Beck Diet Solution A step-by-step program to learn specific techniques to stay on our diet, lose weight, and maintain our weight loss for life.

Closed Thread

Old 06-21-2012, 12:20 PM   #136  
persist

S/C/G: 316/307/299

Height: 5' 6"

Talking No need

Coaches!

I am happy to report no official weight change this week at my weigh in. Once more my feelings (omg I am sure I gained weight this week--I don't even want to go weigh in) were not fact. I had no change at all. Exactly the same. I ate a lot this week. I did an experiment to "eat all my activity points and see what happens". Well, what happens is I stay the same. So this week's goal is to not eat my activity points and to attempt to stay within my daily point allotment trying to dip into my weekly points only if truly necessary. Seems complicated when you write it down but it's not. This whole WW thing is growing on me again. I was a little meh about it the last two months but I can feel the light is on again. I think this is DIRECTLY related to me dealing with my environent and facing issues that need to be faced head on and geez Louise I am so tired of always worrying about "the house" and "the mess". I pretty much have been worrying about that for as long as I've worried about "my weight". It is sooooooo time to get past these things and move on! As I am pushing 50, ugh don't tell, I need all my available energy for making Art and for reaching Big Goals. I don't need this old stuff keeping me down any more. I'll even suffer "turkey neck" if that's what it comes to.

Happy Summer to the Northern Hemisphere Beckies!

Happy Winter to the Southerners!
Old 06-21-2012, 02:01 PM   #137  

S/C/G: 138/137/120 ...CBF 33%/GBF 20%

Height: 5'6"

In the pink book, today is the day I'm supposed to find a diet coach. Since no one has cursed me out or asked me to leave, I believe I have this one covered. Thank you

Moving on to Day 7 - Arrange Your Environment. So far I have decided the following:

Work - Don't bring change or ones to work. Not having money for the vending machine will drastically reduce my chances of getting anything out of it. To deal with the treats that often get brought in, I will allow myself to bring home one portion of one food to eat the next day as my planned treat. All the food is always in the kitchen so avoiding the kitchen when I'm feeling anxious is also part of the plan.

Home - I moved my husband's snack foods to the cabinet above the microwave. This way I won't accidentally see them unless I'm looking for spices to cook with, at which point I'm not going to be leaning over to the top shelf and risk burning myself on the hot stove.

Has anyone else had effective ways of arranging their environment? I'm drawing a blank for more ideas.

I give myself credit for eating lunch at the table today, especially when the couch and computer are so tempting. I also give myself credit for having an apple (and sharing it with my son) to appease my sweet tooth. My sabotaging thought was that one cookie wouldn't really be any more calories than an apple, but I reminded myself that I rarely stop at one cookie. At the same time, I don't remember ever eating more than one apple in a single sitting.

After lunch I opened the fridge, saw an open bottle of skim milk and thought that I need to buy some cookies so I don't waste the milk. I had to laugh at myself for that sabotaging thought. Buying the cookies would waste both the milk and the cookies. Maybe I'll use the milk for oatmeal for breakfast tomorrow or something else that would be more in line with my goals.
Old 06-21-2012, 03:12 PM   #138  
newlifestyle

S/C/G: 250/200/177

Height: 5' 3"

Hello everyone, I haven't been here in so long and it shows on my scale.
I have decided to get real with my weight and my goals. I find I am so focused on the legalities of losing weight rather than the happiness that I will feel if I get healthy. My two food plans will be calorie counting and my plan b will be ww. I feel overwhelmed coming back and having gained weight. I don't like that feeling of being human and making mistakes. Well here is to a new learning experience.
Take Care
Ann
Old 06-22-2012, 12:04 AM   #139  
GlenwoodHotSprings

S/C/G: 275/179/179

Height: 5'5"

Hi Coaches!

Well I found the perfect day to revisit the hunger experiment. I had my morning smoothie at 8am...it's 10pm and the experience of going an entire day without eating didn't affect me at all. I did pick up an organic apple/mint 100% juice at the CSA store and enjoyed it in the car at 5pm.

Did I mention what an interesting day it turns in to when your DH has a medical crisis and his Dr. is 150 m. one way?? I was concerned this morning about "blood clot" as he was experiencing excruciating pain and his injured food was swollen and he couldn't walk. Our only other option was the "big city" ER. He begged me not to take him there. So exactly 11 hours (and 300 miles) later we are home...An ultrasound found no thrombosis. He was diagnosed with gout, which I did not know is common post-surgery, especially with knee surgery. I can't figure out why they did not tell us this...he was eating all the wrong things.

