Exercise! - Are You Training for a Marathon?

View Full Version : Are You Training for a Marathon?

scoutruns
07-15-2003, 05:26 PM
I can tell we have some runners hanging around here. How many of you are working up to a marathon?

I've just signed up for my fourth marathon: Rock and Roll Arizona. It's in January, and the training really hasn't actually started yet. And since I've got a base of about 10-12 miles right now, it won't start cranking up for me for a couple months.

So...shall we trade tips? Training ideas? Marathon experiences? Horror stories? Any weight-loss/weight-gain issues while training? Let's talk about them!

Mark&Ivy'smom
07-15-2003, 07:45 PM
Hi, actually I haven't been around for a while, but I'm going to get back on track. Anyway.....I actually just signed up for the same marathon. Except I'll be walking it. I meet with them on 7/31 to go over everything. I really would like to do the one in Hawaii, but I don't think I'll be able to get out there. Maybe I'll see ya in Phoenix. Good Luck.

scoutruns
07-15-2003, 08:21 PM
Jen - does that mean you're doing Team in Training?

Mark&Ivy'smom
07-16-2003, 01:55 AM
Yep!!!

The first initial Team in Training meeting is on the 31st here. But I have been wanting to do something like this for a while. I have done the kidney walks and the walks for Down Syndrome, but I think the most I have gone on one of those was 4 miles. My mother might do it with me, but she will only being doing the 1/2 marathon. But we both will be walking. Anyway I guess that was kind of a long answer to your question.:blah: :lol: I love the new smilies.

It sounds like you'll be running. Thumbs up to you. Will you be doing the whole thing?

LynneD
07-16-2003, 10:50 AM
I'm in...for the thread, at least. :)

I'm in week 3 of a 16-week marathon training plan, with an ultimate goal of the Chicago marathon on October 12. I haven't actually committed yet, though. I'm giving myself two more weeks to decide and then I'll register. (Unless I hear they're filling up in which case I'll throw all caution to the wind and go for it.) :)

Glad to meet everyone!

Lynne

scoutruns
07-16-2003, 09:01 PM
Ooh, the Chicago marathon. That's definitely on my list of must-do marathons. Unfortunately October is such a hectic time at work, that I wouldn't be able to take much time off to travel to it. So unless I win the lottery and quit my job.... :D Someday I'll do it, though.

As for Phoenix, yep, I'll be running the full marathon. On race day it will have been 2 years since I've run one - is that enough time to forget the agony?!? ;)

Mark&Ivy'smom
07-17-2003, 02:03 PM
You guys are amazing. I'm planning on walking it. I can't even imagine running it. Maybe some day.

scoutruns
07-17-2003, 04:59 PM
Hey, Jen - keep this in mind:

If I run the marathon, I will finish in about 4-4 1/2 hours. If you walk it (assuming, say a 15 minute pace) you'll finish in something like 6 1/2 hours. That's a heck of a long time to be out exercising!!!

Just think of those elite folks who run the marathon in sub 3 hours. Pshaw! They don't know what it's like to exercise for that long!!! :p

I think the longer it takes, the stronger you have to be, mentally. So what you lack in speed, you more than make up for in your fortitude. We all cover the same number of miles....

LynneD
07-17-2003, 05:07 PM
Jen,

I agree with Scout. Especially because in my mind, the *entire* race is mental, whether you're walking or running. Every step forward is a fight against inertia ("Okay, you've gone far enough. Just stop now."). So the longer you're out there, the stronger you are!

A marathon is a marathon...and I admire the marathon walkers!!

As much as I love to run and love what it does for my body, very few of my runs are those effortless, "I could go forever" runs. I'm in a constant battle with a brain that gets bored on the treadmill or weary on the uphills. So the few times I *do* have one of those effortless runs? I savor it. :)

Lynne

TobeyToe
07-18-2003, 01:26 PM
I am currently training for the Columbus marathon on October 19th. This will be my second marathon. I am actually hoping to qualify for Boston with this one.

Good luck to you all!

LynneD
07-18-2003, 02:20 PM
Wow, Tobey...Boston! How cool!!

