Beck Diet Solution A step-by-step program to learn specific techniques to stay on our diet, lose weight, and maintain our weight loss for life.

Closed Thread

Old 11-20-2015, 02:14 PM   #121  

S/C/G: 173/181/ 165

Height: 5'6

Good Morning, Coaches.

I am in pre-party mode. Can't believe I can host a party for 100 plus people. I over did it a little with the invites this year. And then the following day I have to prep for a week of holiday guests.

First things first:
I have meals planned.
I will try one more time to find some fall tablecloths. It is unbelievable to me that NO STORE HAS FALL DECORATIONS. It is only Christmas. I picked up two beautiful orange poinsettias though because they made me happy. DH will grumble that we are making things too fancy. He is the one that built a brand new bathroom at the shop to accommodate more guests. Men
Exercise is running around like a chicken with my . . . well you know the saying.

Also to make me happy: Called SIL and warned I better be playing with some of her grand babies at our ranch house. I have a longing for little ones. I did this to counteract DH grumbling about babies in the house. Can you see why sometimes we have friction in the holidays? Really, we are doing great and fill in gaps for each other.

Motto for the day: I am not going to win or lose the weight battle in these next two days. I am going to eat so I feel healthy and have energy with plenty of protein and veggies.

So: Off to pick up 100 somosas I ordered from a local Sikh family. I figure I will repackage some into a bag of 24 and freeze for meals over the course of the week. DH reminded them it is for us "nambi pamby non Indian folk" so go easy on the spice.

Happy Holidays.

Last edited by maryann; 11-20-2015 at 03:26 PM.
Old 11-20-2015, 03:59 PM   #122  

S/C/G: ?/136/125

Height: 5'5"

Just a quick check in today. Food was a little more than needed yesterday and I added 2 beers to that. Credit for an hour on the treadmill and then a one hour strength training class at the Y yesterday.

Today I did a nearly 3 hour hike with a friend, credit. So far food is on plan and I read my cards this morning, credit.

My brother and sister in law arrive tomorrow and I always enjoy their visits so I am really looking forward to that. They will be here for 8 days. They hike with me too so that is always a plus. I am pretty sure Thanksgiving will be very low key. If it is just the 4 of us I intend to keep it low cal and probably no dessert because the next day we will have my nieces, nephews and their children and serve lasagna and German chocolate cake.

Have a great weekend everybody.
Old 11-21-2015, 05:33 AM   #123  
Super Moderator

S/C/G: 239/173/165

Height: 5'9"

Thumbs up Saturday - Suffragettes storm Parliament (London, 1911)

Diet Coaches/Buddies – Did the gym group class, CREDIT moi, in a bunch of four. She's a great leader, speaking to each of us directly. It only takes me a few weeks of slacking in my exercises to feel like I've fallen to the bottom. Consistency matters.

Food was on plan, CREDIT moi - no snacks. The fun was buying the Thanksgiving turkey along with the ingredients for the brine: 2 gallons of apple cider, 4 lemons, rosemary, whole garlic. To save my marriage, I chose a 15 pound bird; my dreams were with the 25 pounder. DW feels constrained by the size of the fridge, the roasting pan, the brining pot, the oven, and the duration of leftovers. Oh, Well.

Alien Force (onebyone) – Kudos for clearing up everything in sight. Neat that you've got so much ceramics made for your sale. [Grandad is first choice, Grandpa is second. Talking seems so far away right now.]

Joy (gardenerjoy) – Yay for better sleep. This sentence makes me happy, "It's nice when taking care of myself gets the results I hope for."

maryann - Hats off for being able to host and feed 100 guests - that seems so big to me. LOL at "nambi pamby non Indian folk." DW just mentioned that she can't do real Indian food anymore - just the watered down version served to Americans.

nationalparker – Hope you got those Italian terracotta planters safely protected from frozen soil. I hate it when dry cereal appeals.

Karen (karenrn) - A low key Thanksgiving should allow the brain to think more rationally about food.

curlyjax - Ouch for that aching leg - hope you find a solution. Yep, I, too, think waking up hungry is a good sign.

Readers -
Quote:
Chapter 2 Foundation Strategies to Escape Your Traps

Foundation Strategy #9: Adopt (and adapt) an eating plan you can follow for life. You absolutely need a reasonable, flexible, nutritious diet if you want to escape your traps, lose weight, and maintain weight loss. You won't have long-term success with an unhealthy or overly restrictive diet.

