Exercise! - The Couch to 5K (C25K) Running Plan Thread

Pages : [1] 2 3

Scarlett
09-24-2011, 05:26 PM
I just noticed that the other C25K thread got closed so I took it upon myself to create a new one. This is for everyone who is doing/discussing the C25K running plan.

below is my last post from the old thread.

thanks

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Whoa!!! I completed the 5 mile walk-a-thon this morning AND ran 2 miles . I barely slept last night and woke up feeling sore from yesterday. The humid weather made the walk much more difficult. After the walk my clothes were drenched and my legs ached. I ate some carbs at the event (small doughnut, 1/2 bagel and stole a bottle of Gatorade). I felt gross when I got home and just wanted to get my run in so I could shower. I rested for 1-2 hours, chugged the bottle of Gatorade and set out to run.

I felt like **** and really didn't expect to finish the run. During the warm up walk my heart rate was a bit slow, which encouraged me. I finished and my time was better than yesterday. 2 miles in 20 min and 40 seconds, go figure. I'll definitely take it though. I think the carbs and Gatorade really helped. Hopefully I don't feel like death in the morning.

Thinsole -Thanks for the encouragement. Good luck with week 3 and good luck with working on your breathing. I really struggled with the breathing thing for awhile. I am incapable of pacing myself without a HRM. This is probably the main reason I never ran outside before starting C25K in May. Try to go slow and save the extra energy/burst for the end. I like to find a high object (that I'm running toward ie tree branch, street sign etc) in the distance to focus my attention on. It helps me to keep my head up. I try to keep my focus on the object, on my breathing and a little bit on my form. Your lungs will catch up .

Aka8941 - Good Luck. I usually run like crap after a night of drinking or really poor eating. You'll get through it

5K Training Schedule

Wednesday 9/21 - W5D2 [X]
Thursday 9/22 - W5D2 [X]
Friday 9/23 - W5D3 [X]
Saturday 9/24 - W5D3 [X]
Sunday 9/25 - W6D1 [ ]
Monday 9/26 - REST DAY [ ]
Tuesday 9/27 - W6D1 [ ]
Wednesday 9/28 - W6D2 [ ]
Thursday 9/29 - W6D2 [ ]
Friday 9/30 - REST DAY [ ]
Saturday 10/1 - RACE DAY!! [ ]

Thinsole
09-24-2011, 10:59 PM
Scarlett- Ugh, I hate running after an off night like that. Especially after doing a 5 mile walk in humid weather. Does Gatorade work for you? It always makes me sick. Way to go on beating your time even with all that stacked against you.

Took a rest day today but feeling like I should get back out there. I know the program says not to run more than it says but I feel the need for a lest a brisk walk. Does anyone else run more than what the program recommends?

aka8941
09-25-2011, 02:15 AM
I didn't run today....

aka8941
09-25-2011, 02:19 AM
Scarlett, thank you for starting a new thread. I always rely on other people to do that sort of thing for me. Okay, so last night I drank, this morning I woke up and felt like *hit. I had plans this evening so I didn't go on my run....BUT..tomorrow is another day and I will do it Sunday, an extra 15 minutes. I'll see you guys then and hopefully this will be a better post. But, I am down another two pounds.

Good night

Scarlett
09-25-2011, 11:00 AM
I really appreciate you guys reading my "novel" type updates every day. I do them mostly for me and to keep myself accountable but the encouragement really helps. The good news is I slept well and woke up with very little soreness. The bad news is TOM came last night and I feel like ****. I never complain about TOM though, I have PCOS and getting it is always a good thing. At 1pm I plan to attempt my run. After running 2 miles 2 days in a row, 18 min worth or intervals doesn't seem that intimidating. I'm only going to track myself by time and plan to take it really slow. If I make it though today, TOM should be manageable by Tuesday (and gone by race day!!) and I will be in great shape to finish my "schedule."

Thinsole - I ran 5-6 times a week for most of my progress though the program. I would usually take a long walk or an easy bike ride on "break days." Though the second I felt a little too sore or felt a little too "heavy" trying to run I'd take 2-3 days off to rest (or as long as I needed). Go by how you feel. If you feel like running, go for it.

I never tried Gatorade with running before yesterday. They just had bottles of the stuff at the walk and I took one with me. The 16oz bottle only had 110 calories. I felt a little sick chugging the thing and thought it tasted a bit too sweet. I couldn't tell you how much it really helped though. I sweated a bunch at the walk so it probably helped to replenish my electrolytes, plus the sugar probably helped with energy. I think my burst was mostly due to how determined I am to get over this hump. I've been at the same place for the past 2 months and am just fed up with myself and ready to move on. It may be superstitious but after yesterday I plan to drink a 16oz bottle before my race on Sat.

Aka8941 - Don't worry about a few extra days off too much. Just stick with it and don't let it turn into 2-3 weeks. I'm sure you'll be fine. Those types of stretches happen to everyone. Congrats on the 2 pounds. I'd take a good weight loss week over a good running week any day ;).

Scarlett
09-25-2011, 02:53 PM
I just finished W6D1 and Xed off tomorrow's rest day too. The run almost felt easy. My heart rate barely increased during the first 5 min interval. I could probably jump into W6D2 on Tuesday but I like the idea of sticking with my original schedule. I don't want to push myself too much in the days before my race. YAY rest day tomorrow!!!

5K Training Schedule

Thursday 9/22 - W5D2 [X]
Friday 9/23 - W5D3 [X]
Saturday 9/24 - W5D3 [X]
Sunday 9/25 - W6D1 [X]
Monday 9/26 - REST DAY [X]
Tuesday 9/27 - W6D1 [ ]
Thursday 9/29 - W6D2 [ ]

Toonses
09-25-2011, 06:33 PM
Happy Sunday!

Saturday - Week 2, Day 1. I usually take a 2-mile route to complete run/walk. This usually takes about 30 mins so I have been pushing beyond 20 mins. So far so good. We will see how week three goes.

Have a great week....

aka8941
09-25-2011, 11:02 PM
PUSH PUSH this week ladies!
Week 3 starts tomorrow!

iamerican
09-26-2011, 12:14 AM
I posted on the old thread frequently a while back, but then life got busy. Just wanted to say that on Saturday I finished C25k. I still can't run 3.1 miles, but I did all the times and intervals. I can run 33 min long and have ran 2.6 miles straight... and I weigh 244.6 pounds. If I can do it, I have faith in all! Good luck everyone. keep it up!

Thinsole
09-26-2011, 10:49 AM
Congrats on finishing iamerican!

Aka- I'm also starting week 3 today.

Rainy, wet, and cold outside so putting off the running portion of my workout till this evening when I can do it indoors. W3D1!

EveLHaelf
09-26-2011, 04:11 PM
Hey! During my last bout with weight loss about a year ago I completed the couch to 5k program and then went on to complete a half marathon! It was a great feeling, but since then I have become stagnant with exercise and wasn't eating right and I gained some weight back. So I am re starting the program. I am actually on week two and I completed day 1 yesterday. I've been running outside with my pup (he needs the exercise too! :p ) Today I did a cardio dvd before work and will do day two tomorrow.

Keep on running! :carrot:

aka8941
09-27-2011, 07:51 AM
hello my fellow graduate! I too fell off the proverbial wagon and have gotten back on the program. It's hard to sustain running isn't it? you either use it, or lose it.

Cheers to using it!

aka8941
09-27-2011, 09:30 AM
September 1-227.0
September 2-226.8
September 3-225.5
September 4-226.0
September 5-224.5
September 6-228.5
September 7- 225.2
September 8-222.0
September 9-?
September 10-?
September 11-222.0 (end of day, after dinner)
September 12-220.6 (morning)
September 13-219.5
September 14-220.1
September 15-220.0.
September 16- 220.5
September 17- 219.1
September 18- 219.0
September 19- 217.0 whooosh
September 20-217.0
September 21-220.5
September 22-219.5 (this is wacky) (temp still at 100.2) down
September 23-218.5
September 24-216.5 *back where I need to be
September 25-215.8
September 26- 217 ?? not sure this is accurate
September 27- 215.5

I want ONEderland SOOO BAD

Scarlett
09-27-2011, 01:08 PM
I'm going to go out for my run in a bit but thought I'd catch up first. My scale needs a new specialty battery. I think I'm going to put off ordering one for a week or two because I let the scale drive me a little too nuts. I'm going to try and be really good for the next two weeks and hopefully have a pleasant surprise when I fix my scale.

Iamerican - I remember chatting with you a bit in the old thread and you were always so encouraging :hug: great job in completing the program!! 2.6 miles and 33 min is definitely something to be proud of. Are your going to stick with running?

Thinsole - Good Luck with Week 3 :running:

EveLhaelf - welcome back!! At least you're getting back on track now and didn't lose all your progress.

Aka8941 - I'd be thrilled with almost 15 pounds in a month. That’s a whole pant size, :congrat: For some reason no matter what I do I can't lose more than 10 pounds a month. I'm losing though so I can't complain. Good Luck with Week 3 :D

EveLHaelf
09-27-2011, 05:14 PM
Completed day two of week two! Me and my pup are TIRED. :D

Scarlett
09-27-2011, 05:19 PM
I finished W6D1 today and am still on pace with my schedule :carrot:

I felt a bit heavy and sluggish trying to run today. I didn't track my distance and may have run at a quicker pace. Maybe it was TOM slowing me down or the fact that I've been cutting my calories (and carbs) a bit. Sometimes these types of days pop up for no reason. Who knows. I'm excited to almost be done with the intervals.

5K Training Schedule

Thursday 9/22 - W5D2 [X]
Friday 9/23 - W5D3 [X]
Saturday 9/24 - W5D3 [X]
Sunday 9/25 - W6D1 [X]
Tuesday 9/27 - W6D1 [X]
Thursday 9/29 - W6D2 [ ]

aka8941
09-28-2011, 03:02 AM
I'm still on week 2, I just don't feel ready to move on yet.

Scarlett
09-28-2011, 07:02 PM
I did W6D2 today. I came up a little short on the last interval but definitely gave it all I had. I just didn't have the legs today. At the end I was sweating bullets. I feel like I got a great workout and that's the main thing. I plan to kick W6D2's @ss tomorrow :jig:

5K Training Schedule

Thursday 9/22 - W5D2 [X]
Friday 9/23 - W5D3 [X]
Saturday 9/24 - W5D3 [X]
Sunday 9/25 - W6D1 [X]
Tuesday 9/27 - W6D1 [X]
Wednesday 9/28 - W6D2 [X]
Thursday 9/29 - W6D2 [ ]

Toonses
09-28-2011, 10:38 PM
Finished Week 2 this evening. It seems that when I start out with my run it is a struggle, but on the way back it is so much easier. Tried out my new Asics running shoes tonight and it made a big difference.

justdazed
09-28-2011, 11:52 PM
Just finished W2D1, I did better then I thought I was going to do. Pushed myself a bit harder today then last week and could feel the burn (it's was a nice burn though).

For anyone that is nearing the end, when if at all did you notice a difference in your body? Weight loss?

aka8941
09-29-2011, 12:03 AM
Alright, so I finally moved on to week 3. Week 3 Day 1 is done, perfectly. Felt sooooo good. I thought the three minutes would kill me, but then I think I'll be running 30 by the end of it, and I wasn't that impressed with myself anymore. JustDazed...the first time I did it, I lost around 13 pounds, but it was all fat so it made a lot of difference in my appearance. At that point I started at 186 or so and ended up 173. Now I'm like 200 something so maybe I'll lose more this time around.

Scarlett
09-29-2011, 11:35 AM
Ok I woke up this morning sore as heck!! It was the kind of sore where you just shouldn't push yourself. Plus it's raining outside. I'm now going to take today and tomorrow off, then run my race on Sat. I should be super fresh for the race.

When I started my schedule I hadn't run for a whole week in nearly 2 months and was hanging on to my progress by a thread. I really didn't expect to get through the whole thing. I'm very happy with my progress. Now I'm REALLY hoping for cool dry weather on Sat and a best time.

Also today was my weigh in and I saw the 180s for the first time in 2+ years. I'm sure the extra running was what got me over the hump :dancer:.

Toonses - congrats on finishing week 2. I'm the exact opposite. I start strong and need to dig deep to finish the workout.

Justdazed - I started C25K in May at 216 pounds. I'm currently at 188 and Week 6. I was REALLY out of shape and had never run outside in my life. I did the program in conjunction with a 3FC weight loss challenge that I took seriously. Therefore I really watched what I ate. I think I started to feel a difference around week 4. At this point I had been dragging myself outside to sweat regularly and started to feel like a semi-fit person. Seeing myself jog around the neighborhood for 5 min intervals made me feel like a person who jogs. I also started to feel abs under my flab at about this point. Good Luck!! Stick With It!!

Aka8941 - :bravo:

Thinsole
09-29-2011, 01:08 PM
Sick with the tummy flu the last two days. Felling like a well hydrated human being instead of jerky today. Skipped my run last night so tonight I'm doing W3D2. Looking at week 4 makes me feel twitchy.

Thinsole
09-29-2011, 10:16 PM
W3D2 done tonight. Was it really only last week that I was having trouble running 90 seconds? Breath is a lot better.

Scarlett way to go on your progress and good luck on your run!

Miaka
09-30-2011, 12:08 AM
I just did W5D1, I can't believe I did it!!!!

Meeel4121
09-30-2011, 02:21 AM
Just completed week 4... I am more than a little nervous to do week 5

aka8941
09-30-2011, 07:40 AM
WELL DONE MIAKA!!!!

MEEEEL! Beautiful work! Just keep going

Week 3 Day 2 tonight.

4myloves
09-30-2011, 10:14 AM
Do y'all mind if I join in?

My name is Cheryl. I have two little ones, Jake & Edie (see siggy!), who are the loves of my life. I started my WOE on July 25th. Low/no carb but no specific plan & exercise. Mostly I walk, although I have thrown in some exercise videos. The videos are too hard for me because of the kids--they want to participate, which usually involves laying under me! I've gotten to the point where I can walk a good 3-4-5 miles w/o really feeling tired or sore from it and I'm ready to take the next step (jogging).

I plan on "officially" starting the C25K program on Sunday or Monday, although I tried W1D1 last night with the Indie podcast I downloaded, just to see if it was "doable." I think it will be!

I weighed 240.5 at my last weekly weigh-in, which was Monday, and I'm just plain SICK of hearing "Oh, you're too BIG to run!" from people, which makes me even more determined to do it.

My goal is to run in our local marathon in November 2012 (Only the 1/2, probably!!!). Hopefully with baby steps now, I'll be ready to do it by next year! We have a running club in my town, but I'm too afraid (?) intimidated (?) to try to join them. They say all are welcome, but I think I would wonder "Are they judging me, thinking I'm too BIG to run?"

