WW Clubs and Groups - #163 Bale of Turtles Going Swimmingly Well

Itryharder
07-26-2006, 02:53 PM
:carrot: :welcome3: We are the Turtle Group here at 3fatchicks.com. We welcome you to join us as we work toward good health and fitness in a persistent manner. As our inspiration we use the race between the turtle and the hare where the turtle was the victor because he didn't give up. We believe in keepin' on even when the odds are against us. We believe in giving each other support. Good luck to us all!
Judy
Itryharder
(for Lin and Lauren)

chrily
07-26-2006, 03:45 PM
Hi all...I'm sitting here enjoying the quiet...making cookies for the birthday party next week and just kickin back. ALl the kids are outside playing. Conner and Kyle are napping and my sister left me with all of them AGAIN! She's shopping and I'm the designated cookie maker.

All and all, its been a good day. I've been thinking about going to WW meetings. I'm so scared to meet other people. I'm about as shy as one person can get without being a total social phobic. How do I get over that hump??? I'm not sure if meetings are what I need but I do need to be held accountable for something.

Hi JUDY! Thanks for starting a new thread!

Chris

Itryharder
07-26-2006, 09:09 PM
Hi TUrtles,
Chris, don't worry about anything at a WW's mtg. Just go, you can always get a seat near the back, sit down and smile. It's fine to be shy, you don't have to talk or volunteer anything. The huge plus about WW's is the accountability at the scale. Each week you know you're going to be weighed in and for many people this "keeps them honest." It is something that can check a cheat and make people stop and think before they eat something.

Gee, I'm making it sound so good, maybe I'll get myself there soon.

Good luck to us all!
Judy Itry

Princess1122
07-27-2006, 09:48 AM
I agree with Judy, the meetings are a huge factor in accountability and the cheat factor... or lack of cheating, how ever you want to look at it.

Gloomy, rainy day here in Indy, no walking last night and tonight is doubtful. I guess I need to pull out my walk away the pounds CD and get moving in my livingroom.

Have to run!
Princess

chrily
07-27-2006, 07:59 PM
Judy, wish you lived closer and you could drag my sorry butt into a meeting with you. :D

It is so hot here today. I just don't feel like even moving. YUCK!

Gonna go and find something for dinner. Not sure what or how to cook it. My kitchen is a disaster area. Our main drain line clogged up last night and its still clogged so I have 2 sinks full of dishes and a load full of dirty ones in the dishwasher, along with everything from under the sink spread out all over my floor and counters. Not what I'd call a condusive cooking environment. Maybe it will have to be fast food tonight.

Chris

mousie
07-28-2006, 01:40 PM
Good morning Turtles. :) Today is a momentus day!

Today is my one year anniversary. It is one year since I started reclaiming myself, one year since we got home from our trip to England for my sister-in-law's wedding. At that wedding, in that culture, I had my size underscored in painful ways. Between the Minnesota wedding trip (July 4-July 11) and the England wedding trip (July 18-July 28) I realized that I HAD to do something about it. No matter how slowly I moved forward, I knew I never had the option of going back to careless, mindless eating.

Like a true Turtle, I moved slowly down my path. I started with WW Points. I had weeks where I stayed at just my daily points, weeks where I added just APs, weeks with APs and FPs, weeks where I just ate as I was hungry and counted no matter how high the number got...every variation of Points I could think of. Then I tried other stuff, all the time keeping careful notes about what worked for my body and what didn't.

And that brings me to now! I have established that my body loooooves protein, and can 'handle' any protein food I give it. I love veggies. Fruits, not so much--pineapple is my favorite, but most fruits just don't 'do' it for me. My body hates, hates, HATES white flour foods and sugar. I know it's a cliche, but it's true for my body. I get sleepy and headachy almost immediately when I have a meal that is either exclusively or mostly that sort of food (pasta, pizza, sandwiches, Asian noodle dishes). The difference between being "full" with a meat&veg meal and "full" (which I never really am) with a carb-y sweet meal is astounding! I feel quite confident that I know what my body needs and how to help it thrive. :)

So! A year's worth of results: my weight today is 254.5, down from 294. So I'm down 39.5 pounds for the year! The change is not fast by any means, but I feel confident that I've learned so much that I can keep it off without much struggle.

