Whole Foods Lifestyle - Best juicer for little $

View Full Version : Best juicer for little $

mirax3
04-02-2012, 06:31 PM
I have been interested in juicing for awhile, but simply do not have the money to dish out for a $200-300+ juicer. I have seen tutorials on Youtube of how to do it in blender, but the heat from the blender kills some of the enzymes in the veggies, and I want all the nutrition.

Does anyone have a cheapish juicer that they know of that juices greens well along with fruits and veggies? I hope there is one out there!

kaplods
04-02-2012, 08:49 PM
If you want all the nutrition, eat the fruits and vegetables.

Most true juicers strain out, arguably the best part (the fiber). The pulverizer-style, non-straining juicers keep the fiber but are essentially high-powered blenders. The pulverizers are supposedly the healthiest option, but I haven't ever seen a cheap one.

That being said, the little bit of heat that a blender is going to add isn't going to reduce the nutrition all that much (sitting on the grocery store shelves and in the veggie bin probably does worse).

Another option is adding very cold ingredients such is ice or frozen juice or frozen veggies or fruit in with your fresh fruits and veggies. Even very cold juice or water would help That way the cold ingredients will offset the heat created by the blender's motor. As will pausing the blender between pulses to allow the heat to dissipate.

CyndiM
04-02-2012, 09:00 PM
I picked up a remanufactured Breville on Amazon for $79. It has the regular warranty so no worries about it.

I actually do use a lot of the pulp in muffins, casseroles, etc.

Veela
04-03-2012, 12:46 AM
When it comes to juicing you want to be careful what seems like a cheap investment can end up costing you more in fruit. I would highly recommend you check out reviews online and on youtube. There are a lot of great videos with juice yield comparisons it also gives you an idea of the noise level.

I did a lot of research before buying my juicer I wanted something that was quiet, left some but not all fiber in the juice and easy to use and clean. I went with the Omega 350 vrt. It is expensive but it also has a 10 year warranty and I use it almost everyday. Also compared to how much fruit and vegetables people put into juicers like the breville I find mine produces a lot of juice for very low cost in the fruit and veggie department.

It also depends on what you mainly are planning on juicing. If you are looking mainly fruit then the noising centrifugal juicers are not the best bet, hard vegetables they have the market on and leafy greens are wasted on those spinning beasts. Research is really important if you don't think you are going to use it or become discouraged from low juice yields any investment will be a waste. Go with what best fits you and be willing to up your price point because juicing is awesome and you deserve the best!

LAgreeneyes
04-04-2012, 06:36 PM
I bought this juicer when I started my juice cleanse and I loved it. I dropped 22 lbs in 30 days and have kept it off.

http://www.walmart.com/ip/GE-Juice-Extractor/12311470

Isabunny
04-12-2012, 09:15 AM
I just bought my Breville from BB & Beyond. I signed up online and received a 20% off coupon in my email. Took it to the store the same day. My $149 juicer only costs $119. The store worker said it is the easiest to clean and works the best out of all the juicers. He said they are having a really hard time keeping it in stock. My local store didn't have it, so he looked up different locations, and I drove about 10 minutes to another store. He also said he could order it for me and not charge shipping. I have a Vitamixer also, which I use to make smoothies. I have tried many times to make juice in it and keep the pulp/fiber, but it just doesn't tastes as good as the juice that comes out of the juicer. I had to add lots of water to get the blender to blend carrots and other fruits.

mirax3
04-12-2012, 11:47 AM
Thanks guys! Lots of good advice here. I need to check out all of these juicers. I heard the Breville was really good and If I can get it for cheap as you did (Isabunny) I might try to get one really soon!

ringmaster
04-14-2012, 01:05 AM
I just bought my Breville from BB & Beyond. I signed up online and received a 20% off coupon in my email. Took it to the store the same day. My $149 juicer only costs $119. The store worker said it is the easiest to clean and works the best out of all the juicers. He said they are having a really hard time keeping it in stock. My local store didn't have it, so he looked up different locations, and I drove about 10 minutes to another store. He also said he could order it for me and not charge shipping. I have a Vitamixer also, which I use to make smoothies. I have tried many times to make juice in it and keep the pulp/fiber, but it just doesn't tastes as good as the juice that comes out of the juicer. I had to add lots of water to get the blender to blend carrots and other fruits.

thanks for comparing... I was wondering how/if the vitamix made juice from whole fruits and vegetables. does it then just makes them into a puree? couldn't a regular blender or hand blender do that?

maybe i'll look at the Breville deal mentioned above... I also heard BedBathandBeyond is good with returning things if they break later.

