Old 09-13-2014, 02:11 PM   #16  
Larry's Angel

Location: NW New Jersey But, My Heart's In Pittsburgh!! GO STEELERS & PENGUINS!!!

S/C/G: 245/143/145

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adventuregurl View Post
Since I'm not a big lover of eggs (especially for everyday) would it be ok to have a protein powder in water with coconut oil some days?

I don't believe there are any carbs but I will check.
Sorry, that would not be permitted on Atkins.

There are many things you can eat besides eggs. Heck, you can eat leftovers from dinner if you want There are lots of tasty recipes here:
http://www.genaw.com/lowcarb/recipes.html
and those marked with an * are Induction friendly.
JerseyGyrl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2014, 06:20 PM   #17  

Thanks for that, is whey protein ever allowed?

I ask because I'm celiac (allergic to gluten) and have to travel cross country and it's often hard to find things I can eat. I am also crossing the border, on my first day, and the US is notorious for wanting to take away food that is not packaged and sealed.

My last trip I ended up starving half the time and then went for some bad things which I at least knew were gluten free.

Last edited by Adventuregurl; 09-13-2014 at 06:26 PM.
Adventuregurl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2014, 06:43 PM   #18  
maintaining since 9/2013

Doctors are notoriously underinformed when it comes to nutrition and diet, let alone diabetes management. Doesn't stop them from acting like they know what they're talking about. Citing articles that end in .com as evidence means you are relying on information from a commercial enterprise. It may be true or not, but the agenda is to sell.

There's nothing wrong with including your doctor in selecting and then monitoring health while dieting, especially if there is a history of medical problems. Selecting a diet depends on anyones unique factors. But there is an overwhelming & growing body of peer-reiewed research that suggests low carb WOE reduces risk of metabolic syndrome and its life-threatening consequences.

Last edited by mars735; 09-13-2014 at 06:43 PM.
mars735 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2014, 09:06 AM   #19  
Larry's Angel

Location: NW New Jersey But, My Heart's In Pittsburgh!! GO STEELERS & PENGUINS!!!

Quote:

I ask because I'm celiac (allergic to gluten) and have to travel cross country and it's often hard to find things I can eat. I am also crossing the border, on my first day, and the US is notorious for wanting to take away food that is not packaged and sealed.

My last trip I ended up starving half the time and then went for some bad things which I at least knew were gluten free.
I would suggest reading this. It gives a good explanation of so-called "healthy" protein shakes.
http://www.100daysofrealfood.com/201...rotein-shakes/

Old 09-14-2014, 09:11 AM   #20  
Larry's Angel

Quote:
Originally Posted by mars735 View Post
Doctors are notoriously underinformed when it comes to nutrition and diet, let alone diabetes management. Doesn't stop them from acting like they know what they're talking about. Citing articles that end in .com as evidence means you are relying on information from a commercial enterprise. It may be true or not, but the agenda is to sell.

There's nothing wrong with including your doctor in selecting and then monitoring health while dieting, especially if there is a history of medical problems. Selecting a diet depends on anyones unique factors. But there is an overwhelming & growing body of peer-reiewed research that suggests low carb WOE reduces risk of metabolic syndrome and its life-threatening consequences.
^^^^^^
Old 09-15-2014, 12:39 AM   #21  

Quote:
Originally Posted by JerseyGyrl View Post
I would suggest reading this. It gives a good explanation of so-called "healthy" protein shakes.
http://www.100daysofrealfood.com/201...rotein-shakes/

Thanks for that, you are a wealth of information!

My Naturopath who is VERY picky about what one should eat does recommend whey protein shakes, the ones that are organic, sugar free, low carb. and from grass fed beef etc. so I thought they were ok. It's so hard to know what to eat when travelling and allergic to gluten .
Old 09-18-2014, 05:13 AM   #22  

S/C/G: 187+hi/177.7start IP/109/112.7

Height: 4'10"

Quote:

Hi adventure girl...
"Celiac is one of the few diseases where the cure is easy...staying gluten free."
- quoting my youngest daughter. The first family member who was diagnosed with celiac...(we have 3 diagnosed at this time....and several of the rest of in the clan have gluten intolerance....and a host of other food allergies.)

