Closed Thread

Old 04-30-2003, 04:16 PM   #1  

S/C/G: 278/267.2/180

Height: 5'7"

Default In It For the Long Run #16

Come on in! We're a group of friends that are pursuing this long journey of getting the weight off and keeping it off. We come from all over and have started at different points. We're here to help, encourage and support each other in the ups and downs. We have learned that this is a lifelong journey and that we have to hang in there...for the long haul.

Come and join us!
Old 04-30-2003, 04:37 PM   #2  

Hello!

I'm sort of back. Its been a long five days. My MIL is 83 and my FIL was 78. It was a shock but we're grateful that it was with mercy. He hadn't been ill other than having a muscle disease that is probably what a major cause in his death. This was so difficult because I was the second family member there. I had no idea that he was still there - it was almost too much when the police officer opened the door and I could see him on the floor. He wasn't even covered completely. My poor MIL doesn't know what to do. They had been married for 28 years. She was married to DH's father for 30 and was married again in just about a year so she's not been on her own for a very long time. They had just downsized to an apartment just a week ago. We'll probably be moving her to a senior's apartment soon. I've spent several days with her making phone calls and helping her get her financial affairs in order. Her sons want to help but they just are not detail oriented. While this was a step-FIL and DH did not consider him a SF, it has been emotionally wrenching. My MIL is leaning on me for strength and support because she needs a daughter - boys just aren't the same. The church people have looked to me for what to do. This has been different because when it was my dad, I was in my own grief and could shut out everyone else's. Its hard to see her so lost and in pain.

I've been off work today. I'm exhausted and my mind just hurts. I think I will take tomorrow too and continue to catch up on home stuff. I've done all the laundry and spent a long time catching up on bill stuff.

Food has not been good the last few days. Way too much church food. I missed WW WI last Saturday so I'm planning on going while I'm down at my sister's this next weekend. It won't be good but I don't want to get lax again.

Tomorrow will be a better day!
Old 04-30-2003, 06:28 PM   #3  
Find a Way

Terri, just make sure to take some time for yourself, get recharged. You seem to having more than your fair share of grief lately. It's good of you to be so kind to your MIL, you are a wonderful person.

Most of my internet time has been spent researching Bend and getting things ready for the move. I'll just be glad when we get there, then I won't have to worry about this house in Denver, keeping it in show shape! Things will improve quite a bit once DH's mess is out of Denver and in Oregon .

I had a great NSV today. I've been wanting a skirt, tired of always wearing jeans. Anyway, I knew there was a Talbot woman on the second level of our mall, but I stopped at J. Jill on the way. I was able to buy two size 18 skirts, and got a cute top that was a LARGE! Tried on the XL first but it was too big. YIPPEE!!! I shopped in a thin-woman's store!!!
Old 05-02-2003, 08:28 AM   #4  

Yeah its Friday! Sunshine again! I'm back to work today. I've spent the last two days decompressing here at home. I got a few things done that I've started and not had time to finish. FINALLY finished painting the purple bathroom. I got my nails done yesterday. I haven't had that done in months. but I love it when my nails look good. The cheap part of me hates to spend the money every two weeks but the girly girl loves the bright pink polish!

I've been trying to get refocused. I've been so exhausted but I've started my exercise again. I've done the spinner and walked the dog the last two days. I'll be back in the groove by Monday.

I'm going to spend the weekend with my sister. She's about three hours away and I haven't been down there for the weekend in about a year. Just too much going on. We're going to WW tomorrow. I'm going to be accountable and she's rejoining. She always loses really fast with no exericse (which is SOOOO unfair) but then quits and goes back to her old emotional eating habits. And we know what happens when you do that! That will help me to get back on track - won't be doing any drive through at the Krispy Kreme which I suspect she's been doing a little too much lately.

I'll be back on Sunday.

Cynthia - How is the house selling going? Had any serious lookers? Must be running you ragged. How are you doing with your exercise and focus? Hang in there and don't let this detract you. You've done so great.