DanSinDeva
04-15-2012, 06:20 PM
I have a breville as well and bought mine at BB&B, i freaking love the thing. I have had it for almost 2 years now and use it almost every day and make several juices for the next day. IT's seriously so easy to clean, and is well worth the money.

KDeian
04-21-2012, 09:57 AM
I also bought the brevelle juice fountain after watching "fat sick and nearly dead". I found the entry level one for $100 at the j&r website.

brookelizabeth
04-25-2012, 04:03 PM
The Fat Sick and Nearly Dead has a website called The Reboot. There is a thread on juicers.

There are two types, one is more $, quieter and gets 30% more from greens. The downside is you have to cut stuff up quite small so it's slower. The other type which the Breville used in the movie is like is loud and you can juice faster. You do not get as much juice from greens.

I have both the Breville and the Angel which is my brother's $1,000 juicer and I use the $300 Breville because it is faster and easier to clean.

astrophe
04-25-2012, 04:56 PM
If you already have a blender -- try it there and see if it is powerful enough to whole juice. Chop stuff up and hit "liquefy" and see what you get. If it works out, you don't need another appliance. :)

I used my Oster that way for a while but I had to add water or juice to help it to "go" and deal with occasional chunks.

If you are not a fan of pulp in the juice, the Hamilton Beach "Big Mouth" does a nice job. Line the container with a grocery bag to catch the pulp and make clean up easier, clean the other parts right away with the brush it comes with. That was my first "official" juicer and did great for the fam.

http://www.amazon.com/Hamilton-Beach-Mouth-Juice-Extractor/dp/B002OF3FBK/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&qid=1335383697&sr=8-3

Around $60 so not too bad as an entry point juicer.

Later I saved up for Vitamix -- the pulp is back in and the result is smooth very drinkable. But I LIKE pulp in my juice. Not everyone does. (The motor in it is a lot stronger than my old Oster. This is going to matter in terms of the final result.)

HTH!
A.

Candeka
04-25-2012, 05:00 PM
I have the "Big Boss Juicer" and I love it.. It cost me about $60 at Walmart, but if you live in the USA, it is probably a bit cheaper.

mirax3
04-25-2012, 05:24 PM
I have the "Big Boss Juicer" and I love it.. It cost me about $60 at Walmart, but if you live in the USA, it is probably a bit cheaper.

I'll have to look that one up. How does it do with vegetables? Have you tried to juice greens with it?

i33BabyGirl33i
05-04-2012, 10:37 PM
I just checked out the Big Boss Juicer on amazon and it really has mixed reviews.

Ajohnson2
06-14-2012, 07:52 PM
I bought a Breville from Best Buy for 149$ and I love it :)

MizMelis
06-16-2012, 11:36 PM
I'm new to juicing(could never really afford to buy one), But the local Canadian Tire by my place has the Hamilton beach Big mouth juicers on sale for half Price and I'm picking one up in just a few days !! I'm so excited to juice some granny smith apples and some red delicious for some delicious pure apple juice. I plan on keeping a lot of the pulp from the veggies i plan on juicing for home made soups and a lot of the fruit pulp for muffins and such.

astrophe
06-17-2012, 01:14 AM
Try carrot + apple in the big mouth. It's one of the favs around here.

A.

MizMelis
06-18-2012, 01:50 AM
Yeah ? It sounds really good ! The last couple of month i've been taking a lot of the processed foods out of my diet , As of tomorrow almost all processed sugar will be taken out of my diet and i'll be eating pretty much all fresh whole foods. I just can't wait to get my juicer on wednesday, I normally drink 2-3 cups of coffee first thing in the morning with granulated sugar/flavored coffee cream for a bit of a jump start, but I've stopped drinking it for 2 days so far and I'm going to use my juicer first thing in the mornings to substitute for the coffee i used to drink.

Any other good combinations ?

tiniree
06-26-2012, 06:41 PM
Which one though for both greens and fruits? I'd like one that would liquify things like kale, spinach, etc.. as well as fruit.

Marie

gettingmygymon
07-11-2012, 02:22 AM
I use the Black and Decker Juice Extractor. It was $33, including tax, at Walmart. It handles all fruits and most veggies, but I found kale has to be removed from the woody stem.

katkitten
07-11-2012, 08:00 PM
freshly juiced golden delicious apples are so yummy! I have a Breville that was 150 dollars. It is so cool. I dont even have to cut the apples up and it juices them in seconds.

