Weight and Resistance Training Boost weight loss, and look great!

Closed Thread

Old 08-16-2004, 12:09 PM   #1  

S/C/G: 202/144/Lean/Fit

Height: 5'2

Default Week of August 16 - 22, 2004

Hi all,

I survived the weekend with clean eating (minus a bit of microwave popcorn) and 16 CHEERLEADERS in my house for a sleepover. I even made pancakes the next morning for all and stuck to an egg white omelette.

Go Tiki, Go Tiki!

More later, but I wanted to get the thread going!
Old 08-16-2004, 12:11 PM   #2  
Mel

Default Week of Aug 16 - Aug 22, 04

No new thread yet? Is today National Sleep-In Day and I missed it?

Back from the gym, chest, tri's and cardio done! Yahoo
Eats are clean, and the sun is briefly shining.

Happy Monday to all,
Mel
Old 08-16-2004, 12:34 PM   #3  
Uber-Moderator!!

Two gals with the same idea!!!

That's alright - I just merged the threads.

We had a crappy weather day on Saturday (I was going to lie out in my sister's backyard, but there was NO SUN - well there was SUN, it was just behind a big ol' fogbank...) but yesterday was nice and today's even better (of course I'm at WORK, so it's not like I can enjoy it or anything. )

Same old same old here - gym, riding, Pilates, Yoga, clean eats (except for a couple treats over the weekend...). Life is good!
Old 08-16-2004, 12:35 PM   #4  

Default Happy Monday!!

Hi Guys..
How goes it...
I had an aweosme weekend albeit a short one. Back at work this morning.I have good news and bad news about the cake at my son's B-day.
The Bad News is...I ate a Peice. Darn it!!
The Good news is... I ate *A* peice...as opposed to 2 or 3 or 6....
For me, it is the best I have ever done. I am wiping myself off and moving on.
Other than that, I actualy ate clean. Another first for me. Usually, I use a slip as an excuse to go "Ah....what the ****...." and gobble down every goodie in the house. I didn't do that this time so I am feeling good about that.

Nelie:
What your ex BF did was more than inconsiderate...it was an obvious shot at you. I would write him back and say
"I received the photgraph you sent. I'm so very sorry your self-worth has sunk so low as to cause you to to behave in such a pathetic manner. Stepping on others does not make you any bigger or more important. I'm sure you realize that now and probably feel very stupid. How sad. I'll keep you in my prayers...."

That's just me though.....

More later
XOXO
L2L
Old 08-16-2004, 03:15 PM   #5  

Good Morning Everyone,

The weekend was pretty good for me too. Weekends are more difficult for me because they are not as structured as M-F but I really did better then usual on eating. I did some cardio on Saturday. It was actually cool and pretty comfortable in AZ this weekend. We had a great rain storm while I was getting my ears lowered Friday night, my hairdresser offered to walk me to my car with an umbrella. The nice thing is if you wait 10 minutes in AZ the rain goes and before I could get home we just had wet roads. It is really funny to watch people drive in the rain; traffic was backed up for miles. It was crazy; just imagine what it would be like if there was a little snow involved. I was born and raised in NY State so it just amazes me to see people so over whelmed by wet roads.

Anyway, today is upper body day for me; I didn’t get to do it before work, I got to puttering around the house and ran out of time, so I’m looking forward to working out the minute I get home. I actually worked my arms last week to “failure” for the first time. I never heard of that term until I started reading this site. I felt so successful; the only sad thing is that I was shocked it took such a light weight to do it. I really t h o u g h t I was in better shape then that, well I will be pretty soon.

TTFN
Old 08-16-2004, 07:36 PM   #6  
Meg

Sounds dee - lish, Jack! I'll be right over.

Life is topsy-turvy/upside down/inside out and backwards here -- DS is starting college in Orlando next week and we were supposed to leave on Wednesday to drive down, furnish his apartment, and get him settled. Hurricane Charlie has changed our plans a bit! Now we're going to sit tight here in Pittsburgh and wait until we hear that the power and water are back on before we set out. Right now it looks like the earliest we'll leave is Friday, arriving Saturday. It probably doesn't make a lot of sense to move INTO a disaster area, but we don't have a choice since his classes are still scheduled to start as planned on 8/26.