Anyway, sorry to write a book for an intro! I'll try to be back soon w/a schedule or something to motivate myself.

luvinit
09-30-2011, 03:16 PM
I'm starting this but wondering if you have any tips on timing your intervals. I've been doing it outside but find that I'm constantly looking at my watch and I swear one of these days I'm going to trip. I guess on the treadmill I watch too but it's a little more convenient.

Or does it just get easier as you go so I'm not counting down the seconds? Thanks!

Meeel4121
09-30-2011, 08:57 PM
I've found that it does get easier the further along you go. The trick I've found is to go slow... my pace is only slightly faster than when I walk... lol, it's more of a bop up and down on the spot than a run (ha), but it gets me through it.

Personally, i find running outside easier than a treadmill. Treadmills I tend to watch the time, whilst outside I don't wear a watch and force myself to keep pushing until the guy tells me to walk (I use the iPhone app =) ) But it's also spring on my side of the world, so I'm enjoying the sunshine before the heat!

Thinsole
09-30-2011, 10:55 PM
Welcome Cheryl!

Miaka- Way to go on week 5!

Meeel- Done with week 4...I'm still scared of week 4!

Luvinit- I run inside, but I run around a track so timing is easier once I figured out how far I ran during the intervals. I go more by laps than by time now. It was a lot of trial and error to find out what worked best for me. It does get easier, but each monday kicks my butt.

Finished week 3...on to week 4 and 5 min of running. *shivers*

Meeel4121
10-01-2011, 03:16 AM
Thinsole - good luck with wk 4! first day I didn't complete the last 5 min run, but by day 3 I found the 5 min parts easier than the 3 mins. It's strange (lol), but I guess that I get to my 'second wind' or something in those extra 2 minutes...

did w5d1 today. it felt good! my body felt better jogging/running than it did walking, so I think my muscles are starting to get used to the movement and impact. next is the 8 min intervals... so, it could be a different story ha

Scarlett
10-01-2011, 04:46 PM
I did my 5k this morning in 33 min and 25 seconds :running:

A personal best for me but I really didn't feel that fresh and needed to stop and adjust my watch. I think I could have done a 32 time if things went better.

Still, I got a workout and put up a good time. I am very happy!!

aka8941
10-02-2011, 10:15 PM
hey ladies! I'm back! I took a break from everything to heal after a viral infection of the respiratory tract. I've got another 5 days of antibiotics and such, but I ran this evening! Week 3 Day 2! It was a lot easier than day 1. It's pretty freaking magical the way the endurance just BUILDS and BUILDS. Taking time off was apparently what I needed.

Anyway...I digress..

Keep running and posting ladies!!!

Toonses
10-03-2011, 11:02 AM
Aka8941 - Sorry you are not feeling well. Looks like we are working on the same week.

Saturday - Week 3 Day 1. I was worried about this step, but it went well. Instead of two repetitions, I was able to complete three. I plan on completing Day 2 this evening.

ingridh
10-04-2011, 12:00 AM
Hi Guys!

I hope I can just jump in here. I am relatively new to the site and just started C25K yesterday. I lost about 40 pounds last year, mostly through diet and light exercise. With about 20 pounds to my goal weight left, I hit a serious plateau this summer. I'm hoping that changing up my workout routine will help get me back in gear.

I always thought that I just wasn't meant to be a runner but made it through W1D1 without feeling too stressed. I use the iphone app which was a big help...I would definitely be one of those people tripping trying while checking their watch. I have registered for a Turkey Trot on Nov. 27 so hopefully I will be checking in as I move towards my first 5k :)

Meeel4121
10-04-2011, 05:45 AM
ingridh - Welcome! Wow, 40 pounds is amazing! Good luck with the last 20!! Since starting C25K I've lost between 1 to 2 pounds a week, so it's definitely great for weight loss!

Scarlett - congrats on the 5K! That's a great time!

Completed Wk5D2 today. the 8 minutes felt good! As always the first 3 minutes were rough, but once I found my rthyme I was fine!
I have got a massive blister on the sole of my foot. I've got wide feet, so length wise my shoe is a little big... I'm thinking that my foot might be sliding around in my shoe. I made the 2nd half of the trip painful. That and the slight ache in my thigh.

20 minutes next! Zomg, I'm excited and petrified at the same time...

Hope everyone is having a good week!

4myloves
10-04-2011, 10:07 AM
W1D1 down!

Wow! When I read about those of you on higher weeks, it scares and excites me at the same time! I can't wait!

Congrats to all!

Toonses
10-04-2011, 10:09 AM
Completed Week 3, Day Two in the rain last night. Boy, that was refreshing.

justdazed
10-04-2011, 12:08 PM
done W2D3 yesterday. Rather off-track but I think I may start W3 tonight if I have time. I jumped on the scale this morning and so far no change. I'm not too concerned because I feel different in a good way, hopefully soon though :dizzy:

aka8941
10-04-2011, 11:22 PM
ONWARD to week 4!!!
16 pounds to lose to not be obese...scary word...

Miaka
10-05-2011, 02:23 AM
I just ran 2 miles straight for W5D3. I can't believe I did it. Meeel4121, you are so right, I ran on the treadmill and watched the timer the whole time. I need something to cover it up next time.

Meeel4121
10-05-2011, 03:03 AM
Miaka - Congrats on the 2 miles!! :cp: I use the iPhone app, I jam it into my pocket, or my bra (bad habit, I know), and leave it there. Makes the time go faster.

I did W4D3 today, and I looked at the timer at the 15 min and 18 min mark. Man did those last 5 minutes drag!!! Ultimately I did 18 minutes. The combination of this blister on my foot and stomach pains made me stop. I was disappointed, but then I realised that never in my life have I run 18 minutes without stopping in my life, so I feel slightly better. I'll attempt it again tomorrow.

Thinsole
10-05-2011, 10:56 AM
Aka- I feel the same way about the endurance. I'm always amazed when I move onto the next week and what I struggled with the week before becomes the easy part, lol.

ingridh- Welcome! Congrats on the 40 pounds lost! You can smash through that plateau for sure!

Miaka- Way to go on running 2 miles straight!

Meeeel- Congrats on running 18 minutes straight. That is a big accomplishment in my opinion!

Scarlett- Way to go on the 5K lady!

Whoo hoo! W4D2 down! Feels so good to have it done earlier in the day then have to wait till this evening.

It was my first time running around the neighborhood. I thought I'd be embarrassed with stuff bouncing and flapping everywhere but instead I felt empowered. It felt really good to know I was getting stronger and to realize how far I was jogging at one time. For some reason the distance wasn't clicking when I was just doing circles on the track.

It did slow my pace down some because I didn't have my usual pace markers and I learned a valuable lesson. Never run on trash day...ew.

Toonses
10-06-2011, 10:20 AM
Completed Week 3 last night. I am really nervous about starting week 4, but will trudge through it starting tomorrow evening. Thank goodness the weather is cooler in the evenings.

InsidetheBeltway
10-06-2011, 10:56 AM
Toonses Congratulations on completing Week 3! Best of luck on Week 4.

I did W6D2 last night and it was by far the worst run of C25K. I got done with the first 10 minute run and my body went you would like us to do that....again?!. I should be proud because it's on a very short list of times where my mind completely dominated my body, but I can't help but look towards that 25 minute run tomorrow and wonder if the runner or the couch potato is going to show up.

runaway
10-06-2011, 11:26 AM
Hi guys, I am new to this and I am hoping that I too can join in with you. I just started the c25k this week. Struggling a bit with it but I am determined none the less! :) I just did W1D2 this morning and I truly feel great. I hope I can make it through this and acheive my goal of being able to run a 5K :) You guys are all so amazing!

geauxgirl
10-06-2011, 01:05 PM
Hey everyone! I'm a noobie to this thread as well. Tomorrow will be w1d3 and so far so good! Ready for that next step!

ingridh
10-07-2011, 12:26 AM
Insidethebeltway - congratulations on making it through W6D2. It's great that you were able to get over your mid-run hump...now you know you can push yourself that little bit further. I used to do long distance swimming (years ago!) and the mental aspect ended up being just as important as my physical endurance. Good luck tomorrow!!!

Hi, to all the fellow Week1 people :)

I did W1D2 yesterday and am doing W1D3 tomorrow. So far so good. I have been doing pilates on running days and then strength circuits on off days. I definitely was feeling tight in my hips and calves but today I felt back to normal. Hopefully I can push myself tomorrow to cover a bit more distance.

aka8941
10-07-2011, 01:18 AM
Week 4 Day 1 DONE. Whew. Week 3 to 4 is a pretty nice jump. It would be so much easier to run if it weren't for all the fat holding me back! I swear when I'm running I have fantasies of it just melting away like butter.

Meeel4121
10-07-2011, 01:27 AM
Redid W5D3 this morning... 20 minutes without pause :-D
Now, on to week 6!

Thinsole
10-07-2011, 07:40 PM
Aka- I'm with you on the fat melting fantasies. I keep thinking how much easier this would be if I weren't lugging around 70 extra pounds.

Meeel- Way to go on week 5, good luck on week six. I'm still intimidated by week 5..

Insidethebeltway- Congrats on finishing your run. I always wonder who's going to show up on run day, but I think the couch potato knows better. (She knows I'll make her workout anyway.)

Welcome all newbies and week oners!

W4D3 finished tonight. The first 3 minutes were the hardest. Once I got through that first set it was a lot easier. It continually surprises me that I don't fall over after running 5 minutes. Of course by the end of next week I'll have to run 20 minutes non stop...*gulps*

InsidetheBeltway
10-08-2011, 09:21 PM
Thinsole: I like how you keep the couch potato in check. :) She'll know who's in charge when your 20 minute run rolls around.

Today was W6D3 -- otherwise known as 25 minutes non stop. It didn't feel magical, but I ran every single second of it. While I can't say I'm addicted to running just yet, I really...really like the runners high. :) Adios intervals, hello another 25 minutes on Monday.

GreatPerhaps
10-08-2011, 10:26 PM
Hi all! Sorry to jump in on this thread, I just have a quick question...

Is it okay to skip a couple of weeks in the program? I wouldn't quite call myself a "couch potato"--I was actually on the track team in high school prior to a massive weight gain in college, and really loved running. I can definitely still comfortably run for a few minutes without having to stop, so the first couple of weeks' workouts look like they may not be challenging enough for where I'm at. Will I mess things up if I just start at W3D1?

I'd really appreciate any feedback. :)

phonymahoney
10-09-2011, 10:46 AM
W1D1 75% done - had to stop because I drank waaaaay too much water before going out to run, and couldn't hold my pee anymore. Would have gone back out, but the Bruins game was about to start, so I'm repeating W1D1 on Monday. Woohoo!

Toonses
10-10-2011, 10:58 AM
Happy Monday to all of you.

I have completed Day 1 and Day 2 ofWeek 4. As Aka8941 stated the difference between week 3 and 4 is noticeable. It was a struggle on Day 1, a little easier on Day 2 and hopefully I can finish strong on Day 3 (tomorrow). I not, I might repeat this week.

aka8941
10-10-2011, 11:15 AM
Week 4 Day 2 is DONE! I'm right with you Toonses!! I'll do Day 3 tonight, then finally start week 5. (A few days behind schedule)

KEEP RUNNING LADIES

Thinsole
10-10-2011, 07:47 PM
Insidethebeltway- Way to go on finishing the 25 min run even if it was sans-magic-feeling.

Greatperhaps- I say do a day from Week 1 and if it feels too easy then on the next run day do a day from week 2. And so on and so forth until you hit "why do I do this to myself?" mode. That way you can skip through days that might not be challenging to you but not jump so far ahead that you injure yourself. Good luck running!

Aka and Toonses- Way to go on week 4 ladies!

Phoneymahoney- Good luck on week 1! I had the same problem when I first started running. I'd get out there and then have to take a mini-run to the nearest potty halfway through.

W5D1 Done! Whoo hoo! I love the runners high. Today I figured I'd have to battle through the run but instead I got out there and felt like I just flew. Sorry Insidethebeltway, I think I stole all the running magic today. ;)

InsidetheBeltway
10-10-2011, 09:33 PM
Thinsole: No worries ;) Congratulations on finishing those 5 minute runs! I can't wait to hear about how you school W5D3.

Today was Week 7, Day 1 -- another 25 minute run. I am completely in shock that two months ago, I thought 60 seconds was challenging and now things only become a struggle after 15 minutes.

justdazed
10-10-2011, 10:19 PM
finished W3D3 yesterday! Had to take it easy after I bruised my foot but slow was good. It will be interesting to see how next week goes!

ingridh
10-10-2011, 10:19 PM
Just finished W2D2 and it was the best day so far. Definitely was helped by the really great weather (I refuse to think about how cold it will be when I run the 5k after Thanksgiving...). I am so impressed by everyone's progress in the later weeks. I can't wait!

justdazed
10-10-2011, 10:46 PM
InsidetheBeltway I felt the same way at the start, although I'm just finishing my 3min runs at this point. How fast do you think you're running?

I waffle between 3.3 & 3.5 (mph?) on the treadmill but I'm thinking it may be too slow...

InsidetheBeltway
10-10-2011, 10:56 PM
Justdazed: There was a point when 3 minute runs were just as horrible as the 60 second runs were. ;) I do all my work on a treadmill, so I walk at 3.5 and run at 5.0 -- with a 1.0 incline.

Keep in mind:
a) I'm all legs. Like a 36" inseam on a 68" body. I can cover more ground than a lot of other people.
b) If you're moving at faster than a walk, it's not too slow. My goal is to complete the program and then work on speed to get my 5K below 30 minutes (since right now it's looking like 36 minutes).

Meeel4121
10-11-2011, 01:15 AM
Nice progress ladies! :D Hope everyone is having a good week!

Finished my last interval run today! It was a hot spring day today and I had this horrible stitch in my left shoulder, so I struggled a bit through the two 10 minute run. Alas, my runners high this time. Hopefully he'll return when I do the 25 minute run *shivers*

aka8941
10-11-2011, 12:33 PM
MEEEEL! Congrats. Running straight now....exciting stuff!@

Week 4 Day 3 getting done tonight.
T

MedChick87
10-11-2011, 01:28 PM
Can I join in? Just started over with C25K this week and I'm going to do Week 1 Day 3 today. I've started it a few times and got up to about week 4 before quitting for various reasons. This time I'm motivated to go all the way!

It's ridiculous how quickly your endurance can increase AND decrease. So far Week 1 hasn't been bad. Ready to move on to Week 2 soon!

aka8941
10-11-2011, 01:31 PM
WELCOME MedChick! Jump right in! Does that mean you're a medical student? If you post on here, I'll be looking for you, and will hound you until you start running again.