Misti in Seattle
02-18-2013, 01:19 PM
This is an old thread but wanted to share. At the recommendation of a friend, I just bought a Jack la lannes power juicer at Costco for $90. Made my first batch and it is fantastic!!! I love the thing already.

Suzanne 3FC
02-18-2013, 03:00 PM
Misti, I also have a Jack LaLanne juicer and I'm happy with it. I'm not sure which model you have, but this is the one I have. (http://amzn.to/XJ6VsN) My mother bought it from the commercial and never used it, and gave it to me. The only problem I've had with it has been with leafy greens that want to shoot out the back without juicing properly. I just scoop up the pulp from the container and run it through a second time and it gets the greens along with any juice that might not have been extracted the first time around. Overall, the pulp is usually pretty dry because it does a good job.

I don't juice very often, though. I live on mainly vegetables and fruits, and I like to eat them as food instead of a beverage.

Misti in Seattle
02-18-2013, 06:01 PM
Suzanne, thank for the info. Mine is called the Ultimate Power Juicer. Had I known there was a nicer one I might have sprung for that, as generally it is worth it.

Thanks for the suggestion about running the pulp through again. The pulp on mine was pretty dry too but would not hurt to get out more of the juice.

I eat a lot of raw fruits and veggies too but thought this would add something "different" and new for a change.

Suzanne 3FC
02-18-2013, 06:28 PM
I agree, it's nice for a change. I really love carrot apple juice with a big chunk of ginger :T

Misti in Seattle
02-18-2013, 07:10 PM
I will have to try some simpler stuff LOL. I used pineapple, oranges, lime, celery, carrots, zucchini, cucumber, mixed greens, red and yellow bell pepper, tomatoes, blueberries, raspberries and strawberries. :) It's good stuff though LOL. Talk about a mess in the kitchen! They are right that if you are not careful to get the "pusher" in quickly enough, it will splatter all over the place. :)

papmom35
02-22-2013, 03:27 PM
I also bought the brevelle juice fountain after watching "fat sick and nearly dead". I found the entry level one for $100 at the j&r website.

I also watched the video and did some research on juicers. I picked the Breville Joe recommends on his website and I've been using it for about a month now. I like it very much and it is super easy to clean. What sold me on this was the extra large feeder mouth. You really can put a whole apple in it!! I have noticed that Kale does not produce a lot of juice and I don't know if that's the blender or the vegetable itself. I've made Joe's Mean Green Juice 3 times now and sip it throughout the day at work. My refridgerator as never looked so healthy!!

Pam-new member

Misti in Seattle
02-23-2013, 12:59 AM
Hi Pam

I just googled the Breville and it does look nice! LOL I can't say mine is easy to clean but I do like the juice it makes. Glad you are enjoying yours too!

Misti in Seattle
02-23-2013, 06:34 PM
I agree, it's nice for a change. I really love carrot apple juice with a big chunk of ginger :T

I also really like it because I have a problem with letting produce go bad before I can use it all. Now I will just start throwing it into the juicer.

I also plan to freeze some for sorbet

Suzanne 3FC
02-24-2013, 09:21 PM
Good idea! I also save the pulp and put it in the composter. Zero waste :)

Misti in Seattle
02-24-2013, 10:07 PM
Good idea! I also save the pulp and put it in the composter. Zero waste :)

Super idea... I don't have a composter. It would also be good to put on people's gardens... of course I don't have one of those either. :)

The recipe book that came with mine had some good recipes for muffins and stuff using the pulp... except LOL I would never make that either. :)

patns
04-27-2013, 01:07 AM
There is an article in First magazine on juicing. They say the Hamilton Beach Big mouth jicer is as good as the expensive ones. It is $79 on amazon.com; unfortunately more in Canada.I got one for $119 at Canadian Tire today.

ssourgirl
04-29-2013, 10:42 PM
I have the Hamilton Beach Big Mouth and got it at Best Buy for $53! If you check their site, the often have them on sale.

patns
05-01-2013, 01:43 AM
I have the Hamilton Beach Big Mouth and got it at Best Buy for $53! If you check their site, the often have them on sale.

Are you in Canada? They are much more expensive here than in the US.

Amyp70
08-12-2013, 10:20 PM
I have a Breville and love it. I've had it for 2 years and have never had any problems. Only thing I hate is the clean up!