Weight and Resistance Training Boost weight loss, and look great!

Closed Thread

Old 05-12-2003, 10:07 AM   #1  

S/C/G: 202/144/Lean/Fit

Height: 5'2

Default LWL #102 Week of May 12 - 18

Okay, I'll kick this off for the week. This morning, I was so upset with my crew. I ended up spanking them which I really hate to do, especially in the mornings before they go off to school and I go off to work. Due to their tomfoolery, none of us got to eat breakfast. I was telling myself mentally that I would stop and get them some juice and a muffin on the way to school and that I would get myself a pack of poptarts once I got into the office. Then it dawned on me that I was actually PLANNING to eat one of the foods that I will NOT allow in my house because I have no control around them. I have fruit, yogurt, and veggies at work so there was actually no need to buy poptarts. I started thinking about why i was wanting poptarts and it was because i was upset with my crew and upset with myself and I wanted comforting. I bought the kids muffins and juice and then gave them all the rest of the money i had so I could NOT buy the poptarts. I also struck up a silly conversation with them so when they got out of the car and headed into school, they were smiling and not looking upset. That was more comforting than the poptarts would have been. WHEW! escaped that one!
Old 05-12-2003, 01:37 PM   #2  
Uber-Moderator!!

Hey Tiki - thanks for starting the new thread this week

I got so wrapped up in Meg's Maintenance thread that I forgot to post here...

We are finally getting some GREAT weather around the Bay Area. Temps in the 70's, yay! After all that grey and rain, it is a welcome change

Last week, nutrition and exercise-wise, was awesome for me I took yesterday as a free day...I would generally go and do some moderate cardio anyways but I was SO WIPED OUT from the week before, fuggetaboutit. Jim and I (along with the kitties) just snoozed until around 8:30 am (well I did wake up and put food in the dish for Sparky around 5 or so) and I was STILL tired yesterday. But, since it was such a gorgeous day...we got a bag of carrots and apples and went off to Woodside to visit the horses. We visited all of Dee's horses and then took Freight and Butch (the two lesson horses) out of their paddock to let them graze on a loose line while we groomed them. They really loved that - they have a very roomy paddock but it's just dirt - no grass. The pastures at the stables are very lush right now, due to the rainy season we just had, so it was a real treat for them. The day before, I had a lesson but it wasn't the best one I've ever had - Dee thought I needed to ride someone besides Freight, so she put me on Butch, who has a VERY jolting and bouncy gait. Sitting the trot is just near impossible with him. Plus he has a tendency to hug the rail...and I hadn't ridden him in almost a year...while I was two-pointing the trot, he got WAY to close to the rail and WHAM, the top of my foot slammed into the rail post. OW my three small toes on my right foot are very bruised right now. But no bones broken - it's just one of those things that happen in riding sometimes. Next week I get to ride Norman FINALLY for the first time. If all goes well, I am going to lease him for the summer and ride as much as possible! YAY!

Whew! Back to work...let's hear from the rest of y'all!
Old 05-12-2003, 03:06 PM   #3  

S/C/G: 163/163/149

Height: 5'7"

Hi All -

Lots of rain here in Toronto...had my 10k yesterday and while it was definitely raining when we started the race, it was absolutely pouring down rain by about kilometre 3. Hilarious. I felt sorry for the poor volunteers and cops on every corner - at least we were warm. Finished in 58 minutes and change, so I'm happy with that. I'm going to register for another 10k in June and hopefully get under 55 minutes.

Eating wasn't the best this weekend - way too many meals out. Oh well...now that Mother's Day and the run are behind me I feel like I can concentrate on the weights and eating much more.

Can't believe I'm starting Week 3 of Challenge 2 already...

How is everyone else doing?

BethO
Old 05-12-2003, 04:02 PM   #4  
Mel

Default New Week

My arms are so rubbery from just finishing my back and bi workout, I hope I can type. Tried a new type of curl- use about a 4 ft. bar and do bicep curls , each arm separately. It's incredibly different fom a dumbell or using a bar with two hands. It recruits so many more arm muscles: not only were my bi's all pumped, but my forearms were screaming, and now ache. I'm dropping weights a tad and upping reps on almost everything, trying to work on a little more endurance as well as muscle. May not work for building mega muscle, but I've got plenty at this point.

