Beck Diet Solution A step-by-step program to learn specific techniques to stay on our diet, lose weight, and maintain our weight loss for life.

Closed Thread

Old 11-18-2015, 07:58 AM   #106  

S/C/G: ?/136/125

Height: 5'5"

Good morning coaches,

Credit for both food on plan and good exercise yesterday. Also no beer. It helps to attend a meeting in the evening and I have one tonight as well. The biggest news is the breeder called our vet yesterday and we are approved to get a puppy. Crazy huh? When I was young they were in the newspaper for $5 and no application or references. At least we didn't need a home visit first. We sent out deposit and will get a puppy next fall. It's wonderful to look forward to and I already checked out puppy training books from the library. The last time we had a puppy was 1998. We are probably nuts.

The grief meeting at the church was good. No real new information, but one of those things where it is good to remember those things that may help during the holiday season. Mostly women, many of whom had recently lost their husbands. Some of them are younger than I am. Feeling grateful for what I have for sure.

Curlyjax Darn it's tough to have tempting things in the house. I hope the candy is gone now. Oh well, it's behind you now.

Bill That meatloaf sandwich sounds nummy. I think it's about time for me to make meatloaf.

Nationalparker Never give up! This weight loss journey is not an easy one, but it's better than just giving in. Wouldn't it be nice to get the fast weight loss that used to happen when we were young? I think I probably about starved myself back then to get those losses and I'm not willing to do that now. Hoping you get some good results soon!
Old 11-18-2015, 08:33 AM   #107  
persist

S/C/G: 316/307/299

Height: 5' 6"

Default more. stuff.

Coaches

I am posting before my morning gets away from me again. I tried my very best to complete my work in the ceramic room yesterday so I could have a break, but no. I have to stop off there once more this morning. I may have only two days away from it before I need to go back as "studio conversion" for our sale begins on Saturday.

Once I am done there I am off to my own studio and it's clean up time. I have to remove things and make it a workable space again. It's been little more than a storage space all summer while it housed all my stuff for the farmers' market weekend sales. I can put that away now until May.

Foodwise my first order of business is to make that go-to list for grocery shopping when I need to get something to bring home with me for supper. I had DH rattle off some food he'd buy so I can know what he would want. This is hard won information from DH and I'm not sure why. But, yes, plans are being made. I have not reduced my unnecessary excess carb intake perfectly but it is now restricted to only one meal a day which is progress. *credit* as is coming here to post *credit* and being willing to make a plan *credit* I feel back on track and moving forward with things once more.

BillBlueEyes Dickens would not get published today. You're right. I love Dickens. Here's how it would work today though: http://www.rinkworks.com/bookaminute...ns.carol.shtml

curlyjax
Major Kudos for rejecting work cupcakes after indulging in sugar. I find it very very very hard to stop once started. Excellent resistance muscle flexing there.

karenrn A puppy IS a reason to feel happy! I look forward to your puppy with you! I am proud of you for going to the grief meeting. It is always better to know that you are not alone. It's part of the reason we all come here I think. To help and assist each other. Credit for food and exercise on plan yesterday as well.

Have a great day everyone.

Last edited by onebyone; 11-18-2015 at 08:42 AM.
Old 11-18-2015, 09:57 AM   #108  
Green Tomatoes

Height: 5'9"

It's morning and I'm here! CREDIT!

Yesterday's eating was far from perfect, but a big jump on the scale was unexpected. I'm going to assume that's sodium or something and not worry about it or let it effect my motivation.

WI: +1.05 kg, Exercise: +40 680/1200 minutes for November, Food: 70% op, Read my Advantages and Responses: yes

BillBlueEyes: I'm looking at self-publishing for some nonfiction. The author makes more money per book and doesn't have to deal with the narrow views of the publishing industry about what people want to read.

onebyone: I've been working on faster supper ideas. They've turned out lighter, too. DH doesn't complain too much as long as there are at least three to cycle through. Usually, I can spend longer the other four nights of the week. But, if I have to repeat one of the three, that's no big deal either.

nationalparker: I walked my way through plantar fasciitis. It seems counter-intuitive, but after half a mile or so, it actually felt better. It did last many months but since I wasn't letting it effect my activities, I found it less annoying.

karenrn
: good for you for making it to the grief meeting and being part of the mutual support.
Old 11-18-2015, 01:26 PM   #109  
Enjoying la bella vita

