Beck Diet Solution A step-by-step program to learn specific techniques to stay on our diet, lose weight, and maintain our weight loss for life.

Closed Thread

Old 09-03-2014, 05:06 AM   #16  

S/C/G: 202/ticker/135

Height: 5ft3in

Hi Coaches

Another on-plan day so credit for that - it feels good to stay on plan and to do the necessary planning and preparation. I have entered my food for today into MFP and all of tomorrow's food is in there already. I am cooking twice the amount for dinner so I can have it for lunch tomorrow. I still marvel at the amount of planning and preparation that this requires

No eating standing up - check; Weighed myself; checked in here.

BillBE - Credit using up food in a healthful way. And credit for 4 days of 100% OP!

Lexxiss - Yay for a useful distraction - doing something with your hands should fix it

New2me2 - sorry for the sorry state of your insides. Hope it all resolves soon

Gardenerjoy - Credit for all those steps - I really need to develop a stretching routine

Maryann - Yay for another angel. And Yay for all that coffee in the house again. Glad you have found a comfortable and personal best maintenance weight

Nationalparker - I use a reminder as well (when I remember ) - to get up every 25 minutes because that is what the research shows is important for insulin sensitivity and blood glucose stabilisation. The alarm goes off at 25 mins and tells you to have a 5 minute break (which means walking for 2 mins at least). Works well (when I do it).

CeeJay - Yay for using 'hunger is not an emergency'. Great list of credits and credit for being on plan again

Today:
- 193.6 pounds [-0.2]
- Logged my food in the morning for the day
- Under 40g CHO net
- Under 1500
- Not a lot of exercise
Old 09-03-2014, 06:44 AM   #17  
Super Moderator

S/C/G: 239/173/165

Height: 5'9"

Thumbs up Wednesday

Diet Coaches/Buddies Fifth day 100% on-plan, CREDIT moi. Dinner included 'sustainable swordfish' - according to Whole Foods fish section. Hard to believe that such large, grand fish are sustainable, but DW believes and she does the shopping. For lunch, I enjoyed my favorite sandwich in the whole world - peanut butter, pecans, and banana on a toasted sandwich thin.

Took three walks, CREDIT moi. Two were quickly abandoned due to sudden thunderstorms. The first two were without an umbrella since I, believing the newspaper weather prediction, walked protected only by a shirt. The third time I carried a large umbrella and not a drop fell. Naturally, I assigned cause and effect. DW loves the rain for her garden. At a Goodwill I picked up a large format book Down the Colorado: Diary of the First Trip Through the Grand Canyon by John Wesley Powell and Eliot Porter. I absolutely don't need this book; it just brought back warm memories and looked so inviting with its book cover intact.

Joy (gardenerjoy) Wish I was diligently doing some stretching. My concern is that slowly tightening muscles slowly reduce the amount of looking behind when backing up the car.

CeeJay - Kudos for "remembered that just because I was hungry, there was no emergency." I hate feeling hungry in a grocery store; my brain tends to cease working as I stare at cookies.

Debbie (Lexxiss) Love the notion of getting back to a fifteen year old project. I have a few of those around here.

Cheryl (GosfordGirl) I like being reminded that "it feels good to stay on plan and to do the necessary planning and preparation." Yep, it feels good.

maryann - Hosanna for another angel. By the by, has your area recovered from the quake? We don't hear anything about it anymore.

Donna (new2me2) - Ouch for a system out of whack. Neat idea to use a necessary trip to the mall to pick up 30 minutes of walking.

nationalparker Neat plan to drive to Niagara Falls. I've taken the walk down under the falls, but have never taken the boat ride at the bottom. I love the roar the water makes.

Readers -
Quote:
day 21 Get Ready to Weigh In

If it turns out that you've gained weight, ask yourself the following questions:

What do I need to review with my diet coach? Do I need his or her help in keeping this weight gain in perspective?

Judith S. Beck, Ph.D., The Beck Diet Solution (Pink book), pg 175.
Old 09-03-2014, 08:35 AM   #18  
GlenwoodHotSprings

S/C/G: 275/179/179

Height: 5'5"

Hi Coaches!

