The Biggest Loser - Winning by Losing For discussion of the NBC tv show The Biggest Loser and the book Winning by Losing, by Jillian Michaels

Old 11-07-2007, 07:36 AM   #46  
Chick

S/C/G: 257.5/239.75/155

Height: 5'7 1/2"

Gina- Glad to hear your sister is on the upswing. Did she have a stroke? I can't remember if you said.

That is way cool about the girl at the gym. Maybe there'll be a good opportunity to talk at some point.

Go Sirak. You look amazing.
Old 11-08-2007, 12:06 AM   #47  
Dieting Diva

Thanks Ledom-There are days I feel amazing.

Today was a good day. I did a walk/jog with Bob of about a mile and 25 minutes of ball work while DD3 was in the tub. Calories were low as I have been busy.
I hope it can stay down tommorrow too !
Old 11-08-2007, 09:49 PM   #48  
Dieting Diva

Food was ok today. I baked breakfast cookies, LF pumpkin muffins and blue berry oatmeal muffins.
I am out of applesauce lol.
It's hard because you end up eating one of each of those.
On the other hand I have had 45 minute workout which included the normal run and ubwo plus some squats.
I think I might have to turned around.
I am going to see a friend tomorrow (hence the marathon of baking). I am taking leftover grilled chicken for our lunch, hopefully I can pick up a bag of lettuce on the way.
She has fibromyalga and needs help unpacking after a move. I don't plan to workout after that.
Hope everyone has a great Friday !
Old 11-08-2007, 11:00 PM   #49  
Chick

That sounds great Sirak. I did some quality cooking today too. I broke out the BFL cookbook at 1 this morning when I woke up and couldn't sleep. I accomplished a lot. I made turkey meatballs, turkey meat loaf, and an old favorite strawberry cheesecake. It made the day of food go so much better. Didn't exercise, but I am working toward that. I know that when time stops being such an issue that will get better. Not that I intend to wait until this ungodly semester is over to get going but, the good news is that this semester will be over eventually. Only a little over a month.

Had a nasty moment of truth trying on clothes yesterday. It shocked me into getting on the scale this morning (I know it's bad when I start avoiding the scale for long periods of time.) The news wasn't good, but the good news is I feel a little bit of the old fighting spirit awakening.

Don't work too hard tomorrow Sirak.

I am camping Sat. night and kayaking over the weekend. It'll be a quick trip but I am excited none the less. It has been way too long.

Last edited by ledom; 11-08-2007 at 11:01 PM.
Old 11-13-2007, 08:36 AM   #50  
Chick

Just checking in. I have to workout in a second. Yeah, you heard me right. Workout. I did it yesterday too. I still have healthy food cooked up and that is making things easier. The last couple nights I did a relaxation yoga tape. That has been good. The lack of exercise, I believe, had started to affect my personality. I finally had to realize I have to put something back in - not good for my health, nor my human relationships! I need the endorphins and the release of whatever it is I keep pent up inside.

Last edited by ledom; 11-13-2007 at 08:39 AM.
Old 11-13-2007, 05:31 PM   #51  
2 wheels is plenty :D

S/C/G: 264/195/150

Height: 5'4"

Hey -

ledom!!

sirak - I got the baking bug, too! A mild case next to you two...Pumpkin pie, with splenda and egg beaters. Good stuff!! If I would have known DH wasn't going to eat it I would have skipped the crust, too.

I've had a good week for workouts - ya know when you just feel so good coming out of your workout? I've been in binge or bust mode eating wise though...I need to figure out how to control that.

Did anyone listen to Jillian's show from 11.11? She had a couple callers that really hit home for me. One who just has a little ways to go and Jillian's advice was to keep the calories around 1500 but make them super clean. Then add more intensity to the workouts. I've got the workout peice already. It's the danged food. I swear I get sick of hearing myself say it...but there ya go.

