Exercise! - Cool Runners #17 -- August '05

View Full Version : Cool Runners #17 -- August '05

Ilene
08-01-2005, 05:04 PM
It's been quiet around here lately so I'll start a monthly thread for Cool Runners too...

I didn't run today I biked 25k and did a great leg workout :strong: ...

josie4
08-01-2005, 07:34 PM
Hi everyone!

Today I just found out that I have mono, so I won't be running till I'm better. For a while now, I knew something wasn't right with me cause I'm always so tired. I never thought of mono, though, because I don't have a bf, or many friends for the matter. I went to the doctor's last week for a physical and told him how tired I've been, so he had me tested for mono. It was such a shock when the doc's office called today and gave me the news.

I'm so upset that I can't exercise! I really like running and don't want to stop, but I know I need to get better. Ugh, I'm really bummed out. My mom said I could strength train 1 or 2 times this week, but no running. :(

So, how's everyone else doing??

Celeste0722
08-01-2005, 07:46 PM
I ran about 5 miles yesterday! It felt great!

Ilene-Wow, way to go on the 25K bike ride!

Oh no Josie! I hope you get to start feeling better!

Ilene
08-01-2005, 10:12 PM
Josie -- the recommendation not to run, was this given by your doc or mom? Were you overly tired when you ran last week?

Ilene
08-01-2005, 10:13 PM
MrsDawson, Congrats on your time for the 5k that's great!!

Only Me
08-02-2005, 08:12 AM
First, MrsDawsondn, CONGRATULATIONS on your 5k! That is a great time for a first 5k.

Josie, What did your dr. tell you about exercise? If he/she hasn't given you any instructions, call back and ask. A friend of mine had mono at university, and I remember that she was warned to avoid contact sports and dancing at clubs for at least 6 weeks due to the spleen being more sensitive/already swollen and potentially injured by a jab to it. Not sure about other restrictions she had. Work on getting better for now though; you'll have years to run soon enough.

Ilene, you must have really needed the long weekend with all the running around you've been doing lately. How's your dad doing?

Leanne, wow, I just realized that your youngest child isn't even a year yet! And good to hear your training program is going well. Have you picked a goal race?

Welcome Laura! 30 minutes is a fine goal for your "comeback" 5k.

I was our running speed intervals this morning. 8x800m for a total of 11.4k of running with warmup and cool down. And probably about 1.5k of walking/slow jogging between intervals, but my garmin doesn't put rest distance into the totals. I enjoy intervals in a weird, self torturing sort of way. I feel like I've accomplished something when I'm done and jogging home.

paperclippy
08-02-2005, 09:53 AM
Josie, I'm sorry to hear that you have mono! At least it sounds like you're avoiding the worst symptoms (so far anyway). I had mono last fall, and instead of just the exhaustion, I had a fever, awful headaches, and my throat swelled up horribly so that I could only force down about two spoonfuls of soup per day! Anyway, you can really get it anywhere, even though they call it "the kissing disease" . . . I personally am guessing I got it from someone coughing on me. :( Definitely take it easy on the exercise though, like Only Me said, your spleen is more susceptible to rupturing when you have mono.

I hope you feel better soon!

LeanneM83
08-02-2005, 10:54 AM
Only Me
Yes, I picked a race that is actually on my BIRTHDAY...hahaha, So I will be celebrating being 27 by running....It is in Ottawa on October 9th....I am determined to do it in under 60 minutes this time!!! Yes, my kids are 4, 2 and 10 months...so I get to run and then run after them!

Hope everyone is having a great day

Leanne

LaMariposita
08-02-2005, 12:53 PM
Josie,

Sorry to hear about the mono! I had it a few years ago, and really didn't feel like walking, let alone running. But, the worst part doesn't last long, and then walking a bit might be comfortable. Be careful, though, as your spleen and liver are going to be sensitive. I waited so long to go to the doctor that my liver was swollen to the point I almost was hospitalized. And this was with no exercise, just the heavy lifting I was doing every day at work!

Hope you feel better soon!

I just missed an entire week of running, work and other things got in the way. :( But, I'll get back on the road tomorrow morning! I just went shopping and found a great deal on TWO pairs of running shoes, so I've got to get out there and try 'em out!

Sweater Girl
08-02-2005, 01:11 PM
Hi all,

The biopsy was okay (hurt like heck, but the doctor told me he would be VERY surprised if it was cancerous so that's good!). I was sore for the rest of Friday but was fine by the next day just as long as I don't put pressure on the incision area. Now I get to worry about another unrelated appointment I have at the end of August. I did a solid 10K on Sunday and a 3K on Saturday... My weight is down too so yah!! I have adjusted my goal weight though to one I think I can easily manage for the rest of my life!

Josie: I am sorry to hear you have mono. I have never had it, but I took over my brothers paper route for a month when my brother had it when he was 18. I had a little procedure done in January and my doctor said "no exercise whatsoever (or heavy lifting) for three weeks" so I'd personally even avoid weight training for now and only start again with the go-ahead from your doctor. What your body needs is rest; if your body is busy repairing post-workout muscle it doesn't have all its focus on making you better. I know it sucks (I've been there), but in reality your body will be greatful (and it didn't take too long after sitting out to be back where I was before my procedure).

Only Me: I want a Garmin, would help for pacing and stuff... Maybe I should ask for one for my birthday, how do you like yours?

Ilene: Yah on the 25K. I really should hop onto my bike, I want to tri a tri next year.

Leanne: I am now debating running run for the cure on my birthday... not sure, but after my scare I think it would be a good thing!

LaMariposita: I always like trying out my new gear! Have fun!

Cheers!

Ali:)

YP1
08-02-2005, 03:00 PM
Today I did 5k on the treadmill, I hit 30 minutes for the first (and only) time since my 5k race, so I was really pleased with that. I'm trying to mix up longer slower runs and decreasing my 5k time to give me a bit of variety.

taekwondomom
08-02-2005, 04:33 PM
Hello all. :)May I join in?

Yesterday I ran 1 mile without stopping. :) Then I walked for 2 minutes and ran .1 more. I considered running a little farther but as this is only my 3rd week of running on a regular basis I decided not to push too hard. In total I ran 1.1 mile and walked .9 miles for a total of 2 miles.
My next scheduled run is Wednesday.

MrsDawsondn
08-03-2005, 04:16 PM
I got up Tuesday morning and did about 2.5-2.8 mile run around the neighborhood for about 36 minutes then this morning I walked the same route in 43 minutes. tomorrow my best friend wants me to stop by her house and walk with her so I'll be doing that and hopefully getting my runs in.

Sweatergirl I'm praying for all to be well sounds like you got a great report

leannem83 you are the bomb I don't think i could be running and taking care of 3 kidss under 5 you are the WOMAN! Good luck on the race!

Ilene- 25K wow that's alot of riding congrats on the ride and hopefully dad is doing okay?

Taekwondomom congrats on the running and yes I agree take it slow you don't wanna burn out too fast so take your time and you'll be doing 3 and 4 miles in no time.

