Beck Diet Solution A step-by-step program to learn specific techniques to stay on our diet, lose weight, and maintain our weight loss for life.

Closed Thread

Old 06-12-2012, 10:22 AM   #76  

S/C/G: 271/219/healthy

Height: 5'4 1/2"

Hi Coaches.... My ankle appointment went well. I saw a different person as the woman I was working with retired. The new person said I did not need any lifts and told me how to proceed. It had been going well when I became apparent that my shoes were way too tight in the toes with the brace on. I could actually see the impressions of my toes on the leather! Yikes. Wearing it for patches of time made my achilles tendon ache. I stopped wearing it, called yesterday to explain, & go back to the brace lady on Thursday morning.

I was in panic mode and did 'soothe' myself with some food. Of course, it was a false soothing. I've been up and made my plan for today and will carry on.

I weighed myself and it said two pounds up. I don't know if it's 'real weight' or salt, hormones etc. Good information to remind me of my purpose in eating healthfully and in lower calories.

I need to run my mom around to appointments today.

I hope everyone has a great day.
Old 06-12-2012, 12:42 PM   #77  

S/C/G: 173/167/ 154

Height: 5'6

Good Morning Coaches,

I read onebyones and BBE tales of the garden and I get a little jealous. Although my husband farms 2000 acres, here at our suburban home, we can barely keep the house plant alive. I should do more with DS I am just not a natural. I keep to the cooking side of health, I guess. I also pick lots of fruit when it is ripe.

I marked my hunger for Day 11 and - no surprise- felt like I wanted to eat more in the middle of the meal yet was completely full, over full an hour after the meal. This is a good reminder to eat only one serving and trust it will be enough. I am skipping Day 12 hunger experiment. It was a BAD idea last time round. Instead, I am practicing "Hunger is not an emergency" with babbling while preparing and cleaning up before and after meals.

Lexxiss: I am sending good thoughts your way. I really admire how well you take care of your husband.
BBE: Cute "expectations" idea. That really is the trick to all living - desire less, always be pleasantly surprised.

Last edited by maryann; 06-12-2012 at 12:44 PM.
Old 06-13-2012, 04:21 AM   #78  

S/C/G: Restart 4-28-14 298/280.5/140

Height: 5'3"

Hi everyone -- I've been MIA the last couple days and off track with BECK.....BUT getting right back on. I took on a project to fill in for parish pianist for next four weeks and I've been picking out music and practicing like a wild woman. Forgot to even eat today after breakfast until 4:30......AMAZING!

Overdid it on the piano and hands are tired and sore so took naprosyn and will get off this computer (would like to read and type more) so can rest hands....

Sending best wishes for everyone to have a great BECK day tomorrow!

Will be back in day or two when hands feel better.....still have to practice, but not as much as I did today. After all, I'm not that young anymore
Old 06-13-2012, 04:54 AM   #79  
Super Moderator

S/C/G: 239/173/165

Height: 5'9"

Thumbs up Wednesday

Diet Coaches/Buddies - On plan with food, CREDIT moi, until evening snack was larger - Ouch. A friend was over to make some vacation plans for this summer and DW put out a bite-sized pastry; I nibbled. Ouch again. D*rn those bite-sized thingies - they're harder for me to say "No dessert for me" when the hand can just reach to the platter as we're talking. Dinner included the lettuce I just picked from our garden - heaven.

Exercise was my longest walk to date (CREDIT moi) in my new sandals without socks. I had to convince myself that they are comfortable enough sockless so that I don't discover blisters while on vacation when there's a lot of walking going on. They did just fine. I did pass a Goodwill which yielded a new guide to Belize for a buck; have to assume that's an omen. Belize is on my Bucket List so I can start getting psyched on the cheap.

onebyone – Kudos for extracting "I'll show you" from a situation of male gender clueless. We guys don't always think before we speak - methinks it's caused by testosterone, we can't help it, LOL.

