Beck Diet Solution A step-by-step program to learn specific techniques to stay on our diet, lose weight, and maintain our weight loss for life.

Closed Thread

Old 06-03-2015, 11:01 AM   #31  

Height: 5'5

Morning all! karenrn are you able to attach the declutter link? I tried to find it..thanks
I had a good day, ate on plan, no cafeteria food. Credit for reading my card and eating slowly and mindfully!
eusebius I'm going to check out Mindful bite not sure if they have a Samsung version.
It sounds like eevryone is doing really well
Old 06-03-2015, 12:06 PM   #32  

S/C/G: ?/136/125

Height: 5'5"

Good morning coaches,

This healthy eating thing is getting to be a habit, but I know I have to stay on my toes cause sabotaging thoughts could enter anytime. Credit for on plan eating and within calories yesterday. Credit for workout number two of Strong Curves this morning. Some of the exercises I can not do quite right because of my healing fracture or more like lack of strength. I need to put less weight on the right.

dsha123 I don't know how to attach the declutter link, but if you just click on the main Beck Diet Solution and then look at the different titles below, one of them is Spring Decluttering or something similar.

GardenerJoy With your diligence I am sure you will be refocused in no time.

TripSwitch Hope you feel better today and yes, "Oh, well".

BBE Interesting that there are so many options for lodging in Rome. I found the hotels I chose there were less expensive than here for the most part. I haven't seen Circus Maximus but I think I would like to. Guess I'll have to get back to Italy one of these days.

Onebyone Credit for taking time out of too much involvement with potter's guild and focusing on you.

Nationalparker I'm going to hit the closet after this. I hope my things that I'm going to discard don't all start talking to me. I guess I'll just thank them for their service and hope they stay silent. I do think that part of the book is a bit odd.

Curlyjax I second the notion of checking on that job. Who knows? It would be a shame to pass it up and then find your husband gets a new job in a week or two. It wouldn't hurt to check it out, would it? Or perhaps you'll find it isn't as perfect as you thought.

Love2garden I'm glad your test results were good and hope the lubricating shots work great. Have you had them before?

Waving to Lexxis and Erika and whomever else I missed!
Old 06-03-2015, 08:50 PM   #33  
GlenwoodHotSprings

S/C/G: 275/179/179

Hi coaches!

Today turned helter-skelter. Thank goodness I'm pretty good with substitutions. I spent hours in my yard this morning digging this horrible weed. It was a bit discouraging yet I kept trying to find a positive. I was getting ready to go to Denver to visit a friend in the hospital and was trying to negotiate my time frame around my dogs. In the middle of all I got a distress call from Alaska. The tenant is gone and it seems like her (our) house is a free-for-all now. People coming and going ....some guy spending nights there ...beer parties on the deck etc. it's the most beautiful and private spot on the beach and apparently word had gotten around that the tenant was gone. I had to call the tenant who is at the Grand Canyon and come up with a solution. She gave my husband 24 hours in which she promised my husband she would notify everyone that she could that her place is off limits while she's gone. My husband was frantic because he wasn't being able to get any work done between the rain and all the beach frolickers. It looks like maybe we have it resolved but it really threw a glitch in my plan. I had almost decided not to go to the hospital and changed my mind. I quick made my smoothie and drank it in the car. Did an errand on the way down and then stopped at the natural grocery and found a 250 cal acceptable burrito for lunch. I only got it half heated in the microwave at the store and it was pretty cold but provided nutrition. I had a longer than anticipated visit with my friend and did make it back home. My brother shows up tomorrow for an unexpected visit and I'm just going to go with the flow. I'm having a light dinner upstairs tonight. Too tired to feel like eating much. Credit for sticking with some type of a plan today. LOL.

Bill, it's hard to imagine a venue in Rome which would have no tourists. Glad you enjoyed it!
Old 06-03-2015, 09:31 PM   #34  
Enjoying la bella vita

S/C/G: 28 pounds to go

Height: 5-4

OP day today with food, credit. Scale, though, bumped up a bit, so will see how the rest of the week goes.

Got changed and bugsprayed, then hauled the lawnmower out tonight and got one strip done before it conked out. DH said he'll fix tomorrow night. If he fixes it, I'll mow. So weeded the garden for awhile. (DH had weedwhacked a ton of weeds that proliferated amazingly well to my distress/frustration.)

We've worked on our vacation plans and now they include Fundy National Park on the way back to Maine. DH kept asking if I wanted a B&B, but I said let's camp! We're hauling it all, let's use it. I think he liked telling the guys at work I'm the one saying, "let's camp the whole time."