S/C/G: 28 pounds to go

Height: 5-4

Credit for sticking to plan yesterday - I've stopped counting but looked back and I'm on Day 18. Forty-three days left in 2015. It's wrapping up. Still would like to be working toward being under 170 but ... yikes. Weight 174.4 today but it's bouncing around each day. Cherry smoothie for breakfast (w/o spinach) and a bean-filled lunch. DH is working nights, so he won't be affected by any post-bean action. Just me and the pets and I'll blame the dog. Ate a larger lunch than I typically do on a workday today and will see if that affects my desire to eat extra in the evenings. I'll be busy this evening as well, so that's good. Personals from home - there might be back-to-back posts from me but checking in before bed will help me be able to say I stayed on track.
Old 11-18-2015, 10:37 PM   #110  
Enjoying la bella vita

Stopped off at Kohls on the way home from work to start shopping for a Christmas family adoption. I'm out of the loop on pre-teen sizing. A girl who is 10 wears a 9 shoe. I had to come home to google it to see if that was 9 women's or is 9 a kids' size... I was planning to buy myself a shaper and after grumbling that they weren't on any sale, I just sucked it up and tried some on, bruising my body, literally, trying on until I found one that worked. I came home and tried on three dresses that weren't flattering at all before, and they all moved back into the wearable section now.

Ate the most non-nutritious dinner I've had in a long while - just mashed potatoes. Added a bit of cheddar and it's my ultimate comfort meal. Not sure why I turned to it tonight. I'm FULL now and caught myself walking into the kitchen to look for a sweet bite. NO choice. Nope.

Have to prep my lunch for tomorrow so I don't talk myself into a lunch on the run.

Joy - I am going to write down your line about not letting the scale uptick get into your head. Credit!! I realized I've had this pain much lesser for a few years, it seems, and just walked and hiked through it on trips, trying different footwear. Now it's causing me to limp and it just isn't "working itself out" like it did before. I need to grow up and handle it instead of ignore it now. But another day has passed with me just stretching and that's it.

OneByOne - Good idea to make a list of the quick go-to meal ideas. I have the same thing - some are as simple as homemade pancakes and turkey breakfast sausage and scrambled eggs (or a combo thereof), pierogies with spicy turkey sausage and peppers/onions. Things I can throw together super quickly and aren't things we eat too much of.

Karen - Yay on the new pup to come - you are VERY PATIENT. I could not wait until next fall. At all Enjoy the company! Sounds like you have a very welcoming home.

CurlyJax - I'd not heard of the boot, but you have me looking it up. Thank You! I got to thinking when you said you weren't yet to the point where the sugar was disgusting. I never reached the point where I found food with fat disgusting. I like fresh bread dipped in infused olive oil ... I like crispy onion rings (but only have them a couple of times a year, if that), etc. I doubt that will ever be repugnant to me

Bill - Smiling at your stretching the meatloaf into two sandwiches! Well played! I made turkey meatloaf a couple of days ago and DH keeps asking if we have good bread. Nope. As soon as I pick some up, he'll finish it off with a good sandwich, I'm sure. I over-onioned mine, trying to get extra veggies in it. It looks a bit odd as there are SO MANY in there. Oops.

First snow of the season is in the forecast for this weekend - I'm expecting it to disappear from the weather outlooks before then. They get so excited to predict anything "bad" ... or it'll be just flurries. We have the holiday marketing to get done this weekend, no matter what. I was thinking of adding pizzelles to the dessert options, but then realized, it's ONLY four people. I don't need a few pies and toll house cookies and pizzelles. No. Maybe just this.

Last edited by nationalparker; 11-18-2015 at 10:47 PM.
Old 11-19-2015, 05:49 AM   #111  
Super Moderator

S/C/G: 239/173/165

Thumbs up Thursday - Lincoln's Gettysburg Address (1863)

Diet Coaches/Buddies – Did a group workout at gym with a trainer, CREDIT moi. I was glad to get myself back to this group because I work longer with a leader. She's very encouraging . . . and persistent. For one portion she has us using the treadmill at its full 15 degree incline. That does make it harder.