The news on my sister is that she had brain surgery a ways back, it took away function of her left side much like a stroke would. She is in rehab getting 3 hours of therapy a day...but it's a slow chug. She's a trooper - but it's so frustrating.
Old 11-19-2007, 07:39 AM   #52  
Chick

Hey Guys - Holiday week. How are ya'll holding up?

Same old same old here. The weekend wasn't that terrific. I slept most of Saturday, it was just one of those days when you finally give in to it. Yesterday was spent getting my lecture ready for Tuesday night. Two more after this one and I can put this soul draining chore aside. Thank goodness because it has about done me in. (I think I mentioned these weekly massive power point slide shows I took on this semester.) I am just really looking forward to Christmas break and some relief from work stress.

Thanksgiving is at my house and I won't get to start cleaning or cooking until Wed. But thankfully I do have that day off. It won't be much of a break for me this year in terms of relaxation or fun, but I guess I will at least be thankful for the 3 days off so I have time to get the work done. I don't know. No matter how I try to simplify, believe my I do, it's still a lot of work.

Anyway, the only positive thing I have to say on the diet front is that I am refusing all Christmas goodies. Yes, they are already coming my way, no candy or nuts or cheese balls or any of the other high calorie treats that start appearing this time of year. I just can't afford to go down that path this year. I am having enough trouble with regular food.

I did work out 4 days last week and that was good. I am weak folks, the stamina for an hour long, pedal to the metal workout seems impossible. But I was able to do 45 minutes steady work and you know, I'll just have to build on that. The yoga tape has helped improve my mental attitude though. Just 30 minutes of stilling my brain has the effect of making me a little less high strung so I am trying to do it daily.

One of these days I am going to get on here and actually be my old self again. I am so looking forward to a real break.

Last edited by ledom; 11-19-2007 at 07:44 AM.
Old 11-20-2007, 12:55 PM   #53  
Lovin' Zumba!

Hi gals - I've been having computer problems at home, and I'm swamped at work, so I've been AWOL lately. I'm feeling a bit overwhelmed by my "to do" list both personally and professionally, and it shows in my eating. I've been forcing myself to wear my too tight rings as a reminder to try to keep my eating under control. I just can't get used to wearing two rings on one finger, and tight on top of that is really annoying! (My hands get puffy when I gain weight!)

Hoping to have a moderate Thanksgiving - I'm not cooking, but that means I'll not have leftovers, which is a good thing!

Hey Ledom - maybe I should try some yoga as well.... When Pete sits down to watch sports, I should head upstairs and try some to help me relax as well. I've not been sleeping well lately - the stress, lack of exercise, extra weight - it's all contributing I think.

Well, need to get back to work - you gals have a great holiday if I don't talk to you before then.
Cindy
Old 11-23-2007, 12:29 PM   #54  
2 wheels is plenty :D

S/C/G: 264/195/150

Height: 5'4"

Hope everyone had a Happy Turkey Day!! It was pretty quiet over here...went for a bike ride with DH yesterday. It was going along swimmingly until my pedal started falling off.. Gotta go to the bike shop and get it fixed today. The weather is clear and chilly - perfect riding weather!

Don't ask me how my eating is going....there was a run in with a pie yesterday that I would rather forget. Let's just say today is a new day.

Aiming for a quiet weekend, some kicking back, some house cleaning and some working out. NO SHOPPING!!!! I HATE crowded malls. I'm in denial about Xmas...I'll panic in a couple weeks.
Old 11-25-2007, 09:46 AM   #55  
Chick

Morning everyone - good to hear from you Cindy and Gina.

This thanksgiving has been nice. I worked my butt off Wed. and Thurs. and have been napping and relaxing ever since. I needed it. It has done amazing things for my frame of mind to get some down time. I hope you all have had a chance at that too.

Cindy - I know what you mean about forcing yourself to wear your rings to remind you. I have been on a clothes shopping moratorium - it doesn't help matters that all last year when I was going clothes shopping mad I often bought things to shrink into. I have a ton of clothes with not much fitting these days. Argghhhh - I have had to buy a very few things to get by, but only cheap, on sale stuff. Hope springs eternal that I'll get it together.