InsidetheBeltway
10-11-2011, 01:35 PM
MedChick: I so hear you on the endurance thing. I made it all the way to W6D3 and then went home and stopped running for a week, and slid back down to struggling through W4D1.

Scarlett
10-11-2011, 02:44 PM
Hey Guys,

I'm back. I posted a lot on here and had a great training stretch leading up to my race on 10/2. Right after the race I caught a horrible cold and have been out of commission since.

I can't seem to kick this cold. The worst of it is over but the mucusy feeling and the cough have lingered for days. It's going on a week and a half now.

Today I dragged myself out running for the first time since my race. I completed W6D1. It went better than expected. Hopefully the cold will go away soon and I'll get back on track with my running. This fall weather is amazing.

justdazed
10-11-2011, 07:39 PM
InsidetheBeltway: that sounds about right, thank you! My walk is usually 2.0 - 2.3 with the run at 3.3 - 3.5 comfortably. At the end of week 1 & 2 I was even pushing it to 4mph and felt great (bruised foot this week ick). That's a great idea to have a goal of completing the 5k within a specific time frame.

I'm enjoying working through the training but perhaps a bit apprehensive because I keep thinking I'm not doing it right. At my weight (and previous sedentary lifestyle) I kept imagining the weight would just melt away, which I guess it has via my measurements but not reflected on the scale :?:

justdazed
10-11-2011, 07:41 PM
MedChick87: the endurance thing is killer. W3D2 I was *dead* yet W3D3 was surprisingly good. Starting week 4 tonight. Here's to getting to your goal! :carrot:

Meeel4121
10-11-2011, 09:36 PM
MedChick87 - welcome! I'm continuously surprised at how fast the body adapts! Good luck with wk2!!

Scarlett - hope you're feeling better soon! Lingering colds are the worst.. I've found that a little exercise can clear my head... or even just improve my energy levels

justdazed - I know what you're feeling, weight wise. When I started C25K, my weight loss really picked up, I managed around 2.5 pounds a week for the first 4 weeks.... coming off just walking everyday. It all stopped last week. My limbs were incredibly sore, and even with eating within my calorie range, I gained weight. That was last week, and I still haven't seen a drop since. My measurements have changed tho.
It's so discouraging... I'm at a loss as to whether I'm retaining water, gaining muscle, or need to change things up.

InsidetheBeltway
10-12-2011, 10:31 AM
justdazed: I lost about 6-8 pounds my first 4 weeks of C25K -- the first time around. I stopped at after my first 20 minute run and then had to start over because I took off 2 weeks. Now I don't lose much at all scale wise, and I have to think it's a combination of me gaining more muscle and and those muscles sucking in more water to repair themselves after my longer runs.

At least that's my theory -- I know it's doing good things even when the scale doesn't move because I look better, feel better, can run longer, and it's taken my blood pressure significantly lower.

geauxgirl
10-12-2011, 10:50 AM
Morning all!

I was supposed to be starting week 2 this week but I've been running fever with this sinus infection since Monday. I think once I feel back up to it I will just repeat last week until I get to next Monday then pick back up with W2 again.

aka8941
10-12-2011, 12:26 PM
Week 4 Day 3 DONE.
It didn't go as well as it should, but I'm actually pressing on.

Toonses
10-12-2011, 12:29 PM
Finished Week 4 yesterday morning. Felt pretty good afterwards and heard the Rocky theme when I finished that last 5 mins.

Start Week 5 tomorrow evening. Another challenge to look forward to.

ingridh
10-12-2011, 02:50 PM
Scarlett and geauxgirl: I hope that you both feel better soon!

Finished Week 2 today with another fun run. While my weight hasn't been going down that dramatically (thought at least moving in the right direction) I definitely noticed better endurance during a boot camp style group class I did this weekend. Positive feedback! I also think I'm doing a better job staying hydrated the whole day instead of trying to drink a bunch of water 30 minutes before I workout. Excited to start those 3 min intervals on Thursday :)

Thinsole
10-12-2011, 09:14 PM
Meeel- I'd bank on retaining water. Whenever I'm sore like that I retain weight and in a day or so I get a whoosh on the scale.

Geaux & Scarlett- *sends you vitamin C drops and Green Tea* Feel better!!

Aka- Congrats on finishing week 4! Good luck with week 5!

Toones- I'm loving the Rocky Theme Song. I get so amped up at the end of my run that I usually bop during my cool down.

ingridh- Way to go on finishing week 2. I know small numbers can be frustrating, the good thing is that they add up! :)

I finished W5D2 today. This program makes me constantly amaze myself. 5 weeks ago running 8 min solid...and running 3/4 mile in 8 min...impossible.
Wow...just wow.

aka8941
10-13-2011, 12:26 AM
Week 5 Day 1 tomorrow night! Weight loss has slowed from running...but should pick up again I assume. I'll have to run 3x a week for like, the rest of my life to keep this up. You either become a "runner" or you lose it ALL.

InsidetheBeltway
10-13-2011, 02:58 PM
W7D2 was last night. It was also the first day of my TOM so I wasn't feeling too spectacular anyway. Managed to run 20 minutes and then power walked the last five. I'll see how W7D3 goes before making decisions about whether or not to redo the week. Kind of a buzz-kill though.

Meeel4121
10-13-2011, 05:50 PM
Went for W7D1 yesterday, got 12 minutes and suddenly didn't have the motivation to continue. So I walked the rest of the way.
I have woken up this morning with a sharp pain in my shin, so I'm going to give myself a day off, and then try W7D1 again.
I'm actually kind of surprised that I haven't experienced some sort of injury earlier.

MedChick87
10-13-2011, 07:23 PM
aka8941: I'm not a med student, but used to be premed. I'd still appreciate the hounding though! lol

Got all the way through W2D1 and decided to take a rest day today. I'm so sore!! Will definitely do W2D2 tomorrow. I still can't figure out if I should take a rest day in between every work out or just keep going. I guess I should just see how my body feels? I do want to push myself though.

Great job everyone!!

Toonses
10-13-2011, 09:40 PM
WK5D1 completed. You know it wasn't that bad. It was a little warm this evening (low 80s) but I did it. We will see how things go on Day 2 and especially the dreaded Day 3.

ingridh
10-14-2011, 02:14 PM
Finished W3D1 this morning! I was a little worried because I was using my first pair of real running shoes instead of my normal trainers. I run on concrete sidewalks (I live in the city and I'm not interested in getting hit by a taxi) so I really liked the extra cushioning. It's kind of crazy how much my endurance has improved already from day 1.

Keep going strong, ladies!

aka8941
10-14-2011, 02:21 PM
Week 5 Day 1 DONE!

I'll be back on Sunday...it's my sister's wedding this weekend and yeah...that will take up quite a bit of time. UGHH

Scarlett
10-14-2011, 07:22 PM
Thanks for all the well wishes. :grouphug:

The cold is still not completely gone but I'm mostly functioning.

I completed W6D1 today. It royally kicked my @ss. I could barely walk home when I finished. It felt good to be back out there though.

I'm running a Halloween 5k on 10/29, my family is coming down for it, I even found a suitable costume in my closet (80s outfit from a college party). I need to get back in the swing of training.

Thinsole
10-14-2011, 09:13 PM
Woot! W5D3 complete. I actually did the 20 min run at a slower pace and only managed 1.6 miles all together but I finished it. It was nice to do laps around my neighborhood and pass the same guy out mowing his yard twice! I'm really starting to feel like a runner.

Scarlett- Way to get back to it after being sick! Good luck on your Halloween 5K.

Aka- Way to go on finishing W5D1. Hope you have fun at your sister's wedding. Being in the wedding though (ugh). Bridesmaids dresses make me twitch.

ingridh- I was considering getting running shoes do your's make a huge difference? Right now I'm just using a pair of regular sneakers and they work but not that great on uneven pavement.

Toonses- I was dreading all of week 5 and now that it's done I'm not really worried about what's coming up in weeks 6-9. Once I quit telling myself I was "gonna die, not gonna finish, etc doubts here" and just tried my best I felt a lot better. I hope you get the same.

Meeel & Insidethebeltway- Good luck on week 7!

Meeel I hope your shin feels better.

Insidethebeltway- I hope W7D3 went well for you.

Cheece
10-15-2011, 06:58 PM
Hi Everyone!!

I hope it's ok to jump right in here - you're all such an inspiration! I completed W1D1 today and feel fantastic! About halfway through I was feeling a bit tired, and old me would have got off the treadmill and "come back later" - but I soldiered through, and the second half wasn't nearly as bad as I anticipated. I felt like I had forgotten HOW to run, and I was running very slowly - but I keep reading that there's time for speed later, so I'm not going to be too hard on myself :)

Scarlett
10-15-2011, 07:16 PM
I did W6D1 again today. A beautiful night for running, I went out as the sun set. The cool crisp breezy weather felt amazing.

The run killed me. I ran slowly and barely broke a sweat. My lungs are now back but my legs are another story. I just felt heavy and awkward running. At least Iím now dragging myself out on a consistent basis. Iíll get my mojo back soon :D.

Thinsole Ė GREAT JOB!!! Weíre almost at the same place now.

For me the 20 min run seemed SO INTIMIDATING when I first tried it 2-3 months ago. I was in a state of disbelief after I got through it the first time. You must be on :cloud9: Enjoy the feeling, youíve earned it!!

Cheece - :welcome2:

Good luck with the program. I know the whole thing seems so intimidating at the beginning. Just keep going. Congratulations on getting though the first workout. Youíre right about not going to hard on yourself. I tell myself that any day I get out there and break a sweat is a good day.

Just a tip Ė at the beginning itís normal to feel zombie like/tierd/drained for the rest of the day after completing a run. This will go away after a few weeks. Donít let it discourage you. I definitely experienced this.

Meeel4121
10-15-2011, 08:05 PM
Cheece - Welcome! Good luck for the rest of your first week. Slow and steady ALWAYS wins the race. Don't worry about your speed now, just take it slow, focus on your breathing and making those intervals and you'll do it!

Scarlett - your mojo will come back! I lost mine last week, without dealing with a cold or returning from a period of absence. For the life of me, I couldn't break past that W7D1 run. I'm having another go today, but if I don't pull through, I might redo W6 with the intervals... build myself up to it again.

Hope everyone is having a good weekend! It's Sunday here! A sunny day full of good runs (fingers crossed),beer and rugby(!!!).

Scarlett
10-15-2011, 08:46 PM
Meeel4121 - Thanks for the well wishes. I'm not worried about my progress at all. My entire journey though the program has been like this. I started in May at 216.4 pounds and a 38 min 5k. Now I weigh 186 and ran my last 5k in 33 min and 25 seconds. There's been all sorts of breaks, periods of low motivation and steps backwards. My progress has been slow, but I'm still here putting the runs in and getting some good workouts. It's just about sticking with the program, not giving up and not letting a week or two off turn into months. Don't feel bad about stepping back down to week 6. Just stick with it and you'll get there.

Cheece
10-16-2011, 03:27 AM
Scarlett
Thanks so much for the welcome, and the tip!! For the first few hours I felt really good, like I normally do after a workout, and then I crashed!! I was laying on my lounge room floor trying not to fall asleep at one stage, lol.

Meeel4121
Thank you for the welcome and the well wishes for the rest of my week :) I hope your day of beer and rugby was fantastic -I'm originally from QLD and am now in Tassie, and for some reason everyone down here expects me to be a rugby expert...so far they've been sorely disappointed, lol.

geauxgirl
10-16-2011, 07:26 AM
Good morning everyone! Finally back on board since being sick. I managed w2d1 today and it felt great! Hopefully the rest of the week will feel good as well :D Have a great Sunday everyone!

going2Bhealthy
10-16-2011, 01:00 PM
Hello everyone *waves*

I just completed the first week of C25K last night and I am feeling so positive toward running in general (just like I hoped I would) BUT I'm not sure about starting week two tomorrow... Having read all your posts and how you just keep amazing yourselves with how far/long you can run for with the program is spurring me on to go for it. However, I feel like I'm really suffering during my runs. Not with pain, but with being tired and out of breath. I'm currently suffering form a cold, which obviously doesn't help, but maybe I'm just pushing myself too much and should slow down a bit..?

My bf is running with me and is totally ready for week 2, but I'm running alone tomorrow so I think I might repeat the week 1 schedule and see how I feel come wednesday.

I'm so happy to be on board and I'm SUPER excited to be able to call myself a runner now. Sadly 5k runs are few and far between where I live, but there are 5k, 10k, half and full marathons happening in Milan in April, so I've got months to prepare myself. I want to sign up for the 5k which is labelled as the "little milan" run for kids and older people, haha, maybe if I run with kids I'll look like a better runner than I am eh? ;)

Enjoy your runs people :broc:

Scarlett
10-16-2011, 05:22 PM
I love coming on here and being a part of the encouragement-fest that is this thread. I seriously eat this stuff up. I think of you guys when Iím trying to drag myself outside to run and it gets me moving. Yay for accountability!

I completed W6D1 Today for the 3rd time in a row :carrot:

I felt Ok running, but my breathing was a bit shallow. It was probably from the remnants of this cold. I ran out of breath and my heart rate neared max but I barely sweat and didnít feel that worn out. That almost never happens to me. I usually feel gassed and get nasty sweaty. Overall Iím encouraged by my progress though.

Geauxgirl Ė:welcome3: Back!!

Iím getting back on board after being sick too :hug:

Going2Bhealthy Ė glad you joined us. Do whatever you feel is right. I definitely took longer on some weeks and waited till I was ready to move on. It takes some time for your body to get used to running regularly so take it slow if you need to. Good Luck.

aka8941
10-16-2011, 05:42 PM
Week 5 Day 2 tomorrow! WOOT

ingridh
10-16-2011, 06:00 PM
thinsole: I've only run with them twice so I'm not sure. So far mine feel great. If you're looking to run long term, I would think about having a pair of dedicated running shoes that you were fit for. I went to a running shoe store that had me run on a treadmill to analyze my gait. They weren't too expensive but I'm hoping the cost will still help keep me motivated :)

I finished W3D2 this afternoon and it just flew by. I have been stressed this weekend because I had a flat tire yesterday and had to take it to get fixed this morning before a road trip tomorrow *sweats*. I'm giving myself a little pat on the back for not "stress eating" and for sticking with my running plan even though I felt frazzled. Tomorrow I'll be running in lovely Springfield, IL :) Weight wise this has been a good week. I'm soooooo close to being out of the 160s...can't wait!

