The Biggest Loser - Winning by Losing For discussion of the NBC tv show The Biggest Loser and the book Winning by Losing, by Jillian Michaels

Old 05-02-2008, 08:13 AM   #181  
Lovin' Zumba!

Woo-hoo - my ticker moved!
Cindy
Old 05-02-2008, 04:26 PM   #182  
Chick

S/C/G: 257.5/239.75/155

Height: 5'7 1/2"

Go Cindy - you're doing great!

I got to move mine too. One lb. for me this week. I can tell I am retaining water and it is weird. I am post menopause, I have been drinking a lot of water and haven't eaten anything extremely salty. It has been going on all week. I am happy though. I didn't get any workouts in this week at all. I am off after next week so plan to really apply myself to exercise once I get through finals. So, one lb. in two weeks. I am okay with that. It has taken me a long time to get to this point, but as long as I am going down I am okay with it. I am eating and perhaps could trim some calories here and there but I have totally embraced the super food concept. There is not one thing I eat that isn't a super food. I feel better and look better. My mom asked me today if I had lost some weight, bless her heart. I think for the most part it is only me that can tell. I am alright with that too. It feels different this time.

Last edited by ledom; 05-02-2008 at 04:28 PM.
Old 05-09-2008, 11:45 AM   #183  
Lovin' Zumba!

Hi guys - hope everyone is doing well. I've had a high-salt week myself - I know I've done better than the scale is saying, and I can barely get my rings on, so I know it's water. I'm only counting 1# for the week, but like you Ledom, down is down, so that's a good thing. In fact, anything that's not up is a good thing as far as I'm concerned!

I'm working from home today, so am playing a bit of hooky right now. I'm backing up the hard drive on my work computer - it's taking forever, and I can't really work while doing it. Poor planning on my part, but oh well....

So glad the weather is finally nice - I have a bunch of gardening to do - coneflowers taking over my garden and smothering out everything else. Time to move them, while they are still small. Not sure where they will go, but they've got to be moved!

Any big plans for the weekend? Not me - just yard work and maybe go up to camp and work on scraping and painting the docks - big fun...

Hope you gals have a good one!
Cindy
Old 05-12-2008, 09:13 AM   #184  
Chick

Morning-

This past week I lost my focus. So, back at it. It wasn't a horrible week, just bad enough. Sat. I ate all the wrong things and I felt terrible. Whole foods make the machine work better.

I am enjoying the Y. School is out and time to hit it on a regular basis. Except, today is tree removal day. I am having the pine tree (huge) that was struck by lightening cut and maybe some more. I am having a hard time deciding what to let go, but am planning new landscaping for my front yard and have some tough decisions to make. I am trying to move some of the many plants from my mother's property to my own.

Gina, how is your elbow doing? Any miracle cures you have to pass on? I could use one. My knee hurts each and every day. I am reconciling myself to living with pain. How sad. But, only the more reason to get the weight off.

Last edited by ledom; 05-13-2008 at 08:35 AM.
Old 06-07-2008, 10:00 AM   #185  
Lovin' Zumba!

Hey gals - looks like we lost some posts in yesterday's server problems. I thought I'd post something so it wouldn't look like we hadn't posted in nearly a month!

It's the weekend, thank goodness. I'm up at camp, enjoying my view of the lake while I have my morning coffee. I brought work home, so not sure how much of the weekend I'll get to enjoy, but I'll do what I can.

You gals have a great one!
Cindy
Old 06-18-2008, 05:43 PM   #186  
Chick

Hi Cindy, Gina, anyone out there?

Just thought I'd check in and say hi. Hope everyone is doing well. I am slowly picking myself up from a pretty demoralizing regain. It is just a vicious cycle it seems, but not one I can seem to give up on. Eventually I will get it right. I lent out my SuperFoods book when I should have hung on to it. But, it has returned to me and I am really trying to make it a part of who I am.

The good news is that my leg continues to get better. I have let hiking back into my life. I've been out the last 3 Sunday mornings. I have to be sure and stretch good in advance and to not overdo it. There was a while last winter when I thought I'd never hike again. This past Sunday I was on an old favorite trail - I missed it! I have also been kayaking some as well. But mostly swimming and doing the eliptical/bike at the Y.

Hope everyone else is doing good.
Old 06-19-2008, 11:34 AM   #187  
Chick

Feeling chatty this week. Just back from the Y. This morning I increased the bike and elliptical by 5 minutes to 15 minutes each, and reduced swimming to 30 min. It feels good to get in there and get it done in the early morning, though at first I was going mid-day. They do a day camp for all the school kids during the summer so the pool isn't so inviting when there are a bunch of screaming splashing kids! It does feel like such a luxury to have a whole lane of an olympic size pool to do my laps in.
Old 06-19-2008, 09:30 PM   #188  
2 wheels is plenty :D

S/C/G: 264/195/150

Height: 5'4"

Hey ledom! Glad to hear your leg is getting better. It's infuriating how long it takes, huh? My elbow is barely back to being able to start working out upper body again.