I've been keeping busy this morning getting household chores completed before meeting up with my buddy to head to homedepot. Today's project is sealing up our front and back doors. I'm tired of the old towel routine. Credit moi for planning ahead avoiding my annual "wish we'd have done this" thought as we get out our towels and watch the snow fall.
Spontaneous exercise this morning was to head downstairs and enjoy some warm memories pulling down my own copy of Down the Colorado: Diary of the First Trip Through the Grand Canyon. A beautiful book which I've lugged around for almost 30 years now. I've not been on the Colorado, although it flows through our town, but rafted the Yampa exiting on the Green somewhere past Echo Canyon. Thx BBE for the memories.

Food is carefully monitored one day at a time. Life is carefully monitored one day at a time. Sis has chosen our cancerclinic in my favorite town and I gifted her a poolpass yesterday. She went to her appt. and floated in a raft afterwards. If she has an appointment later this week I'll go over and float around, too.

gardenerjoy, yay for a new plan for tracking exercise! You rock!

CeeJay, kudos for new plans and resistance in action!

Cheryl(GosfordGirl), so awesome to make a reservation for a trip of a lifetime! The other details will work out!

maryann, super kudos for settling into your realistic maintenance plan. Dr Beck addresses the concept you've chosen in the Green book and I think you're spot-on!

Donna(new2me2), hope you're feeling better! Yay for mall-walking!

nationalparker, I'm so happy for you planning a trip to NiagaraFalls! Kudos for setting an appointment to walk every hour at work.
Old 09-03-2014, 10:07 AM   #19  
Green Tomatoes

I walked 8099 steps, stretched 15 minutes (in three 5-minute segments as breaks from too much sitting at my desk), and used MFP to estimate my calories. I'm pleased how well this is working for me!

nationalparker: I've been listening to Rick Steves' podcasts on my walks -- I just pretend that I'm seeing Westminster Abbey and its perpendicular gothic architecture over here, and then stopping at the gate of Downing Street a bit further down.

Like GosfordGirl, I use an alarm for 25 minutes to tell me when to take a break. Actually, I use it more to tell me to concentrate on the task at hand for 25 minutes and the break is a freebie that comes along with that. You might want to google "The Pomodoro Technique."

Last edited by gardenerjoy; 09-03-2014 at 10:09 AM.
Old 09-03-2014, 10:59 AM   #20  

S/C/G: 192/192/140

Height: 5'4"

Thanks everyone, feeling much better today and am back to work. Still feel like things might not be normal, but at least I'm not sweating when I stand up, lol. Still feeling a bit light-headed, but not like yesterday.

I spent the day mostly laying on the couch watching TV and getting a few little 5-10 minute naps in, which almost never happens to me.

nationalparker, the hunger practice went very well. I did finally eat something, but probably could have gone to bed just having eaten that small amount in the morning. It was a valuable lesson to remember. I've had to fast so many times for medical tests, etc., and I always seem to forget that I actually CAN be hungry with no dire consequences.
Old 09-03-2014, 10:03 PM   #21  

S/C/G: 304/288/200

Default Day 6 Done!

Hi everyone,

Hope everyone is having a good evening. All is well here. Credit today for weighing in (another pound down- love how fast the 1st five pounds go), reading advantage and response cards, doing planned exercise, checking in with my coaches, planning tomorrow and writing in my food journal.

A bit of a moment today when I went out to lunch with a coworker. I had planned that I would have the taco salad but when I walked into the restaurant I immediately started with the sabotaging thoughts- "I have been doing great", "Fries and a burger would be tasty", "Just this time and I will not do this again for awhile" etc. Credit for immediately realizing that these were sabotaging thoughts paving the way for going off plan. I thought about how disappointed I was going to be if I did this. I thought about how I could plan for fries and a burger another day, but if I was going to plan for this they were going to be the best fries and burger I could find, not the ones from this mediocre restaurant. Then I told myself to stop agonizing and stop thinking about this. Problem solved. Phew.

GosfordGirl- credit for your on plan day and for preparing for tomorrow. I agree about the large amount of planning eating healthy needs. I am trying my best to accept that I just need to do it. No choice.

