Beck Diet Solution A step-by-step program to learn specific techniques to stay on our diet, lose weight, and maintain our weight loss for life.

Closed Thread

Old 09-23-2017, 04:58 AM   #121  
in development

Height: 5' 6"

Default Saturday morning - sun is out

I'm so pleased to have got through this week. It hasn't been difficult but let's just say I haven't really been on auto-pilot.

I did a fair amount of exercise and walking around yesterday. I'm currently collecting the DB from school every afternoon (rural bus problems) and have been surveying the area. I've discovered a local nature reserve which I'll be walking about in most days. Uneven ground is very good for developing balance muscles. I'm quite delighted by this. There's also a steep hill, so on other days I'll be doing (walking) hill intervals as I understand this is a great way to lose tummy fat.

I have to work on eating less, of course, but that will fall into place.

karen, yes, I think recipe books say that's what Welsh rarebit is. When I was little (in the 50s, just after rationing ended) we called cheese on toast Welsh rarebit. Possibly with a little mustard. I'll ask around to see what other people think. By the way, glad you're feeling so young!

curlyjax, oh yes - good food choices! I am working on that. My problem is that the food is usually a good choice but the amount is not.
Old 09-23-2017, 06:46 AM   #122  
Super Moderator

S/C/G: 239/173/165

Height: 5'9"

Thumbs up Saturday - The Lewis and Clark expedition returns (1806, St. Louis)

Diet Coaches/Buddies – Did my shopping at the supermarket without buying unplanned snack foods, CREDIT moi. I did buy the ingredients for a large salad to take to a potluck tonight. I like my 'potluck' salad because I add Gorgonzola cheese and roasted pecans. I'd add advocata except that I'm totally incapable of buying one that's ripe for the day that I want to use it.

Walking, CREDIT moi, included a stop at the local locksmith to have a key duplicated. This is the shop of serious, professional, locksmiths. They have a zillion keys on the wall and are a group of folks who can answer any question. I spent an additional thirty minutes looking over the newest locks. Wish that I had a need for a totally undrillable lock for a tool van or isolated shed.

silverbirch – Good that you get out to a theatre and dinner - even if not the best choice in foods. [LOL that 'grilled cheese' is "fraught with politics and difficulty." There is a new Canadian restaurant in town that serves poutine. I'm working up my nerves to go try it.] Neat to discover a new place to walk.

Karen (karenrn) - Hiking when "stream crossings were no higher than upper calf" still seems like more wet boots than I'd like on a long hike. Hope your new countertops meet expectations.

curlyjax - LOL at "Funny how obvious some things are when you pay attention" - seems like that a major point of Beck's CBT.

Readers -
Quote:
chapter 3 How Thin People Think

characteristic 8
You Stop Dieting Once You Lose Weight

The Beck Diet Solution

In order to lose weight this time, you'll learn crucial Cognitive Therapy techniques that you'll use for the rest of our life. They include planning what you eat, choosing healthy foods, resisting cravings, soothing yourself without turning to food, using good eating habits, and exercising, to name but a few. You'll also learn essential skills to counter sabotaging thoughts that would otherwise lead to overeating, demoralization, and giving up. And you'll learn how to motivate yourself to use your skills in the future.

Judith S. Beck, Ph.D., The Beck Diet Solution (Pink book), pg 41.
Old 09-23-2017, 11:12 AM   #123  

S/C/G: 173/181/ 165

Height: 5'6

Good morning, Coaches.

I woke up to the best of fall weather. 75 degrees at noon. I love fall. I always have. October is my favorite month - not just because it is the month of my sobriety birthday but because of the leaves, the air, the great hiking. Next weekend, I will be up in Tahoe with two girl friends celebrating my 30th anniversary. I can't wait.

When I slow down like I am doing this weekend, I recognize that my weight loss program has become a maintenance program. And because I finally have time, I question whether this is what I want. Beck writes a lot about losing the last 10 pounds. What am I willing to give up? Is losing the last 10 pounds to get into the four pairs of work pants worth it? I always think the answer yes but then my actions say, "No." Hmmmm.

I do know I want to feel attractive as a woman. This has always been important to me. My new hair cut and the care I take dressing is very helpful. But really, i think it is the energy I project into my everyday life that is the most attractive part of me. None of those things will improve being down ten pounds. Keeping to my pledge to wear a fitbit and walk above twenty miles a week is keeping me active. I will also continue to stretch and add weights.