So I've been getting rid of my stress in the gym and have had three outstanding workouts in a row: back, chest, and bi's & tri's today. All my upper body is sore so it must be time to do legs tomorrow!

Congratulations on the clean eats, L2L and Tiki! (and yes, I totally agree that just one piece of cake is an achievement ) Evangeline, my dear -- don't be embarrassed about the weight you're lifting -- we all started with light weights. The important thing is to lift that weight (regardless of how light) with perfect form. Nothing makes me like seeing guys slinging heavy weights around with horrible form and actually endangering themselves and the people around them. Usually accompanied with massive grunts and groans. But boy oh boy are they impressing themselves!!

Here's to a week of clean eats and no more hurricanes!
Old 08-16-2004, 07:55 PM   #7  

TIKI - I have a soon to be 6 YO, are sleepovers with 16 cheerleaders in my future??? I guess I better make some progress at the gym and improve my stamina.

MEG - Good luck moving son into the dorms. I just don't know the point of starting classes before Labor Day.

I have been gearing up using BFL/EFL as a way to get back into the weight training. I did my upper body workout this morning, and am getting into the rountine slowly and surely.

Eating is going along pretty good, modifying the Atkins I was on. And the Farmer's Market has things which haven't ripened in my own garden yet. That makes it easier to eat clean.

One piece of cake is a celebration, it is the second third and fourth which are out of control, you do know that the whole cake tastes the same?? That is what I have to remind myself all the time, as well as I have had this before. LOL.

You guys are really motivating. I have my plan for the week even though I would just love to veg in front of the TV and watch Olympics, but I just think about that beach volley ball and suck in my gut and do some more reps.

Liza
Old 08-16-2004, 08:45 PM   #8  

Default Happy Anniversary to Me!

Let’s roll up the rugs. Hang the streamers. It’s my LWL first anniversary, and I’m ready to rock and roll!

Actually, I’ve been downright serious about this post as Aug. 15 approached. And I’ve been surprised to find myself of such a serious bent. If you had suggested to me a year ago, when I first dipped my toe into the LWL waters, that I would set so much store in the this anniversary, I think I would have called you daft. Little did I know then how important you all would become to me as I embarked on this new path. It’s been an illuminating year, and you all know what that means: long post follows.

First, the stats: This morning, I weighed 143. On Aug. 15, 2003, I weighed 140. In the intervening 365 days, I’ve swung between 138 and 145. I’d rather be lower than higher, but I’ve begun to wean myself from the scale, and I’m not overly distressed at the numbers. And, on a very positive note, I’d point out that I did not regain the 50 pounds I’ve lost a couple of times over. And I did not have to purchase a whole new wardrobe. The old wardrobe – still 10s and 12s -- fits just fine.

I did not make my goal, set about April or so, of reducing my body fat significantly or increasing my muscle weight significantly. So, that becomes the goal for Year No. 2.

But was the year a total loss? Far from it! In fact, it’s been a remarkable year. I’ve learned a whole new way of eating, which really translates into a whole new way of living. I’ve added significant exercise into my life, and I’m preparing to add even more. I’m healthier than I was a year ago, and I know how to take better care of myself.

Here are a few of my breakthroughs:

I’ve learned how to spoil my dinner! This may be my greatest achievement (please tell me that you’re as dotty as I am about these things – I mean, did I really just call this my “greatest achievement ), because I’ve finally learned how to eat 5 or 6 small meals a day. By that I mean, I’ve learned that small means SMALL, like 250-300 max; that small meals need to be evenly spaced out through the day, so that I never get too hungry; that lots of small meals need lots of big planning.

Why am I so proud of being able to spoil my dinner? Because if I eat a small meal about 4 or 4:30 p.m., I do not walk in the front door at 6:30, absolutely starving. And that means when I sit down for dinner, I don’t morph into a human Hoover, scarfing up everything except the pattern on the plate. Au contraire. I am able to eat a nice small dinner, and be happy. Boy and girls, this is major. In my case, it has made a huge dent in my night eating, and that alone may be the most important accomplishment of the whole blooming year. But wait, there’s more.

