Beck Diet Solution A step-by-step program to learn specific techniques to stay on our diet, lose weight, and maintain our weight loss for life.

Closed Thread

Old 09-06-2017, 10:13 AM   #31  

S/C/G: ?/136/125

Height: 5'5"

Good morning coaches,

Back from a shorter walk this morning with Otis and I've eaten breakfast. Today's plans include Crossfit and grocery shopping and who knows what else. I guess worrying about the hurricanes and the fires. I grew up about an hour from the Columbia River Gorge. Actually the Columbia River runs past the town where I was born, Longview, WA. The photos of this beautiful place are horrendous and to think teenagers with fireworks started the fire. My family and friends in three different places in Washington told me about how awful the smoke is and the ash that is falling. Also, my cousin who lives in Savannah, Georgia posted their evacuation plan on FB. So many people in this country with so much going on with these natural disasters. I am so thankful we only have the heat to deal with at this point.

I was very pleased with my good on plan day yesterday. I have quite a few on plan days, but it is because there aren't often obstacles. I met my friends for happy hour and had a Diet Coke and then we shared 4 bruschetta that was cut into 12 pieces. I had 2 small pieces. Since I had saved over half my calories for the day, just in case, I came home and had some cottage cheese and air popped popcorn and was within my points/calories. I really do believe each time I exercise my resistance muscle, it gets stronger and I gain confidence.

Maryann So nice to have gratification from the hard work you put in with your classroom planning. I have bangs now too. I also tried to grow them out because I used to wear my hair that way for years. I find the hair at my hairline is not as thick as it used to be, so it really looks better with bangs. Congratulations on nearly 30 years of sobriety. That is a major accomplishment. I'm sure you have lots good thoughts to share when you speak.

I'd better get moving if I want to get anything done before the gym. More personals later or tomorrow.
Old 09-06-2017, 11:52 AM   #32  

S/C/G: 177/177/145

Height: 5'2

Hi Coaches-yesterday was a bit of a wash with planning food, too many sandwiches, but at least I ate because I was truly hungry and not for any other reason.
September is very busy – lots of school related meetings with DD a senior. I definitely feel like September is more of a new year than January, as I believe someone else said earlier. Our church kicks into gear too so everything is bustling again, which is good.

Karenrn- hmm- I’m not sure if I would rec Wind River. I found it depressing- I guess I was expecting something more like Tony Hillerman stuff. This was more like a cop show than a thriller. But a part of the country I know little about, Wyoming and Native American reservations, so that was interesting.
Old 09-06-2017, 10:08 PM   #33  
Enjoying la bella vita

S/C/G: 28 pounds to go

Height: 5-4

Now I'm starting to worry about my brother and his family in Florida - hoping that any of the impacts for them aren't severe. It'll be a few days before we know more. My SIL will have to be at work as managing all evacuation and storm preparedness is under her purview. I'll check in with him each day briefly and have a backup to contact someone else to make sure we stay connected. My method is to check the news, see where things stand, and then move on to something else.

Dinner was on plan but not delish. Reminder that all food need not be yummy. It was the dreaded tuna night - I had the cans chilled and put the tuna salad (with lemon juice, cukes, onion and mustard) on top of a bed of spring greens. Drove south after work to drop off the outdoor papasan and cushion to my friend. She was very excited and I was happy for it to land with someone I know who could use it.

Lunch was out with three gal friends from work to try a new place with all eclectic options. I ordered as best I could for what I liked. It was good but not a place I'm likely to return to. MIL birthday is tomorrow - I need to get thinking of where we can gather for dinner either Saturday night or next weekend. I could cook dinner for us all and save money, but since it's my birthday as well coming up, I don't want to do the marketing, cooking and cleanup. Unless I can think of something that's a good option.

Karen - You do a superb job maintaining and balancing your activity with food intake. I am glad that you enjoy it as well; get to spend meals with friends, and it's not just tracking and no pleasure.

