Closed Thread

Old 09-03-2005, 07:01 AM   #1  

Default South Beach vs Core

Hi everyone! I was on WW for about three years and just quit six months ago. I started the South Beach Diet two weeks ago and have done the initial Phase but find myself missing WW. I loved their site and use to journalize and talk regularly on the boards. I never considered the core plan before looking at South Beach and am wondering whether to give that a try. Could anyone just give me a quick outline ( nothing too specific but have looked at the WW website and can't seem to get any clear ideas) I stopped WW because I just couldn't seem to get motivated to keep track of all the points and the core seems like I won't have to do that. I lost 25 pounds with the flex plan kept it off for two years and then got sick and have to take medication that seems to have lowered my metabolism and working out has been a bit of a challenge. Starting to walk again daily ( slowly but faithfully) and would really like to kickstart my weight loss. Any info would be greatly appreciated! ( Oh by the way love these boards as well, everyone is so friendly!) Oh one more thing, are the point values for the non core foods the same point values as with flex points? Or do I have to learn a whole new pointing system. I was thinking I would have a edge already knowing the point values for foods. Thanks everyone!

Last edited by cybersis; 09-03-2005 at 07:46 AM.
Old 09-03-2005, 10:54 AM   #2  
Chick

Height: 5'4"

Hi, good luck with everything. Lots of people know more than I do, but the idea of Core is that you don't have to journal or count points. It's a wonderful difference from Flex. You eat according to a list of foods that are Core (and there are a million of them). If you eat away from the Core list, you simply use your 35 points given to you for the week. We end up eating lots of fruit, veggies, lean protein, whole fiber grains, and FF dairy. It's excellent, more forgiving than South Beach. Give it a try. I think you'll like it.
Good luck!
Itryharder
Old 09-03-2005, 11:07 AM   #3  

Core is kind of the same.... but WW is a healthier choice!! Also, you can still use the WW message boards for free!! But, I agree, I enjoyed all of the things the WW site offers for the paying people! I am thinking about rejoining just to use the tools myself!

Also... the points are the same whether your on core (non core foods) or flex.
Old 09-03-2005, 11:41 AM   #4  
Southside White Sox Fan

Wow, Cybersis, I hardly know where to start! I did SBD (for about 6 weeks) and I've been doing Core faithfully since September 21, 2004. I've lost 44 pounds on Core and I believe it's a plan that I can stick to for the rest of my life. Which is a good thing because I still have 115 pounds left to lose.

The Core plan is based on whole, unprocessed foods mostly whole grains, fruits, veggies and lean protein and fish. The list is long and the foods are very filling with a low glycemic index. The 35 points we receive each week are counted/weighed/measured just like on Flex and you can use them to "buy" any foods that aren't on the Core list. You also earn activity points just like on Flex and can use them as well. The trick to Core is that you must learn to listen to your body and eat only until you are satisfied. This takes a little bit of effort but it's not impossible. I actually find it easier becaue I know if I undereat, I can go have some more food if necessary! I've done Flex in past WW lives and was moderately successful but I would eventually start making very poor choices. Like, I'd never eat my fruit and dairy because I didn't want to spend my points that way. I'd rather have a cheeseburger. Problem was then I was STARVING all the time and wondering when and what my next meal would be.

I think you should give Core a try. I always tell people to give it a month because it seems to me that peoples losses, including my own, are a trifle sporadic. I'll lose .6, gain .2 and then lose 3.6! I've also found that water consumption is much more important on Core than even on Flex. I drink at least 8 eight ounces glasses of pure water a day in addition to my other decaf beverages.

If you decide to try Core, come hang out with us. We are a great bunch of woman all trying to get to the same place. No sniping or meaness here....just wonderful support. And, we have some great Core recipes on our board!

Good Luck!
Old 09-03-2005, 11:52 AM   #5  

Vickie,

Now that was an excellent explination!!

~~~~~~~~

Cybersis,

You would really be better of on Core with WW! It is a lot healthier and it IS something you can stick with as a lifestyle. After all... if we want to lose weight and keep it off it must be a lifestyle and not just a diet plan.

I did South Beach (I joined SBD online to... waste of money!!) and I did great! I was on it for about 6 months... and I lost over 30 pounds! At that time I ended up starting to have to carry chocolate candies with me... my sugar levels go to low and I felt like I was going to faint! I forget what they called that. So I ate normal (kind of like WW) again. I gained it all back and then some!!! Went back on SBD and got REALLY sick!! I had so many problems! My doc said STAY AWAY from SBD or any low carb diet! I have been perfectly fine since!!!

I currently (just started) count calories. Which is basically the same as WW. For every point WW gives you to eat it is 50 calories. They gave me 24 points/1200 calories a day. That is not enough for me. My metabolism is very slow... almost dead lol.

Anyway, WW Core or Flex or both (you can flip between the 2) would be your healthiest choice!!
Old 09-03-2005, 12:06 PM   #6  
focused and aiming

cybersis, you've gotten some good advice here. i hope you decide to join us.

tracy, i want to congratulate you on quitting smoking. i know that took "dopower."
Old 09-03-2005, 12:11 PM   #7  

Sandra,

Thank you so much!! It has been a long hard battle! But I do have to say it is getting easier!
Old 09-04-2005, 08:56 AM   #8  

Thanks everyone for your great responses. I'm going to give it some heavy duty thinking over the weekend and make my decision on Tuesday. Always felt the day the kids went back to school was a good day to make decisions concerning my own life, then we both turn over a new leaf at the same time! I have been having some trouble with the SB, dizziness and headaches, and my teeth always feel as if I have a heavy coating on them! My only decision may only be whether to join on line or in store. Thanks again everyone!
Old 09-04-2005, 11:30 AM   #9  

Quote:
Originally Posted by cybersis
Thanks everyone for your great responses. I'm going to give it some heavy duty thinking over the weekend and make my decision on Tuesday. Always felt the day the kids went back to school was a good day to make decisions concerning my own life, then we both turn over a new leaf at the same time! I have been having some trouble with the SB, dizziness and headaches, and my teeth always feel as if I have a heavy coating on them! My only decision may only be whether to join on line or in store. Thanks again everyone!
SBD online is really a waste of money! WW's online tools and message boards are much better! And the message boards here - you get more help here - for free - then you would on the SBD website that you pay for. I joined there site not once but TWICE lol. Both times it was basically the same.

The way your feeling... are some of the ways I felt while doing SBD too! It is NOT good! Once I stopped SBD and ate normal after a couple of days I was back to feeling normal/better again! SBD causes to many health problems (more so for some people then others).

I have seen many people doing WW Flex and flip to Core for a couple of weeks and then go back to Flex. And they have had success. That might be a good way to go. It is definetely a healthier way to go.

You said your not sure whether to join online or in store. In store.. what do you mean?
Closed Thread