Beck Diet Solution A step-by-step program to learn specific techniques to stay on our diet, lose weight, and maintain our weight loss for life.

Closed Thread

Old 11-08-2015, 09:07 AM   #46  

S/C/G: 163/163/145

Height: 5'2

hi coaches- we spent a pleasant day recovering from the party and lounging around. It was so great to see DD so happy as she is often not.
The sheet cake is sitting right on the kitchen table and is wayyy too tempting for all of us. Its down to about a little over a 9 by 13 size, so at least it should be gone soon. DH and I had a nice healthy dinner of baked cod with vegetables, quinoa and roast cabbage- I really needed something light!
My hip and leg is still bothering me so that is curtailing exercise. I will let it go a bit longer and then get it checked out if it doesn't stop.
Today is about catching up with household things, groceries etc. Nice to have no major obligations!!
Bill- I have heard that some orchards are letting folks pick apples free now, I guess so they don't go to waste. A nice November bonus!
love2garden- that's great you live so close to the gym, that definitely helps in getting there.
Maryann- hope the concert goes well. I learned a new word-adjudication!
Karenrn- your step counting techno sounds cool!
Nationalparker-Or at least just keep working my resistance muscle hard. A good sentiment! I need to remember that is important no matter what.
Suzlen- thinking of you and wondering if the wedding happened yet- can't wait to hear the details!

Last edited by curlyjax; 11-08-2015 at 09:08 AM.
Old 11-08-2015, 11:00 AM   #47  
Enjoying la bella vita

S/C/G: high water mark/working on it

Height: 5-4

Had a higher calorie day yesterday - but all healthy things and not a major splurge. Felt okay about it after starting to stress. Actually my thoughts were, "can I not have a low cal day when I'm home all day?" Then realized, I WAS hungry when I was eating, what I was eating was good, real food, and I'm typically hungry in this part of my cycle, and accept it.

This morning was at 174.2. Knew that yesterday was a "false" high, and didn't want to set this week's goal at 174 if I that meant that I kinda just "coasted" and gave myself extra wiggle room. So setting next weekend's goal at 173 or lower so that cuts the "well, I can slide this in" mentality.

Want to prep some work outfit ideas for this week (thank you Maryann) so I'm not standing there every morning. Need to actually check the forecast. Today I have the marketing to do at a couple of places, but will skip Trader Joe's and go there tomorrow night and take our pooch and might plan on a Panera salad for dinner since they're next door to each other. Have a lot to get this weekend - mostly the oddball things you rarely buy. Few items are for the week's menu. I'd better head out early so I don't miss the Colts/Broncos game. Hard one.

Was 56 degrees inside the house today and finally kicked the heat on and now have it off that it's a respectable 65 degrees in here. I HATE being cold but hate even more paying the astronomical gas bills. When I first moved into the house, the first winter bill was $475 and I hit the ceiling, called the company, got on their payment plan, and add a lot of layers. It wasn't even WARM in here. Slab house, DH always says. Nice and cool in summer and cool in winter, too. That isn't in relation to anything except me wanting to put the oven on and BAKE. NO CHOICE today. Unless I brought it all in to my work tomorrow. Hm. I don't know that I can withstand the temptation alone tonight, though.

Goal - check in tonight here (sorry for two posting in a day) with personals to reinforce staying on track.

A quick Hi to Joy - Hope you're doing well! I enjoyed your Palacio de Valle photos on your blog. Especially the entrance post face. I would have been proud to sculpt that as a major achievement in my life, not just one entrance post face
Old 11-08-2015, 11:50 AM   #48  
Green Tomatoes

Height: 5'9"

Thanks, nationalparker! I'm still here and reading and kinda eating like I have a plan. I'm ready to commit this week to these three things every day for the rest of the month: post on 3FC, weigh, make a food plan.

As nationalparker noted, I got some more Cuba photos up yesterday: http://www.joyweesemoll.com/2015/11/...urdaysnapshot/
Old 11-08-2015, 10:08 PM   #49  
Enjoying la bella vita

Did it! Despite doing a good bit of cooking, I made it through the day without going off plan. Credit! Have written my dinner menu plan and can revolve my other meals around that. Baked some mexican chicken meatballs with green chilis, cayenne, etc. They sounded better than they turned out, I think. Not BAD just different.