Jen- I saw that the yarn shop is open. Woohoo! What fun! You must be keeping busy. Pop in when you can.

Take care and have great OP weekends!
Old 05-02-2003, 09:49 AM   #5  
Find a Way

Sounds like a nice weekend planned there, Terri. DH and I are heading to Aspen today for a weekend getaway ourselves. Can't wait!!! I even bought some clothes at a REGULAR CLOTHING STORE for the occasion, a couple of skirts and a top. The skirts were size 18 (no W) and the top is a large .

Lots of showings on the house but no offers yet so that kinda bites. But, if it doesn't sell no biggie. We'll just come back here for the winter. If it does sell, we'll look for a house in Vegas in about a year after saving up a downpayment.

Well, have to start packing. Have a great weekend you guys!
Old 05-03-2003, 07:10 AM   #6  

Good morning!

I'm sitting here early this morning before heading into work. I work open to close today - and I just hope there's more foot traffic today than there was yesterday. It'd been raining here and that's death for foot traffic when you have an uncovered side walk in an cute little shopping district.

I'm doing well on program - I think. I've missed my last two weigh-ins due to work obligations, but my scale at home is being kind to me. I've located a meeting very near the store, so I'll be moving where I weigh-in as soon as I have time to do something about it (probably not next week, but rather the week after, as my folks are in town next week).

Terri, I've been thinking about you since I read about your loss. I'm so sorry.

Cynthia, you have such an exciting life! Moving, shopping, weekend getaways. I'm all agog. And isn't it SUCH FUN shopping when the sizes are going down. I'm stalled at the 18/20, XL/1X level myself- but I figure that's one heck of an accomplishment for me, so I'm happy enough with it. To shop in the thin-woman's store is my plan for this coming fall. :-) Whee!
Old 05-05-2003, 01:19 AM   #7  
Find a Way

Jen - DH and I do tend to indulge ourselves now and then. The thing is, the more you travel the more you get to travel, if you know what I mean. You earn all these miles and hotel points, and DH is always on the look for special promotions to get even more points and miles, so it's a never ending cycle.

Aspen was relaxing - about 70% of the town is closed until June 1st. The locals like to get the heck out of dodge after the ski season ends, because it gets pretty durn busy there in the summer as well. It's their chance for vacation. Fortunately the weather was nice on Saturday, plus they must have had some decently dry days, because the hiking was good and not muddy like I thought it might be.

Not much else going on right now, just journaling and drinking water like a mad woman.
Old 05-05-2003, 08:06 AM   #8  

Default Monday morning!

I'm back!! Gosh, its been a rough 10 days. MIL is now starting to have fits about moving into a seniors apartment complex even though they had not even been in their new apartment two weeks before SFIL passed away. I've got to read the lease for her plus the apartment that she wants to move into had called on the day he passed away to say they had an opening. Well....with all the phone calls and turmoil, I forgot they called and honestly, didn't think she would be able to do anything about it then. Stupid me, I never mentioned it to her and you should have heard her last night carrying on because she might have missed an opportunity. This is absolutely the right thing to do for her but crap, I can only handle so much at a time.

I had a good weekend with my sister. She had called on Friday because she had gotten fired from her job as a claims adjuster. No warning, no chances to improve - just that she was no longer a team player. She was stunned. I suggested that she go to the department of labor since they gave her no discussions or nothing in writing prior to that. She's female and over 50 so if all she accomplishes is to scare them a little bit, then she will have stood up for herself. My going helped her recover some and we still went to WW. She decided to go ahead and join even though her usual response to this kind of trauma is to bury her head in comfort food. I bought her 10 weeks of prepays. I LOVED the leader. What a blast and inspiration. Too bad she's 3 hours away.

My WI went well. I was only up .4. Yes, UP and I'm happy! With all the church food I've had recently, I seriously expected at least a 3 pound gain. I'm all jazzed and movitated to work that off this week and hopefully work off another pound.

