The Biggest Loser - Winning by Losing For discussion of the NBC tv show The Biggest Loser and the book Winning by Losing, by Jillian Michaels

Old 01-02-2008, 07:43 AM   #106  
Chick

S/C/G: 257.5/239.75/155

Height: 5'7 1/2"

Happy New Year!

Let me join the wish, Cindy, that we will all have a stellar year.

I haven't cooked with stainless. But many of my pots and pans are not nonstick. I cook with calphalon cookware. My stove is electric. It will be here by the 7th, hopefully sooner.

Well, I had quite a kayaking adventure. It really brought home to me how I have let myself get out of shape too. When we headed out there was a light wind, we had checked the weather in advance with winds 5 to 10 mph predicted which is fine. Well, that was wrong. We got caught out in gale force winds and found out when we got home that lake wind advisories were out. We got into a very scary situation and there was nothing to do but put every bit of our cunning, experience, and strength into getting back to shore. We were out there wallowing in waves that were white capping. I couldn't even watch my friend as watching her boat tossing in the waves just made me kind of sick. Fortunately we prevailed - by sheer will I believe. It was not the smartest thing we ever did before. I was so much less confident than when I was weight training. I didn't have the energy reserves or the balance that I believe I had 6 months ago. Just another reminder of the importance of being fit - it can save your life!

Sirak - you've been awfully quiet. What's up with you? Hope you can check in soon.

Last edited by ledom; 01-02-2008 at 07:45 AM.
Old 01-04-2008, 09:41 AM   #107  
Chick

Hey guys. What's up? How is your arm doing Gina? Cindy, got that kitchen cleaned out? Sirak? I am back to reading up on Turbulence Training. I am following the nutrition guide for fat loss that they put out. Today I am doing it, I think my house is pretty much junk food free now. I do need to clean out the fridge and make sure that there is just the right stuff in there now because I have a menu of sorts to follow today. It's just all the simple basic stuff. I did workout day 1 again. My mini goal is to get through the first two days .

Last edited by ledom; 01-04-2008 at 09:42 AM.
Old 01-04-2008, 07:50 PM   #108  
Lovin' Zumba!

Kitchen not quite cleaned out - I bribed DH by offering to let him do "Free Day" for the first month, but then he wouldn't let me throw some stuff away... So, I'm just having to be strong - so far it's easy, so things are doing ok. No exercise as of yet, but this is big progress for me!
Cindy
Old 01-05-2008, 08:13 PM   #109  
Chick

Well, I have just eaten my 6th, extremely clean meal for the second day in a row. It is detox. It feels pretty good. Hard, but I am paying a lot of attention to it and it feels like a project. I am excited about it.

Tomorrow is a body weight circuit, different from the first day. I haven't done this one yet so that will be interesting, my body, I am out of touch with it.

The break is flying by. I am trying to tackle the basement this weekend. Last week I unpacked the last of the kitchen boxes. That was a good accomplishment.

I have a funny (kind of) cat story. My precious Pearl snuck out the door on our coldest night, about 18 degrees. I mean snuck, I didn't miss her until she came running in the house when I opened the door next morning. She is so funny. Usually her tail is very sleek but it was bristled out way big when she came prancing in. She is wild at heart, I can just tell. Anyway, she ate a bunch and then curled up in the covers of my bed where she stayed all day long.

Last edited by ledom; 01-05-2008 at 08:17 PM.
Old 01-08-2008, 06:29 AM   #110  
Chick

How's it going you guys? I am getting a sense of routine in my meals and exercise, the beginning of it. I have almost a full week in. It feels good.

Lot's going on here, as usual, health problems abound with loved ones. It takes a lot to deal with it all. I postponed my dreaded Dr. appt. until Feb. 8. I am trying to get myself in shape for that. He can't yell at me though, it has been a hard year.

Break is coming to an end. Oh the things left to do, not to mention rest which is #1 priority. Tomorrow I have another play day planned. I can't really satisfy my traveling urges right now so a friend and I are going to go driving, just a 100 mile radius, but back to a little lake in the mountains I want to explore. No boats, just going to look at it's possibilities. I am still reliving the horror of my last kayak trip. I learned a lot about a situation I will never put myself in again.
Old 01-08-2008, 09:44 AM   #111  
2 wheels is plenty :D

S/C/G: 264/195/150

Height: 5'4"

ledom - YOU!!! Enjoy your play day tomorrow -

Cindy - DH's can be such a PITA sometimes..:P Stay strong!

As for me - the arm is still being annoying. I have an appointment to see a doctor but not til the 23rd. I've stopped biking for the moment. The only good thing about that is that I tried a treadmill and found out I can jog now. Who knew? I lasted like 20 minutes at 5.5 MPH. That's prolly really slow - but the last time I ran was like the 6th Grade.
Old 01-08-2008, 12:09 PM   #112  
Lovin' Zumba!

Hey gals! I'm just focusing on cleaning up my food right now, and that's going pretty well. Not perfect, but better than it's been in weeks. I just need to remember that it is possible to have too much of a good thing - need to work on paring down my quantities.

Ledom - that is funny about Pearl - I hate when they sneak out like that. Good idea to stay off the water right now - that last experience was a close call! Enjoy your exploring.

Gina - sorry to hear your arm is still bothering you, but awesome about the jogging! Who cares that it's a bit slow - at least you're actually running!

Cindy
Old 01-10-2008, 04:11 PM   #113  
Chick

Afternoon all. Just wanted to say that I did my 6 days of workouts. Today is rest day. I have been more on than off my diet. Last night I was in the grocery store kind of late and thought, ****, I have had a hard day. Maybe I'll pick out a treat. You know, that kind of rationalization that is so wrong. Anyway, I went by the ice cream case, the pastry, case, the nuts, the chips, the cookies, I went and looked at it all. Read the labels, knew any one of the things I looked at would be consumed totally, not in serving size portions. I ended up not buying any of that junk. Came home and had yogurt, cottage cheese, berries, and nuts and called it a day.