This picture is a bit hard to judge, I know, because the poses and the lighting are off. Hubby's going to help me with another picture later, but for now this is what I have. The picture on the left is "before", at the Minnesota wedding. On the right is "after", taken yesterday. Not a dramatic difference by any means, but the dress feels so loose on! It was custom tailored and it fit well, for that body. Now it definitely doesn't! If I move any amount in it it gets obscene pretty fast, actually...I spared you all THOSE pictures. ;)

http://www.soulshaven.f2s.com/images/photos/kits_photos/before_and_after.jpg

So this is me, at my one-year point. :)

LaurenH
07-28-2006, 02:28 PM
CONGRATULATIONS, MOUSIE!!!! :carrot: :woo: :balloons:

An entire year -- I am SO impressed! You're really an inspiration to me today.

The weight loss in your picture is definitely noticeable; way to go! (Beautiful dress, by the way; you look lovely in your "larger" photo, too.)

mpaigew
07-28-2006, 03:40 PM
Hi everyone! I just started back on WW, and have been posting on the general board...thought maybe I would post here as well!

My name is Paige, I'm a 26 yr old stay at home mom to two little girls, Emily (4yrs) and Cameron (1 1/2 yrs.) I am also a culinary student, double majoring in pastry arts and pro chef. If that weren't enough, I also have a little side business making cakes and other baked goods. I have a hard time controlling my weight as it is, so being around food all the time makes it that much harder. This week has been especially tough! I had a bride come to do a tasting on Wednesday, so I made a small version of their wedding cake, and I have a huge anniversary cake due tomorrow. I have done pretty well, though...my official WI isn't until Sunday, and I've already lost 4lbs! :carrot:
DH is doing WW with me; he looks like he's already lost a ton this week...figures!!! :p

Looking forward to getting to know you all!!!!

chrily
07-28-2006, 08:04 PM
Mousie...You can definitely tell a diffference. You are doing awesome. I wish I was doing as good as you. I guess I should just stop wishing and pouting and WORK!

Hey Paige! I'm back on WW too. This is my 4th week on it (?). I"m struggling still but I'll get a grip on it sooner or later.

Hi to the rest of you turtle girls. Gotta go work on the dishes in the tub. How gross! DH still is trying to get the main drain unplugged. That is his job for the evening. Hopefully we'll have a sink that drains when its supposed to in a couple hours. :D

Chris

Itryharder
07-29-2006, 08:40 AM
Hi Turtles,
:welcome: to Paige. I think you'll like it here. Reading about Mousie has to make everyone feel good!

Mousie,
:cp: :cp: :bravo: :cheer: :balloons: :bubbles: :carrot: :cb: :cloud9:
:dance: :dancer: :gift: :goodscale: :hat: :high: :jig:
Oh my goodness!!!! You certainly have done it. I loved reading your account
of this year's journey You were willing to experiment, but kept your eye on what you knew would be the way to win. Oh wow! You look beautiful in both your pictures. What I can think about most is how young you are and how this understanding how you lose weight and doing it will affect your entire life. Fabulous. Thanks for sharing the photos and the words about your anniversary and continued best wishes to you. :love:

To everyone,
Mousie didn't whine and she didn't complain throughout this year. When things weren't spiffy it seems to me that that was when she made a change and experimented again. Her exercise and eating worked even though this wasn't an "easy" year for her. I think I'm typing this because I realize that no year is "easy" for us. It's up to us to kick it in gear, learn the things that work for us, and keep on doing them. I bet there's not a person among us who wouldn't be thrilled with a 40# weight loss and Mousie went and did it.
Yay~you're an inspiration.

(Lauren, so glad you had a chance to see how Mousie has done. The internet is wonderful.)

All going well here. I'm trying to incorporate Flylady menu mailers into WW's with varied success, but now I am going to switch it around and use WW's Core as my plan and incorporate some of Flylady's recipes into that and simply count the extras as my 35 points.

Take care, be inspired by Mousie's success, and have a great weekend.
Love,
Judy
234.6/215/thinner into onederland :cool:

chrily
07-29-2006, 02:06 PM
Judy, I had no idea flylady had recipes. I thought she was just like the cleaning guru we should all bow down to and incorporate into our households. Where does she have recipes?????