Why, you ask? if eating fewer calories than you burn is the basis of any weight-loss plan, why can't you just drastically reduce your calories and lose weight quickly?

Answer: There is no such thing as cutting calories in the short term and then increasing calories without gaining weight. In fact, we don't want dieters to make changes they can't keep up for life, unless they are under the care of a medical provider. The changes you make to lose weight are exactly the same changes you need to maintain weight loss. Dieting and maintenance are identical. No more "three [excruciating] weeks to a new body!" diet plans. That's a recipe for eventual failure. You need to think long term.

Judith S. Beck, Ph.D., Deborah Beck Busis, The Diet Trap Solution, Train Your Brain to Lose Weight and Keep It Off for Good (Blue book), pg. 38
Old 11-21-2015, 08:56 AM   #124  

S/C/G: 177/177/145

Height: 5'2

hi coaches!
i am feeling unusually good these days mentally, which is great!! sadly it doesn't translate into good eating....i caved and had birthday cake yesterday at work- then sneaked back in for another piece. Definitely got into the craving sugar mode. Frankly my good mental health is more important to me at this point, because i can ultimately work on better eating. Like today! Am starting the day with smoothie.
Onebyone- you sound very energetic and are doing great with your organizing! that's great! I am going to a really nice craft exhibit today so I will think of you as I gaze longingly at the ceramics (I can only buy xmas presents for others though as i have a stricter budget this year)
Maryann- a party for 100, wow am i impressed! that sounds stressful but fun. you have a great attitude as usual. Have fun with the babies.
Bill- your group gym class sounds fun. That's definitely a good way to stay motivated to workout, and to push yourself more too.
Karenrn- have a great time with your guests tomorrow!
Nationalparker-sorry you are having a hard time! Its so hard not to see results. Sending you hugs and strength.
Old 11-21-2015, 09:17 AM   #125  
Green Tomatoes

Today's challenge is a morning meeting where we've been lured in with pastries. The thing is, I don't eat pastries. Here's the relevant response card:

Quote:
I don't eat commercial baked goods. I wish I could but they cause uncomfortable bloating and difficult cravings. I don't want to do that to myself anymore. I deserve better.
Or, a more easily memorized version that I borrowed from silverbirch: Eating commercial baked goods is not part of my lifestyle. I also channeled onebyone when I was making this card -- there's a passable sketch of a muffin with circled with red and a line through it.

The problem is that skipping those pastries makes everything else awkward. I have to eat breakfast earlier than I want when I'm not even hungry for it. And, I'm bound to be very hungry indeed before I make it home for lunch. So, here's a reminder that hunger is not an emergency and a credit for planning a lunch that will come together quickly and has foods that I really enjoy.

Oh, y'all might like the Cuban food photos I put up -- it was easy to eat well there: http://www.joyweesemoll.com/2015/11/...eekendcooking/

WI: -0.05 kg, Exercise: +30 785/1200 minutes for November, Food: 80% op, Read my Advantages and Responses: yes
Old 11-21-2015, 03:21 PM   #126  
Enjoying la bella vita

S/C/G: 28 pounds to go

Height: 5-4

I'm in the midst of defeatist thinking and need to reset. Big day of cleaning amid the snow - they underpredicted for once Usually they say 5" and we get 2". Anyway got up and got to cleaning. Didn't weigh and then realized Oh No, I'll be higher than when I started. Had a larger protein-filled good breakfast instead of a carbfest. But have snacked too much today - a bit of this and that was lunch. My snacks have been sneaked, too. And the coup de gras ... what I call my fat lady snack: piece of white bread with light butter in the microwave until the butter melts. It's 90 calories of CRAP but it called and I gave in. Darn it. That is never an option for me. Except today, apparently. Mad but trying to say credits for raspberries and roasted carrots as part of my snacks that comprised lunch as well. It had no start/end, despite me sitting down for every thing i picked up. I'm going to mentally say this is a "ww week that I skipped weighing so I didn't go off the rails all the way, seeing a high number" ... and will work to get on track for tonight. Soup. At least I've been burning calories all day long.

