General chatter - Am I the only one who never liked TBL?

TheBunneh
01-06-2011, 12:00 PM
I'm already too cynical for reality television. I can not believe that the majority of what happens (the "drama" especially) is not planned or at least encouraged by people behind the scenes. I guess there isn't anything wrong with that, I would just much rather watch a well written and acted show.

But having a reality show about weight where the object is to lose more weight than everyone else in a certain time frame bothers me. I've never watched an episode of TBL and I don't intend to. But even before some of the controversy over one of the former contestant's accusations I had a big aversion to TBL.

I don't understand the concept of pitting individuals against each other and saying that one person or one team is better because they lost more weight. There are such a HUGE amount of things that can affect the scale. And just because one person loses more doesn't mean they necessarily worked harder or did better.

I guess it's the idea of making weight loss a race that really bugs me. That's the exact reason why I gave up so many times. Because I felt my progress didn't matter because it was so slow. Or, "Yeah I lost 50 pounds but I haven't lost anything in six months so it doesn't mean anything anymore!" Like there is an expiration date on progress.

And don't get me started on Jillian....I've done the 30 day shred, and her yoga video, and couldn't stand it. The reason was Jillian's training style. I guess some people really like her and that's great for them. But I can't stand the "you have to hate this" feeling I got from her.

That's why I'm so in love with Chalene Johnson's workouts. She is the exact opposite. She makes me feel positive about myself and the workout and makes me really want to push to my max. I think more people need to feel that way about diet and fitness.

Instead of feeling like you're failing because you aren't keeping up with everyone else or with a time line or set of rules, feel GREAT because every moment you can push yourself to what is %100 for you at that time. It doesn't have to match someone else's %100. I feel like shows such as TBL breed more 'you're just not good enough' feelings.

I know a lot of people really like the TBL and find it motivating, and that's great! Like I said I've never actually watched it. I just kind of wanted to rant a little/see if anyone else felt the same way.

bargoo
01-06-2011, 12:09 PM
I've only seen it couple of times , but the average dieter could never follow that routine, hours and hours of exercise. Who has time for that ? It is just to extreme..

beerab
01-06-2011, 12:13 PM
I think it's hard to judge something if you have never sat down and really watched it. I haven't watched every season but I've seen quite a bit and Jillian is actually a really nice person- she's sat down contestants and talked to them and you can tell she really does care. She just believes in tough love.

Last season the contestants were awesome- it wasn't so much about drama but about them doing their best to lose. I won't lie- there have been things done on the show that have irritated me- but overall I think they are trying to do as much good as they can in the short amount of time they have while STILL trying to entertain the masses. Let's be honest, if the show were boring it would have been cancelled a long time ago.

TheBunneh
01-06-2011, 12:19 PM
I certainly don't mean to be down on Jillian as person. I meant to say that I personally do not like her training style because of how it makes me feel and that it really doesn't help me get a good workout (it has the opposite effect actually). And I'm curious if there are other people who feel like I do.

I'm also not really thinking so much about TBL itself as the concept of it. But thinking about TBL is what got the thought process started and is the easiest example I can find.

Like I said I think it's great if other's find the show inspirational!

shannonmb
01-06-2011, 12:19 PM
I do actually like to watch it, but I completely understand where you are coming from. "Racing to the finish" doesn't work for me, one, because I get discouraged and start going to unsustainable measures, and two, because there IS no finish. I like to see the transformations, because seeing the before and after stuff is exciting, even if it takes me 2 years instead of 12 weeks to get there.

Every year at work they start a biggest loser competition. I participated a couple times, but I have since sworn off it. I will just keep plodding away at my sensible plan while the same person who has won the last 3 years keeps gaining and losing the same pounds. She DOES get a pretty good jackpot for her efforts, but this is about something different for me. I don't need anything messing with my head sending me back into "GET THIS WEIGHT OFF NOW, BY WHATEVER MEANS NECESSARY (even though you will never be able to keep it up and will gain it back and then some).