Silverbirch - Credits to you for your meal prep and planning. And what a nice bounty from your gardens. I would love to commit more time to mine. I did years ago, before I was married and when work was a bit lighter load. I stopped off for a flat of pansies and no luck yet. Just mums. And I must be the one person who doesn't care for mums - they bloom and then never again. Nearly every year I fall for it - buy a blooming beauty and then a week or so later, kaput.

Bill - LOL at the leaving all the books in the little free library ... we're still in discussion stage of ours. I asked DH if he'd like to buy the basic one and paint it nicely, etc. No, he wants to build it. So I'm still holding onto books to start it off ... I wanted to confirm that it was still in the future before I hung onto them when putting things back on shelves after the flooring in that room. I think we've got a perfect spot for it... I hope someone else doesn't beat us to it. HA.
Old 09-07-2017, 05:02 AM   #34  
in development

Height: 5' 6"

Flying in to say hello. More things knocking my plan off course yesterday but having the basic outline really helps. Today is looking a bit too flexible for my liking too. Luckily I froze some of the big soup (Armenian lentil) last week so we'll have that tonight. It's Big Soup day.

Good luck, all.
Old 09-07-2017, 05:25 AM   #35  
Super Moderator

S/C/G: 239/173/165

Height: 5'9"

Thumbs up Thursday - Desmond Tutu becomes archbishop (1986, Cape Town)

Diet Coaches/Buddies – Exercise was chasing DGD, CREDIT moi. She climbed over every structure at two different playgrounds and joined the singing at the local library's children's program. It was a busy day for her. The great thing is that DD says that we can now turn the car seat around facing forward. That gives me a week to figure out how to do that. It should be simple. However, I remember taking hours to install it in the first place. This parenting business is for the young, LOL.

Eating was on plan, CREDIT moi. Salad had two home grown tomatoes - one red and one yellow. So yummy. There isn't much time for snacking when the DGD is around. I finished the book for our reading group in two weeks. That's the earliest I've ever been ready. That leaves time to reread some key parts.

Joy (gardenerjoy) – Yep, some time just has to be spent making life work.

silverbirch – Happy "Big Soup day" - few things make DW as happy as having dinner already made in the freezer.

maryann - So neat that you've got a set of students that you can enjoy instead of just fighting fires. Good luck with your speaking engagement tonight.

nationalparker – Neat to think of a restaurant with "eclectic options." I do hope that Hurricane Irma spares your brother. I have relatives in the Miami area and so far they don't feel threatened.

Karen (karenrn) - Thanks for the reminder of how many parts of the U.S. have natural disasters right now. It may make it hard for us as a country to recognize the disasters happening in the Caribbean.

curlyjax - Super Kudos for eating because you were truly hungry.

Readers -
Quote:
chapter 3 How Thin People Think

characteristic 5
You Comfort Yourself with Food

On the other hand, when you're distressed or bored, you might immediately want to grab food. Eating can distract you from your negative feelings and soothe you. In fact, there are certain foods - chocolate for example - that contain substances that release "feel good" chemicals in your brain.

Judith S. Beck, Ph.D., The Beck Diet Solution (Pink book), pg 38.
Old 09-07-2017, 09:00 AM   #36  

S/C/G: 173/181/ 165

Height: 5'6

Weight at ticker. Yeah. Continuing to put one foot in front of the other. I looked at the dishes in the sink( not usual) and say Oh Well, first things first. DH has been working night and day in harvest. DS is a trooper with music, cross country and school. Who cares about a few dishes at some point I know they'll get done. I must save my intentions for exercise in a week that has no wiggle room. I will park the farthest away from places today to get some extra steps.
Old 09-07-2017, 10:15 AM   #37  
Green Tomatoes

I have a strange day with a morning appointment and an afternoon appointment, but there’s just enough time between and around that I can have all my normal food. So, that’s the plan – a day with my usual on-plan food choices. It will be a bit of a relief to have that as a calm foundation to build the rest of the day on.
Weigh-in: NC in kg, Exercise: +40, 255/1200 minutes for September

nationalparker: I'm having to limit my news exposure and I don't have near as good of an excuse as a brother in Florida. I have a Facebook friend in the British Virgin Islands who hasn't posted in 24 hours -- sure would like to see a post from her! My friend in Beaumont, Texas, is coping, still without power or reliable running water. I'll be thinking of you and your brother's family this weekend! I believe onebyone has relatives in Florida, too.
Old 09-07-2017, 12:26 PM   #38  

Good morning coaches,

Otis and I had a longer walk this morning and he has been asleep on the floor since we returned an hour ago. I think I wore him out. Later I'll go to yoga. I feel muscle tension in my neck and I think before it gets to be a headache, I'll look at some YouTube video exercises that helped before.

