Old 06-21-2011, 06:59 PM   #1  

S/C/G: 310/288/235

Height: 5'9"

Default Hurt feelings... :-/

Last week I was on vacation from work and so the girls went ahead and ordered everyones t-shirts for this weeks company casual day..
Well anyways... I've worn a size XL tshirt for a few years now. I've worked at my job for almost a year and this isn't the first time we've done this.

Well today our orders came in and my coworkers ordered me a 2XL...

Petty, I know.. but it really bummed me out.

I've always worn the same size and I've lost 25 pounds(to which they have all been so supportive)... but I got a little hurt by them upping me a size!!!!

I know i know, tell me I'm silly....
Just needed to vent!
mhill0823 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2011, 07:14 PM   #2  

No! It is not silly. If they've noticed you lost weight, then I don't understand why they'd order a larger size. Was the XL not available and they were afraid to get one that's not too tight? Is someone jealous? Is there a wolf in sheep's clothing at your job who pretends to be happy and supportive about your weightloss but really is not?

Whatever happened, do not act as though it bothers you. You're gonna be totally hot and they'll all be... themselves. I don't know what kind of job you have, but maybe you can poke fun at the situation by doing something outlandish with it and/or altering the shirt, such as tie it in the back so it hugs your slim waist, and/or rip off the collar to accentuate your now perky chest, and/or cut the sleeves to show off your new chiseled arms... do something within your job's dress code that'll help the shirt look flattering on you and/or play up your slimmer physique. Your excuse: "It's way too big, and I needed to find a way for it to flatter my figure." (or look good on me... whatever.) That'll show 'em to get it right next year, when you'll need a shirt at least two or three sizes smaller anyway! And, it'll show them that you have true confidence and you are not one to let them get you down.

Last edited by FassGal; 06-21-2011 at 07:17 PM.
FassGal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2011, 07:22 PM   #3  

lol Thank you! Made me smile!!!
I work at a bank in an office of all women, so I'm sure someone doesn't like that I'm getting healthier and happier!!!!! and I'm not sure if they didn't know what size I order or what but it just caught me off guard! I mean I am nowhere near slim yet but I am smaller somewhat! So I played it off well and didn't let them know it was bothering me! I plan to tie it in the back and show that it was WAY too big!!!
We always do like month long biggest loser contests at work but noone really participates but me and my boss.. Everyone else just talks about going to the gym, then eat candy and such all day! lol So I'm not sure!!
Just glad I can vent to you guys and get great support!!
Old 06-21-2011, 07:25 PM   #4  

You're welcome. I'm happy that I could help. Good luck with the biggest loser contest. You have a good chance of winning since your coworkers are lazy (or not motivated... whatever)!
FassGal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2011, 07:26 PM   #5  
Results>Reasons

S/C/G: 196/190/150

I totally agree with FassGal. I'd spruce it up and get creative with all that excess material and thank whoever did the ordering for getting a "way too big of a size" that allowed you to rip off and sew up some accessories with the shirt.
AriesNV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2011, 07:27 PM   #6  
Lifes a Journey

S/C/G: 195/Ticker/170

Height: 5'5

I'd be pretty bummed out and pissed to if that happened. But you know what you should tie it so it fits better and laugh about saying the shirts a little too big, you had to tie back a bit.
MiZTaCCen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2011, 07:30 PM   #7  

Height: 5'3"

I've had that happen. They ordered me an XL when I needed a medium. I put it on and went to the managers office joking, "I think someone made a mistake. I'm SWIMMING in this thing." Then I started laughing and holding out the baggy shirt. That was followed by wide eyes and ordering me a new shirt while apologizing. Don't let it get you down sweety. You look amazing and 25lbs is an amazing loss. Someones probably just jealous of how amazing you look while they can't get the weight off.
Kelli21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2011, 07:36 PM   #8  

The person who actually turned in the order is probably the one who ordered the wrong size. The person must be very jealous of you or just plain vindictive.
The world is full of these people with personality disorders.

Can you wear a completely different outfit and leave early, explaining you have a dinner date after this event? Act as happy as can be.

That will ruin his/her twisted fun. The person wants you to appear uncomfortable.

Or tying it back sounds like a good idea also. Show off the slimmer you!