And actually that is why I wanted to post. I have noticed that lately I am not going out and doing the things I normally would because I am starting to feel self conscious about how I look. That may be the wake up call, because I like being around people and being able to forget my physical appearance and just enjoy the moment. I was feeling that before and I want it back. That center, I am who I am with no apologies that I was feeling.

So, I know what I have to do and I think I might be ready.

I have just spent some time packing up all the clothes that don't fit. For one thing I want to make it easier to find the clothes that I am wearing now, but also, it will be so much fun to unpack those boxes this spring when I can actually wear all those beautiful things.
Old 11-25-2007, 08:52 PM   #56  
Chick

Let me tell you this recipe. It is the best thing you could possibly imagine to eat on a cold day. 4 Fuji Apples, 1 Bosc Pear, peeled, cored, quartered. Simmer about 30 min. or until soft in 1/2 cup water with lid on. Mash with a potato masher and sprinkle in cinnamon. It is a good side dish, good mixed with cottage cheese, good on oatmeal, oh man, it is my new favorite thing.
Old 11-26-2007, 07:50 AM   #57  
Chick

Me again....It's wonderful what a long weekend of rest and naps did for me. I feel revitalized. Rest...I believe it's true that you can't lose weight without that element playing an important role. I feel as though I can go on. I feel as though I can EXERCISE. Early in the semester I racked up a pretty big deficit on rest and I hope I never get in quite that shape again. Power Point presentation for Tues. is under control and there is only one more after this one! I know how my students must feel.

So I just had my breakfast. A scoop of my homemade applesauce, a scoop of oatmeal and a scoop of low fat cottage cheese. It tasted rich and warm and wonderful.

Sirak - hope you can check in soon. Hope your holidays went well and that you weathered the change in tradition. Cindy, yes, try some yoga. It has helped me with my mental take on things as much as anything. Speaking of yoga, yesterday I pulled out my "hard" yoga tape (actually just harder that the stress relief tape). This morning I feel like I did a full body weight strength training day. I ordered a new DVD by this same instructor Ana Forrest. I am going to try to do more yoga on a permanent basis. I turned to it about a month ago to still my mind more than anything - it helped! Gina, did you get your bike pedal fixed?

Well, it's count down time for Christmas. I think it might be fun this year. DDs boyfriends family may be with us this year. Speaking of DDs boyfriend. I really like him so much, just a really sweet boy. Now that they live closer I have had a chance to get to know him better. I have really enjoyed cooking for them. Last night I was just thinking how much I enjoy cooking and how it is integral to who I am. Resolving that with trying to lose weight doesn't have to be so hard if I cook the right things. I am once again trying to revamp attitudes toward food and exercise to make it work for me and who I am and what I enjoy.

I did notice one thing last night. Here lately my decision to not go down the holiday goodies path has been easy. I went to a friends for dinner. I had a lovely plate of food, roast beef and vegetables that was just soul satisfying. There were these jelly roll type pumpkin and cream desserts. You know I just took a long look at those and while they looked good in one way, in another I could just tell that the nourishing satisfied feeling I had from my meal would take a different turn and feel if I started on the sweets. It really was easy to turn away last night. Just want to hang on to that awareness as the season progresses. If I am going to splurge I want it to be quality, homemade, special food. Nothing from a deli or a grocery store or a drive through.
Old 11-28-2007, 11:52 AM   #58  
Dieting Diva

I just ate some apple sauce and cottage cheese in your honor Ledom. I have had several days of sane eating and working out. My inlaws are here for the week(Yes- inlaws... the ones that belong to sheep dip brained spouse who has been living with his GF for 6 months). It is easier to be a bit more structured with them here for some reason. We have been out twice to eat and one time I ate about 1/3 of the food.The other time I had a huge salad plate.
I am still doing a bit of weights during bath time. I can lift on my exercise ball while DD3 is in the tub. She likes my big tub so it works out well.
DD21 is moving out in two weeks so things will change again. My explorer is having transmission issues so I am not sure how things will evolve next.
Old 11-28-2007, 08:35 PM   #59  
Lovin' Zumba!

