Beck Diet Solution A step-by-step program to learn specific techniques to stay on our diet, lose weight, and maintain our weight loss for life.

Closed Thread

Old 11-18-2011, 05:30 AM   #121  
Simply Filling Technique

Smile

The past couple of nights I haven't gotten to bed before 6 a.m. I stayed up tonight because I have come down with a cold and I just knew that the post nasal drip would keep me awake if I were horizontal. I am becoming quite a card player. I will just respond to all of your comments overall.

*Thanks for the tips on preparing vegetables. I now embrace them rather than disdain them.

*Yes, I agree that what we don't use we lose. I know a few people who are like that lady in the senior home. How tragic but a pointed reminder to us that we can make our old age have a different outcome.

*Isn't it wonderful when our Beck skills work when we most need them?

For 11/17:

Calories: 1817
Carbs: 258
Fat: 57
Protein: 59
Fiber: 30
Sodium: 1294

I had to double check on my sodium. I rarely have it that low. I had one meal that consisted of 1/2 cup dried cranberries, 1/4 cup raw walnuts and 2 TB mini chocolate chips. Under 400 calories and it satisfied me for a meal. Who knew?

I only read the response cards that I feel are most pertinent to what is going on in my day. Right now, it is about avoiding slippery slopes, eating to normal fullness, leaving food on my plate, and maintaining balance in the rest of my life.

Pam
Old 11-18-2011, 06:30 AM   #122  
Super Moderator

S/C/G: 239/173/165

Height: 5'9"

Thumbs up Friday

Diet Coaches/Buddies - Navigated the spread of food at an award ceremony, CREDIT moi. I thought about having a second sandwich because they were small, but didn't. I did have a brownie wedge as a dessert - Ouch - but it's a blip, not a downward spiral.

Got another set of baseboards painted, CREDIT moi. It goes slowly; there are 11 sets total and I can do no more than one per day because I have to let them dry well before re-installing them.

Joy (gardenerjoy) – Thanks for the reminder that we can shape our order at a restaurant; just DO IT. Congrats on the new low, especially since it caught you by surprise.

Debbie (Lexxiss) – Terrific example of eating slowly and mindfully so that you could make the decision not to continue with the slice of pie - Kudos. I couldn't have done that in the old days when I'd have wolfed the pie down before I even thought about the taste.

Beverlyjoy – Ouch for the pain of chasing down false credit card charges. Double Ouch for the drunk at the door of your DS's place. Now I'm double locking my doors.

pamaga – Kudos for "accepting that I do not have to eat at after event receptions" - just because it's there doesn't mean we have to indulge. Wow, this staying up all night doesn't sound comfortable; hope you get some rest soon.

maryann - Yay for riding out the hurricane with awareness preparing yourself for the next calm period. Love the thought of long walks in Tahoe.

Readers -
Quote:
chapter 4 Stage 1 The Success Skills Plan
Success Skill 6 Overcome Hunger, Cravings, and Emotional Eating
experiment 5 Prove that you can make cravings go away.
what to do . . .
. . .
7. Read all of your Response Cards.
8. Read your Advantages Deck.
9. Imagine the aftermath of giving in. First, think about how disappointed you will be if you give in, the way you probably have many, many times in the past. Then think about how strong and in control you will feel if you resist.

. . .

Judith S. Beck, Ph.D., The Complete Beck Diet for Life (Green book), pg 85.
Old 11-18-2011, 12:13 PM   #123  

Default Diet Buddy Wanted to Begin Stage 1 Beck Diet

Hi all,

I was looking online for a Beck Diet buddy and came to your site, which looks very helpful. I want to complete Stage 1 by the end of the year and then begin a diet Jan. 1. I've already released 52 lbs. over 9 years and have only 18 left for the Hollywood bod I've always wanted, so I will be a great diet and wellness buddy for someone wanting to walk this path with me. Please let me know if you are interested!

Cheers,

BB
Old 11-18-2011, 12:25 PM   #124  

S/C/G: 271/219/healthy

Height: 5'4 1/2"

Hi Becksters/coaches/friends… yesterday was a healthy day - am always grateful for that.

I accomplished many of my goals: planned/measured/logged food, ate seated only, left a bite, lots of water, said No Choice to dh’s cookies (Credit!), thought about my resistance techniques, ...

My food was within my plan. My sodium was 1210mg. I did a meditation.