DixC Chix
01-06-2011, 12:20 PM
You are not alone. I have seen bits and pieces but never sat through an episode because I do disagree with most of the tactics.

A much better way of measuring successful losses against each other would be a percentage of starting weight lost. The 430 guy loses 43 pounds for 10% and the 300 pound woman loses 30. They could also do body fat % with a real hydrostatic test each week for extra points to account for muscle building. Not measuring the % but the change in % thus allowing for more equality between male and female.

The could also do away with the shirtless weigh-ins for the men and athletic bras for the women.

They could do a lot more challenges with menu planning and cooking to cover the nutritional aspects. Even one with restaurant food choices, etc.

There are so many more things they could do to emphasize other important facets of weight loss but I guess the producers aren't in the business of educating the public. They just want to attract the biggest audience without much consideration of reality.

Sum38
01-06-2011, 12:21 PM
I wish there was a show where they took some slightly (70 pounds and less) overweight people and turned them into fit and trim people. I would love to see the workouts, diets etc. Ranch life is wonderful, but we all deal real life issues; kids, work, husbands/wives etc....I would find it inspirational if 'real' people with 'real' lives were to be the 'cast' members.

I could relate to it, and learn from it.

Aclai4067
01-06-2011, 12:22 PM
I go back and forth on it. It can be motivating to see these people pull such big numbers and work hard for change. But I get sick of the crying. And I get really sick of Jillian's condescending attitude. I watched a few seasons in a row, but skipped last season

sweetnlow28
I started watching it last season and I liked it in the beginning. I found the show very inspirational. After watching it for a few weeks, I started getting upset with the weigh ins and the reactions from Jillian. It was just heartbreaking to see some of the women crying because they ONLY lost 6 pounds in a week. At one point, Jillian snarled and just acted like it was unacceptable. The little advertisements got to be too much as well. They have the coahes pitching gum and products through out the show, it was really annoying. I still have mixed feelings over the show. It is great that weight loss is more focused on than it used to be but I just don't feel like this sort of show is entirely beneficial to overweight viewers. It just sends the wrong message.

shannonmb
A much better way of measuring successful losses against each other would be a percentage of starting weight lost.

This IS how they do it, just FYI. ;)

DixC Chix
01-06-2011, 12:24 PM
Why do they make them get on the scale?

dogsrule
01-06-2011, 12:26 PM
I hate TBL.... now really, the public humiliation of the weigh ins; exercise regimes that seem cruel at best and ultimately dangerous; the "boot camp" mentality of screaming at someone to get them motivated. This is not about helping people - it is about badgering and humiliating them for a TV audience and for the financial reward of high ratings. Creeps me out!

JayEll
01-06-2011, 12:26 PM
I have watched TBL--even whole seasons--but I agree with the OP on this.

The main thing to remember is that it is entertainment. It's not role modeling, it's not about nutrition, and it's not about health. It's about entertaining people enough that they keep watching so that the producers can sell advertising. Yes, it's all about advertising dollars. No, it is not a public service program.

What I find especially offputting is the rubbernecker factor--know what I mean? It appeals to people who can't turn away from something awful.

Jillian is a sadist--I don't care how nice she talks to people after she's broken them down, she's still a sadist, in my opinion. Bob is the same--but it's expected that he'll be that way because he's male. I wouldn't take a single training session with either one of them.

The whole thing is way too extreme, in spite of the occasional nods they give to good nutrition. Oh, and what really turned me off on the last show was the statement, "Everyone likes a makeover." Oh? Do they? Yet another fad to make money.

OK, stopping now.

Jay

JayEll
01-06-2011, 12:29 PM
Sum38, there is a TV show called National Body Challenge that is much more realistic. And of course, people lose a lot less weight. That's because it's realistic.

Jay

beerab
01-06-2011, 12:42 PM
Why do they make them get on the scale?

Well you can't calculate percentage lost without knowing pounds lost can you? They do the weigh ins but the percentage lost is what counts.