The only good thing about eating was that I skipped a major portion of dinner to compensate for afternoon snacking. I had to write some stuff and I can't seem to shake the notion that snacks solve the blank page syndrome. After my evening event I walked home in the dark savoring both the cold and the dark.

onebyone – You so remind me that creating art is a physical activity. Kudos for "plans are being made." [LOL at your condensed Dickens - thanks.]

Joy (gardenerjoy) – Kudos for equanimity in the face of scale jiggle.

nationalparker – 18 Kudos for eighteen days on plan. Ouch for the pain of buying clothes. Love the ideas in your link for healthy dessert options.

Karen (karenrn) - Congrats for taking the steps to get your puppy for next fall. My memory of puppies is that they have very sharp teeth.

curlyjax - Think I'll try to remember that candy is disgusting next time I'm confronted.

Readers -
Quote:
Chapter 2 Foundation Strategies to Escape Your Traps

Foundation Strategy #8: Eat according to a schedule.

Here's what to do. First, focus on planning when you're going to eat, not what you're going to eat. (That's the next foundation strategy.) There's no magic schedule. Experiment to find what works best for you. Maybe you'll do well with breakfast, snack, lunch, snack, dinner, snack. Some dieters prefer just three meals a day, with no snacks. Others like having three meals plus two snacks after dinner. Remember, the best schedule is the one you can successfully maintain. You can give yourself a range (of up to two hours) for each meal and snack. Here is the schedule that suited Jessica best
Breakfast between 7:30 and 8:30

Lunch between 12:00 and 2:00

Afternoon snack between 3:00 and 4:30

Dinner between 5:30 and 7:30

Dessert between 8:00 and 9:30
Judith S. Beck, Ph.D., Deborah Beck Busis, The Diet Trap Solution, Train Your Brain to Lose Weight and Keep It Off for Good (Blue book), pg. 37
Old 11-19-2015, 09:00 AM   #112  

S/C/G: ?/136/125

Height: 5'5"

Good morning coaches,

Food within plan and no beers yesterday, credit. Hiked for exercise, credit. Read cards this morning, credit.

Attended a meeting with my volunteer group last night, McDowell Sonoran Conservancy. Being away from home in the evening eliminates any thoughts of beer or snacks since I pretty much say "No Choice" to snacks at meetings. I have always thought I hated to go out in the evening, but found I actually kind of enjoy it. I've been out three of the last four evenings.

Bill Yes, the treadmill at a 15% incline is really a workout. I'm sure it really burns the calories too. My trainer used to have me do that with my HR monitor on and then once my HR was up to 165 for a bit, step off on the side and let it come down a bit and then back on. Something about the HR going up and down.

Nationalparker Glad you found a shaper that increases your clothing options. I would bet it would even help with portion size of meals when you have the darn thing on. Kind of like tight jeans. Part of the reason we are waiting so long on a new puppy is that I will be gone for 6 weeks next Fall. I don't want a puppy to be home too many hours alone and I don't want dh to have the full responsibility for that long either. In the meantime I have lots of other things I need to work on in my life.

Gardenerjoy I hate those unexpected jumps on the scale. Good for you for not letting it effect your motivation.

Onebyone Good idea to have a go to list of quick supper options. It is almost always my undoing if we go out to eat simply because there was nothing available at home.

Well I guess I had better get moving and start thinking about my trip to the Y for my class.

Have a good day everybody!
Old 11-19-2015, 09:21 AM   #113  
Green Tomatoes

CREDIT for making it here two mornings in a row.

I didn't sleep well last night -- first time in weeks. I thought I had that problem licked! I think the missing piece might be simply water -- I seem dehydrated this morning.
WI: -0.4 kg, Exercise: +45 725/1200 minutes for November, Food: 90% op, Read my Advantages and Responses: yes

karenrn: I've also discovered that evening meetings work better for me than I thought. I've been going to 2 to 4 each week since we returned from Cuba and I seem to be surviving just fine. It means early, faster, often lighter, suppers and fewer DVDs watched during the week.
Old 11-19-2015, 06:13 PM   #114  
persist

Default I got nothing

Coaches

Just a hello from me. I've whiled the whole day away in my house cost. Now I will get some kitchen work done while I make us dinner,

It was great to be still today.

I sorted out where to put the large chair in my studio with my studio landlord yesterday. I also made sure I got the OK to do what ever I need to do with the chair from the friend who gave it to me.that was weighing on me as I might get rid of it. She's OK since it's mine now. DH says we can drive the stuff I can store in the not-so-weatherproof shed at the MIL's this weekend so this is also progress. I will need another heater if I am really going to work there through the winter months. Does anyone have any recommendations for a good indoor heater?