We recently did a family international trip and it is possible to bring GF food across the border with a Dr's letter in your possession. We had 2 suitcases full!! Suggest also contacting the airline ahead to be sure they are going to "get" your issue and find out what they may require.They're all different.

Resorts are becoming sensitive to the problem and the one we all stayed at in June had GF meeting with my 2 daughters immediately when we arrived as one of the kids is newly diagnosed. They had a GF restaurant...and the menues at all the restaurants had GF items marked on the menu...and the kitchen was alerted to our family's issues, and when we were seated the main chef came to our table every night. I also had a really pleasant experience at a second resort in Mexico this summer after the family trip. The chef at the second one actually prepared me a "salad" for breakfast daily while I was there with an egg white-veggie omlette or poached egg and a lemon/lime olive oil dressing...fresh sliced avacado...asparagus and other fresh veggies (I should post a picture if I remember to do it.) My sister actually suggested showing a pic to the chef because I had a picture on my phone of my "normal" Sunday breakfast compared to my husband's (who is not GF...and mine looks better!)... It is a great idea if you are traveling to do this at home because you can use pictures in a setting where English may not be readily understood. When we were telling him what I needed and he saw the photo...he looked up and HE said.."CELIAC??? " One morning he actually made me "dessert" too......a chocolate brownie! Still warm...!!He said he figured I did not get that kind of treat often...and he was right! I am on maintenance...AND YES Ma'am...I ate the thing ...with breakfast! I suggest you make yourself a few GF meals and arrange them on the plate so they can be seen clearly then photograph them...egg whites/poached or over easy eggs and sauteed red and green peppers with mushrooms.... Grilled plain chicken, beef or sea food and lettuce and steamed veggies on the side. Maintenance is easier...but using powder/shakes in maintenance is a good backup for emergencies if you can not get what you need. There are sites you can print a card in a variety of languages that describes your problem. Good idea to have a stack of them with you to give the waiter or restaurant people. We used them a lot and had no trouble on our trip.

Business travel may be more challenging, esp if you are moving around. But we actually find it is easy to stick to unprocessed foods when outside the USA, chicken, meat, eggs, fish and fruits and vegetables are no brainers. Other countries do NOT have the amount of processed food in their restaurants. Uhhh...yes...you don't get to sample "local cuisine" in most instances...but at home that is often not what happens either if you are dealing with allergies and celiac. We also have peanut allergies and some other severe food allergies, so our travel has become as easy as possible by taking control...and managing things on the front end proactively..

Travel is not about food for us...except to say we have been able to get what we need keeping it simple...and stay safe using common sense. We keep it simple to be sure of what we are getting...and always have something with us in the event what is needed is not available. Rice crackers, "sun" butter, raisins, individually prepackaged GF bars and protein shake powder are travel staples.

Good luck with it all.....as for travel...it gets easier the more you do. And for the record, sticking to a GF diet actually makes maintenance MUCH easier. If the stuff makes you physically ill...it is not a hard decision to avoid something that is going to do that to you. We make those decisions daily in the US too. And avoiding processed food at home is actually harder.

Last edited by 65X65; 09-18-2014 at 05:48 AM.
65X65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2014, 04:01 PM   #23  

65x65, thanks for the info. I've been gluten free for a long time and travelled lots BUT, I'm also grain and starchy carb free, and I'm doing a driving trip which will be 4-5 days long, and on day 1 I cross the border first thing in the am.

I know it can be done in resorts etc. as I've been to many and had no problem, but most places when I ask about gluten free, they say yes, we have gluten free pasta and bread....well that's great but I don't eat those things!

The drive-across border will not allow opened, unpackaged meat, vegetables, and nuts etc., and I don't eat soy so I just don't know what to bring with to survive the drive.

Any ideas on what to bring to last me 4 days in the car? Where I'm driving is rather desolate and there are not many places that offer gluten free options hence my starvation last time. The saving grace then was I was coming the other way and had some of my own food as I didn't have to cross the border until day 4.