I resisted eating an extra snack before bed last night when I shouted back at the thoughts of 'what the heck… I just want it.' Credit.

My SIL called. We are going to her home Wednesday - overnight for Thanksgiving. She said that she bought me my own strawberry rhubarb mini pie. (Yikes) She spoke with DH and he announced the annual menu: Turkey, cornbread dressing (my dad’s recipe), candied sweet potatoes (at least I don‘t like these), rolls, mashed potatoes & gravy, cranberry salad, green bean casserole, pie & ice cream. Not one thing healthy besides turkey. I said I wanted to bring a salad, our family cucumber salad or relish tray. DH asked.. ‘Why? We don’t usually have a salad‘. DH’s family has certain food traditions that are never changed. Written in stone...LOL I will probably bring something healthy. I’ve got to start planning my strategy. It is only one meal. At least we will leave and take my step mom home and stay with her Thanksgiving evening. I won’t be in the same house with all the leftovers!

First Thanksgiving strategy - NO SECONDS
Second Thanksgiving strategy - don't eat something you can eat any other time of the year. I make myself healthy mashed potatoes all the time. I don't need to eat them with lots of butter and milk. I don't need to eat a roll.
Third Thanksgiving strategy - have a small portion of things that I like.

My wonderful SIL and I are the one's who battle the food/weight game. Seems we are never eating healthy at the same time. She lost 70 pounds and has started gaining it back. It's hard for her to see me being 'careful' when she isn't being careful about eating too much. So, if it's going to become an 'issue' of sorts I can always say... I've had an upset tummy and don't really want much. (I've used similar health reasons before.) Also... I really do have my yearly physical the week after Thanksgiving.

WELCOME Bellabruna - so glad you posted. Folks here are friendly and helpful and often, very wise.

Billbe - kudo’s for saying no to a second small sandwich. You’re right, a small wedge of brownie doesn’t have to send you into a downward spiral.

Pam - I hope your cold is over soon! Yes, it’s hard to keep the sodium low - credit!! I think you have a good attitude about so many things.

Gardener/joy - yes, indeed. Waitstaff at restaurants are very used to people asking for things in a particular way.

I hope everyone has a great day.

Last edited by Beverlyjoy; 11-19-2011 at 06:27 AM.
Old 11-18-2011, 03:58 PM   #125  
persist

S/C/G: 316/307/299

Height: 5' 6"

Thumbs up from out of the blue

Hi Coaches:

I joined weight Watchers yesterday and I have to say, for me, for now, this feels perfect. I was shocked. I have done WW twice before: when I was 10 and when I was around 33. Not great experiences. The last time I spent all my points on crap food: sugary things and still came in with the right daily point value. Of course I blamed their program for being of poor quality; like how can they ALLOW me to eat crap food and have it be okay???

See? Crazy thinking around food in action there.

This time I have no desire to do any of that. I've changed. I'm thrilled to have a structure too. I'm so floaty and unrooted right now this feels good and grounding. The meetings though are still rather light-weight, but they do their best and the best I can do is go, be there, show up, and participate. I may even *gasp* make a friend. I heard something VERY amusing there

Meeting Leader: Any questions? Anyone? Yes, you. *points to a sassy grey-haired gal*
Grey Gal: Do you know what weighs more? Human bone or titanium?
Meeting Leader: I think titanium is lighter than bone... *looking puzzled*
Grey Gal: Oh Goody! I'm getting my new hip next week and that means my weight will go down!

This was very funny to me. Equally amusing was watching the members step on the scale to weigh in. I remember the small cubicles with drawn curtains and the scornful look of the WW staff as they wrote your weight down, especially if you had a gain (and we all know we go up and down from week to week even if we are 100% OP) *shudder* It's much better now all out in the open. You don't even have to see it and I didn't look or ask, just shut my little folder up and looked hours later. Who cares what the number is anyway, I thought. But I digress. I was watching to see how much stuff people took off when they weighed in and what floored me were the women who left their big knee high boots on! I would have taken those off for sure. I chuckled as I removed my glasses (wanted to stop myself but couldn't on that one) so the weight of those plastic frames and lenses wouldn't be added to my total. Sheesh!

Anyway FINALLY I have a plan. What a relief. I feel like I can start posting here again. I've been such a mess coaches--you have no idea.