Columbus is the week after Chicago...so hopefully at the same time you're qualifying for Boston, I'll be an official marathon finisher. :)

Lynne

scoutruns
07-18-2003, 03:13 PM
Tobey,

What qualifying time do you need for Boston?

[right now, at my age I'd need to run a 3:40 - not likely when I'm currently a 4:20-4:30 runner! Someday....]

TobeyToe
07-18-2003, 04:36 PM
Lynne: I have no doubt that you will be a marathoner. Are you following a specific training program?

scoutruns: I also need a 3:40. What other marathons have you done?

scoutruns
07-18-2003, 10:04 PM
Lesseee....

I've done the San Diego marathon twice, and the Rock & Roll marathon in San Diego once.

Just local races so far, so this is the first road trip for a race. I swore I'd never be that crazy. ;)

LynneD
07-22-2003, 06:05 PM
Hi Tobey!

I'm following a beginner's plan that I found on runnersworld.com. It was perfectly suited to where I stood in my running and I picked it up just time to follow it the entire program to get ready for Chicago.

I registered yesterday and even stuck my neck out and purchased a Champion Chip. I mean, hey! This has gotta be a forever thing if I'm going to keep my weight off forever, right?

alsbttrfly
07-23-2003, 04:21 PM
Hey Lynne,
I'm following the same program as you are. I found it in a book, too. The one at runnersworld.com does one more repeat than the one in the book does. The book has me running/walking for a total of 30 mins. Any hoo, what week are you on?

LynneD
07-23-2003, 04:27 PM
Hi Lori!

I'm on week 5 of the 16-week program found at http://www.runnersworld.com/home/0,1300,1-51-56-633,FF.html

(So that means I did 3 easy miles today. :)

Which marathon are you training for?

GREAT job on the weight loss!!!

Lynne

LynneD
07-24-2003, 05:11 PM
Do you run with music? If so, what do you listen to? What songs would be on your ultimate running mix?

I'm trying to build one right now, and my hubby keeps (patiently) burning new mix CDs from our CD collection. I sit at work, have a brainstorm that something would be PERFECT to run to, then find out it's not. :)

I'm also trying to time songs to figure out what pace their beat puts me at (I figured it would be a great way to keep myself on pace).

So far, the songs I do like don't all have the same pace, so the pace thing isn't working out...but for right now, I'm thinking:

Runnin' down a dream, Tom Petty and the Heartbreakers
Fighter, Christina Aguilera
I know I can, Nas
Working Man, Rush

What do you run to?

Lynne

scoutruns
07-24-2003, 07:42 PM
I've only run with music a few times.

I have an mp3 player that my SO and I share. I find that the earpieces aren't comfortable in my ears for a long run. So that far outweighs the fun of running with song.

I like it in races when I run by bands or radios - it helps perk me up, but otherwise no music for me. My short runs are short enough that I can "solve the world's (or my own) problems" in my head, and then long runs are done with groups, so we usually talk.

If I could get someone to run alongside me with a collection of my favorite upbeat tunes, well, then, I'd be happy to sit down and compose a list... :D

alsbttrfly
07-28-2003, 05:25 PM
Hi Lynne,
I'm on week 3, just started it today actually. I'm not training for a marathon, just to become a better runner. Or maybe a runner, period. I don't listen to music when I run, usually. Most of the time I watch movies. It keeps my focus diverted so I'm not constantly looking at the timer. One day I would like to do a triathlon, like the danskin one, but I have a ways to go!! Good luck to you!

alsbttrfly
07-28-2003, 05:26 PM
While watching the lastest 007 movie, I realized that Madonna's Die Another Die was pretty good to run to!!!

scoutruns
07-29-2003, 09:21 PM
I had to chuckle, Lori, because I did a double take when you said you watch movies while you run.

Obviously you're on a treadmill.