BillBlueEyes-yay for your 5th day. I have never had swordfish. Any cooking tips?

Lexxiss-a poolpass is a lovely gift.

gardenerjoy-thanks for pointing towards the Pomodoro Technique- I am going to try this at work. I need to stop the long periods of sitting. I am sure my knee will be happier.

new2me2-good to hear you are feeling a bit better.

Old 09-03-2014, 10:59 PM   #22  
Practicing Imperfection

Hi All,
Weighed today for my first week back - down two pounds! I have tracked my food everyday, and the self awareness really helps me.

Went walking at Target because I was tired of the mall scenery.

DH wrote the grams of ingredients down for tonight's dinner. He is a credit unto himself! Of course he lost 5 pounds this week vicariously.
Old 09-04-2014, 12:02 AM   #23  
persist

S/C/G: 290/291/150

Height: 5' 6"

Thumbs up more

Coaches

A late checkin with you all. Still OP. Day 15 today. I have been challenged by the whole tax issue this week again by DH being cranky about it again and then today by an unexpected winfall that lightened the mood but made me feel grateful and guilty all at the same time. I didn't eat over it for either reason.

Not getting any work done around the house again and not making much progress with my next woodblock either. Sort of stuck before I start up. perhaps this is not stuck, just an R&R state of affairs. Hmmmm. Whatever it is tomorrow I am back to the ceramic room with my friends and our routine will start again. Grateful for the routine. And especially for the friends.

Have a good night, friends and coaches!
Old 09-04-2014, 04:07 AM   #24  
Super Moderator

S/C/G: 239/173/165

Thumbs up Thursday

Diet Coaches/Buddies Sixth day on-plan, CREDIT moi. Dinner was on the patio to bask in late summer warmth. DW's dish of white beans uses a large wad of Sage from our garden. Each year when we start the garden I stare at the barren Sage bush and wonder if it'll come back this year. It always does. It now sports several hundred dollars' worth of sage - as calculated by $3.99 per small clam shell at Whole Foods.

Did gym, CREDIT moi, using sufficiently large enough weights that I came home to have a whey protein shake which makes me feel like my muscles are growing. It's a great ego boost for a small cost in pennies and calories.

onebyone Life needs an "unexpected windfall" every now and then - glad you got yours when you needed a pick-me-up.

Joy (gardenerjoy) Kudos for sticking with your exercise regime.

CeeJay - Super Kudos for standing down the Sabotaging Thought to have a mediocre burger and fries by planning to have the best one available. [DW just grills swordfish on our Weber outside - it doesn't need any help.]

Debbie (Lexxiss) Yay for rafting in a pool while dreaming of rafting the Grand Canyon. Love reading that you've owned a copy of that book for 30 years.

Donna (new2me2) - Yay for feeling a little bit better. May robust come soon.

Margaret (Nuxmaga) - Congrats on those two pounds gone forever. LOL at "Of course he lost 5 pounds this week vicariously."

Readers -
Quote:
day 21 Get Ready to Weigh In

what are you thinking?
How do you feel about weighing yourself tomorrow: excited? anxious? fearful? Many dieters tell me that they fear the scale. If you do, too, you might think of excuses for not weighing yourself.

You may need to make Response Cards if you think you may have any of the following thoughts.

Sabotaging Thought: I don't need to weight myself. I'll know how I'm doing by how my clothes fit.
Helpful Response: It's important to learn the skill of using the number on the scale as information to guide my eating and exercise plans. I'm fooling myself if I think I can regulate myself without this information. If I'm like many dieters, I probably have a tendency to either overestimate or underestimate my weight, both of which can lead to negative consequences.

Judith S. Beck, Ph.D., The Beck Diet Solution (Pink book), pg 176.
Old 09-04-2014, 05:18 AM   #25  

S/C/G: 202/ticker/135

Height: 5ft3in

Hi Coaches

Stuck to plan today and am thinking about what I will eat tomorrow. No meals in MFP yet but hopefully by tomorrow when I have to eat it! My steps a bit down today because I was at my desk all day.