Bill - Ran across this quote and thought of you: When the bird and the book disagree, always believe the bird. ~ John James Audobon ... Now you have me wanting gelato.

Lexxiss - Credits for not stress eating on a day that would certainly be a choice by many!

Karen - You have done amazingly well as you've been healing/rehabbing. No pity eating, no sitting back just waiting it out. MANY credits to you!!

Beth - I can't remember - were you on vacation this week? If so, hope it's going great! If not, looking forward to hearing how you're doing!

Okay, you folks have me hauling down my copy of Miriam Nelson's book - my SIL passed on to me her signed copy (she came to the hospital where she worked) ... AFTER I'd borrowed it a few times from the library so I just shelved this copy. Will [ahem] blow any dust off it and check that out again.

Read a blog about overstuffed lives (UCLA had an article on our "clutter culture" a few years ago) and it just seems like overstuffed lives/people/homes/etc. Kind of mentally wearying to think about.

Hello to all! Off to run a hot bath and relax a bit and hit the sack early tonight.

Last edited by nationalparker; 06-03-2015 at 09:33 PM.
Old 06-03-2015, 11:56 PM   #35  
persist

S/C/G: 322/310/299

Height: 5' 6"

Coaches

Walked with DH tonight. Good pace. Credit. Food good. Credit. Work progressing. Credit. Must sleep now. Goodnight!
Old 06-04-2015, 03:39 AM   #36  
in development

Height: 5' 6"

Good morning! A very quick check-in to say that I'm starting to surface. I've weighed myself this morning. I'll be doing my flexibility workout in a moment. I'm reading Strong Women, Strong Hearts by Miriam Nelson (which I appear not to have read before) as relaxation away from executor duties. Interesting research. I will plan today's food. Credit all round.

I've been continuing to read here. Debbie, you certainly had a challenging day yesterday. Here's hoping today runs more smoothly (smoothily??)
Old 06-04-2015, 06:52 AM   #37  
Super Moderator

S/C/G: 239/173/165

Height: 5'9"

Thumbs up Thursday

Diet Coaches/Buddies – DW grilled pork chops despite a light rain and cold weather for June. Eating was on plan for the day, CREDIT moi, with an afternoon snack. A package of cookies (biscuits) followed us home from Rome where I'd bought them as granola bar replacements. The label claims that they contain fruit, but they're mostly very dry oatmeal cookies with little sugar - just the kind that I like.

Did gym, CREDIT moi, distracted because a trainer wanted to talk about Rome. My walk was to Trader Joe's for nuts and to Whole Foods for peanut butter where I faced an empty container whose grinding mechanism happily whirled producing nothing. My first impulse was that my disappointment would be satisfied if I took some FREE samples of cheese. Then I remembered that cheese was neither rare nor unusual and that I could live a few days without permanent damage from disappointment.

Vignette of Rome 3: Our Airbnb was a short walk from the Pantheon which quickly became our favorite building in Rome. We dropped by every day to see how the light from the opening in the roof (its only source) looked at different times. We managed to get there when it was raining to dispel the old belief that rain never reached the floor; it does. The ancient architects even cut holes in the floor to drain the water and the current curators rope off the center section so that tourists won't slip on the wet marble. The square outside is jam packed with hawkers selling . . . selfie-sticks. It appears that DW was the only tourist taking pictures of Rome itself; the rest were taking selfies with Rome in the background.

maryblu – Waving. At Trader Joe's, there was a sign, "Walnuts are back." Apparently the shortage reached here. I was able to buy a pound of 'Halves and pieces' for $6.99 but couldn't get the normal bag of Trader Joe's 'Premium Halves' that I normally buy.

onebyone – An evening walk with a spouse is just about the best.

Joy (gardenerjoy) – Yay for two food plans in one day.

Debbie (Lexxiss) – Ouch for having to call the Grand Canyon to resolve uninvited "guests" in your house in Alaska. Kudos for responding to "helter-skelter" with action rather than eating.

silverbirch – Yep, Kudos indeed for planning today's food instead of succumbing to your executor duties.

nationalparker – Ouch for weeds with Kudos for whacking them instead of eating about them. [Love the John James Audubon quote.]

Karen (karenrn) - Yep, Kudos for continuing your Strong Curves even with adjustments for your healing fracture.

TripSwitch - Ouch for a "food hangover" with Kudos for "Oh, Well... " card and move on.

dsha123 - Kudos for continuing to avoid the cafeteria . (If you still need this: Decluttering . Spring Cleaning Edition, 2015.)