I have a general question about cross-training. I came into C25k already working out about about an hour a day - 5 times a week (alternating cardio/strength). Do any of you have thoughts about workouts for C25k "off days" that won't be too hard on my lower body? I did a strength circuit yesterday morning and the lunges and squats felt like they zapped all my juice :(

Toonses
10-17-2011, 11:03 AM
Completed Week 5 Day 2 on Saturday. Plan on completing Week 5 tomorrow morning. I have to get psyched into this. Yesterday I signed up for my first 5k that will take place on Thanksgiving Day.

FunSize
10-17-2011, 02:29 PM
Is this the website you guys use?
http://www.coolrunning.com/engine/2/2_3/181.shtml

I want to start whatever you guys are doing. Do you guys use a stop watch to know your time?

Scarlett
10-17-2011, 04:05 PM
W6D1 done again.

I'm going to try W6D2 tomorrow in order to keep pace with my training schedule. I did D1 by time but plan to do D2 by distance. Hopefully I'll get it done. This one gave me fits last time I tried it.

FunSize - Yes that is the website/program. I personally use a small electronic timer. Therefore I run carrying my I-pod and timer.

You can also download the workouts to your I-pod/I-phone and use that. I just do it one my own. Good Luck

geauxgirl
10-17-2011, 06:42 PM
Thanks everyone!

Funsize - I have an app on my android that I use. It's called C25K pro and it will integrate your music on your phone with the workout. Plus it tells you when to run, when to walk, and cooldown times. It's perfect for me!

FunSize
10-18-2011, 11:36 AM
Alright guys!! I am starting today!! There were no decent apps for my palm pixi so I went ahead and downloaded a couch to 5k podcast mp3. I put weeks 1 & 2 on my phone. Very excited :D Will post how I did!

EDIT!!
PHEW!! Done with Week 1 Day 1!! My lungs are killin' me! I took my 2 puffs of albuterol but it still hurts to breath. Also half way through my left side of my chest started hurting. Why does running make everything hurt?
I ran along a desert path by my house in full sun. I learned a few things for next time:

1.) HAT & SUNSCREEN!
2.) Shoes are TOO small (for my weight, anyway-- When I lose my weight I think the shoes will fit fine again) my left foot has a big fat blister on the back now. I grimaced my way through my run.

Over all? I feel great. When cars passed me by I thought "Yeah! I am finally one of those chicks out running in the full sun while your probably in your car scarfing down fast food!! HAHA!"
(No seriously, whenever I see people running I am so inspired! And now I am excited I can be one of those people if I keep it up!!)

Super pumped for Thursday :) Hopefully my lungs will start getting stronger... Need to go out and buy new running shoes but not sure what kind.. I don't have a ton of money to spend..

Toonses
10-18-2011, 03:56 PM
Week 5 is done! You know it wasn't that bad. After jogging for 10 mins I just got into a rhythm and I zoned out and just kept moving on.

I agree with the sunscreen. I just came back from an appt with my dermatologist and it looks like I was stun by a hive of bees. She froze off so much pre-cancerous spots and took two biopsies. As a fair skinned, red head I do use sunscreen on a regular basis. I told my office that I was celebrating Halloween early and came in as a zombie. Oh well, there goes my modeling career...

Scarlett
10-18-2011, 08:33 PM
I finished W6D2 for the first time ever! :cb:

I ran the last 5 days in a row. I did it by distance but my times were pretty good too. Today was the best I've felt running in awhile. I just felt light and powerful. I got into some stupid argument earlier in the day and it just felt great to get all my frustration out. Dragging myself out to run on a bad day lets me know I can keep this going when times get tough. Usually when I get stressed I panic and feel like I can't afford myself the time to exercise. I feel like the good habits I'm creating are here to stay.

Toonses - you crack me up :lol: :rofl: Congrats on finishing week 5!!!

Meeel4121
10-19-2011, 01:15 AM
Cheece - I'm from Sydney! My dad and brother are pretty into the world cup, so it's been a if you can't beat them, join them situation (lol). Sunday was more of a commiseration than a celebration, ha.

going2Bhealthy - welcome!!!

FunSize- I use the c25k iPhone app. I find that it's brilliant because you can listen to your own music and they tell you when to run/walk, AND it tracks your progress. I find it handy because I would spend the entire run watching the time tick, this way I don't have that. It makes me focus and push through those hard parts.
I always run with a hat on, not just because sun safety has been drilled into my head since I was a little kid (lol), but it keeps me cool in the heat. I feel your pain with the blister! I have a huge one of the pad of my foot. It appears to be a tiered on two... blister upon blister upon blister. I just those blister band aids and extra tape on top for extra protection. Good fitting shoes make a world of distance. The beginning of this year I got a bad fitting for new runners. OMG, the pain! I have fat feet, and these we too narrow. I have permanently scarred heels and toes because of it. Good luck for the rest of the week!

Toonses - I am the daughter of a fair skinned red head, so sun screen is bible in my house. Congrats on W5 and good luck for W6!!!

Scarlett - Yay! Congrats for W6D2!!! :carrot:Running is great for frustration! I find it's the perfect fuel for pushing through the rough bits.

I finished W7D2 today. I think I did W7D1 nearly 4 times, and I finally got through it two days ago, and have so far kept up the pace despite dealing with a horrible blister and cramps. I had to trick myself into doing a really steep incline first, and then telling myself for the rest of the run that if I made it through that, I can make it through the rest of it. So far it's been working.

geauxgirl
10-19-2011, 07:13 AM
Morning all!

W2D2 is in the books although I really really could have talked myself out of it today. (Woke up and it's 40ļ here; could have stayed snuggled up in bed easily) But thanks to my hubby and with some convincing I got it done and I feel much better! Been in an exercise funk all week and just about the only thing I have done was c25k.

aka8941
10-19-2011, 03:32 PM
Week 5 Day 3 tonight. I believe that's just a 20 minute run. That's not really enough exercise for me so I'm going to continue on doing intervals for another 20 min after that.
I've switched from 3x a week to 4x a week, and am hoping to see a big loss.

Scarlett
10-19-2011, 05:29 PM
I attempted W6D2 today but didn't finish.

I got outside, broke a sweat and got my heart rate up. Therefore, it was still a good day. Everything was very wet and a drizzling rain fell. The crossing guard commented that I was hard core for running out in the rain. It made me feel all warm and fuzzy. I’m becoming the annoying fit girl who runs in insane weather :lol:.

Also this morning the scale came down to 184.8, my lowest number yet.

Sometimes when I string several days of consecutive running together, I see a decent drop without ideal eating. I don’t burn many calories but think the running loosens up fat or sparks the metabolism or something. I don’t know, I’ll definitely take it.

Meeel4121 – Congrats on W7D2!! I always play tricks on myself like that too. I run outside though. I tell myself that once I turn the last corner and can see my “finish line” I’ll be able to tough out the rest. If I feel dead early in a run I tell myself that if I hold on a little longer I’ll get a second wind. If a refreshing breeze hits me or a really fit looking person walks by, I say it’s God telling me to keep going . Stuff like that. It works a lot of the time.

Geauxgirl – those days when it is SO hard to drag yourself outside and you manage to have a good run are the absolute best!!! Great Job!! My experience with exercise funks is if I drag myself out a few times and push though, they go away on their own. For me they don’t tend to last that long. Good Luck.

Aka8941 – WOW you’re hardcore. The 20 min run absolutely kicked my @ss when I first tried it. Great Job!

Thinsole
10-19-2011, 09:59 PM
Dang Aka! 20 min extra!? :bravo: I finished that 20 min run and was like *huff* thank God ! *doubled over* it's over! *gasp, puff* Why do I do these thing to myself? *dies*

Geauxgirl- You were my inspiration for not whining off my run today. Thank you! :hug:

Scarlett- Congrats of being the annoying fit girl who runs in crazy weather. I think that needs an acronym. Also congrats on the new weight low! That's awesome.

I finished W6D2 today. My body finished the first 10 min run and was all pleased because I ran my fastest continuous mile...but when I tried to do it again my legs were like no, no no no no! I managed to finish 2 miles in 20:37 so there is hope for actually hitting the 2.2 mile mark Friday.

I think I'm starting to become one of those People Who Run. Yesterday I went out and ran a mile just for *get this* FUN! <-- The mind boggles. :dizzy:

aka8941
10-20-2011, 12:10 AM
I did it!!!!!! HC that was hard. My calves are whining..

Week 6 here I come!

Thinsole
10-20-2011, 12:33 AM
:carrot: Congrats Aka!! :carrot:

geauxgirl
10-20-2011, 07:26 AM
Aka - Great job! The pain means you are doing something right! (At least thats what I tell myself!)

Thinsole - And I'm flattered that I inspired you. I think that may be a first. lol I can't wait until I can get that mentality too!

Scarlet - great job pushing thru with that weather!

Meeel - Hey whatever works! Great job getting it done despite the cramps and blister!

Toonses - great job!

FunSize
10-20-2011, 03:20 PM
Hi Guys!!
Week 1 Day 2 done!!!
Even though I stretched I was still sore from Day 1's run on Tuesday... :o But by the middle of the run I felt my muscles more relaxed and I was running a little faster each interval :carrot:
There was a glitch though. My c25k podcast stopped on me half way through my run but I wasn't exactly sure where it stopped! I did the rest myself counting 60 sec/90 secs, etc. But I was gone for over an hour so I know I did way more than I was suppose to! But I feel really good. I just love being outside. It's just so beautiful here (to me). Running/walking along looking at the vast desert, mountains, etc. I think that's what makes it a million times better for me is the scenery. Much better than just walking by houses on my street.

Looking forward to day 3, then week 2!! :D

Toonses
10-21-2011, 08:12 AM
Yesterday - Completed Week 6 Day 1.

Thinsole
10-21-2011, 08:24 AM
Way to go Toonses! For some reason after doing W5D3, W6D1 smacked me in the face.

Tonight W6D3 and 2 miles continuous even if it takes me more than 22 minutes. Looking into 5K races since the end of the program is in sight. The idea of running 3.2 miles still makes me slightly nauseous. :dizzy:

FunSize
10-21-2011, 02:13 PM
Anyone else's weight loss stopped when they started the program? I've been stuck at the same weight since Tuesday. I know my WHOLE body is sore so I am sure I am building muscle...( I hope..)

aka8941
10-21-2011, 03:24 PM
Fun Size:Yes, it can slow when you start. For me, things started to pick up around week 3/4 on the weight loss front. When I reached those runs, weight loss was really easy along with diet. Now that I'm on week 6, things have slowed down again. What week are you on??

Scarlett
10-21-2011, 07:26 PM
W6D3 Done!! :cb: :carrot:

Iím officially done with intervals. It wasnít even that bad. Iím now on :cloud9:

I also tried out my new i-pod shuffle. I LOVE it. The ipod clips on to my clothes and I no longer need a timer. Therefore my arms are now freed up. I feel even more like a runner.

Aka8941 Ė :congrat: on finishing the 20 min run!!! That workout is such a milestone in the program. Be Proud!!

FunSize Ė I started the program in May. I ran 5-6 days a week and cleaned up my eating a bit. A HUGE step forward for me as Iíd never run outside in my life and was painfully out of shape. I didnít lose anything for the first 3-4 weeks. My running improved but my waistline didnít. I stuck with it and told myself Iíd complete a 5k even if I had to do it at 216 pounds.

My runs then got a little longer and the eating a little better and the pounds started coming off. Iím now down over 30 pounds. Losing weight is 99% diet. The exercise helps with other things (ie mood, general health, empowerment etc) but wonít help you lose weight all that much. I never adjust my calories for runs because I donít burn enough. Those first few ďnon-losing: weeks laid the groundwork for later losing. Iíve now managed to stick with c25k and diet (mostly) for the past 7 months.

Mommywannabe
10-21-2011, 07:29 PM
Hello all! I am a newb to C25K. I know about it and have always wanted to try it.. well today at the gym I decided what they heck, I'll try. I did W1D1 and it was actually fun! I'm really excited to continue :)

FunSize
10-21-2011, 07:30 PM
Fun Size:Yes, it can slow when you start. For me, things started to pick up around week 3/4 on the weight loss front. When I reached those runs, weight loss was really easy along with diet. Now that I'm on week 6, things have slowed down again. What week are you on??

Just on week 1!! Day 3 tomorrow. I am so sore everywhere! Part of the reason is, too, Is I am doing it out in the desert. Some areas are very sandy, rocky, I am jumping over little washes if I come across one. My body just isn't use to maneuvering like that let alone exercising LOL
Hoping I see the scale budge tomorrow..

aka8941
10-21-2011, 10:57 PM
Scarlett is right, diet is where it's at!

Week 6 Day 1 DONE!
That one was ALL mental like you guys said.

I can't even remember week 1 or 2, it seems so long ago.

ingridh
10-22-2011, 10:52 AM
Finished W4D2 yesterday afternoon! I took the advice of a friend, who runs long distances regularly, and focused almost entirely on my breathing. I think that keeping my mind off my tired legs helped to get me through those 5 min sections. I have got to say that running this fall has been such a nice way to enjoy the weather. Even when it's a bit chilly, having a run scheduled pushes me to get outside.

I agree with others that diet is the most impart of weight loss for me. I have been losing weight with C25k but I felt SOOO hungry the first few weeks that it was tough to stick to my calorie count. I took a look at my diet and have been trying to eat a more balanced dinner (also threw in some extra fruit/veg during the day).

Toonses
10-22-2011, 11:11 AM
Week 6, Day 2 done this morning.

I agree with ingridh. Just concentrate on your breathing, listen to some music or a podcast, and just pick up the feet and move. My sister-in-law is training for a half-marathon and that is the advice she gave to me and it is really working. I now need to concentrate on pushing myself a little harder and work on my speed. I feel I am still just a clydesdale out there shuffling my hooves.

FunSize
10-22-2011, 11:36 AM
Week 1 is done!! It's so much cooler outside at 7am than 9am!! So nice!!

And... about my previous post about the scale staying the same since starting C to 5k. This morning my weight was up 1.5lbs!!! Weird!! I am not freaking out though because this is the best I've looked and felt in 4 years. I know it's just water weight. My calories have been averaging 1200-1300, so I am good on diet.
I know it's only my 3rd day but I can tell my legs are leaning out more and I can really see the benefits so far of C to 5k!!

aka8941
10-22-2011, 11:44 AM
way to highlight the positive FunSize!!

Scarlett
10-22-2011, 05:22 PM
I tried W6D3 again today and failed miserably.

I just had no gas in the tank. I'm gonna take tomorrow off and try again Monday. Now that I'm getting into the longer runs, I'm going to give myself more rest days. At least until my body gets more used to these distances.

I guess this is how the program goes, one day you're over the moon about completing a 2.25 mile run. Then the next day you can barely run a mile. It's just a minor setback.

