South Beach Diet Fat Chicks on the Beach!

Old 02-20-2013, 01:43 PM   #1  
Losing to live longer.

S/C/G: 278/ticker/125

Height: 5'5"

Default Lupus Chick on the Beach :) and a question.

Hey all, as you might know by my name, I have Lupus. If you want to learn more about this autoimmune disease please search for my posts, I am sure there is some info there, or google it .

My point is another, I have gone through Phase 1! And my hubby and I made it! He lost 15lbs! I lost 5 lbs, but keep in mind I did no exercise due to being extremely exhausted due to the aforementioned lupus.

I am on Phase 2 right now and figuring out how to do fruits, I seem to be really really full in the morning with the one serving of grains, and then I get to the midmorning snack and I am even more full. I tried to do a medium orange with 1/2 cup greek yogurt, that made my cravings kinda come back. I think I will stay away from the orange, at least this first week. How did any of you stop your cravings? Should I have it with cheese instead?

When I get to lunch, I usually have a light lunch or a lean burger (we were eating too many burgers to we stopped) for lunch but I am always hungry within 30 min to an hour.

My question is, how many beans can you have on phase 2? I did not really eat that many beans on Phase 1, I just didn't think of it, but I always tried to do my good fats and nuts and such. 1/2 cup serving I think the latest book said, is this the limit? I see people having beans with every meal after breakfast sometimes, which is right? Dr. A is quite vague about this.

Thanks!
Lupus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2013, 02:39 PM   #2  

S/C/G: maintaining

I have an auto-immune disease too, Pemphigus Vulgaris, just diagnosed in November. It's fairly rare.

I find that I do best if I don't eat fruit until after dinner. For cravings, I just try to figure out which foods cause them and either avoid them or have them late in the day. Cereal is another one for me. I never eat it for breakfast anymore but will sometimes have steel cut oats for dinner.

I don't know the answer to your bean question. How about adding lots of veggies at lunch.
WaistingTime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2013, 02:41 PM   #3  
Come on Spring!

S/C/G: 232/170/150

Height: 5'0" on a tall day

As long as your digestive system can handle it, you certainly may have more than one serving of beans.
Most folks transitioning into Phase II, do just one new thing at a time - grains or fruit. Try just the grains for breakfast for a week and then try adding fruit. Berries might be a better choice than an orange if you have them available.
Are you remembering dairy with your lunch and a salad or is it just the lean burger?
Ruthxxx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2013, 04:00 PM   #4  
Losing to live longer.

Oh no, I love dairy, I have the limit as much as I can .

I am following the meal plan for the newest book as much as I can. For example I just had berries with greek plain yogurt.
I feel much better after doing that, as long as it's at least half a cup.
I will see how I feel though, I am doing steel cut irish oats for breakfast for the past two days, on Monday I did a piece of toast. Both are fine for me, it was just the orange that really did not help.

I will keep the super slow transitioning in mind though, like I said on Monday I did a piece of toast and berries, again today I did berries but with steel cut oats. Both I tried to have a piece of protein with, today I had eggs and a piece of turkey bacon and 1/3 cup of greek yogurt. I felt pretty full but very good.
I think I might have to decrease the serving to 1/8 cup of oats perhaps, and eat a bit more eggs if I am hungrier, that is allowed right?

WaistingTime, I always eat veggies as much as I can, I love the really green ones I discovered and I have never heard of that disease! And I know my autoimmunes, I hope it's not too hard on you :/.

Thank you for answering my questions though, this has been really helpful, I will see how I feel today and decrease or keep the amount of berries since it seems to be what my body wants.
Old 02-20-2013, 07:52 PM   #5  
Super Duper Senior Member

S/C/G: 289/T/190

Height: 5' 7.5"

are you just eating a burger for lunch or are you having veggies with it? Can you wait another hour for lunch or are you time limited?

I find that any fruit before noon and I am craving sweets all day. Do a search for Ph 1.5 here on the boards. It's all individualized so it's really all trial and error. Berries and apples tend to be a bit better for me than oranges.

Good luck and great job!
jenne1017 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2013, 11:29 PM   #6  

S/C/G: 244/244/140

Height: 5'6.5"

Lupus, congrats on completing Phase 1!! So cool that you and your husband did it together!