LaMariposita no worries just get out there when you can and you'll love it when your back on the pavement.

josie4 So sorry to read about the mono get well and my prayers are with you and yes I agree you should take it easy for a minute until Doc. Gives you clearance to do anything different.

onlyme When i grow up I wanna be a runner just like you. Wow 800m intervals you go girl!

YP1 I just wanted to tell you I loved your blog!!! It's like reading a book you speak words that I sometimes think about but never voice. Thanks for being a voice for all of us mute sisters out here LOL. You should really look into getting it published.

Anyhoo I'm off but I'll chat with you ladies tomorrow.

Ellenwu how are ya girlie? Haven't heard from you yet I hope all is well.

Celeste0722
08-03-2005, 04:20 PM
Hello ladies!! Hope everyone is having a good day!!

Today I included a hill in my run, I ran 50 min! My legs felt like they were going to fall off!

Question for you guys...Do you take some sort of hydration with you? If so, how do you bring it?

ellenuw
08-04-2005, 09:07 AM
Hey MrsD and YP1 - great times on the 5K!! I am so proud of you both - I know I am a little late here, but hopefully you are still riding the joy of that!! I know after my 5K I was "up" for weeks.

Sorry I have been MIA. I have been sticking with my marathon training as well as weight training. All in all, my workouts keep me sane and focused. I am not a big fan of summer (especially here in DC) and the detailed schedule is certainly helping me get by.

I am about 3/4 of the way through the NASM "pre-course" to become a certified Personal Trainer. I have decided to get my ACSM certification by the end of the year (books should be here this week). That has been taking a lot of my time, so posting her is way down, but I sure am "lurking". I post (and whine - a lot) over at LWL, so stop on by .....

Leannee - you are an inspiration. Your birthday will be VERY special!!

Sweater Girl - I plan on getting a Garmin after Labor Day. I think I have convinced myself the 201 is right for me. If the 301 did intervals than I would sell my current Heart Rate Monitor, but no-go. Why can't they develop a menu system where you pick and choose which options you want on your tool and they make to order, kind of like buying a computer on line?

Welcome Newbies!! Josie - mono is a bear - hope you feel better soon. Be careful, mono got me hooked on "Another World" back in the '70s. Anne - how are you surviving? Only 2 months to go!!

Have a great day ....

Anine
08-04-2005, 10:05 AM
Hello all!

I haven't posted much in this thread lately - first I wasn't allowed to finish the marathon I trained for all spring (max time 6 hours, I came to the 20k line 1 minute too late to be allowed to finish), then I got stuck on a weight loss plateau, and I just lost all interest in even trying to run and exercise in general.

Then I read an inspiring book a few weeks ago, and now I'm exercising in the morning 6 days a week, which I haven't done in a long time. Now the weight is moving down and I have signed up for another marathon in October (San Francisco Women's Marathon), so hopefully I will make it this time!

On Sunday I did my first long run for my marathon (12k on a threadmill - boring!) and on Tuesday and today I ran 5k in the morning. On Sunday I will do another long run, 15k this time (hopefully outside!) and maybe I'll squeese in another run some time tomorrow. It's good to be back in business!

YP1
08-04-2005, 01:59 PM
I had a really good run on the treadmill this morning - 6k in just under 36 minutes. Instead of running at a steady pace like I usually do and getting bored I tried running 5 minutes normal pace, 1 minute fast x 6 and it felt so good - the normal pace seemed so much easier after a couple of fast minutes! I'm definitely going to try this again, and possibly increase the fast spells to 2 minutes once I get used to it as it felt fantastic, and the time went a lot quicker.

Ilene
08-04-2005, 02:50 PM
Anine -- Sorry to hear that you worked so hard and weren't able to finish that marathon. BUT good for you for taking the bull by the horns and getting back at the running full speed... What is the name of that book that motivated you so get going again?...

I did a 10k on Saturday and I haven't run since... Dang this hot weather and the boring dreadmill where I get so bored after doing only 5k and get off... But I'm not complaining I love this hot weather...

MrsDawsondn
08-04-2005, 03:10 PM
Hello guys I have officially registered for the 5K so I am definitely gonna do it. this morning I ran for 51 minutes I have no idea how far I went but I know I ran farther than I ever have. I think tomorrow morning I am going to walk instead of run to get ready for all of this.

Anine so glad to hear that your back into the swing of things too bad about that awful experience with the marathon but you'll be back out there in no time.

YP1 running intervals sounds like it's really working for you and that's great.

ilene just let us know when you get back out there and yes I know what you mean about this terribly hot weather whew!

YP1
08-04-2005, 03:22 PM
Mrs Dawson, well done on signing up for the 5k! You'll love it, I'm sure. I got such a buzz out of running with a load of other people, compared to running on my own, and it inspired me to a time I've not got near since!

Anine
08-04-2005, 03:41 PM
What is the name of that book that motivated you so get going again?...

It was 2 books actually, Bob Greene's Total Body Makeover and Pamela Peeke's Body for Life for Women. Reading those made me want to make a commitment to exercise again. They "promise" 2lb weightloss every week, and promote hard exercise and healty eating habits. The first is a 6 week plan and the other is a 12 week plan. I don't know what, but something "clicked" and I decided that I had to try again. I can always dedicate 6 or 12 weeks to this, at least after having completed a full marathon training program. I started to exercise a little, and then I signed up for the Marathon. This time I WILL make it, and hopefully look better too with fewer kilos of fat and more muscles!

It's good to be back here...

Only Me
08-04-2005, 09:14 PM
This morning I did 14k at what should be a not overly challenging 1/2 marathon pace for me (based on my 10k time). It wasn't a problem to stay on pace, felt easy for the first 7ish km, then comfortably hard. I felt like I could have kept going longer. So, if I can keep it together on race day (just over 3 weeks away, gulp), and the weather cooperates, I might actually run as well in a 1/2 as in my training runs for it.

Dh and I are thinking of running a 5k race together this weekend. It might be fun to see if I can keep up with him. (My non-running husband can do a sub25 minute 5k). Either I'll burn out after the first couple of km, or competing with him will help me run faster.

Sweater Girl, good to hear that everything went smoothly with the biopsy. Hopefully the results are clear too. I like the 201 even though it sometimes has gps problems in certain areas. I've thought about upgrading to the 301 next Christmas, but I think that when I start doing heart rate training, I might not want to know just how slowly I'm going. My wrist feels bizarrely naked the few times I've forgotten to charge it or my kids have turned it on and let the batteries run down. I like watching my total km run go up in the log book too.

Ellen, I think the 301 does do intervals. A disadvantage of the 201 is that "rest" time/distance isn't included in the run total when you upload it. Supposedly this issue has been fixed with the 301 and some of its custom programming. You sound busy with marathon training and the personal trainer cert.

Anine, Good for you for getting back into exercise again. The time limit on our local marathon is one of a huge number of reasons why I've decided to wait a couple of years to try it.