Bill - Your hike sounds wonderful! The leaves must be just gorgeous as well. Ours are still in the blazes of autumn, despite some wind/rain earlier this week.

OneByOne - Hope your week gets off to a grand start! Take care of you despite all the work you're undertaking!

CurlyJax - Hope you were able to bypass that cake sitting there temping you ... And in plain sight, I would have struggled a great deal and awarded it way more importance than it should have in my Sunday. I've found several of that author's lines running through my mind - it's just one meal. It doesn't have to be a masterpiece. I'm eating for Sunday, not worrying about yesterday or planning for tomorrow. I'm eating healthy for today.
Old 11-09-2015, 12:11 AM   #50  
persist

S/C/G: 298/284/159

Height: 5' 6"

Exclamation Sunday in the suburbs

Hi Coaches

Phone check-in. Didn't realize it's been days since I've been here. I have wrapped up several events and look forward to a calmer week ahead. Only one more marathon ceramic day. Then a few days off until everything comes out of the bisque kiln and I need to get my stuff glazed.

Today I spent the day drawing onto the surface of bone-dry clay mugs, vases, plates.and.pendants. it took all day. I have a ridiculously low step count:778. Wow. I hardly moved. Overnight I'll get 100-140 just getting up to feed Caesar the cat!

Last week DH and I went to the first of 6 astronomy classes at our local observatory. Yes we have the David Dunlap Observatory down the street from us. I loved being in the old classroom. Astronomy freaks me out though. Already the class made my head spin. I learned why the sky is blue. I also learned I didn't really want to know why. And the idea that Polaris, the north star, never moves just made no sense to me as everything in the night sky moves. Turns out it's due to our perspective. In 30,000 yrs it won't be north anymore. Wish I could live to see that. Imagine.

Food isn't going well. I'm not trying. I bought ice cream sandwiches and ate 3 or 4 today. We had chips yesterday. I did cook from scratch (credit) but I feel puffy and ick. I had my picture taken on Friday for the award I won for my painting. I had to leave my camera with someone while I received it and they snapped me and gee. I look awful. So puffy. So round. Very little definition to me. I was thinking I looked better but I don't. I feel discouraged. But it's a temporary state. I don't like feeling this way as it is not helpful in any way. I need an official restart I think.

Have a good night.
Old 11-09-2015, 07:41 AM   #51  
Super Moderator

S/C/G: 239/173/165

Thumbs up Monday - 13 Hour power outage (NE U.S. & Canada, 1965)

Diet Coaches/Buddies Standard Sunday walk, CREDIT moi, picking up the cardboard version of Runaway Bunny from the local micro-library. It's one of my favorite children's books.

Morning snack was large enough to declare it part of lunch. Shifting food does help prevent over eating, but sticking completely to my plan would be better.

onebyone It's fun that we're both taking an astronomy class right now. LOL at waiting around to see the earth's spin axis drift away from Polaris.

Joy (gardenerjoy) Thanks for the link to the Cuban photos. You're getting me fired up to get there.

nationalparker Ouch for the reality of needing the heat turned on. Neat to read, "I was eating good, real food."

curlyjax - Hope that sheet cake disappears; I find that kind of thing difficult to ignore when sitting in the kitchen.

Readers -
Quote:
Chapter 2 Foundation Strategies to Escape Your Traps

Foundation Strategy #7: Manage hunger and cravings. If you have been trying to be careful with your eating as you were mastering the first six skills, you have probably experienced hunger and cravings. If you gave in and ate more than you should have, don't beat yourself up! You haven't yet learned all the skills you need.

Judith S. Beck, Ph.D., Deborah Beck Busis, The Diet Trap Solution, Train Your Brain to Lose Weight and Keep It Off for Good (Blue book), pg. 35
Old 11-09-2015, 09:30 AM   #52  

S/C/G: ?/137/125

Height: 5'5"

Good morning coaches,

Food on plan yesterday and a very nice hike with dh, credit. We hiked to Tom's Thumb and to a lookout a little further. He really enjoyed the hike because the trail was not rocky like it is in the more southern part of the preserve. It's a great training hike with good elevation gain, so we'll just keep with that trail and extend as needed. He is strong as an ox and didn't have any discomfort afterwards, so that's super. I won the Garmin step challenge I was in last week with 118,000+ steps. I guess I am a bit competitive.