Did I mention I ended up in a"skin" institute for a mole check that was really a cosmetic procedure place? For the introductory price of $4,000 they can vacuum(cool sculpt) my stomach which will take away the fat and leave crepe skin. Hmmmm. Same for under the arms. The results promised in no way resembled the models who plaster their walls. The best part was the PA, who while telling me about botox, said that when we squish up our forehead, it will leave a mark like a folder paper. He had to use his fingers to squish up his forehead because he had had so much botox he couldn't move his forehead muscles.

I remember thinking my hundred year old grandmother beautiful and elegant. I don't remember her wrinkles.

So, for today, I am right on track. spending the hours to be healthy. That is what is most important.

karenRN: Belated HB. I want to be hiking when I am 80.

Last edited by maryann; 09-23-2017 at 12:55 PM.
Old 09-23-2017, 02:52 PM   #124  

S/C/G: ?/136/125

Height: 5'5"

Good morning coaches,

What a difference a good nights sleep makes. I am feeling like a million bucks today. I hiked with Suzanne and another friend of hers. It was a beautiful 64 degrees when we started and is still only 80 degrees at 11:40 a.m. It's from a cold front that won't be staying forever, but I'm enjoying it today. It will be cool like this again tomorrow, so maybe I can hike Tom's Thumb after my 7 to 9 a.m. greeter duty. One of the most thrilling things for me this morning is that I was able to keep up with Suzanne up the hill. I think my workouts at the gym are helping my leg strength. The poor gal that was with us doesn't usually do such a strenuous hike and the two of them drank wine last night. I was glad I only had one beer.

Food has been mostly on plan, but my son sent me some cashew butter with cardamom (and coconut sugar). It has a very unusual and kind of addictive taste and I am not huge on nut butters. I had a couple of spoonfuls yesterday. I won't have any for at least a week. I hid it in the refer and hopefully I can forget about it for longer. It doesn't sound appealing today, but it was yesterday.

Maryann I have similar feelings about wanting to lose 10 pounds. I have a really small bone structure, but no one would no because I have always had some extra pounds on it. I want to get rid of the extra pudge in my lower abdomen. I'm not sure it's possible to do that and maintain it and I'm not sure I want to restrict myself enough to know. Your trip to Tahoe next weekend sounds marvelous. I know they are getting snow already in the Sierras. Will there be snow?

Bill It really is difficult to buy a ripe avocado. Right now they are really high priced here and rock hard. I'm not sure why and it's unusual.

Silverbirch Let me know if that walking uphill works on the belly fat. It doesn't seem to do it for me and I walk up a lot of hills. I do agree the uneven ground has got to be helping with balance.

Waving to the rest of you! I'd better do something productive with this energy.
Old 09-23-2017, 02:52 PM   #125  

S/C/G: 210/200/180

Height: 5' 8"

I spent a fair amount of time trying to find the worksheets for the Diet online. With some I was successful; others, no so much. Finally, I figured it out that it's easy to just type the graphs into Excel. I also could have used Word.

Yesterday, I wasn't able to do the Day 11 exercises. Today, I didn't have a chart made in Excel until about an hour ago.

I'll just delay things and do Day 11 tomorrow. I don't want to rush things and miss out on the benefit of going through the program.

A few days ago at work, several people began a 12 week contest to see who could lose the most weight by percentage of weight lost. Each person participating would contribute $20 and the winner would get all the money. I decided against doing it. The whole idea of the Beck Diet, as I understand it, is to make long-term changes to the way I handle diet obstacles in order to turn it into a sustainable long-term plan. Working on the contest might cause me to do things to aggressively lose weight, like working out for hours on some days. But participating might hinder me in developing a sustainable weight loss plan.