JOLINA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2011, 07:46 PM   #9  

S/C/G: 289/274/147

Height: 5'7"

Wow, is this really how you all see other women?

People make mistakes. If I were in charge of ordering shirts for people and didn't know sizes, I'd sure order up instead of down. If someone had gotten you a large, would you be flattered or convinced they were out to humiliate you?

Other people don't think about the ins and outs of our issues nearly as much as we do. Chances are that person went, "Huh. Better too big than too small, she can always throw it in the drier"...and then she moved on with her life and never gave it another thought.

Of course it's disappointing or upsetting when people don't see you as the size you see yourself but I would think 9 out of 10 people - yes, even female ones - wouldn't see tee shirt ordering as a chance to get in a subtle dig.
98DaysOfSummer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2011, 07:49 PM   #10  

Thank you guys sooo much! I can't wait to walk in Friday morning with my new (smaller size) Jeans on, casual heels and my Huge tshirt, tied in the back! Sporting how I had to alter it just because it was simply Huge!!!
You gals really know how to make a girls day!!!
I knew this would make me feel better!!!!

-(Not to mention while working out earlier after work I was pushing myself Super hard... thinking "I'll show you a 2xl") lol
Old 06-21-2011, 08:06 PM   #11  

S/C/G: 250/168/150

Height: 5'7"

I do think 98DaysOfSummer has a point. I took **** for NOT ordering 2X and 3X shirts in my old office when I was smaller and other people needed them. It really didn't occur to me that one woman was much larger than I was and I should have asked her size. Some people (including me) are just not as sensitive as they should be sometimes.
JessLess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2011, 08:08 PM   #12  
Being Me-Inside and Out

S/C/G: 259/see ticker/140

Height: 5'5

I'm glad you're feeling better about it...things happen. I mean a 2x in juniors is sooo different then a 2x plus size. Maybe they just didn't know. Anyway, you go with your bad self and look superhot...more power to you!!!! Just remember, the higher the heel, the sexier the legs
sheramama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2011, 08:13 PM   #13  
Made of Starstuff

I know it can be pretty annoying, but this sounds like an honest mix-up.

Seems like they probably just had to make a guess. Not that anyone was being malicious whatsoever.

Since it's too big, you can still wear it. Just tie part of it off, or tuck some of it in.

And then years from now keep it as a huge oversized nightshirt!
Lovely is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2011, 08:18 PM   #14  

Thanks Ladies
Old 06-21-2011, 08:27 PM   #15  
nearly there

S/C/G: 145/111/95

Height: 5"1"

Quote:
Originally Posted by 98DaysOfSummer View Post
Wow, is this really how you all see other women?

People make mistakes. If I were in charge of ordering shirts for people and didn't know sizes, I'd sure order up instead of down. If someone had gotten you a large, would you be flattered or convinced they were out to humiliate you?

Other people don't think about the ins and outs of our issues nearly as much as we do. Chances are that person went, "Huh. Better too big than too small, she can always throw it in the drier"...and then she moved on with her life and never gave it another thought.

Of course it's disappointing or upsetting when people don't see you as the size you see yourself but I would think 9 out of 10 people - yes, even female ones - wouldn't see tee shirt ordering as a chance to get in a subtle dig.
I think sometimes people just refuse to see the changes and make mistakes on purpose. Here's why. For the last twenty years DH and I have been involved in helping a very close family friend (he's my BIL's ex BIL so practically a relative) and his wife set up for a huge Halloween party, complete with over a hundred robotic props. It takes two days to do the set up and another two days to tear it down. It's a lot of work. Every year the folks who help out get a T-shirt. The wife does the ordering. Invariably she orders 2XL shirts for everyone. Now at my heaviest I was nowhere near a 2X, but I just used the giant shirts as nightgowns. But a couple of years ago I asked her if she could please get me a small so that I would actually be able to wear the shirt in public.

Her reply, "You can't be a small, my grandson is a small. " And when the shirts came they were the usual size 2X. Now this is a woman who's known me since the late eighties. She has seen my weight go up and down. But I have been under 120 pounds for three years. She knows I'm not a 2X. But she gets me that size anyway.

Incidentally she struggles with her weight.

Last edited by Magrat; 06-21-2011 at 08:28 PM.
Magrat is offline   Reply With Quote