Nationalparker Good for you for staying on plan. May this be just the start of many weeks and more success. I'm hoping for a good whoosh for you too.

Joy I too am enjoying your Cuba photos.

Curlyjax My post crossed with yours on Saturday. I was so glad to hear the party was a success. I hope that darn sheet cake has disappeared by now. I am a wimp with any temptation in the house, embarrassingly so.

Bill I see those little tiny dogs out hiking too. Honestly I took my guy out once. He got a burr in his foot and got so dirty, never again. Just neighborhood walks on the greenbelt. I'm enjoying watching Cocker Spaniel videos. Who knows how we'll feel in a year, but for now we still miss our guy horribly. Glad we're happily married, it would be torture to be lonesome for the dog and not crazy about the husband.

Love2garden I hear you about being careful with the body parts when strength training. I have to be very careful with shoulders. I modify the exercises as needed and know doing something is so much better than doing nothing.

Waving to Maryann and Onebyone. Let's all have a great week!
Old 11-09-2015, 09:53 AM   #53  
persist

S/C/G: 298/284/159

Height: 5' 6"

Thumbs up as someone here once said, "do that thing that works"

Coaches

Someone here once wrote do more of that thing that works and less of the stuff that doesn't, or something like that. The simplicity of this is right on the button.

Here are a few of the things that do work:

-read this forum in the morning,usually the first thing I read when I have coffee. credit, done.

-post to the forum. credit, done.

-remind myself I want to lose weight, not coast = I MUST TRY credit, done.

-eat breakfast before I leave credit, done.

-plan supper credit, done.

So it's the in between breakfast and supper part that throws me. I need to make sure that today I get some lunch. Today I will bring lunch or buy lunch, but I will do it before I get to the guild and begin my marathon work day. credit, done.

I'll check in later because that is also one of the things that work/help me stay/get on track.

Enjoy your day!
Old 11-09-2015, 10:27 AM   #54  
Green Tomatoes

I stupidly allowed myself to get in a Day-before-Diet mood yesterday. It's much better if I commit to a healthy lifestyle right now. Which I'm doing. Right now. In the words of onebyone, this is my official restart. And, just saying that makes me feel happier and more determined.

Credit for weighing, posting, and making a food plan for the day that I have confidence that I can follow.

WI: +1.65 kg, Exercise: +40 110/1200 minutes for November, Food: NA op, Read my Advantages and Responses: yes
Old 11-09-2015, 01:12 PM   #55  

S/C/G: 173/162/ 154

Height: 5'6

Default Good Morning, Coaches.

Wonderful Sunday with just the boys at home. DS finished the book The Martians and as a treat we all went to the movies. My little family needed that kind of day. Silliness, homemade bread and BLTs church and of course Sunday night Columbo while DS practiced his yoyo resurrected from a toy box. I need a new advantage card though. Having a wonderful day with family will not be harmed by staying OP. I gave food plan a pass with movie popcorn and treats. Scale up two pounds this morning.
Back to gym today and I feel happy. I am trying to recognize what makes me happy. Listening to The Happiness Project. Not groundbreaking but filled with good reminders which force me toward intentionality. What makes me happy so far: laughing with my boys, a Starbucks getaway, fiddling with my wardrobe, midway through a workout, finishing a work project but not necessarily the process of a work project. I realize most happiness comes when I am alone. Probably an after effect of my anxiety issues. Thankfully, there are a few outstanding people I can be with who don't initiate that feeling.
Still I get happiness as an afterburn of social interaction so that counts as well. I realize food plays a role in both happiness and non happiness. I need to be aware of how this works for me.

BBE: You gave me a smile with Runaway Bunny. Precious memories with DS.
Karen: you inspire me to get back to hiking. I'll get a hold of my sister and make a plan.
Gardenerjoy and onebyone: yeah for new starts

Sorry for proofing. Phone check in.