Last edited by keengkong; 09-23-2017 at 02:58 PM. Reason: Forgot to include the contest
Old 09-23-2017, 07:42 PM   #126  
Enjoying la bella vita

S/C/G: 28 pounds to go

Height: 5-4

Great posts to catch up on today! I'm struggling a bit - two steps forward and one back, but still the goal to get some of this weight off me stands, so I'm not completely losing focus. DH just went out to get dinner - I'd not planned enough in advance and spent the whole day (!) putting kilz on the ceiling, then out for paint for the ceiling, then painting it, painting all the trim (my efforts the other night were seriously lacking when light hit it) and cutting in at the ceiling and then bam - finished the room with the roller and touchups. DH was surprised I was DONE. So still on track for him to lay down the vapor paper/vizkleen or however they spell it, and then get on with the flooring to finish tomorrow. The trim won't be done until next weekend he said. I dn't want to wait that long to get everything put back in there, so he said well, he'll try to tackle the big walls and leave the closet for the end. That works. I guess. So tonight since we're stuck with no marketing done yet, I suggested he run to the chinese place and we split kung pao chicken - it's sauteed and not one fried like orange chicken. And brown rice. We asked and they gave. I never knew that was an option until the one on the road this week. SO ... while I didn't get in my 10K steps today because I am not sure what I got in while painting, I was still not sitting on the couch.

Of all things, I'm looking forward to kicking back with a Hallmark movie tonight. All DH said was thank goodness we have two tvs! haha -- I'll go to the bedroom, run a bath and relax and scrub more before enjoying. My MIL LOVES - absolutely LOVES - Hallmark movies, esp the holiday ones. I just saw that they are coming out with some christmas ones on Oct. 3, and you can preorder them, so I ordered her two as a surprise, just to be sent her way, with a note. She can't get online easily as they're so far out in the country with no service. I have no bars on my phone there, etc. No worry that she'll order them as well.

Yesterday was OK UNTIL DH suggested pizza for dinner. I demurred and said let's pick something else since I just had Italian ... we went to this trendy mexican place downtown that was a hopping spot! A long wait but we walked all around and then they texted me. We both loved it, but the chips and the churros that I specifically requested for dessert were not on plan. Oh, and the small flour tortillas weren't either. The rest actually fit ... but those two doomed me. I wanted them (again I say this to let myself register it) more than I wanted to stay on plan. I gotta get my head on straight. The tacos were miniature - 4 bites max ... and the serving is three. I brought one home and DH had it with his lunch. The dinner could not have been better - the service, food, everything - just A+. I don't mind spending money on a nice evening out like that. We weren't nearly as dressy as others, but ... not out of place.

A rambling wreck here ... sorry for the wordiness. Better get the table set.
Old 09-24-2017, 07:40 AM   #127  
Super Moderator

Thumbs up Sunday - Muhammad completes Hegira (622, Mecca to Medina)

Diet Coaches/Buddies – Walk, CREDIT moi, included picking up four books at a micro-library. Two were for the DGD - who can consume an infinite number. Two were for me. I paused and thought. My current life includes several stacks of books that have drifted into spaces in our house that bug DW. Both adult books exist at the library. I put them back. Small steps matter.

Dinner at a potluck was under control, CREDIT moi. I brought my salad. The Gorgonzola that I planned to use was getting ripe. I put it beside the salad and warned folks. Half had the salad without. The other half heaped it on and commented on how good it tasted. There is no expiration date on the container. The hostess told me that it's good until completely black, LOL. She was one of those who heaped.

maryann - Thanks for "I don't remember her wrinkles." Wrinkles just aren't the worst thing in the world.

nationalparker – That's a neat use of technology that allows you to wander about enjoying yourself while waiting for your table. Congrats for finding a restaurant that you both liked that much.

Karen (karenrn) - Yep, cashew butter can be addictive. Cashews are the tree nuts that I had to stop buying because the 'handful' I took for a snack kept getting bigger and bigger. Congrats on keeping up with Suzanne.

keengkong - Good to see your avatar picture. Who is the dog in your arms and who is the ceramic bear in the background? Thanks for the terse summary of Beck, "make long-term changes to the way I handle diet obstacles in order to turn it into a sustainable long-term plan."

Readers -
Quote:
chapter 3 How Thin People Think

characteristic 8
You Stop Dieting Once You Lose Weight

The Beck Diet Solution

The good news is that once you learn these skills, dieting becomes much easier. And so does maintaining your weight loss. The dieters I counsel tell me this all the time. It doesn't require as much effort to maintain your weight as it does to lose it - if you learn the skills you need along the way.