I’ve learned how to eat by the clock. This is a funny accomplishment, since I spent so many years learning NOT to eat by the clock. In my bad old days, every time a “mealtime” rolled around, I ate, hungry or not. Time for brunch? Let’s eat. Time for lunch? Let’s eat (even if I’d had that aforementioned brunch). Teatime? Dinnertime? You got it – I had that knife and fork out faster than you could ask, “But are you hungry?” Now that was the stumper question. Who knew? Not me.

So, as I began to re-learn how to eat, I focused on learning to eat when I was hungry, and learning not to eat when I was not. I’d say I was pretty successful. I usually know, now, when my body is hungry (compared to being “mouth hungry.”) This is valuable knowledge. However, for me to successfully follow the several-small-meals-a-day plan, I need to watch that clock and ensure that I eat about every three hours. I’m not always starving at the three-hour mark, and that’s the beauty of it. Because I’m not starving, I don’t overeat. In fact, in the last two weeks or so, I’ve not gorged once. I tell you, it’s a blooming miracle! I just coast along, feeling quite fine, thank you very much.

I’m learning to eat thoughtfully (thank you Silverbirch), which for me includes the notion of looking at what I’ve put on that plate and recognizing that it’s enough. You see, my “full” switch is busted. Kaput. As I said, I usually know when I’m empty, but it takes me a long time to know when I’m full – sometimes up to an hour after a meal. This is a lesson I’ve learned in the last year, largely because others had already figured it out and mentioned it. I also have come to realize that I’m not a volume eater; I feel better when I eat small portions. To put it another way, I feel dreadful when I eat too much. So, in addition to savoring what I eat, I also remind myself that if I’ve weighed and measured (or done a good job of estimating), then what’s on the plate is all I need, and that if I eat more, I will regret it. I’m still working on this, but it’s getting ever so much easier. And when I come to the end of what’s on the plate, I quit. Plain and simple. And wait. And you know what? I’m almost always full.

Incidentally, as a result of the foregoing, I’ve decided to quit “banking” calories or setting calories aside for a big holiday meal or a special occasion. When I do that, all I do is work myself into a frenzy over what I’ve eaten and what I’m (not) going to eat. As Nero Wolfe (anyone remember him?) would say, pfui. From now on, I eat my small meals. I “ruin” the big event meal, which means I will eat lightly, but I will enjoy. And I will go on.

You know what’s really interesting about all of this: it only came together in the last month or so. When I hit that slump in mid-summer, and started rereading threads all over LWL, my little mental machinery clicked. The personal stories; the menus; the recipes; the workout routines; all the threads made a whole.

So, where do I go from here? To me, the next obvious chapter is all about exercise – finding workouts that work for me. My morning cardio is obviously one important component, as is yoga, which is assuming a more and more important place in day. I’m looking forward to working with the physical therapist I met last week, and with the personal trainer I’ve contacted. And I’m really looking forward to year No. 2.

To you, my friends, I send my heartfelt and my warmest regards. I couldn’t have done it without you.

Affectionately,
Old 08-16-2004, 11:05 PM   #9  
Ilene the Bean

Cool

Robin ~~ Wow! One year, how time flies... Congrats! I wish I remembered the first time I set foot in the LWL forum. Where I met a bunch of women who worked out as hard as I did ... Your post made me reflect that this is where I learned how to eat properly too... The 5-6 small meals/day, that for me is also the biggest and best change I have done since meeting this gang of dedicated women ... I also used to worry about spoiling my supper if I ate around 4PM, and like you I would Hoover my supper meal, yep plate design and all ... Also the "thoughtful" eating, I do love that one too Silver! Another thing I realise about this forum is that the more I talk and reflect about my eating problems and just when I "THINK" I'm alone... Someone comes up with the same problem I have, it's great not to feel so lonely in this healthy lifestyle. So Robin here's to another productive year, you've come such a long way and best of luck in your future workout endeavours ...