Last edited by maryann; 11-09-2015 at 01:22 PM.
Old 11-09-2015, 02:06 PM   #56  

Height: 5' 2"

MaryAnn Your Sunday sounds so good. Much of it was reflected for us with our 2 single daughters. Each is re-acquainted wih former high school classmate and one is working at the gym with youngest daughter then dating and talking, and the other is hiking all over with our middle daughter than talking and talking and talking. Each daughter is appreciating sharing what she loves with another like minded man. We enjoyed hearing about them and their good natured ribbing of each other.

Bill Your wilderness walk really appeals to me. I began that as a child of 7 or so with Professor of Science who lived behind us. He took neighborhood kids out and taught us so much. DH spent his childhood in woods, too. That was our vacations, in the woods almost every time, especially spring and fall.

OneByOne I envy your opportunity for
Quote:
astronomy classes at our local observatory.
DD, DH and I were just discussing the North Star and it's "constant" companion to us.

Yesterday at our favorite restaurant I choose Red Curry Chicken and steamed veggies. Enough for two meals and so it has been. My desert was finally the ice cream that is my favorite in reasonable portions. I'm learning to stop and save some for another day. What a blessing.
Old 11-09-2015, 09:02 PM   #57  
Enjoying la bella vita

Hello, coaches! Day 10 of my restart and a good OP day. Evening plans changed as rain moved in, so I decided to hunker down at home. Oddball dinner of salad, roasted sweet potato and a couple of the mexican meatballs. Yesterday evening I got hungry and figured that it's not an emergency, so didn't go for anything else. But it got me thinking, why NOT listen to our bodies and eat when we're truly hungry? That's what I've been trying to become more attuned to ... eating when hungry and not eating when it's not my stomach that needs feeding. So while I didn't eat anything, I do want to get better at recognizing when I'm truly hungry.

My guilty holiday pleasure is enjoying Hallmark holiday movies, and I've put one on that MIL gave me. I like the clean-ness of them. Unfortunately some of them have lots of eating! ha ha. Now cookies and hot cocoa sound wonderful.

Bill - I admire your ability to modify your day's plan as the food ebbs and flows around your events. The Maggie Smith movie, "The Lady in the Van" that I told you was coming out in Nov., has been pushed to January.

Maryann - Your Sunday sounds thoroughly enjoyable. I liked the movie, The Martian - despite the fact that I don't care for outer space stuff. Glad it was a fun outing!

OneByOne - Credits on your restart today! Great start! I hate pictures that I'm not happy about. Thank you for sharing that. That's going on my advantages list. I want DH to take photos of me next year in Italy and I want to be able to look back on them with joy.

Love2Garden - Sounds like a great weekend for you, as well, with good family time. I hope you like both of your daughters' fellas. Good choice with your dinner!

Karen - WOW - 118K steps. Yowsers! I am barely getting in any with my foot pain! I keep hoping it'll disappear on its own. I'm so glad that your hikes with DH are going great. Any interest in fostering a dog now and then until you're ready for your own pup? I love the idea but also KNOW that I'm too much of a sucker and couldn't give one back. I wish I were stronger and could take in older rescues.

Joy - Hope your day was OP! The 'day before' mindset can make it a struggle. Good to recognize that!

Scale at ticker. I like having a stated goal that I'm striving for and not just floating around.
Old 11-10-2015, 06:45 AM   #58  
Super Moderator

S/C/G: 239/173/165

Thumbs up Tuesday - Dr. Livingstone, I presume? (Central Africa, 1871)

Diet Coaches/Buddies Walked, CREDIT moi, to my Monday classes. I'm beginning to get it how stars collapse at their end of life and how supernovas are used to determine distance in the universe. Just awesome stuff out there.

Eating was closer to plan. Since I went out in the evening to a meeting (where no food was served) after dinner snacking didn't happen. As I've often discovered, being away from my own kitchen makes snacking difficult.

onebyone Thanks for "do more of that thing that works and less of the stuff that doesn't" - I need the simple stuff, also.

