Beck Diet Solution A step-by-step program to learn specific techniques to stay on our diet, lose weight, and maintain our weight loss for life.

Closed Thread

Old 06-03-2012, 06:04 AM   #16  
Super Moderator

S/C/G: 239/173/165

Height: 5'9"

Thumbs up Sunday

Diet Coaches/Buddies - It rained all day, cancelling an event on the Charles River with good music, performances, exhibits - stuff that encourages lots of fun walking. When it finally slowed down enough, I walked, CREDIT moi, to Whole Foods practicing my mantra That's Not About Me the whole way with the plan for one (1.0) FREE fruit sample at the door and ignore the rest. Did that, but then encountered FREE Portuguese Fish Stew samples. <sigh> . . . I ruled that rare and unusual (I've only had it once before in my life) and had the sample. Good enough. I counted nine other samples that I ignored. That felt good since I've been having a problem with their FREE samples recently.

Food was on plan, CREDIT moi, helped by having no dried fruit or nuts in the house since they've been the target of my over snacking. At one point when I was feeling a little cabin fever since I couldn't go out in the rain, I had a glass of water which resolved the desire for a snack. I need to remember that one more often.

onebyone Thanks for posting the link to the Beck worksheets. Perhaps the part that stays the same as your weight changes is that you still have to face the challenges of today. Kudos for confronting the body image issues arising from your new shape. I hit that when I had to deal with my negative feelings that I had nice smooth skin when stretched out by fat, which then reduced to age-appropriate unsmooth skin.

Debbie (Lexxiss) Yay for your DH having successful surgery and then surviving a drive over the top of the Rocky Mountains. Kudos for making a "better choice" when options were limited. I Amazon'd Dansko clogs - all you need to add is a pole across your shoulders to look like a proper Dutch lady.

Beverlyjoy Ouch for the rain delay on smores. I saw smores wrapped in plastic packages at Whole Foods yesterday and was offended. They are only allowed when constructed at campfires at night. I also like your insight that you don't have to track your DH's eating.

Woodland - Kudos for attending to the Sabotaging Thoughts issue. I continue to be startled by the stuff one network of neurons will throw up to challenge the others. It's not a united congress up there. Glad to hear that you're lurking when you're not posting.

Tammy (CatholicCajun) Neat to just accept, "one day is up and another down" - equanimity is a good start to most things dear. Enjoying the image of picking up a gazebo and moving it.

Readers -
Quote:
chapter 6 Stage 3 The Challenging Situations Plan
challenging situations skills
Special Advice for Entertaining at Home
Here are some ideas for you to consider:
. . .
Give away the leftovers. Have containers and food storage bags on hand, and ask people to take the extra food that you think will be too tempting.

Judith S. Beck, Ph.D., The Complete Beck Diet for Life (Green book), pg 153.
Old 06-03-2012, 10:21 AM   #17  

S/C/G: 271/219/healthy

Height: 5'4 1/2"

Hi coaches/buddies/friends... I am doing the happy dance. I finally had a healthful food day. I am so grateful. When faced with extra of this or that I 'shouted' back at those sabatoging thoughts.

We were outside for hours getting the gardens finished up and I missed lunch. So I added some protein to my afternoon snack and it worked out OK. Grateful to remember that eating isn't an emergency.

I planned for a s'more - I had it and savored it. I had an extra dime size piece of chocolate when it was left in the wrapper. The fixn's went home with the neighbors. Grateful for the willingness to try.

My mom is coming over for lunch today. Grilling hamburgers and a turkey burger for me. I am taking green beans and mushrooms with a small about of evoo and garlic powder for a tasty side.

Some credits for yesterday:
ate seated mostly
no seconds
exercise
lots of water
weighed - the same
wrote down my food

Need to work on reading Beck and cards!

lexxiss/debbie - I am so very glad to hear that you DH's surgery went well. Credit for making a good choice when it was so easy not to at Taco Bell. The pancake finish up is over. Hop right back on your plan and you'll be fine, of course.

onebyone - thanks for the link!

Gotta go, quick... I"ll try to get back.
Old 06-03-2012, 11:52 AM   #18  

S/C/G: 173/167/ 154

Height: 5'6

Good Morning, Coaches.

Beverleyjoy: "we shouldn't focus on what we didn't do... but what we did" A fabulous reminder this morning.

onebyone: I completely understand how you feel about the "jowliness." I think you and I are almost the same age (I'm 48) It is scary to me to lose "my looks to age" I say that because that is the view of society. Women over fifty are rarely perceived as sexy or attractive. We become delegated to "motherly" or if in the business world "war hounds". As I lose weight, as my food becomes less dominant in my life, other pains and fears come to the front - the ones that have been masked by the addiction. I am grieving the loss of being "the pretty young thing" But what is the truth? Being 200 pounds in my youth, it was relatively few years that I could "rely" on my looks for attention. As a result, I developed personal skills, talents, improved my mind and my compassionate heart, my artistic self. All of these things stay intact as I age, in fact they flourish. Those who relied solely on youth and beauty have nothing in reserve. I am lucky. I see my husband facing a similar battle with his diminishing strength. He defined himself for many years by his capacity to work physically as a farmer. He can't work the way he use to and it scares him.

