General chatter Because life isn't just about dieting. Play games, jokes, or share what's new in your life!

Old 04-03-2011, 01:31 PM   #1  

S/C/G: 225/210/150

Height: 5' 7"

Smile What to wear for a performance?

I'm a singer, studying my degree and I have my final performance of year one on Wednesday. I'm singing both a classical piece (How beautiful are the feet from the Messiah) and a jazz one (A foggy day), as I've been studying those two different singing styles this year. The performance will be in front of the whole music dept and so I'm very nervous. We don't have any rules as to what we have to wear as such, and I'm going shopping tomorrow to treat myself to a new outfit to help my confidence.

What do you think I should wear? I considered a pair of black trousers with a nice top? Or should I get a long dress and some heels?

I dunno!! I'm sure I'm overthinking this, but I get so nervous before any kind of performance that I need some kind of distraction to help me not to fret about my singing!!
MusicalJess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2011, 01:47 PM   #2  
Let's do this!

S/C/G: 210/149/140

Height: 5'6.5

Hmm... I think a dress would be great (it is technically spring) but I don't know about heels. I always wore flats because heels always added an extra layer of nerves. Of course, black slacks are always classic with a cute top and some fun jewelry. Good luck! What an accomplishment!

Last edited by junebug41; 04-03-2011 at 01:48 PM.
junebug41 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2011, 02:21 PM   #3  

Thanks. The only reason I thought heels is because my legs look chunky in flats, but I suppose if I wore a long dress I'd not have to worry about my legs! Do you think I should stick with "slimming" black? I was considering looking for something flowery...but I'm worried that every bump, etc will show up. I want people to look and think "she has an amazing voice" not "look how fat she is!"
Old 04-03-2011, 03:13 PM   #4  

S/C/G: HW:200+/LW:120/CW:142

Height: 5'1 and a 1/2" (yes the 1/2" matters!)

I was also a voice major in undergrad. How fun - but I TOTALLY get what you're saying about nerves!

Can you ask some other women in your studio what they're wearing? If the majority are wearing pants or dresses, that might be the way to go. A long dress with heels sounds a little fancy, to me, but might be appropriate depending on the culture of your music department.

I definitely agree that dressing well will give you more confidence. I'm sure you'll knock them dead, no matter what you decide to wear!
JenMusic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2011, 04:34 PM   #5  

Aww thanks!!! I've been working really hard to develop my technique and make the vocals perfect, I just don't want to ruin all my hard work through nerves.

I'm going to have a look tomorrow for something, I'll let you know how I get on!