Weight and Resistance Training Boost weight loss, and look great!

Old 08-17-2006, 09:36 AM   #1  
ZenLizzie

S/C/G: 250/250/150

Height: 5'4

Default Squats, lunges and weight

So, after taking group fitness classes I realized how much more of a leg workout I got from doing squats and lunges than from doing just lower body machines. However, to realize this I spent days and days walking like a cowboy because my legs hurt so bad. After the classes ended, I kind of stopped doing them, but I've reincorporated them into my lower body routine. I usually just do high repetitions with no extra weight and I can still feel it for days afterwards...
OK.. and now for the question...

Yesterday I saw a thin girl doing lunges with hand weights and I wondered is SHE getting more of a work out than me (using her legs to push up 130ishlbs + 10 extra lbs from the dumbells) or am I getting more of a workout (using my legs to push up 215lbs) ? I'm sure my body requires more muscle to carry it's weight around, so should I be building up to using higher weights or is my own extra body weight sufficient?
WastedThermos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2006, 12:18 PM   #2  

S/C/G: SW175/CW159/GW145

I would play it safe and go with just your body weight while you are feeling results, i.e., muscle tenderness. When the squats/lunges become easy and not enough of a challenge, then you might want to start adding weights. Better to go slow and safe then try to do something that might injure you.

Susan
artmaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2006, 01:52 PM   #3  
Powered by tofu

S/C/G: 207/203/140ish ??

Height: 5'4''

I agree with Susan. I don’t use any added weight for my squats and lunges and find them plenty challenging enough. I do use my stability ball sometimes though for a little something different. You can hold one over your head during squats to raise your center of gravity, or lean on to do leg lifts on the floor.
shananigans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2006, 03:34 PM   #4  

I will sometimes use 15 lb dumbbells in each hand for squats and lunges. But I am still working on flexibility, like getting down lower each time, so added weight is not yet important to me. I have a hard time holding a bar across my back, so I may never get to the point of using a weighted bar.
northernbelle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2006, 03:53 PM   #5  
Just Me

S/C/G: 364/--/182

Height: 5'6"

I used to use a barbell for doing my squats and lunges but like Northern Belle, I need to work on my flexibility. I haven't gone back to doing lunges and squats yet but if I do, I would probably concentrate on my flexibility first. I would definitely recommend working on form, flexibility and then adding weights when you are confident about those points.
nelie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2006, 08:34 AM   #6  

S/C/G: 266 / 179 / 165

Height: 5'7"

I had the same revelation as you when I switched from my in-home weight machine to free weights, after listening to the smart ladies here! :K: I don't do lunges yet, but do squats and plies. I started with 5/8/10 weights, which gave me the cowboy too. After that quit hurting and a re-start, I did it with no added weight. Still got cowboy legs. SO yes, I think no weight is fine until you hear yourself saying, I need something more with this. Then add the weights back in.

And yes, (I may be wrong), but I do think we are more muscular just due to the fact of carrying 200+ lbs around on our frame day in and day out than someone in the low 100's. Just my opinion though.

BTW, is that a photo of you? No way I would have guessed you as 215 in that pic. In fact, you look like someone famous, maybe a country singer - Martina? Or maybe it's the nascar jacket making me think that!
sportmom is offline   Reply With Quote