I know I am going on and on, but this is a critical point for me. I am losing weight because I am a precious child of a compassionate maker and God expects me to treat myself with kindness and love - no matter what age. In the end, a person free from addiction, centered in love and service is the most attractive person on earth.

As for me, I filled out my journal, read my Day 6, gave myself much more credit yesterday, planned for walk, slowed down when I ate breakfast this morning by praying in between bites.

Last edited by maryann; 06-03-2012 at 11:58 AM.
Old 06-03-2012, 12:05 PM   #19  
Miral Paris

S/C/G: 191/140

Height: 5/5

Hi. I am new and just got my tracker (I like it). I read the Beck books and they were helpful. I've got a long way to go, but people here inspire me.
Old 06-03-2012, 06:03 PM   #20  
outside is not inside

S/C/G: Starting Weight:250/140

Height: 5'3"

BillBlueEyes: It took some Cajun ingenuity but they got it done. Leave it to a Cajun to take a gazeebo and put it on a trailer (the kind you get at home depot) tie it down and bring it to that back yard and it's still in one piece!
Old 06-03-2012, 08:35 PM   #21  

S/C/G: 206/197.6/128

Height: 5'4"

BillBlueEyes, Thank you for the welcome! I learned about the Beck Solution Book from my mother. She learned about it from my daughter, who gave her a copy. It's all in the family...lol! I found this forum as it is listed on the main forum page under "Diet Central." I thought it would be a good place for me to check in as I am currently reading the book and working on applying the process. Look forward to keeping up with everyone here. Blessings to all.
Old 06-04-2012, 06:46 AM   #22  
Super Moderator

Thumbs up Welcome Miral Paris

Miral Paris

How did you find out about the books by Dr. Judith Beck?

And how did you find this Beck Forum on 3 Fat Chicks?
Old 06-04-2012, 07:01 AM   #23  
Super Moderator

Thumbs up Monday

Diet Coaches/Buddies - Did a terrific job when facing a table of cookies and homemade stuff, CREDIT moi. Particularly pleased to ignore two especially yummy things that were in abundance and being enjoyed by the whole bunch of people. The packaged cookies included several of my favorites, so the urges were there. At the end while helping to clean up, I took the package with one remaining dark chocolate covered graham cracker over to a teenager and asked him to make it disappear. No problem, teens are eating machines.

Limited exercise in the cool and rain. Did put in the last tomato plant, CREDIT moi, and happily observed that the sugar snaps are only a day or so away from ready. Lettuce hasn't done so well this year.

Beverlyjoy Just love the drama, "'shouted' back at those sabatoging thoughts" - Kudos for staying the path. Yay for garlic.

maryann - Such a beautiful thought, "In the end, a person free from addiction, centered in love and service is the most attractive person on earth."

Tammy (CatholicCajun) Yay for "Cajun ingenuity" - I'm impressed. Not to mention jealous of a backyard big enough for a gazebo, LOL.

Melody (melodyjoy) Wow, a three generation Beck family; you guys can inspire each other. And avoid some of the pitfalls of family dinner situations where grandma is trying to force favorite dishes on the younger generations. Have you made your Advantages Card yet?

Miral Paris - Yay for the new tracker (I can see it on your user page with the whiskered cat even though not on this post). Have you read the pink book or the green book?

Is it time for you to revisit making your Advantages Card? Sometimes we change our thinking and benefit by additions. Glad you've joined us.

Readers -
Quote:
chapter 6 Stage 3 The Challenging Situations Plan
challenging situations skills
Confidently Follow Your Plan at Extended Family Dinners

Family dinners require you to combine skills from social events and holiday eating (pages 155-157). You will also have to learn how to stay true to your plan in the face of strong emotions - either positive or negative. You will need to be really good at saying no to food pushers (pages 141-143), too, as some families have strong beliefs about food and eating. For example, your family members many comment on the foods you are eating or not eating, complain that you are eating differently from them, or try to ply you with alcohol.

Judith S. Beck, Ph.D., The Complete Beck Diet for Life (Green book), pgs 153-154.
Old 06-04-2012, 08:22 AM   #24  

S/C/G: 197/163/135

Default Monday

Hi Coaches,

My weekend was productive. Lots of house activities and even a visitor. I continue to map out my food more carefully. I calculated the nutrition in some recipes, so now I have estimates of appropriate serving sizes. I hate not knowing because often I think I've had to much, when sometimes I have not.

I've decided to take my list of common sabotaging thoughts and map them to the 'errors in thinking' list. So far many of them are in the 'justification' category. It is interesting to do, and makes the thoughts seem more obvious and less damaging.