Debbie (Lexxiss) – Sending supportive thoughts for you and your DH through the pain of recovery. Kudos for staying the path without letting life be an excuse.

Beverlyjoy – Yikes indeed! Good luck getting shoes that don't pinch the toes - can guess that it's hard to focus on the toes when all your attention is on the ankles. You caught me by surprise that the solution to the left ankle / right ankle conundrum was neither.

maryann - Yay for "Hunger is not an emergency" - one of Beck's best zingers IMHO.

Elizabeth (Elizabeth779) - Love the image of "practicing like a wild woman" for church performance. You're winning with the attitude, "BUT getting right back on." Keep the faith.

Readers -
Quote:
chapter 6 Stage 3 The Challenging Situations Plan
Confidently Follow Your Plan During Holidays

Create a Holiday Mindset
Left unchecked, these thoughts can cause serious damage. To follow your plan during holidays, accept the reality that you can't eat the way you used to if you want to get and stay thinner. It doesn't matter that it's holiday time; others are eating and drinking a lot; you're exposed to special food; or your host is pushing you to eat more. If you eat extra calories, you are going to gain weight. Remind yourself that you have a choice: You can give in to holiday temptations, or you can practice these skills and keep the excess weight off for good. If you choose the latter, it's true you will be giving up eating some food. But you will be getting so much in return. Ask yourself Where do I want to be the next holiday season? And the season after that? And the season after that?

Judith S. Beck, Ph.D., The Complete Beck Diet for Life (Green book), pgs 155-156.

Last edited by BillBlueEyes; 06-13-2012 at 05:01 AM.
Old 06-13-2012, 10:27 AM   #80  

Good morning, Coaches.

Op Yesterday. I felt the concave stomach, the slight emptiness in my stomach and I knew I was on track. I practiced welcoming the feelings. My first reaction is always, "Eat more, this can't be good." I gave myself credit and slept well last nite.

This morning, I am reading retro Day 13. I read half. It is about cravings. I am going to take a couple of days to chart this one. Step class in a half hour and a nice day planned for DS today - the last day I have a 9yo. Tomorrow is his birthday.

Glad you checked in Elizabeth 779. Every action counts toward sanity.
BBE: Your wayward hand reminds me of the old Addams Family show. Oh, the trouble "Thing" ( the disembodied hand) would get into.

Last edited by maryann; 06-13-2012 at 10:28 AM.
Old 06-14-2012, 05:21 AM   #81  
Super Moderator

Thumbs up Thursday

Diet Coaches/Buddies - Diverted off plan when lunch was served with a dark chocolate brownie and I just ate it - Ouch. But, CREDIT moi for only having one and for not having seconds as some folks at my table were having. But evening was superb; I ignored some packaged cookies during the two hours of my book club when one of them was Girl Scout Thin Mints. My friend sitting next to me must have had half a sleeve himself. Yay for a little Resistance Muscle work.

Did gym, CREDIT moi, even though I had to walk there in the rain. I was happy for the light, drizzly rain since that's so good for DW's gardens.

maryann - Loving this, "I practiced welcoming the feelings" - so good to be reminded that feelings don't always have to be run from. [LOL at "Thing" - that's exactly how I observe my hand when it wanders.]

Readers -
Quote:

Create a Holiday Mindset
If you always want to be a thinner, healthier, in-control person, it's essential for you to learn these skills now. Then you will be able to use them at every future holiday. Create this Response Card to read each morning around a holiday:
HOLIDAY RESPONSE CARD
My body doesn't know it's the holidays. Holiday time
is not a reason to eat unplanned food. When the holi-
day is over, I'm going to be so glad that I stuck to my
plan. It's worth it to forgo the momentary pleasure of
eating foods I haven't planned to eat so I can stay in
control, be happier with myself, and lose weight.