The sink is unplugged...Halleluah! I got to do dishes last night. Get the kitchen cleaned up and we got the secondary mess in the laundry room cleaned up so that I could get back to my laundry. We had to go through the drain in the laundry room to unplug the kitchen. What a mess! I'm glad its all working now and we didn't have to call a plumber. Woo HOOOoo!

Today I'm doing fine! I've used 6 pts up so far and haven't really had an urge to snack so I feel somewhat more in control. I need to get my hubby to get the lose connection in the tv downstairs repaired so that I can do my exercising. I got a new bellydancing dvd that I've been just dying to try out but no tv to do it with.

Okay..the kids are teary eyed, and getting cranky. It's lunchtime and I need to feed my hungry troops.

Have a great afternoon, and I'll see what you all are up to later on.

Chris

mousie
07-29-2006, 02:07 PM
Welcome to the Turtles, Paige! Jump on in whenever you want, we're always listening. :)

Lauren and Ariana--thank you so much for your kind thoughts. I was looking forward to coming and telling the Turtles the most. :)

Judy, thank you sooo much for everything you had to say. I tried to always be upbeat, and look ahead rather than getting mired in where I was at the time. I'm flattered that you were/are inspired by me. :o

Itryharder
07-29-2006, 03:29 PM
Mousie,
Right back at you! And congrats again.

Chris,
The reason I mention Flylady is because she has simple solutions to lots of things and I love her attitude where she says we are never behind. Just jump in and don't worry about catching up. As far as recipes, she has a link to Leanne who offers menus and recipes :chef: in a very organized manner. She offers menus for the week with a grocery list. The recipes are easy and good tasting. There is a way to check out the recipes for free and if you want to subscribe, you can get a 3month subscription. So, it works for me and it's just another way to go. I love my WW';s and will never give it up, but I had gotten into a "food slump" where nothing was appealing and I was hunting all the time. I tried Flylady's with limited success, but I think I'm on the right track.

Everybody have a great weekend and :cp: again for Mousie.
Judy

chrily
07-29-2006, 08:08 PM
Judy, I was a flybaby before and I haven't been on there forever. I checked out Leanne's recipes. My husband said I could subscribe if I wanted. I'm like you...getting sick of eating the same ol stuff. What menu do you use mostly? I looked at the regular, bodyclutter, and the SH ones. BUt what the heck is Southern Hemisphere cooking?????

Chris

Itryharder
07-30-2006, 02:37 PM
Dear Chris,
I use the body clutter one, and have no idea what southern hemisphere cooking is--my guess is that it's good ole' southern cooking. Maybe you could look at the description and see what Leanne says.

All goes well here. Very hot, but okay. Having a relaxing day.
Judy

Princess1122
07-31-2006, 11:40 AM
Well I am finally plugged back into the internet at home so I am able to check the threads even if I am at home... like today :D

Mousie: You are so my hero! Way to go... you look wonderful in both pictures but I know that you must feel better both emotionally and physically in the picture on the right and that is what counts the most.

All: Did everyone have a nice weekend? I did, W/I was ok... down .2 and I will take it and try harder this week to do better... I think I just plain ate too much last week... and I did not get much walking in and that always sets me back. Home today with my elbow, the tendonitis is really acting up so I took the day to rest.

Have to run but will check back in later on!
susan

bandit2
07-31-2006, 01:49 PM
Happy Monday, everyone!

Welcome Paige - always nice to have another turtle join us. Tips & new ideas are always welcome here.

Chris - I find ww mtgs very helpful. Lots of support & good tips. Kind of a like a "shot in the arm" motivation. Always feel better when I leave there.

Judy - I've read the Flylady site before for the cleaning/organization, but not the recipes. Good luck with that & keep us posted for yummy things to try that are poing friendly.

Mousie - Good for you! So proud of you & your success. Truly an inspiration for us all.

Princess - Hi & hang in there.

As for me, did not have a good weigh in. Was up 1.4# and deserved it. Have not been eating properly.

Goal is to have a good OP week. Bye for now.

chrily
07-31-2006, 07:42 PM
Super fast post from me. I have to get some housework done. I'm stuck working all week and finding it hard already to get everything done at home that I need to.