Laura, Welcome! Very smart not to push yourself too hard when starting out

Celeste, I carry water with me on my long runs on Sundays (generally 16k and up). When it's hot and humid, I'll carry water with me on any run over about 30 minutes. Go by how you feel. This morning I ran 14k without water with no problems, but a couple of weeks ago when it was 70 and humid even at 6am, I'd bring water with me for the same distance. Some people prefer to carry water all the time.

taekwondomom
08-05-2005, 01:55 AM
Wednesday was a running day for me. Too hot too run in the afternoon like I usually do so I ran about 8:30 at nite, got home right before it got too dark to see! I really liked running that late though, it was cool with a bit of a breeze and the sky was so beautiful. I bought a cheap $1 FM radio with headphones (and a little flashlight) so I could listen to a little music on my run. It was a nice addition even though the only radio station that would come in was an oldies station. :p
I ran 1.3 miles in 15 minutes :) I was very pleased with myself. Saturday is my next day to run, looking to run 1.5 miles with no walk breaks, and I'm looking forward to it.
I do have one question: Is it OK to run 4 days a week? I've been running 3 days a week and would like to add another day as I am enjoying it. :)

skinnyjeans
08-05-2005, 12:55 PM
Hi everyone! I have been missing for a while here. Off running. Ha ha. Sounds like everyone is doing good and has reces coming up. I know I am running a 10mi in just 3 short weeks. I need to start getting in some longer miles on the weekends in order to make it!

Sweater Girl- Glad everything with the biopsy went well and the outliik is positive.

Laura-I think it would be fine if you ran four days a week if that is what you want to do. Try looking at your weekly total milage and increasing it by around 10%. That should prevent you from running too much even though you are running an additional day. Also, maybe start by your extra run being something easy, such as only .5 mi, or something fun such as intervals or fartleks. Until you are comfortable that four days a week is good for you?

Ilene
08-05-2005, 01:19 PM
Just a quickie post.... 2 miles of hills on the :tread: this morning and a back and bicep workout...

LeanneM83
08-07-2005, 10:11 AM
Hey everyone

well, I have to do 8 miles today, OMG this will be my longest run EVER....so I am somewhat nervous, but I KNOW I can do it...........fingers crossed, we'll see how it goes....

Leanne :lol:

Ilene
08-07-2005, 11:18 AM
Good luck on your 8mile run Leanne hope it's not too hot in your neck of the woods...

Today I ran to and from the gym, only a total of 5k, but I had done a long 10k run yesterday and I don't usually run 2 days in a row... It was nice and coolish when I left here but when I left the gym an hour later it was getting hotter... It's gonna be a scorcher out today here...

TTFN :wave:

Only Me
08-08-2005, 08:57 AM
Hi Everyone! Day off for me today. Good think too because it already felt hot when I left the house at 7am to drive some visitors to the train station. The weekend went well. 5k race Saturday, which I finished in 24:18 (And I didn't think I could do 5 minute kms for 5k!) Then a very slow 16k early Sunday morning. I didn't realize how tired my legs were from the race until I was already dressed and out the door, so I decided to keep going, take it slow, and make it a bit shorter than planned.

paperclippy
08-08-2005, 09:29 AM
Congrats on the race Only Me! That's a great time!

I didn't get much running in last week (my legs were sore!), just my interval workout on Wednesday. I wanted to get a good start this week, but my heel felt like it had a splinter in it! I looked and looked but couldn't find anything. I think maybe it was just dry and cracking. Anyway, I managed to jog about 2 miles anyway -- once I had been out for a while it stopped hurting). I'm still a little bit sore from Thursday's circuit training class (90 squats, ouch!), but hopefully by Wednesday I will be in shape for my intervals!

MrsDawsondn
08-08-2005, 12:00 PM
Hey guys,

I ran the 5k this past saturday non stop woohoo!!! I got passed up by many people and came in almost last but I did it! I ran the 5k In 41:20. I am just siked that I did it and thanking God every step of the way. Last year around this time I was 305lbs and I couldn't even run for 30 seconds so as you all can see this is a great accomplishment to me. I know that as I lose weight and continue to train I will gain speed and endurance but as for now I'm happy with where I am physically. I told another woman that was out there running with me that was beating herself up that I can only do what I can do I can't measure myself and my success with other people that were out there running, Everybody's got a story of their own and I can only do what I can do and that's it. If I'm the last runner to cross that finish line it doesn't bother me one bit. Shoot how many overweight Black women do you see out running? I can't count too many on one hand so i know that God is helping me to get to where I'm going. In the bible it states that the race is not given to the swift nor the battle to the strong but to him that endureth until the end. And that's what I'm doing, I'm enduring to the end.

They even had a Kids lil bug run and my babies participated in the run. My son ran 1/4 mile and came in second place, and my daughter ran 1/2 of a mile, something in which she states she will probably never do again but we still had fun and that's what mattered. Thanks you guys for all of your support you really don't know how much it means to me to get you all's replies and posts of encouragement.

Ilene
08-08-2005, 12:21 PM
MrsD... What a great accomplishment!! I just checked out the pics at your site and you look beautiful...

OnlyMe... Great time on the run !!

Today was biking and leg workout!! It's all good...

LaMariposita
08-08-2005, 01:13 PM
MrsDawsondn--Congrats on the 5K! That is a really great accomplishment, and you have such a great attitude. Keep up the running, it only gets easier as the pounds come off!

YP1
08-08-2005, 01:40 PM
Well done on the 5ks everyone!

I did 10.5k on the treadmill this morning in 70 minutes which I'm really pleased with, for one reason and another I've not done a run over about 7 or 8k for a while so it was nice to get my legs going properly again.

ellenuw
08-09-2005, 09:28 AM
[QUOTE=MrsDawsondn]

... I told another woman that was out there running with me that was beating herself up that I can only do what I can do I can't measure myself and my success with other people that were out there running, Everybody's got a story of their own and I can only do what I can do and that's it. If I'm the last runner to cross that finish line it doesn't bother me one bit. Shoot how many overweight Black women do you see out running? I can't count too many on one hand so i know that God is helping me to get to where I'm going. In the bible it states that the race is not given to the swift nor the battle to the strong but to him that endureth until the end. And that's what I'm doing, I'm enduring to the end.

/QUOTE]
MrsD - big *snaps* to you :cp: :cb: :bravo: I love what you said to the other woman. My goodness, you have done an amazing feat and I am so happy for you. One of the things I really like about running that your times are against your own "Personal Record" (PR) or "Personal Best" (PB) - so it is just about you and the clock, not anyone else. A year ago you could not have crossed that line except in your car, and today, you ran it in under 45 minutes. You are so cool!! You are right that this is about endurance - not just the race, but the "Big - Picture - Race", too - endurance and learning to find the love and joy along the way. You are a shining start to yourself and a fabulous example and role model to your family.

I now find myself thinking things like "oh, one mile until the next exit - I can run that." Have you started doing that yet??

One of the things that keeps me going - remember what they call the person who graduates last in his or her medical class - "Doctor"

Ilene
08-09-2005, 09:40 AM
I now find myself thinking things like "oh, one mile until the next exit - I can run that." Have you started doing that yet??

OMG I do that!! When I'm driving and I get to a sign that says 21k I think that's a half marathon...and measure the distance in the car and think someone could run that in ''X' amount of hours, etc....

I ran today from 8am to 9am... dang it gets hot early... DH had gone for a bike ride just before I left and he said it was nice and ''cool'' out, I didn't say anything when I came home but his idea of ''cool'' and mine are very very different!! But all in all I had a good run I was out there for an hour so it's all good... We are going to the Museum of Civilisation in Hull today... Nice and cool in there...