This may work out in my favor...he is swearing off junk food, including chips and sugary items. He said he never again wants to feel the pain he had this morning.

I could just go to bed but DH is resting comfortably(already 100% better with the gout medication) and I have bags and bags of fresh organic produce. I really want a big salad. I think I will stay up and enjoy one.

g-night.

PS. spontaneous exercise today was pushing DH 2 long blocks in a wheelchair in 95 degree weather for his ultrasound, walking another 4 blocks for his prescriptions, then returning for the car. It was much easier than getting him in and out of the vehicle an extra time.

I am glad this day is over but am grateful for continued health which allows me to "show up" when these things happen.

Last edited by Lexxiss; 06-22-2012 at 12:10 AM.
Old 06-22-2012, 06:13 AM   #140  
Super Moderator

S/C/G: 239/173/165

Height: 5'9"

Thumbs up Friday

Diet Coaches/Buddies - Was a good enough food plan day, CREDIT moi. Lunch at a restaurant with old friends could have been better - a grilled Ruben sandwich. If I could have figured out how to leave with half of it I'd have been better off. I did ignore the bread and butter that we sat in front of for half an hour. I skipped afternoon snack as a token compensation. I walked to a place giving a FREE iced coffee - I've never tried iced coffee. It's not for me; hot coffee is so good and iced tea is so good it's just not needed. The Barista wouldn't believe me that I'd never had iced coffee before. I didn't know it had become that common.

Exercise was walking, CREDIT moi, that included a trip to Whole Foods to pick up one item. I planned to walk directly to it and then to checkout; this I did, CREDIT moi, without even going near the FREE samples. High temperature was in the 90's so I changed clothes a few times during the day.

onebyone – Kudos for going to your weigh in despite your feelings, as well as for your Environmental Maintenance work.

Joy (gardenerjoy) – This is such a good one, "2. Cereal is a breakfast food, not a snack." I still have positive memories of a box of cereal being passed around the car while we were returning from an adventure with the two kids. But now cereal as a snack just opens the brain to want more cereal. Kudos for doing the Seven Questions Technique and for making a response plan.

Debbie (Lexxiss) – Monster Kudos for having evolved to being the person who could take on your eleven hour journey. Gout just isn't on my radar; I agree a warning from the doctors was in order for that. Glad your DH had medicines to relieve the pain.

maryann - Hope you're reading this from Vermont.

Tazzy - Gladly emailing Boston's excess heat to your corner of Canada. Ouch for your duration of soft foods; at least you know this phase will end.

Ann (Newlifestyle) - Neat point to shift from the legalities of losing weight to the joy of a more healthy life style. Kudos for joining the "being human and making mistakes" crowd - we're certainly experienced in that around here.

Susan (hikergirl) – Ouch for too much yogurt. Hopefully your bones will grab all that good calcium.

Yanna - Great point, we seldom have an unplanned second apple. Yep, that one's covered; the agreement around here is that we'll all be your online Diet Coach if you'll play that role for us.

Readers -
Quote:
chapter 6 Stage 3 The Challenging Situations Plan
Confidently Follow Your Plan While Traveling
Create a Travel Mindset.

You will need some strong responses to counteract sabotaging thoughts. Think back to trips in the past. Can you remember losing control of your eating and then feeling guilty and frustrated with yourself - if not while you were away, then when you came back and got on the scale? Or have you ever come back and avoided the scale for the next few days or weeks? Was it worth it? Some dieters report that they had done so well on diets until they traveled. Then they got off track and were unable to get themselves back on a diet for a very long time.

Judith S. Beck, Ph.D., The Complete Beck Diet for Life (Green book), pg 158.
Old 06-22-2012, 10:04 AM   #141  
Green Tomatoes

I need to work a little more with the Justification sabotaging thought.

One form it takes for me is Compensation. I don't want to write, but I'm going to, so I should get to eat cookies. That's a scheme that I came up with in college and have used on and off since then.

The startling realization that I had yesterday is that it doesn't work. This would be a difficult problem to solve if, in fact, cookies increased word count. But, they don't. I wrote fewer words and quit earlier than I would have without the cookies.

I think that it's the attitude that clusters with that sabotaging thought and behavior. If I need Compensation cookies to write, then I'm going in to the project with an attitude of resignation. Resignation will get me started on a project, but it won't take me through the collapse of the sugar rush, the completion of the initial idea, and the disappointment that the last paragraph could have been written by a whiny sixth grader. With an attitude of resignation, I'll just pack it in and try another day.

If, instead, I follow my food plan and resist opportunities to stray from it, I'm summoning an attitude of determination. With determination, there is no sugar rush and I can push my way onto a second idea after the first and rewrite bad writing or ignore it and move on.