Judith S. Beck, Ph.D., The Complete Beck Diet for Life (Green book), pg 156.
Old 06-14-2012, 08:55 AM   #82  
persist

S/C/G: 290/286/150

Height: 5' 6"

Thumbs up Official Weigh-in Day

Hi Coaches.

My official WW weigh-in is this morning. I am pretty sure I'll be down as the wii-fit said 258.

I've planned to work in the garden after weigh-in. I can get those weeds back down if I do it today. June is the month to really fight with those weeds. I remember a few times when I didn't fight them in june and they just outgrow everything . The way my garden looked when I started could happen again in only a few days I fear.

*credits* for weighing in, and planning exercise, and checking in.

Off to start my day.

UPDATE: official weigh-in showed an encouraging loss of 3.6lbs. I was definitely puffy last week. *great relief* to see the scale move. I am mentally committed to seeing it do a large drop one more. I'm ready to do what I need to do. *credit* for Beck and for maintaining +/- 5lbs. For me, this is fantastic.
*credit* for hoeing in the garden and just taking down the weeds to ground level. I did not rake them up or remove them. Next time.

Last edited by onebyone; 06-14-2012 at 01:43 PM.
Old 06-14-2012, 10:23 AM   #83  

S/C/G: 194.8/169.6/155

Height: 5'4"

Hi Everyone,

Still here, still busy at work and at home. We've had lots of rain lately so getting into the garden to get the weeds out has to be done while the weather cooperates. onebyone I can relate on getting those weeds out, if only my veggies were growing as well as the thistle.

Weighing everyday and the scale has been slowly creeping up. About 4lbs above ticker right now and I'm feeling it in my clothes and body! I had way too much food over the last few days that are wheat based and I now know that it's a food group that I need to stay away from. I just feel blah and sluggish after eating it but continue to eat it because of it's addictive properties. So back to writing down my food plan and eating better choices for me. It also helped that I bought groceries last night and didn't pick up any treats that are not conducive to my eating plan.

Back to my desk here, have a big event on Sat and we are bringing in a Canadian celebrity chef, looking forward to seeing what he can do with some really good Alberta beef.

Happy Thursday!
Old 06-14-2012, 10:45 AM   #84  

BBE: Glad you mentioned resistance work. That is the theme of Day 13 Part 2.

I have read the five techniques to resist cravings. Good thing, too. I am off to the San Francisco Giant's game with DS for his bday. Who knows what I will find there plus there will be tension with newness and crowds. I guess somebody pitched a perfect game last night and the ball park could go wild.

Difficult to plan for food. I have protein bars in my purse and plan for a salad tonight at dinner. Only exercise is walking around the park.

onebyone: good luck at the weigh in.
Tazzy: I one hundred percent agree with you about wheat. When I limit myself to one serving in the morning, things always go better.
Old 06-15-2012, 02:40 AM   #85  

Maryann -- love what you said: "Every action counts toward sanity." Wow, that is thought provoking.
Old 06-15-2012, 02:55 AM   #86  

Hi Coaches -- credit to all of you. I see your strength and determination -- was inspired by BBE muscle strength to resist the thin mints and everyone working on gardens -- would any of you with the drizzles and rain send some California way??? We could use some rain.

I have been online cking in with threads and reporting how I fell yesterday in my mother's driveway. I tried to break my fall with wrists and then hit mostly on left side with banged up knee, ribs, etc. As I came here to report to my coaches about that, I was reading your posts and saw how falling down is like when we mess up with our program. AND getting back up is what we do? I didn't decided to just lay in that driveway forever....I got back up and did what was necessary to repair myself -- ice and naprosyn and rest -- and I kept on going. And that is what I need to do when I "fall down" from Beck. Because sometimes when I fall down on Beck it would just be tempting (sabotaging thought) to stay there and not struggle on.