Yesterday dh and I each had some craziness. He got a call from the guy installing our cabinets to say the water was overflowing from the pool all over the yard. Dh had started to hose the afternoon before to water a few plants with a little extra, dropped the hose in the pool and then forgot to turn it off. Can't wait to see that bill.

I went to the grocery store, got annoyed by something on the way back out to the car with the groceries and got home without my purse. Holy moly, I drove back to the store as quickly as possible and thank God my purse was still in the cart. The good news is it was the first Wednesday of the month which means 10% off for old people (like me), so I had to park quite a distance out from the door. If I told you how many times I've done this you would probably think I have dementia. I think this was the 4th time in 14 years or so . . . . and every time I get my purse back with not one thing missing. One time in Tacoma a gal took it to work with her because she was afraid someone else would steal it and then she called me. Another time here a gal took it with her and got ahold of me. It was at Costco and she thought the parking lot guys would steal it. I am grateful for the good people who are doing their job and taking care of me.

GardenerJoy It sounds like you will have a busy day. I find that usually helps me.

Maryann With as busy as you are, you really do need to prioritize don't you. I don't like dirty dishes, but they sure aren't going anywhere.

Bill Good luck on the car seat project. I have heard those can really be difficult. I'm looking at a car seat for Otis. There is one by Snoozer that is a lookout seat so he can sit up higher and see out the window. The good news is that it is easy to install. It's really amazing that all of us older folks didn't die with the way we rode . . . no seat belts, the backs of pick up trucks, etc.

Silverbirch It's always good to have to leftovers to fall back on. Too hot for soup here, but soon.

Nationalparker Couldn't your brother just fly up and stay with you for a week? I sure wouldn't want to hang around in Florida waiting to see what will happen. It just looks crazy with people trying to get out of town. You're right that all food doesn't need to be nummy, but I do hate those nights when I sit down and the food isn't appealing to me. Luckily it doesn't happen very often and I'm sure it doesn't at your house either.

Curlyjax I think I'll hold off on Wind River. I don't think I need to see anything that is kind of depressing right now. I think the next movie I might see is Patti Cake$.

I'm getting a little nervous about meeting all the new people tomorrow. Not so much about meeting them but about the logistics. It is not very well planned and I'm afraid it isn't going to run very smoothly. It isn't my gig though, so I will try to just be easy going and go with the flow. Often I am the lead planner when my friends and I do things so I have a little more control. I am not a control freak, but I would say sometimes I prefer very small groups so there doesn't have to be as much compromise. People standing around unable to make a decision and being so polite that nothing happens bugs me. It feels like such a waste of time. Well, I'll let you know how it all goes in a couple of days.

Have a good day everybody!
Old 09-07-2017, 12:27 PM   #39  

S/C/G: 177/177/145

Height: 5'2

Hi Coaches- I hope everyone’s friends and families are okay in FL and Texas. I keep wondering what will happen with all the schools down there, when can they ever start up again. I limit my news exposure too Gardenerjoy especially at night. At least we can send money or supplies down to help in that way.
Got a bit off track yesterday- the lure of FREE mini chocolates. But I ended up a little hungry at night and didn’t eat so credit for that.

Last night DS announced there is a pasta eating/team bonding night next week before a cross country meet and I “didn’t have to worry” about the driving, as the seniors would be driving everyone. Hmm- somehow that makes me worry actually! It’s right after practice and I’m sure it will be find, but I had to laugh at his thinking process.

