Beck Diet Solution A step-by-step program to learn specific techniques to stay on our diet, lose weight, and maintain our weight loss for life.

Closed Thread

Old 06-09-2015, 07:35 PM   #91  

Height: 5' 2"

Mary Ann Glad you are gradually doing better and rehydrating. Understand some of the frustration, and hope you are feeling better and without both pain and pain pills very soon.

National Parker Your attempts to NOT spend money sound like my own. May you find a decent blender that makes you feel it is worth it.

DH and I have been trying to make do with two chairs by TV that were NOT wise purchases. When mine broke several weeks ago, I was glad to drag it out of that room and bring in one from another area - however very much looking out of place in color and style.

DH couldn't stand that room looking "Junkie" and suggested we actually spend some of that retirement money on decent matching recliners in a better fabric or even leather!!!

I panic and finally really looked at this really huge and beautiful TV room and had to agree. We went shopping today, and I saw a burgundy leather chair that looked as if it were shorter than others. I'm 5'2" and sometimes chairs are too deep for me to sit in and let my feet reach the floor.

This chair was perfect fit!!! Problem, burgundy was NOT the color DH had in mind. With dark rug he wanted 2 lighter chairs. He found one he liked in tan leather and I tried it. Fair. But I went back to the one that really fit and asked if it comes in tan. NO. OUCH.

Then DH did the sweetest thing, he asked if his choice comes in burgundy and it did and he got his favorite chair and I got mine, and the burgundy chairs will be delivered on Saturday. I'm thrilled, inspite of the budget hit.

Welcome Honey Combe. Beck habits are NOT easy to make my own, but the ones I have mastered are making life much easier, and scale if finally moving the correct way.

GardenerJoy Neglected to congratulate on your successful long term freedom from cancer. What a celebration you must have each anniversary! Agree that the wonderful summer berries make it easy to leave other carbs alone.

Last edited by love2garden; 06-09-2015 at 07:37 PM.
Old 06-10-2015, 05:57 AM   #92  
Super Moderator

S/C/G: 239/173/165

Height: 5'9"

Thumbs up Wednesday - Iced Tea Day (St. Louis World Fair, 1904)

Diet Coaches/Buddies – Eating was on plan, CREDIT moi, with half a mango for evening snack. Yay for mangoes. It's so hard to believe that they're grown and shipped from wherever to here to sell for a finite amount of money. I longed for cookies again in the afternoon. I substituted a bowl of blueberries. So satisfying and, if I believe the hype, I'll probably live a week longer due to the anti-oxidants. Dinner was being placed on trays to eat on the patio when the rains started. I missed the patio; DW, the gardener, embraced the rain.

Not much exercise and no stellar reason for that. Mostly it was because I was kept at home because UPS was scheduled to pick up a package and required "an adult over 18 years of age" to be present. As I suspected, the UPS guy saw my note on the package sitting on the bench on my front porch; grabbed it; and ran. I wasn't required to be there.

Joy (gardenerjoy) – I'll have to go check if our farmer's markets have local strawberries yet. Their taste is so superior.

Erika (eusebius) – Happy WW weigh in day. Yoga and on-plan eating sound like good plans for the day.

maryann - Good Grief! Your back sounds like a killer. Kudos for keeping your wits despite the drugs. Hope it gets to healing rapidly.

nationalparker – Good luck getting a new immersion blender. I hate that new appliances are being made more and more flimsy. (The package that UPS was picking up was a Black & Decker one cup coffee maker that, fortunately, arrived defective. Fortunately, because I could return it; it was made of plastic so thin as to be unpleasant. I won't order another. I'll just hope my current one lasts forever.)

Karen (karenrn) - You should be proud of yourself for sticking to your eating plan even with company.

love2garden - Super Kudos for making the decision to buy comfortable recliners. Your DH sounds like a keeper.

dsha123 - Congrats for those two pounds gone forever. And Kudos for actually tossing a muffin.

SuzLen - Yay for the spiralizer introducing veggies to the, presumably, reluctant. Amazing story about your mom getting rid of arthritis by dropping sugar.