MariaMaria
01-06-2011, 01:16 PM
You don't like it? Don't watch it.

There are lots of shows I don't like and don't watch.

Personally, I'm not comfortable with the humiliation aspect. Then again I've never been over 200 pounds, let alone 300 or 400, and my relationship with weight and activity is very different from the TBL casts'.

moonkissed
01-06-2011, 01:19 PM
I have mixed feelings. Sometimes I love it sometimes I don't lol

I think it surely can give negative feelings to people because what they do on the show is just not reasonable for people not on it. And when people trying to lose weight do not have those results that fast it can make you feel crappy. Or cause people to do unsafe things.

I also much more prefer it when the people are all nice and truly just want to be in shape and healthier and are nice to each other. Last season it got way too competitive and I just felt yuck about it and quit watching. But now I am back this season watching lol

What I do love is how these people fight for it. How they work above and beyond what they ever thought possible.

When I am trying to work out doing something simple and being a baby and whining about how tough it is. Then I see someone who is bigger then me saying oh I have never even stepped on a treadmill before and they are pushing themselves harder then I ever have and not giving up. That is pure sweet motivation to me!

I also love seeing the people who have been kicked off and how they still continue to lose at home.

And between all the nutty tv show stuff they do often give good information. Let people all go home and show you how even though they did good people around them still make it hard and temptation will always be there.

So it has its good and bad. Overall it is just tv entertainment drama and IMO should be seen as just that.

Plus I love Bob so much. I didn't like Jillian at first but she won me over lol. She is tough and can be mean. She would so make me cry. But at other times she can be really sweet and she just cares so much.

I have seen some more reality based shows that are good. I wish they had more of those ones that really showed people at home and diet as well as exercise.

kaplods
01-06-2011, 01:20 PM
I'm assuming you mean, why do they weigh the people publically - the fact is that scale isn't even real. All that suspense is artificially created. The contestants have all been weighed ahead of time (but as I understand it, they don't get to see the number until it's "revealed" on the fake scale).

My question is - if the scale isn't real, why do they have to wear practically nothing - taking off their shoes, the men and women taking off their t-shirts to be "weighed" on a fake scale?

It's obviously just showmanship.

I have to say that I enjoyed the first season I watched (which I think was actually the second season), but for me, it went downhill from there. Every season it became more and more dangerous and more and more sensational. I realize that's what unscripted television does (calling them "reality shows" is a stretch, because they don't really reflect reality much, in my opinion), but I don't enjoy it.

To be honest, I'm not even a fan of "real life" drama, so watching artificially created drama isn't very appealing to me. I'm not even a huge fan of fictitious interpersonal drama, not in huge doses anyway. I watch more comedies than dramas.

I think eventually unscripted tv is going to end up killing someone, and I don't think most people will care, they'll just say "they knew the risks they were taking." I stopped watching because it felt a little too much like watching gladiators fight to the death.

Eliana
01-06-2011, 01:21 PM
I love to watch the show, but really only because I love to be immersed in weight loss. It's a favorite topic of discussion, so of course I gravitate toward shows about it. I'll also be watching "Heavy" on A&E coming up here soon.

But I agree with all the criticism. The show could definitely be better and certainly more fair. The biggest guy at the start is always going to be the winner unless the contestants are smart enough to eliminate him.

JoJoJo2
01-06-2011, 01:26 PM
I watched a whole season a couple of years ago. That was it for me. I find the concept of pushing overweight people to exercise to the point of vomiting rather demeaning.

There are other TV shows I much prefer to watch.

goodforme
01-06-2011, 01:32 PM
I only watched the show starting last season, and it was almost like a train wreck, you don't want to see it but you can't look away. I do enjoy watching people actively losing weight, trying to improve their diet and fitness, but I don't enjoy all the crying, hurting themselves, fighting among themselves, and being shamed in public.