And also, Beck is like gardening -- those sabotaging thoughts are like WEEDS and CRABGRASS that keep us from being successful with our goals. We never just give IN to WEEDs in the garden, but we find solutions. That is how like Maryann recently replied to me, "Every action counts towards sanity."

Anyway, my two cents worth.

I do have a question -- did anyone see the ABC show about Ultimate Weight Loss Makeover on a woman named Jacqui? It was so inspiring. She ate about 1,500 calories a day, worked out like "a wild woman" and also her web site says she used the services of a counselor.

We're lucky to have BDS.

Anyway, time to pack myself in more ice packs, take more naprosyn, and most of all rest wrists -- I'm going to be fine. It was hardest or most painful abgout 24 hours after the fall, but it's subsiding I can tell.

So, watch out for those cracks in the sidewalk -- I'm not trusting those sandals anymore -- they have a spongy type sole and I think they caught too easy, I looked and could only find the tiniest crack......

Here's to us (raising glass): Let's pull weeds and always get up when we fall.
Old 06-15-2012, 06:16 AM   #87  
Super Moderator

Thumbs up Friday

Diet Coaches/Buddies - Confronted by a car that wouldn't start - such a good event to eat a handful of nuts about. But I don't have to eat because I have a feeling, being annoyed that I really don't like the car anymore, am not maintaining it optimally, and consider it my fault that it won't start. When a car doesn't start in wet weather, it's signaling that it needs a new distributor cap and spark plug wires. This car also needs a minor tune up. And a major tune up. And new timing chain and water pump. And a transmission overhaul. And a new radio and antenna mechanism. And a new heating control panel. And a new air conditioner. And new lifting pistons for the rear door. OR . . . a quick spray from a can of ignition wire drying stuff, have a cup of tea while that dries, and it started instantly. CREDIT moi for not eating over being too frugal to just go buy a new car. There's probably some car I'll just really love if I concentrated. But this is an old station wagon which is soooooo useful now and then. But I'd buy some gas-efficient little hybrid or something and lose that twice a year needed station wagon.

Exercise was worrying about buying a new car, LOL.

onebyone Oh Yes, Kudos indeed for weeding in June while they're trying to grow above your planted veggies to hog the sun. Congrats on that encouraging loss.

maryann - Hope your DS was able to enjoy the Giant's game despite that awful grand slam by the Astros. I've never seen a professional baseball grand slam. At a Red Sox game I'm fine with no snacks, but when I start on peanuts it's hard for me to stop.

Tazzy - So neat, "didn't pick up any treats that are not conducive to my eating plan" - Kudos for countering the treats at the source ... sorta like weeding in June, LOL. Do you have an excuse to monitor the kitchen and sample your celebrity chef's stuff? (On plan, of course.)

Elizabeth (Elizabeth779) - Good grief - it's not the time for you to have wrist issues when facing a couple of weeks as church pianist. Sending supportive thoughts for rapid healing. Thanks for the encouraging notion that's I'll let rattle around my brain today, "Let's pull weeds and always get up when we fall."

Readers -
Quote:
Create a Holiday Mindset

holiday skills
Just as social events are an extension of eating out, holidays are an extension of social events. Here's what to do:
Create a general holiday plan. You may attend many events during some holidays. Rather than create a specific plan for each event, you can have one general plan for all of them. You might decide, for example, to use your Bonus Calories toward a glass of wine or small dessert whenever you go out to a holiday function. Beware of the dangers of having no plan (I'll just try to limit myself), too loose of a plan (I'll just have a little bit of some things), or having a plan but not following it (It won't hurt if I have this food I hadn't planned to eat . . . I can always start again tomorrow). These sabotaging thoughts are likely to result in gaining weight.

Judith S. Beck, Ph.D., The Complete Beck Diet for Life (Green book), pg 156.
Old 06-15-2012, 12:08 PM   #88  
GlenwoodHotSprings

S/C/G: 275/179/179

Height: 5'5"

Hi Coaches!