Meeel4121
10-22-2011, 11:54 PM
Scarlett - I know how you feel. W6D3 as a stumbling block for me too, it took me a few tries, but eventually I got it. I taught me a major lesson too... that taking a break during a run is no help at all. Continuous running is the way to get it. Good luck!

FunSize - I lost at the beginning of the program (4kg/8+ pounds, in the first four weeks, and then 2 weeks ago it slowed. It's a combination of water weight, your body adjusting to the movement and the calories it's consuming with it's limited intake, and muscle. I didn't lose weight for two weeks, but all of a sudden I had muscle on my thighs, and my knees were thinner (I know, knees! the weird places you loose weight). It'll pick up again. Sore muscles correlates to water retention. lemon tea might help.

Finished W7 yesterday, going for W8 today! I run outside, and actually ran out of track, so I'm increasing my distance... it's a nice humid day for it too

geauxgirl
10-23-2011, 07:51 AM
Morning everyone! Just started w3d1 today and wow. I can honestly say that was the first time I've ran 3 minutes consecutively since high school (ahem, 20 years ago)!

Legs are a little wobbly now but I feel great! I'm kinda intimidated by the 5 minutes coming up next week though. :dizzy:

Scarlett
10-23-2011, 07:15 PM
Meeel4121 - that is EXACTLY what happened. I took a break and couldn't get my mojo back.

The past few days haven't been pretty diet wise. TOM is due, stress, uncertainty, some tough decisions and lots of candy around. Not a great combination.

I plan to get back on track tomorrow and have a great run. :crossed:

flashfacts
10-23-2011, 09:40 PM
Um, hello :wave:

I've been peaking at this thread over last month and found it very encouraging, and thought now would be a good time to post here since I followed the official C25K program for the first time today. For the past 3 weeks I've been doing my own version on an indoor track at school, where I walk a lap then jog a lap but I wasn't sure how to take it (slowly) to the next level. Well, long story short, I found a podcast that follows the C25K program and off I was :D

I was wondering, for those of you who jog outside, do you think jogging on wooded trails are okay? Since this was the weekend, I went to a nearby park instead of the track and did the program there and I really enjoyed it. I was just a little worried that the inclines and curves through the woods might not be the best place for me at the early stages. I mean, I didn't really notice any negative effects, and felt I got a little more out of my workout, but I thought I'd ask. (I would only be at the park once a week anyway, so the other 2 days would be on the standard track.) Thanks.

aka8941
10-23-2011, 11:16 PM
Flashfacts-It's all about what you are comfortable with. If you really enjoyed it, then do it! This should be fun, and I wouldn't worry about the inclines and curves unless you find they are causing injury.

And congratulations on deciding to do the program! You only have a bit of weight until goal, and this will most definitely help you on your way!

aka8941
10-23-2011, 11:18 PM
Week 6 Day 2 done! I struggled a bit on this one. I really didn't want to keep going on the last couple minutes of either 10 min run, but I did it anyway. I'm finally feeling the burn on my FRONT, chest area and stomach, rather than just my back fat. lol.

TMI

anyway...good night!

Meeel4121
10-24-2011, 04:40 AM
flashfacts - Welcome! Good luck with your first week! I too run outside and not on a treadmill, for a number of reasons. Last year I was running on a treadmill- ended up with a stress fracture. This time around, running outside, because I'm going up hills, inclines and declines, I've managed to avoid the same thing happening again. Apparently running outside is good for your balance and bone density. Treadmills eliminate the bodies need to balance itself, and absorbs some of the impact of running (impact is good for bone density which is good in preventing osteoporosis!). This is all according to my GP btw, so don't take this as gospel.
Besides, those inclines and declines work different muscles. Which should result in some pretty nice legs ;)
But like aka8941 said, it's about whatever you're comfortable with! You'll be surprised at how fast your body is going to get used to those inclines and declines!

aka8941 - W6D2 gave me the worst chest pains. Not like heart attacks pains, but I felt like I had been working my upper body, not my lower. Yay for pushing through! Good luck W6D3!!

I'm supposed to be doing week 8 at the moment, but we've been having really hot weather. Our mild spring has turned into summer with humidity, blazing sun and hot winds! So I haven't run 28 minutes yet. I got close yesterday, around 25 minutes, but I only got 15 minutes into today before I had to stop. I was so hot!
What a bizarre realisation I had tho - the idea that I was stopping running not because my legs were hurting or I couldn't get breath, but because my insides were melting and my skin burning from the sun.

Toonses
10-24-2011, 10:10 PM
Week 6 completed this morning. Jogging 25 mins was pretty intense, but I did it. On to week 7!

geauxgirl
10-25-2011, 07:12 AM
Good morning all,

Did not quite finish this morning. Had to run back home for a bathroom emergency. With that last "sprint to the finish" I got 3 out of 4 of my runs in.

Do you think I need to repeat today? And should I do it tomorrow or skip a day and repeat it on Thursday? Or can I just move on to w3d2?

FunSize
10-25-2011, 10:42 AM
I am suppose to start week 2 today but not sure when/how thats going to happen! DD doesn't have pre-school this morning and that's when I usually do it. Hopefully my husband will get home early enough from work. Then i'll just have to do it at night. Curious to see what Week 2 feels like!

BernJohnson
10-25-2011, 01:04 PM
Hello All.....

I am new to the forum, but I enjoyed the posts so much I decided to join.

I started my C25K program on Sept 18th and have managed to stay on schedule so far! I'm doing W6D2 this evening after work.

The first few weeks were brutal.....but Im so glad i stuck with it. My calves, ankles, and feet have finally stopped aching.......and i can finally really enjoy the runs.

W5D3 was the most intimidating, but i surprised myself and made it through......it gave me such a sense of accomplishment. Im not breaking any land-speed records for sure.....but i've gotten my speed up to 5 Mph consistently......and hope to boost that with some more interval training after I finish the 9-week program.

Im early in my weight-loss journey......but i'm down 7 pounds (all of which i attribute to c25K)....and I have definitely noticed some firming and measurement reductions.

aka8941
10-25-2011, 10:16 PM
Heeey BernJohnson!!!!

Welcome. Welcome. Welcome.

Jump right in, track your runs, tell us all about it.

aka8941
10-25-2011, 10:19 PM
I did Week 6 Day 3 tonight, and I stopped around minute 14, for about 15 seconds. And was SO mad at myself, but I kept going, so I'm going to call it a finished day. It was so weird, just going one lap, then two, then 8, then 10. Holy goodness I'm a RUNNER! I'm in pretty o.k. shape!!

MidnightRaven
10-25-2011, 10:46 PM
I stopped the program after week 9 day 1 - I didn't time things quite right, so I ran a 5k after W9D1. I had to walk some of it - outside, hills, and cooler air were a bit different than inside on a treadmill! - but I finished in 37min. Not the speediest time, but I finished it. I can't wait till Thanksgiving day, I'm going to try and beat this time! :)

Good luck to everyone else working through C25K!

flashfacts
10-25-2011, 11:14 PM
Well, I did W1D2 today and I think it went pretty well :D lol, my legs are all tingly and it feels great.

I was on the indoor track this time, which was interesting since, unlike when I did W1D1 outside, I could actually tell the distance I was going on each interval. I think my challenge for now is going to be keeping pace early on so I don't lose steam at the end. I like to run fast and before when I was doing my own version of intervals (jog a lap/walk a lap) I always did my second to last jogging lap as a full sprint because I love how it feels. But since I wasn't 'saving up' energy for my sprint I started rushing my first few times without realizing it. I was able to catch myself this time and was steady for the rest, but I have a feeling this will come up again.

aka8941 and Meeel4121, thanks for the advise! That makes me feel a lot better and I look forward to getting out into nature on the weekends :)

Meeel4121
10-26-2011, 12:32 AM
BernJohnson - Welcome! Personally, I've found the 2nd half the program easier... getting into the movement of running for longer periods of time and achieving that lovely runners high, it's definitely worth the sweat and soreness!

Flashfacts - I had to remind myself to slow down in the beginning to, but, you will be amazed at how fast your body adapts. You'll gain endurance and will naturally go faster, which I agree feels way better.

Hope everyone is having a good week! Ran W8D2 today (omg, week 8! already!). It felt good, the low point was the slightly harassment I received form a group of people. I honestly don't care about what they were doing because really it was more of a reflection on them and not me, but I'm a bit shocked that they thought to comment and mimic, when I myself wouldn't dare, let alone think to do that to someone else. I won't lie, in my mind I was giving them the finger (and noting their macdonalds take out with slight distain), but I restrained. I'm quite proud that I can run 28 minutes and not feel like dying afterwards. At the end of the day, that's all that matters.

I hope everyone is having a wonderful Tuesday-slash-Wednesday!

BernJohnson
10-26-2011, 09:06 AM
Meeel4121 - I commend you on your great attitude and the restraint you showed towards the harassment. You are absolutely right....its a reflection on them and not you.

I ran W6D2 yesterday.....and it was rough. I've found the intervals at the beginning of week 6 to be harder than running the 20-minutes straight on W5D3......I just keep telling myself that if i made it 20 minutes, i can do the intervals! Maybe these intervals are part of building up my body to handle the longer runs? Whatever the case.......it tells me I've come a long way, but there is still hard work to be done.

Hope everyone has a great week!

Thinsole
10-26-2011, 12:44 PM
Toonses- I know what you mean about shuffling. I swear sometimes I feel like I' barely moving.

Scarlett- I can't wait for the candy to go away, unfortunately it will probably be replaced by turkey and pumpkin pie. But at least I'll get a couple weeks reprieve.

Aka- I'm glad I'm not the only one feeling the chest/core burn. I was actually starting to get a little worried. The last few runs I've actually felt my core heat up.

Flashfacts and BernJohnson :welcome:

Meeel- I have to say you make Australia sound like a forbidding place to run. I'm slightly afraid for you. Congrats on the way you handed the hecklers. Were they like 14? Because if they were older (and eating McFatties while heckling a runner) that's just sad. Karma baby, karma.

I finished W7D2 today and actually made the 2.2 miles in 25 minutes. My first mile was 9:49.

I think I'm suffering from a mental block though. When I start my run I keep thinking I need to moderate my pace or I'll run out of gas before the second mile. But when I try to moderate my pace I'm just as tired by the second mile as I am when I run normally. I think I need to get over the idea that I won't finish, for whatever reason, and just go after it. The mental whibbling about the difficulty has gotten less throughout the program and I do enjoy the runs so hopefully I'll break through my Can't thoughts.

Besides, I've run 2 miles straight twice!

aka8941
10-26-2011, 01:28 PM
Starting week 7 tomorrow.

Thinsole- yeah, cut out the mental quibbles! you can do this! Yeah I didn't start getting the chest burns until week 6. But I kinda like it now, because I feel like my boobs are getting smaller. lol At the beginning of the program it was all legs, now the core. I like this much better

FunSize
10-26-2011, 01:44 PM
Week 2 Day 1 done! The first 90 seconds felt SO long.. I kept waitin' for the guy on my podcast to tell me to slow down to a brisk walk.. felt like forever!

I still feel so out of shape! 90 seconds of running shouldn't be that hard but it's not that I am out of breath, it's just my body feels like a thousand pounds. My legs feel like lead!

At this point I can't even imagine running for 5 minutes!! But I hope I get over that fast.

Toonses
10-26-2011, 03:26 PM
Week 7, Day 1 checked off. I actually was not paying attention and jogged for 28 mins instead of 25. It was the mid 40's and the wind was blowing in my face, but I did it.

Tammy7
10-26-2011, 04:17 PM
I started the C25K training program last week. My goal is to run the Gobble Wobble in November. I am not sticking to the program per time but listening to what my body is telling me. I can tell my endurance is building but now I am have the worse knee pain. Will this go away? I think I am becoming an ibuprofen junky now. Any suggestions to help with the knees? :?:

HALLOWEEN GOAL : 220

tdiprincess
10-26-2011, 07:52 PM
Hi all! This seems like a really cool supportive thread! I've started c25k before, but never finished. Earlier this summer I tried to interval train on my own and ended up hurting my knee a little bit. Everything's all healed up now, but I'm ready to get going. I think the program is a great way to do it!
Today was w1d1. It felt great to get back into it though!

Meeel4121
10-27-2011, 12:18 AM
BernJohnson - I totally agree with you. Intervals are harder than running straight. You gotta love that runners high.

Thinsole - The thing that made me think it was bizarre is because we live in a city where people run to work (I live in Sydney). My suburb is 60% park and running track. So, it's not weird to see people out running. It's actually the norm. I am thinking that they were just being morons. They were around my age, so 20 or younger.
Mental blocks are annoying. I went through one all of last week. Zero motivation. But, I moved through it. You can do it!!

FunSize - Wait until you finish Day 3. 90 seconds won't feel as long. You can do the 5 minutes. The program is a build up, so each level feels hard at first, but it's amazing how fast the body adapts! Have faith! You'll get there, and you'll run those 5 minutes, AND the 30 minutes at the end of the program! Good luck for the rest of the week.

Tammy7- Make sure you rest in-between runs! Are you stretching? Knee pain can mean that you're not stretching your hamstring. That, or your pushing yourself. I wouldn't move faster than what the program does, not without a doctor saying it's a-okay. It's not worth hurting your self! I hope the pain goes away! Maybe a nice hot bath will help with the pain?

tdiprincess - Welcome! Enjoy you're first week back!!

FunSize
10-28-2011, 02:00 AM
Don't know what's gotten into me but I was feeling super inspired after watching past seasons of Biggest Loser on Netflix.. and yesterday night I ran for 7 minutes straight (I did Week 2 Day 1 that morning) and then tonight on my "rest" night, I went for a 14 minute run!!! I ran for 14 minutes straight!!

I know that's totally off plan but after seeing how hard those people work on the show I just felt like "bustin' my butt!".

I am still sticking to the schedule but I am feelin' so proud of myself. Now the 3 minute runs next week don't seem so intimidating!! LOL

MariaMaria
10-28-2011, 02:29 AM
Please be careful, FunSize. Just because your cardiovascular system is up to the super-quick increase in mileage (and the two-a-day run) doesn't mean your musculoskeletal system is. And you'll find out whether that's the case by getting injured. As written, C25K progresses really really quickly, faster than a lot of reputable beginner running programs.

Remember that TBL contestants do not, erm, always come out of TBL all that healthy. I stopped watching when the 20-something blonde, partner of Tara, was overtrained into a broken hip/hip fracture. At 25. So for those few extra pounds, she's looking at a lifetime of hip issues now.

geauxgirl
10-28-2011, 06:39 AM
Well finished w3d3 today. I had a slight miscue this week. I ran tuesday but only got 3/4 of the way in. I decided to repeat that day on Wednesday and my legs felt like lead. I'm not sure I can run two days in a row. Wednesday was quite a struggle. The only struggle today was getting out of bed.