Joy (gardenerjoy) Ouch for "Day-before-Diet mood" - the old neurons can take us to such odd places.

maryann - Thinking about your "I realize food plays a role in both happiness and non happiness" - the stuff is a major part of our lives.

nationalparker Such an admirable goal to adjust eating to real hunger.

Karen (karenrn) - Kudos indeed for 118,000+ steps in a week - that's a bunch of moving.

Sandy (love2garden) - Kudos for having a nice restaurant meal and making it two meals.

Readers -
Quote:
Chapter 2 Foundation Strategies to Escape Your Traps

Foundation Strategy #7: Manage hunger and cravings.

Ultimately, you'll learn that you don't have to do anything about hunger or cravings. Once you start eating according to a schedule (the next foundation strategy) you'll find what all successful dieters and maintainers know: that hunger and cravings reach a peak and then subside. They don't just get worse and worse and worse until you can't tolerate them any longer.

Judith S. Beck, Ph.D., Deborah Beck Busis, The Diet Trap Solution, Train Your Brain to Lose Weight and Keep It Off for Good (Blue book), pg. 35
Old 11-10-2015, 08:11 AM   #59  

S/C/G: 163/163/145

Height: 5'2

hi coaches-
really quick wave hello! the sheet cake is finally gone, it was hard to avoid it sitting on the table every day! My hip is feeling better so I am going to try doing a brief walk today to ease it back into exercise. DS and 150 classmates are flying to DC for a few days for a whirlwind trip of monuments and museums, and will come home exhausted but happy i'm sure! I have to get him and his suitcase to school so will post more tomorrow.
Old 11-10-2015, 09:49 AM   #60  

S/C/G: ?/137/125

Height: 5'5"

Good morning coaches,

Food within calories yesterday, but I did have 2 beers. It wasn't a good thing to do since I have a bit of the blues, but we sat out on the patio in the beautiful weather and had a nice visit after dh came home from work. Hike was very moderate in an unusual spot near the Verde River where there are some Indian artifacts.

Plain and simple I need to make more friends that are here year round, so I can get a little more routine socializing in my life. One of my friends will be here on Sunday, but her other home is Vancouver B.C., and she'll only be here for a couple of months this year. She used to be here quite a lot more and we did a ton together with a guy who has since married and abandoned us. We love his wife, but we are no longer the 3 amigos who hike the countryside. With the guy along we could go places we don't feel safe going alone, like scrambling places that are a little scary, etc.

I did contact a gal who I used to be in a Bible study with who has since retired and will be getting together with her. I'm looking forward to that and hopefully she can make some suggestions with groups at our church.

This evening I am going to a meeting about the Camino which I'll be doing in September with a friend. I'm interested to meet people who have done the Camino and can answer questions. I think it's a monthly meeting.

I guess the above doesn't have so much to do with weight, but it is heavy on my mind right now. At least I'm not eating over it and my weight although not decreasing, is stable at 140.

Curlyjax Just a thought. I don't know what your hip problem is, but dh has been doing some stretching exercises on the floor twice a day and it seems to eliminate hip discomfort.

Bill Your class sounds so interesting. Being away from food for the evening is also very good.

Nationalparker I hear you about eating when hungry. My problem at times has been identifying real hunger vs. boredom, loneliness, etc. I will say after my big backpack I ate quite a bit for a few days to a week and I think I really needed it. Didn't gain an ounce. I also am a sucker for the Hallmark Christmas movies. I have the Hallmark channel and have watched more than a few already (dh can't believe it). It works great when I'm ironing.

Love2garden Your curry dish sounds wonderful. Makes me think it's time to get out for something other than a burger.

Maryann Your Sunday sounds like a wonderful day. Yes, get out hiking it will make you happy.

Gardnerjoy At age 62, I wonder how many restarts I've had. Probably most of the Mondays of my life. I love a fresh start though. Good luck on yours. I do admire that you have many interests though and dieting doesn't always have to be the focus.

Onebyone I read your list of a few of the things to do to lose weight and I also need to follow the plan. I think under the remind myself why I want to lose weight, I need to RIGHT NOW go get the cards and read them. Doing it, and found then in two different places.

Sorry about the whining. I know how blessed I am, and just need to write out loud what I'm going to do about it those things that aren't right. Thanks.
Closed Thread