Now one of DH's brothers is in the hospital. Last week he had a special heart test and they told him he has one artery 100% clogged and another 70% clogged. He was supposed to go back on Wednesday for a cathe and possibly stents if not double bypass. He's only 54. But we've been expecting this as there is a family history of heart disease and he smokes like a fiend. He's already been told if he doesn't quit smoking, eventually they may have to amputate one if not both legs. He's already got stents in his legs and I think in his cardiac arteries. Once we found out he was having chest pains and using nitro spray, DH got on the phone and begged him to go to the emergency room. DH was very scared that he would have a massive heart attack waiting for Wednesday and the test to come around. GEEZ!

Yesterday was a horrendous day with the tornadoes in our area. We had big damage to the north and south of us. Fortunately, all we got was rain. My sister called in the evening to say that the town about 7 miles from mom had been hit hard and that while she was on the phone with mom, mom said "I've got to go, the storm is here". Then the phones were all out and no way to see if mom was okay. My brother, the ham radio operator, contacted one of dad's old ham buddies and sent them over to see if she was okay. No tornado damage but was without electricity. Gad, that was scarey. I hope mom decides to sell the farm and move closer to one of use soon.

So............THANK GOD its Monday!

Jen - Hope you don't get blasted by these storms. Looks like you're doing well in keeping OP in spite of being so busy with the yarn shop. Good for you! Hopefully you will be rewarded with a nice loss soon.

Cynthia - I was so mad at myself on Friday for not mentioning how thrilled I was for you to shop in the regular clothes section. I can't post from work and it was there that I realized I forgot. What a grand accomplishment. Aspen sounds fun - I love Aspen. I really love the scenic drive that runs north and south that goes through Aspen.

I'm ready to be back to journalling and keeping to OP foods. You know, the more I try to stay on WW program the less I enjoy non-WW friendly foods. A little stray is okay but to do it for a few days I begin to feel yucky.

Have a great OP Monday!
Old 05-06-2003, 07:52 AM   #9  

Just time for a quick check in -

Yesterday was a great food day. I needed that after too much junky stuff over the weekend. Fortunately, I walked the dog before work yesterday because that was all the cardio exercise I got in. DH had a school trip so I had gradiose ideas of 30 minutes on the spinner and walking the dog again. But I had to go to the store on the way home and then I spent almost two hours on the phone. Talked with mom to see how she's doing and the devastation of the town by the tornado - talked with MIL about her money and the assisted living apartment - talked with the ex-SDIL about the trip to New York. I was good because for dinner, I fixed myself chicken and peppers in FF tortillas. After all that, it was 8:30 and I was wiped out.

I'll have to tell you about the trip to NY later. I've never been and am dying to go.

I better get moving. I have to be at the MIL's before 8:30 so that I can hear the social security call and make sure she's got her benefits worked out again.

Have a great OP day!
Old 05-07-2003, 07:35 AM   #10  

Another batch of thunderstorms hit our area yesterday and predicted tomorrow as well. After Sunday's tornadoes, we're a little skittish. Amazing that there have been 80+ in the last three days across the US.

Yesterday was another good food day. I'm trying to get more veggies and fruit it. I took the dog for a fast spin through the neighborhood last night. He sure doesn't have the stamina that he did last year (when he wasn't 140 lbs)! Thank goodness he's not overweight or he wouldn't make it out of the cul-de-sac.

Yesterday, I had a freak out moment. By the end of the day, my mind was racing and I was mentally exhausted. Yesterday morning, I had to be at MIL's at 8:30 and got those things taken care of. Then his brother needed a ride home from the hospital and the other brother couldn't be found so I went to get him settled in back at home. I had to go to work after that and could not get focused even though I have so much I have to be doing. Its like my thoughts race from what to do for him mom, my mom, his brother, my sister, his mom, my mom, etc. Its gotten to be too much and I can't sit down, relax and get into my own zone. Its zapping my energy and making exercise a chore. Tomorrow we take MIL to see an assisted living apartment and maybe then her needs will settle down a bit. The good news is that I did not resort to comfort or stress eating. While I was exhausted, I did make the dog and I walk which I was glad I did once done.