Readers -
Quote:
Day 37 Reduce Stress

To relax your rules for other people, do the following:
  • Recognize that you just don't have control - or not much control - over other people. The only one you really have control over is yourself. You can change your own thinking and behavior, but you can't necessarily change other people.
  • Think about someone you admire who has more relaxed ideas about how others should be. What rules does he or she have?
  • Think of the advantages of changing your rules.
Judith S. Beck, Ph.D., The Beck Diet Solution (Pink book), pg 246.
Old 06-10-2015, 06:37 AM   #93  
GlenwoodHotSprings

S/C/G: 275/179/179

Height: 5'5"

Hi Coaches!

Guess I didn't post yesterday. Food was good yesterday. I made my own 1/2 sandwich at work. A reuben minus the meat. It's surprisingly good. Dinner/snacks ok, especially since I fell asleep early. Weighing every day. Up and down but maintaining. Credit. Pulled out a pair of pants for work this morning I haven't worn in awhile. Looser despite same scale reading. That's fine with me.

MaryAnn, credit for posting and super kudos for extra effort to keep your food choices after DH shopped. So sorry you are having so much pain and I hope your recovery keeps coming. Take care!

This is an extra day at work and I must keep moving.

Thanks, as always, everyone, for being here!
Old 06-10-2015, 07:48 AM   #94  
Heading Downtown...

S/C/G: 225/165/165

Height: 5'8"

Hello All

Been absent from this thread for a few days, so I'm a bit behind on all that is going on with everyone here... And I'm going through one of my "I'm really bored with everything" phases, so I'm trying to figure out a way to get excited again about losing these last few lbs... WW meetings are starting to lose their appeal... It seems the last few meetings I've been at all people want to do is talk about food and recipes and cooking and eating out, etc., etc... Just not all that interesting to me and not very motivating... Basically the only reason I'm still going is that I'm determined to earn Lifetime Membership status... that's all I really care about at this point...

I'm thinking of checking out some TOPS meetings to see what that's all about... I got my hands on their Real Life book and a set of the exchange cards that they use and I've been playing around with those... I used them yesterday and I actually really liked them... It was a very nice way to eat very balanced throughout the day... Plus I like learning new things, so learning the exchange system is sort of interesting to me... I'm actually sort of surprised with myself that I've never bothered to learn it before since I've pretty much been a "professional" dieter most my life...Lol...

Hope everyone is doing well here... So it's onwards and downwards (on the scale at least) for me...
Old 06-10-2015, 07:52 AM   #95  

S/C/G: 177/177/145

Height: 5'2

hi coaches!
I kept meaning to post over the last few days, here I am finally. I have enjoyed listening to an audiobook 10% Happier by Dan Harris on taming the voice in your head through meditation. Its so interesting to see how a type A person who is so not into alternative stuff found this technique and uses it. I'm going to finish it and see if I can apply some stuff to my own life, which could ultimately help my eating patterns possibly!

I lost two pounds then gained them back, sigh, but i have been slipping into too many desserts and too much food in general. But I am still feeling upbeat in general which is half the battle for me!

Gardenerjoy- wow, congrats on 30 years cancer free! That must have been such a hard time for you and your parents years ago, Im so glad you have been healthy ever since! And a very cute picture.
Suzlen- I have been reading about the spiralizer, it sounds like a great gadget. That is great your son is eating so many veggies!
Maryann- I'm so sorry to hear about all this pain you've been going through! I hope this gets resolved soon. Maybe the end of the school year will give you more time to heal.
love2garden-life is short and it is well worth spending some money for something that makes you and your DH happy, is my humble opinion. Enjoy your chairs!
Waving to everyone else!
Old 06-10-2015, 10:12 AM   #96  
Green Tomatoes

On my walk yesterday, I got to be a hero to a family with a lost beagle. He wouldn't come to me (even with the treat they gave me to lure him in if I saw him), but I reported the location back to the family and they went right over and picked him up! Walking turned out to be a much more effective way to search for a lost dog -- they were zipping around the neighborhood in vehicles and would never have spotted him at the back of driveway.