Editing to add that I semi-rescued the day - dinner was okay but I cannot have another day like this and say I'm on program at ALL. I feel blech. I was cleaning up after dinner and DH was in the attic and I heard a kaBAM and headed to the garage - I look up and his leg is hanging through the ceiling, drywall hanging down and drywall and trim on the floor. WHAT the heck happened? He missed his footing and hit the insulation and drywall only area, not the "walk on" part. It wasn't funny, but it did LOOK funny. I ran in the house to get my heavy soled shoes and went back out there. By then, he'd gotten himself extricated and when I asked if he could just get back in the same position so I could take a picture, he actually grinned. I was kidding but it would have been a funny pic. Our new chandelier had a Merrell hiking boot at the end. HAHA.

Last edited by nationalparker; 11-22-2015 at 08:28 AM. Reason: typo
Old 11-21-2015, 09:42 PM   #127  
persist

S/C/G: 316/307/299

Height: 5' 6"

Question procrastinating and grieving and I don't know what else.

Coaches:

i went to the guild for 8am as planned and cleaned with some other members, as planned, and picked up breakfast, which wasn't planned and then came home, got under covers on the couch and watched some tv with DH. I made chili and have had too many returns for more. Oh yes, at the guild, while cleaning I was surprised the ladies had brought fruit and After Eight chocolates to fortify us at 8am. I did not resist or think of resisting.

I am mopey today. I feel burdened by having to inventory, photograph, and price, all my ceramic work. I should be happy as I have a whole day to do it and not the half day I thought. MIL called and pressured me in her way to come visit. I want to be left alone right now. I am feeling the loss of my brother today. I keep picturing him and getting flashes of the times he gave me something extra special. I think the memories were triggered by the weather and the certain colour of light we have right now with winter creeping up on us. That's my hunch anyway.

Tomorrow I will get on the scale which i didn't do this morning and I will just get back to it once more. For now it's time for bed.

Have a good night everyone.
Old 11-22-2015, 05:20 AM   #128  
Super Moderator

Thumbs up Sunday - RIP JFK (Dallas, 1963)

Diet Coaches/Buddies – Walk, CREDIT moi, included a stop at the hardware store where I discovered Silicone lids that cover bowls and pots for use instead of plastic wrap. Naturally, I wanted one in each size since I use plastic wrap at least once a year. Then I remembered that we have a stretchable thing that looks like a shower cap that we use. So I didn't get to buy it. Oh, Well.

Food was good enough, CREDIT moi. We went to an early evening showing of Spotlight being particularly interested since we were here in Boston as it unraveled in 2002 in the Boston Globe. The entire audience sat through all the credits in stunned silence. It was painful to watch.

onebyone – You are sitting on such success with ample inventory for good sales. Sending supportive thoughts for dealing with your happy memories.

Joy (gardenerjoy) – It's so backward that we make others feel uncomfortable if we choose not to eat meeting pastries - Kudos for thinking that one through. Thanks for the pictures of healthy Cuban food.

nationalparker – Kudos for a rescued day. Ouch for that early snow. Kindly keep it out there - we so don't need it here. LOL at the chandelier with a Merrell hiking boot. I do hope recovery is easy.

curlyjax - Yep, whatever we do has to be within the framework of good mental health. Kudos for starting the day with a smoothie.

Readers -
Quote:

Foundation Strategy #9: Adopt (and adapt) an eating plan you can follow for life.

We don't recommend specific diets because people vary in the foods they consider healthy, appealing, and sustainable. Current research shows that some diets lead to greater weight loss than other diets - but it's usually a matter of eight pounds versus six pounds - a pretty minimal difference. So the best diet is one that's healthy and that you can stick to - and that has a truly sustainable calorie level, given your lifestyle and appetite.

Your eating plan has to provide proper nutrition. Dont' fool yourself into thinking you can eat whatever you want as long as you don't go over a certain calorie count for the day. Some foods (especially protein, fats, and fiber) minimize hunger. Other foods (especially processed carbs and sugar) make you feel hungry much sooner and can lead to cravings. And if you're not eating a balanced diet, you'll run into health problems sooner or later.