Asking the senior members on this thread -- to confirm, do chick peas count as beans on SB? I thought chick peas were limited to 1/2 cup per day?
EliseVi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2013, 07:31 AM   #7  
Working on healthy

Height: 5'5.5

Chick peas are beans. The 1/2 cup limit on beans is more about potential digestive distress than anything else. When I started SBD I was vegetarian and ate 1-2c of beans many days without problems. They are also calorie dense so worth looking at quantities if you hit a stall.

Lupus and congratulations on a successful Phase 1.
CyndiM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2013, 05:10 PM   #8  
Losing to live longer.

I do eat veggies with my burger, when I do have it. In fact when I was on Phase 1 I used to do eat a tomato during breakfast too.
I have noticed that I tend to like to wait till noon or after to eat lunch and my snack, and I only do berries and really high in protein greek yogurt (there is a brand here that is 20g of protein for a cup) and that really does it for me. I don't always like to eat beans, and when I do I usually have them for lunch with a piece of chicken and veggies as well as some milk.
I am once again going to have tuna salad for lunch with celery and tomatoes and onions (my personal favorite). I actually decreased the amount of oats today and I did not feel as overwhelmingly full but I am fairly aware that I need to have some more grain if I want, perhaps half a piece of bread would be ok? I will search for Phase 1.5, thanks all for your support!
Old 02-23-2013, 08:21 PM   #9  

S/C/G: 203/203/170

Hi Lupus,

Just popping in to say hello. I'm also autoimmune (celiac) and am doing this diet as much for overall health reasons as for losing weight. Just finishing Phase 1 too and love it!
gatita is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2013, 11:21 PM   #10  
Losing to live longer.

Quote:
Originally Posted by gatita View Post
Hi Lupus,

Just popping in to say hello. I'm also autoimmune (celiac) and am doing this diet as much for overall health reasons as for losing weight. Just finishing Phase 1 too and love it!
Congrats! I didn't lose anything today, might have gained a lb, honestly I don't know, our scale is pretty bad seeing as how we got it at a thrift store, lol.

I know several people with celiac disease, and they feel really good on this diet.
Today I had a lot of energy, so I don't know if it was the diet or just....sometimes the lupus lets up .
Old 02-25-2013, 04:31 PM   #11  
Losing to live longer.

Ok, just for anyone else's information, I did not lose anything this week.

So if you are following the new book, the supercharged one, I think he might be a little too fast on the carbs. I think this is because you are supposed to be following a dedicated workout routine. I only walk 5-6 min a day because of my lupus it's all I can handle :/ so if anyone else has an autoimmune, sometimes I do go out and walk around the store even if really tired later (I usually sleep a lot the next day) or two days ago I cleaned my office with the help of my husband, which basically threw off my sleep schedule.
I believe it is more important to sleep and feel ok than killing yourself with exercise if you have lupus or any related disease. I have been having more energy and I just do more things around the house (I want to point out it is NOT crazy amounts, just a little bit more than I used to have) instead and I keep walking because it keeps me happy with at least a little bit of endorphins.

My plan is to take away the fruit, keep perhaps a sugar and fat free pudding for dessert, not all the time. And just do a regular serving of oats or bread in the morning and that's it. We will see how I do, thank you all who have replied and been so helpful!
Old 02-27-2013, 10:51 AM   #12  
Super Duper Senior Member

S/C/G: 289/T/190

Height: 5' 7.5"

Have you done a search for Phase 1.5 here on the boards? Very helpful!
jenne1017 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2013, 02:53 PM   #13  
Losing to live longer.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jenne1017 View Post
Have you done a search for Phase 1.5 here on the boards? Very helpful!
I have, it says it cannot find it :[

Update: I had to put quotes around the search term and had to go advanced! I actually found this much more helpful:
http://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/sbd-...phase-2-a.html

Where it tells you how to do it slowly.

I have found that bread and steel cut oats (irish quick cooking oats, not really quick, five min or more in the microwave) are fine for me in the morning, as long as I have eggs, high protein yogurt, AND milk in the morning.

This whole week I have been doing my grain at breakfast, I find that if I don't have a protein packed lunch I get hungry but not craving.

I think I will try fruit next week, but maybe with a meal, like dessert. See how it goes, perhaps try the orange to see if the meat protein and veggies make a difference.