Readers -
Quote:
Day 37 Reduce Stress

To reduce stress, you have to change your rules. Here's how:

Identify the rules you have for yourself. . . .
Catherine was stressed from being home with two toddlers. She needed time for herself, but her rule - I shouldn't ask others for help - interfered.

Judith S. Beck, Ph.D., The Beck Diet Solution (Pink book), pg 245.
Old 06-04-2015, 07:09 AM   #38  
Heading Downtown...

S/C/G: 225/165/165

Height: 5'8"

Good Morning Coaches...

I'm facing this overwhelming desire to just give up these last few days... Of course it's partially motivated by the scale starting to creep back up... And also by my feelings of failure at not being able to do something as simple as sit down while eating and writing out and sticking to some sort of food plan...

All of this just makes me want to run out today and sign up with IP or something like that and try to live off protein "packets" to get the rest of this weight off...

I just feel like I can't stick to ANYTHING and I just don't know why... ?

And my "Get Back On Track" card is not really helping, since I'm not sure what the right track is...
Old 06-04-2015, 09:03 AM   #39  
Fighting Piano Butt!

S/C/G: 220/see ticker/130

Height: 5'4"

Good morning Coaches,

Well, I think the best way for me to ensure I post daily is to make it part of my morning routine. So here I am

Last night I made a steak salad that was more points than I thought it would be due to the type of steak. (Why can’t we get flank steak in Canada? I don’t think I’ve ever seen it.) Then my daughter wanted to go out for ice cream, the lady served me more than I asked for, and I found out when I got home that the flavour I chose was 2 points more per 1/2 cup than the other flavours. OH WELL. I had the extra weekly points to deal with it, so I can just move on.

I did yoga - credit. Ate sitting down using Mindful Bite - credit.

Today my task is to fill out the hunger monitoring chart. I always find that enlightening. I will be going out for a run in a little while too … looking forward to that. The dieting tasks are interfering with my practice time a little bit … hopefully I’ll figure that out soon.

BillBE - Love your vignettes, keep ‘em coming! We have the unseasonably cool weather here as well, though it’s warming up a bit today. Great how the grill is still fabulous whatever the weather. Good work avoiding the cheese samples. Unreal that Rome is now full of selfie sticks. Tempora mutantur ...

TripSwitch - I feel your overwhelm and frustration. Sending good thoughts as you negotiate a bit of a rough patch. You can do it!!

gardenerjoy - excellent that you are planning for success with a complete todo list!

dsha - kudos for a good day! Let me know what you think of Mindful Bite!

karenrn - congrats on a great day yesterday! Keep it up

Lexxiss - Wow!! I am so impressed at how you handled that crazy day! I think an event like that would throw me into a tailspin - it just shows that you have consistently worked your Beck skills and they are second nature now. Way to go!!

nationalparker - kudos for your good day. Don’t worry too much about the scale - fluctuations happen! Oh, I hope you enjoy Fundy Park. I’m a transplanted New Brunswicker and I know how gorgeous it is

onebyone - credit for a good day - sounds busy!

silverbirch - kudos for food planning and researching exercise!!
Old 06-04-2015, 10:48 AM   #40  

S/C/G: 155/152/125

Height: 5'4"

I have neither vanished nor given up. I'm struggling a lot though.

Travelling to the funeral and back was rough on my diet for many reasons, including emotional matters and lots of drinking. And I've been struggling since I returned on account of those emotional matters. In addition to the death of an uncle I loved very much, there's also a lot of guilt because I hadn't been able to travel to see him in years. And I don't want to go into details, but an unrelated and longstanding painful matter in my life got reopened while I was there.

Basically, I've been just trying to keep my head above water this last week and half. I binged a little bit, then stopped. I didn't exercise for a week, then started again. I have ZERO motivation to read my BDS or put mental effort into weight loss. I decided this morning that for the time being, I'm just going to pretend I'm a person with a normal relationship with food and act accordingly. That's probably not a long term solution but I'm hoping it will keep me in my current pants size until my motivation comes back.
Old 06-04-2015, 11:06 AM   #41  

Height: 5'5

Morning new friends! I will check in again later, but just a quick one now. I had a good day, ate mindfully, read my card, stuck to my plan, left food on my plate and didn't finish my beer! lol...tonight it exercise day! EEK! thanks
Old 06-04-2015, 11:07 AM   #42  

S/C/G: 177/177/145

Height: 5'2

Hi everyone!
credit for good walk yesterday despite my sore leg. I guess I need to stretch it a lot every day, which I keep putting off for some reason!
credit for finally going to get some "checkup" blood work done that I have put off for a few months- because I had to fast and I can't deal without my milk in coffee first thing! but I finally did it, and hopefully all will be fine.
I'm not doing so good with not eating dessert on the weekdays, need to be firmer with myself! I did avoid buying dessert at the Whole Foods here which has wonderful pastries so credit for that.

