the weight, THEN lift weights to gain muscle as desired?
Old 10-27-2005, 06:28 AM   #32  
fat fighter

Height: 173cm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jillian Michaels
Sunny - whose that little Michelle kid... SOOO cute. Don't be posting pictures like that, you'll make my clock start ticking!
LOL Jillian!

you deserve a big pat on the back for all those answers - great job! I have to say it is wonderful being able to have access to you and get answers to all our questions.

i take back all those things i said about you after my quads felt like they had been ripped out, cut in half and then put back in my thighs (i have a silly sense of humour, i know)

good job
Old 10-27-2005, 06:34 AM   #33  
fat fighter

Quote:
Originally Posted by bchgrl34
Forgive me if this is addressed int he book, mine is on its way to me. If you can't build muscle while on a calories restricted diet, what is the point of lifitng weights while on a diet? Wouldnt it make more sense to do strictly cardio and diet, lose the weight, THEN lift weights to gain muscle as desired?
IMO. if you just exercise like a banshee and lose a large amount of weight, you will end up skinny-fat with an untoned muscles. keep the weights going during weight loss and your muscles will come to life, you will look thinner than you weigh (muscle weighs more than fat) and your muscles will become your own personal 24hour boosted metabolism which will make the weight loss easier and much easier to maintain as the fires are stoked.

i think what jillian is saying is that you will not be able to build excessive muscle mass but will be able to tone and build the basics.

JMHO
Old 10-27-2005, 08:54 AM   #34  

S/C/G: 257/250/150

Height: 5' 3"

Jillian,

Thanks for sharing your story but I have some questions about body fat. This is what I understand about healthy body fat in females. I have been told that a healthy body fat percentage is between 19-24% and currently I am aiming for about 20% body fat. Between about 15-18% is considered an athletic body type like you might see in gymnasts and marathon runners and typically anything below that starts to be a problem. I think most women start to have menstrual irregularities around 12%. Is that correct?
Old 10-27-2005, 10:21 AM   #35  
Ilene the Bean

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jillian Michaels
Sorry for saying bulk... didn't see your post till after
Thank you!! ... Great explanation on bulking up vs lean muscle...
Old 10-27-2005, 10:53 AM   #36  
Headbanger

S/C/G: 225/218/180

Height: 5'9"

Hi All-
I weighed in again on Tuesday and still zero weight loss. I am following the program almost exactly, except for a few exercise modifications because my gym doesn't have a cable machine. I also added 30 minutes of cardio in addition to the circuit training.

Jillian-
You mentioned in the book only briefly the use of a caffeine/aspirin stack for increased metabolism is this something you would recommend for me.

Also, to answer your questions in the other thread. I was doing strength training and cardio and watching the diet. I was working out 6 days a week with my only rest day being Friday when I went from 225 to 185.

I had my t-3 levels checked in June 2005 about midway through my plateau. All levels were within normal range.

I did the quiz in the book and I am a balanced oxidizer, but I plan on doing the Niacin test on Sunday to be sure.

If I have my exercise rountine on track I have to believe my problem lies with my diet. I have included a link to my Fitday Journal for everyone to check-out and see if they have any suggestions.

Fitday Journal

Thanks

Last edited by RockerGirl; 10-27-2005 at 12:30 PM.
Old 10-27-2005, 11:22 AM   #37  
Puggy Balboa

Bchgirl, I think Daisy gave a great answer because you can build lean muscle, but not bulk. Lean muscle burns more calories than not having it. So, in the end, a person without it has to work harder just to maintain. You could essentially lose more by doing both.

J, no problemo. You know you're my girl!
Old 10-27-2005, 03:12 PM   #38  
soon to be goddess

S/C/G: 236/216/17?

Height: 5'7"

JILLIAN.....THANK YOU!!! I really really appreciate your reading our posts and writing back. Whenever you get the chance, post those sample menu's but please know you've already done alot already!! I know you have alot going on right now and this means the world to us. I don't see Dr. Phil taking the time to talk to us....DO YOU? YOU ROCK!!!
Old 10-27-2005, 05:18 PM   #39  
Shairing her ESH...

S/C/G: 350/321/TBD

Height: 5'6"

Jillian:

I have to say--you absolutely, positively freakin' ROCK!!!! How awesome for someone as busy and as famous as you to come here and read our questions and actually ANSWER THEM!!

I'll be honest--you scare me. Actually, I think your book scares me. I haven't read it all the way yet, but I have been reading all the posts here and all the answers, and I guess I am just SCARED of those intense workouts!

I am a 300 pound woman who has not been very active in recent years, and I am scared that they would be so intense I couldn't do them, and then I would once again feel like a failure.

HOW do I get over this mental block I have about these workouts??

Thanks in advance for your answer!

Mad love at ya girlfriend,
Jen
Old 10-27-2005, 06:06 PM   #40  

Jen - like Jillian told me, every day is a new day. You can't beat yourself up for the set backs, you have to learn from them and try again tomorrow. You may not be able to get through all of it, but thats okay because tomorrow and the day after and the week after, it gets easier. I'm no Jillian, but I've been in your shoes and I'm still a work in progress!
Old 10-27-2005, 06:12 PM   #41  
soon to be goddess

ssshhhhh....she scares me too!! Kinda glad this is anonymous (sp?) so she can't show up on my doorstep and say.... move it move it!!!
Actually, what am I saying? that would be very cool!!!
Old 10-27-2005, 07:31 PM   #42  
My Motivator = Jillian!

Wow ... thanks Jillian! The little kid is my niece, sorry to make your clock tick sista ... she makes my clock tick too. So I have to say, thank you thank you thank you for not taking away my diet soda! Every other time I've been "on the road to losing weight" I was told no soda whatsoever and it is something I just really struggle with! So you made my whole day there!
Another thing ... I have 100% NO support in losing weight from anyone around me in my daily life... in fact, people are doing EVERYTHING in their power to keep me from succeeding - yeah you're probably thinking I hang out w/ really rotten mean people but it's just so hard to do this with no one to talk to about it (besides this amazing group of gals) and no one to keep me going ... but you taking time out of your busy schedule helps so much because even if I don't have the same questions as these gals, all your answers help keep me on the right track ... so really I just wanted to thank you BIG TIME for being the wonderful person you are!

Much love to ya sista!
Old 10-27-2005, 08:32 PM   #43  
fat fighter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jen415
Jillian:
HOW do I get over this mental block I have about these workouts??
Hi Jen - Im with you here I am not 300lb, but was a little overwhelmed with my first workout. I was so down on myself that I couldn't make it through the workout all the way (I did 4 out of the 5 circuits). However, after posting in the check in thread some great suggestions came from the girls.

IMO - do what you are physically capable of. If you go too hard you will probably (if you are anything like me) get completely disheartened and just throw it all in the air. Take it slow, gradually build up - remember anything is better than nothing. positive affirmations are also a great way to get past your mentality. good luck
Old 10-27-2005, 10:05 PM   #44  

You guys have got to read winning by losing Jillian does indeed rock
Old 10-27-2005, 10:30 PM   #45  
soon to be goddess

okay.....I know we are all thinking this.....

huh?

LOL