Weight continues to bob up and down around the same weight. Saw the GP today for some tests to see if there is a reason but I am sure it will not be a simple one - just keep plugging away and lose my usual 1 pound per month if that! People keep saying I am looking skinnier - but my waist has not reduced (and that is a really important health indicator). However some optimists say it is the last to come off - who knows - just keep at it.

Don't need to give an answer about the pilgrimage until early November so will continue to plan "as if" I am going

BillBE - 6 days on plan - yay. You are in the zone. My sage is not doing so well and it has no snow to deal with .

Debbie / Lexxiss - Great idea to give your sister a poolpass. Terrific that she can be nearby in a treatment place you know. You did well to solve a long term annoyance.

Gardenerjoy - you are doing well with the steps. You are making me think I need more time to think about stretching. Yes - I too use the Pomodoro technique - it keeps me at the desk when I am doing something irksome (like grade papers relentlessly and want to get up for anything), and gets me moving every 25 minutes when I am engrossed in something. So does double duty. For those who are interested I use a timer app from mytomatoes.com and it is brilliant

Donna (New2me2) - Glad you are mending and that the hunger experiment went well and reminded you of times you have avoided starvation

Ceejay - Credit for an on-plan day. Love the example of beating down sabotaging thoughts - how many times have I been there...

Nuxmaga - your DH seems like a useful fellow indeed. Credit for turning shopping into an opportunity for extra activity

Onebyone - Wow - 15 days on plan - that must feel so good. Hope you get through the tax issues. I got mine finished and feel so much better. Will feel even better when I get the rebate

Today:
- 194.4 pounds [+.8]
- Logged my food
- Under 40g CHO net
- Under 1400
- Gym tomorrow
Old 09-04-2014, 09:03 AM   #26  
GlenwoodHotSprings

S/C/G: 275/179/179

Height: 5'5"

Hi Coaches!

Yesterday was OP. Lunch was at WhFoods where I continue to make good choices. Dinner was organic cantaloupe from a farmers market and my evening snack. "Stuff" kept coming up and it got too late to cook a proper meal. I continue to weigh every day, and as always I bounce around but am staying within my acceptable maintenance zone. Credit.

Things are happening a day at a time here as my sisters treatment plan is developing and on the other hand I need to look at my own future schedule and try to keep ahead and plan stuff in advance. Yesterday it was decided I'd head over poolside w/mom and sis for her appointments today/tomorrow and that DH would finish work weatherproofing our exterior doors then come over tomorrow. That will give sis and I time to ourselves to get a bedroom set up for her and she can comfortably use the master bath tonight since we still haven't replaced the "exploding toilet". I think that will happen tomorrow.

What comes to my mind from all my 12step stuff is to remain faithful and flexible.

Cheryl(GosfordGirl), I don't understand at all but I can drop a size with clothing and not lose more than a pound. I still consider that a big success. My middle is definitely the last to come off. I think part of the problem is that I do lose some there but the rest settles and I don't see big inches coming off. For me, it is what it is. I just need to keep sticking with my plan. I know I am getting healthier. I also find it difficult to maintain a lower weight at first, yet the longer I maintain that weight the easier it becomes. It seems that is my body resetting to a lower weight but it takes me several months. You're on the right track. Credit. You've lost a lot already. Marvel in that accomplishment as you move forward in the present moment.

Take care everyone! I must keep moving here this morning.
Old 09-04-2014, 10:10 AM   #27  
Green Tomatoes

I walked over 10,000 steps yesterday, even with a shorter walk. It takes a lot of steps to get ready for the cleaning crew. Imagine how many steps the crew takes in a day! I also got in my 15 minutes of stretching and logged my estimated calories.

I used pomodoros yesterday to write my last book review before the trip (I have several pre-scheduled to post while I'm gone).
Old 09-04-2014, 10:40 AM   #28  
Enjoying la bella vita

S/C/G: high water mark/working on it

Height: 5-4

Missed checking in yesterday - should have at work before heading out, but once home, I decided to not fire up the laptop at all, not even to check a recipe. Was trying to amp up some of our meals, flavor-wise, and I find I'm so much more satisfied with a healthy, whole meal even if it has butter and/or olive oil, and the scale doesn't seem to object. Snacking is greatly reduced when meals are satisfying - why did it take me so long to get there? I don't think I'm one for whom 4-5 small meals works because the small meals aren't small enough.