Foodwise I have supper planned and am heading to the kitchen.now to make it. I had a terrible bread and pasta craving mid afternoon. I didn't make that *credit* but I did eat rice crackers with avocado hummus. That and a banana were my carby indulgences. Not bad. * credit*

Forgot to add I didn't get to WW for weighing today. My scale gave me 271.6 a loss of 2.2lbs from last week. I remain in my new normal range of 269-273.
For today this is fine. *credit for inner peace*

Must go.
Have a good night everyone.

Last edited by onebyone; 11-19-2015 at 06:16 PM.
Old 11-19-2015, 09:32 PM   #115  

S/C/G: 173/181/ 165

Height: 5'6

Default Phone check in

I caught up with page 7 of posts. Tomorrow I'll read page 8.

Two things popped out at me.

Nationalparker: I had that morning today when the scale didn't budge despite tremendous resistance flexing for several days. Impossible. Just like you said. Impossible to work this hard to not gain. I tried to think of people who "just do it" like those who lose a limb and compete in the Olympics. Or those who decide each day to be kind when they have only been shown hate. I think of people I judge saying " If they would only just . . " Somebody could say That to me. Fundamental change takes intention everyday, no vacation. The rewards are great. So I say the cosmic "Oh Well" and refocus.

BBE: we don't even harvest the black walnuts that line the orchard filled with Hartleys and Chandlers. There is no market.

Last edited by maryann; 11-19-2015 at 09:34 PM.
Old 11-20-2015, 07:00 AM   #116  
Super Moderator

S/C/G: 239/173/165

Thumbs up Friday - Elizabeth marries Phillip (Westminster Abbey, 1947)

Diet Coaches/Buddies – Walked, CREDIT moi, to class and back where DD and GDD joined us for lunch. I became the designated holder of our 8 week old GDD who was fighting dropping off to sleep. I learned that eating soup with the left hand while holding a kid is a challenge - one that every mother on planet earth already knows. Later walk to the library picked up Kafka's short story, In the Penal Colony to see if the story was as weird as portrayed in the opera. So far, Yes.

Eating was only OKish. I'm still working the snack issue.

onebyone – Kudos for progress organizing your studio. I'm fond of the Infrared heaters that can be pointed directly at me for the feeling of warmth even while the space remains the same - like this Amazon Infrared.

Joy (gardenerjoy) – Ouch for disruption of sleep - one of life's serious requirements.

maryann - Thanks for "Fundamental change takes intention every day, no vacation." [Both DW and DD have tasted and scorned my Black Walnut pieces. Apparently it's an acquired taste - no wonder there's no market.]

Karen (karenrn) - Kudos for this plan, "I pretty much say 'No Choice' to snacks at meetings."

Readers -
Quote:
Chapter 2 Foundation Strategies to Escape Your Traps

Foundation Strategy #8: Eat according to a schedule.

Eating according to a schedule
  • Reduces the struggle over eating. No more asking, "Should I eat this? Shouldn't I?" If it's not time to eat, you don't eat.

• Eliminates spontaneous eating. Making impulsive decision about when to eat has probably been a downfall in the past. Once you master eating according to a schedule, you'll find that it's much easier to stay on plan.
Judith S. Beck, Ph.D., Deborah Beck Busis, The Diet Trap Solution, Train Your Brain to Lose Weight and Keep It Off for Good (Blue book), pg. 38
Old 11-20-2015, 07:27 AM   #117  

S/C/G: 177/177/145

Height: 5'2

Hi coaches- quick post. I keep being late to work so I mustn't dally.
Woke up hungry so i figured that was a good sign.
i took a long walk Weds and now my leg is aching again,sigh. I will try another regimen of tylenol for a few days but I can't keep doing that. Frustrating when it comes and goes, you can't really go to the doctor, and again I think the stretching is making it worse.
Anyhow- hope the weather is decent where you all are, and wishing you strength in your food decisions today!
Awww for 8 week GDD Bill!
Old 11-20-2015, 08:53 AM   #118  
persist

Thumbs up my plan for today

Coaches

Good morning to you all.