I guess if you know that it's not possible to duplicate that experience outside of the show, and you know that in real life people do not lose double digits weekly, then I watch it for the sense of satisfaction I get from seeing real people losing real pounds and working their tails off for it.

Maybe I would feel differently if I'd watched all 10 seasons. The bloom is off the rose, so to speak, and I missed the debut this week. Thought I'd be into it, but completely forgot about it. ;)

TheBunneh
01-06-2011, 01:57 PM
I want to clarify again that considering I've not watched the show I'm not really talking about the actual show but the concept of a reality tv weight loss contest and what the idea of TBL has made me feel. (I guess I could have titled this topic better then! :lol: My ideas tend to evolve from one simple thought to a more in-depth subject quickly and what I'm talking about gets muddled.)

If I had the opportunity to do something similar to TBL I would not. Not because I wouldn't want someone pushing me to workout and stick to a diet (at a healthy limit) but because I feel the effort put into it should matter more than the results at the end. But effort can't be measured or compared person to person, so making a contest out of it would be impossible. Which is why I find the idea so off putting I suppose.

I've recently started working very hard on changing my attitude and being more positive. Instead of thinking about how difficult my workout is I tell myself how great it is I'm doing it and yes I can do at least one more jump before I do the modification moves. And then after that one jump I try to do another. But if I can't do ALL the jumps I still tell myself I'm awesome because I did as many as I could. Instead of feeling like a failure and wanting to turn the whole thing off because I didn't do enough. And I have done some things I never thought I would because of taking away the idea that there is a certain standard to success. The effort I can put into my workout will change day to day because of external factors, but if each day I am challenging myself to do the maximum that I can then I have still succeeded. The idea that I need to match someone else's %100 (or even the %100 I had yesterday) doesn't make sense and is why I felt so discouraged for so long.

BUT I know that some people are competitive by nature and the desire to match and exceed the effort of other's drives them. Realizing that I have to have a different approach with myself is what has made the difference and I wanted to know if there were others who felt the same way.

annie175
01-06-2011, 02:15 PM
I do not watch TBL or any other reality show...I want to watch comedy or something else...let's face it we live reality, I want to escape from it by watching other programs....

beerab
01-06-2011, 02:25 PM
I'd kill to go on the show lol- but sadly I'm too thin!

Too thin for the show I mean.

I'm curious to know who the new trainers are this season.

goodforme
01-06-2011, 02:58 PM
The Bunneh, I get what you are saying! I hate that we (the collective, TV watching and believing we) are made to feel inferior because we only lose a measly pound and a half a week. I hate that I personally feel like I can't ever measure up to those people on tv. I hate that there's a timeline, a race, the outcome of which depends on something SO out of our control.

How many of us ate perfectly on plan all week, did our planned exercise, and still maintained or even gained? Only to go out to eat, go majorly OVER in calories, and get a 3 pound whoosh after. . .

I think the networks are scrambling now, the under-paid or un-paid public being cast in roles? LOL There's a hunger for drama, so they create "real life" (behind the scenes scripted maybe) drama and publicize it and call it Reality TV. That's a rant for another day, I guess.

Nola Celeste
01-06-2011, 03:34 PM
You aren't alone in that; I utterly loathe the show (and I have watched it, but only long enough to say "OMG, this is what passes for reality TV now?").

My biggest problem with the show is that it flat-out lies. A "week" on the show might be eight or ten days on the scale, and while a nine-pound weight loss in a week would be extreme enough in a ten-day span, it's downright ridiculous in a seven-day one as it's called on the show. How many people start "TBL" diets and workout plans (buying up all of JM's fitness stuff in the process, naturally) only to crumble after a couple of weeks because their results aren't even a quarter as good as what's portrayed on the show?

I also hate the circus-like nature of the show. There's no reason for these contestants to be on display and humiliated on that big (fake) scale in scanty clothing aside from satisfying the avid curiosity of that slack-jawed subset of the population who has always enjoyed a good freak-show. They're the same people who (as Kaplods mentioned) used to enjoy a good gladiatorial combat or a good accident scene; now they get to point and laugh at the exhibits on display at "TBL." I know not everyone who watches the show is like this, but that element is definitely a part of the show's attraction for some of its audience.