BethO- Way to go on the 10K! Where was it held? Too bad about the rain, but it's better than scorching heat .

Tik- Glad everyone parted on a happy note this morning. I hate those days when we all go our separate ways in the morning angry or annoyed. I feel bad all day when that happens. Unfortunately with an almost 13 yr old son, it happens more an more frequently.

Karen- Glad your week was stellar- mine was not. My own fault. Hope your foot heals up quickly, I remember something similar happening a zillion years ago when I rode. Also remember a horse who would routinely try to "scrape off" his riders. Same horse also tried to decapitate me with an unexpected rush into a 1/2 closed (vertical roller type) barn door! I jumped off at full gallop and was bruised, but I think I may have been killed or severely injured had I not bailed. That horse was sold shortly thereafter, hopefully NOT as a lesson animal.

I had a good workout today, but really had to talk myself into going and staying there. I can't remember my last gym break- probably about 4 months ago . I'm sure it's time, but due to eating breakdowns, and it's May and my clothes are tight, I really don't want to take a break now. Think I can make it until sweater weather rolls arounds again?

Hope all the moms had a good Mothers Day. For me it was the end of lacrosse season- bittersweet. OSU was eliminated by Princeton in the NCAA quarterfinals. Now life can calm down a bit without endless trips to games and dd can get back to concentrating on finishing up her classes, but it was sad to see them loose and know the seniors would never be part of that team again. One more year for dd- then it will really be bittersweet.

My arms are falling off, gotta stop.

mel

Last edited by meliris; 05-12-2003 at 04:05 PM.
Old 05-12-2003, 08:13 PM   #5  
Ilene the Bean

Hello girls!!

I had a terrible sleep last night, had a bad workout this morning, and ate too much Friday, Saturday and Sunday.... Arghhhhh.... Today was just an ok day food wise. I’m having a bit of a difficult time staying focused....

Mel Yes, you do need a good gym break!! Even if it’s for a only a long weekend of only 3 or 4 days... I too Mel have tried some of my summer clothes and darn it all, if some blouses aren’t tighter at the shoulders this year than last...But I am more muscular!!....

Tika -- I hear you on the kid front, it’s very difficult sometimes to keep it cool so early in the morning....I’ve seen myself apologize to the kids after school and talk the situation over, usually they had forgotten all about it, although I had stewed about it all day and thinking to myself I must have scared them for life... Last week D and I had a confrontation in the AM before school, and when I talked to her later she said: “Oh Mom get over it!! I did!!” This from a 12 year old!! Ya just gotta laugh Congrats tho on your self talk and not having that Pop Tart!! Way to go!!

Karen -- Did you send that rain here girl??? It rained all bloody weekend, and I was looking forward to doing some biking.... Congrats on your good week, send some :vibes: my way please!!??

BethO I guess you had the same rain we did... Congrats on finishing that race...
Old 05-12-2003, 09:29 PM   #6  

Default Hello...new here :-)

I have a quick question. On beginning BFL: Should I somehow "ease" into it or just go full-tilt into the workouts?? I'm planning on starting tomorrow...

Thanks!
-Katy D.
Old 05-12-2003, 09:41 PM   #7  
Mel

Default Just Do It

Katy- clean out your cupboards of trigger foods, make a plan, then just do it! "Easing" into it just allows you to perpetuate bad habits. Remember, it is a program that you customize for yourself- your portions of food are based on your size, your exertion levels are based on your capabilities now and YOUR perceived level of exertion.
mel
Old 05-12-2003, 10:41 PM   #8  

Good Evening,

I had an extremely stressful day and found myself in the kitchen stuffing Peak Freens into my mouth while drinking a glass of water. Why water...well, anything else would have been unhealthy.

Worst part:bringing the cookies home in the first place and pretending they wouldn't tempt me.