Or else you have some really cool cyberhelmet that broadcasts movies in front of your face. :p

alsbttrfly
07-30-2003, 06:38 AM
scoutruns,
lol, i wish i had something that advanced!!! But then I would probably get hit by a car or something!! I bought a treadmill to get back into shape. I have a 23 month old and a 6 month old and I live in a very hilly neighborhood in Germany. I would discouraged pretty quickly by those hills if I tried to run them, especially while pushing about 50 lbs worth of children. :faint:
What kind of races have you run?

alsbttrfly
07-30-2003, 06:45 AM
Lynne,
I just realized that you and I are doing different running programs. I'm doing the beginner program http://www.runnersworld.com/home/0,1300,4-112-0-678-2-2,00.html and you're doing the marathon beginner's program.
I was wondering why you ran 3 easy miles.:lol: 3 miles wouldn't feel so easy to me!! What marathon are you training for?

LynneD
07-30-2003, 08:34 AM
Hi Lori!

I'm training for the Chicago Marathon on October 12. :)

Do you have a race goal in mind yet? When my husband and I first started running, we used the Runner's World beginner's plan, too, and then made a goal of a Race for the Cure 5K and followed their 5K plan. :)

Lynne

scoutruns
07-30-2003, 04:22 PM
I started out with 5Ks too.

I remember the first 10K that I did, because we showed up intending to run a 5K. It turns out that the 3 miler was a nature walk with someone pointing out flora and fauna. So we decided to do the 10K. Very, very slowly. :D

Then for some reason I decided a half marathon would be a kick. The first one I ran was horrible. I'd run 10 miles once, and 8-9 once or twice. So I was certainly not prepared for 13.1. And yet, somehow, I managed to get beyond that and try again.

Probably the coolest race I've ever done was Hood to Coast. That's a 12 person relay race in Oregon. Each person runs 3 legs of the race, for a total of about 12-15 miles. It runs continuously, which means that your runs could be at all hours of the day. My first leg was at 3-4 in the afternoon, the second was at 4 in the morning (BEST. RUN. EVER!) and the last was at 1 the next afternoon. As they say in the race "the third leg is always the hardest". And they ain't joking.

LynneD
08-11-2003, 05:07 PM
Today I started week 7 of my 15-week marathon training plan. I've decided to keep a journal about my training (and other stuff going on in my life, as needed).

I can't guarantee it will be witty or pithy or wise, but I promise to try to minimize the number of typos I make. And I promise to try to update it at least once daily, even if it's only to say I ran (or I didn't). :)

If you're interested, visit it http://lynned.pitas.com/

If you like it, share it with others!

Lynne

scoutruns
08-12-2003, 12:57 PM
I just skimmed through the past couple of weeks you've got there. Looks kind of entertaining!

I know what you mean about the Timex Body Link. I've got the GPS unit, which I've had since it first came out. Now that they've got the HRM, they've added some new features to the watch.

Now, I've never used a HRM, and really don't intend to start, so I don't care about that, but the watch! One running pal got the new one and has mentioned some new display options that my watch doesn't have.

Wah!!!

And they say running is an inexpensive sport. :rolleyes:

LynneD
08-14-2003, 03:41 PM
I wonder if a Polar HRM chest strap would work with the Timex GPS watch set up...so I could just buy that one instead of having to buy the one that does all there? (Because it would be very cool to have all three functions -- time, distance, and HRM -- all on one watch but I just bristle at the price!)

Good running shoes, orthotics, good socks, workout wear in technical fabrics -- I'm with you. Running is *not* a cheap sport! But I guess it's less than triathlon or adventure racing. :)

Lynne

torty
08-20-2003, 05:44 PM
Hi all!

I'm a "marathon walker" not a runner- though I did run some of the miles on my last one to make sure I was hitting my timing marks - the worst thing about walking is that in large cities they have to take the course down pretty quickly, and you don't want to be left with no course at mile 20 after all that effort!!! I am currently registered for the Long beach (California) Marathon on October 12. I've done it twice before. My 12 year old son wants to do it with me, but we are still discussing the mental commitment. Only 7-1/2 weeks to go, how are all you other October marathoners feeling about your prep? Are any of you on the vaseline bandwagon for blister/rubbing prevention? Also interested in hydration tips. By the time a walker gets to the water stands they are about gone, and you don't want to carry too much extra baggage. Really hoping that t he heat we are having now will not continue into October- the race is along the waterfront but the heat on asphalt adds such a handicap! Would loveto hear from other marathon walkers, plus any of you runners (some day...)