Here are the new responses I'm putting on my response list:
  • Compensation cookies negatively correlate to word count.
  • Compensation Sabotaging Thought = Resigned attitude = bad for projects
  • Staying on plan = Determined attitude = good for projects

Last edited by gardenerjoy; 06-22-2012 at 10:05 AM.
Old 06-22-2012, 07:16 PM   #142  

S/C/G: 138/137/120 ...CBF 33%/GBF 20%

Height: 5'6"

Yesterday, I was craving a snack at 3pm, but knowing I was not really hungry I reminded myself that it would be better to wait until 4pm when I was supposed to have my pre-work dinner. It worked out very well and I wasn't hungry for my evening snack until 7:30. However, after several stressful situations I stress ate after I got home from work.

Today has not been a great day. Too much to do and I reverted back to my old ways (fast food lunch, eating mindlessly, eating when I was already full, tasting lots of food while standing and avoiding dealing with incorporating all the methods I've been learning). Feeling pretty crummy and exhausted. I've started working on my time planning, which is today's task, but I've been feeling overwhelmed trying to plan for all the million little things I do during the day. To make it easier on myself I think I need to focus on fitting in the big items that I was ignoring before (meal planning, exercise, etc.), knowing that the other things will get done as needed. The laundry or taking care of my son will get done whether it's on the list or not. In case you haven't noticed, I have the tendency to stress myself out about things unnecessarily because I over-think everything!

I give myself credit today for ...
- getting up early and going for a walk with my dog
- not taking a nap
- taking the time and effort to experiment with a bread recipe, even though it did not turn out so good

Hopefully, I'll be in a better mood by next post! Tomorrow is an all day work day for me. I won't have a lot of time to overeat, but I will have to remember my plan of bringing any treats home for the next day, rather than eating them on the spot.
Old 06-22-2012, 07:42 PM   #143  
persist

Exclamation sneaky.

Coaches

Here I was composing my note and it completely slipped my mind that I ate 4 "bits" of pastries at the Guild this morning. I didn't even add it to my tracker today until now. I just wiped it clear out of my head! Wow.

I think this is a good time to temper this with a *credit* for weighing in: 256.6 this morning on the wii fit. This is the 2nd lowest number I have reached since weighing myself for a few years now on there. My lowest is 255something so this is very encouraging. Inspite of my grazing/surging bingey behaviour-urges this afternoon I have stopped and I have had dinner and the kitchen is closed. My out of control eating ran to peaches and raspberries.

Today I was tired and it surprised me. I wanted food to fix tired. I also wanted it to take away the stuff that I had to do, but it didn't do that either.

I'm going to take *credit* for four nights of a clean sink.

Ok going to vegout a bit before I have to pack the car for the market tomorrow.

Have a great evening.
Old 06-23-2012, 05:53 AM   #144  
Super Moderator

Thumbs up Saturday

Diet Coaches/Buddies - Eating on plan, CREDIT moi, included spending an hour at the table with friends discussing vacations without having one single madeline. That was special because they appealed as a rare treat. They aren't rare - these had been purchased at Whole Foods by my DW. But I clearly wasn't drawn to eating one; I wanted a handful, and I knew this. So I double dog planned to have none and joyfully ate the fruit salad they were served with. Pastry desserts are a slippery slope for me.

Exercise was gym, CREDIT moi. The plumbers continue to install a ceiling air conditioning unit in an increasing large portion of the gym, giving opportunity to the Sabotaging Thought to just skip it. Benches and dumbbells are jumbled about so it was an effort to find the equipment I needed. An effort yes, justification to quit NO. Also got outside to water the garden to fight the 90+ degree Fahrenheit weather without rain that we're experiencing.

onebyone – Congrats on that low wii fit reading. LOL at "I wanted food to fix tired." I do know that feeling that food is the solution to whatever's the problem.

Joy (gardenerjoy) – Amazing series of insights: cookies don't increase word count; resignation decreases productivity; determined attitude improves both. Just amazing. I've never so honestly confronted that stuffing cookies didn't help with the task at hand.

Yanna - Neat that you confronted that craving for a snack with the Helpful Response that you would have a planned meal in an hour. Beck writes about doing exactly that. Kudos. And Kudos also for giving yourself credit for the bread experiment that failed. We are so reluctant to take credit for experiments that successfully demonstrate what won't work so that a better choice can be made.

Readers -
Quote:
Create a Travel Mindset.