Liza ~~ Ain't it the truth the WHOLE cake does taste the same as the first small piece... I must remember that next time I feel a second piece idea coming on...

Megster!! YOU are just too buzy for words I get reading your posts!!

Yea Jack your meal sounds awesome!! Be right over in about, oh lets see, 8 hours or so...

L2L ~~ No small accomplishment a small piece of cake good for you on that piece! What a great come back for Nel's x, I wish I could think that quickly...

Evangeline ~~ Meg is absolutely right we all had to start somewhere... So hang in there, and congrats to you for at least going to failure, most don't they worry they are going to "bulk" up... Remember we don't have the hormones to do that!!

Tiki ~~ 16 for a sleepover!! How come all mothers are s except me? I'd go a little ... And to keep it a clean weekend too! Good for you!

Hi Mel Hi Karen!! Dipster where are you? And Tidey where art thou? And JC where are ya bloke?

I had a good day... food was so-so I'm having a difficult time with evening eating I will have to work on that... but workout was excellent, did legs and biked 20k...

Now I'm and must go to bed...TTFN...

Last edited by Lanaii1; 08-16-2004 at 11:27 PM.
Old 08-17-2004, 09:40 AM   #10  

Good Morning, All!

I stopped by twice yesterday and both times was interrupted for something else.

I'm happy to report that getting back on track included the Sunday morning weekly pre-preps of food. Eggplant, broiled tomatoes and grilled salmon were cooking at 7AM. I'm sure my neighbors were wondering what I was grilling so early. Also back to using Fitday, which was another good habit gone by the wayside due to lack of computer access being away from home so much.

Meg, your agenda this year has made me dizzy too.

Robin - awesome post! Made me realize my one year is coming up too, I think around 9/15. Good time for reflection, for sure. I have to agree that the one thing I've come to recognize too is real hunger. Now to master it.

Ilene - I can't believe the school year and back to work for you is tomorrow. Classes resumed here too this week, but it seems your vacation has sure flown by. This whole summer has flown by!

Tiki - your tolerance and love for kids is admirable, my dear. It's people like you that make up for people like me. I must admit I'm beginning to enjoy my grand neices, but don't tell them - it would wreck my reputation.

Hey to Everyone!

I better get busy around here. Basement's cleaned up and today is LBWO, which I need desperately. I'm hoping to surprise myself with how much weight I *can* handle again, but won't be disappointted. It's the WO that matters!

Have a great Tuesday all!

dip
Old 08-17-2004, 10:47 AM   #11  

S/C/G: 202/144/Lean/Fit

Height: 5'2

Hi Dipster!!!!

Great to see you on the boards and on track! Grilled eggplant - never had it, but it sounds interesting. What does it taste like? (don't say chicken )

Yep, Ilene, my Queen its back to school for you. This summer has indeed flown by. My crew doesn't start back to school until Sep 8, so they have a little more time. What is so disheartening is the cooling trend we are facing right now. Some of my leaves have actually started changing colors! AAAAHHHHHHH!!

I have a small victory to report. Instead of tossing eggs and cottage cheese cause I bought them and didn't eat them and they spoiled, today I tossed out an empty egg carton and cottage cheese container cause I ate them both up!

Tiki
Old 08-17-2004, 12:31 PM   #12  

Smile Happy Tuesday!!!

You guys are all so awesome
I sit and read posts and over and over think "me too..!"

Happy Anniversary Robin! woo hoo!! What an entertaining and factual post I so totally agree with you on every point. I, too, feel so much better when I keep throwing small logs on the fire all day. People don't beleive me when I say I don't LIKE feeling stuffed or tired afterwords. I still goof up sometimes and get myself in that position, but it is not something I ever yearn for..

