Weight Loss Support Give and get support here!

Old 05-27-2011, 02:33 PM   #1  
the aly bagel

Height: 5'8"

Default Noticeable weight loss, but no inches!

Hi everyone,

Here is the juste of what is going on:

-I have lost 5 pounds since April according to my scale.
-The changes in exercise is, I now do Yoga and Circuit training, instead of just doing 45 minutes straight cardio at the gym. This has been going on a few weeks.
-My pants fit looser and I can see that I am smaller now around the midsection then a few weeks ago
-I took my measurements yesterday and.. they're the same

Can anyone explain why my measurements have not changed but it is obvious I have slimmed down?

This is my thought -the yoga and circuit training incoorporated a lot of strength exercises, and I am a lot stronger now.
They worked mostly on the thighs and buttocks, but also the core/abs and arms (I was sore almost every day this month). Could this be why my scale is the same? Have I lost fat but toned up?

I'll be checking any responses when I go to work. Thank you for any replies.

Last edited by schubunny; 05-27-2011 at 02:34 PM.
schubunny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2011, 04:10 PM   #2  

S/C/G: 200 / 180? / 140

Height: 5'4"

I'm a little confused: did the scale not move or the measuring tape?

A few thoughts:

Yes, it's perfectly possible you toned up and built muscle, causing the scale to stall.

Regarding why the measuring tape may not be reflecting your pants fitting better: it may simply be the difficulty of always measuring in the same spot. And just like when we weigh, we should measure at the same time of day as well. Maybe you sucked in your tummy first time a bit, and the second time you didn't? There are a lot of variables, particularly when you're self-measuring.
Ferumbras is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2011, 09:47 PM   #3  
the aly bagel

Height: 5'8"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ferumbras View Post
I'm a little confused: did the scale not move or the measuring tape?

A few thoughts:

Yes, it's perfectly possible you toned up and built muscle, causing the scale to stall.

Regarding why the measuring tape may not be reflecting your pants fitting better: it may simply be the difficulty of always measuring in the same spot. And just like when we weigh, we should measure at the same time of day as well. Maybe you sucked in your tummy first time a bit, and the second time you didn't? There are a lot of variables, particularly when you're self-measuring.
It's the measuring tape.

I do try to measure in the same spot, but maybe I did suck in a bit.

But, I was still the same in places I can't suck -such a thighs, arms, calfs and chest. Wouldn't I have lost a bit somewhere else too?
schubunny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2011, 10:13 PM   #4  

S/C/G: 200 / 180? / 140

Height: 5'4"

Not necessarily. As far as I can tell, there's no rhyme or reason to where we lose weight. So you might lose in your stomach, but not your thighs, or vice versa. But I'm no expert.
Ferumbras is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2011, 08:31 AM   #5  

S/C/G: 250/242/150

Height: 5'6"

I find waist measurements so unreliable - they depend so much on not just sucking in breath, but fully relaxing muscles there. If your pants are looser, you've probably lost a bit there. As for other places - well, there are so many places to lose from! I bet you don't measure under your chin, or whether you've lost a little from the underside of your butt, or maybe the bulgy bit between waist and hip is a little flatter, or the muffin top gone down a fraction.

So I wouldn't worry too much.

It is also possible you're losing muscle mass? In which case you'd be lighter but the same size. But you say you can see you're slimmer, so that doesn't sound right.
Ms Marvel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2011, 02:44 PM   #6  
Debbie

S/C/G: 317/see ticker/185

Height: 5 10

I don't know if this will help or not. Years ago when I did Yoga faithfully as my only type of exercise it changed my body. I held myself differently. It really strengthens your core. I kept my favorite pair of pants from when I weighed 165 lbs. at 205 lbs I was wearing those same pants. That shouldn't be physically possible!!! Like I said, Yoga changed my body. I can't wait until I'm physically mobile enough to do that tape again. Keep up the great work the transformation is so worth it.
SeeImTryin is offline   Reply With Quote