Have a great day.
Old 11-18-2011, 04:48 PM   #126  

S/C/G: 173/181/ 165

Height: 5'6

Happy Weekend.
Welcome Bella Bruna!
Onebyone: That is terrific you started Weight Watchers. I learned a great deal every time I joined and I enjoyed the meetings. There are points in your life when more structure is needed. That is what I believe.
Beverleyjoy: Thanks for reminding me during the holidays I will only eat things that will not be available the rest of the year and no seconds. if I add, EAT ONLY SITTING DOWN I will be way ahead of the game.
BBE: Congrats on the base board and one small sand which.

I am heading down to the ranch for our annual Pecan Picking Potluck ( alliteration not intended.) We have 5 acres of Pecans we don't commercially harvest. We invite family and friends to come pick what they want for the holidays and then we BBQ tri tip. My husband loves it. I am not a party - thrower but I usually enjoy it once it has all started.
I am making hummus with red pepper for the weekend and I have made a commit to walk an hour Sat. and Sun. Up .4 lbs today. I am packing my scale with me.

Last edited by maryann; 11-18-2011 at 04:49 PM.
Old 11-18-2011, 11:08 PM   #127  
Green Tomatoes

I wrote black and tan into my plan today and enjoyed it with the movie The Secret of Roan Inish. We're going to Ireland in June -- Irish beer and Irish movies seem like good preparation.

WI: -0.05kgs (new low), Exercise: +25 780/1300 minutes for November, Food: 100%op, Read my Advantages and Responses: yes

Welcome, bellabruna!

Hey, onebyone! It's always wonderful to see you pop up! I laughed out loud with Grey Gal! Weight Watchers sounds like a perfect support system for a new city.
Old 11-19-2011, 07:30 AM   #128  
Super Moderator

Thumbs up Welcome BB (bellabruna)

BB (bellabruna)

And, on the occasion of your first post,

How did you learn about the books by Dr. Judith Beck?

And how did you find the Beck Forum on 3 Fat Chicks?
Old 11-19-2011, 07:38 AM   #129  
Super Moderator

Thumbs up Saturday

Diet Coaches/Buddies - Once again the target of my walk (CREDIT moi) was to buy light bulbs for the new track lighting in our bedroom. Once again I was amazed at the variety of bulbs available. The track is now populated with lights aimed directly at . . . the walls where something will hang when we get around to re-hanging the stuff on our walls, LOL. I do like the effect of light and dark areas in the room instead of the uniform glow from a mid ceiling fixture. Food was on track, CREDIT moi, including left over New England boiled dinner.

Need help from anyone who thinks about the use of English, including Joy (gardenerjoy) and maryann. DW said, "This makes for good leftovers." I replied, "Yes, it leaves well." And the debate started. Should I have said, "It left-overs well?" Is there a way to say what I meant?

onebyone – Kudos for your clarity, "the best I can do is go, be there, show up, and participate." Gotta agree with that. LOL at the Grey Gal story.

Joy (gardenerjoy) – Now that's taking seriously your preparation for a trip to Ireland.

Beverlyjoy – Love you "shouting back" at your Sabotaging Thoughts. Would think you could cower them into going away, LOL. Kudos for clear strategies for Thanksgiving. I might just borrow those.

maryann - Your Pecan Picking Potluck always sounds fun. When I was a kid, pecans came from trees - presumably they were sold in stores but who'da bought them when they grew on trees, LOL.

BB (bellabruna) - Congrats on those 52 pounds gone forever by a slow, steady process. You're obviously already doing something right. You're reading the "green" book, which is the source of the daily quote below. Stage 1 is the exciting part. It's neat that you have a date to start your new food plan.

On this thread, we serve as Diet Buddy (green book) or Diet Coach (pink book) to each other. We'd be delighted for you to join in; we'll be Diet Buddy to you and ask that you serve that role for us. Glad you've joined us.

Readers -
Quote:
what to do . . .
. . .
10. Try an activity from your Distractions Box. If you finish it and are still experiencing a craving, try another distraction ... and then another.
11. Once the craving passes, note how much time has elapsed.
12. Give yourself enormous credit for doing this experiment.

Old 11-19-2011, 09:20 AM   #130  
Simply Filling Technique

Smile

bellabruna--so glad to hear that you have decided to finish the remainder of your weight lose with the Beck Diet principles. You will be glad that you did.

onebyone on finding your food plan you wish to follow from here on out. WW is an original and was at the fore front long before all of these others hung up their shingles. Great to hear that you are feeling more grounded as a result. I have often said that procrastinating on anything is more agony than just up and doing it. on "up and doing it!"

