Old 07-11-2011, 09:07 PM   #1  

S/C/G: SW210/CW189/GW115

Height: 5ft

Question How and How Much???

Looking for some inspiration!!!

So how much did you lose, how long did it take, and how did you do it? Weight loss shouldn't be rocket science but lately if feels that way to me Just having a lot of trouble finding the right method for me. One thing I do know is that these last ten lbs. I just gain are making me feel horribly sick and I need to do something about it Hoping some of you ladies help give me a kick in the butt and get me motivated!
luckyme0510 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2011, 09:20 PM   #2  
getting back to healthy

S/C/G: 167/ticker/120

Height: 5'3"

I am not at my GW, but I have lost 30 lbs as of today. I started on January 25th. I have stuck to the tried-and-true method of tracking calories in vs. calories out. I figured out approximately how many calories my body burns (basal metabolic rate + activity) and subtracted 500-750 calories from that number. You don't want to slash your calories too dramatically (esp not all at once) or else your metabolism might slow down. I try to eat at least 3 meals and 1 snack (2 snacks if I remember) to keep my metabolism going throughout the day. I also write down everything I eat with the assistance of a food scale.

Re: exercise, I enjoy running and taking long walks with my dog. I also like following yoga videos, the Biggest Loser workout DVDs and the 30 day shred. I try to exercise at least 4-5x a week, but it depends on how busy I am.

Best of luck with your weight loss journey
Cookiebear23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2011, 09:44 PM   #3  
Beautiful, Sexy, Skinny

S/C/G: 320/Ticker/200

Height: 5'10

I have pcos, I calorie count and watch my carbs i.e tend to not go over 45% of my cals from carbs. I have lost approx 50 lbs since jan. It works for me, my loss is defo slowing though. Wil need to tweak soon!
SMSDREAMER2007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2011, 10:27 PM   #4  
Running for my life

S/C/G: 240/140

Height: 5'6"

I lost 101 lbs. in a year with the boring old calorie counting and increased exercise. No magic, no rocket science, just paying attention to my body, caring about my body, and researching everything I could find about nutrition.

I have never fallen for all the hype or fad diets. I read everything, digest it, and then decide what makes sense for the long haul and what doesn't. I truly think that losing weight is made more difficult than it has to be. Moving more, eating less, worked for me.

Good luck with your goals!!
milmin2043 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2011, 10:47 PM   #5  
Up.Forward.Higher.Always.

S/C/G: 235/ticker/130's

Height: 5' 5"

My weightloss has been a bumpy road to say the least. My highest weight was about 6 years ago. I lost 70 lbs, maintained that for a while, gained 30 back, maintained that, lost 50, lived in China, gained 10 back, maintained that and now, have lost 20 lbs and am in the final stretch towards goal. See? Bumpy is kind of an understatement!

Like previous posters, I have done the boring but effective calorie counting. Both calories going in and calories going out. I educated myself about nutrition, macronutrient ratios, calorie deficits, hormones, etc, etc and through trial and error found what seems to work best for my body. I also eat whole foods and avoid excessively processed foods whenever possible. Exercise also helped me a ton. Not only in the physical sense that it burns calories, but also in a mental sense. It always gives me a sense of a$$-kicking power that I just can't find elsewhere. I walk away feeling like yup, Imma get it done today! But maybe that's the endorphin high from spin class talking .

I would say that "finding the right method for you" is only going to happen once you jump in and just start trying things. Happy 'jumping'!
tuende is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2011, 06:31 PM   #6  

S/C/G: SW210/CW189/GW115

Height: 5ft

Congratulations on your weight loss all of you!... I believe losing weight, especially after you've been overweight for a long time, deserves a medal or something. People who haven't been through it don't understand how much will power it truly takes to lose weight... and keep it off. Kudos to you all!

Calories in vs. calories out train of thought seems to be the winner here, which I figured... it makes the most sense. I just feel uncomfortable with it because it gives me too much room for error. I find myself eating things I shouldn't eat just because they fit into my calorie range... which leads to other big no no's because I can never have a normal portion size of unhealthy food. It's a bad bad cycle. I believe in myself so much... I can't believe weight has been able to defeat me time and time again. I really do think sugar has drug-like effects on the body... I'm totally addicted.
luckyme0510 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2011, 01:09 AM   #7  

S/C/G: 225/175/140

Height: 5'6

i'm just about at 70lbs, its taken me since April 2010. A bit slow, but eh i'm ok with it.

Calorie counting, cutting the garbage out, exercise was huge.
luciddepths is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2011, 06:49 AM   #8  

I've lost 25 pounds or 11 kg in the last two years.
I started in late 2009 after major surgery and lost a few pounds, then maintained. I was so unhappy last summer with the way I looked that I started losing weight again and I was at 146 until November 2010. My life turned upside down a bit after that and I moved in with 4 of my friends (who like to eat) for 6 months. I am actually suprised I didn't gain more I was at 156 in May 2011. Since then I've been slowly losing a little something every week.
I started running, cycling outdoors, doing the stairmaster or some form of cardio for 30-60min every day. I also do some body weight exercises and pilates when I feel like it. I think that my weight loss would be significantly less effective without exercise. If I move, I lose weight.
I eat a clean, vegetarian, whole foodish kind of diet, I don't count anything, I'm just aware. I have some very low calorie days, I have some high carb days, I have some ''only fruits and veggies'' days, I have some party all night long days.. It just depends.. I don't really plan anything.
I started doing IF these last few weeks and I must say I feel even better. I eat from 2-9pm, I never binge because I'm just not that hungry..
I do know that I feel much better when I eat healthy and exercise at least a bit. My downfall is maintaining but I'm much better at it then a few years ago.
khat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2011, 08:19 PM   #9  
amber