Prepped dinner of bruschetta (DH helped chop up everything - big appreciated help), romano chicken Ina Garten's way and it came out so tender and flavorful, not dry and overcooked my typical way; and parmesan half baked potato - new recipe that came out very good and nice to just want a half of a smallish baked potato and be satisfied.

Day 6 on my challenge and so far, so good ... we've walked the trail at night the past few nights and enjoyed the time together. Two nights ago it was so foggy, early, it was like hiking in Maine Good talks when we're out walking with no distractions of stores, people, etc. We talk about life and experiences and not "look at this" or "did you see that"? Today's challenge will be another healthy homecooked meal, a trail walk preceded by stretching (thanks, Joy, for the reminder that I need to build that into my day). Brought lunch in order to not be tempted alone by chips at Subway, and can save the $ and put in our trip envelopes. Yes, $7 ... every little bit counts.

DH fixed my bike - I asked him what was wrong and he said buying a bike with speeds for me was wrong. Humpf. But, grudgingly, I agree, I just want to pedal and not mess with anything else... so will take it out on the weekend and see how it goes. I am just hesitant to ride that dang thing because I'm afraid of falling off and not being able to get my feet on the ground quickly. Unbased fear that needs to be quashed. Temps to drop more than 20 degrees over the weekend. That will CERTAINLY be my challenge to myself on Saturday if it's not raining.

Bill - you cracked me up on the sage value!

Aiming for personals before leaving work ... might have back-to-back posts. Sorry!
1:30 p.m. - REALLY struggling with wanting to get an order of kettle chips from our cafe. Asked a few folks if they'd split it but they have cake on their desk. That's not a temptation for me but the chips, available fresh every day, are. I allow myself to have them once a season and it's been months, but not planned. Should eat my apple. I am actually not even hungry if I think about it. No choice. No choice.

Last edited by nationalparker; 09-04-2014 at 01:32 PM. Reason: temptation confession
Old 09-04-2014, 10:48 PM   #29  

S/C/G: 304/288/200

Default Day 7 Done!!

Hi everyone,

Things are going great. I have been sitting here for a few minutes letting it really sink in that I have done 7 days on plan and healthy. This is pretty major for me. Hoping that letting the good feelings "stew" for a bit will help me do another week.

Credit today for planning tomorrow's food, making lunch to take to work tomorrow, weighing in, reading advantage and response cards, doing planned and spontaneous exercise, writing in food journal, checking in here and eating healthy and onplan.

Nuxmaga- hurray for 2 pounds gone.

onebyone- Day 15 must feel great!

BillBlueEyes- LOL re the price of sage. I dry oregano, thyme, parsley, marjoram and basil each year and it tastes great and saves on herbs during the winter. I am going to try drying mint this year for tea and see how that goes.

GosfordGirl- good advice about just keep plugging away.

Lexxiss- thanks for the reminder that things happen as they happen and that's OK.

gardenerjoy-10000 steps is fantastic.

nationalparker- I agree totally about eating great meals. When I cook tasty, healthy meals that are interesting and different I am much more able to withstand urges to snack.

Have a great day tomorrow everyone.

Old 09-04-2014, 11:42 PM   #30  
persist

S/C/G: 290/291/150

Height: 5' 6"

Thumbs up op once more - Day 16

Coaches

My first 15 days were relatively easy to be OP. Today my portions got bigger
and I felt the return of the More Monster. Oh well. This is me. This is what happens to me. And it's not a reason to overeat. Not a reason to not be OP.
I just need to release some emotional energy and I need to get moving on some thign sthat are bugging me-procrastinating over wanting to do it right aka do it perfectly/the best way ever is making the food thoughts stronger.

Tomorrow I will take some action and lessen my inner stress and feel some accomplishmnet again!

VERY exhausted so I will say good night.
Closed Thread