Last edited by Adventuregurl; 10-08-2014 at 04:03 PM.
Old 11-05-2014, 10:38 AM   #24  

S/C/G: 130/113/110

Height: 5'2

Default Switching from Ideal Protein to Adkins

I just switched from IP to Adkins,so far so good. I switched to make life a bit more enjoyable. IP is very restrictive but got the job done. I lost 23 pounds and have kept all but 4 off. I am just starting Adkins this week and have lost 3 pounds so far,again I know its water weight but I was happy to see the scale move and I dont feel like I am starving,which I did many times in the beginning of IP.
I should note that I have done Adkins many many times over the last 15 years,I do very well and then slip this time I am hoping for a more balanced cycle. I have to stay away from sugar and white flour thats just the plain fact as much as I would like to fool myself in to thinking I can have "just one bite" I simply can not.
I also loke Adkins better because I am a runner and you can not work out at all on phase1-3 of IP.
Let meknow how your doing I am curious to hear.
baicar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2014, 10:51 AM   #25  
Larry's Angel

Quote:
Originally Posted by baicar View Post
I just switched from IP to Adkins,so far so good. I switched to make life a bit more enjoyable. IP is very restrictive but got the job done. I lost 23 pounds and have kept all but 4 off. I am just starting Adkins this week and have lost 3 pounds so far,again I know its water weight but I was happy to see the scale move and I dont feel like I am starving,which I did many times in the beginning of IP.
I should note that I have done Adkins many many times over the last 15 years,I do very well and then slip this time I am hoping for a more balanced cycle. I have to stay away from sugar and white flour thats just the plain fact as much as I would like to fool myself in to thinking I can have "just one bite" I simply can not.
I also loke Adkins better because I am a runner and you can not work out at all on phase1-3 of IP.
ATKINS works!!
Old 11-26-2014, 11:03 PM   #26  

S/C/G: SW 323/281/180

Quote:
Originally Posted by baicar View Post
Baicar,
How is your weighloss going so far on Atkins? I was on Ideal Protein also and I'm curious if your weekly weightloss is the same as it was on IP
Mitsu23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2015, 11:48 PM   #27  

S/C/G: 170/168/145

Height: 5'8

I just switched from IP to Atkins too. I was on Atkins WOE for many years. Lost 50 lbs and kept it off for 10 years. A few years ago, for some dumb reason, I had to have pie at Thanksgiving and then another piece of pie later and then Christmas came around and all those cookies..... Well I put on 35 lbs in the next couple years. I tried to get back on track with induction and just couldn't do it for some reason so I tried IP. Lost the weight again but as soon as I started to add food back in, I started gaining the weight back. So I started Atkins again on Monday. I hope I can get it going again.
KarinF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2015, 12:56 PM   #28  

S/C/G: 152/152/135

I'm considering moving from IP to Atkins. My husband is on Atkins and it would make life simpler if we could plan our meals together. If I am in Phase 1 of IP and in ketosis, wouldn't I just jump to OWL in Atkins? I think having done induction in IP there is no need to do induction again? Any thoughts.....
texasgirl1966 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2015, 08:39 AM   #29  

S/C/G: 229/201/148

Default IP to Atkins

I would love to hear from any of you that posted you were planning on transitioning from IP to Atkins! How's it going? Did you continue to lose weight?

I need to transition from IP in two months to start marathon training. I still want to be low carb since my body responds well to it (no issues with hunger or craving and I find it easy to do) but I am not sure whether Atkins or Paleo or a low carb Eat Clean diet is best for me. Anyway, I'd love to know how the switch has gone for anyone that left IP to go to another "diet." Thanks!!
melissapit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2015, 05:56 PM   #30  

S/C/G: 130/113/110

I have been cycling back and forth between Ideal protein and Adkins and one thing I can tell you for sure is that THAT does not work..lol
I didnt get the results as fast on Adkins as I did on IP so I went back to IP for 3 weeks,and the second time around is hard. I decided because I run also that I need to stick to Adkins.
I can say that I lost more faster with Ideal Protein but long term I believe that Adkins is something I can live with and afford.
baicar is offline   Reply With Quote