TTFN gotta get ready to go...

sugarbianca
08-09-2005, 11:26 AM
Hey guys ,
I just finished day wk 5 day 3 of the cp25k program, 20 minutes non-stop, i was realy nervous about it up to the time i was doing my warm-up walk, i never thought i would make it, buti did and it was not that bad. I helped that I was on a scenic path by the river, lots of company and a punch of women pushing strollers whom i didn't want to think i was a wimp.

YP1
08-09-2005, 02:07 PM
I did a fast (for me) 5k on the treadmill this morning.

And then signed up for another 10k in November to make sure I keep my motivation going over autumn which is when I stopped exercising last year. Part of me wanted to try out the first one in September before making a final decision on whether to do both, but I know I might end up making excuses so I decided to get that entry in while I'm still excited by the idea!

MrsDawsondn
08-09-2005, 04:17 PM
Thank you all so much for your encouraging words I really appreciate that!

Ellen you are so right I do that as well, On our last vacation and we'd be riding a mile out and it just seems so far away and I think like dang I can run that. I dunno but maybe because I run around the neighborhood and do alot of turning corners and up and down hills it just doesn't seem as far as one long mile stretch whew wee it looks far LOL. I was thinking that in the race because some roads were just a straight shot and I'd be thinking "Man I have to run THAT far " LOL. But it was cool.

Ilene what part of the country do you live in? Here in Cincinnati it has cooled down favorably (thank God) but I know the heat will be back LOL

sugarbianca way to go!!!!! So happy to hear you did the whole twenty minutes. Ya know sometimes I find myself trying to run faster or look fairly strong when running by or close to other people LOL what's up with that HAHA. Even on the residential streets that I run on I run @ 5:45-6:00am and there isn't any traffic but when a car does come by I run faster and try to push to feel as if I'm in competition or something LOL it's actually kind of silly but hey, it helps me with my timing LOL.

Yp1 I wish you the best of blessings in the upcoming 10 k in november! I pray you stay motivated this fall to do it, you can do it girlie I know ya can ;)

As for me I got up this morning and did a 49:02 minute run and decided to track it in my car because it felt pretty far although I've ran this route before and it was actually 3.4 miles I think that's the farthest I've ever run :O . My legs are a bit sore from the run as well as squats yesterday but I keep telling myself no pain no gain. Also I've heard runners talk about after running long distances their knees hurting well I experienced that today is that normal? If not can anyone give any tips on how to prevent it?

Also I noticed during the race and this morning a new tension. The middle of my back begins to get really tight while running beyond 3 miles, Anybody know any reason of why that would happen. I personally thought maybe I felt tension because my back muscles were in action but I've never felt my back muscles(lats, and traps, and stuff) have tension unless I was lifting weights. If anyone has any answers or thesis on what this could be please reply. I'll also post a thread about this.

Ilene
08-09-2005, 11:33 PM
Mrs. D -- Hi there :wave:... I am in Eastern Ontario Canada and usually in August it starts getting cooler but this summer has been exceptionally hot and it hasn't cooled down yet... Other than when I run I love the sun and heat, I'm not looking forward to winter and snow :p ... I have been taking extra calcium and magnesium since I've been running... I also take Glucosamine, which DH and I swear by, I've recommended to 4 other people and they always come back telling me that it works... If I go a day or so without taking Glucosamine I get sore knees. I only take the regular Glucosamine and not the one with Chondroitin (sp?), someone told me that if Glucosamine works for me alone that it's cheaper than with Chondroitin...

About the back tension... Was this a ''race''? If it was maybe you were tense and it hit you in the back OR if it was a regular run day you just weren't relaxed. I've read to make sure your shoulders are relaxed when you run head up but also relaxed. Sometimes not all the time, I also get lower back tension when I get home, I stretch my back by puting my hands on my knees and rounding and arching my back... The Cat stretch which is a Yoga move, works really well too... get on your hand and knees and stretch your back like a cat would do, when your back is rounded tuck your chin to your chest and breath out, when it's arched breath out and look up. Hold each position for 5-10 seconds... I'm no pro but this helps me a lot...Hope this helps, take care now...

Well I'm off

sarahyu
08-10-2005, 08:50 AM
I have a training question for you guys. I've not posted to your thread before, but I have been reading your posts. And thinking I should post, but...

Well, a little about me. I started a beginning running program with my local running club back in April. We trained for a 5k, I finished in 44 minutes...(see that's the main reason I've not posted to this thread, I'm so slow :lol: )

The running club had a 2nd beginning running summer program so I continued with it- 2 x a week as a group, and on our own 2x roughly 40 minutes, including warm up, cool down and stretching. I've been doing some stuff on my own like weight training 2x , biking 1x, walking 1.5-3 miles-usually because I've missed my bus and it's faster to walk then to wait for the next one. But recently my knees have started to bother me. I'm not sure if I'm over doing it. And last weekend I was so tired that everytime I sat down I fell asleep.

How do you recover from over training? And how do you know when it's ok to add a little more to your training? Some people can run for hours at a time and still go to the gym and do weights. Not that I'm comparing myself to them but still on the days I'm not running I would like to do something else.

I would like to see the scales go down again, the real reason I started running.

Sorry for being so windy...
Sarah

MrsDawsondn
08-10-2005, 09:23 AM
Ilene thanks so much for the tips I found out why my knees where hurting while I was running I'd forgotten to put my insoles in my runnners :lol HAHA! See I get dressed in the dark so as not to wake hubby and because it's so early it's dark outside too so I just put my running gear next to the bed then roll out of bed in the morning when the alarm goes off and put on my running gear then head out the door and during the race I got drenched and so did my runners so I took my insoles out to dry and never put them back in HAHA! Who'da thunk it? LOL. What's so funny is when I was running I kept telling myself like yeah okay it's REALLY time to get some new runners I felt like I was running on all those residential streets and main streets barefoot LOL. I also stumbled upon some information from the race they gave out some pamphlets about different injuries that runners sometimes get like Pf, ITB, achilles tendon, and runners knee. It was very helpful I think I may have been overtraining as well so I'm gonna slow down on all of that. Oh yes and the back tension was during the race and during the jogging around the neighborhood it only comes after I hit the 3 mile marker though. Maybe I need to relax my posture, in my mind I always tell myself that because I noticed that when I run relaxed and let my hips guide me in running, instead of trying to pump my arms really hard or lean forward to go faster, I feel great. When I let my hips relax and do some work I feel great it hard to explain that LOL.

Sarahyu please don't be afraid to post in this thread these women are soooo helpful so I know you'll get great advice, and running a 44 minute 5k is awesome!!! Shoot atleast you are doing it. Time doesn't matter you'll get faster the more you practice shoot it took me a year to run a 5k and my time was 41:20 and I am darn proud of that cause like I said last year I couldn't run 30 seconds without feeling like falling out. keep up the good work and hopefully someone can help you with the overtraining questions.

Well as for me I walked today 46:57 and I'll be working out on lunch doing the starimaster and 3 sets of 10 squats on the machine int he fitness room.

