Beck Diet Solution A step-by-step program to learn specific techniques to stay on our diet, lose weight, and maintain our weight loss for life.

Closed Thread

Old 09-14-2014, 09:55 PM   #106  

S/C/G: 304/294/200

Hi everyone,

Hope everyone had a wonderful weekend. Love these fall days- crisp and cool. I did lots of spontaneous exercise today working out in the yard.

I had a really rough time with food Thursday and Friday. This weekend has been better. I am happy that a few of off days did not lead to a few off weeks (or months). I have worked on my eating plan, based on Beck's green book suggestions. I am committed to following my plan this week. One day at a time.

Credit today for planning tomorrow, making lunch to go to work, spontaneous and planned exercise, no sugar, eating on plan, and checking in with my coaches.

Old 09-14-2014, 11:03 PM   #107  
persist

S/C/G: 316/307/299

Height: 5' 6"

Smile day 26

Coaches

Closing in on a month OP. But I'll just take credit for 26 days today. Credit

I am weighing in less, focusing on my food behaviors more. I'm thrilled with that. While I know the scale is just information, it can be a big distraction and I don't want a distraction.

Today I cooked from scratch but it wasn't ready for supper so we had store bought stuff again. This will change tomorrow. Credit for planning ahead.

Another day not carving, but I did get more transferred to the block and have the final interior area worked out. I also saw the blocks of two of my fellow steamroller printers and mine is by far the most complicated. Seems to be the way I roll.

Bye for now.
Old 09-15-2014, 06:47 AM   #108  
Super Moderator

S/C/G: 239/173/165

Height: 5'9"

Thumbs up Monday

Diet Coaches/Buddies – The standard Sunday walk, CREDIT moi, but wearing a jacket against the cool weather. When having lunch (not dinner) on the patio, I also had to wear a jacket. Fall is approaching. My acceptance of it lags behind.

Food was on plan, CREDIT moi, for the 17th day. I used my allocated morning snack (that I'm prone to skip) to help ward off the desire to have a monster snack instead of a modest one. Homemade baba ganoush is a treat - albeit a caloric one.

onebyone – Yay for "complicated" - Ouch for "complicated." 26 Kudos for staying your path.

CeeJay - So good for the brain to know that you've made lunch for work - Kudos.

Debbie (Lexxiss) – Keeping my fingers crossed that your renters left the place in good condition. Can't wait to hear the story of how much renovation of a bathroom you can do in four days.

maryann - The trailer makes Star Trek Into the Darkness seem like an ideal recovery movie - whatever your DH is suffering from has got to be easier than what faces these guys.

nationalparker – The smell of fresh baked bread is so compelling; it must trigger our reptilian brains or something. [Yep, "Spy vs. Spy" still makes be burst out a laugh.]

Margaret (Nuxmaga) - Veggies topping on the pizza does feel good. I wish that pizza didn't have such appeal.

Readers -
Quote:
Day22 Say, Oh, Well, to Disappointment

When this happens, you'll need to remind yourself that you've freely chosen to diet. And having done so, you have another choice as well: You can either make yourself miserable by railing against the fates that "put you in this situation," or you can accept the disadvantage of dieting as a necessary means to an end. Once you truly accept that you need to follow the steps in this program, your struggles will diminish and dieting will become much easier.

Judith S. Beck, Ph.D., The Beck Diet Solution (Pink book), pg 179.
Old 09-15-2014, 09:08 AM   #109  

S/C/G: 177/177/145

Height: 5'2

Hi coaches!
Definitely fell off the bandwagon yesterday, but I kind of knew I would. Went with that terrible " I've already eaten too much, might as well keep going" thought at dinner, and even had one of those cupcakes I thought I could resist, after some other dessert, as a late night snack! I had a sudden allergic reaction or something, which definitely created the grumpy and less resistant feeling. Its much harder to eat well when I don't feel good.
Will go with the "oh well" lesson that Bill put up today, and get back on track. Still don't feel great today, but the big temptations are gone anyhow.

Maryann: I have the book Quiet as well, and have read parts of it- really good read. Its nice to see introverts getting recognized for the strengths we have, which doesn't always happen in this extrovert oriented world.
Old 09-15-2014, 11:10 AM   #110  

S/C/G: 173/181/ 165

Height: 5'6

Good morning, Coaches.

nationalparker: Do you make your own crust for chicken pot pie? I have just voyaged into quiche crust ( I am certainly no Julia Child but the boys don't complain.)

nuxmaga: Credit for tracking in the face of wasted calories. I did that yesterday as well. I have found a lot of success in telling the truth and then moving on.