WI: -0.45 kg, Exercise: +40 370/1300 minutes for June, Food: 100% op, Read my Advantages and Responses: yes

nationalparker: I made a response card, too, to remind me that it's not what I can get away with, it's how healthy can I make it. It's proving to be very helpful to me!

Yikes, maryann! What a scary incident. I hope you recover quickly. Good to see your confidence -- you're absolutely right that you can lose any weight you need to, but first things first!

TripSwitch: I love exchange plans! Weight Watchers used to be that and it's what I keep going back to. I also had some fun with Richard Simmon's Food Mover -- a little gadget for keeping track of exchanges. I used it when I was bored with my plan. I'm not sure why it helped since I ate the same foods -- I was just monitoring it differently. But it gave some fun to my dieting at a point when I needed that.
Old 06-10-2015, 12:47 PM   #97  

S/C/G: ?/136/125

Height: 5'5"

Good morning coaches,

Credit for food on plan and within calories. Credit for gym workout this morning. Not much planned for the day. It's cloudy here and only 82 degrees so far. We are having unusual weather for Arizona.

The old pup is tired today. His vision is so poor that he ran in to a few things this morning, the door and then a desk. Almost think I should put a leash on him to walk him out to the back yard when he first gets up. That seems to be his worst time.

Nationalparker I wake up around 4 most days this time of year. The dog wakes up first some of the time. If I really want to be sure to get out the door early I set an alarm. We are early to bed and early to rise around here, partly due to my husbands work. I'm hoping when he retires we might sleep a little later except when it's hot and I need to get out to hike.

Maryann I am so sorry for your scare and also your pain. I hope you're feeling better today. Have you figured out what might have gotten that started?

Love2garden Enjoy the comfortable chair. I know you are crazy about your husband and he sounds like a real keeper. Good thing after all these years, huh?

Bill I've been just crazy about mangos lately and they have been on sale pretty regularly. Hope you're getting out for your exercise today.

Lexxis Yea for looser pants. I've got two stacks I'm trying on, the "almost fit" and "10 more pounds". Can't wait until a few more things fit.

TripSwitch I hear you about getting a little bored with the dieting. Sometimes lately I just write the food plan (or type it into MFP), follow it and get a little more excited about the fitness portion. Luckily my husband is on board with eating healthy so that is making it easier right now too.

Curlyjax Glad you've found an audiobook that you're enjoying. I listen to quite a few of them when I hike. It's an easy way to "read" or get new information.

GardenerJoy So glad you were able to be a hero with the lost beagle. I bet the family was so happy you found him. I'm also thinking about, "It's not what I can get away with, it's how healthy can I make it." I'm losing so slowly and I'm sure some of it is that I need to cut back just a little more. I find it is quite a balancing act to eat enough to feel really good for exercise, yet keep calories down enough to lose.

Well time to get cleaned up and on to the errands.
Old 06-10-2015, 01:10 PM   #98  
Fighting Piano Butt!

S/C/G: 220/see ticker/130

Height: 5'4"

Good afternoon Coaches,

I went in for my WW weighin this morning and … Down 4.3 pounds!! I’m thrilled. I certainly don’t expect results like that every week, but it does mean I’ve reached my first Beck 5 pound goal! Really happy about that. I think maybe I’ll treat myself to an iTunes movie or something tonight.

Yesterday food was OP other than a second mini bag of popcorn - oh well. I did some yoga too.

I got up early and went run/walking - felt great. Then WW meeting and then stopped in to the hospital to visit my mom. She had surgery to remove some cancer from her lung - fortunately it was caught early, so we hope she won’t need chemo or radiation.
Today I will be teaching a fair bit and I hope to get some practicing in as well.

gardenerjoy - local strawberries sound divine! Nice job spotting that lost beagle.

dsha - congrats on 2 pounds gone! Keep up the good Beck work!

karenrn - you are doing so well with the exercise and I’m very impressed that you forgo the alcohol and sweets when you’re with company.

nationalparker - okay, I think I really want to read The New Frugality. Are you liking it? Yeah, that immersion blender sounds like something’s not right with it.

maryann - I am so sorry to hear about your pain crisis. You are handling it extremely well, I think. I hope things improve for you quickly.

love2garden - your new chairs sound so comfy and I’m sure they’ll look great in your space.