Ilene
08-10-2005, 09:29 AM
How do you recover from over training? Rest, sleep and good nutrition. Are you maybe not eating enough calories? The right ratio of carbs/protein/fats, I find that if I don't eat enough protein I am extremely tired... I also need a good 6-8 hours of sleep/night or a snooze when I can in the afternoon...And how do you know when it's ok to add a little more to your training? When you aren't so tired anymore add a bit more exercise, granted you may be tired for a week or so from the extras, but it will go away... Some people can run for hours at a time and still go to the gym and do weights. Not that I'm comparing myself to them but still on the days I'm not running I would like to do something else.You're right don't compare yourself with someone else. That other person may have been training and exercising for 10 + years and are in much better condition than you and I, geez I sure can't run for hours!! How do you really know, unless you know them personally, that they aren't tired? Sometimes what it seems on the outside isn't really what it is ... Be patient with time it will get easier and better... Oh, BTW, you are not slow at least you are out there exercising, :high:

Hope this helps, OH! :o and how rude of me WELCOME to Cool Runners :wave:

Edited: Hi MrsD! :wave:

paperclippy
08-10-2005, 10:12 AM
Good morning everyone! I think I am a little behind catching up on this thread, so let me just say GREAT JOB to the people who have run races recently! This morning I did my intervals, but harder than usual . . . I did 400m fast, 200m slow (though I did have to take a few water breaks) for 2 miles. Phew, what a workout! A lot of gunk came up from my lungs, so I know it must be working. :p

Sarah -- Welcome to the thread! Don't worry about being slow, I have been running since January and I can still barely run 5k under 40 minutes. I ran about 10k once and it took me two hours! :lol:

Mrs D -- LOL about the insoles! As for your back hurting, assuming it wasn't related to the missing insoles, were you running a lot of hills? I find that hills takes a little more work from my back muscles to push my legs down. I know you usually run some hills, so maybe even though your muscles are used to your usual routine, running so far took some extra effort from them?

Sweater Girl
08-11-2005, 09:24 AM
I did 6 hill repeats in the soupy post-rain weather that was around last night... I never sweated so much in my life... Next week is suppose to be much cooler. The week, my long run is 14K so that should be fun. We're making plans to head down to Niagara for the Casino Half-marathon, that should be a great run.

I am working on supplimentation for my long runs... right now, I am cutting up fig newtons (president's choice kind with 60% whole wheat) and eating them on my walk breaks, but it was suggested I start using gels... I haven't used them before and I have heard they're kind of gross. Do any of you use gels?

Cheers!

Ali

YP1
08-11-2005, 02:11 PM
I did a cracking 10k on the treadmill this morning in just over 60 minutes which is by far the fastest I've ever done that distance. I'm definitely starting to get really into this running thing now.

MrsDawsondn
08-12-2005, 08:18 AM
Went out did morning run about 2.8-3.0 (haven't tracked it yet) in 34:31 woohoo!!! Last time I ran that route it took 36 minutes and my times would've been faster had i not kept slowing down to adjust my headphones because they kept sliding out of my ears LOL, plus myt dad stopped me on his way to work to ask me how my son was doing in football.....at 5:50AM?!?!?! I could've killed him LOL.

Only Me
08-12-2005, 08:25 AM
Sarah, welcome! You definitely need to listen to your own body in terms of how much exercise you can handle. Ilene's advice is excellent.

Ali, deciding on a goal race must make you that much more motivated to follow your training. I hate hills and kind of skimped on that portion of training. I've never used gels. I've tried gatorade and powerade on long runs. Both upset my stomach. I do ok with gatorade diluted to 1/2 strength or less on long runs, but I mainly stick with water. And I seem to be able to handle getting 1 or 2 cups of gatorade at water stations over the course of a 1/2. If fig newtons are working for you, why not stick with them? They're much cheaper than gels and probably tastier too.

I'm tired this week. A combo of too many houseguests over the last few weeks (most left by Wednesday and I went to bed early and could not get up to run Thursday am) and hitting the peak of training over the last couple of weeks. One more long run on Sunday and I'm in taper mode. I'm looking forward to running less, but I know I'll be going crazy by race day. This morning was 16k at goal 1/2 pace. The first 8-10k I ran at or slightly below goal pace, then I picked it up over the last 6k. It felt tough but pretty good thanks to yesterday's unplanned rest day.

AnneWonders
08-12-2005, 09:23 AM
Ali, gels (and water of course) are about the only thing I can handle on the run--everything else from energy bars, to gatorade, to 'real' food makes me either nauseous or gassy. But all gels are not created equal, and I had to try a bunch of different ones to figure out which worked best. Always take them with some water.

MrsD, I have no real insight about your back issue, except to remind you to use good running posture even when you get tired (like in a race!). I constantly have to tell myself that, since I tend to slump, and visualize a ballon attached to my head lifting me up. Sounds stupid, but it works.

I'm just sitting here grinning reading about everyone's running accomplishements! You guys are awesome and should be proud of yourselves. I'm having some more preggo issues all of a sudden, everything is fine, but I'm sitting it out for a while.

Anne

YP1
08-14-2005, 05:49 AM
I did another fast 5k this morning. I absolutely love the fact that I now see 5k as a fairly short, comfortable run as opposed to something that would be killing me for the last 1 - 2k. I've had a really good week this week, I think I've done a couple of 10k runs and a couple of 5ks, probably my best weeks running ever.

LeanneM83
08-14-2005, 03:22 PM
FOR JOY......

Today was the LAST day of my 8 week training program to try and quicken up my race time....
My first race was 10km in 65 minutes....

My goal for my next race was to do it in 60 minutes...(or less, but didnt want to aim tooooooooo high just yet)

SO today, since there are no races going on here, I created my own race....did everything I would do as if there were going to be thousands of people there...(but it was just me)

SOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO................. ..
I did
10km in 54:51.....................YAY YAY YAY YAY YAY YAY YAY YAY YAY YAY

OMG, I still cannot believe it!! I swear, I knew I was going to be a little faster but I had noooooooooooo idea I was 10 MINUTES faster...

Hope everyone has great weekends

Leanne

YP1
08-14-2005, 03:26 PM
That's fantastic!!! Well done!

sugarbianca
08-14-2005, 04:22 PM
Way to go Leanne

Ilene
08-14-2005, 06:22 PM
Wow Leanne that's great :high:

MrsDawsondn
08-15-2005, 11:15 AM
great job Leanne and YP1 you guys are the BOMB okay?!?!? LOL

I have been attempting to weight train and worked shoulders upper body yesterday. Monday is my rest day from running but I will be working out on my lunch break.

MrsDawsondn
08-15-2005, 11:17 AM
Ali, gels (and water of course) are about the only thing I can handle on the run--everything else from energy bars, to gatorade, to 'real' food makes me either nauseous or gassy. But all gels are not created equal, and I had to try a bunch of different ones to figure out which worked best. Always take them with some water.

MrsD, I have no real insight about your back issue, except to remind you to use good running posture even when you get tired (like in a race!). I constantly have to tell myself that, since I tend to slump, and visualize a ballon attached to my head lifting me up. Sounds stupid, but it works.