BBE: 104 degrees here yesterday. Can you believe it? I would like to start wearing a jacket. The dust DH is facing while shaking the trees is daunting.

Ceejay and Curlypudge: Credit for back on track.

onebyone: credit for leaving the scale aside for a bit.

As for me, I feel like I have taken a solid step in combating my sleep issue. I ordered sleeprate.com sleep kit and strapped myself into a heart rate monitor last night. It sends info to my iPhone and after five days, will make a sleep plan for me. Already from last night I learned, I don't snore and I woke up 4 times instead of the 2 times I had thought. Although, I was in bed for 8 hours, I only slept 7. Credit for being proactive in the face of frustration.

Today, I am going to research if I can use this new monitor to assess calories burned in exercise.

Speaking of exercise. Read Beck day on making working out a priority. I do ebb and flow on this. Planned treadmill will make it three times this week. I know I am suppose to have a min of four. Oh well. There is always next week.

Last edited by maryann; 09-15-2014 at 11:11 AM.
Old 09-15-2014, 11:47 AM   #111  

S/C/G: 192/192/140

Height: 5'4"

Hi coaches! I'm still 100% on plan and I'm down a bit more in weight. I'm just 4/10ths of a pound away from reaching my first goal of 5 pounds. My reward for reaching that goal is a new charm for my bracelet.

Quote:
Originally Posted by maryann View Post
As for me, I feel like I have taken a solid step in combating my sleep issue. I ordered sleeprate.com sleep kit and strapped myself into a heart rate monitor last night. It sends info to my iPhone and after five days, will make a sleep plan for me. Already from last night I learned, I don't snore and I woke up 4 times instead of the 2 times I had thought. Although, I was in bed for 8 hours, I only slept 7. Credit for being proactive in the face of frustration.
Oooh, I am SOOOO interested in this. I haven't slept well in YEARS and I've always wondered how much that played into my overall health. If I go to bed at 8:00 pm (which isn't hard given my next statement), I sleep fairly well until around midnight when I start waking up every so often. If I go to bed later than 8:00 pm, I don't even get those 4 hours.
Old 09-15-2014, 09:32 PM   #112  
persist

S/C/G: 316/307/299

Height: 5' 6"

Thumbs up Day 27 OP- Day 1 carving

Coaches

*credit for staying on plan today. My supper was bigger than it has been for a while. I believe there were a few factors in making me feel I "needed" to feel extra full: I started my carving finally. And while it is going along really well, I have much to do and so I am both excited to get it done and afraid I won't get it done. I also found out for sure that I am not losing my studio space thank goodness. What a relief. It had been up in the air all summer and today I know I get to stay there AND I get to get rid of my locker as I have more storage space where the studio is--though my rent goes up the same amt as I was paying for the storage locker but my stuff is all in one space so that is great.
And I was really looking forward to my made from scratch dinner, postponed from yesterday. Plus DH sprung on me he was going out for monday night football with the guys from work to the Tilted Kilt-think Hooters sportsbar with school girl type uniforms but they are plaid kilts. Sigh. I don't mind that he goes there with his friends. I just like to spend time with him. Oh well.

I still stayed on my plan even if it went to the far end of full.

Thanks for reading.
Old 09-15-2014, 09:38 PM   #113  
Enjoying la bella vita

S/C/G: 28 pounds to go

Height: 5-4

Well, one day closer to the weekend... busy work day today, so at least it went quickly. Ate mostly OP today - breakfast and lunch were light and came home too hungry. Had planned on one serving of the dessert that was leftover ... and that's all that was left, so savored it. Nice to have no temptation - 260 calorie treat. Tomorrow's goal: eat more at lunch and not come home so hungry so I'm looking to nosh before dinner.

Autumn is here as well - I'm enjoying the cooler temps for sleeping, but in the 40s tonight - snuggle up in warm jammies weather.

Today our parents' home went on the market. Wishing for good karma with that.

For those who have strung together weeks of being on track - are you allowing any splurges in or staying pretty tight? I'm wondering if I'm too tough on myself in those regards.
Old 09-15-2014, 09:48 PM   #114  

S/C/G: 304/294/200

Hello everyone!

new2me2- congratulations for continuing to be 100% on plan and being down some more weight.

maryann - hope you get some answers with the sleep kit.

curlypudge - hello- I am not sure I have welcomed you yet- if not, WELCOME!!! Sorry for your hard day. I know the "keep on going" thoughts very well. I read the book Quiet and really enjoyed it. Count me in as an introvert who wouldn't have it any other way.