Ya know what? All you can do is get back up and keep trying, chickie...you will get there, I know you will.

Cindy - how's camp?

So...I have been back on the bicycle for a while, spin class is a go as well...it's just upper body workouts that have been hard to bring back in. And my eating has been outta control lately. Time to change my ticker
Don't wanna, don't wanna... I ought to go get a whole foods book myself. I pretty much know the concept already...practicing what is in my head is a whole nother matter.
Old 06-23-2008, 02:22 AM   #189  
Half Marathoner!!!

S/C/G: A bunch/ticker/140

Height: 5'5''

Default Hello Everyone!

Hi! I'm about 3/4ths of the way done with Jillian's "Winning by Losing" book and it is awesome! I fell in love with The Biggest Loser into the 4th season and I'm anxiously awaiting the newest season. I actually tried out for this upcoming season, but haven't heard anything and figured that I didn't get picked, lol. Oh well, I'll keep trying! Anyway, it's totally awesome that I found this forum and I'm really excited to talk to all you peeps! The diet portion of Jillian's book had me a bit confused because I suck at math and I was trying to figure out how many calories a week i needed to lose weight and I'm not even sure if I did it right. I dunno, I like to get all the details organized and what not before I begin something like this, but I think it's also a way of stalling. ya know the infamous "I'll start tomorrow" deal where tomorrow never seems to come....it gets really frustrating. I was reading some posts from this website earlier and some of them were from miss Jillian herself that was AWESOME! It's actually pretty late here but I'm going to continue to read her book tomorrow and I'll be back on to ask some questions about it and what not. So thanks for reading!
Old 06-23-2008, 03:03 PM   #190  
Half Marathoner!!!

Default My questions

Hello again everyone! I just got done skimming over my 'notes' on the book and I'm going to post some questions and hopefully some of you wonderful people can help me! First off, after taking her quiz I found out I am a fast oxidizer and she did go into some detail on what shouldn't eat and what not but I'm still confused. I mean, what are theBEST foods for that type? And if I'm not supposed to eat bread unless it is that ezekiel bread, then what are good sources of carbs for me?

Then there's that math problem I had....So I figured that my BMR is 1876.2 and my daily AMR is 2877.44 and if I want to lose 2lbs. a week then I need to have a deficit of 7000 calories a week or 1000 a day. So after figuring out my weekly AMR which is 20,142 I got 13,142 as my weekly caloric intake. which divided by 7 is 1877 And, to me that seems a bit high because if you read one of the Biggest Loser books it says to take your current weight and multiply it by 7 which I get 1645. And in the newest biggest loser book it says to take your goal weight and multiply by ten to get your daily caloric intake, which for me is 1400. So my head is REELING right now, lol. And also in her book she says not to have the same daily caloric intake so your system can't get used to it and she gave an example, and if i follow her example my caloric intake would be this: 1600, 1900, 1600, 2000,1600, 1800, 2100. Idk, it just seems really high to me and I even went back and did the math over again and got the same numbers....And then I'm assuming that as I lose weight i will need to recalculate the numbers too. But does anyone else think that I did it wrong? Because a 2100 calorie day just sound waaaaay to high.

But then again, I'm obviously not the fitness expert, lol.
Thanks for reading!
Old 06-23-2008, 10:24 PM   #191  

Hi EveLHaelf!!

Fast oxidizer foods...I lent out my "Winning by Losing" so I am looking at "Making the Cut" which should be pretty close. As for carbs...you aren't going to get many being a "Fast Oxidizer" but she lists black beans & Low Carb tortillas in addition to the Ezekial Bread (which is really good, BTW). One of her breakfasts has oatmeal in it...it looks like an "Embrace the Protein" plan.

Math isn't my strong suit either... I'm not sure how much you are trying to lose, but I don't think 1870 is out of control if you are doing the workouts. Why not try it for a few weeks and see how it goes? Research is good, but you might be taking info from too many sources at once. It's bound to drive you nuts.
Old 06-23-2008, 10:24 PM   #192  

OMG - I forgot to say
Old 06-24-2008, 08:43 PM   #193  
Half Marathoner!!!

Thanks a bunch! And you're totally right, all that research is making me crazy. I just get the paranoia that if I'm going to be putting the effort into it I want to make sure that I'm doing all that I can. Which is probably why I can never seem to stick to exercising and eating healthy for more than two months. x.x
lol but I really appreciate the reply and I think I'm going to just get out of my own way and take your advice!
Old 06-24-2008, 10:45 PM   #194  

Patience...and faith in yourself.

You can do this.
Old 06-25-2008, 06:10 PM   #195  

Eve, your AMR numbers don't seem to be correct. If you tell me your age, height, weight and what you do for a living (do you have a desk job, are you on your feet more than 1/2 a day, are you a personal trainer?), I can help you with the math.

Peace.

Susan