I'm just sitting here grinning reading about everyone's running accomplishements! You guys are awesome and should be proud of yourselves. I'm having some more preggo issues all of a sudden, everything is fine, but I'm sitting it out for a while.

Anne

Thanks for the advice anne. Hope all is well with baby. When are you due? Be sure to post pics when he/she gets here so we can sing happy birthday to her/him LOL.

paperclippy
08-15-2005, 11:30 AM
Great job Leanne and YP1! I am totally impressed. :cheer:

I did a timed mile this morning, and set a new PR! (every time I do it it's a new PR :lol: ). Two weeks ago I did it in 10:40, and this morning it was 10:21!! I am getting closer and closer to the elusive 10-minute mile! Now I just have to figure out how to run that fast for further than a mile. After running so fast, I felt like I was going to keel over! For longer distances I'm still doing 13-minute miles or more.

taekwondomom
08-16-2005, 02:40 AM
Haven't posted in a bit. But I see everyone is working hard and doing well. :)
Had a busy weekend, was my 29th birthday Saturday(8/13), and I started it out with a 2 mile run (took about 30 minutes).
Today, 8/15, I ran 1.5 miles in about 25 minutes :)
I am so thrilled the running is getting so much easier. Today I ran a little a touch over 1 mile before I started breathing harder and after I was done it took me alot less time to cool down. Yay for increased cardio vascular health! LOL

Ilene
08-16-2005, 08:38 AM
I had a very good run this morning... After about 15 minutes I met up with some gals on the trail who invited me to run them home, WELL, their pace is SOOOO much faster than mine that after 15 minutes, thank gawd we arrived at their corner, I thought I was going to dies, I was able to walk for 2 minutes after I left them... This made me realise though that I must up the ante here and set some goals. Thank goodness September and a new season is around the corner...

Now just a question for the higher paced runners. These girls have invited me to run with them on Thursday morning... I hesitate because my pace is so much slower and I don't want to keep them back... Should I go? What will they do if I'm too slow, I will certainly tell them to run ahead and EVENTUALLY, maybe on their way back I'll have caught up with them :lol:... I just need some 2 cents here...Later!

sugarbianca
08-16-2005, 09:50 AM
hey gals :wave:,
I have 2 more weeks to go till i finish teh cp25k program!!

Laura - Happy belated birthday and congrats on your increased cardio vascular health :cp:

Mrs Dawson - I know I'm late but some time ago you mentioned something about your back during a race, well I didn't offer any insight at the time casue i figured I was too much of a novice to even know what you were talking about, however The other day i remembered that about a month ago while running on a hot morning about 10 I had some back pain, it was like i had a stiff neck but more like the mucsles in my back tensed up, it was because i was not relaxed at all, I was on a new trail that seemed deserted and I almost ran over a snake, I just wanted to finish so i could rest, so maybe your back hurt during the race for almost the same reason.

Ilene - I would do exactley what you suggested, tell then to go ahead and run at my pace, actually 2 weeks ago i ran with this girl who's faster and can run for longer than I can, I let her do her thing and kept to my pace and program of 5 min running, 3 minutes walking, and I actually did catch up with her......on her way back...

YP1
08-16-2005, 02:12 PM
7.5k this morning, I was playing around with my pace again on the treadmill and am definitely getting a lot faster than I used to be. All good :)

MrsDawsondn
08-16-2005, 03:35 PM
Thanks everyone for the advice and thabnks sugarbianca for that food for thought. during both times of tension I was in unfamiliar territory and kind of impatient to get done with the run so maybe that was the issue because I haven't had that problem since and congratulations on your walk/run with your friend sounds like you kept up a pretty good pace! Great going!

I got up 5:45 and got in my 2.8-3.0 route in about 34:38. then worked out on my lunch. I love the feeling from a good weight workout where there's a little resistance!

MrsDawsondn
08-17-2005, 09:50 AM
Got up this morning and did a 42:25 minute walk around the same loop I usually run. I've got to get some coolmax clothing or something with wicking properties I see because my clothing was still wet from yesterday's sweat :o, And I'm gonna be honest I put them right back on and went out :lol: :^:.

I've been in a really bad plateau lately but I think it's begining to break or I must be releasing some water retention or something cause lately I've been peeing like a racehorse and sweating like CRAZY! I mean even when i work out, I sweat so much I get like water droplet size sweat beads on my glasses and have to take them off and clean them and resume working out and repeat LOL. I've been drinking like 128 oz of water daily for a LONG time and I went through these motions the first time I began to drink water alot, but I think My body is going through the first stages all over again or something.

MrsDawsondn
08-18-2005, 09:48 AM
Got up this morning got in my run 34:44 minutes good workout.

Ilene
08-18-2005, 10:16 AM
Thursday -- Got up at 5:30 left the house at 6:30 met up with the girls that asked me to run with them... I was able to keep up pretty well, I guess :lol:, I told them to go ahead if they wanted to, but they didn't when I slowed down (twice) they would go ahead and slow down then wait for me, they were quite nice about it... I was out for 58:00 mins, I think we did about 9k, not sure... It was nice though 10C perfect weather, for me...

YP1
08-18-2005, 02:41 PM
5k this morning, all still going well :)

Celeste0722
08-18-2005, 03:02 PM
Sounds like everyone has been doing great so far!

There is a 5K race that I want to do..but for some reason, I'm SO scared to do it! I just gotta do it. I KNOW I can do it. But for some reason, I'm afraid of being last ..

Also, I've been running about 5-5.5 miles. It feels GREAT!

LeanneM83
08-19-2005, 07:08 AM
Hey everyone

6.4km for me yesterday, cross training, 60 minutes for me today!!
Hoping I can get even faster in the next 6 weeks until my race....yay...lol, I am thinking about getting a shirt made up that says
"mom of 3, celebrates her 27th b day by running" or something cheesier....lol, any suggestions???

Take er easy!

Leanne

MrsDawsondn
08-19-2005, 12:32 PM
got up this morning not wanting to walk but a little voice in my head encouraged me by saying " now you know if you don't walk your gonna be miserable for the rest of the day" LOL so I got up and walked in the rain this morning! I felt great afterwards. Onwards to the gym for some carido and weightlifiting. Oh yeah guess what guys? my butt (gluteous maximuxs) is on a comeback!! YAYYYY

YP1
08-19-2005, 02:23 PM
Another 5k run today. I've not been doing much longer than that though this week, so I really need to get a long run in at the weekend or next week I think.

Ilene
08-19-2005, 02:27 PM
Hey YP1, you're in ONEderland!! :bravo:

MrsDawsondn
08-19-2005, 02:45 PM
yayyyy yp1!!! onderland is wonderful ehh?

oh yeah I was so excited about the booty coming back I ran to the ladies restroom and took some pics :LOL: here check it out!

Booty's coming back woohoo!! (http://public.fotki.com/MrsDawsondn2/mrsdawsondn_part2/comeback.html)

Ilene
08-19-2005, 02:50 PM
WOW :fr: what a diffirence from Oct 04 till now!! You have reason to be proud :bravo:

paperclippy
08-21-2005, 05:28 PM
Wow Mrs. D, you look AWESOME and that comparison shot is great! You look amazing, I know you must have worked really hard for that. Congratulations!