Jack you are an excellent testimony to what feeding your temple the right things can do for you. Make you feel incredible
and that is surely your body's way of saying THANK YOU!!
BTW You can come over and cook for me anytime. YUMMY! I sho luvs me sum Salmon and it luvs me back

Tiki My little girl is 5 and already HIGH maintainence. Good Grief ........I can see where this is heading...
Congrats on the clean eats

Lanaii and Liza Your right, one lil' peice of cake is an accomplishment for me. It is all in the mind, isn't it? The whole thing does taste the same, I''m sure

Dip, Mrs. Jim, Silver all other LWL's and lurkers... Hi there

This morning
Green Tea w/ splenda
Oats w/ protein powder
Mulit Vitamins
glutamine

I missed Legs and never got to make them up last week ( I HATE when I miss legs!!!), so I will have to train the holy poop out of them this Thursday to make up for it. Can't afford to miss legs...
Tonight is Armies. I'll let you know how that goes.
XOXO
L2L
Old 08-17-2004, 03:38 PM   #13  
Lovin' Zumba!

Hey there guys and gals - I'm here and doing well - still back to basics and it seems to be agreeing with me. Eating tons of cottage cheese plus "blank" - tomatoes, yogurt, berries, pineapple, chips/salsa, oatmeal/eggs - you name it, I'm mixing it.

Food has been really good for the past 3-4 days, and workouts pretty good as well. I just love when it's easy for me to stay on track!

Hope everyone is doing well as well. Great post Robin - and so true. My anniversary's coming up as well - now you've got me curious as to when... I'll have to look into it. Labor Day weekend maybe?
Cindy
Old 08-17-2004, 05:54 PM   #14  

Airegrrl, your post really struck a chord for me. I just pasted my 1 year anniversary for my weight loss journey and pretty much went through a similar comparison of last year to this year. I could relate so much to so many of your breakthroughs but probably the biggest was eating 6 times a day and hating the feeling of being to full. Thanks for sharing.

Jack, that does it, I’m going to get some pots and try to grow me some tomato plants next year. I have not had a home grown tomato in sooo many years and how I do miss them. I know some people do very well growing gardens out here but I just don’t have a green thumb when it comes to this dry dry climate, but you’ve made me want to try and I haven’t felt that way for about 20 years. Then again I’m sure some of you haven’t ever had a fresh orange picked off your own tree. Of course I only get oranges if I can keep the tree from choking out the drip irrigation system with its roots, I always notice that has happened AFTER all the leaves have shriveled and the oranges fallen off.

Thx for the encouragement Meg, I hope I’m getting the right form; I certainly try to watch myself. I really enjoy focusing on the muscle I’m working, before I started weight training I use to really enjoy isometrics and I'm hoping that focusing on isolating the muscle during my workout will help me make sure I'm getting it right.

Yesterday’s UPWO was great. I feel every muscle today and it just keeps reminding me what a good girl I was after I got home. I’m not in pain, I can just feel where I worked them out good, and I love that feeling. The only place I don’t feel the muscle today is my back. Next time I will take a look at that and see if I need to up the weight or focus on isolating the muscles more. I know I need to squeeze my should blades together but it is a hard muscle for me to focus on for some reason and I suspect I didn't quiet get it last night since I'm not feeling it today.

TTFN,
Old 08-17-2004, 08:29 PM   #15  
Mel

Fantastic post Robin! I can't remember when I first started posting on this forum, but I'm coming up on 3 years at 3FC and have had so many of the "ah ha" experiences you did. I'm looking forward to November when I can say that I've maintained my goal weight for 3 years Of course, that turned out not to be my goal BODY, but upping the LBM and dropping the fat is taking a bit longer. Not always remembering the "ah ha" moments could be the culprit.

I'm so jealous of you vegie gardeners! I had huge, very productive gardens for years. Our current home backs on a wooded ravine which is home to a large herd to whit-tailed deer. When we first moved here, I thought Bambi and company were sooooo cute! Little did I realized how effective they would be at defoliating every tasty or pretty plant I stuck in the ground. Nothing deters them- chemical sprays, netting, urine (cheerfully donated by my then 9 yr old son), coyote urine, soap. human hair, a barking dog...I've tried them all. The only things they won't eat seem to be black eyed susans and purple cone flower. I won't eat them either So no vegies (or daylilies, lilies or hostas) grow here anymore

Food was good today, got my cardio done early, and shredded my shoulders and calves.

Did anyone else admire the arms on the men's gymnastic team last night?

Hello to all,
Mel
Closed Thread