Hey gals - I'm here making baby steps. Today is my 3rd day of decent eating, so I'm pretty happy about that - as minor as it seems, it's an accomplishment for me at this point. At least my rings are feeling a little more comfortable!

I've come to realize that my new job does not allow me the luxury of having oatmeal with an apple for breakfast anymore - 9 days out of 10 I end up not eating anything before lunch, which is just a recipe for disaster. I'm just too busy and/or get interrupted for me to work that breakfast into my day.

So, I'm looking for some suggestions from you gals - some sort of breakfast bar or muffin that I could make on the weekends - this would work into my mornings better - something that I can just grab and take to a meeting with me, or eat during a conference call... I did Zone bars and OJ for breakfast for years, but I'm trying to avoid all that sugar. Although, maybe they would be a good start...

Sorry for rambling - I'm just so out of practice with this stuff lately that I'm struggling with working out some of the details for myself.

I'll have to try that apple sauce/cc combo - when I get myself back on the cc track, that is. Maybe that would be good for my afternoon snack - I seem to have more time in the afternoons to fit in a snack.

Ledom - interesting what you said about avoiding being out in public - I've been feeling the same way lately. I just bought a new truck, and it's a bit flashy - it's an orange Land Rover (LR2, their baby SUV). I love it, but I feel like it's too flashy for the current me - I feel like an out-of-shape middle aged woman in my MLC vehicle! And I know that 30# or so lighter I would feel much better about owning it - definitely less self-conscious than I do now.
Cindy
Old 11-29-2007, 09:18 AM   #60  
Chick

Hey Sirak and Cindy so good to hear from you.

Hey Cindy, I think I want to join you for your onderland for the New Year Challenge.

Sirak, I am sure your children's grandparents were where they needed to be for Thanksgiving and I hope they are giving you help and support now. Glad they help stabilize the diet, this is something for sure. And good job on finding a time to get on that ball.

Congrats on the spiffy new ride Cindy. Maybe we need a picture? I am betting you look sharp in that car, but how we feel about ourselves makes such a difference. Like you say, after only 3 days of eating right you are feeling better. After 2 weeks imagine how you are going to be feeling!

I have had a good week too. And yes I am feeling better. I have a new skirt that is only slightly tight, it is hanging on the closet door and I have been trying it on everyday. I am already seeing a difference so we just need to find that one thing that we can hold onto to keep us going until we are feeling gung-ho strong.

Cindy, here are 2 muffin recipes from the good old BFL days.

Keith Klein's Chocolate Muffins

12 egg whites
1 1/4 uncooked quick cooking oats
9 T. low sugar red rspberry jam
dash of vanilla extract
1 1/2 T. cocoa powder
4 T. Nestle no sugar added chocolate milk mix powder
splenda to taste

Preaheat oven to 350. Blend ingredients in a blender and pour into muffin tins that ve been sprayed with Pam. Bake for 20 minutes.

Banana Nut Muffins

1 cup dry old-fashioned oatmeal, (you can grind this in blender to make flour but I just leave them whole because I like the texture and leaving out that step saves a little time too.)
4 scoops vanilla protein powder
2 tsp. baking powder
1/4 tsp. baking soda
1 T cinnamon
dash nutmeg
-
2 med ripe bananas
1 egg
4 egg whites
1/2 cup natural applesauce
1 tsp vanilla
1/3 cup splenda
1/4 c chopped walnuts

Mix dry ingredients and wet sperately. Add wet to dry ingredients, mix, spoon into muffin tin sprayed with Pam.

Bake 350 for 20 min...or less, Serving is 2 muffins. If you can have PB in the house (I can't) a swipe of that on top is definitely yummy.

Last edited by ledom; 11-29-2007 at 09:21 AM.