Best part: Realizing why it happened in the first place and finally admitting that I was in big denial over my feelings regarding a troubling family matter. Major shift in finally understanding that playing the the "good girl" doesn't work for me any more, if indeed it ever did. So I drank another glass of water, meditated and then took a walk. The best part is that I threw the rest of the cookies in the trash and poured diswashing liquid on top of them.

One battle won-hundreds more to go.

Sel

Last edited by Trinidad; 05-12-2003 at 10:43 PM.
Old 05-12-2003, 10:51 PM   #9  
Crazy Candian in Aus

Default Week 3!!

Hey everyone!!

Just wanted to stop by and say hi!! Week 3 is moving along as planned. Have had 3 great workouts so far, and just need 3 more!!

Trinidad - Your comment about the dishwashing soap on the cookies in the garbage hit home!! I have never done that... but I sure will when I toss the 'free day' junk away next Saturday night!!! ha ha ha

Have a good day everyone!!

Nola.
Old 05-12-2003, 10:55 PM   #10  

Nola,

I got the dishwashing liquid idea from one of Meg's posts. But it really does stop the binge right in its tracks, since there is no going back.

Sel

Last edited by Trinidad; 05-13-2003 at 08:09 AM.
Old 05-12-2003, 11:51 PM   #11  

Karen, Sorry about your toes. Wll this make your workouts tougher?

Sel, self-talk can do amazing things. Your post reminds me to do it more!

Well...guess what I got for Mother's Day??!! We learned that our adoption is complete -- the children are officially ours. All we have to do now is get our son't passport (for the short ride from Haiti to Fl -- our daughter's is done) and go through INS and come up with the final payments for the facilitator. This has been a 14 month ordeal (plus the 2 years trying to adopt domestically prior to that). We are praying it will all be over by June and our children will be home where they belong!!!

Went up in weights on some exercises today-- can feel it, but love the feeling. I notice so much improvement on my ability to do lunges and squats. Dh was feeling so motivated by my improvement today that he rollerbladed the 2 or so miles around the lake and then biked the same amount. It is weird to be the one motivating!!

Also, hope this isn't too personal...but I have never ever ovulated on my own (I have Polycystic Ovarian Syndrome). Last month I ovulated on my own and this month saw a 30 day cycle (unheard of for me). All this and I am off all meds for PCOS -- just trying to control it through diet and exercise (and some herbs). Obviously, it is working because I have ovulated 2 cycles and my cycle is coming to a normal length. Just wanted to share how many things a healthy diet and exercise can help!

Peace,
Paula
Old 05-13-2003, 06:02 AM   #12  
Meg

Good morning! I sure can sympathize with Mel and the “rubber arms” because I ended up doing 2+ workouts yesterday! I went to the gym intending to do shoulders by myself and ran into Kim, our gym manager. She wanted to do just a general upper-body workout so I said sure and we started, planning to do one exercise per the five upper body parts. We made it through lat pull downs for back when she got called away on business. So I went and did the original planned shoulder workout. Kim comes back and we then do chest, bi’s, tri’s and shoulders again. Well, at this point I’m ready to go home and eat and collapse, when in comes my beloved former trainer, who wants me to do a back workout with him. Not wanting to pass up this opportunity, I say OK. He put me through the best and heaviest back workout ever. We did pull-ups, bent over rows, cable rows, high row machine, and I’m blanking on the rest.

So I come home and am starving and there on the counter is an apple pie with crumb topping that I had made for dinner the night before (DD is home from school for a few days, then she goes back for the summer, and she wanted an apple pie). I go over and peek under the foil — mistake. Ummm …. pie … But I didn’t eat any and inhaled my planned dinner instead. I told myself that I couldn’t cheat on my anniversary! (it really is all self-talk, you know …)

So after the marathon yesterday, it is Legs Lite today. Since I’m doing legs twice a week now, one time is Legs Heavy, which is squats, leg press, dead lifts etc. and once is Legs Lite, which is lunges and all the others. Good thing, since my upper-body is nonfunctional!

Mel -- on the one-arm bicep curls, how heavy is the bar? Is it a 35#? Are you Wonder Woman???