Last edited by Lupus; 03-01-2013 at 03:45 PM. Reason: Found it!
Old 03-04-2013, 02:34 PM   #14  

S/C/G: 203/203/170

Thanks for posting that link, Lupus... I've been having a hard time finding threads about 1.5 too.

My doc is putting me back on Phase 1 for a couple more weeks because I did well on it and he wants to make sure I stay in remission from SIBO, which I also have.

I don't think I handled Phase 2 very well anyway (too many starchy carbs instead of fruit) so I am going to plan more before I do it next time. I seem to do better with fruit as opposed to grains or potatoes.

I also can't exercise a whole lot right now....

Please keep us posted on how it goes for you with the fruit. I think the bread in the a.m. is a good idea, I was eating grains at dinner and quickly gained back a few pounds.

Last edited by gatita; 03-04-2013 at 02:34 PM.
gatita is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2013, 08:28 PM   #15  
Losing to live longer.

Ok! So, I haven't lost anything yet but I don't think I have gained, if I gained it was just a pound and I weighed myself once I ate at the doctor's.

I do wonderfully with bread in the morning, it doesn't make me hungry until later though so I have to keep an alarm on my phone to make sure I have my snack. I have been trying this new method, I figured if I can't add more fiber because the fruit serving is limited, then fat would help. I started eating my snack of fruit after breakfast, about an hour and a half or tops two hours after it, with a half portion of walnuts. So I have 7.5 walnuts with half a cup of fat free greek yogurt, some splenda for taste, and usually I also have half a cup of milk with coffee, but most of the time I have green tea.

I sometimes don't WANT fruit (this is how I know it is not a craving) for a snack and just have yellow tomatoes with two low fat cheesesticks along with my coffee with milk and then have my fruit later after I eat lunch as dessert.

This is working out really well as far as cravings go, when I don't eat lunch when I should it makes me hungry but sometimes that happens to all of us, we have things to do.
Next week I am supposed to be adding something else, I am thinking I will be doing popcorn with tomatoes on the side and maybe my latte, just to see how it goes. I might add another grain but only with lunch.

I have to say I have reduced the amount I eat at dinner, because it really screws with me and doesn't let me sleep at night if I have say a burger, no matter how small, for dinner. I eat my heaviest meal at lunch, I still have my "peanut butter cup" (no sugar added fudgesicle with a tablespoon of peanut butter my husband makes from raw peanuts himself) as dessert, but I mostly have a really really light dinner with half a can of tuna and tomatoes, onions, and celery chopped right into there (I use low fat mayo).

I want to up my veggie intake at dinner, although I am already doing a lot of veggies with the celery and the tomato, I still like sweet mini bell peppers and I usually have them with a little bit of low fat cream cheese.

Cravings have been conquered, the only time I had more where when I ate an orange, I take it I better eat that after a meal and not just as a snack. A peach was fine as long as I had it with walnuts. Berries are always fine for me now.

I discovered oatmeal in the morning doesn't agree with me, I am not greatly fond of it but when I have it, I will make sure I have it in between bites of eggs (I really like eating buffet style!) or just have it last after everything else in the morning.

My meat cravings have dimished, I don't want to eat tuna all the time for dinner so at times I might have a smaller serving of what I had for lunch.

I just got diagnosed with fibromyalgia. It sucks, but at least it's not my lupus flaring and it's not my organs paying for it. Basically, exercise for weight loss is pretty much impossible now *sigh*, I have been doing yoga and such and want to meditate to just have some time for myself. I will post links below. I have a long way to go, one thing that I think is REALLY important chicks: my rheumy told me that you don't get to lose weight really fast anyway, specially if you have PCOS and now fibro and can't move because of pain. She said you would see a loss until several months passed, it hasn't been very long for me, barely a month and two weeks or so.

So do not despair! I wish we had an autoimmune disease spot on here so I could link these things to people like me, gatita, thanks for keeping in touch .

Here are some meditation podcasts:
http://marc.ucla.edu/body.cfm?id=22

And if you go to http://www.calm.com/ and click on 2 or 10 min meditation it really is nice to just take 2 min a day to do something for yourself, 2 min! 10 min is doable but you are more likely to do 2, I know I would.

Speaking of which I am going to try the 10 min! Wish me luck!

Last edited by Lupus; 03-09-2013 at 08:37 PM. Reason: time was off on meditation.