Bandit-I'm really thinking hard on the WW meetings. Maybe I could get my husband to go with me. It sure would help to have the whole family on the same page and getting healthier doing it.

Chris

Princess1122
08-01-2006, 09:40 AM
Morning all...

Back at work today and feeling a bit better... ordered some cream that is supposed to help heal the tendonitis and it arrived yesterday so I am really hoping that this will help... anything to avoid the cort-shots... I have heard nightmares about how bad they hurt.

Chris: my husband and I go to meetings together, have from the beginning but in years past I have gone by myself and I have to say it makes a world of difference when both of you are on the same plan and work together on it... I can't stress that enough actually. My husband had lost more then I have but that is to be expected and as long as I am losing I am happy.

How is everyone else doing?

Have to run but will check back in later on.

Susan

Itryharder
08-01-2006, 09:48 AM
Princess,
You're right about going to meetings with dh if that can work out for you.
Hey, I don't know if my experience was unusual or not but I had a cortisone shot into the bursa in the area by my hip and it didn't hurt at all. Not only that, but it cut the inflammation down immediately and I was able to walk much better than I had been. I hope your tendonitis heals up well with the cream, but try not to be too worried about the shot if thats what is required.

Hey, I need someone to yell baby steps to me again. I'm letting a lot of my lessons that I thought had become routine go by the wayside. Not very turtle of me.
Take care and have a great day.
Judy :cool:

Princess1122
08-01-2006, 01:13 PM
Judy: Thanks for the info... I really appreciate it. I have heard that the cortisone shots are very painful... the RN at the doctors office told me that it took two full grown men to hold her down so that they could give her one for her tennis elbow... I guess it has to do with the elbow and how far they need to insert the needle not to mention the sting of the drug... but I am just saying prayers and keeping the faith that something else will work first :^: Oh please let something else work first!

Wonderfully hot day here... in the 90's with heat index's up in the 100's. But I will be walking after work today... I walked last evening and it was hot but it was do-able if you just took your time and did not try and go too fast. DH has long legs though so I have to step it up to keep up with him.

Have to run,
Susan

chrily
08-01-2006, 07:59 PM
I'm trying to get my husband to try WW...but I'm under the impression he thinks its a girlie thing. :) Men!

I've been doing good for the last couple days. FINALLY! I wrote down my max and min. points I could use for each meal and snack, so I don't overeat or undereat. It's really helped me yesterday and today. I even ate at Del Taco yesterday (not the best choice...:o ) and then just ate less for dinner and still walked away from the day with 2 pts to spare.

Chris

mpaigew
08-01-2006, 09:30 PM
I could never get dh to go to meetings, but I casually left the getting started book in the bathroom and took out all the other reading material (LOL!) so he didn't have any choice but to read it. Low and behold, he started following the plan with me, and lost 40lbs. That was last spring, and by the summer we had kind of fallen off the wagon. We both re-started the program last week; he lost 8lbs and I lost 7.

Princess1122
08-02-2006, 08:38 AM
Morning all!

Actually at our meeting here in Indy we have a lot of men that attend... I was really surprised by that because the last time I was a WW, about 6 years ago, and I attending meetings there was only a hand full of men that attended but it is much different now. My DH really does not mind going at all since he loses way more then all of the women that attend :D

Not much else new here... I have stalled in my weight loss, not sure why but I do know that even though I am eating with in my points I am eating more so that may be the issue and I will try and adjust.

Walked about 2 miles last night but is was so hot that I called it quits after the first two were done.

Have to run but will check back later on.
Susan

Itryharder
08-02-2006, 10:16 AM
Hi Turtles,
Paige, :cp: :cp: :cheer: What wonderful results for the first week of WW's.
Weigh to go! Hey, you're doing great.

Chris, I think chiming in at the Turtle Group helped you to kick start your WW program. Sounds like being careful with the points is having a payoff. Yay!

Princess, I think two miles in the heat is worth a lot of activity. :tread: and I know what you mean about staying within points but eating more. I have a tiny suggestion if you'd like one. Try changing some of the things you're eating. If you're eating a lot of chicken, point out some beef and pork and try that. If you're eating fruit, switch over to different types. Sometimes it's something that is just this easy that jump starts the weight loss again.
You're doing great. :cheer:

Everybody. Today is a new day. Let's make the best of it.
Judy
Itry
234.6/thinner into onederland

Princess1122
08-02-2006, 12:15 PM
Judy: Great suggestions! I will start that today! Thank you very much...