MrsDawsondn
08-22-2005, 04:09 PM
Thanks so much guys you all are awesome!

WEll I will be running tomorrow morning. I think I may take a different route to switch up the workout some but I'll be back to report. Have a great day ladies!

Anine
08-23-2005, 06:20 AM
I ran 18km in 3hours yesterday, on a treadmill. Boooring! Luckily I have my MP3 player, or I would have gone crazy. Still I feel good that I got in the kms, and that I'm slowly getting ready for my marathon in October. San Francisco, here I come!

This morning I got up at 5:30 and did some walking and some TaeBo and strengh for my arms. Way too sore from yesterday to do anything more than that!

sugarbianca
08-23-2005, 08:20 AM
Hey gals,
Hey Bootilicious MrsDawson....lol
Annie : Good Going, 18km!!! That sounds like a mountain climb for me.

I'm on Week 7 DAy 2 of the cp25k, 25 minutes of running is not that hard anymore and it's already chilly here in quebec, this morning it was 10 degrees, lucky for me I'm moving back to the Caribbean next week.

sarahyu
08-23-2005, 09:16 AM
I spoke with a physical therapist a few days ago and she said that the pain in my knees is from the knee cap not sitting high enough on my knee, that I need to build up my quads and those muscles along both sides of my knees. She gave me several exercises to do for the next several weeks and she'd reevaluate it in 3 weeks.

The first thing both the PT and doctor said to me was, "Running is bad, you shouldn't run." From what I've read, running isn't that bad on your knees if you do it properly, with good shoes, good form, not too much. It's such a hassle when you get conflicting infromation from health care providers. The PT at least mellowed out and said, "ok, as long as it doens't hurt, you can try to continue running" But the doctor wanted me to stop running completely and go to biking, swimming or something other less impact.

What a hassle, I've notice a decrease in my abilitity because I've taken it easy for the last couple weeks and tried not to strain anything. It's really hard to keep up with the group now. But, hey it's ok I'll get better and get back into running. I really feel much better when I run regularly, have more energy, my brain doesn't feel as foggy, less depressed-more happy with stable moods, and I want to keep the house clean!

Thanks,
Sarah

MrsDawsondn
08-23-2005, 09:32 AM
Hey girls.. Lol @ sugarbianca thanks. I wish I was going to the carribbean.

Sarahyu don't worry about it you'll be out there going strong with your running group in no time at all.

Got up this morning and did usual morning run and this time decided to actually track my mileage on this route boy was i off LOL. I thought I was running 2.8-3.0 miles when it was actually 2.4 miles. man now my times aren't as good as I thought. I've been running the whole route usually in about 34 minutes. I have really got to up my times on my runs. I really would like joining a running group but I run at 5:45am and in my neighborhood you just don't find hardly anyone that runs at all much less walking that early in the morning. But it's the only time I can get my runs in. Oh well I guess I will just go faster the more weight I lose......

Anyways have a great day guys I'll be back to report in tomorrow.

paperclippy
08-23-2005, 10:42 AM
Anine -- wow, 18km, I'm impressed! And 3 hours on a treadmill, geez. I think I would die of boredom! :lol: I'll be visiting my parents in a few days and they have a treadmill (I usually run on a track or outdoors), but they put it facing a TV, so you could watch a movie during a 2 hour run!

I haven't been running in a while . . . I was out of town at a conference on a super-packed schedule, then my first workout back home was strengthening. Today I was planning on running, but I guess I did a few too many lunges and squats yesterday, and I was too sore! Instead I did the stairmaster, which of course worked exactly the muscles that were sore (glutes and hamstrings), duh. I'm hoping for a run on Thursday, if not then I will try to get some running in when I am on my trip.

Ilene
08-23-2005, 12:30 PM
Just cam back from an hour run... Stopped in to say hi to some girlfriends and since I had had a rest I was able to run 4 times around the track which is 1 mile in 10:40, which I *think* is good...

YP1
08-23-2005, 02:40 PM
10k this morning in 64 minutes. I've done it faster, but not often, and it's been a while since I've managed a run that long so I'm glad I'm back into it.

LeanneM83
08-23-2005, 03:17 PM
Hey Everyone

I did 5 miles/8 km today...and I feel great and my run went really well too....

Leanne

taekwondomom
08-25-2005, 03:29 AM
For the first time in my life, I ran 3.1 miles (5K) today! Took approx. 45 minutes. WOOOO-HOOOO! :D Just wanted to pop in and share the good news, now off to bed, for this tired woman.

sugarbianca
08-25-2005, 07:38 AM
Hey everybody,
Whoo-hoo Laura!!! way to go!
I just finished day 3 of week 7 of the cp25k, not to far to go to run 3.1 miles. I'm off to Miami on sunday then going on to St. Lucia 9 days later.

Ilene
08-25-2005, 09:57 AM
Jaime -- Have fun in St. Lucia lucky you!!

Laura -- :bravo: That's a great accomplishment....

Today I ran about 12k... it was gorgeeeeous out... I met up with a g/f that was walking so I wallked with her for a few blocks to her home then ran back to the trail... When I reached my turn-around I headed to my Mom's and had toast and coffee with her... Then ran home all this before 9am! I love mornings like this :D !

Only Me
08-28-2005, 01:51 PM
I've been busy with house renovations and visiting relatives, so I haven't been around much lately. I had a cold this week too. So the above three factors insured I had an adequate taper going into today's half marathon (29k week, most of it last sunday, compared to my peak of 60k weeks). The weather was great for running, cloudy/light rain and 18C/65F, no wind. Despite the hills over the first few km (I hate hills), I managed to reach my 2:00 goal. 2:00:12 gun time/1:59:02 chip time. I felt pretty weak afterwards, but much better once I got indoors and changed into dry clothing. Now I feel great, but I'm sure my legs will be complaining in the morning.

Mrs.Dawsondn, I've read varying reports about how much faster you get with weight loss, but I think it was around 3 seconds/mile faster per lb lost. And I'm sure that you'll get faster, both with weight loss and with just running more.

Sugarbianca, I LIKE that it's a bit chilly some mornings here now. 10C is perfect running weather to me. I don't think I'd do well in the Caribbean!

Sweater Girl
08-28-2005, 02:27 PM
I was having a great run this morning and at the 2 hour mark my legs just died... I slowly and stubbornly kept going and managed to finish my long slow run, but man, I am freakin sore now... my lungs and heart rate were fine... too much lactic acid I guess in the legs... I shall have a cold bath and then a hot shower later...

I am also all for the temperatures dipping... I ran all winter this past year and as long as it isn't precipitating it's usually great for running... it also helped me tolerate the winter a lot more... I used to hate it so much!!

Good news! no surgery needed for me it seems. I get official confirmation on Tuesday, but it seems my condition has cleared up so yah me!!!

Only Me: Fantastic time for the half-marathon... it sounds like things worked out for you and you were adequately rested. I am guessing you did the one that is in QC. My fiance and I are thinking of doing that one next year (I haven't been up there since I was 2... was suppose to go there during secondary 4 <I think it's almost required in the Quebec school system>, but the trip was cancelled for dubious reasons).