As for Michaels, she's built an empire on humiliating and degrading people. Since when are ridicule and disgust useful teaching tools? Would people stand for that kind of "instruction" in any other sphere of their lives--in the office, say, or from their kids' teachers? "Yes, I made Bobby cry and puke today and let him believe he revolted me, but it was necessary to get him to understand fractions." I don't think so. It's incredibly insulting and it is beyond me why anyone would put up with the things that come out of her mannish face.

I also have a problem with the lack of focus on diet. It's all about the workouts on the show, yet in reality, food intake matters more for weight loss. But it isn't good TV to show people eating (they don't have the sponsorship from food companies, I guess) so instead we watch the circus fr--I mean, the contestants--run until they puke. Under normal circumstances, we all know that doing anything until we puke is bad for us; why is it held up as model behavior on this show?

More power to those who derive motivation from it. I know there're a lot of folks here who do find it empowering and motivating, so I'm glad that it serves a higher purpose for some. I would never go into a pro-"TBL" thread and trash the show, but man, it was good to see a thread about how dreadful it is.

Sorry to spend such a long post inveighing against it like a prohibitionist going on about "demon rum." :D

stellarosa27
01-06-2011, 03:47 PM
I've recently started working very hard on changing my attitude and being more positive. Instead of thinking about how difficult my workout is I tell myself how great it is I'm doing it and yes I can do at least one more jump before I do the modification moves. And then after that one jump I try to do another. But if I can't do ALL the jumps I still tell myself I'm awesome because I did as many as I could. Instead of feeling like a failure and wanting to turn the whole thing off because I didn't do enough. And I have done some things I never thought I would because of taking away the idea that there is a certain standard to success. The effort I can put into my workout will change day to day because of external factors, but if each day I am challenging myself to do the maximum that I can then I have still succeeded. The idea that I need to match someone else's %100 (or even the %100 I had yesterday) doesn't make sense and is why I felt so discouraged for so long.

This is possibly the most amazing thing I've read in a while. I love your attitude, and its something that I strive for.

I also loathe the show. I think its unethical and detrimental to the human race and should be taken off of the air. Its should be completely unacceptable for humans to treat each other like that, I don't care if its for entertainment value and if they've agreed to it before hand.

Jilu
01-06-2011, 05:17 PM
I personally just can't deal with all the screaming and yelling and grunting and crying in the gym.

Because then I get people in my gym who think they need to yell every time they lift a weight or run on the treadmill.

But, that's why I have headphones. To deal with pet peeves ;>

FrouFrou
01-06-2011, 06:55 PM
I didn't really watch it when it first started...seems like something else was on at that time. I saw maybe 1 show of the first season, watched a few of the second, I believe and not even sure how much of the rest...the last 2 I haven't watched any and this new one, ugh! It's not about the way they take the weight off it's ALL the drama and crying I can't take. I am not a reality tv person because I HATE drama, so annoying. Have enough of my own problems, I don't need to watch others, lol.

Lady Stardust
01-06-2011, 10:15 PM
I agree 100%. Its a horrible show. I understand what they are trying to promote, but I think it is telling that a lot of the contestants have gained some of their old weight back. Not only do I think its too much too fast, but it's irresponsible to have trainers saying that this kind of weight loss is OK when it is obviously not and lambasted by other nutritionists, doctors, and trainers.

I myself have several problems with the show, including the weigh-ins, the lack of clothing during the weigh-ins, the negativity and yelling, the competition aspect, but most of all, the fact that they eliminate people.