Have a great day all!

Susan

chrily
08-02-2006, 08:11 PM
Oooo Paige! I love your sneaky side. ;) Maybe I will just leave a few WW things in the bathroom for hubby to read too and discard all the reader's digests.

I've been working all week and my arms and hands feel like they are going to fall off. We weigh candy into little bags and thats what i've been doing for 3 days straight now. It's not heavy lifting but a ton of repetitive motions....now I ache.

Well all the kids are spending the night at their various relatives houses. So some free time for this mom. Check back later. My computer is doing funky things. I've recording it on a video tape so the moron GEEK patrol at Best Buy can actually see what I'm talking about. They don't see the problem....ever! So I'll have my proof all recorded for them and then they can pull their heads out of their butts and fix it right. I need this for when I go back to school...it has to be running right before the beginning of Sept.

chris

Ariana2000
08-02-2006, 10:29 PM
Hello Ladies! I'm currently living up to my unofficial title of Insanely Busy Turtle. :( I haven't had time to visit you guys since sometime last week, and I'm sorry. I don't really have time to talk now, but you guys are such an inspiration to me that I had to share this with you. I've been "maintaining" (up .2, down .4, up .5, etc.) for a whole month -- I was getting very frustrated -- but I made better choices when I ate out this week and I worked out 5x -- and I'm down 1.2 pounds!!!! :D :D :D :D So, naturally, I had to tell my favorite cheerleaders and support group. :D

Alright ladies, time to go again - many hugs -- knock 'em dead!

Princess1122
08-03-2006, 09:46 AM
Good job Ariana! That is just too great!

I have not been doing much on the scale either lately... not sure if I have hit a plateau or what but I have just come to a halt... I need to make better choices also. We are going out to lunch today to say goodbye to a guy that is moving on to another job but he has been here for a long time so we let him pick the resturant and he picked one called Bravo... it is a pasta place, mostly high fat and calorie filled Italian food, I checked the website and found that basically it is a house salad for me... nothing else on the menu is worth the payback of getting on the scale Saturday morning for W/I and finding that I have gained a ton of weight...

Susan

chrily
08-03-2006, 07:51 PM
YAh, great job Ariana! I've made some better food choices this week after screwing around for a couple weeks and I peeked at the scale just for fun this morning and am down 1/2 lb. My official weigh in day is Monday so we'll see what a difference a few more days make.

Hi Princess!!!

chris

Princess1122
08-04-2006, 11:29 AM
Hi Evenyone! and happy Friday! As always I am very happy that Friday is here :carrot: since I love and live for the weekends :D

Nothing big planned this weekend but I am looking forward to the time off from work and a bit of de-stressing one a personal level.

Susan

chrily
08-04-2006, 11:52 AM
Susan! A fellow TGIFer. I love the weekend too. I'm not sure if I get to destress much but I don't have to worry about being to work on time or all the other hassles of the week.

How's the rest of you turtles??? I wanted to be the Lazy turtle who got to sleep in this morning but the dog and the kids had other plans for me. I've been awake since 5:30 am, which doesn't feel sooo good because frankly I didn't sleep all that well again. Gonna have to get me some of that sleepy medicine and knock myself out for a night and get caught up. :D

Chris

Ariana2000
08-04-2006, 04:53 PM
Thank you ladies! I was quite delighted. I think I am kicking back into gear now, after a month of maintaining. :D I've been making better choices when I go out with friends (my biggest problem), and not going crazy on my SHD (Super High Day on the Wendie plan -- I think I was going over my 39 or so points that I get that day -- Saturday). I'm also doing a variation on my weight workout, where I go from machine to machine, doing a circuit of 8 machines, 1 set of 10-12 per circuit, 3 circuits total. That way, I don't spend time sitting on the machine and waiting in between reps -- and so I get a better carido workout from it too. My mom's getting more into exercise, with a trainer, and she was telling me how proud she was to go from being able to do 3 minutes on a recumbent bike to 11. I remembered how hard it used to be for me to do just 30 minutes of cardio, and I realized that I need to switch up the type of exercise I do -- my body's too used to the elliptical, and I'm not getting as much of a benefit. I switched to a new type of elliptical machine (the one with the arms AND The legs, not just the legs, and I do a different circuit.)