That being said I'm so so nervous about week 4. Running 3 minutes straight to running 5 minutes seems like a huge hurdle. :dizzy:

HMM3
10-28-2011, 10:03 AM
.. I want to start C25k again. Reading these posts are inspiring. I'm going to start tomorrow.

BernJohnson
10-28-2011, 10:16 AM
I completed W6D3 yesterday.......the 25 minutes straight was tough but attainable! I never would have believed I could do this a few months ago.

I agree......I've definitely started feeling it more in my chest/core now that the calves/ankles/foot soreness has gone away. I've also noticed that my lower back is sometimes sore after a session.....looks like I need to work on back strengthening exercises to even everything out! It's funny how much more aware of my body (and individual muscles) I am now.

Good luck everyone.......have a great weekend.

aka8941
10-28-2011, 12:16 PM
okay....so I went out for week 7 Day 1 last night...and it was utter failure! I could only run like 15 minutes! Workouts are always harder for me before TOM, but this was ridiculous. It's like I had never run before.

This is the first time in the entire program I wasn't able to finish a day. I'm GOOD at this usually

what do you all suggest? try it again next time? or go back to week 6?

Thinsole
10-28-2011, 02:06 PM
YES! Week 7 is complete! This last run was :censored: but I pushed through and even managed to run an extra 16th of a mile in the 25 min. Not much granted, but since my whole run felt like a run through jello I'm happy I managed to even keep up with Wednesdays time.

Next week is the 28 min runs. I'm sure 25 min will seem like a picnic after those. Must remember the days when 20 and 10 min runs made my legs wanna cry and feel proud of my (rather ugly, but finished) run today.

Toonses
10-28-2011, 04:21 PM
Week 7, Day 2 is completed. I ran a different course this morning and it went really good. Even though it was dark and spooky, the change took my mind off my run and I plowed through with no problems.

Meeel4121
10-28-2011, 05:30 PM
aka8941 - I'd try it again. Pre TOM is a pain for me to when running. I just kept attempting to do that day until I finished it. Or could repeat W6. It's totally up to you - do whatever you feel comfortable with. Key is to not give up. It's completely normal to stumble a few times - everyone does at some point. Don't lose heart - you can do it!!!

Finished W8. I'm a little sad that next week is the last week!

flashfacts
10-29-2011, 11:45 AM
Hey guys! Wow, reading everyone's comments is really inspiring. It makes me feel like I can really do this too.

Did W1D2 yesterday. I think I was better about keeping pace this time and not rushing, but that might have been cause my foot was a little sore from walking around in dress shoes all day for a conference. Haha, some of the hills in downtown Richmond are no joke, though why some of the streets are still cobblestone I'll never understand :?:. Still, it was nice to just let the stress of the day go and just work out and my foot started to feel better when I got into better shoes.

I think I might try for a real 5k in December. There is a Toys for Tots event in town, and it would be during my 8th week. I figure I could just run my normal program and walk the rest. Since its a charity event and walkers are welcome I don't think I would feel too strange doing it, but I like the idea of running with other people and the cause is good. It also gives me something to strive for and a reason not to put working out off.

Looking forward to week 2 tomorrow and will let y'all know how it works out :D

ingridh
10-29-2011, 03:31 PM
Finished Week 5 yesterday! During the run (including warm up and cool down walking) I made it 3 miles so I'm really pleased with my progress. I usually have trouble with weight loss during the holidays so I'm hoping this program will help. I've been thinking about how much tougher it would have been to run those 20 minutes carrying 5 or 10 extra pound weights (and how much easier it will be when I'm at my goal weight!).

I'm registered for two 5k runs in Thanksgiving. Yay for race shirts!

HMM3
10-29-2011, 04:51 PM
I started this morning W1D1 - felt great .. ... at the moment I'm going to use the treadmill at the gym (I think it is easier to get all the intervals right) .... Do you guys brave the elements or use a treadmill?

geauxgirl
10-30-2011, 08:17 AM
w4d1 went alot better than expected! I'm THRILLED that I actually did this! 5 minutes at a time. Did not think I'd be doing it this well when I first started c25k. Now, mind you, I'm not very fast, but I figure once I finish the program then I'll start working on time. I'll keep doing what is comfortable for me and right now 3.5mph is just about right. I usually walk about 2.8-2.9 so I suppose anything faster than a walk is better.

HMM3 - Great job! I do it outside in the wee hours of the morning. Honestly I'm too intimidated to run on the treadmill in the gym. I'll stick to the elliptical there and my c25k in the morning. In. the. dark. :D

flashfacts
10-30-2011, 04:58 PM
Finished W2D1 and I thought it went great. I was running outside at the park and found a much better trail than I used last week, which was a big plus. Anyway, I was afraid that 90secs would be too much running, but was pleasantly surprised to find that that wasn't true. The first 90 sec run was hard, but after that my breathing settled into a rhythm and I was fine for the rest of the time.

Do you guys brave the elements or use a treadmill?
Ha, for me I would say do you run outside/on a track or do you brave the treadmill! I don't know why, but I can't do more than walk on a treadmill, and even then it takes all I have in me not to hold on for dear life. So yeah, I mix between an indoor track and outside.

This is kinda of a silly question, but its it just me, or does running make your nose run?

Scarlett
10-30-2011, 08:25 PM
I havenít been on here in awhile because I didnít run at all last week. It seemed every time I wanted to run something came up (weather or otherwise). On Friday I spent $87 at Dicks on fall running gear. I guess Iím turning into a runner because I felt like a kid in a candy store looking at all the cute sneakers and running clothes. I got a super cute (and warm) pink under armour pullover, some pants and long socks. I hope that knowing I spent so much will push me to get some more runs in before the weather completely turns.

Yesterday I completed a local monster dash 5k race after not running for several days. The weather was horrendous and included 40 degree temperatures, heavy rains and strong winds. I felt so amazing running my Halloween 5k in this weather. The event boasted a huge turnout of 1000+ last year. About 100 people showed up yesterday to run in these conditions. They needed to change the course due to heavy flooding. Running one way down the boardwalk we got sandblasted like crazy and could barely see. Coming back the wind pushed us and I took in the sight of the violent ocean. I wore my Dadís huge tacky ďGordonís FishermanĒ yellow rain coat. For me, the ridiculousness of running in these conditions made it even more fun. People actually ran in costumes and carried props. They estimated that the re-routed course ran 2.75-2.9 miles. I finished in 30 min and 33 seconds, which is a damn good time for me in any weather. Iím still feeling the ďempowerment highĒ from doing this crazy race yesterday.

I hope to do W6D3 tomorrow

Thinsole
10-30-2011, 11:17 PM
Awesome Scarlett! That run sounds amazing. Wind, rain, and people running around in costumes...now that's a 5K!

Toonses
10-31-2011, 09:59 AM
Week 7 completed Sunday morning! I was struggling during the last few mins, but I got it done and I am looking forward to starting Week 8.

Today I am dressed up like a old cheerleader. Another co-worker and I ordered real cheerleader outfits with the initials of our Division on them. We have support hose on, funky wigs, glasses and fake cigarettes. It is pretty hilarious! Have a Happy Halloween everyone.

tdiprincess
10-31-2011, 06:00 PM
Hi all! It's been a few days. Looks like everyone is making some nice progress!
I finished w1 today. It did seem to be easier today than day 1, so that's good!
I'm excited to start w2 on Wednesday. I think it'll go good though!

I'll check in on Wednesday, after my run and tell ya how it goes! :carrot:

aka8941
10-31-2011, 08:34 PM
I'm redoing week 7 day 1 tonight. I'll come back straight after to let you all know I MADE IT!

aka8941
11-01-2011, 12:56 AM
I MADE IT! Note to self:running on an indoor track is not the same thing as running on pavement. Week 7 Day 1 DONE.

Meeel4121
11-01-2011, 02:24 AM
Ran W9D1 today. Not going to lie, I'm a little it proud that I've made it to the last week of the program

geauxgirl
11-01-2011, 07:04 AM
Way to go Meeel!

You all are doing great!

W4D2 is in the books for me. Felt good!

aka8941
11-01-2011, 09:49 AM
You should be proud Meeel! Any plans for after graduation?

Geauxgirl-You're on your way!!

fyreflie24
11-01-2011, 10:06 AM
Hey Everyone!
I started working with a trainer who suggested I start running. I registered for the Jingle Jog in early December so I need to get going!

I started C25K about a year ago and had an unrelated injury and just never returned. So I'm back! Will start W1D1 later today.

Any advice to a newbie?

Toonses
11-01-2011, 01:30 PM
Finished Week 8, Day 1 this morning (5:30 am). It was very cold and the last five mins I had my head down pushing through 25 mph wind gusts. There were leaves and limbs flying around. I did it though!

When I started C25k, 28 mins of running was just too much to comprehend. But, if you put your mind to it, you can do most anything.

Word of advice ladies. Even though I use a ton of sunscreen, on a daily basis, I have been diagnosed with basal cell carcinoma on my nose. I go in for Mohs surgery within the next few weeks. I have had this type of surgery before and it is no big deal, but please be careful and take the time to put on some sunscreen (even in the fall/winter). Ok, I will get off my soap box now....

Thinsole
11-01-2011, 06:26 PM
Ran W8D1 today and I'm not sure how I feel about it. I finished the 28 min run, actually ran almost 34 min because I was determined to hit the 2.75 mile mark.

I'm discouraged because in the beginning of the program I was on pace with their suggested time and distance. Today I was 6 minutes slower than the guideline for C25K. I know I'm being nitpicky. I should be happy that today I powered through over half an hour of running when 4 weeks ago 5 min solid was a challenge, but...

Ugh...get the blue mood cooties off me!!

Toonses- I never even thought about needing sunscreen! It's still sinking in that I spend half an hour outside running 3x a week and that (if it were summer) would add up to a nice tan. It being fall the tan is a little slower but I'm still getting a face full of sun!

Meeel- AMAZING! That is a huge accomplishment! Only 2 more program workouts to go lady!

Geauxgirl- Way to go on week 4! You're almost halfway through!

Aka- Way to get W7D1 done. Just think...only 8 more workouts in the program!

ingridh
11-02-2011, 12:31 AM
Hey group! It's been a couple of days since my last post but they were certainly excitement filled!

I experienced a perfect storm of a W6D1 on Sunday (too much to drink on Saturday, not enough sleep, running on crazy banked sidewalks) contributing to intense hip pain starting as soon as I started the second walking interval. I managed to keep going but the last 10 minutes were not pretty.

I felt much better on Monday and so went ahead and did W6D2 on a trail. Got through it without any trouble. The mental anxiety from worrying about returning pain has been bugging me. I think I just need to make sure I'm running on even surfaces and keeping up my core strength on off days so my hips aren't wiggling around too much. It's crazy how quickly I have gotten the running bug! I took my full rest day today so hopefully I will be 100% again for W6D3.

tdiprincess
11-02-2011, 01:25 PM
Awesome work everybody! Seems like there's some good progress going on.
I'm thinking I'm going to take a rest day today, since I have a cold. I will do W2D1 tomorrow and then d2 on Friday, if I'm up to it. Today I may just go for a walk though.

Thinsole
11-02-2011, 09:26 PM
ingridh- Way to work through the pain to finish your run. Dehydration is one of the fastest ways to make a run torture for me. I know what you mean about the running bug too. When I first started this program I was like pfft, I'm a Clydesdale not a Mustang, I must crazy to try this. Now I'm looking at how many races I can get in before it snows.

tdiprincess- Hope you feel better! The cold is going around at my work and I am swatting the germs away with green tea.

Ran W8D2 today inside on a track. Made all 2.75 miles in only 29:55. My 1st mile was 9:52 instead of the crappy 11 min of yesterday. I pushed myself a lot harder and it made a huge difference to have reference points for how fast I was going. Going to try W8D3 outside on Friday and hope for a time somewhere between today's and yesterdays.

BernJohnson
11-03-2011, 08:35 AM
Good morning ladies!

I finished W7D2 on Tuesday, and W7D3 yesterday......i know i was supposed to take a rest day yesterday, but my weight training session got moved and I was worried about not being able to fit the 3rd run in.

W7D3 was definitely rough.....running two days in a row really makes a difference! I had to stop and walk briefly.

Cant wait to start W8.......28 minutes straight!

aka8941
11-03-2011, 09:12 AM
It's Thursday and I still haven't done w7d2 or d3. It's midterms week so I've been focused on other things. Today is my last test, so I'm DEFINITELY running tonight. It's time.

Toonses
11-03-2011, 11:37 AM
Completed Week 8, Day 2. Another cold, windy morning brrrrr. I dressed in layers and was pulling stuff off and unzipping as I was going. I still find it hard to believe that I am running 2.75 miles. What the...

Not too bad for an ol' grandma of 4.

dirtybluebird
11-04-2011, 08:55 AM
Good evening all you experienced C25K's,

A quick question. I've noticed a couple of you haven't done it three times a week, but instead have done it back to back more often (with a couple of break days thrown in). I was wondering if when you do this, you do week 1 for a week, then week 2 for a week etc, or just move progressively through it (week 1 day 1, 2, 3, then a break day, then move on to week 2).

I ask because we've final exams on at the moment (down in oz our uni year is feb till november), and running is the only time when my mind is not on law. I've been doing it daily, but don't want to hurt the muscles by overworking them too soon.

(I've also been pairing it up with the 30 day shred dvd. Sore, achy muscles is addictive! )

geauxgirl
11-04-2011, 09:00 AM
Morning All! W4D3 is in the books and I tell you it was quite a struggle this morning. It was 39ļ here but I bundled up and did ok with my layers. I was really struggling with the actual run though. I did finish though.

I have a question about speed. I go really slow. My average walk speed is 2.8 and my runs usually hover around 3.4-3.6. Do I need to be trying to increase my speed in both walking and running at this point? What can I do to increase speed but not to wear myself out too quickly? I'm worried that at this point if I ever get to a 3K it would take me about an hour to finish it!

Thinsole
11-04-2011, 10:26 AM
Dirtybluebird- When I first started the program I needed the break days in between mentally and physically. But the point of the program is just to get out and move. I would suggest running no more than 3 times a week to start. You need time for your muscular-skeletal system to get used to the impact and your respiratory and cardiovascular system need to become more flexible as well. Check out http://www.livestrong.com/article/476148-how-running-changes-your-body/ and http://www.runnersworld.com/article/0,7120,s6-238-267--13625-0,00.html for nifty info on how running changes your body.