To travel successfully, you will probably need to repeatedly read many of the Response Cards from earlier in this chapter and this book. In addition, here is a special travel-oriented Response Card:
TRAVEL RESPONSE CARD
It's worth it to me to stay in control while I'm away.
The consequences of getting out of control are too
severe. If I cheat, it will put a damper on the trip.
I'll feel guilty and bad about myself. I'll be strength-
ening my giving-in muscle. If I stand firm, I can still
enjoy every bite of food I plan to have and I'll feel good
about myself both on the trip and when I return home.
Judith S. Beck, Ph.D., The Complete Beck Diet for Life (Green book), pg 158.
Old 06-23-2012, 09:47 AM   #145  
Green Tomatoes

I ate a bit closer to plan yesterday, but it happened in an odd way. I ate my lunch and both of my afternoon snacks within an hour of each other. But then I was full and when the normal times for my afternoon snacks came along, I was able to skip them. I was hungry as supper approached but talked back the urge to snack with hunger is not an emergency and supper will be ready soon. Credit for that.

Unfortunately, then I ate more than planned at supper.

Still, it's progress. And opens up the notion in my mind that there may be days when three meals with no snacks works better for me.
Old 06-23-2012, 08:19 PM   #146  
newlifestyle

Hello everyone.
I was so busy yesterday I didn't post.
I had a great OP day yesterday and today. I am adding more protein to my eating as I don't really enjoy many proteins this is something I need to focus on.
I ran around the pool for a half hour and it felt so good with the heat we have been having.
I love that new thread about decluttering. I was just wondered how did you each figure out where to start. I feel overwhelmed and it seems like if only I could figure out a plan I can start getting this place more organized. I find that my son has taken over the house and I need to regain control of the house. If anyone has any advice they can offer me to help me get started, it would be greatly appreciated. Thank you for all the great info in this thread.
Have a great night.
Ann
Old 06-23-2012, 08:50 PM   #147  
persist

Thumbs up check-in

Coaches

8:28pm on this glorious day here in the northern hemisphere.

I'm very tired. I'm about to make an evening snack, clean up the kitchen, choose my jpg of the day and do my writing exercise. That's all that's left to do.

*credit* for going to Winners, where most food offerings are rare and unusual amidst their rare and unusual clothes and home furnishings, and bypassing the vast variety of snacky things. I carried some veggie chips around at first then reminded myself that I really want to fit those linen pants I bought at Costco about a month ago before my stall started. I tried them on the other day and the pockets aren't gaping as much as they were so it's happening, I'm getting closer to wearing them for real, but not if I extinguish whatever weightloss was occuring in my body due to the hard labour of setting up and tearing down my market booth with a 170g bag of veggie chips (whose main ingredient was potato followed by potato starch--what veggies??).
Instead I bought a "house dress", sleeveless (horrors! I have never worn sleeveless!), horizontal (don't large ladies only wear vertical to slim them??) orange (so bright you're drawing so much attention to yourself!) stripes, t-shirt fabric (where's the support in that kind of fabric?), the *exact* kind of thing I'd like to wear. I won't wear it outside without a cover-up of some kind, but I am wearing it freely around the house. And as I type this to you I have it on. *credit* for not waiting until I get thin to be the person I want to be.

I also tried on 4"+ cork platform sandals (!) and walked around in the shoe aisle with them just to see if I could still do that after years/decades of running shoes and little heels. I used to dance in stilhettos, and I don't really like little heels truth be told. Before I die I want those high heel shoes once more darn it. So, *credit* for allowing myself a little bit of that too. I didn't buy them as they aren't in the budget but it was great to give them a test drive.

Foodwise I had a special market treat for breakfast and then I was surprised to discover it was the 10th birthday of the market, so someone dropped off a piece of free cake and someone else made every vendor a small red velvet muffin with cream cheese icing and a fondant radish on top. I had both. I've tracked it. After I got home we went out for a mid-day meal which I knew would double for my dinner. So I'm having a small snack to avoid being way way to hungry. I don't want to feel deprived or trigger backlash in me somehow. *credits* for tracking, staying aware and making conscious choices, posting to my coaches, plus keeping my sink clean overnight again + meeting my other daily tasks.

Life is good.

Big Credit to my DH who, when he saw how tired I was last night, pitched in to help make sure the kitchen and sink were clean. He's a good guy my DH. He likes this clean-up change as well.

Bye for now.

Last edited by onebyone; 06-23-2012 at 08:52 PM.
Old 06-24-2012, 05:23 AM   #148  
Super Moderator

Thumbs up Sunday

Diet Coaches/Buddies - New Jersey blueberries have arrived - just pure joy. Eating was on plan, CREDIT moi, with an abundance of blueberries. DW was annoyed that the dinner she made was too many veggies without a 'starch' - that oldie fashioned requirement for a balanced meal. So I had way too much broccoli - sue me, LOL.