Judith S. Beck, Ph.D., Deborah Beck Busis, The Diet Trap Solution, Train Your Brain to Lose Weight and Keep It Off for Good (Blue book), pg. 39
Old 11-22-2015, 08:36 AM   #129  

S/C/G: 177/177/145

Height: 5'2

hi coaches-
i feel pleased with myself that i bought two xmas presents already, and supported some artists while doing it, at the craft fair yesterday. It's such a treat to wander around fairs that have really beautiful stuff.
Eating wasn't great yesterday and this week will be tricky with the holidays, a birthday etc. Need to get planning for healthier eating within the treats.
gardenerjoy- great food pictures! wow, does that food look good.
onebyone-sorry you're feeling low. I know what you mean about the light of winter.
nationparker- yikes on your DH leg! glad he's okay.Snow in November is just wrong!
Bill- thanks for the movie review, it sounds worthwhile.
Old 11-22-2015, 10:30 AM   #130  
Green Tomatoes

The morning meeting went fine and I didn't touch the food -- thanks y'all for being here to witness my process. If I hadn't worked it all out here first, things would have turned out very different.

I got to meet the new great-nephew yesterday on his one-month birthday. I ended up holding him for a couple of hours -- feeding him, playing with him, and rocking him into a nap. My new solution to all the world's woes is that every person over age 14 should hold a baby for at least an hour a week. We'd all be more tender, compassionate, and invested in the future of the world. Plus, new moms would be less frazzled.

WI: -0.25 kg, Exercise: +55 840/1200 minutes for November, Food: 90% op, Read my Advantages and Responses: yes
Old 11-22-2015, 08:41 PM   #131  
Enjoying la bella vita

S/C/G: 28 pounds to go

Height: 5-4

Faced the scale today after a day and a half of mish-mash eating. THREE POUNDS over ticker. Reeling a lot because if I was going to gain weight, I'd want to have eaten fast food french fries for it, not the misc. stuff I ate.

To bed late and up early - put a fire in the grate - it's beautiful, crackling and sets the tone for a pretty Sunday. Snow is still on the ground, and 16 degrees here this morning. Hello, winter, how quickly you arrived. I'm sure you're laughing at me, OneByOne - I am not hardy enough to handle your winters up there!

Bill - I did the same thing with those lids! I despise plastic wrap because I'm the one adult unable to pull off a length and get it onto what I want in fewer than three tries.
CurlyJax - So glad to hear that you're enjoying a positive run here lately. Kudos for the gifts that support the local artisans.
Joy - I have been enjoying your Cuba posts - thank you for sharing!

Finished the day with too many snacks. Nothing high calorie or indulgent but still, too many is too many. Dinner came together quickly - I'm trying to prep things that are different than we'll be eating on the weekend, so this evening it was sweet turkey italian sausage medallions with lots of sweet onions sauteed with them, and side of parmesan rotini. Lunch was large salads with parmesan flatbread crisps with the thin pizza crust singles. Parm weekend.
Old 11-23-2015, 12:09 AM   #132  
persist

Talking Check-in

Coaches

Almost in bed. I am here to say I had a great onplan food day. Also, I have inventoried $3198.00 worth of ceramic objects (92 so far). I'll do more in the morning.

Tomorrow I drop stuff off at the guild and then happily drive to my studio to make prints as soon as I make enough room to work in. Win-win day all around. Abundant credits all around.

Last edited by onebyone; 11-23-2015 at 12:10 AM.
Old 11-23-2015, 05:36 AM   #133  
Super Moderator

Thumbs up Monday - Lucy discovered (Australopithecus afarensis, 3.2MBCE)

Diet Coaches/Buddies – A drizzly day made us substitute a visit to Boston's Museum of Fine Arts for our planned walk. So call it a cultural experience day, CREDIT moi. The Dutch lived well in the seventeenth century. It was special to see the Rembrandts up close.

Food was OK. I decided to make a cake to use my Black Walnuts that I could serve to our Thanksgiving guests. Got a Pillsbury Cranberry cake mix box to which I added a half cup of the walnuts. It allowed the strong taste to be distributed. It was good enough. Its problem is that it's still a cake and cake isn't normally on my food plan.

onebyone – 92 Kudos for getting your ceramics inventoried. You sound ready.

Joy (gardenerjoy) – Just love your idea that holding babies can lead to a peaceful world.

nationalparker – 16 degrees is just too cold for this time of year. Neat to have an indoor fire.

curlyjax - Yay for supporting the local artists.