Have a nice week everyone!
Old 06-04-2012, 10:44 AM   #25  
outside is not inside

S/C/G: Starting Weight:250/140

Morning all. I am at work on this board so don't tell my other workers, it sets a bad example!! LOL! Anyway have our food all measured out, we will be working with a salesman today and have a one hour drive home, once home I know what is for supper and NO SNACKING after supper. Am still fasting for 7 days from the scale, trying to bread the daily weigh in cycle. Have a blessed day.
Old 06-04-2012, 12:33 PM   #26  

S/C/G: 194.8/169.6/155

Hello Everyone,

I am still around and following all your posts. I've been really busy at work and at home I'm spending more time outside in the garden and yard and not getting close to a computer screen. And that doesn't feel so bad to me except that I'm not checking in with all of you.

My weight is still the same and now I think it's a psychological thing, the last time I was consistently in the 160's was in 1987. I think now that I'm there again my brain is thinking "I never expected to be here so this is a good place to stop". I'm not quite willing to stop yet but have decided to change my goal to 155. This is so much more of a "mind-game" than anything for me.

I hope to get back for personals soon.
Old 06-04-2012, 01:05 PM   #27  

Thank you for the mention of the worksheets at the Beck web site. I am still new to the Beck Diet Solution and am still reading the book. I had not checked out the web site until now. I just printed out the worksheets and am ready to get started with it. I know this will help keep me focus on what I really want to do. It certainly does take re-training your brain to make better decisions. I'll keep you updated as to my progress and look forward to following everyone else, too. What a great community of support this is!
Old 06-04-2012, 06:36 PM   #28  

S/C/G: 271/219/healthy

Height: 5'4 1/2"

Hi... I am checking in. Sunday was an on plan day. I had a nightmare, woke up in the middle of the night and ate extra food. I am not sure if it counts for today or Sunday. LOL I think I am counting it in for Sunday.

I did many of my Beck tasks.

I got a package of Weight Watchers Dark Chocolate on Raspberry ice cream on a stick. DH was buying ice cream bars for himself. I actually planned a couple... and had to throw away the rest. It's too soon.(I was obsessed and it was just easier to let them go in the trash covered with dish soap.) I'll leave my ice cream getting to the DQ's no sugar added fudge bar for 50 calories. Just get ONE at a time.That is a more controlled setting and keeping my environment 'friendly' for food sanity.

WELCOME TO YOU, MIRAL PARIS!

WELCOME TO YOU, MELODY JOY!

So glad you posted. You will find people here friendly, supportive with much wisdom.

Melody - glad you found the sheets online. I was happy to find them too.

Tazzy - I am happy to hear that you are maintaining your weight. It can be 'scary' venturing into VFT (virgin fat territory) - where you haven't been in a long long time. Carry on the best you can.

Catholic Cajun - Credit for planning and measuring ahead!

MaryAnn - you said: I've decided to take my list of common sabotaging thoughts and map them to the 'errors in thinking' list. So far many of them are in the 'justification' category Good idea to do and reminder.

Billbe - CREDIT for passing up the goodies! Good move on the passoff to the teens. When my son was a teen, growing up... his friends and he would swarm through the kitchen like locus.... eating it all.

Gotta run!

Last edited by Beverlyjoy; 06-04-2012 at 07:58 PM.
Old 06-04-2012, 08:48 PM   #29  

Wow! I had a major breakthrough today. After several hours of dealing with a frustrating computer issue, I finally gave up feeling very stressed. My usual response would be to grap something sweet, some comfort food. I really wanted it. But, I made myself a protein drink, and much to my suprise I was satisfied and the craving for something sweet and comforting left. I stayed on plan. I'm feeling like maybe I can do this. Maybe you can teach an old (OK - semi-old) dog new tricks. Yay! Happy dance...

Last edited by melodyjoy; 06-04-2012 at 08:49 PM.
Old 06-04-2012, 10:44 PM   #30  
GlenwoodHotSprings

S/C/G: 275/179/179

Height: 5'5"

Hi Coaches!

Cheering us all on!

melodyjoy, credit for choosing a healthy option when faced with stress! I think one of the neatest things about BDS is learning that we can do this.

BBE, I love that innovative thinking...give it to a teen! I really get satisfaction when I can accomplish a "pass off".

everyone else!

It's 830 pm and I have DH tucked in. I am anticipating some moments for myself and have one more chore. Today was a good Beck day, filled with many opportunities to resist nibbles at work. An OP day

Last night, I had a major success. DH was extremely grumpy and was looking for a spat. Too much pain...anyway, I told him I was not going to engage in it. He kept up so I told him I'd be downstairs if he had an emergency but if he needed help w/anything else he could call me on my cell and apologize. I had an enjoyable evening on my own within hearing distance and did not need to get into any emotional eating.credit.

I came home today and my dream came true-DH was in a good mood and was hungry for "meat". Since we don't eat so much meat any more I've been thinking on creative ways to clean out the freezer. DH's wish fit the bill. I fixed pork-he loved it, so I fixed chicken which he loved, too. I must dig further into the stash since my goal is to totally reorganize the small in kitchen freezer to better suit our current eating habits.
Closed Thread