Geauxgirl- I'd try not to worry about speed too much until you hit the long run at the end of W5. See how far you run, or how long it takes you to run the distance and go from there. The program stresses that whether you're going for distance or time the important thing is to finish the days workout and work on speed later. But I get antsy about it too and generally try to beat my previous workouts time. If you're running on a treadmill up your pace a little each run. Push yourself, but don't hurt yourself, that way the worst that will happen is you have to repeat a day.

I'm trying to find the gumption to do W8D3 but I'm pretty sore from the 2 days of running back to back and then massive weight lifting yesterday. Maybe I'll put it off till tomorrow and try to run the course for the 5K I'm thinking of signing up for. I have until the 10th to decide and the race is on the 12th. I'm worried about getting a walking time though because the course has some hills in it and I am not prepared for hills.

Ah well, will find out tomorrow.

dirtybluebird
11-04-2011, 05:41 PM
Thanks thinsonle! Looks like I'll be stuck with Jillian everyday, and my own head every second day for a bit more. Ah well!

Cheece
11-04-2011, 08:57 PM
Hi Everyone!!

I'm still here - starting week 2 on Monday!! Finished week 1 yesterday after a few stops and starts due to my work schedule, and am feeling very positive. I love reading all of your posts - such an inspiration :)

aka8941
11-04-2011, 09:21 PM
did w7d2 last night. Doing d3 tonight, and tomorrow. I just need to get weight off so I'm working out every day.

ingridh
11-04-2011, 11:46 PM
Hey everybody!

Finished W7D1 today. I'm really glad that I've been able to keep up with the program. Today was not "easy" but I finished and will hopefully be back out there on Sunday!

dirtybluebird: I have alternated days doing C25K except for back to back runs on Sunday and Monday. This fits with my work schedule because I only work from the office on Tuesday and Thursdays. I do a little bit of cardio (20-30 minutes) and then strength training on off days. I agree with others that you need to do what works for you. I think taking those rest days has helped me get through without any bonked runs.

aka8941: Congrats for successfully getting back out there! I finished grad school this spring and I remember really struggling with diet and exercise during busy periods.

aka8941
11-05-2011, 01:19 AM
does this program really make you fit? can you really be fit while still being overweight?

how do I get FIT? should I keep running and bridge to 10K? it takes so long, this whole process.

geauxgirl
11-05-2011, 07:49 AM
Thin - thanks! I'm running outdoors so the only way I can tell how fast I'm running is the announcer on my app so I can kinda judge by that... if it's accurate! And that's kinda what I thought too (about worrying about speed later). I just wanted to make sure I am doing this right!

Thinsole
11-05-2011, 09:40 AM
Aka- Every time I find myself with a case of the "this is taking forever!!!!!" I remind myself that I did not get fat overnight. I've been steadily gaining weight for 13 years, it will not melt off in 6 months. Much as I would like that to be so.

I didn't consider C25K to be a program that would get me fit, more something to start me on the path to fit. I do know that I feel fit-er since starting, and that once I've finished W9 I have to keep running 3x a week, every week, faster, and longer, and hillier, to keep getting weight loss benefits. Personally I plan to start on the pre-training program for the Beginner 10K program.

Whether someone who is fat can be fit I have no idea. But I know that when my within-healthy-weight friend challenged me to a 2 mile race during week 7 I beat him.

I beat him good.

HMM3
11-05-2011, 02:39 PM
Hi all,

I have just finished Week 1 ...

I couldn't get to the gym today to do my usual 45 minute cardio so I went for a slow jog instead. I managed 30 minutes without stopping ... :)

My question is .. should I jump a few weeks in the programme or just continue on with week 2 ? I did week one on the treadmill with a little bit of resistance.

(This is the second time I have done the programme last time I worked up to doing a few half marathons a few years back - so know it works and I want to do it properly - would it still be properly if I jumped to week 4?) ...

HMM3
11-05-2011, 02:55 PM
does this program really make you fit? can you really be fit while still being overweight?

how do I get FIT? should I keep running and bridge to 10K? it takes so long, this whole process.

Aka ... the C25k was the beginning of the journey the last time I felt truly fit, healthy. I think it gives you options to continue on with running/jogging which leads to greater weightloss and fitness ..

Meeel4121
11-05-2011, 09:18 PM
Hey everyone! I'm just popping in quickly to say hi sand see everyone's progress!
I'm about to start my finals at uni, so my progress on Wk9 has been slow. I've managed a run every day, though a combination of studying, heat and this persistent blister on the sole of my foot has stopped me from getting to the 5k level.
That being said, I've found that running has been the best stress relief this week. My anxiety is normally through the roof during finals season. Not so much this semester. Looking back over the past uni semester (13 weeks, 16 weeks including exam period), I'm quite proud to say I've gone from walking for 60 minutes to running for a comfortable 30 minutes, and have lost a total of 9kgs in this semester. So, I feel like I'm leaving this semester of uni on a good note. Even better if I can scramble some good grades!

Aka - I think the C25K is good at starting the 'getting fit' progress. For me, it's proved to me that I can actually accomplish something that I've thought was out of my reach all of my life. I'm eyeing the Bridge to 10k to follow up the C25K... I'm more than a little worried that without the established weekly increases i intensity that I'm not going to continue this progress of running. B210K, and maybe a summer gym membership (because it's looking like a humid summer!)

I don't think that fit is linked to being fat or thin. There are plenty of athletes (heavy weight boxers, rugby players, to same a few) who are heavy men who can run and have great stamina. On the flip side, many of my friends are stick thin and are so unfit. I'm properly the fittest of my friends, and I'm classified as overweight, when they aren't.

HMM3 - Welcome! I would suggest that maybe do W2D1, and if at the end you've found it easy, move on to W3. You're not a newbie, so skipping a week shouldn't be a bit problem. Just as long as you're giving yourself a rest here and there and not hurting yourself.... making yourself do easy weeks just because may discourage you from finishing the program out.... good luck!

dirty bluebird - I followed the program up until W5. So run, rest day, run. That helped my body repair, and helped me avoid shin splints and whatnot. As it got easier to run, I started to run more often. At the moment I'm doing some sort of running 6 days a week. Properly not the smartest move because my knees are killing me and I've got some seriously sore thigh muscles, but I am starting to get hooked on that running high.
BTW - You're a uni student in Aust too? Ha, my exams start tomorrow. Running, and not baking like last semester, has been my procrastination. My legs are not happy, lol. How have you found the 30 Day Shred? I'm considering giving it a go.

Hope everyone is having a lovely weekend!

aka8941
11-06-2011, 03:18 AM
Thanks for all the feedback you guys! Very inspiring. I have to remember this is a life long change.

much love

geauxgirl
11-06-2011, 07:51 AM
Good morning everyone.

W5D1 is done. Didn't do too bad either! Although I am freaking out a little bit about day 3 later on this week. :barf:

aka8941
11-06-2011, 04:18 PM
doing week 7 day 3 tonight

Toonses
11-06-2011, 04:58 PM
Week 8 was completed yesterday morning (39 degrees). It was so cold. I was bundled up, but when I removed all of my clothes my skin was ice cold.

Tomorrow morning will be my first 3 mile run. I am actually looking forward to this challenge. I can not believe I am at the end of this plan. It just seemed like such an impossible feat.

dirtybluebird
11-07-2011, 04:11 AM
Woot, way to go Toonses!

Its the opposite over here both ways.

One, it was 29 celcius (84.2 F according to google) when I went running (I had to wait till 7pm as well, for it to 'cool down'). Horrible! Plus, I've only just finished W1D3 (or D4, I swapped iphone apps after the first) and I was exhausted. I think that I may need to go run myself an ice bath.

Thinsole
11-07-2011, 12:26 PM
Toonses- That is awesome. Just think only 3 workouts left!

I skipped my W8D3 run because of a combination of things. Must keep reminding myself not to wait on other people and just say "I am leaving at ___ o'clock, be ready or not." The good news is I did get out to the 5K course I WILL be running this Saturday (12th). Bonus, I got to run it today.

So W9D1 workout was running my first solid 5K. And I finished in 37:12...there were even hills!! I am so, so proud of myself.

And I can't wait till Saturday!!

Toonses
11-07-2011, 01:24 PM
Good morning ladies.

Well I ran my first 3.1 miles this morning. Once again it was cold, but I was bundled up. My time was not all that great (37 mins), but I did it! I have two more workouts and then will continue running 3 miles every other day. I will start working on my time once I feel more comfortable with this distance. I started running at 5:00 am and when I got home, my husband was still asleep, but I shouted, "I did it, I did it." That woke him up. He was very proud of me and got up to celebrate. Little victories are so fulfilling.

aka8941
11-08-2011, 01:16 AM
1,000 congratulations to Thinsole and Toonses!!

Week 7 finally DONE!!
Let week 8 commence

tdiprincess
11-08-2011, 01:09 PM
Congrats to thinsole and tooneses!!! That must be such a great feeling!!

Let's see, I'm finally feeling better so yesterday I completed w2d1! It went pretty good. Only once my sides got a little sore.

Question: Does anyone else use vibram 5-fingers? I just picked up their pair of running shoes the bikala's I believe. It will take me a month or 2 before I'm ready to try them out for running since you have build up. But, it'd be cool if anyone else has them or are trying to use them. Just thought I'd ask!

Later chickies!!

aka8941
11-08-2011, 11:20 PM
week 8 day 1 done!!!

light shin annoyance on my run last night. I got Florence and the Machine's new album on my ipod, and I think that's what kept me going! I didn't even check the time until 24 minutes in, which really helped mentally. I usually check it around 15 minutes and I get all nervous because I have so far to go.

BernJohnson
11-09-2011, 09:50 AM
I finished W8D1 and W8D2 so far this week. W8D2 was a great success!! I even added two additional minutes so i could hit my 30-minute straight goal a week early......and I felt great afterward......I even felt like I could have kept going for a few more minutes. On a slightly less positive note, I ran in new shoes (Asics Nimbus).......and I have never been more sore the next day. Not sure what the problem was, perhaps less support?......but I guess it's back to my trusty Brooks Adrenalines.

Congrats Thinsoles and Toonses! Great work!

Toonses
11-09-2011, 11:45 AM
Great job everyone! You guys are awesome.

This morning finished Week 9, Day 2. Ran 3.1 miles in 37.58. I was slightly slower this run. I had a funny mild cramp in upper right thigh. I feel fine now, but I was wondering that since it was another cold morning (40 degrees) that this might be the reason I was tightening up a bit. Will complete the "program" Friday morning (11/11/11).

Thinsole looks like we are neck to neck right now. You are doing great. You have to be so proud of your accomplishment.

Keep going girls...

Thinsole
11-09-2011, 01:17 PM
Aka- Way to go on what sounds like a great W8 workout! I can't tell you how many time the music on my ipod has saved my run. That thing is worth it's weight in gold.

Toonses- We are so close! I did my D2 run today too and was crampy and sore. I was wondering if it was just because of the longer runs. Running in cold weather like that doesn't help though. Good luck with D3!

W9D2 today started in light rain. Once I got a mile from my house it started to downpour. I was too stubborn to go back home and call it quits so I ran the rest of my 3.1 mile course in the rain. I was a complete puddle by the time I got back but I had a blast! Here I am running around like a kid through puddles and people are actually slowing down!! as they drive by to gawk at the crazy runner woman. I think by the time I got home I was carrying an extra 10 pounds of water in my clothing! LOL.

The downside being that my ipod paused my time sometime through my run so I have only a rough idea of how fast I ran. Ah well, it was worth it.

tdiprincess
11-09-2011, 07:23 PM
Thinsole: I love doing the program in junky weather! It is so empowering! If you can do it in a downpour then you can do it on a warm sunny day! :D
Awesome job! (be careful of the iPod though!)

I completed w2d2 today. It went very well. I am starting to train my feet for the fivefingers. I practiced landing on the ball of my feet. I can definitely feel it in my calves tonight! Friday I am planning on starting in the fivefingers and carrying my sneakers with me. If it gets too bad, I will switch during the run. I think I will do that 1-2 days a week for now and then build up to 3 since they recommend taking it slowly because you're using different muscles.

Anyhow...later chickies! :carrot:

KelStand
11-09-2011, 08:45 PM
Hello!
I am a newbie. I have read your posts and I am very interested on how this program works. Can you tell me or point me in the right direction to find out?

Congrats to all of you for your success!!! Losing weight is NOT easy!!

CindyB
11-09-2011, 10:54 PM
Hi, another newbie here. :-) I'm desperately trying to find some kind of exercise that will work for me. I like walking, and I used to like running (years ago).

My question is this: Do you have to constantly be looking at your phone (or ipod) while you're running? In other words, are there timers or something on the display that guide you as you go along? I only ask because I don't know if I can hold it in my hands the whole time and constantly look at it. I would be afraid of dropping it.

HMM3
11-10-2011, 01:54 AM
Hi Cindy ..

You can get the c25k podcasts which you can download onto your ipod and it tells you when to walk and when to run ...

If you have an iphone there is an app that you can listen to your own music and still have the cues as well ...

You get the information of the podcasts on the c25k website.

Meeel4121
11-10-2011, 03:31 AM
CindyB - I use the iPhone app, locked my phone, chucked it into my bra and did it. Looking at the time always makes it go slower! Good luck!

geauxgirl
11-10-2011, 06:40 AM
Morning everyone! I honestly did not think I could do it but I plugged on. W5D3 is DONE! :carrot:

Legs are a bit wobbly now but I am OK with that lol

dirtybluebird
11-10-2011, 07:44 AM
Evening lovelies!

Tdiprincess, aren't you worried about hurting your feet? I read that you were only meant to train indoors until you wear them. Or maybe it was something similar, and I just construed it that way because I'm a softy.

W2d1 today, after two days off. One of them I did the Jillian michaels killer butt and thighs, and for already sore body it's a killer indeed. But a run was just what I needed after the big exam I had today. There is also z certain amount of pride I think in saying that, makes me sound like a real runner!

Toonses
11-10-2011, 10:11 AM
CindyB - I have a Sony Walkman that I download podcasts and music, and it has an FM channel in case I want to listen to the radio. I use my sports watch that has a timer on it and when I am ready to jog I set it and check it periodically. I also wear a HRM monitor/chest strap. So I have a watch on my right wrist, a HRM monitor on my left wrist and the Walkman in my pocket. Even though I am "armed" with all of this technology, I rarely look at anything. I just concentrate on the task of jogging and not tripping over my feet or something on the road.