S/C/G: 318/288.8/220

Height: 5'5"

I haven't lost much and I'm still about 30 pounds from my goal. I started at about 231 or 232 and quit drinking sodas, I'm sure that helped a ton. Then I started exercising way too much, and got burnt out. Now, I am not exercising but I do hard work every other week or so all week long. I also, don't count calories. But, I just eat what I want when I want, just not as much as I usually would. Lots of water and 1 or 2 glasses of sweet tea. No sweets are allowed in the house. So, those are rare as well and at most it's a candy bar instead of a batch of brownies or cookies or a gallon of icecream like it was back in the start of May. I'm from 230ish maybe higher- I didn't weigh in at the very start down to 209. It's been 2 1/2 months maybe?

I'm not stressing myself out, and I'm probably not doing it perfectly but that is what works for me for now! Obviously I may have to change it, but we'll do that when it comes!

Get motivated! I used to think losing weight is hard, it's not. What is hard for me, is motivating myself and sticking to it! It's all in the mind!
ButterCup85 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2011, 08:29 PM   #10  
The Awesomeness!

S/C/G: 265/ticker/130

Height: 5'0

I started my new life on June 1, 2011 and have lost 22lbs as of today! I am just going to echo everyone else who has responded....CALORIE COUNTING! I keep a food diary and I write down every single thing I put in my mouth. I cut out all the junk! Nothing fried, nothing processed, and NO SODA! I live by one simple rule when it comes to food....only shop along the perimeter of the grocery store. Everything you find in the middle is not good for you! Fresh fruits and veggies, lean meats, and low fat dairy. Also drink lots and lots of water. I know it sucks, but just do it! I drink 150oz's of water a day. I bought one of those little carry around jugs that holds 74.4oz's. I drink 2 of them a day. For me getting my eating habits right was the first step. I have slowly started adding in exercise since I am now comfortable with changing me eating habits. I didn't want to overwhelm myself at once and then give up. It's all about finding what works best for you. Baby steps! I know you can do it! I never thought I could and I here I am!
KittyKat1465 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2011, 09:04 PM   #11  
amber

S/C/G: 318/288.8/220

Height: 5'5"

Quote:
Originally Posted by KittyKat1465 View Post
I live by one simple rule when it comes to food....only shop along the perimeter of the grocery store. Everything you find in the middle is not good for you! Fresh fruits and veggies, lean meats, and low fat dairy. Also drink lots and lots of water.
I LOVE this!
ButterCup85 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2011, 10:26 PM   #12  
Awesome

S/C/G: see ticker

Height: 5'4"

By setting goals for myself, as in the first chapter of Tom Venuto's "Burn the Fat, Feed the Muscle." I made myself a spreadsheet in Google Docs with my goals for three, six, nine and twelve months. I also have a presentation in Google Docs with affirmations I've written based around what I want for myself, written in the present tense of having achieved them. They're all things like:

"I am so happy and thankful now that I'm 133lbs."
"I have accomplished a lot for my health and quality of life by bringing my body down to 10%."
"I eat delicious, filling meals with lots of fruits and vegetables, protein and whole grains every day and night."
"I work hard during my five weekly runs before work, constantly strategizing to improve my run times."
"I rise every morning with energy, excited to begin my day."
"I run a 5k three times a year, improving my time with each run."
"I rarely get sick or feel depressed."
"I am excited to wear my size 6 Levi's skinny jeans."
"I have a classy, cute, put-together sense of style and a complete wardrobe."
"I have fantastic thighs and slim calves under rompers, dresses, skinny jeans and pencil skirts."
etc.

I hold myself accountable by weighing in every week and measuring my body fat percentage on the first of each month.

Last edited by bopbot; 07-13-2011 at 10:26 PM.
bopbot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2011, 12:35 AM   #13  

S/C/G: 239/159.6/130

Height: 5'2"

i started in mid may (not sure of the precise date) simply by cutting out soda and junk food. i also started by eating mostly salads and smaller portions of breakfast foods, then slowly started adding in other foods though i mostly eat veggies now and lean meats. plus i started doing exercise at home (biggest loser dvds and pilates) since im horrible at going to the gym and such. its been nearly 2 months now and so far ive managed to lose 26lbs. the biggest challenge for me so far seems to be just staying motivated enough to maintain the exercise routines.
shelley3650 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2011, 06:42 PM   #14  

S/C/G: 165/118.4/123

Height: 5.4

I'm doing traditional calorie counting with some walking thrown in the mix. Now that I'm eleven pounds away from goal I watch my carbs and my fat intake. I use calorie count to keep track of what I'm eating. I lost 31.8 pounds so far and I started in early February. So it been 7 months so not to bad.
habakuktwo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2011, 02:06 AM   #15  

Height: 5'2

One thing I have realised during my journey is that weight loss, permanent weight loss that is, is a lifestyle change. Its not something one does for 12 weeks or 6 months.

So have a plan on how you will reach your goals, do a weekly exercise and diet plan and make sure you stick to atleast 80% of it. Its hard work, commitment and perseverance.

Set small measurable goals and rewards yourself when you reach them(no dont reward yourself with food), reward with getting a new haircut, buying some make-up etc...

Good luck and we are here to support you...
size8 is offline   Reply With Quote