PCOS/Insulin Resistance Support Support for us with any of the following: Insulin Resistance, Syndrome X, Polycystic Ovarian Syndrome, or other endocrine disorders.

Old 10-25-2004, 07:17 AM   #1  
working off those pounds

S/C/G: 350+/ticker/150

Height: 5'5"

Default what diet plans have worked best for you?

Since we're 'insulin resistant' does that mean a low carb diet is best for us? I'm doing weight watchers right now, which basically means i'm simply cutting out fat and calories, and I dont seem to be having much luck.

I'm wondering if I need to be more strict, WW lately seems QUITE lax, as they have the Flex Plan which allows you to store extra points and either splurge a LITTLE a FEW times a week, or A LOT ONCE a week.
VermontChick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2004, 01:18 PM   #2  
Just Me

S/C/G: 364/--/182

Height: 5'6"

Meliss,

The WW Core program may be more beneficial for you, it is very similar to the SBD which I am currently on. I have had more luck eating low glycemic index foods and low saturated fat than when I was on a low fat diet.
nelie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2004, 04:14 PM   #3  
Rattie Lover

I am doing the "what works for me" plan. I just changed what I ate, like from junk food to healthy eats like fresh fruits, veggies, wheat bread, 2% milk, lowfat stuff, yogurts, chicken, tuna, turkey, stuff like that. I drink ALOT of water, almost a gallon a day, and avoid most sugary stuff, including sodas, candy, fruit juices, etc. (But I do have to have my chocolate fix!! ) I also started exercising, and managed to lose 55 pounds!! Although I gained back 9. But I'll lose it again....it isn't the same as gaining the 90 I gained!!

Hope this helps...
Noodles913 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2004, 05:56 PM   #4  
working off those pounds

S/C/G: 350+/ticker/150

Height: 5'5"

Nelie -

You bring up a good point, I did try south beach and got really ill from it. I was considering combining the points system with eating a low glycemic index...my problem is that I do not feel like I'm in control unless I'm counting calories. But thank you for the reminder, I'm gonna glance over that plan again.

Noodles -
I've made a few modifications, whenever I snack now, I'm opting for a slice of lean bologna or cheese..or vegetables...rather than the sugary stuff like yogurt or even low fat crackers. It's just been really tough for me lately.
VermontChick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2004, 07:05 PM   #5  
Rattie Lover

Quote:
Originally Posted by MissMeliss
I'm opting for a slice of lean bologna or cheese..or vegetables...rather than the sugary stuff like yogurt or even low fat crackers. It's just been really tough for me lately.
The yogurts that I eat are the fat free low low sugar ones. I can't tolerate the high sugary stuff anymore. I also use Splenda...I love that stuff!! I eat the yogurts for the beneficial bacteria. It makes a big difference in my body when I have a yogurt a day than when I don't. Keeps things "Normal" so to speak. I also mix some granola in as an added bonus.

It's always hard...It's been hard on me too, but if I didn't do these lifestyle changes, I would of wound up with diabetes (I was already over boarderline), my arthritis would of gotten worse, my liver would of been worse, and everything else that goes along with obesity. When the doctor told me make changes or else...something inside of me snapped and I that's what I did, and am still doing to this day. Now though it's more routine now than anything because I made it a part of my life like brushing my teeth. But...I still crave that Big Mac and fries... The important thing though is I dont eat it. And when a craving gets REALLY bad, it's O.K. to have a treat. I think if I didn't, I'd go NUTS!! Wait, sometimes I'm already there.

Hang in there...we're here for ya...
Old 10-31-2004, 03:34 PM   #6  

Hi All & MissMeliss:

I am usually on the WW forum & just happened to notice this PCOS forum today and it is so appropriate at this point in my life because Wednesday I am going in for laparoscopy. They think I may have ovarian cancer. They don't think it is endometriosis. But, if it turns out not to be either, I hope one question will be definitively answered....do I have PCOS? so I can get the appropriate treatment...

I have not been definitely diagnosed with PCOS -- yet, but all the symptoms are there and I have been undergoing fertility testing for 3 1/2 years. I have almost doubled my weight in the last 12 years. In January 2004, I finally joined WW for the 3rd time. This time it stuck! To date I have lost 54 lbs. I may lose it a little slower & have to work a little harder than others, but it is the most successful I have been on any diet...oops, I mean eating lifestyle. I've discovered the secret...I couldn't do it alone. The support of the WW meetings has helped so much. I couldn't do it without them.

The Flex Points may seem lax, but you have to find the right combo of carbs, protein & fat that works for you. Your WW leader should be able to give you the sheet of "pie chart". You can minimize your carbs. I haven't totally eliminated them, but they are much less dominant in my daily diet. They are more in keeping with a well balanced diet. I have read somewhere on the interenet about a "whole foods" diet for women with PCOS. Avoiding processed foods, especially processed meats. Now, everyone is different, but I have found that while on WW, I was eating those 1 point hot dogs & bologna (which I heard about from other WW members & I got addicted to) seemed to cause me to gain weight. So I've drastically minimized processed foods from my diet. I eat as little sugary products as possible. Splenda is a god send for me.

I can tell you that after losing 54 lbs., which I still have more to go, but I'm at the weight I was 4 1/2 years ago. So if you look at in comparison, I've lost 4 1/2 yrs. worth of weight gain in 10 months, that's not bad. At least I didn't gain that much.

Maybe adjust your WW plan to your body needs. But stick to it. I do believe it is one of the healthiest time tested weight loss plans out there. My mother is a lifetime member. She became one when I was a child.

