Weight and Resistance Training Boost weight loss, and look great!

Old 06-21-2004, 05:22 PM   #1  

Default question about squats

hello,

i would like some advice about my leg routine. i'm just starting to get into the groove of my weight lifting routine and using the right weights but 1 hour is plenty of time for me right now.
i'm doing barbell squats (love them!) and another squating exercise that works all my stabilizers. from what i've read the squats should work my whole legs and butt but i mostly feel it in my quads. i don't feel much in my butt or hamstrings. i do kick-ups for my butt too because we all want a tight butt right? should i be adding hamstring curls or something equivalent to my work out or are the squats enough for now? i don't want to have an unbalanced workout either.

thanks for the help
gen
gatsby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2004, 08:24 PM   #2  
Biker Chick!

S/C/G: 169/152/145

Height: 5' 5"

gatsby, when I do squats, I keep in my mind the advice from one of Cathy Voight's videos. She says to concentrate on pushing up from your heels, to feel it in your butt. It works for me that way. Good luck!
VermontMom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2004, 09:24 PM   #3  

You might want to check out the info on this page: http://www.stumptuous.com/learnsquat3.html

All hail Mistress Krista!
funniegrrl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2004, 09:52 PM   #4  

Smile

hi,

i've read her whole web-site and really check my form, i'm almost sure i'm doing them right. i do them in front of a mirror and am constantly going through a checklist in my mind to make sure i'm doing them right. and am pushing pushing with my heels. maybe my quads are my weak link right now so i feel it more there?

thanks
gen
Old 06-22-2004, 10:58 AM   #5  
Mel

Yes, add hamstring curls or flat back deadlifts to work your hamstrings. Standing ham curls hit the butt area more than the lying ones, if you have access to both peices of equipment.

Squats are a whole lower body exercise, but even if you are pushing through your heels, as Vermont Mom suggested (and that is the proper form), you are still mostly targeting your quads.

The alternative is going to a powerlifter squat rather than a body builder squat, which is really different and shouldn't be attempted without being taught the proper form IN PERSON by a qualified lifter. Most lifters, unless they compete in powerlifting, have no idea how to do this safely. That includes most trainers. The difference is in the knee position, bar placement, and going butt to the floor instead of to parallel or slightly below.

Mel
Mel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2004, 11:05 AM   #6  
Meg

Having done tons of squats myself yesterday, I have to second Mel that they target QUADS! Ow ow ow! (but I love it )

In my experience, the best exercise for the butt is lunges. There are a lot of different kinds of lunges, but I feel them all right in the butt. Right now my favorite is to grab a pair of dumbbells and lunge around the indoor track at my gym. Let me tell you, it's cardio as well as leg exercise!
Meg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2004, 11:42 AM   #7  
Becomming a Monster

S/C/G: 329/253/210

Height: 6'0

right on meg i'd say lunges are best for the glutes. along with deadlifts which cover your lower back glutes and hammies. could reverse sit ups on elevated stool
slimmingsi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2004, 01:24 PM   #8  

Hi Gatsby (Gen)
Heres my 2 cents...
I agree with Meg that lunges are awesome for glutes! I do a lot of lunging. walking lunges, step lunges, reverse lunges...barbells, dumbells, smith lunges..

I personally have a 'Leg day' (Heavy compound exersises) and a seperate 'ham and glute' day. Although no exersise completely isolates a muscle, I like to spend some time focusing on them. I want to have a nice backyard.. Ya know! I do things like stiff leg deadlifts, lots of lunges, leg curls. We are fortunate enough to have a 'butt blaster' in my gym which I like. I keep a training journal and I try to mix it up and do exersises I haven't done in awhile each time I train that bodypart. One of my favorite exersises for glutes is a deep squat on the smith machine with a severe forward stance. I get under the smith bar (across traps), step forward about 1 1/2 feet (pretty far) so I am leaning against the bar. I squat to the floor then at the top, I pull in and tighten my glutes. I push through the heels. I also (on leg day) do some qaud focus exersises to finish up after I do my barbell squats, leg presses or whatever. For example front squats (barbell sitting in front of neck across shoulders). It behooves you to spend some time with a trainer if only to learn some new exersises and make sure your form is correct, especially when it comes to heavy leg training.
You do want to make sure everything gets trained because the muscles work together and they have to 'help' each other. It also helps with visual symmetry.
Good luck!!
XOXO
L2L
luv2lift is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2004, 10:47 PM   #9  

Default thank you

thank you for all your advice, i will be adding hamstring curls to my routine then. once i get used to this routine and just going to the gym i will switch it up a bit. i saw a lady doing the forward squats on the smith machine and want to try that eventually.
thank you again and if i have any more questions i definitely know where to come

gen