Bill- ah, how I remember those car seats! think it’s a lot easier to put it in the forward facing way as I recall.
Old 09-07-2017, 05:01 PM   #40  
Enjoying la bella vita

I hope to get in some project time this evening, so wanted to do an earlier post today. Brought random things for my lunch today, but it all fits on program. Rushed extra veggie was splitting a container of grape tomatoes with DH and each taking some balsamic...we can cut and season at work. Organic so I didn't even wash them, but figure we can do that if they feel gritty. Cooler morning again today. Had my volunteering gig over lunch today.

How's this for irony? I'm now supervising someone else, so the issues with the other direct report go to someone else - someone others of us worry will just let everything completely slide. I met with my former report today and she's not happy with the change. She wanted to stay with me. I felt like I was the one who didn't let things slide and she would be happy to be with someone else. Odd.

Bill - I think most EMS will check that the install is correct for child seats - and will help if an issue - they like to check! I like the idea of a book group but I honestly just want to read what I want to read, so I'd not be a good member. Except for the food treats. That'd I'd enjoy, prepping for others to eat! HA.

CurlyJax - I'm interested in hearing about your hypnosis if that comes to pass. I've always been interested in that for various reasons - mind healing and such. I know if I were to undergo a serious surgery, etc., I'd look into that - especially when Dr. Andrew Weil years ago discussed its benefits in mind-body healing.

Karen - Ugh on the water into the pool - well, the water out of the pool, I should say. I'd called my brother yesterday and invited him up - I know his wife has to stay. But I also know he wouldn't want to leave. He's not in danger of flooding (at least not expected, as they're a good bit inland). Their kids are there, and hopefully they get a good plan in place. I need to look up Patti Cake$ - not heard of that one. Great news with the purse - that is good karma!

Joy - I don't post on FB - just here, but I imagine after a storm, I'd be much more into cleanup, so maybe your friend in the BVI is in the same spot - getting done what needs to be tackled right off the bat. While at times I like the 24/7 option for when I just have a few minutes to catch up on something and it's not during a regular news hour - the rest of the time it just seems to be meant to induce stress to keep watching in case anything changed. I got aggravated last night when a reporter said they hoped the storm didn't go through Marco Island since it's just a beautiful spot. Really. It's an exorbitantly wealthy area and yes, it's been designed wonderfully, but that hit me odd. Or maybe I was just cranky! HA!
Old 09-08-2017, 06:18 AM   #41  
Super Moderator

S/C/G: 239/173/165

Thumbs up Friday - International Literacy Day (Since 1965, UNESCO)

Diet Coaches/Buddies – First day of class for me. As much as I mourn the end of summer, taking courses makes me so happy. I've got to try to figure out why really smart folks spent hundreds of years without developing the notion of a scientific experiment until Galileo showed us how. Until then, people postulated how the world worked just as Aristotle had done. It was considered 'dirty' to go make measurements. Newton on a grand scale ignored that way of thinking. Apparently, the Scientific Revolution had difficulty coming into existence. Walking to class is one of my favorite things. However, rain threatened so I drove.

Eating was on plan, CREDIT moi. One more garden tomato on the green salad that I made. DW bought another three quarts of blueberries. We'll stretch this summer thing as far as we're able.

Joy (gardenerjoy) – Neat that on-plan food choices can serve as a foundation for your day.

maryann - Kudos for actually putting into practice, "Oh Well, first things first." During my childhood an aunt was routinely criticized for having unwashed dishes in the sink. She spent her time on the big bed reading to her six kids. She understood first things first.

nationalparker – It is ironic that your problem report wanted to stay with you; we just never know how other folks see a situation. Love the image of you drizzling your grape tomatoes at the office.

Karen (karenrn) - In my next life I think I'll be a dog so I can takes naps all day. What a life! Yikes for the overflow with the pool and the potential disaster your purse. I'll note that the folks in Arizona are honest.

curlyjax - Yep, Kudos for ignoring hunger at night. I, too, laugh at the notion that we shouldn't worry since high school seniors will be driving.