LynneD
08-20-2003, 06:00 PM
Hi Torty!

This week begins a three-week "hard" push on my training schedule, culminating in my 20-mile run. I'm definitely starting to finally "feel" it and I actually cut back on my AM intervals and weightlifting this morning because I was a bit tired and sore.

So far, I've been very lucky and I've yet to encounter a blister. Today's my first day running with a bug bite on my ankle bone, though, that I'm sure my shoes are going to hit. I've greased it up with triple antibiotic and put a bandaid on it...we'll see how it goes. :)

Hydration: I resorted to buying a lumbar-pack type hydration system and used it for the first time this weekend on an 8 miler. So far, I like it. I didn't notice the extra weight much at all, but then, just a few short months ago I was running with a LOT of extra weight on my body (but it was all me!).

This bag set up is such that I can carry my liquids, power gel, CDs and clip on my CD player. Also, for my October 12 marathon (Chicago), I think I'll be able to fit a lightweight polar fleece or long-sleeve top in it if it's cold first thing in the morning but warm later in the day.

Keep us up to date on your progress and feel free to email me if you'd like to talk more about training!

Good luck,

Lynne
lynned.pitas.com
lynnedurham AT yahoo DOT you know what

torty
08-20-2003, 08:58 PM
Thanks Lynne,
So one of those "camel packs" for water etc?? I will check some out this weekend at the local sporting goods stores. I think walkers may blister even more as we have more road time (6+ hrs) Good luck with your bug bite- that is a crummy spot cuz not much flesh. Are you feeling good mentally? I am also considering cutting back on weight training which I actually only do with a trainer 2x week. Just think maybe need total focus on the close at hand issue. Thanks for your input!!

LynneD
08-20-2003, 09:23 PM
Hi Torty!

It is one of those camel back type things, but it's not that brand. I got it pretty cheaply at Target. It doesn't leak, the bite tube works like a dream...so far, so good.

I'm hanging in there mentally right now. How about you? Every once in awhile when I think that I have a 20 miler in just 2 1/2 weeks, it kind of freaks me out. And I'm *always* very nervous before one of my long runs and I have NO idea why! So far I haven't had any problems with them and yet I get very nervous before hand.

On the mental thing, I just keep telling myself I cannot fail with a plan. I have a step-by-step training plan. Each day, I do exactly what the The Plan tells me to do. So come race day, I'm there! I'll be ready!

Will your marathon even allow your 12-year-old to do it? I noticed that for Chicago, you must be 16 even if you have parental permission. But what an accomplishment if he does! I remember when I was about 13, the March of Dimes Walk-A-Thons back then were 20 milers...not short little 8 milers like they are now. I didn't do any training for it, but I did the darn thing all the way to the end. (Paid for it dearly for a week afterward with sore muscles, though!)

Never underestimate the determination of a pre-teen. :)

Lynne

torty
08-21-2003, 09:59 PM
Oh my Lynne!!! I did the same thing at 13- a Los Angeles Free Clinic fund raiser of 25 miles - no training plus I was anorexic so of course did not eat any of the snacks or drink anything but water- but with that teen resolve I did the thing & sported some lovely blisters.

You are great with the plan and I do believe they work> Unfortunately I fell off-plan and so I am scrambling in the last weeks. Goals are 13 mile on Aug 13, 20 miles Aug 20 (just worked out that way) and stair climb on Oct 4 at Library Tower in LA- approx 70+ stories. So basically a challenge per weekend preceeding and then back off last week. I checked with the organizers early on and they do allow a 12 year old to enter so I am good on that - just need to make sure he is mentally ready since to get part way and not finish would be awful.

You sound up-beat on the mental side. I too get the pre-day frights and even when I feel good my tummy is screaming. I am more worried cuz I have NOT prepped correctly but I hve to go for my overall where I am at thing. Will check my fave "Target" this weekend for the water pack. Great to get your input. HEY LURKERS!!!!! How are you all doing?????????????/