So, my advise...stick with WW and modify it to your life. I am living proof that it works. Keep up the good work.

amcap74

P.S. As I got used to the reduced calories on WW, I find myself using the 35 Flex Points less & less. I think this helps me. Also bear in mind, I have lost most of my weight w/o much regular exercise.

Last edited by amcap74; 10-31-2004 at 03:40 PM.
amcap74 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2004, 04:12 PM   #7  
225/202/185

I'm also doing WW, which only works for me if I exercise too. I don't know if low carb is the right thing to do for us...I'm thinking more in terms of the "right" carbs and balancing out the diet so that it includes a little bit of everything (veggies, lean meat, dairy, grains, and fats).

I do eat some "low fat" products, but when it comes down to it, I do prefer the real stuff. The low fat cheeses just don't cut it. So therefore, I have to cut down on the amount that i eat of it.

Anyhoo...finding the right combination of foods & flex points is a good place to start. I've found that i"ve lost the most successfully when I use the recipes on the WW website -- they actually do taste really good!! I don't know what I'd do without my "Silky Lentil Soup" now.

It's frustrating, but hang in there...we'll be here to help you out.

Cass
rumpleteazer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2004, 05:35 PM   #8  

Yes, I agree with you Cass. I also try to eat the "right" carbs. Usually 100% Whole Wheat light bread, low carb or wheat or soy pastas....anytime I can get whole wheat or whole grain as opposed to white. Even brown rice over white. There was a recent study published that watched 2 groups of people over 10 years. 1 that ate white bread the other ate whole wheat. The group that ate whole wheat has smaller waist lines. Those who ate white where thicker in the middle. I think this could definitely be a possibility for those of us with PCOS.

It is frustrating but we will survive.

amcap74
amcap74 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2004, 06:33 PM   #9  
Swimming Mouse

I have to agree that "right carbs" works better. I don't eat much white stuff at all anymore. I eat whole wheat bread, or rye, or multigrain. I bought some pancakes today, and they are whole wheat too.
I do admit that my rice is white, though... brown rice does strange things to my digestive system and that's already sensitive enough. It doesn't need any additional help to make me sick. I have some issues with whole fat items too... I have to limit how much of any whole milk products I eat (I've had a milk allergy my whole life, and couldn't drink real milk till nearly 9 years old), in addition to the new digestive issues that seem related to digestive hormones. My body doesn't like anything with too much fat in it.
Anonymouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2004, 01:09 AM   #10  
Rattie Lover

I'm with you mouse...I tried the brown rice and it just isn't the same as the white rice. But for the rest of the grains I eat, it's all brown. Even my tortillas.

Glad to see all of you here!! Don't forget we have a monthly chat area too!! I'm going to start a new one up for November. Come join in and blab away!! Yay!!
Old 11-10-2004, 01:00 PM   #11  
Gotta move my Thang!

Cool Insulin Resistance Diet?

Hi Ladies,

I'm trying "The Insulin Resistance Diet" - anyone tried that? It seems pretty similar to South Beach, except that it gives you a formula to follow for carb vs. protein ratio. (15 g carb per 7 g protein, no more than 35 g carb per meal or snack, veggies & some fruits in quantity, aerobic exercise every day.) It suggests that you eat moderately every 2-3 hours to keep insulin levels at a relatively steady output, no spikes. Portion control is important if you're eating that often! I've only been trying it a few days, but the science the authors quote seems sound and are things I have seen in other reading. I'll keep folks posted, but I'm down 3 pounds this morning! Yahoo!

BTW - for computer nerds like me, I'm using free palm-based tools to track weight and exercise from www.hackersdiet.com. You can track your weight and print out html graphs of your progress, fun! The rest of the site is explaining his particular weight-loss method; I've lost weight on that plan in the past, but found it easy to fall off the wagon and regain when I was so calorie-focused, rather than trying to move toward an overall healthier diet.

Ciao!
Kim
solarmama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2004, 07:46 PM   #12  
Swimming Mouse

I'll jump in here with two food reviews: Diet Shasta Root Beer (no aspartame!), and TASTES LIKE REAL ROOT BEER. I was so surprised. I only bought it at the store because it was way cheap... Like $1.25 for the 6 pack because my mom picked it up at the commissary for me when she went. I'd tried the Boylans cream soda and root beer, because I *DO* like root beer at times (especially with fat-free or low-sugar/fat-free yogurt/ice cream!)... and while their black cherry is very good, the root beer and cream soda were just horrid.
And whole wheat pasta from Macaroni Grill. All you have to do is ask, and they'll give you whole wheat pasta. Its VERY good. I hope the San Giorgio whole wheat pasta I bought at the store is just as good.

Old 11-10-2004, 10:32 PM   #13  
Rattie Lover

I found a GREAT soda here...that takes the place of my Dr. Pepper. I stopped drinking Dr. Pepper over a year ago, and I just don't like the taste of the Diet one either, plus the aspartame makes my body itch. But I happened upon a soda called Kalils "Diet Dr. Good Guy". Zero calories, NO aspartame, and it tastes good!! Probably because they use Splenda.

Now if they could only make & 's with splenda....
Old 11-11-2004, 06:52 PM   #14  
Swimming Mouse

Why not? Hershey is making sugar-free chocolate with Splenda. I haven't tried it, because ultimately: its still a chocolate bar. And not a coated chocolate bar like snickers, or peanut butter cups, which I can eat small amounts of...

Old 12-02-2004, 06:59 AM   #15  

WW had worked for me I lost over 50 lbs on it, BUt I had to revise it a little. I cut out a lot of carbs and lots of execise. But it did work and wasn't to hard actually now i'm at it again. <sigh> why did I have to go and gain it back!
gitrdonelisa is offline   Reply With Quote