BillBE - love mangos, remind me to buy some at the grocery store next time I’m there! LOL. Great job substituting blueberries for cookies.

Lexxiss - Great job with your maintenance and the looser pants are a nice bonus!

TripSwitch - Maybe it is time for a change and TOPS seems like a workable program. Let us know what you decide!

curlyjax - 10% Happier is another book that sounds interesting. I sure love what meditation has done for my life and I hope it helps you too.
Old 06-10-2015, 01:54 PM   #99  

S/C/G: 290/242/165

Height: 5'9.75

Hi all,

I recently started the book and have worked through the first five days. However, I bought the kindle version and didn't care for it since there are workbook pages i want to write on. So I'll be solidifying the skills I've learned the first five days for the next week or so until i get another copy of the book. I don't necessarily mind the delay because I think going over the ARC, eating slowly, sitting down and giving myself credit are more than enough for me at the moment. I already feel so much more in control of my eating and am eating less. So I'm pretty excited to start on this journey. I do feel like it's the missing piece to my weight loss journey.

-Ann

Last edited by annbelievesinwhales; 06-10-2015 at 02:40 PM.
Old 06-10-2015, 03:21 PM   #100  

S/C/G: 155/152/125

Height: 5'4"

I just re-read the section on emotional eating and have some reflections.

I have struggled with binge eating for years. While the compulsion has lessened significantly the past 5 years or so, I still have occasional lapses. Oddly enough, it took the addiction loosening it's grip on me some before I was able to even identify actual triggers. (I've been through several therapy sessions that went like this: "Why do you binge? Do you eat because you're bored?" "Nope. I binge because I want to." "Lonely? Were you lonely the last time you did it?" "Nope. I did it because I love pizza." "Were you anxious?" "Nope. I wanted to eat." I'm sure the therapists thought I was great fun. I wasn't being deliberately obstructive, but I honestly never could identify the trigger when my addiction was its strongest. I couldn't remember feeling anything pre-binge but a compulsion to binge.)

Anyway, there are two triggers. The first is actually hunger (duh.) I get overwhelmed with hunger sometimes, make bad choices about what to eat, then don't stop eating when I should. I discovered by chance that a really helpful (if not foolproof) way to deal with that is to eat (duh.) But I do it like this: Eat a proper meal. If I'm still hungry after, eat about 150 calories, then wait 10-15 minutes to see how I feel. If I'm still hungry, I eat another 150 calories. I repeat this until I settle down and the urge to binge goes away. I usually end up eating more than my caloric allotment for the day, but I'll usually stay at maintenance caloric level, so at least I don't gain.

The other trigger is a need to self-soothe. This one has proven harder to deal with. The biggest cause of stress/anxiety in my life isn't a solveable issue - the best I can hope for is to cope with it and not be overwhelmed by it. I don't care what anyone else says, food is a very effective soother. It's the side effects of too much that I have the problem with. Alcohol is great, too. But it has calories as well and, even worse, once my inhibitions are loosened I say "What the heck?" and start eating.

Finding a remotely adequate substitute to food/alcohol has proven challenging. The closest I've come is doing needlepoint while bingewatching a beloved TV show. The needlepoint part is essential because it keeps me from eating - it both distracts me and I don't want to displace all the supplies on my lap and seating area by getting up to find food. If you struggle with eating while watching TV, I highly recommend it or some similar craft. I took it up just to have something to do with my hands while I watch TV but it's proven really helpful with dieting.