Last edited by ledom; 01-10-2008 at 04:12 PM.
Old 01-10-2008, 05:19 PM   #114  

LOL ledom - I totally just did the same thing a couple of days ago. Even went so far as to wander to the mall with an idea of getting a yogurt that would put me over my calories for the day. Determination on both our parts won out in the end.

on 6 days of workouts!! And on "more on than off my diet". You Go, girl!
Old 01-11-2008, 01:18 PM   #115  
Lovin' Zumba!

Hey gals! Good for both of you for not giving into tempation! I wish I could be like that (and I have been in the past, just not right now).

Last night I caved to temptation and had 4 Kashi TLC cookies in addition to the bowl of cereal I'd already had. Well, let me tell you, I paid for it dearly - those cookies are very high fiber, and my stomach was not so happy - I was up a good part of the night because of it - just a lot of stomach churning, and as a result, me tossing and turning. No fun.

I may have said this before, but since I can't remember anything anymore, I'll say it again - I think I need to go back on BFL to get myself on track. Granted it was 5 years ago, but it really did work for me. I didn't lose a ton of weight, but I lost enough, and my clothing size went down and down. The only real reason that I stopped it was because I got to a certain point where I was only maintaining, no matter how hard it seemed I tried, and I wanted to lose 15# more.

Well, talk about back-firing - I would be thrilled if I were still maintaining that weight - instead I've gained and gained.

So, Monday will be back in the gym with Bill, for my first BFL UBWO in a while. I'll be super sore, but it will feel good.
Cindy

Last edited by BfL_Cat; 01-13-2008 at 02:20 PM.
Old 01-13-2008, 11:04 AM   #116  
Chick

Great Cindy. It feels good when you can feel your muscles. When you feel the outer limits of your butt instead of it just be a marshmallow without distinctive boundaries. That is the way I am feeling about mine anyway.

I bought the Turbulence Training e-books and am following that nutrition and exercise plan. A variation on all our favorites, BFL, Jill, etc. The thing I love about this so far, and I am doing beginner workouts, I feel it, it is enough, but it isn't too much. The nutrition is a little more structured than I am used to but I like that too. It does involve 6 meals a day. 6 meals a day always makes me happy. We'll see what kind of results I get. Consistency.

So during my entertaining season I was showing some guests my bedroom and bathroom. I have a huge Drs. scale in my bathroom. The slender one piped up and said, throw that thing away. I never get on a scale. So, I am thinking, maybe she has something there. I am not throwing it away but I am not getting on it either. Weighing obsessively has never worked for me so why not try something new?
Old 01-16-2008, 06:30 AM   #117  
Chick

Morning Chicks - hope everyone is having a good week. I am back at work. So far so good. Two weeks of workouts done! So, my clothes aren't falling of me yet. Heck, I don't even feel them getting very much looser. Patience required. I do feel better though. The workouts are making me feel strong again. I am constantly scanning for some sign that eating better and working out is leaving some visible proof. Maybe a little muscle tone in the arms? Anyway, my new workouts are big on planks and side planks. Last night I held my plank 45 seconds which two weeks ago the limit was about 15 seconds so that feels really good.
Old 01-16-2008, 08:56 AM   #118  
Dieting Diva

G'morning ladies !
I am stopping by and checking in !

I have just eaten my 6th, extremely clean meal for the second day in a row
Goodness Gracious alive- someone is getting serious ! Infact everyone sounds like they are really working on things which is great !
I gained over Christmas- everything is still fitting ok= but not as nice so I am back pushing iron and mixing it up with some yoga and belly dancing. Diet is ok- having a hard time as my kids still need to eat.
IT is strange how just a little bit of workout makes you feel strong. It is empowering and makes the chaos that clutters my head sometimes easier to deal with.
I have a job interview today.I am looking at new wheels.I used the "divorce" word in an email to my spouse this week(it's safe he's outa state this week).Kids are ok-my oldest has moved in with her BF in Austin. Mom was pretty critical last week- but they have taken her off her blood pressure meds. She actually went to the mall to walk yesterday, which beats going into hospice care which what they were suggesting.
I think my first place I know that I am working out is my pecs and then my quads- but then again that is just me. When I lost the big weight last year it was my legs that changed first- as if they belonged to someone else.
Everyone have a great week !
Old 01-16-2008, 03:52 PM   #119  

RAWK the clean eatin ledom & sirak!!

I'm still dealing with this annoying sore forearm...dr's appointmet got moved to Friday. I've been jogging outside - I'm not loving it yet...but it's a good way to get my heart rate up.
Old 01-21-2008, 07:00 PM   #120  
Dieting Diva

I think my new issue is now going to be weekends. Before the split weekends were safe because I just kept up with the plan and cooked for the family. Now when my daughter comes in <eyeroll> we seem to want to eat things like POPCORN with real butter, drink wine and play cards. We ate out and top of everything else I had a date ( I was real good except for the Guinness).I can work out during the week and eat really well- but this is starting to be a pattern when Leah comes in. I can do a relish tray for when we play cards which might help.She is fighting the same ten pounds I am so maybe I can get her to think about Subway or Applebee's
Exercise is getting enjoyable again. I went through a slightly sore period last week. I think I am over the hard part and ready to start upping my reps and increasing the dumbbells to where I was.
I hope everyone has a good week. It was last year at this time I was eating out of control and at my highest point in weight.I feel like celebrating with new motivation that I have been on this journey for almost a year.