Old 01-29-2011, 11:03 AM   #1  

S/C/G: 196/188/125

Height: 5'0"

Default Sugar-Free Margaritas - what do you think

I have poker night at the neighbors next weekend and everyone will be drinking Margaritas. I found this recipe on the internet - what do you think.

Think it would be ok for IP? I don't plan to use tequila - I'll just have mine a virgin. I'm not a big drinker anyway. Wondering how it would taste if I added a thinned-out Lemon Pudding packet?? or maybe the Raspberry jello (there is such a thing - isn't there?)

Ingredients:
1 jigger (1.5 oz) tequila
2 Tablespoons (1 oz) lime juice - bottled more convenient, fresh tastes a lot better
1/4 cup (4 Tablespoons) water
1/4 teaspoon orange extract
1 Tablespoon's worth artificial sweetener (I like to use liquid, carb-free types)
Ice - small handful
Margarita salt or kosher salt
slickmouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2011, 11:10 AM   #2  
Loving the Sleeved Life

S/C/G: 267/252/133.5

Height: 5'3"

The total carbs in 1 fluid ounce of fresh lime juice is 2.6. I don't know how that compares to a tablespoon. Is there lime extract? I think it would be AWESOME mixed with the blueberry-pom drink, blended up. No tequila, good idea, as alcohol converts to sugar. I doubt it would throw you out of ketosis, as long as you had no restricteds that day. Way to think around the box!
Joliebug82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2011, 12:39 PM   #3  

S/C/G: h254/IP248/186/130 or size 4

Height: 5'5" size 12 mostly

It would be fine. I wouldn't have many. Plan for the carbs in your day and eat the lower carb veggies. Eat your regular pudding or jello for your dessert... in fact eat a relatively normal day.

IF you did slip and add the tequila DO NOT skip the restricted. In fact, you might want to have it on hand for while you are drinking those.

ALCOHOL DOES NOT TURN INTO SUGAR.

ALCOHOL CAUSES THE BODY TO PRODUCE ACETALDEHYDE (toxin) & (if things go right) ACETIC ACID. IT FORCES THE BODY TO RELEASE GLYCOGEN WHICH IS CONVERTED TO SUGAR.

(caps used for emphasis not for purpose of yelling.)

"Alcohol also causes the liver to convert glycogen (a sugar-storage carbohydrate) into sugar. For people with blood-sugar regulation problems (primarily reactive hypoglycemia), alcohol can offer a “quick fix” to normalize blood sugar. This is why brandy is given to revive people who have fainted. The brain relies upon blood sugar for its primary energy supply.

For people with low blood sugar, alcohol can temporarily relieve their physiological and psychological symptoms. This provides a quick reward for alcohol consumption. If the effect of the alcohol is allowed to wear off, the symptoms return even stronger, providing additional incentive for further drinking. When alcohol consumption eventually stops, blood sugar tends to crash, severely agravating symptoms and distress. This might be described as “drinking one’s self into unconsciousness.” This problem leads to binge drinking behaviors.

The high prevalence of blood sugar-related alcohol addictive behaviors is supported by the high percentage of former alcoholics who have become “sugar junkies.”

The solution to this problem is improved glycemic control. This can be accomplished by such dietary changes as eating complex carbohydrates instead of simple carbohydrates, eating less carbohydrates (carbohydrate restriction) to activate fat-burning enzymes, and eating smaller, more frequent, high-protein meals. It can also be addressed with supplements. The amino acid glutamine, for example, provides an alternative source of fuel for the brain. Supplemental glutamine can make the brain less sensitive to low blood sugar. ...

The trace mineral chromium is an essential part of glucose tolerance factor (GTF), which is necessary for efficient transport of blood sugar into the insulin-sensitive cells of the body. Chromium is slow to absorb and accumulate, so extended use is required. Chromium chloride, chromium nicotinate and chromium picolinate are commonly available as supplements. ..." modified quote http://www.ceri.com/alcohol.htm

Alcohol, the Appetite Enhancer

Alcohol increases appetite by stimulating the liver to convert stored sugar (glycogen) into glucose (blood sugar). The excess glucose stimulates insulin production, and insulin in turn stimulates the powerful fat storage hormone lipoprotein lipase (LPL), which is responsible for “beer-belly syndrome” by directing fat to the abdominal cavity for storage.

Alcohol, the Stressor

Alcohol also expands your waistline by causing a rise in the muscle-wasting stress hormone cortisol. Cortisol breaks down muscle tissue-causing a decline in your overall ability to burn calories. One single night of drinking can raise cortisol for up to 24 hours. http://www.alive.com/1613a4a2.php?su...read_cramb=733

Alcohol actually lowers blood sugar, raises insulin, and can, in a cycle, lower blood sugar more.

"The action of insulin .... is to lower blood glucose by making more insulin. So, you should not drink when your blood glucose is low. "
"Alcohol can cause hypoglycemia shortly after drinking and for 8-12 hours after drinking. "
"The symptoms of too much alcohol and hypoglycemia can be similar — sleepiness, dizziness, and disorientation. "
http://www.diabetes.org/food-and-fit...t/alcohol.html

It can cause us to gain weight but not because it converts to sugar. Some information says to consider alcohol more like a fat. This is so because if the energy provided by alcohol is not immediately used/burned it is stored as fat and turned to triglycerides.
showgirlaz is offline   Reply With Quote