Anyway, I feel that I would benefit from an expanded discussion of emotional eating, so I ordered the book End Emotional Eating: Using Dialectical Behavior Therapy Skills to Cope with Difficult Emotions and Develop a Healthy Relationship to Food by Dr. Jennifer Taitz.
Old 06-10-2015, 09:04 PM   #101  

A quick check-in today, a sick child has me off schedule and therefore off my exercise/planning/eating schedule as well. Because, you know, once you plan something is bound to throw you off! BUT...I did eat breakfast on plan, drank a lot of water, and good of overeaten. So credit to me for SITTING DOWN, eating slowly and not going overboard!! And....I once snitched a couple of my DH hidden stash of hershey kisses. Because, really, I have the capability to eat the whole bag. So I give myself a bit of Credit for a bit more self-control then I usually have.

Son is finally keeping down liquids and I feel like I can leave his side long enough to plan to be ON PLAN tomorrow......

Good thing this is a marathon and not a sprint!

eusebius: congrats on your fantastic weigh-in. Hurrah!

BillBE: Tell me the trick for getting a good mango. It is always hit and miss for me and love them when they in the perfect state of ripeness.

Violette_R: I love to eat when watching TV or reading. It is my way to relax. I need to find something else to do, thanks for the suggestions. I used to do needlepoint, now my eyes are so bad it has become more work than enjoyment!

annbelievesinwhales: I am glad you are getting the hard copy - it will be well worth it!

karenrn: It is great to start the day on plan! I was born in Arizona - and one of my sons goes to school there. It is a great state.

Okay - tomorrow is a brand new day!
Old 06-10-2015, 10:05 PM   #102  
Enjoying la bella vita

S/C/G: 28 pounds to go

Height: 5-4

Hello, all! I completed our pavers around a garden project last night, and sweated up a storm as it was super humid. Felt good to set a goal to wrap that up and not put it off. Weather is much less humid tonight. Very frustrating day at work and I vented a great deal to DH on my drive home, then consciously said "it ends here - that's my job ...this is my life" before opening the door at home. I enjoyed dinner (big salad with grilled chicken) and finished my light mystery library book on the patio, determined to have a relaxing evening tonight. We fly out on Saturday morning very early - I'll be gone a week and DH will return home on Monday night. I HATE leaving the pets for long and in a way I'm glad he'll be here with them. A lot of trips coming up - this one is mostly work, but adding time to the trip to spend it with my brother's family and some friends in Florida. DH is looking forward to a few days by an upscale pool while I work

Pulled the Beck book out again, literally blew the dust off the top of it (and some stray cat fur, so apparently I haven't dusted that spot in a while, nor have I pulled the book out in awhile...) Reread Day 8 to find time to diet and am doing that fairly well, so tomorrow will be Day 9 - find an exercise plan. I will struggle mightily with that in my current mindset.

I read more in that Frugality book and so far nothing is earth-shattering but it's always good reminders to take stock of financial stuff, etc. Sometimes just the confirmation that we're doing the right things and trying to save what we can with the hope of being able to retire one day.

Love2Garden - That's great that you and your DH came to a good point on the recliners! With some items when you use them every single day, I think it's worth it to spend on them. Mattresses, etc.

Bill - Phooey on the rain forcing you indoors for dining... The other night with the steady calm rain DH put up the LARGE patio umbrella and we sat outside and watched it. He enjoys that more than me. I keep one eye out for mosquitoes and the other for lightning, while he sits back with eyes closed, relaxing to the sound of the rain. We're so different!

Maryann - I'm glad to hear that you're up and about - what a scare that must've been for you, as well as DH and DS! I had to smile at your line about the food choices DH brought home. Credits to you for ensuring you had smart choices. Hope the pain is relieved here soon!

WELCOME - Ann! Looking forward to your posts and learning more about you and your challenges!

Eusebius - KUDOS to you on your great WW weigh in! That has got to feel wonderful. And five pounds down Beck-wise, as well! (Embarrassed that I just now got around to wiki-ing your username to see what exactly that was - I was ignorant on that!) The book is "ok" but I find myself flipping quickly past some areas on credit card debt, etc. things that don't pertain. I was looking mostly for some clever "frugal" thoughts on buying wisely and shunning cheap stuff so in the long run you're better off ... I DO find myself thinking a lot about our menus, using up much before doing a large shopping trip and few impulse buys now.