Sel -- happy birthday and WTG on dealing with the cookies! I still kid myself about bringing certain food in the house and thinking it won’t tempt me. I’m so glad you used my trick about the dish detergent. What’s interesting to me is that my urge to eat stops as soon as the food is unavailable, meaning it really is all a psychological craving. And you dug a little deeper and realized what really was going on rather than trying to numb the feelings with food. You can store away this success and draw on it the next time you are tempted to stress-eat.

Congratulations on the race, Beth! I am in awe of anyone who can run in a race and finish!

Nola -- way to go on your great weeks! I enjoy reading about your farm experiences in Canada.

Hurray on the good news, Paula! — about your children and the PCOS. And don’t worry about being too “personal” — we discuss everything here … (what HAVEN”T we discussed …)

Have a great day, all! And I miss hearing from some of you — you know, don’t quit posting if you are struggling — that’s when you need to post — I’ll bet we can help.

Meg
Old 05-13-2003, 07:59 AM   #13  
Mel

Default Tuesday

Hi all-
I think I'm headed for Sams Club today for an enormous vat of dish soap (per Meg and Sel). Food continues to be a major problem, and I don't know how to stop it. So to any of you that I've spouted advice, take it with a grain of salt. Every morning I wake up with a new attitude, which disappears by late afternoon. I need to re-read all of yesterday's posts. It took me too long to get to where I am to throw it away with daily free days.

Sel- belated Happy Birthdays and WTG with the cookies and self talk.

Paula- Congratulations! It sounds like it has been a looong road to motherhood. having dealt with years of infertility problems myself, I empathize with you. I hope the next steps move quickly for you.

Meg- Ha! Superwoman indeed. This week is more like pathetic wimp-woman. The bar I used for the single hand curls is a bent bar intended for putting on weights, but I used it unweighted. I think it is 15 lbs. Since I can curl a 25 lb dumbell, that shows you how different the exercise is! Will you come sit on my shoulder for a while and harangue me into better choices? Please? You must be might sore today or getting there

Gotta go walk the dog- she's pacing at the door with the leash in her mough. I call her my canine treadmill.

mel
Old 05-13-2003, 08:09 AM   #14  

Boy, you guys dont know how comforting it is to know that one is not alone in dealing with food issues! Not that I am glad you still have them but at least its a great source of support and ideas.

Last night DH left a huge packet of Bourbon (oreo type) cookies on the coffee table. I stared at them and the marched into the kitchen and read him the riot act LOL he "helped" by putting them on top of the fridge (no way i can get them without a chair) and eating a few *sigh*.

Im doing much better with food now, but I missed all my cardio last week (lazy) but hopefully it will be a good rest for me, as I was getting sore in my shins etc.

Today is legs and I really want to hit 100% effort on all my areas. Im going to try seated calf raises for the first time (!) as the standing ones are making my left foot hurt pretty bad.

Hope you all have good days!
Tidey
Old 05-13-2003, 09:29 AM   #15  
Meg

Default Food

Hey, we really are all sisters separated at birth! Food is the hardest issue for all of us, it seems. I haven’t seen many people post about how hard it is to go to the gym — most of us love it. The ironic and unfair thing is that nutrition seems to be about 80% of the weight loss equation, at least for me. I can be perfect for 23 and 3/4 hours a day — perfect nutrition, perfect cardio, perfect workout — and then can completely blow it with fifteen minutes of unplanned eating.

Tidey, Mel, me, Ilene, everyone — I wish there was a magic pill or answer or something, but I haven’t discovered it yet. Honestly, I really just talk to myself — I reach into my bag of corny aphorisms and tell myself “you do what you have to do” or “you’ve come too far to take orders from a cookie” (an old WW standby) or “don’t give up what you want the most for what you want at the moment” (another WW-ism) or whatever (gee, I guess my endless years at WW paid off in some way — at least it shows that I was listening!).

When you talk about the late afternoon, Mel, I had some thoughts: are you tired then? Are you hungry? Is this why you are having trouble then? Can you plan ways to deal with those issues or whatever is setting you off? I’m all about plans and strategies and lists and writing things down, though that may not be the way for you. Can you just get out of the kitchen, if not the house? Can you sit at the computer and tell us you’re about to have a melt-down?

Meg
Closed Thread