Bill Great Job on the painting and how you handled the reception food. I had the wonderful pleasure of driving down a grove of pecan trees just outside of Austin, TX on a hot day. It smelled like pecan pie baking in the oven. I thought I had died and gone to pie heaven.

I have never heard of the term "It leaves well." Is that a regional expression?

beverlyjoy Have you ever shared with your SIL the Beck Diet Solution books? I wonder if she could end up being an ally rather than an nemesis during family gatherings. It sounds like there might be some kind of competition between the two of you. Just one word before you go: do not cave into the people pleasing part of you that will sabotage your carefully laid strategy to avoid overeating on Thanksgiving; which, by the way, is just wonderful in its specific outline. You can do this!!

I agree with Bill. I think your plan is worthy of C/Ping which is exactly what I did.

gardenerjoy
You will love Ireland. My DH is 90% Irish ancestry and he along with most of his family have beaten a path between the U.S. and "over yonder." We are going as soon as I can walk better. I don't want to waste a moment when I do.

maryann Do you have a specific recipe for the hummus with red peppers? If you do, please share. I would love to try it.

Well, I have been up 17 hours without sleep. I tried around 2 a.m. when my husband came in (after an emergency tuning downtown that went from 8 p.m.-1:30 a.m.). I have had the screwiest nights for the past week or longer. No, my usual sleep aids are not helping. I now have a cold and a very sore throat to boot. It is the crazy weather we have been having for the past week. 70s on Tuesday and Wednesday then 30s and 40s since Thursday.

For 11/18:

Calories: 1898
Carbs: 244
Fat: 70
Protein: 91
Fiber: 18
Sodium: 2906

Pam

Last edited by pamatga; 11-19-2011 at 09:22 AM.
Old 11-19-2011, 05:28 PM   #131  

S/C/G: 271/219/healthy

Height: 5'4 1/2"

Hi Beck folks - Yesterday was a healthy day. I am always grateful for that.

I accomplished many of my goals: planned/measured/logged food, ate seated only, no seconds, stretches & strengthening, lots of water, used my resistance techniques a few times, weigh (down) and more.

Last night I fell asleep early in my lazy boy chair. When I woke up at 12:30, my first thought was to go eat something. I pushed through using some resistence techniques. Credit.

Sodium - 1510
Short meditation

At dinner I ‘practiced’ my very slow eating. Every once in a while I will use my watch to wait thirty seconds between bites of food. It helps me think about eating slowly. Actually, my dinner took over 20 minutes to eat. Credit.

My list of strategies for Thanksgiving is growing:
- No seconds
- Small portion of things I like
- Only eat things that I don’t eat other times during the year
- Eat seated only (thanks MaryAnn for this one) I do, however, have to make the gravy which means a few tastes at the stove. I will be mindful this.
- I am thinking of adding the 30 second ‘rule’ for this meal.
(I will write these down in my journal daily as a reminder Hopefully, I‘ll remember them and find willingness to use them.)
I think to myself… it’s kind of ‘crazy’ to put so much effort into not eating or overeating certain foods at a meal. I guess it goes with the nature of my addiction.

I did not take the time for my arc/rc and reading Beck - I need to read those today.

Onebyone - so glad you joined Weight Watchers and find it better than before. I have many friends who like the program and find much success and support from the meetings. I was a member years ago. I recall all the weighing in ‘rituals’ that folks go through, too. I can totally understand how it can be a relief to have a plan.

Maryann - thanks for the idea of adding ‘eat seated only’ to the list. Good reminder. Have a wonderful time Pecan Picking Potluck. Red pepper hummus is my favorite flavor.

Gardener/joy - many good credits!

Billbe - good job leaving New England boiled dinner for another meal. I am glad you are enjoying your new lighting! I got a giggle of your the imagery of my ‘cowering sabotaging thought’.

Pam - yes, I have told my SIL about Beck. She’s not much interested in it. There is no competition at all between us as for food and weight loss. I just don’t think she likes to be gaining when I am losing. I know how that feels. She’s half happy for me… wishing it was her too. Thanks so much for your wonderful encouragement for that day. I appreciate it.
I am sorry you are still feeling sick with your cold and sore throat. It’s the pits when you can’t sleep. I have a friend who listens to guided meditations for relaxation and sleep.. She says it sometimes helps.