I do love listening to podcasts. I listen to NPR or Farmer Fred (I am an avid gardener). Those podcasts are about 45 mins long. I just get tuned into the programs and before I know it, the run is over.

aka8941
11-10-2011, 01:15 PM
Week 8 Day 2 tonight!

dirtybluebird
11-10-2011, 06:20 PM
Cindy, I use an app called c25k (appropriately enough). I think it's about three dollars from the app store, but there are similar trial versions around for free. It allows you to listen to the music you have on the iPhone, and then dims it out periodically to me to start running/walking. It also gives you a halfway there encouragement, and a heads up just prior to your last run. I don't think I've ever looked at the time using this (I bought a waterproof case and just keep the iPhone in my bra).

I noticed that I'm apparent running much slower then I an walking- by about 3kph. Anyone else getting this same result?

aka8941
11-10-2011, 10:08 PM
just did week 8 day 2, and did some free weights afterward!

Thinsole
11-11-2011, 12:06 AM
Aka- Way to go! You'll be ready for a 5K in no time!

Geauxgirl- Congrats on finishing week 5. It won't be long and you'll be done with the interval training.

Kelstand- http://www.coolrunning.com/engine/2/2_3/index.shtml

Cindy- When I first started I checked the time a lot but I recommend the podcasts or an app. Once you get into the longer runs it's not a problem.

dirtybluebird
11-11-2011, 05:01 AM
W2D2 today. I think that I answered my own question there too, about the speed of running. I altered my style, kicked up my heels quite a bit and apparently ran twice as fast as yesterday. But boy, can I feel it.

Ah well. At least when I'm running I don't need to be thinking about exams!

CindyB
11-11-2011, 08:58 AM
Thanks, folks, for the info. I believe I will give this a try. At my size I'm not sure I'm ready yet to run, but we'll see. You'll probably see me back here soon.

And congrats on those who have been successful so far. Reading this thread has been very inspiring!

Toonses
11-11-2011, 11:10 AM
Well I did it, I completed the C25K Program this morning (3.1 miles completed in 36.41). As I was jogging along I was truly enjoying the scenery (since it was light outside). I was just humming along, getting into my groove and loving the empowerment I felt. I started this program marveling at others accomplishments and wondering if I could ever complete this daunting feat, jogging 3.1 miles. I want to encourage everyone who is attempting this program. You can do this! It can be difficult at times. I jogged in heat, rain and extreme cold, but I completed my weekly jogs. It definitely was not pretty, but who cares.

I am a 54 year old grandmother who set out to lose weight February 2010 because I wanted to get healthy and be around for my grandchildren. I have pushed myself every step of the way. I challenged myself and will continue to do so. In March I am riding a 65-mile bicycle ride and two weeks after that I am riding my first century (100 miles). My training program starts in January.

I have been lucky to have had the support of my husband, who continues to praise my accomplsihments. I also have four adult children who are bewildered at their mother's transformation, but are very supported. The best comment I received was from my 5-year old granddaughter, who told me I was getting too skinny and had too many muscles. Well that grandma can now run around with her grandchildren (four of them) at the playground and go down the slides with them. They love it.

But the best thing, is that I really did this on my own. I got up at 4:45 am most mornings and was out there beating the pavement in tight spandex running capris (what a sight). I will continue to run 3.1 miles every other day and will participate in my first official 5k on Thanksgiving Day. I will continue to get strong and healthy. I will continue to look forward to challenges that will push me. And I will look forward to a long and healthy life.

You ladies rock! Keep on moving.

HMM3
11-11-2011, 01:20 PM
Congratulations Toonses!:carrot::carrot::carrot: Very inspiring :)

flashfacts
11-11-2011, 07:04 PM
Hey everybody!

I haven't posted in a few weeks, since I've been letting my foot rest. I had some pain in the top of my right foot after doing too much walking in my ballet flats and thought it best not to run until the pain was gone. I tried Monday, but it was still bothered me a little, so I ended up just biking :(

But today (with the help of a new pair of shoes) I was finally able to do W2D2 with no pain, so I'm happily back on track :D I was relieved that the time off didn't make the run noticeably harder. I admit I was pretty worried that I would have to move back to week one.

Toonses, that's awesome and inspiring! Way to go :D

tdiprincess
11-11-2011, 07:18 PM
Toonses: Awesome work!! I bet it felt SO good!! :carrot:
Dirtybluebird: I did some more research on the subject of barefoot training. It is recommended to go slow. I'm planning at the moment to wear the five fingers out to stores and walks but to wait until spring to train to run since it takes training barefoot. They actually do not recommend running barefoot once the ground is cold because your feet will go numb and then you won't feel any pain. Due to that, I'm just going to start working on trying to remember to run with my forefoot in regular sneakers for now. I've seen runners doing this, so it can be done. That way it will be easier to transition in the spring time.
There are a ton of barefoot websites out there. The best one I've found so far is this one: The running barefoot website (http://therunningbarefoot.com/begin-here/)

Anyhow.. looks like everyone is doing really good and making progress! Today I completed w2d3! Monday will be onto week 3! Time is really flying, which is good 'cus I REALLY want to push myself too much too soon! HA!

Scarlett
11-11-2011, 08:52 PM
Iím still around. I have 3 upcoming races. I started south beach phase 1 (no carbs or sugar) a week ago and it messed with my running. I still ran the past 5 days in a row and did the best I could. Today I ran 1 mile, stopped then ran maybe another half mile. I figure getting the runs in will help me to not lose my progress. At least this diet is making me lose like crazy. Hopefully once I'm back on carbs I wont miss a beat.

Toonses Ė congrats. What an amazing accomplishment. Youíll probably do great in 5ks my running buddyís mom often runs races with us. The mom almost always wins her age group. I always think that when I become older I want to be like her, doing the races and winning all the age group prizes.

Tdiprincess Ė I want to get into minimalist running as well. I know itís so much better for strengthening your feet and preventing injuries. My next running shoe will be the nike freerun 2+. Itís not a true minimalist shoe but they are pretty close. I tried them on and really liked them. Also the freeruns got great reviews online. Once Iíve adapted to these shoes I may go a bit more minimalist. Weíll see. My brother wears the vibrams and the problem is they smell so bad. Even when he cleans them they still smell like feet. I need to wear socks.

tdiprincess
11-11-2011, 08:58 PM
scarlett: I wonder why they smell so bad! The website I posted seems like a great beginner place. The reason I bought the vibrams is for the same reason, to strengthen my feet! I have 2 friends that own them as well. The one used to have horrible knee and hip problems and now he's just fine after wearing the vibrams. I had some knee and hip soreness issues as well and I'm hoping these help. I have already strengthened the muscles surrounding the knees and hips and they've gotten better.
It's hard because I really want to use the vibrams for running, but I'm hesitant due to the cold up here. Maybe next week or so.. LOL!

Thinsole
11-12-2011, 06:29 AM
Toonses- Congratulations! Completing the program is a major accomplishment and it is awesome that you are going to keep going and pushing yourself. Pretty soon your list of accomplishments is going to be getting pretty long! Good luck on your training for your century ride.

Well, I'm leaving to go run my first 5K which marks the end of my C25K program. I am so nervous. Just have to remind myself I've run the course once already. I've run 3.1 miles twice already. Once in pouring rain! I can do this!

Scarlett
11-12-2011, 09:04 AM
GO Thinsole!!! Good Luck!! You can do it!

aka8941
11-12-2011, 11:35 AM
I'll be finishing sometime next week, but haven't signed up for a 5k. Honestly I don't have the money for sign-up, as a tuition bill is looming. BUT I will be either Bridging to 10k, or Easing to 10k, and honestly IDK which to choose. Anyone know anything about that or have plans to continue with one of these?

Thinsole
11-12-2011, 12:05 PM
Woot! I survived! Learned an important lesson about not underestimating myself though. I put myself toward the back of the pack of 10 min mile pacers. Big mistake, I had to spend the first mile of the race jostling through the walkers and slower joggers.

The walk/joggers entertained the heck out of me. They'd zip passed me then start walking. I'd pass them and they'd start jogging till they got ahead of me, then walk again, only to have me pass them again!

But it's done and so is my C25K program.

Aka- I think I'm going to spend the next three weeks just running 3.1 miles then try the pre-training for the Cool Running Beginning 10K program. It's a regimen of 2 non consecutive rest days, and then four 4 mile runs and one 3 mile run a week. The first bit of course is working up to a 4 mile run!

Toonses
11-12-2011, 06:56 PM
Thinsole - Congratulations! :congrat:

Thanks for sharing the information about your organized run. I will be participating in a run in a few weeks, but will be going with two experienced runners and will start with them, but will slow to my pace after the first mile. I know what I am capable of and I will not push myself.

We had an exceptionally beautiful day here in Northern CA. Finished about 3/4 of my Christmas shopping today and then worked in the yard. Planning on a nice run tomorrow morning and then vegetate and watch our San Francisco 49ers. Hope you all have a great week.

flashfacts
11-13-2011, 12:49 PM
W2D3 done! And wow, its great to see people doing so well :D

It was a beautiful day here, prefect temperature and leaves falling everywhere. I'm really starting to love running at the park on the weekends, even though the trails are harder than the indoor track I use during the week.

aphil
11-14-2011, 07:09 AM
I'm a long time 3FC'er, and a former moderator here. Just wanted to introduce myself-I'm Amy (aphil) and I'm in maintenance, but I've recently decided to go out of maintenance and drop another 10 pounds to reach 140 pounds-my original goal when I started at 233.9 pounds was 160. I then changed it to 150 and have maintained since June, and now I'm wanting to go a little further.

At this point, it is more about fitness with me-and I've recently started the Couch To 5K program, as it is one of my newer fitness goals to run a 5K race, and eventually a 10K race.

Yesterday I finished week 2, workout 3. I am doing the version that measures distance, instead of time.

Hope to get to know you all better!

Amy

tdiprincess
11-14-2011, 07:01 PM
Thinsole: Awesome work!! I was looking at the 10k program a bit, but it will definitely take some time to accomplish! Keep up the great work!!

I completed w3d1 today. I was very nervous to do the 3 minutes, I'm not exactly sure why either! Also, once I got to the 3 mile mark, I completed the last .3 mile home barefoot! I have to say that it was a lot of fun! It was drizzly when I left for the walk. As I was finishing up it started to thunder and rain pretty good, but I was just getting home, thankfully!

See ya guys later! Keep up the great work!! :carrot:

aka8941
11-14-2011, 09:34 PM
Finished week 8!! YAAAY! Just one more to go.

canuckgirl7
11-14-2011, 10:17 PM
Week 1 Day 1 completed! After numerous starts and stops to this program in the past I am determined to get through it

Thinsole
11-14-2011, 10:39 PM
Hi Aphil! Congrats on week 2.

Aka- Week 8! You are almost there lady! I know the race registrations are soooo expensive.

tdiprincess- Way to go on going barefoot. Congrats on W3D1 too! I had the rain and thunder happen in reverse. Went to go for my run today and just as I was finishing my stretching evil dark clouds and lightning. I ended up running inside.

After looking at the Cool Running 10K plan and asking around I found an intermediate 5K program (http://www.halhigdon.com/5K%20Training/5-Kinter.htm) which is actually harder than the Beginner 10K but doesn't require the lead up running the CR plan does. The Sunday runs make me nervous though.

geauxgirl
11-15-2011, 07:08 AM
Good morning all. I really struggled this morning. My calves hurt really bad for some reason. I only managed the 5 min walk and 1 - 10 minute run before throwing in the towel. This week looks like it may be a repeater. :(

aphil
11-15-2011, 09:50 AM
There is no shame in repeating a workout or a week! That is why they recommend you not schedule your first race 9 weeks out from the start of the program! Nothing wrong with taking an extra week or two through this-we are not professional athletes! xo!

Just finished week 3, day 1!

Toonses
11-15-2011, 12:26 PM
Great job ladies!

I agree with Aphil. It is ok that you repeat a day or week. My first official 5k run is on Thanksgiving Day and I added two weeks to the program. I am not a professional runner, and will never be one. I just wanted to complete this program, no matter how long it took me. Remember we are doing this for ourselves.

josiesmom2011
11-16-2011, 03:47 PM
Cindy, I use an app called c25k (appropriately enough). I think it's about three dollars from the app store, but there are similar trial versions around for free. It allows you to listen to the music you have on the iPhone, and then dims it out periodically to me to start running/walking. It also gives you a halfway there encouragement, and a heads up just prior to your last run. I don't think I've ever looked at the time using this (I bought a waterproof case and just keep the iPhone in my bra).

I noticed that I'm apparent running much slower then I an walking- by about 3kph. Anyone else getting this same result?

Dirtybluebird...... where did you find your waterproof case? I use my Iphone for the couch25k and i have the otterbox cover on it..... i run on a treadmill so i can put my phone on it but as my runs get longer i don't want to stare at my phone time..... do you know if the otterbox is waterproof.... i also use to put my ipod in my bra.... but i flooded 3!!! lol dont want to do that to my phone.... i sweat A LOT! lol

tdiprincess
11-16-2011, 11:18 PM
Hello all! It seems like everyone is moving along nicely!! :D
josiesmom- the otterbox is water resistant. It should do just fine with the sweat! LOL. Once I dropped my iPhone in a tub inside the otterbox and it was fine.

Today I completed w3d2! I have to say I think d2 is always the hardest day for me. The second rotation by the end I was quite tired out! But, I did complete it, so that's good! I also spent about 10 mins walking/jogging barefoot. I have to say that I think I like the blacktop better than the grass LOL. Although, it may have been because the grass was quite cold!

aka8941
11-16-2011, 11:39 PM
just attempted week 9 day 1. Didn't make it the entire time, because I was going too fast. I'll redo it, and slow down this time.

ingridh
11-17-2011, 09:50 AM
Hey group!

I haven't posted in a while because work has been craaaazy. It's only going to get worse before the holidays :( Anyway, I am pleased to say I have been keeping up with my running. I finished W9D1 yesterday. This was the first run I have done in the dark (even though it was only 6pm...thanks Chicago) but it went fine. I even saw a raccoon next to a golf course. Have another run scheduled for Friday and then a Turkey Trot on Sunday. Exciting!

aphil
11-17-2011, 06:32 PM
Finished Week 3, workout 2 today. Did it with no problems at all. I'm confident about the final workout this week, which I'll do Saturday. I'm a little more worried about how I will do NEXT week with the 1/4 and 1/2 mile intervals!

flashfacts
11-17-2011, 10:31 PM
aphil hey, I also did W3D2 today! It went great and now I have that tingly feeling all over from a great workout. Next week though...

1/2 mile/5 mins! :dizzy:

tdiprincess
11-17-2011, 11:29 PM
I agree with you two! I am nervous about next week! LOL. But, we will get there, literally one step at a time :D

geauxgirl
11-18-2011, 07:07 AM
Morning all! Didn't get to post yesterday but I did make it all the way thru W6D3 yesterday!