South Beach Diet Fat Chicks on the Beach!

Closed Thread

Old 02-27-2005, 09:05 AM   #1  

S/C/G: 284/260/160

Default Newbie here 1st day ?s

Good Morning Ladies! This is my first day on SBD. I have been on Atkins before. I got scared when I realized how much fat I was eating on that plan. I am going to get the SBD book today. I researched SBD all afternoon on the net yesterday. I recently had a physical and was told by my doctor to go on SBD. My cholesterol is too high and I have a BMI of 37! I am going to be 30 in a couple weeks. My father had angioplasty at 35 and double bypass at 38. His mother had heart disease and a heart attack as well. All of her brothers died from heart attacks. Also, my mothers' father had a heart attack. So, my doctor told me if i don't get a significant amount of weight off and my cholesterol lower within 3 months, then I will have to go on medication and he is recommending gastric bypass surgery. He said I should be on the medication now, but he would like to see if SBD could help me before we turn to medicine. So...I had a scrambled egg this morning with 2 vegetarian sausage links. I am going to have a sugar free jello around mid morning. I plan on having a salad with romain lettuce, tomatoes ( a little shredded cheese), and a chicken breast made on the george foreman. I do have a question though. I know that SBD is not a carb counting plan. Although I have seen many places mentioning to use the Low Carb dressing. My question is, which is better, the fat free dressing or low carb dressing? How many fat grams are too much for dressing? I know this place is great for support. I will be posting on here on weekends in the evening during the week. I generally don't have time during the day at work. BTW I have 2 beautiful children, daughter 3 & son 5, that are absolutely my world. I have to get my health under control.
Old 02-27-2005, 10:12 AM   #2  
GARDENING ADDICT

Welcome to the beach I'm glad that you are taking steps toward a healthier self (especially based on your family history!!)
Check out the thread under FAQ and you will find tons of info.
I think the Low Carb dressings such as Carb Well are high in fat (13gms per serving). You would do much better with a dressing that is lower in fat (not sure of the amount) and has less than 2 in the sugars. I don't have my book available right now, sorry . Good luck.
Old 02-27-2005, 11:38 AM   #3  
beachbum

WELCOME TO THE BEACH you came to the right Way Of Eating, the South Beach Diet is the Healthiest one out there.

My Doctor but me on the south beach 2 years ago,along with pills for my Cholestrol & Triglycerides as my cholestrol was very very HIGH and now it down to almost normal. I still have take my meds until I get down lower. I go for another check up in June. Hopefully I'll be off the pills. for good. Have a nice day HugsBB
Old 02-27-2005, 11:58 AM   #4  

Welcome! I use the salad dressing recipe that is in the book Delicious and I know exactly what is in it.
Old 02-27-2005, 12:03 PM   #5  
Bunnababy

S/C/G: 294/261/150

Welcome! Glad you're getting the book as there is so much good information in there.
Old 02-27-2005, 12:36 PM   #6  
A Lily from my yard!

Welcome aboard!
Old 02-27-2005, 12:54 PM   #7  

Height: 5'-2"

Welcome to the Beach!
AZlowcarber is right... you're better off using the dressing from the book.
Check the sugar count on the low-fat dressing... it may be high.
Looking forward to chatting with you!
Old 02-27-2005, 01:20 PM   #8  

Welcome to the Beach! I got on South Beach for the same reason. Just a couple of months after starting this way of eating, my cholesterol dropped from 248 to 181. My doctor is thrilled with my cholesterol numbers now (and I'm off almost all blood pressure medicine).

Did you check the ingredients of your vegetarian sausage compared to our food lists? I know some vegetarian products have ingredients that are not allowed. I usually use Canadian Bacon or turkey bacon. Make sure the cheese is reduced fat. I don't make scrambled eggs as much as I used to since I used to cook them in butter (although I guess I could use Smart Balance). I think one of the main keys to success here is really trying hard to get your 4 1/2 cups of vegetables a day. BTW, I use Newman's Own Balsamic Vinegrette dressing. It's good and perfectly allowed. You want to make sure that the oil used in dressing is one of the good oils.
Old 02-27-2005, 02:01 PM   #9  

S/C/G: 186/147/135

Height: 5'1"

Welcome to the Beach, Grn Ize!
Old 02-27-2005, 04:03 PM   #10  

S/C/G: 284/260/160

Thumbs up

Thank you all for that wonderful welcome. I just got home from buying the book. Now, I am going to sit down and read. I also bought Good Fats Good Carbs Guide. The real test will come next week. We are going to visit a childhood friend of mine. I already called her and told her about my dr visit. I said that I can not cheat. I am pretty determimed right now. So, I hope my enthusiasm level stays high. Talk to you "chickies" later. Thanks again.
Old 02-27-2005, 05:45 PM   #11  
Come on Spring!

S/C/G: 232/170/150

Height: 5'0" on a tall day

Pecking in a bit late with a big
WELCOME!
Old 02-27-2005, 08:33 PM   #12  
Ready to Change

S/C/G: 170/160/125

Height: 5 ft

Welcome to the beach. I use olive oil when I scramble my eggs or make an omlette.
Old 02-28-2005, 01:11 PM   #13  
buzz buzz buzzin along

Talking Welcome!!!

HI I would just comparison shop.. I log all my foods in fitday and was realizing I eat allot of fat in other foods so I go I with low fat. I love to make my own but sometime I just want something easy.

Also, they ladies here will tell you that somethings that make this diet really work are lots of Water and 4.5 cups of vegetables a day!

Glad you came on over!!
Closed Thread