Hope everyone is okay with all the bad weather and such busy lives for us all. Take care and have a great OP day!
Old 05-07-2003, 11:49 AM   #11  
Find a Way

Good lord Terri, I'm tired from just reading your posts. You sure have a lot on your plate and I'll be glad when things slow down for you, so I can't IMAGINE how you'll feel.

When do you go to NY again? DH and I will be there around June 14th. I LOVE that city and if we had any kind of money I'd want to live there for about a year or two, probably in Greenwich. There's just so much going on, so many different neighborhoods so you never get bored, decent public transportation, etc., etc., etc. I need to take some time to research what kind of entertainment I want to take in. We won't be there long so I only have one shot. I would love to see the ballet, or a dramatic play. Just depends on the scheduling.

Kinda busy now with the move coming up and we haven't even started getting ready for it, so much to do. Oh well, exercise and proper meals come first, . It's not like we are working under a deadline or anything. If we go a week later, doesn't matter.
Old 05-08-2003, 07:54 AM   #12  

Morning!

We due for more severe weather. Actually a storm should hit here within 45 minutes and then again later this evening. I'm ready for some sunshine!

I had a good day yesterday. DH had a school trip so I raced home, changed my clothes and headed for the rec room for exercise. I drug out my Tae Bo tape - haven't done that in months. I stuck through the whole routine even though I couldn't do all the reps. Worked up a sweat and it felt fabulous. I'm making it a plan to do it at least twice a week - three would be best. Later on, Bear and I took our walk - twice in a day! I was determined to make my exercise and healthy eating a priority over everyone else.

Food was good - one slice bread, peanut butter, soy milk, yogurt, tuna with FF mayo, tomato chunks, carrots, banana, chicken, spinach with strawberries, red onion, tomato and vinagrette! It takes work to get all the veggies and fruit worked in to the meal plan!

Tonight is fish cooking class. DH and I do a terrible job of cooking fish and we both really need more of it in our diets. Hopefully tonight I will get some good recipes.

The NY trip isn't until Thanksgiving. DH's DGD is going with the choir to sing at Carnegie Hall. I saw her the weekend of SFIL's passing and she was filling us in on the trip (she had sent a letter asking for monetary donations). I jokingly asked about needing chaperones and she said that yes they need someone. I'm planning on going but need to make the final decision soon. I would have to room with 3 16-yo girls. Their main goal for NYC is to get on TV at MTV's Total Request Live. I've never been there but want to. I'm thinking going with the big group and getting a feel for it and then returning with a friend later on might be worth the money and the trauma of teenagers. I'm not sure exactly what is planned. We would leave on Thanksgiving morning and return on Monday. I think there is a Broadway play and a midnight cruise around Ellis Island.

Cynthia - You'll have to tell me what to put onto our agenda to see at NY. I would LOVE to go into some store and buy something trendy. Good luck with all your moving and house selling. It sure is time consuming. Don't work too hard!

Time to move on and get the puter unplugged. Take care and have a great OP day!
Old 05-08-2003, 04:04 PM   #13  
Find a Way

Terri - I'm with you on this weather thing. If Colorado is in a drought then how come every time I try to paint the outside trim is there rain?????? Started work on a 2nd story bay window and sure enough, drizzle drizzle drizzle. Ugh.

And congrats on the exercise, that is great!! I also agree with the veggies, it is the most time consuming part of my meal preparation. However, they help me stay full so it's worth the effort if it keeps me away from the ice-cream .

