Beck Diet Solution A step-by-step program to learn specific techniques to stay on our diet, lose weight, and maintain our weight loss for life.

Closed Thread

Old 06-26-2012, 11:14 PM   #166  

S/C/G: 138/137/120 ...CBF 33%/GBF 20%

Height: 5'6"

I've gotten very off-track with all the diet related stuff. Before I move on to another task in the book, I'm going to focus on practicing the stuff I've learned so far.

However, I'm doing well in other areas, so credit to me for:

- Doing the 30 Day Shred both yesterday and today. I've done it 7 times now.
- Going for a 30 minute run this morning.
- Impressing my boss today
- Not completely throwing in the towel when I mess up diet-wise.
Old 06-27-2012, 01:35 AM   #167  

S/C/G: 218/210/183

Height: 6'0"

Default Day 1

I have been lurking for so long, following your progress and getting tips and motivation. I am ready to jump back in, finally. I kept thinking I had good excuses to not focus on weight loss, I guess I could go on like that forever. I'm taking a time that many people would think is crazy to start my program: my mom is having hip replacement surgery tomorrow and I am driving 425 mile to spend 9 days with her & my dad, helping as she recovers. I know that normally hospitals, etc are not conducive to healthy eating, but I think its going to work: Mom is diabetic & Dad (83) could also use some healthy meals. So these 9 days are controlled eating, model for my mom, get out and walk each day (for stress relief, too!), keep up the strength exercise I have learned for PT after the shoulder surgery I had this past winter.
I have a plan; I actually have a very cool diagram of my plan that I tried to scan into my new printer and post here, but computer & printer are not speaking today. I will commit to posting here each day for the next 10; I will lay out my plan piece by piece; I will walk or do weights daily; I have healthy road food planned and ready for the cooler; I have go-to strategies for stressful moments which I know will show up. Wish me luck!
Old 06-27-2012, 05:04 AM   #168  
Super Moderator

S/C/G: 239/173/165

Height: 5'9"

Thumbs up Wednesday

Diet Coaches/Buddies - Eating was on plan, CREDIT moi, including only one evening snack. Yay for fresh mango. Wherever those are grown, we seem to get them year round - just like bananas.

Exercise was walking (CREDIT moi) to Eastern Mountain Sports - our local sporting goods store - to take advantage of a 20% off sale. DW needed new boots and I had to be there for the 20%. I felt like a hero, LOL. I want one of each thing in there; it's as if owning the equipment will get me outdoors more often, or give me the body of the kids in the ads running up mountains.

onebyone – What a haul of $3 bargains from the Value Village clothing sale - makes it hard to contemplate full price for clothes. Kudos for "I did not use food to fix tired."

Joy (gardenerjoy) – I, too, need a bit more cardio in my life right now.

Debbie (Lexxiss) – Congrats on your NSV with the dress shirt - just lovely that the body knows stuff is happening. Toast corners is just the kind of thing that would tempt me.

Nature Girl – I think it's a super idea to start a diet at a place where over eating would be otherwise likely. Sending supportive thoughts for your mother's surgery and for your nine days with your parents.

Beverlyjoy – Congrats on maintaining those ten pounds since January. Ouch for the ouch in your lower back - bodies can be so annoying at times.

maryann - Yep, "Everybody has to work at this stuff." Congrats for the good review of your fiction. [LOL at Nebraska trying to teach kids about hills.]

Ann (Newlifestyle) - LOL at the "busy til exhaustion diet" - with Kudos for not eating over the stressful stuff at work. [Thanks for the protein tip.]

Yanna - Yay for the joy of "Impressing my boss today," and Yay for having a boss smart enough to show it. Practicing Beck strategies sounds good.

Readers -
Quote:
chapter 6 Stage 3 The Challenging Situations Plan
Confidently Follow Your Plan While Traveling

The Travel Calories Decision.

Decide what your rule will be. In your Diet Notebook under "Travel Plan," write either:
  • I am making the choice to follow my regular Think Thin Eating Plan,
OR
  • My rule for traveling is:
    I can have up to _________ extra calories (fill in a number up to 300) on up to ___________ days (fill in a number between 1 and 7). I can eat these extra calories only if I have planned to do so in advance. I can't use them spontaneously.
Judith S. Beck, Ph.D., The Complete Beck Diet for Life (Green book), pg 159.
Old 06-27-2012, 09:00 AM   #169  
persist

S/C/G: 322/310/299

Height: 5' 6"

Thumbs up and it's the last Wednesday of June 2012, never to come again.