I posted yesterday,but lost internet and post. I'm not organized enough right now for cut and paste.

Elizabeth, I hope you heal very soon! I did like your observations and am glad you came here to share.

Me, doing ok....food is staying pretty much on track-enough to maintain my weight. I weigh and make my green smoothie everyday and keep the fridge stocked with healthy food. I focus on my Beck skills and did catch myself eating while standing yesterday.
On the home front, I'm hanging in there with the added responsibilities. I was off yesterday-did yard work and took Kirk to PT. Today I'm housecleaning and keeping organized on the homefront. I'm really grateful for the time I had spent in the past months trying to focus on decluttering/organization. I have reflected on how much easier this time has been because of it.

MaryAnn, happy birthday to DS. Hope your game was fun.

Tazzy, kudos for getting back to meal planning.

onebyone, kudos for a good weigh in, especially since you had missed a few. Yay for back in the routine.

BBE, thanks for sharing your stellar example of not eating over feelings.

I've got to get on with it!
Old 06-15-2012, 12:16 PM   #89  

BBE: We arrived just in time to see the grand slam. The team never recovered but DS had a good time with cousin and I enjoyed spending a little time with my brother. Your car sounds it might do with a match and a little extra gasoline as well.

Good food day yesterday. Food did not call to me, amazingly, at the ball park or on the two hour traffic drive back home. There was a fire on Rapid Transit and it brought the city to a stop. Still enjoyed the day and hardly had to practice resistance at all. I did not forget to be grateful. Sometimes on easy food days I wonder "Why is this so hard?"

More traveling in the Bay Area today, through Occupied Oakland, but I won't occupy it for long, than onto a family weekend. Food is written down. I finished the last part of retro Day 13 which is action steps when a craving hits.I notice my traveling clothes are flattering and fit well and I remember lots of days when neither of those conditions existed.

Elizabeth779: I am so sorry about your fall. that is disheartening. I didn't see the weight loss clip but when I do see one I marvel at the amount of time spent on recovering from overeating. It takes what it takes and there seems to be no shortcuts.
Old 06-15-2012, 03:06 PM   #90  

S/C/G: 194.8/169.6/155

Height: 5'4"

TGIF everyone! Although with working at the event tomorrow from 8am - 5pm my weekend just got really short! For Father's Day on Sunday I'm going to make DH potato pancakes for breakfast as they are a favourite of his.

Yesterday was much better food wise, no wheat and no cravings to keep eating. Weighed and down 1.8 today. Exercise was walking to the community meeting by parking at the far end of the building and not knowing exactly where the new meeting room was. Still going with no wheat today and feeling pretty good.

I should get lots of walking in tomorrow. BBE I have other entertainment at the event (bands, DJ's and kid's entertainment) to look after so my visit to the chef demo stages will be really brief. Not sure I'll even get to try any of their creations. There are other local restaurants offering samples so I'll have to keep your "rare and unusual" rule in place, and not consider "rare" to be the degree the beef is cooked to.

I have some dental work scheduled for Monday after work, I have to get one of my molars extracted because I have a fractured root socket. Basically a tooth with a root canal has now fractured vertically and I cannot put any pressure on the tooth. This is the first step of a bridge procedure that will be completed after a 2 - 3 month healing process. I think that could affect my food choices for awhile as I need to eat soft foods to not disrupt the healing. Good thing I like jello!

Lexxiss Good job on hanging in there with everything going on in your world. Decluttering feels so good.

maryann Credit for bypassing food temptations on your recent outings.

elizabeth779 Ouch for your fall and wrists. I loved your outlook on the situation in relation to getting back up and gardening.

onebyone Good job on the loss and continuing the fight the "weed" battle. At least we know we have a good workout plan for the summer with the gardens.

to everyone else who might be lurking around. Have a great weekend everyone.

Last edited by Tazzy; 06-15-2012 at 03:07 PM.
Closed Thread