The first time I watched and realized they eliminate people I was like WTF??? If they truly wanted people on the show to lose weight and get healthy, they would not eliminate people, and they're doing it for entertainment purposes. They're part of an evil corporation bent on turning a profit, apparent by how they hock merchandise and products, and also by all of the TBL products they put out now, all they care about is money, not the contestants. If they cared about them, they would not humiliate them, they would not eliminate them, and would make the time longer on the ranch and not push them into losing so much weight so fast.

Ookpik
01-06-2011, 10:49 PM
I wish there was a show where they took some slightly (70 pounds and less) overweight people and turned them into fit and trim people. I would love to see the workouts, diets etc. Ranch life is wonderful, but we all deal real life issues; kids, work, husbands/wives etc....I would find it inspirational if 'real' people with 'real' lives were to be the 'cast' members.

I could relate to it, and learn from it.

I don't know if you can get this show in the US (I think I heard some people say they could) but there is a Canadian show called "X-Weighted". They follow the wieghtloss journey of a different person each week, over a period of six months. Many, if not most, are around 70 pounds (or less) overweight. They don't go to a ranch and compete: they stay at home, go to work, and contend with kids and marriages and relationships. A trainer teaches them about exercise and sometimes there is a nutritionist to teach them about healthy foods. At the end of six months, at the final weigh-in, some lose an amount some contestants on TBL lose in one week or even less. Some, however, lose a lot and the change is dramatic.

shellsbrood
01-07-2011, 08:47 AM
I'm not a fan either. No one should push themselves to exercise until they puke. The contestants got themselves to where they are because of extreme behaviors. Now, they diet and exercise to the extreme. It's not changing a lifestyle, it's simply refocusing unhealthy behaviors into different avenues. Sure, weight loss is a good thing, but as many people have already mentioned, doing it in a controlled and steady way would be much better for the contestants both physically and emotionally. The only thing that would suffer would be the ratings. :D

Sum38
01-07-2011, 10:08 AM
Which channel?

caryesings
01-07-2011, 10:10 AM
There was a terrific show on Lifetime called Diet Tribe where friends worked on diet and exercise together while they continued to live their real lives. Absolutely wonderful show and I think you may still be able to see the last season on line. I don't see any advertisements for a new season though.

MiZTaCCen
01-07-2011, 11:00 AM
I've never really watched it I've seen 1 or 2 eps. I tried watching last season but then I moved where I didn't have cable... I personally hate reality tv period. The only show I really watch are Vampire Diaries (yes I like teen shows) But I fully agree with what someone has said I'd rather watch a well acted show then a reality one. Someones they are good, the weightloss shows if you have lack of motivation or feel you can't do something. It's good to tune into some thing once in a while. That's just me. Also I personally love Jillian, tough love and all but that's just me I'd rather have someone screaming in my face then cheering me on in some cheerleader tone going YOU CAN DO IT! but then again that's me, and how I've placed my mentallity to be. I'm trying to switch it, but it's not easily to switch when it's something you've drilled in your head for years.

NYGiantsGirl
01-07-2011, 11:21 AM
I say this as someone who responds really well to Jillian's training style (have completed Shred twice and have some of her other DVDs) ...

... the fact that so many former contestants have had serious regains makes me think it's not healthy or realistic. And the lengths they go to aren't setting them up for success in the real world.

You all seem strong minded, which is why you're all succeeding. :) But there, every decision is made for the contestants -- so what do they do when loosed in the wild? Must be super difficult.

Krazy
01-07-2011, 11:35 AM
I usually only watch the weight-ins, thatís pretty much the only part of the show I find interesting. Itís amazing to see how much these people can lose in a week (or 10-14days). It gives me hope that if I really did exercise for 4-6 hours a day and eat very little, I could be at my goal weight in like a week. Iíll probably never do that, but itís nice knowing that itís possible to lose weight really really fast if youíre that dedicated.

jigglefree
01-07-2011, 02:32 PM
I don't hate the show but I don't watch it either. I saw a couple episodes since I changed my eating and workout habits and was horrified. I was trying to figure out how they were losing so much in a week every week. I watch NCIS, CSI Miami and CSI. With a two year old...I watch a lot of Backyardigans and Super Why...those are really good shows, they are actually teaching the kids not to act like adults on the reality shows.