Coaches

*credit weighing in:255.5 today (-1.8lbs). Official Weigh-in Day tomorrow.
*credit posting here
*credit for a foodplan for today

Today's plan includes completing the colour mock-up of the project I am working on for my client. I had hoped to get it done yesterday but it had more parts to it than I thought; another example of the chronic "underestimating how long things take" gene I have. Actually, right now it strikes me as this is a form of "people-pleasing" with me. I *want* to tell you that I will get it done really fast so you will be happy with me instead of risking upsetting/angering you with a more accurate but slower estimate. But, of course, when I fail to deliver or have to come back with an excuse it completely undercuts my desire to have you think nice of me so in the end this behavoiur is defeatist.

Interesting.
I'm going to try to remember this going forward.

On other fronts I had a clean sink as I went to bed. I did not do my other daily tasks. I plan to get caught up with these this morning.

Also on the agenda is a walk to the Dr.'s office to set up an appointment for a physical for me and for DH and to try to get an appt in the next 5 days to refill a prescription. I thought I had another month supply and I don't. This is for my bp meds. maybe within the next year I will be able to kiss those things goodbye. I won't know if that's possible until I lose the weight and see where I stand.

Have a great middle-of-the-week!
Old 06-27-2012, 05:42 PM   #170  

S/C/G: 271/219/healthy

Height: 5'4 1/2"

Hi coaches...friends.... Well I got through yesterday pretty well on plan. That's two solid days. I am grateful for that. My back is feeling a little bit better.... still have a way to go. Improvement is good.

Yesterday - my credits were that I wrote down all my food, planned my food (however, didn't write it down in advance), measured my food, logged my food, lots of water. It's a start to try and get to where I know I can find some 'peace' with food.

maryann - credit for your good choices. sounds like many more good choices than others. Good work with the exercise.

gardenerjoy - sorry you are struggling too. You will reach the point of willingness to try. Sometimes, when coming off of a vacation with lots of food... I plan things kind of easing into my plan. It's still a plan, however.

yanna - major credit for not 'throwing in the towel' when your are struggling!! All credits count you know.

onebyone - such a good reminder.... giving yourself credit for checking in. I have a hard time doing it sometimes.

Billebe - I love hearing about where your walks take you. You are so consistent... Credit!

Nature girl - safe travel with your long trip. I wish your mom a good recovery. It's a good strategy to take this time to good healthfully as a role model. Plan, plan, and plan some more.

I hope you all are having a healtful day.

Last edited by Beverlyjoy; 06-27-2012 at 05:52 PM.
Old 06-27-2012, 08:06 PM   #171  

S/C/G: 173/185/ 165

Height: 5'6

Beverleyjoy: Credit for two solid days. Every OP day builds on the next. I know what it is like to get back into a habit.
Naturegirl: Credit for a plan going into a difficult time - the alternative is having two difficult times.
Yanna: This is a long race. There is no need to rush anything.
BBE: I always figure people blow big bucks on dinners and booze. I spend that money on things that let me enjoy the great outdoors.
onebyone: Good Luck in tomorrow's weigh in.

As for me. Credit: I stuck the same breakfast I have had every day in residency - a scoop of eggs and fruit. Credit for small portions. Two desserts however was too much. I started thinking I only have one more day here and somehow that was reason to overeat. I start my new day right now with 10 mins of OP.

Last edited by maryann; 06-27-2012 at 08:07 PM.
Old 06-27-2012, 10:57 PM   #172  

Here I am on my parent's couch & Mom's computer--nobody knows the log in for the wireless to hook mine up. Mom is doing well--I'm so glad. Of course everybody tells her that tomorrow morning will be a different story. Dad & I are beat but after this I'm going to ride my bike around the old home town in the long lasting evening sun we have here--not a hard ride, just to ge the kinks out. Trip went well; ate only grapes, cherry tomatoes, sweet peppers, 1 container of peanuts, and one cheese stick. Oh, and half a burrito at lunch instead of the huge burgers at the drive in next door. After the bike ride, my allotted piece of dark chocolate, and I'm good to go!
Old 06-28-2012, 05:54 AM   #173  
GlenwoodHotSprings

S/C/G: 275/179/179

Height: 5'5"

Hi Coaches!

A quick check in this morning. We're (I am) packing the car and heading over the mountains. DH has gotten authorization to try the pool. It's been one month since his injury. It's been a good month for me, foodwise. I moved my ticker down a pound yesterday. I don't move it often these days so that felt good. credit for maintaining my losses.

Yesterday I worked THEN drove DH to PT. I brought my lunch to work*credit* AND started a new work habit. When the toast crunchies start accumulating on the plate I simply take the plate and scoop them in the trash. I think it can become a routine habit for me AND so helpful because when I have a little bite I always want more.