BillBlueEyes - I had to google bab ganoush. Wow- looks so good. Wondering if there is a way to lower the calories- am going to look for a recipe. DH and I have a running thing about eggplant- he does not love it so I am always looking for new ways to make it.

onebyone - so wonderful that you are almost at the one month OP. I know what an achievement that is.

nationalparker- I am also curious about what others are doing about splurges. Beck recommends 150 calories a day on anything we like but everything I want as a treat is way more than 150 calories. But I also wonder if I try to go too strict and if that leads to some of my problems staying on plan.

I had a good on plan day today. Stuck with my food plan, made a plan for tomorrow, got lunch ready for tomorrow, read advantage and response cards, did planned and spontaneous exercise, checked in with my coaches, and gave myself credit for all positive behaviour today.

Last edited by CeeJay; 09-15-2014 at 09:52 PM.
Old 09-15-2014, 10:28 PM   #115  
Practicing Imperfection

Hi All,
Much better food day today. Tracked calories - credit. Went grocery shopping and got healthy snacks for the week, including nuts and carrots for carrot sticks - credit. Went for a walk in the beautiful weather with DH - credit. Spent time in the studio, more grouting(I wish it counted as aerobic exercise!)
Old 09-15-2014, 11:41 PM   #116  
Jillian stole my abs!

S/C/G: 195.8/138/140

Height: 5'5"

I know, I rarely post here, but follow daily.

The sleep thing is an issue at my house. My Dh is such a restless/violent sleeper, it has taken a long time, for him to accept, that I did not go to the couch because I don't love him, but that I need some dang sleep! He is a restless sleeper, if disturbed, hits, kicks, and has literally shoved me off of the bed.

I have a little 18/24" part of a queen size bed, that I'm very careful to not overstep at night. Going to bed stresses me out!

We do talk about it, but once he's lights out, all bets are off. Aww well, is what it is.

Hope you get your issues worked out!
Old 09-15-2014, 11:46 PM   #117  

S/C/G: 202/ticker/135

Height: 5ft3in

Unhappy Still out here and still plugging away

Hi all coaches

I am just in work h*ll at the moment and need to have as little as possible on my to do list! But I am still trying and still sticking to plan and planning. And the weight is still bobbing up and down at the same place. I think I am going to have to go back and give 5:2 another go (not sure why I stopped but think it was the flu) but will wait until I get settle with this. Will be able to post soon

have a good day / week coaches

Last edited by GosfordGirl; 09-15-2014 at 11:46 PM. Reason: didn't know **** was a bad word
Old 09-16-2014, 05:52 AM   #118  
Super Moderator

S/C/G: 239/173/165

Height: 5'9"

Thumbs up Tuesday - Mayflower sails from Plymouth England on September 16, 1620

Diet Coaches/Buddies – Broke the 100% streak by falling for too much snack of FREE dark chocolate dipped biscotti. Ouch. Hate that. I have good resistance against such foods from my own pantry, but the FREE bit gets to me - as if I was destitute and needed free food to survive. I give myself CREDIT moi for meals on plan, anyway.

Exercise was a happy walk in the brisk air. I was on a mission; was late; so I had to hustle along. Brisk walking in brisk air is a pleasant combination.

onebyone – Yay for a winning solution to your studio space and storage space at the same time. And Kudos for those 27 days OP.

CeeJay - Kudos for a good day. [I'm sympathetic about hating eggplant. I hated it all my life until I had it one day wrapped in bacon cooked in bacon grease - sooooo good. I've since learned that I was in love with bacon and that eggplant had little to do with it - but the bit was set and I've enjoyed eggplant ptarmigan and other dishes since. All of them are high calorie with the eggplant contributing little.]

Cheryl (GosfordGirl) – Good luck getting through the difficult time at work.

maryann - Good luck on your quest to analyze your sleep. That looks interesting. It used to be that to study your sleep you had to spend nights at a sleep clinic for a week - a pricy exercise as well as inconvenient. It's neat that it uses Cognitive Behavioral Therapy for Insomnia (CBTI) - Aaron Beck is everywhere.