Cheers!

Ali:)

lizzbabe
08-28-2005, 05:51 PM
I don't know how you all keep up this running all the time. I did 8 miles this morning and thought my legs were going to fall off when I finished. I have been committed to my running plan but it's hard work!!

Ilene
08-28-2005, 07:29 PM
:lol: @ Liz it is hard work isn't it?

lizzbabe
08-29-2005, 12:32 AM
...but worth it in the end right? :) I have a 5-k race coming up in a couple weeks and I know keeping that in mind as a goal is really helping.

Ilene
08-29-2005, 08:29 AM
Lizz -- YES, it is well worth it!!

Just finished an hour run, I guess it's about 10k give or take... I found it difficult at first because it had been 4 days since my last run, but once I got my second wind it was all good...

I had a good weekend although I ate wayyyy too much, but it's a new week and almost a new month :faint: Can anyone believe how fast August has gone??

paperclippy
08-29-2005, 01:07 PM
Ilene -- August has gone way too fast! What happened to summer already??

I'm at home in SoCal right now, and I have actually managed to get in my running! Today I went to a lake with a path around it and jogged about half an hour, and a couple days ago I jogged around my neighborhood. Yesterday was weights. Now I'm getting ready for a very long plane flight, and then I will try to go running at my hotel's gym during this conference I am going to.

I think I might need new running shoes . . . I love my shoes, but sometimes the arch of my foot rubs too much on the arch support and I get blisters, and I have to stop running early. :( This doesn't always happen, I think it has to do with how tightly I tie my shoes. Hmmmm.

Ilene
08-29-2005, 01:18 PM
PaperC -- If you've got 500-800k on your runners, it's time for a change... I didn't think I needed new ones but after 6 months and less than 500k, I got a new pair and what a difference that was...

sugarbianca
08-30-2005, 03:11 PM
Hey everybody,
I got to florida on sunday, I finally got off my lazy behind and ran this morning around mid-day, big mistake, Ony me I conceed, 10 degrees is much better weather for running. There is a neat park for running and exercising called the Health/Thera Trail about 30 minutes away from the house with lots of ducks and turtles, swans, geese and iguanas running around, after 15 minutes i was begging for 28 minutes to come so i could stop running and go home....lol I will definatly have to get up in the early morning if I'm to survive this heat, hopefully st. lucia will not be as hot. ( wishful thinking I know). I'm almost done the cp25k ( i would have been done already but I took days off when i was super tired and I've lost 20lbs since June whoo hoo!!

YP1
08-30-2005, 03:39 PM
I did 10k in 66 minutes on the treadmill this morning, I've not run since the middle of last week so I'm glad to get back into it :)

taekwondomom
08-31-2005, 02:15 AM
Had a lovely 3.5 mile run today. :) Bought a portable CD player and been loving it! I run faster when I listen to fast music.

MrsDawsondn
08-31-2005, 09:14 AM
For the first time in my life, I ran 3.1 miles (5K) today! Took approx. 45 minutes. WOOOO-HOOOO! :D Just wanted to pop in and share the good news, now off to bed, for this tired woman.

congrats taekwondomom that is awesome!!!! you did it girl I'm so happy for you!

MrsDawsondn
08-31-2005, 09:22 AM
lizzbabe you run 8 miles a day?????? Oh My gosh that's ALOT of running but I guess depending on your goal if that's what you have to do then so be it! I just don't see myself running that far anytime soon especially on a daily basis geesh!

Sugarbianca lol @ the heat comment. Yes I like running in cooler temps myself. And 20 lbs loss!?!? You are the BOMB you go girl!!! and remember to pace yourself in those runs don't wanna burn out too fast.

sweatergirl I am overjoyed that you don't have to go into surgery * does victory dance for ali* great !!!!!

Only Me thanks so much for the advice I am almost postive that this is true because I have been running a tid bit faster with weightloss. My 5k race time was 41:20 and the other day I went running on the trail in my nieghborhood and ran it in exactly 40 minutes flat! I was so happy about that. And yesterday morning I ran my 1 mile marker in 11 minutes instead of my usual 13 minutes woohoo yayy right? Thanks for the advice , and wow great times for your runs!

Ilene it sounds like your run was great !

Well it's been raining domething terrible here but that hasn't stopped me from running I've been doing really Good! unfortunately my some internet service has been cut off so the only time I can get on is at work. So I haven't been updating lately but I'm still here and I'm still getting my running in girls keep up the awesome work!

lilith9
08-31-2005, 12:53 PM
Hello everyone,

I must say, your accomplishments and dedication certainly are inspiring. I just started running about a week and a half ago, and I run a route that is roughly 2 miles long. I'm not even close to running the whole route yet, but it includes a lot of steep (and lengthy!) hills and on good days I can run just over half of it straight through before stopping to walk. For me, that is an accomplishment. I see the hills as a plus, because when I do manage to run all of them it really gives me a mental boost. Regaining some self confidence is going to be a huge issue for me right now. At this point, Im not too concerned about being able to run the entire route. I still feel good just having gotten out and made the effort, and when I do need to walk, I walk as fast as I can (and even in just a week and a half, I think my recovery times are already a little shorter). As long as my heart rate is staying up, I feel satisfied that I'm on the right track.

Still tho, I can't wait until it is me who is posting that Ive just run 3 miles in 40 minutes, or ran a total of 2 hours (or something else similarly impressive).

My personal challenge at the moment, in addition to the physical goals, is to keep running regularly and to make exercise a habit. I am easily distracted and have a very hard time really sticking to things, long term. So -- this is a beginning. Every day, I will keep plugging away at it.

Keep up the excellent work, ladies; y'all are a huge inspiration :0)

lilith

sugarbianca
08-31-2005, 02:56 PM
thanks mrsdawson, this morning i was up at 6 at it was not blistering hot and sunny, but humid hot, better than last time, i even ran and extra minute after 28 minutes was up. next run will be my first 30 minute run!!1

LaMariposita
08-31-2005, 10:36 PM
Hi everyone! I have to say that this forum was the best thing for my running! It's made it easier for me to get out there every day. Next Saturday, I'm running my first 5K race in almost 5 years. I'm pretty excited, but nervous, too. I'm just hoping to break 30 minutes--I'm feeling pretty good, so hopefully I can do it! Reading everyone else's posts on their running accomplishments really have been motivational in keeping me going every day!
Laura

lizzbabe
08-31-2005, 10:55 PM
MrsDawson--No I definitely don't run 8 miles everyday! Sunday is my long slow distance run.

Lilith--way to go on the running! the toughest part is starting up and soon you will be posting challenges of your own and the big smile on your face when you accomplish them!

Laura--good luck on the 5-k! I am sure you will do just fine. I did my first 5-k in May and got a time of 26:21 so I have faith that you can break 30 min!

Today I did 3.6 miles at a park with a friend. We realized that if we ran the route in the opposite direction as normal it seems completely different and time goes by much quicker. And when we run by a certain point we are forced to sprint because there are two mean geese that chase after us! Makes it interesting, that is for sure.