My plan center around clean up and organization again today. I have finally begun down that road. DH wondered what person what alien force had inhabited my body and surely his SO had not just cleared the table off and done dishes?? Yes, my sweet, t'was I.

So today I head back over to the potters' guild and pack and remove the rest of the new ceramic work that was recently fired. I have a couple of boxes worth to pack up. I also need to remove all my tool and glazing materials. Another few boxes. Everyone does this because we convert the studio into a sales venue and we need all the shelves. My friend and I have been very prolific all year. I'll start photographing my ceramic work, listing and pricing them for the sale. We have some great pieces for the sale. I hope to make a record amount of $ with my ceramics. I hope to pay off a credit card debt if possible.

Also today more dishes will be done and I want to clear out the stuff from under the kitchen table as well as the stuff on the chaise. And beside the chaise. It's all boxes of ceramics so it'll happen.

That's it. I plan to stay on plan today as well.

curlyjax I feel your frustration re: using your leg and then it hurts. Rats. Hate that! I get very annoyed when my body acts up. I hope it just simply stops hurting.

Billblueeyes GDD. You'll be a fabulous grandad. What name do you want to be called? Gramps? I was happy reading that you were reading Kafka. I think I am going to go find that short story and read it today. Thanks for that.

maryann It struck me when I read your comment about black walnuts not even being harvested and then BBE's love of the black walnut and his kids not caring for them that this is the perfect artisinal food! Common yet uncommon. Local. Acquired taste. Distinctive flavour. I bet they could become the next Big Thing. You just need to find a high end chef to use it in a signature dish. And yes you are so right that real change is practice over time. It's good to be reminded that change happens slowly and with deliberation. Thanks for posting.

off to begin the day.
Old 11-20-2015, 09:48 AM   #119  
Enjoying la bella vita

I'm going to take Bill's descriptor that "eating was only OK-ish" yesterday. I was so disappointed in myself. Then stepped back and thought, one day out of every 10 or so isn't going to win me any awards, but neither does it make me a failure. Breakfast and dinner were fine. Lunch was not nutritious nor light and while I never eat before bed, we'd stopped at the market after an errand and picked up five things, among them a box of cereal and the idea of a cup of that dry, lured me in. An extra 170 calories or so for the cup won't kill me but I didn't need to top off the day. Dinner was HIGH in sodium, though it was prepared at home from Trader Joe's frozen stuff.

Today - onward and forward. I just dread weighing in tomorrow to a return to where I was when I started and I doubt it'd be anything but if I'm being honest. I'm debating taking the afternoon off and getting a lot done at home before the rain/snow comes tomorrow. Not a LOT but it'll make time cleaning out pots, marketing, etc. a mess. Down to 19 degrees tomorrow night, so I need to get the soil out of my Italian terracotta planters that we brought back from Italy decades ago before they crack. I would mourn that loss.

Donut Friday today. I haven't checked the box out but the siren song is calling in rare fashion. Not sure why. Defeatist attitude, perhaps. Karen, I'm trying to wrangle up the "it's worth it" thoughts today.
Old 11-20-2015, 10:46 AM   #120  
Green Tomatoes

CREDIT for a third morning post in a row, even though today is going to be an odd one. We're rushing out to the cabin to make sure it's winterized. We didn't stay there all summer, so it should be winterized from last year. Obviously, we need to sell the thing and that's probably our other chore for today -- make the list of what needs to be done to get it on the market in the spring.

I drank more water, slept better, and got a nice drop on the scale. It's nice when taking care of myself gets the results I hope for.

WI: -0.45 kg, Exercise: +30 755/1200 minutes for November, Food: 90% op, Read my Advantages and Responses: yes

nationalparker: I had to roam Trader Joe's for quite some time to come up with a meal that wasn't high sodium. And, it took a couple of tries to get one that we liked. But we're having a TJ's meal once or twice a week now, starting with eggplant cutlets (frozen, lightly-breaded, eggplant slices) and no-salt-added marinara. I add a can of tomatoes to the marinara (coarsely chopping the tomatoes first) from our pantry and let that simmer down while the cutlets bake. When everything's hot, I put the cutlets on a plate, top with the marinara, and grate fresh Parmesan cheese on top. It makes a nice vegetarian meal that comes together pretty quickly. I'd never make it without the help -- breading things always seems like much more effort and mess than it's worth.
Closed Thread