Judith S. Beck, Ph.D., The Beck Diet Solution (Pink book), pg 41.
Old 09-24-2017, 09:13 AM   #128  

S/C/G: 177/177/145

Height: 5'2

Hi coaches! Today we skipped church and went out to eat breakfast, which we do as an occasional treat. Oog, now I feel way too full. Also I broke down and let myself have dessert last night and then did some emotional eating as well. I think I may stop weighing myself for a bit- its too discouraging when you know you’ve been on track and nothing happens, and then I say the heck with it and start to eat. Today I have to do a bunch of things i don’t want to do- even planning meals, i feel like watching tv all day.
But the weather is lovely out and I am going to rally right now.
Happy Sunday everyone!
Old 09-24-2017, 10:35 PM   #129  
Enjoying la bella vita

Welp... at a high water mark and now working my way down. Amazing how fast the pounds have piled on when I just don't down deep care. Now, clothes are an issue. I will use the next three months, hopefully getting to Christmas Eve in a better frame of mind and a more active, leaner body. Went bin diving into my offseason clothes bins and found a few pair of pants that I'd not goodwilled, though one pair certainly could be. I'll move my size 10s back in there and haul these **** 14s back out for now. I'm torn because I love that DH loves me no matter where I am on the gain 20, lose 20 range ... but he does comment that he likes chest/butt at this weight. ugh. I do not.

A busy day today. Woke up and checked out the room I just painted and WOW it needed a second coat, solidly. Made Sunday brunch then did a quick marketing run for fresh fruits and veggies and some beans we needed. Back home and into my painting garb and got at it. DH ran and got more rollers and pan liners and later, more paint. Got it all redone again and it looks much better. DH is loving this color and keeps asking if we should do x room in this, as well. Did all the laundry and the sheets, and now have fresh sheets for Sunday night. I like that. Made a semi-new soup for dinner, even though it's completely grilling weather. Not sure what I was thinking when I made my menu out. I'll conk out in good time tonight, I hope.
Old 09-24-2017, 11:47 PM   #130  

S/C/G: 210/200/180

Height: 5' 8"

Quote:
Originally Posted by BillBlueEyes View Post
Diet Coaches/Buddies – Two were for the DGD - who can consume an infinite number. . . .

Dinner at a potluck was under control, CREDIT moi. I brought my salad. The Gorgonzola that I planned to use was getting ripe. I put it beside the salad and warned folks. Half had the salad without. The other half heaped it on and commented on how good it tasted. There is no expiration date on the container. The hostess told me that it's good until completely black, LOL. She was one of those who heaped.

keengkong - Good to see your avatar picture. Who is the dog in your arms and who is the ceramic bear in the background? Thanks for the terse summary of Beck, "make long-term changes to the way I handle diet obstacles in order to turn it into a sustainable long-term plan."
What does DGD stand for?

Congratulations on the disciplined eating.

The dog is my sixteen year old dachshund, Rusty. There's another dachshund that you can barely see in the front of the picture. We also have a jack russell terrier, not pictured. Your question as to the bear threw me for a loop. I asked my wife. She said that it's a ceramic polar bear from Italy.
Old 09-25-2017, 05:22 AM   #131  
Super Moderator

Thumbs up Monday - William Faulkner born (1897, near Oxford, Mississippi)

Diet Coaches/Buddies – Standard Sunday walk with DW, CREDIT moi. Our path crossed a road 'Walk' by folks with strollers, in groups, and happily chatting. They all wore matching t-shirts and were having a grand time. I never figured out what cause they were out for, but did wish I'd known about it and had joined in.

Managed to control snacking at an evening event, CREDIT moi. Fortunately the room where we met for two hours was not the room with the table of goodies. I arrived just as the meeting started to help avoid the time when I'd be tempted to eat - even though it was right after dinner and I wasn't hungry.

nationalparker – Ouch for seeing that a second coat of paint is needed. Kudos for just applying it. It's so hard to plan a menu when the weather is switching back and forth between summer and fall.

curlyjax - Yep, Kudos for doing "a bunch of things I don’t want to do - even planning meals."

keengkong - DGD stands for 'Dear GrandDaughter' - the two year old wonder of my life. Welcome to 3FC, Rusty - with congrats for reaching such a great dog age.

Readers -
Quote:
chapter 4 How To Use the Beck Diet Solution

During the next six weeks, you'll begin to make over your mindset and, as a result, gain the skills you need to make over your body. You'll learn how to motivate yourself and how to feel good about eating differently. You'll develop a consistent sense of control that will continue to grow the longer you practice the techniques in this program. And you'll learn how to use your new skill for a lifetime, so you'll be able to maintain your weight loss.