Everything seems to be working out. :D Work stinks of course, and it's been crazy, but today is better -- I feel like I can breathe again. With all the stress at work, the craving for junk food has been especially strong, but I just keep turning it down, and, if I want something sweet at night, I have blue bunny ice cream bars in the fridge (2 points) and I keep promising myself a day of sewing on Sunday -- my ultimate stress relief, besides working out or a massage! :D

Mousie -- while madly scanning the posts, I saw your before and after pictures -- CONGRATULATIONS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

The weight loss is very noticeable, and that much weight in a year is excellent progress. Slow is frustration and obnoxious, but remember -- slow stays off much better than fast. MUCH better.
Princess -- Thank you again! ;D I'm psyched. RE eating out challenges -- eating out is hard. I know how you feel. Checking the website to decide on a dish ahead of time is a great idea, that's helped me a lot. With a restaurant like that, pasta and marinara may not be a bad option, depending on what else is in there. I've found that, regardless of the restaurant, ordering a basic salad to start with, dressing on the side, helps me feel less hungry when I actually get my meal. I also dip the tines of my fork (just the first half, not the whole thing) into my dressing, so that I get less dressing. It's odd how a small amount of dressing gives you the same taste benefit as a larger amount, but with fewer calories.

Chrily -- Thank you! I'm quite excited. :D Out of curiosity, why do you think you have been "screwing around for a couple weeks", as you put it? You mean not tracking points? Not working out? What? And do you understand why you do it? Sometimes, the key to changing behaviors that get in the way of our goals is to understand the underlying cause. For example, I realized that I ate junk food because I was stressed, and it made me feel better, temporarily. Knowing that, if I want junk food AND I'm stressed, I remind myself that it's probably BECAUSE I'm stressed, not because I really want the food. Then I focus on working out or quilting to reduce the stress. Now, if I'm not really stressed out, and I want a specific food, I will wait until a specific time and treat myself to it (I usually treat myself on Saturday.) The funny thing is that, the more you do that, the less you want the junk food anyway. That is my personal experience.

Now that I've written entirely too much :o :P it's time for me to go. Take care ladies, and have a great weekend. If work is not too insane next week, you'll hear from me again soon.

chrily
08-04-2006, 06:49 PM
Ariana, I finally got to tracking my points really well this week and watching my portions but I am HORRIBLE at getting enough exercise in. I've gotten a bit more in than I had before but still need to jump it up some more.

Chris

Itryharder
08-05-2006, 10:48 AM
Hi Turtles,
Ariana, :cheer: weigh to go! Always good to have insanely busy turtle chime in, and you had such good news.

Princess, boy, you are the best. To look over a menu and decide that a house salad is your best bet all around is really mature and responsible. Two words that will get us far. :cp: :cp:

Chris, you weigh candy for a living? Ohmigoodnes!!!!! I know I"d be 400# if I had to do that. Here's a :grouphug: for all your activiites. You're a busy lady.

I think I'm getting my head on straight. You know everyone thinks that the fall into Dec. holidays are the toughest, but lots of people I know have a hard time in the summer losing weight. I'm having trouble getting back into Core and yet counting points is not for me either. Right now I am into poor which is a combo of points and core and doesn't really work. Today will be a better day. At least I've been able to swim and I'm enjoying that.
Will start a new thread now.
Love,
Judy

chrily
08-05-2006, 12:03 PM
Judy, I have a friend who is curious about CORE, but I really don't know what to tell her. Since you've done it, what is it like?

I've been super busy and super stressed and not feeling totally me lately. I hope it passes. I did manage to lose 1 lb this week. I've been very vigilant about my food journal and what I put in my mouth and its paying off. THAT makes me happy. :)

chris

Itryharder
08-06-2006, 09:21 AM
Chris,
Hi! I've started a new thread, #164. I'll answer your question about Core there. Let me say, :cheer: for losing a pound this week and counting your points carefully.
Judy