HikerGirl, glad your moms surgery went well. Sending you support as she recovers.
Old 06-28-2012, 06:41 AM   #174  
Super Moderator

Thumbs up Thursday

Diet Coaches/Buddies - A good eating day, CREDIT moi, including only one evening snack. Except for some extra blueberries, to which I magically ascribe zero calories during peak season when New Jersey blueberries are a bargain. It's cookies, gratuitousness dried fruit, and nuts that build my muffin top, not blueberries.

At gym, CREDIT moi, semi-order is returning, but the air conditioner installation isn't completed yet so that dumbbell order remains random. Kinda fun to go chasing after a matching pair. Took a walk, CREDIT moi, on a route that satisfied two errands and didn't go near food. Amazon delivered a book I'd ordered for DW. I get goosebumps when I get a book in the mail even if not for me, so ordering the books becomes my job.

onebyone – May your Official Weigh-in today reflect your staying the path. Good luck resolving the standard problem of promises made by optimistic projection - BTDT in my professional career.

Debbie (Lexxiss) – Yay for DH recovering sufficiently to get into the hot springs. Super CBT idea to dump the toast corners to avoid them calling to you. I do hope those awful fires get under control.

Nature Girl – Kudos for well executed eating plan for that long drive. And Double Kudos for avoiding the huge burgers next door.

Beverlyjoy – Yay for the back feeling a bit better. With Kudos for consecutive days on plan.

maryann - Kudos for getting right back on track. Have a glorious final day in Vermont.

Readers -
Quote:

Implement your chosen rule the next time you travel to see how well it works for you. Jordan found his rule to stick to his Think Thin Eating Plan too limiting, especially since he ate every meal for a week in restaurants. So he decided to eat 300 extra calories every other day of his six-day trip. The number on the scale went up a pound and a half. When he returned home, however, Jordan went back to his normal eating, continued to weigh himself, and lost the extra weight in the following week.

Judith S. Beck, Ph.D., The Complete Beck Diet for Life (Green book), pg 160.
Old 06-28-2012, 08:12 AM   #175  
newlifestyle

S/C/G: 250/200/177

Height: 5' 3"

Good Morning,

I just lost my post. It is so frustrating. I will try once again. Yesterday was a very trying day. I did well until about 2pm and then for some reason I thought I would try some of DH's mint m&m's, once I had those, I figured I might as well eat ice cream and so on....When all was said and done I had 512 more calories that I had allowed myself for the day. I then had the sabotaging thought that since I screwed up, I might as well not eat supper. I did have a healthy supper and today is a new day. I don't like that uncomfortable feeling I get when I go off plan. I am trying to learn I made a mistake get back on track. I find that using Beck strategies you are forced to look at yourself, whether it is comfortable or not.

Bill - you had mentioned in an earlier post about eating Ethiopian food. My sister in law is from Ethiopia and when she is making Ethiopian meals she cooks very healthy. I was surprised because I always the food was delicious but was filled with butter and oil. She explained the spices they use give it the real flavor. When I lived in Calgary there were a few good Ethiopian restaurants I went too but since moving here I haven't really found one. I only get Ethiopian food when I go back to Calgary or when she comes here to visit. Lol at trying to find the dumbbells that match. Visualizing a where's Waldo picture.

Gardenjoy- thanks for the info about the Wii Fit.

Debbie - Enjoy your day at the pool with DH. As I hear the report of the forest fires in Colorado, I worry about you. Take Care

Nature Girl – you have great ideas for snacks while driving. Great job not having the greasy burger.

Beverlyjoy – That is great your back is feeling better. Take Care

maryann - It is funny when I visit other cities, I have always thought every place has lush green areas but I just didn't see them. Gives me something to ponder...lol, Also thanks for the reminder This is a long race. There is no need to rush anything

Yanna- Thanks for sharing your credits. I need to remember this one- Not completely throwing in the towel when I mess up diet-wise.

Onebyone- Good luck with your weigh in.

Have a great day everyone. Waving hello to anyone I missed.
Old 06-28-2012, 06:17 PM   #176  

S/C/G: 271/219/healthy

Height: 5'4 1/2"

Hi folks... yesterday was a healthy food day - I am always grateful for that. I accomplished some of my goals: planned/measured/logged food, lots of water, always left a bite, watched my sodium, weighed,posted here & tried to taste the food.

My little water the garden helper came again this morning. He help watering the annuals, veggies and any newly planted plants. It's very very hot with little rain. Ugh... plants are stressed out.

I hope you are all doing well.
Old 06-28-2012, 10:27 PM   #177  
GlenwoodHotSprings

S/C/G: 275/179/179

Height: 5'5"

Hi Coaches!