Readers -
Quote:
chapter 3 How Thin People Think

characteristic 5
You Comfort Yourself with Food

The problem, of course, is that you feel better only momentarily. What happens as soon as you're finished eating? You still have to deal with the problem that made you upset. And, on top of that, you feel bad that you strayed from your diet. You become self-critical, undermine your confidence, and feel even worse than you did at the start.

Judith S. Beck, Ph.D., The Beck Diet Solution (Pink book), pg 38.
Old 09-08-2017, 09:02 AM   #42  

S/C/G: 173/181/ 165

Height: 5'6

Good morning, Coaches.

Yesterday ran officially from 6 a.m. to 10:00 pm when I got home. The speaker gig was real, let me tell you. Usually, i try to be entertaining but last night it was just the truth. I didn't t feel great about some of the classes but I can regroup and give it a second shot today. Tonight and tomorrow are more straight through craziness because of a family wedding.

Credit for deciding NOT to eat after I got home fromt the speaker meeting. Thought of Silverbirch and asked myself "What would it be like if you just went to bed?" What happened was I fell asleep. Oh. I'll try that again tonite. Weight at ticker.

Last edited by maryann; 09-08-2017 at 09:03 AM.
Old 09-08-2017, 10:17 AM   #43  

Good morning coaches,

Otis and I had a pleasant walk in a little bit cooler temp this morning, 80 degrees. We had thunder and lightening last evening and I don't know if it was the storm or what, but Otis was restless. I let him sleep on the bed, which I do very infrequently, mostly because I didn't want to get up and down. When I do get up I have trouble getting back to sleep. He stays pretty still and we all got a good sleep. Today all the people come in to town for the WW Divas and Dudes in the Desert meet-up. That won't be until afternoon, but first the gym.

I was over on my points yesterday because I broke down and had 2 beers. I was over by just under two beers. I absolve myself by saying I'm really on maintenance and can have more points each day than I allow. However, in all honesty I know that isn't true. Everything else about the day was very healthy.

Maryann I'm sure your audience appreciated your "real" talk. Humorous is great, but "real" is probably even better. Great job not eating after you got home.

Bill I've got to get back to taking some classes, one of these days. I look at them on-line and then see we have company coming during some of them and just don't sign up.

Nationalparker That is hysterical that the person who has caused you so much grief still wants to report to you. I guess it says something about how you felt about her compared to what her perception was.

Curlyjax Good luck surviving the teenage years. Even boys can give us a run for our money.

Well, I had better get moving. Dh is going to be on his own more today and tomorrow than he has been in quite a long time. I just remember that he knows how to feed himself and the dog, he has actually done it for weeks when I travelled.

I'll let you all know how this crazy meet up turns out.
Old 09-08-2017, 08:47 PM   #44  
Enjoying la bella vita

A good day, all in all. An afternoon meeting was moved to the morning, so I wrapped stuff up and took half day vacation, meeting DH for lunch and then coming home to relax. On the way home, I stopped and picked up three samples of paint for the front two rooms ... painted the big squares on the walls. After I got a good look, I didn't like any of them - so later went back and got one more that I like. I had been looking at sage-y greens - light, but that's a no go... so as DH kinda made fun of me for always choosing yellows, I went right back to golden yellowish (light) - I love the happiness sunny color to get through a dark five months here. He asked for a lighter shade and I'm fine with that, so will get a gallon of the lighter one and just go to it tomorrow. He despises painting and I don't mind it, so a good match. Did get to sit out on the porch with a good book for a bit. Credit to take some time to relax.

Last edited by nationalparker; 09-08-2017 at 11:45 PM.
Old 09-08-2017, 11:14 PM   #45  
persist

S/C/G: 316/307/299

Height: 5' 6"

Default No change

Coaches

I have been beside myself over my sister and BIL not evacuating from Key West. I get it and I don't. I am more distracted and upset by this and what could happen than the days my mother was ill and then when she died.

What I think is I am in this phase of things happening and I can't expect things to let up so I can get my food on track. I have to do it anyway. I am not getting a break and I see my food getting worse and some weight coming back on. I'm certainly not losing anything. So I am going back on track. I've been about 90%op today. Credit.
Closed Thread