Job stuff- thanks karenrn and nationalparker for the support and creative ideas! Unfortunately it is a non profit agency run by the town, so there isn't any wiggle room. Each year the budget is voted on by the townfolk, so there is always the possibility that ones job may decrease the next year anyhow, which is a downside. I know of similar agencies that offer two part time instead of one full time, so they don't have to pay benefits, which really stinks. Anyhow I told a friend of mine about it and she was really excited, so hopefully there will be some job karma for DH and myself!

Lexiss- wow, that house stuff sounds stressful! hope it all resolves quickly.
Tripswitch-I sympathize, I lost my motivation for quite a few months. It somehow came back, but I am still struggling to actually do what I plan!
Waving to all!

Last edited by curlyjax; 06-04-2015 at 11:07 AM.
Old 06-04-2015, 12:06 PM   #43  

S/C/G: ?/136/125

Good morning coaches,

Today was hiking day and I did my usual Bell Pass 7 1/2 miles with an 18 1/2 pound pack today. I was a couple of minutes slower, but I think that is to be expected as I increase the weight in the pack. Credit anyway. I was on plan and within calories yesterday and even decided not to have my fruit after dinner cause I was full. I'll probably have it as a snack soon with some cottage cheese. I don't have my day fully planned food wise, so I will do that.

I tried on the pants in my closet and have a stack to get rid of. They are a little too big and I know I won't wear them. I have sizes 4 thru 12, although the 4's are only in skirts and I'm sure they are vanity sizing. I won't be able to do a thorough job until my weight is where I want it, but I can start with the weeding process.

Have a good day all!
Old 06-04-2015, 02:50 PM   #44  

S/C/G: 173/185/ 165

Height: 5'6

Good Morning, Coaches.

Well, I am officially done with school. Thought there are two days left on the calendar, my back issues have encouraged me to take the two days off to heal. I will make up the days when the kids are gone next week - lots of data work, reports, meeting and interview. But once the energy of the kids has disappeared, it doesn't seem like work at all. Just housecleaning which is a nice change of pace.

I am humbled pin the face of this nagging pain and I have tremendous compassion for those who live in chronic discomfort. My back is improving but oh so slowly. Major exercise is out. I was able to do light yoga yesterday and a short walk today. I will force myself to lie down for brief periods all day and put the heating pad on my back. I am still on night time pain meds which keep the ticker slightly up. I am going to start thinking of the water weight as a savings account. The minute I get off the meds, I will drop two or three pounds, so I I can lose another few pounds I will be well into the 150s which (like TripSwitch) is a BIG goal.

So I have had a planned breakfast and treat. I will make a mandatory salad and have a smoothie for dinner.

nationalparker and Karen: I read "The Magic of Tidying" and was amused at the very Eastern philosophy that inanimate objects carry spirits. I took a few decluttering tips. I am grateful that I sway to the other side of the spectrum - I throw too much away. I love open space.

Off to a wedding this weekend - seven hours away. I am trying not to eat over my nerves about traveling in the car so long with my back. I am downloading Treasure Island for us to listen to. Last car trip we listen to White Fang and a family. I love that these books give us a common language as a family.
Old 06-04-2015, 06:05 PM   #45  

Height: 5' 2"

Thank Goodness for someplace to celebrate when we give ourselves a much needed pat on the back.

Lunch with friends in Bakery shop that had great ice cream is now possible without the temptations I used to feel, and usually give into. CREDIT I ate healthy, and stopped.

Last Bible Class for our group till September and we were a bit silly. Some answers caused another to top it with something also ridiculous, followed with laughter.

We've developed a closeness this year that feels good.

CurleyJax Ouch. Hard to turn down a job that would feel more like fun, but those health insurance benefits are so important.

Karen Good for you to get those clothes out. Larger sizes would simply be tempting. I also found the next size down and am impressed that I have a good selection.

Mary Ann Hope your back is kind to you on your travels.

Last edited by love2garden; 06-04-2015 at 06:12 PM.
Closed Thread