Donna (new2me2) - Kudos for accepting that you have to drop out at 8pm to get a solid four hours of sleep.

nationalparker – LOL at, "Had planned on one serving of the dessert that was leftover ... and that's all that was left, so savored it" - it's great when the only food available is the food on the plan. RE tracking: I cut myself a little slack for minor variations because when I go off plan it's not by half an apple, it's a whole snack of size. It's clear to me when I'm off.

janelle (shcirerf) - Yep, Super Kudos for taking action by doing that sleep monitoring. Hope you learn something that you can act upon.

Margaret (Nuxmaga) - Kudos for buying a bunch of healthy snacks for the week. Ouch for grouting - that's not my favorite activity.

curlypudge - Kudos for the commitment to get back on track.

Readers -
Quote:
Day22 Say, Oh, Well, to Disappointment

Just Say, Oh, Well
In 1994, I learned an important lesson about acceptance. That was the year my youngest child was put on an extremely strict diet to control epilepsy. It was a mainstream treatment, called the ketogenic diet, prescribed by his doctor. Thank goodness, it worked! For almost six years (most kids are on it for only two to three years), my son ate three meals a day and no snacks. Each meal consisted mostly of fat - heavy cream and mayonnaise, oil, or butter - with just a small amount of protein and an even smaller amount of carbohydrates. You can imagine why he's my hero. For almost six years, he did not have one bite of candy, cookies, ice cream, or any other treat that contained sugar. He never ate a whole piece of fruit, a whole piece of bread, or more than a couple of chips at a time. He never had seconds or ate between meals. Not once.

Judith S. Beck, Ph.D., The Beck Diet Solution (Pink book), pg 179.
Old 09-16-2014, 08:44 AM   #119  
GlenwoodHotSprings

S/C/G: 275/179/179

Height: 5'5"

Hi Coaches!

An alright day with food….I successfully navigated the grocery store coming up with my best choice of a frozen pizza, which I deliciously doctored at home. NSA ice cream with our frozen raspberries for dessert. I would have enjoyed something much more "comforting" but since I always read nutrition/calories (and am astounded) I was able to make a sensible choice. Credit. Today we start the bathroom project. I couldn't resist and drove up at 430 am. The tenants left the place pretty spotless (the best job I've seen in years) so we don't have to backtrack!

BBE, carry on! New streak starts today and kudos for 17 OP days!

Cheryl(GosfordGirl), thanks!!! For letting us know about your current work situation. Yes, it too shall pass, and doing your very best right now deserves great credit! (Hope you are still finding a moment to read every day)

Shcirerf, sorry about your sleep issue w/DH….very touchy situation, indeed. Kudos for doing your best to manage it.

Nuxmaga, yay for a better food day!

CeeJay, kudos for continued planning and checking in!

Nationalparker, I'm not one who strings together weeks of being on track AND I acknowledge that being too tough on myself is not the point. Foodwise, I try my very best everyday to stay within the parameters of my chosen food plan, which keeps me feeling healthy and energetic. I focus and praise my good behaviors/choices and continue working on the ones that need work. I look for progress not perfection. You've lost 20#, you fit into clothes that didn't fit for years, you have found a support group and work on new behaviors. Kudos kudos! As my crazy life continues to unfold one day at a time, I consider maintenance to be a wonderful place and am extremely grateful.

Onebyone, kudos for not letting DH's sportsbar eve be a reason to sway from your plan. Glad to hear your studio news!

New2me2, kudos for OP. Sorry to hear you have sleep issues, too.

Maryann, thanks for sharing your sleep monitoring….as you can see it is very helpful to others. Yay for so many angels and kudos for working so hard to get them!

Curlypudge, yay for back on track!
Old 09-16-2014, 08:51 AM   #120  

S/C/G: 177/177/145

Height: 5'2

Good morning coaches.
Feeling back on track today which feels good- stared one of my favorite ice cream flavors in the eye last night as I doled some out to DS and didn't eat any!
I have a feeling its going to be much harder to use my resistance muscle when I am really craving sweets so I am grateful for not feeling too tempted now!
The scale isn't budging though- I'm doing better with sweets but need to stop relying on cheese as a snack/quick protein fix.
Thanks for the welcome CeeJay! I know what you mean about treats, it is hard to keep it to 150 calories!

And for splurges-I think I too need a break to keep on track. I went two weeks on the South Beach diet one time and lost 6 pounds, then lost incentive. I'm hopeful this time I can stick with it longer, and planning a treat occasionally may help, as long as I don't get carried away.
The Abs diet for women seemed to advocate one splurge meal a week for this reason I think- I am dipping into this book slowly.
Closed Thread