As for fish, here are three great websites with salmon recipes from B.C. I used to like to put mine (any kind of fish now) in parchment paper - with a sprig of rosemary on top - and bake at about 375 degrees for 15 minutes or so, depending on thickness. Keeps everything clean and the fish comes out incredibly moist. No cooking meat in our house anymore, but I will grill it outside during the summer. Now for those sites:

http://www.canfisco.com/rec_bbsr1_index.html
http://www.canfisco.com/rec_bbsr2_index.html
http://www.canfisco.com/rec_bbsr3_index.html

I still have research to do for New York. I threw out the idea of ballet but DH vetoed that one real quick. He's never been a fan of dance though he loves classical music and the opera. OOhhh, I wonder if the Alvin Ailey dance group will be in session. I could probably get him to that. They are my absolute faves. The choreograph in incredible (I can't remember the woman's name now) and the dancers so athletic and talented. That famous Fat Free store that everyone talks about on the WW message boards is downtown somewhere. I've driven by it in a taxi but can't remember now where it is. Actually, what DH and I like best is to walk around the different neighborhoods and Central Park. It is amazing.

I have a celebration today. Got my 50-lb fridge magnet!! I have now lost 51 lbs and have 55 to go. In about a month I should be in Onederland!!!
Old 05-09-2003, 08:02 AM   #14  

good morning!

Only time for a quick post as I want to get in a dog walk this morning while the sun is shining! More tornadoes in our area last night and more for tonight. Got to get outside in between storms. Next week looks better.

Another good day with food. The scale isn't giving it up though. But I will hang in there and not get lax because that won't help either. I will work in a couple of Tae Bo's this weekend - maybe that will help.

Last night was the fish class. Fun. She cooked a zesty seafood salad (scallops and baby greens), swordfish with pineapple salsa, pan seared salmon with mint and red snapper with black beans. The salad was weird but might be worth figuring out how to make it less weird. Guess I don't like fennel. The red snapper was good but would be great with the addition of fresh pico de gallo. I don't think I'll be trying the sardine cakes recipe. Fish tacos, marinade recipes, tuna steaks, catfish...

If anything sounds intriguing, just let me know and I'll post the recipes.

Cynthia - Here's all kinds of happy dances for your accomplishment.

We started back at the same time, I've lost 7 and you've lost 51! I am sooo happy for you!! Seeing your successes is what reminds that yes, this can be done - just takes exercise and sticking with it. Keep up all your great work.

Jen- Hope you're doing well and are just busy. Miss you!

Last week, the WW meeting in our area was about veggies. Not sure if everyone's was the same. At the end, the leader read the cutest motivational words but didn't have time to get it all written down. I found it over on Dottie's site and thought I would share here.

Plant five rows of PEAS patience, perseverance, preparation, planning and positiveness
Include three rows of SQUASH: squash negativity, squash dieting; squash deprivation
Add five rows of LETTUCE let us be positive; let us take responsibility; let us be in Control;
let us reward our accomplishments; let us be empowered.
No garden is complete without TURNIPS turn up with a positive attitude; turn up with a smile;
turn up with new ides; turn up with real determination; turn up with success!
Old 05-10-2003, 11:30 AM   #15  

Hi ladies!

Just stopping to to say that I went to WI again. Now I'm back on my planned scheudule. I had a good WI - down another 2! I was surprised and thrilled. I attribute it to making the effort to plan a variety of veggies and focusing more on the veggies than on other carbs. Now, to keep this focus and WI again in two weeks.

I'm off to have a nap and watch Survivor. It was rebroadcast last night as our Thursday was another tornado night. So was last night! About 3:30 am it started to hail like I've never seen before. Like snow in the back yard - and for a good 15-20 minutes. Really hard to sleep through that. I believe that same storm system spawned a tornado east of us about 30 minutes. Then at 5 am when I was getting all settled back down, I sat straight up in the bed because I could hear something - either a roaring sound or sirens somewhere. It might have been my imagination but if it wasn't, it was loud for me to hear it over my earplugs. Nap time for all of us.

Have a happy Mothers Day!
Closed Thread