I'm very tired tonight but we had a great day! DH was like a fish in the pool feeling just great to enjoy some moments without the gravity effect. We decided to take our own dinner to the picnic, since he is eating very carefully-post gout. We made a good choice since the two main dishes were ribs and KFC. We'll go back over either tomorrow eve or very early Saturday morning. Think I'll turn in soon before my addict brain starts telling me that food will make the tired go away.
Old 06-28-2012, 10:39 PM   #178  
persist

S/C/G: 322/310/299

Height: 5' 6"

Smile results

Coaches

It's getting late here but I had to stop in and check in *credit*

I had my official weigh in and it was this number: 255.6 So far, on my Weight Watchers journey, this is my lowest number to date. I was close to this number in APRIL when I was 255.8. So, I've been bouncing between 255 and 263 or so for 2+ months. I am so ready to let the 250's go and now I have added incentive. My Key West sister joined WW and she has challenged me to a week of staying within my daily points only and not dipping into the weekly ones. Personally, I have zero guilt over doing that but my sister says that thats when I'll *really* lose weight; when I can let go the extra weekly points. I will always use my weekly points but I do want to say bye bye to the 250's ASAP so I am taking her up on that challenge. So for today I was 100% on plan with this. It did require me to do a very Beckian thing: plan my food out 100% in advance to get maximum bang for my point allottment. I informed DH that I had a "bet" with my sister and he knows not to get in the middle of us so he is being supportive in spite of this being a holiday weekend/his first week of 2 weeks of holiday/ and his birthday next week. Lots of eating challenges to navigate. My resistance muscle will be getting a workout for sure.

*credit* for scheduling physicals for both of us next Friday morning. Ugh I say about that.

I really want to do personals but I have got to get to sleep. So I'll leave that for tomorrow morning's post. Have a good night.
Old 06-29-2012, 06:15 AM   #179  
Super Moderator

Thumbs up Friday

Diet Coaches/Buddies - Eating on plan, CREDIT moi, included dinner on the patio and only one serving of fruit for dessert. So far, we've escaped the killer heat in the three digits that's hit elsewhere - just seasonably warm.

DW and I walked up a local hill, Mount Towanda, CREDIT moi; since once isn't that big a deal we did it twice to get in two hours of hiking. Both of us are testing new boots/sandals and socks in preparation for this summer.

onebyone – Congrats on that new low. Super neat that you'll use your sister to help with the next phase. Kudos for scheduling physicals.

Debbie (Lexxiss) – Kudos to you and your DH both for passing on the ribs and KFC. I don't like the smell of either wafting my way because I immediately just want want want. So glad to read that your DH is happily swimming after such a difficult time as a prisoner in bed.

Beverlyjoy – Ouch for your "very very hot with little rain" - that stresses humans as well as plants. Glad you've got help with watering.

Ann (Newlifestyle) - The key strategy, "today is a new day" - Kudos for getting right back on track. [I'd love to have a SIL to teach me to cook Ethiopian dishes. We have good Ethiopian restaurants around here, but I tend to overeat when we go.]

Readers -
Quote:

Nancy decided it wasn't worth using Travel Calories on subsequent trips because it had taken her so long to lose even the small amount of weight she had gained on a previous trip. When she travels, she continually reminds herself why it's worth it to stick to her usual number of calories. After practicing her new rule on several trips, it became much easier for Nancy to stick to her plan. She now has the confidence to do it, and her determination has grown because she knows it's worth it.

Judith S. Beck, Ph.D., The Complete Beck Diet for Life (Green book), pg 160.
Old 06-29-2012, 12:24 PM   #180  

Wow- last night was the first time I've ever fallen asleep with the computer on my lap! Usually it's a book open that I drop...Anyway, because of that I didn't post my progress from yesterday: pretty good, actually.
Stayed with my 4 food rules: No Sugar, No Booze, No Eating Standing Up, and No Eating in the Car. The last one was tricky because I was back and forth to the hospital so many times; got hungry for morning snack so I sat in the parking lot in the back seat of my Dad's Civic and ate my grapes and almonds. Shopped at a new store and discovered many, many aisles where I had to say "That's not about me." (Candy, beer, cookies, baking mixes, etc.) Did my PT strength work at 9PM, and thought oh heck I won't go for a walk; stood on the porch in the warm, light, quiet evening, changed my mind, and walked the neighborhood for 30 minutes...still not dark at 10:15!
Mom did well yesterday; made a lot of progress and kept a positive attitude when they asked for a lot of effort at PT, etc. Probably coming home Saturday.
I'm like onebyone with her dishes - didn't do it last night but got to it right away this morning instead of letting a new habit slide! Today's report tonight BEFORE other web surfing
Closed Thread