Have stayed busy this evening and finally darkness has fallen and pooch and I are indoors for good. No snacking! A part of me wants something now just because, but No Choice! Warm bath and magazine instead.

SuzLen - I will join you with an On Plan day tomorrow. Credits to you for not overeating with the stress of a sick child and affected plans/schedules!

Last edited by nationalparker; 06-10-2015 at 10:07 PM.
Old 06-11-2015, 06:27 AM   #103  
Super Moderator

Thumbs up Welcome Ann (annbelievesinwhales)

Ann (annbelievesinwhales)

And, on the occasion of your first post,

How did you discover the books by Dr. Judith Beck?

And how did you find our forum here on 3 Fat Chicks?
Old 06-11-2015, 06:37 AM   #104  
Super Moderator

Thumbs up Thursday

Diet Coaches/Buddies – Did gym, CREDIT moi, with an additional walk that included the library. While working out I had the thought of taking a short cut. Then I remembered that I was there for the exercise - not to fulfill someone else's minimum. So, I worked a bit harder . . . by choice!

Eating was on plan, CREDIT moi. Dinner on the patio included deviled eggs and pasta salad - DW's ultimate summer meal. It was divine. One more time I longed for an afternoon snack of something naughty; one more time I chose a small bowl of blueberries. Life is good.

Hero Joy (gardenerjoy) – Congrats for facilitating the return of the Beagle.

Erika (eusebius) – Yikes! 4.3 pounds is a mighty jump. Hope your mom's recovery path is smooth.

Debbie (Lexxiss) – Yay for the joy of blue jeans that fit. My mind can't adjust to a Ruben's without the corned beef - glad that you liked it, though.

nationalparker – Congrats on a project completed. Love the notion of sitting under your patio umbrella in the rain just savoring life.

Karen (karenrn) - Ouch for the difficulties of an old pup. BTDT with our 15 year old Aussie. Yep, Kudos for gym and on-plan eating.

curlyjax - Yep, "feeling upbeat" does seem like half the battle.

Violette_R - Kudos for thinking realistically about the effect of eating, especially acknowledging that it does sooth initially. Look forward to hearing how you like that book.

TripSwitch - My take is that the "I'm really bored with everything" phase comes with any endeavor. Kudos for recognizing it so you can develop strategies. A bunch of posters on 3FC like the exchange system.

SuzLen - Ouch for snitching a hersey kiss with Kudos for snitching only one. Hope your sick kid gets back on track. [Choosing mangoes seems to me to be luck - and the willingness to wait for them to ripen at home.]

Ann (annbelievesinwhales) - Yep, it's a challenge to figure out a how to make a lifetime way to keep the workbook pages. I use an Excel spreadsheet - others have different strategies. Neat idea to work on the basics for a spell. Glad that you've joined us.

Readers -
Quote:
Day 37 Reduce Stress

To relax your rules for other people, do the following: . . .
  • Try to take the words always and never out of your rules.
  • Change "should" or "shouldn't" to "it's realistic to expect that ..."
    • Other people should always be perfect becomes It's realistic to expect that other people will make mistakes.
    • Other people should always read my mind becomes It's realistic to expect that people won't know what I want or need unless I tell them.
    • Other people should always be grateful becomes It's realistic to expect that not everyone will be as appreciative as I'd like them to be.
Judith S. Beck, Ph.D., The Beck Diet Solution (Pink book), pg 246.
Old 06-11-2015, 11:54 AM   #105  
Green Tomatoes

When my motivation dries up it's gone with the wind in every area -- health, work, community. To put a positive spin on that, at least I can't miss the signs! So, I want to play around today with thinking about how I can build resilience into my habits so they keep going even when I'm not in the mood.

WI: NC in kg, Exercise: +20 390/1300 minutes for June, Food: NA op, Read my Advantages and Responses: yes

Welcome, annbelievesinwhales!

Violette_R: I was also surprised when I stopped overeating to discover that it was masking actual hunger. It kind of made me feel a little less crazy.
Closed Thread