Last edited by Beverlyjoy; 11-19-2011 at 08:26 PM.
Old 11-19-2011, 06:31 PM   #132  
50 and Fabulous :)

S/C/G: 250/229/160

Height: 5'4"

WELCOME BELLABRUNA!

Just saying Hey! Busy busy weekend shooting but I just wanted to say hey because I was thinking of you all
Old 11-19-2011, 06:52 PM   #133  
GlenwoodHotSprings

S/C/G: 275/179/179

Height: 5'5"

Hi Coaches/Buddies/Friends!

I've had a couple of rough days with food, but I never give up. Last night ended on a good note. DH was in the mood to "go out" and suggested several "chains". Instead, I found a small local (Denver) spot which advertised "healthy Asian fusion". We were pleasantly surprised and I had a healthy and enjoyable meal, which included a great Asian chopped salad, one of my favorites.

BillBlueEyes, I might have said, "it holds well" or "it reheats well" or "it always seems better the second time around." Hmm...will enjoy hearing other responses, oh, and credit for OP eating.

Welcome bellabruna!

gardenerjoy, kudos for fitting your Irish evening into your plan and congrats on a new low!

MaryAnn, I remember your Pecan Picking Potlluck from last year and recall you enjoyed it and fared well with food. Here's to another!

onebyone, yay for feeling good and grounded with your WW choice. I thought of you last night as I walked in the door. It feels very good to have "a plan" which I always return to, even when I've had an off day

Beverlyjoy, super YAY for resisting that extra snack just before bed! Kudos for a great TG strategy! I'm curious as to why you are getting the special mini-pie? Also as to why your DH seems to not understand why you desire to bring a salad? Sorry, if questions are too personal? Bringing a salad, for me, has been one of my best success strategies.

Pam(atga), sorry for your continued lack of rest. Kudos for keeping up with your Beck skills in the meantime. In addition practicing my daily skills, I, too, am seeking balance in my life.

DH has a splinter which needs taken out. He just came in. Take care everyone!
Old 11-19-2011, 11:05 PM   #134  
Green Tomatoes

A good healthy day.

WI: +0.4kgs, Exercise: +45 825/1300 minutes for November, Food: 95%op, Read my Advantages and Responses: yes

Bill(BillBlueEyes): LOL at "it left-overs well." Turning nouns into verbs is one of the things that makes English fun, although it drives purists a bit crazy. If I were writing that scene, I would take it as an opportunity to move the plot forward--"It will make a great lunch tomorrow."
Old 11-20-2011, 06:03 AM   #135  
Super Moderator

Thumbs up Sunday

Diet Coaches/Buddies - Walked (CREDIT moi) to a vegan restaurant because DW was craving a repeat of her vegan bacon cheeseburger (yep, sic). I also had a veggie burger to stay on plan for the day, CREDIT moi. Chore was one more set of baseboards painted, CREDIT moi. Each set I find my criticism of my work decreases. I'm becoming a mediocre painter without remorse, LOL.

Thanks for your help with, "Yes, it leaves well." I doubt it's a regional expression since this was the first time I ever heard it myself. I cringe every time I think of someone trying to learn English.

Joy (gardenerjoy) – Yep, "Transitive verb your nouns," he depuristed.

Debbie (Lexxiss) – I have no idea what means, "healthy Asian fusion" - but I do understand "a healthy and enjoyable meal" - Kudos for good choices.

Beverlyjoy – Yep, it does seem ‘crazy’ - but people put mucho effort into things that matter all the time. We seem stuck with the idea that rational eating should be effortless.

Pam (pamaga) – Ouch for needing to switch between air conditioning and heating in one day - with Kudos for keeping your eating on plan anyway. Love the thought of that drive through a grove of pecan trees.

Donamari (fyreflie24) – Waving back. Love the notion that you're shooting pictures of kids that will be cherished for generations.

Readers -
Quote:
If this experience was meaningful to you, write a card for your Memory Box. Here is what Sophia wrote:
_____________Memory Card
I can't believe it. I don't actually ever remember actively
resisting a craving before. I always gave in! It lasted
less than 10 minutes. I don't think I ever quite believed
before that cravings go away. They always seemed so
intense. Now, I know all the things I can do to wait out
a craving.
Closed Thread