Readers -
Quote:

Foundation Strategy #9: Adopt (and adapt) an eating plan you can follow for life.

Most of our dieters tend to increase the amount of lean protein, whole grains, fruits, and vegetables they eat and make sure to eat a moderate amount of healthy fat. That's what keeps them full and satisfied. They also tend to reduce their intake of processed food and carbs and caloric beverages. But they don't entirely eliminate any food.

And here's an important caveat: you may need to tweak the eating plan you choose if it doesn't include your favorite foods. If you love bread, we know you're going to end up eating bread again at some point in your life - and we want you to! There's no reason to eliminate it, now or ever. You just need to learn the skills, presented in this chapter and throughout the book, to limit your consumption of certain foods.

Judith S. Beck, Ph.D., Deborah Beck Busis, The Diet Trap Solution, Train Your Brain to Lose Weight and Keep It Off for Good (Blue book), pg. 39
Old 11-23-2015, 08:21 AM   #134  

S/C/G: ?/136/125

Height: 5'5"

Good morning coaches,

It's Monday again, my favorite day to restart my program. Not restart exactly but just to be a little more diligent. Weekend eating was probably a little more than it should have been with 2 drinks each night. My brother and sister in law arrived Saturday. Yesterday we went on a hike and my sister in law and I also attended a concert at our church that was very good; the Scottsdale Philharmonic Orchestra with a solo by our music director. He has a fabulous voice.

Today they will be gone for the day and I will go for my 10 mile loop hike. It's a good calorie burner and the weather will be great. I have several audiobooks to choose from downloaded to my phone. Our library has a pretty good selection so I can usually find something I like. Plus, I'm not all that particular as long as it entertains me as I move along.

Bill I'm sure the art was fabulous. I love looking at the older paintings with the beautiful clothing and lots of food.

Onebyone Glad you had a great day and what a lot of pieces you have in your inventory.

Nationalparker The fire in the fireplace sounds lovely, the temperatures do not. I don't even have enough clothing for those temperatures. Maybe for about a day and then I'd run out. Hoping the increase on the scale is just water and soon is gone.

Curlyjax It's so good to hear you are in good spirits. That is so important. The food stuff can always come together, but it's so hard when we are struggling emotionally.

Gardenerjoy I also enjoyed the photos of the Cuban food. Your description of how holding a baby would help the world sounds absolutely true. I'm glad you got to meet the new baby. Many years ago I rocked babies at Children's Hospital in Seattle and loved it.

Maryann I can't imagine hosting 100 people. Can't wait to hear how the party went. The samosas sound wonderful. I love Indian food so much that I keep thinking I'd love to go to India just to get my belly full of it.

My goal this week is to be really careful with the calories, including Thanksgiving. I also plan to get exercise every day. I'm making a German chocolate cake for Friday and I want a decent sized piece. I'll report how it goes.

Good luck to each of us as the holidays begin.
Old 11-23-2015, 08:27 AM   #135  
persist

Smile

Coaches

Good Morning.

I just wanted to pop by and say hello before I get back int work again.

I'm thrilled this morning as I hopped on the scale and it said 268. I haven't been into the 260's for a few month so HELLO 260'S! I reached my lowest weight this year twice which was 267. Perhaps I can close the year under 265. Wouldn't that be a positive way to head into 2016. I think so.

What I am grateful for is the DESIRE to eat raw vegetables. It's a choice that is making a difference. Seems so simple, and some days, like these last few, it is simple. And some other days, like a lot of this past year, it was the furthest thing from my mind. May this mindset last.

FYI I came across this article:
http://qz.com/550527/obesity-paradox...r-your-health/

I believe this is true and I see the risks of being too thin manifesting themselves in MIL. She hovers close to 100 lbs and it's been a factor in her potential treatment and in their assessment of how she will fare once she needs chemo. Her body has no resources to draw on. She loves being super thin though but now wishes she could gain weight and is working with a nutritionist. DH says "eat carbs" which I suppose is as annoying to her as "eat vegetables/push away from the table/put your fork down" is to us.

Also came across this image BBE and maryann of The Black Walnut, an Ottawa area bakery. Can the gentrification of the black walnut be happening right now??

Must go! Have a good day everyone reading this!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Bazaar.jpg (45.0 KB, 8 views)
Closed Thread