Judith S. Beck, Ph.D., The Beck Diet Solution (Pink book), pg 44.
Old 09-25-2017, 08:18 PM   #132  

S/C/G: 173/181/ 165

Height: 5'6

Phone check in. Weight super high from pain meds for my neck. Oh well. Reasonable amounts of food. 7,000 steps. Good enough.

I did a three hour shop in my closet session. Released some things that never make the cut for one reason or another even though I should wear them. Took time to see if new combos fit. Wore one of the new outfits and had three compliments.
Neck hurts from PT so I think I'll cook the boys dinner, call it a day and declare it a win.

Last edited by maryann; 09-25-2017 at 08:20 PM.
Old 09-25-2017, 11:21 PM   #133  
Enjoying la bella vita

Default In the groove

One more workday down...walked a bit at lunch. On plan meals throughout, so some credit there. Dinner was red beans and rice (brown) with the sliced up chicken andouille sausage. DH really likes it. Was halfway thru making it and out of chicken broth so turned it off and ran to the market ...ugh. hate that. Off to bed so brief tonight.
Old 09-25-2017, 11:47 PM   #134  

S/C/G: ?/136/125

Height: 5'5"

Good evening coaches,

This will be a short one, but at least I'm writing it. Food was off plan on Saturday and still a little off on Sunday. Today was on plan or under plan and also walk and gym day. This evening I had the first meeting of a book club I just joined. It is with the women's group for the McDowell Sonoran Preserve that I belong to. I must say I was not looking forward to it. I was afraid they might be a bunch of snooty women. We have some of those in Scottsdale. Well, heck they are all over aren't they. Anyway, the group was very nice and almost all right around my age. Hiking Suzanne encouraged me to join because she belongs, but she is ever so much more comfortable in those situations than I am. I really can't believe how much social stuff she does. I truly do need to do a little more, so I will give it a good try. Anyway, the meeting was from 6 to 8 p.m. I didn't eat dinner before I went which was a good thing, because a meal was served, but I stayed well within what I could have and drank water. I am always so pleased with myself when I choose well.

I will write a better note with personals tomorrow.
Old 09-26-2017, 05:41 AM   #135  
Super Moderator

Thumbs up Tuesday - T.S. Eliot is born (1888, St. Louis, Missouri)

Diet Coaches/Buddies – Walk, CREDIT moi, to classes. We had Lewis and Clark encountering the Teton Sioux (Lakota people). The Sioux wanted guns, powder, balls, and whiskey. Lewis and Clark did not have enough supplies to give each tribe such large gifts. The encounter ended poorly, but with no fighting. So they continued.

At my evening event, I ate no snacks, CREDIT moi. It was a warm day here. It felt odd to have dinner on the patio - odd but thoroughly enjoyed. Serenity was interrupted when the neighbor and kids came over asking if that alarm going off was in our house. We thought not, but asked the young kids to walk through our house recognizing that some high pitched alarms are outside of our hearing range. The kids loved being asked to be our hearing assistants. Turns out the alarm was from the house behind us. Firemen came and the alarm ended. We all just had this awful notion of folks lying on the floor unconscious while the CO Alarm blared on. Never found out what it was.

maryann - Yay for shopping in your own closet. Neat to recognize that 'should' needn't apply to clothes that you want to wear.

nationalparker – "The Souix is a Stout bold looking people (the young men hand Som) & well made. The Warriors are Verry much deckerated with Pain Porcupin quils & featers, large leagins & mockersons, all with buffalow roabs of Different Colours. The Squars wore Peticoats & a white Buffalow roabes with the black hair turned back over their necks & Shoulders." William Clark, August, 1805, in Undaunted Courage.

Karen (karenrn) - Yep, neat to recognize that "snooty" folks exist everywhere. Hope you enjoyed your book club - I do enjoy ours.

Readers -
Quote:
chapter 4 How To Use the Beck Diet Solution

I predict that six weeks from now, when you look back and compare yourself with how you are today, you'll be surprised at how much you've changed - and not only because you've lost weight. You'll realize that you're a different kind of eater. You'll have a full set of new tools and a new-and-improved mindset that will last forever.

Judith S. Beck, Ph.D., The Beck Diet Solution (Pink book), pg 44.
Closed Thread