The Biggest Loser - Winning by Losing For discussion of the NBC tv show The Biggest Loser and the book Winning by Losing, by Jillian Michaels

Old 02-29-2012, 09:06 AM   #301  

I still don't like many of them. Emily kicked butt. Cassandra will put the weight back on when she goes home, IMO. Still can't stand Mark. I see where Conda gets her big mouth (her mother). Good to see Santa again. I really like him.

It could still be Conda leaving for good. The show is taped in advance. The show wasn't an inspiration to me. I just don't like this group of whiners.
Old 02-29-2012, 09:24 AM   #302  
SanityNow

The show is...like I can't look away. Such drama when Chism was being sent home...you would think he was going off to the gallows. Ugh. And the bits that I saw when they were home...do they learn anything about nutrition...I really didn't hear (and again, I channel-switch) any comments about how unhealthful a lot of their home foods were...just about losing weight. Like when one of them said his friends could eat all of that #$## bar food because they had worked on their bodies...if they really worked on their bodies, they wouldn't be eating all of that fried junk. And the commercial about that 'healthy peanut butter cereal'. Again, I can't stand most of it but can't not watch.

The one impressive thing about the show is how Dovett seems to be genuinely concerned about all of the contestants...it's really nice.

Old 02-29-2012, 09:35 AM   #303  

S/C/G: 200/TICKER/160

Height: 5'7

I was impressed with the show last night, it did make me cry - finally! And I can understand Marks emotion for his son, the weigh ins have got to be an exhausting emotional roller coaster & while people see loved ones go home all the time, I don't think he was far off base for his reaction. I can't fault him for trying to sacrifice himself for his son. And Chism earned a great deal of respect from me last night.

I think the sweetest moment for me though was when Chris got home, walked in the door & locked eyes with Roy. You could literally see the love they have for one another pouring out of them. I can only hope to still look at my husband the same way when we're in our golden years.
Old 02-29-2012, 09:47 AM   #304  
Katrina

S/C/G: 162/see ticker/130

Height: 5'6

Yeah, last night was the first episode I cried during this season. Poor Chism. I can completely understand why his father would ask to leave instead. Mark is at a much better weight that Chism and a parent always wants to sacrifice for their child. I didn't catch the whole episode, just the weigh in, so I don't know of any drama that went on last night.
Old 02-29-2012, 11:20 AM   #305  
Ilene the Bean

My take on the two, supposedly, walking out, is that it was Chism and Mark but only Chism left because it was his time to leave...

It was a pretty tame episode last night to say the least...

Also the way they were editing made it look like no one at home did well, where in fact, they all did exceptionaly well...
Old 02-29-2012, 11:26 AM   #306  
ddc
getting back to 140

S/C/G: 155/154.2/140

Height: 5'7"

I was really concerned for Chris when she was lying on the floor shaking and Bob was just standing over her almost laughing.
I was wanting to scream at the tv "help her, she's having a seizure!" I guess she was ok though. They showed her right back on the rowing machine.
Old 02-29-2012, 11:35 AM   #307  

Height: 5'5

Quote:
Originally Posted by safyre View Post
I was impressed with the show last night, it did make me cry - finally! And I can understand Marks emotion for his son, the weigh ins have got to be an exhausting emotional roller coaster & while people see loved ones go home all the time, I don't think he was far off base for his reaction. I can't fault him for trying to sacrifice himself for his son. And Chism earned a great deal of respect from me last night.

I think the sweetest moment for me though was when Chris got home, walked in the door & locked eyes with Roy. You could literally see the love they have for one another pouring out of them. I can only hope to still look at my husband the same way when we're in our golden years.
she's 42. I don't know if that qualifies as "golden"

I agree with you about Mark. He's almost a normal weight and he's watching his still dangerously obese son go home where he already hasn't done well. I wish they would have let him take his place.
Old 02-29-2012, 11:57 AM   #308  

S/C/G: 200/TICKER/160

Height: 5'7

Haha, I forgot about that - that hair throws me off!
How about 'golden' in MARRIAGE years?
Old 02-29-2012, 12:23 PM   #309  
Ilene the Bean

Chris and Santa, I think they have quite an age gap between the two...I kinda hope that she wins so that she can fix their house, I found that really sad...
Old 02-29-2012, 01:18 PM   #310  

Height: I'm really short!

Bob is used to seeing them fall down after a hard workout, but Chris was hyperventilating! ...

Kim (horse girl's mother) said she "is no longer a type 2 diabetic" I didn't know diabetes2 can be cured, then I looked it up and they could lose weight and go into "remission where they no longer need medication" so I was like wow
Old 02-29-2012, 03:47 PM   #311  
focused and aiming

I think Mark's reaction was because he had to witness it and is genuinely concerned for his son's health. I can see a parent being demanding trying to help a child, but I am glad BL stood their ground with him. I think there was a lot edited out of that segment. The video seemed to jump a little to where Chism made his stand about leaving. Just saying......

I did like the inspiration I got last night. I even told my dh that I thought they might have re-edited that episode to leave out negativity after all the comments they've been receiving.
Old 02-29-2012, 05:47 PM   #312  
Boston Qualifier and MOM

Height: 5'3.75"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jennifer 3FC View Post
I'll be happy to see this season be over! I really liked Cassandra until they threw the weigh in. .
I actually liked Cassandra MORE after that. Because I think she was genuinely ashamed of having gone along with it.

I like Cassandra, starting to like Emily a bit, like Buddy.

The going home thing was interesting. Holy crap - Cassandra's house was TINY and that is I think where she grew up with her nine siblings.

And then you compare that to Kim. I will say for sure "single mom of 3" I was not expecting a freaking mansion. They were very careful not to show a direct outside shot of her house, but it was clearly enormous.

I think Mark and Chism honestly thought that if they just kept moving and were healthy they would have the 5% easy - they both fell short because they didnt do the intensity. Ultimate frisbee is great for their return to real life. Not so much when in TBL competition. I've played it. Fair bit of recovery time mixed in with brief sprints.

I would have died during the rowing competition, not from the rowing, I like rowing, but seriously I was struggling to breathe just WATCHING the people crowding around them like that. I would have been "Back the heck up and give me some AIR". I thought Kim had a big advantage having a much bigger room.

Last edited by ennay; 02-29-2012 at 05:48 PM.
Old 02-29-2012, 08:20 PM   #313  

S/C/G: 198/155/140

Height: 5'9"

after seeing Santa's house I really hope him or Chris win or atleast win the at home prize, would make this season end nicely to atleast see a prize go to someone who really needs it.
Old 02-29-2012, 08:25 PM   #314  
50 and Fabulous :)

S/C/G: 250/229/160

Height: 5'4"

Ok we have to give it up for Emily! That bakery is called Amelie's and is about 20 mins from my house. No way I would walk in there at this point LOL... oh and those salted brownies are TO DIE FOR! So good for you Emily!

It was nice to feel the show was returning to something resembling it's 'roots'. I hope Chism learned a valuable lesson about how to handle the home situation and does well in the end. He's a baby; and kids just deserve a chance. Hopefully the show will redeem itself in the coming weeks.

Is kind of odd that someone is just now hitting 100 lbs. I know John, from last season, lost the fastest 100 lbs but still... Well, we'll see! The finale isn't that far away!
Old 02-29-2012, 10:27 PM   #315  
Boston Qualifier and MOM

Height: 5'3.75"

Part of it is for whatever reason there were not the monster losses in week 1 there normally are.

Plus there was a lot of speculation that John had gained weight intentionally to get on the show and was fitter than he let on.