Minor exercise. I watered our community vegetable garden - failing to note the rainstorm that started within an hour. Oh Well. I picked the last of the Sugar Snaps.

onebyone – Kudos for carrying the notion of your goal pants to keep the motivation. And Super Kudos "for not waiting until I get thin to be the person I want to be."

Joy (gardenerjoy) – Yay for continuing to be mindful of adjusting your eating plan.

Ann (Newlifestyle) - A pool sounds like the ideal place to be in this heat wave. You might try a local plan for one small area, say a closet or a bookcase. My only advice is to have a firm strategy for making stuff leave the premises since shuffling from room to room just delays the problem. For many folks that's obvious, but I'm capable of shuffling and shuffling without decreasing.

Readers -
Quote:

The Travel Calories Decision.

Make an important rule for yourself, similar to the Special Event Calories decision. Be prepared before the next time you travel. You can opt to:
o Follow your Think Thin Eating Plan as is.
OR
o Eat up to 300 extra Travel calories as often as every day you are away (for not more than a week and as long as you plan in advance how to use the extra calories).
Judith S. Beck, Ph.D., The Complete Beck Diet for Life (Green book), pg 159.
Old 06-24-2012, 06:33 AM   #149  
newlifestyle

I love seeing all the fresh fruits and vegetables at the market. It is funny how there were certain fruits and veggies I didn't think I liked. I was just trying them out of season so they didn't have the best taste, as I am trying them once again I realize how enjoyable they are.

Bill, too much broccoli sounds delicious. Growing up I did not like broccoli, my mother would overcook it and it was all mushy. Once I had it not so mushy I enjoyed it. Thanks for the beck quotes at the bottom of your posts.
Wow, that is my problem, I move the clutter from one room to another, you are right, I need to move it right out of this house. How many things does a 9 year old boy need? People keep giving us things for him. I think I need to learn to say no thank you.

Onebyone, you make things sound so fun. I really don't like shopping but when I read about your shopping at winner's it sounds like you make things fun. I wish I were brave enough to wear a sleeveless dress/shirt even in my house. I am always worried someone is going to knock on the door and see me like that. Funny as I am typing this I realize I wear my bathing suit in the back yard and I just never considered people can see me out there...wow an Aha moment. (thank you)

Gardenjoy- thank you for your post, it reminds me that we are all works in progress. I have that all or nothing mentality,,,, baby steps.

It is a beautiful day here right now so I am going to go for a walk. I hope you all have a wonderful day and thank you for your posts, they are inspiring to me at this time.

Ann

Last edited by Newlifestyle; 06-24-2012 at 06:45 AM.
Old 06-24-2012, 07:34 AM   #150  
GlenwoodHotSprings

S/C/G: 275/179/179

Height: 5'5"

Hi Coaches!

Food and mindfulness has been pretty spot on lately, which I will credit my persistance with Beck skills. I am planning nutritionally for two now, since Kirk's food choices are very important and he's in the learning phase. I've been reclaiming the kitchen this morning and found myself pondering on two almonds left in a bag on the counter. I finally scooped them up and put them back in the jar in the freezer. credit.

We're going to brunch this morning, a belated Father's Day. A buffet, I will have to serve Kirk as well as myself. We both have a plan, which includes moderation AND abstinance from foods that don't serve either one of us well.

I ran up the stairs*credit* to weigh this morning before coffee and was rewarded with a favorable number.

BBE, ah, an overabundence of broccoli and blueberries! What a great life!

Ann(newlifestyle), join us on the decluttering thread, if you wish. I've been at it awhile and could offer a few suggestions on how to get started. back and credit for reincorporating Beck into your life.

gardenerjoy, yay for the persistance required to get back into the groove after vacation.

onebyone, credit for mindfulness and restraint yesterday regarding those awful chips! Veggie chips did not fool you! Kudos for purchasing such an awesome dress! I do that at home,too, and it's such a great feeling!

Quote:
Originally Posted by hikergirl View Post
Lexxis: what is the prognosis for your husbands injury? Please do not feel that you have to answer this.
I don't mind your asking at all The recovery time for this injury is 6 months. His leg is kept straight except when manipulated at PT. The quadracep needs to "atrophy" in order to heal 100%. He has had a miraculous recovery from the gout, which he is taking medication for AND we've switched his diet in a major way. He is feeling great now, and is very mobile when compared with his condition on Thursday.
Closed Thread