But I hate "reality" shows period. The competition of it all is crazy. I really hate the ones with all the women living in a house competing to get one man...REALLY!! Even at my heaviest I was like there is no way in the world I would be in a house with a bunch of women and we all are kissing the same man and he's rubbing and touching everyone...eeewwww. How desperate? Okay let me stop before I truly get whisked away on that tangent.

cherrypie
01-07-2011, 06:18 PM
the contestants I've seen have kept off a lot of the weight. Lets face it, any program has a pretty high regain ratio. Even something like weight watchers.

mandalinn82
01-07-2011, 06:19 PM
... the fact that so many former contestants have had serious regains makes me think it's not healthy or realistic. And the lengths they go to aren't setting them up for success in the real world.

Biggest Loser has about a 50% rate of contestants regaining some significant portion of weight. Which is a lot, granted. But it's a lot better than the average regain rate for weight loss in general (which estimates place at 80-90%).

I have issues with the show in general, but the statistics in this case indicate that the BL is better at producing long-term weight loss without significant weight regain than most other diet plans.

One British study found that after 5 years, only 50% of people even maintain 5% of their original weight lost on Weight Watchers. I can only name a few BL contestants (2 or 3?) who have not maintained at least 5% of what they took off.

Weight-loss maintenance after successful completion of a commercial weight-loss program was assessed in 699 lifetime members of the Weight Watchers program. One, two and five years after successful completion of the program, 79.8%, 71.0% and 50% of participants maintained at least 5% of their weight loss. These findings provide further evidence that maintenance of weight loss for those who successfully lose weight is more beneficial than data from clinical populations suggest.

cherrypie
01-07-2011, 06:22 PM
Biggest Loser has about a 50% rate of contestants regaining some significant portion of weight. Which is a lot, granted. But it's a lot better than the average regain rate for weight loss in general (which estimates place at 80-90%).

I have issues with the show in general, but the statistics in this case indicate that the BL is better at producing long-term weight loss without significant weight regain than most other diet plans.

thanks, you said it so much better than I did :lol:

now can you say something about it being a tv show and they are all designed to make money

ckatgo
01-07-2011, 06:24 PM
I used to watch the show, but agree, the show is horrible. It is all about "lets humiliate the fat people for entertainment" I swear, last season I just about lost it and wrote in a nasty letter to the producers where Jullian was waving a piece of meat in front of a contestants face while he was doing leg presses and yelling at him. I was ticked for the man. She is ridiculous. And I agree with the others that they can weigh the contestants appropriately clothed. They just want to shame people into losing weight, on a routine that cannot possibility be kept up.

I could go on forever......

thinner
01-07-2011, 08:37 PM
i just see it as a game. if it wasn't for a money prize as such, not as many people would want to get up in the skimpy clothes in front of everybody. although, i've seen plenty more skin at the beach and i didn't see bones sticking out under it, lol. i dont see BL as *the* method to lose weight. i think after the first season or so that they saw people gaining after going back home so then they put in a month or so of having to live at home during the show. so i think the show does intend to show some of the issues about losing weight, but i don't think their main intention is to show average people how to lose weight. average people don't live at the ranch and they know that. the show's main goal is the same as the other shows, to make money.

thinner
01-07-2011, 08:40 PM
i like jillian because she gets into the reasons why people don't want to exercise, etc. on her other show this past summer, she showed families how to work together and she got into how they really related to each other and helped them work out some problems and start to get more healthy.

Ookpik
01-07-2011, 11:38 PM
Which channel?

Not sure. It comes on Slice in Canada, also various Global stations. It could be Discovery Health in the U.S. You may be able to view it here:

http://xweighted.ca/

Sum38
01-07-2011, 11:55 PM
[QUOTE=Ookpik;3640342]Not sure. It comes on Slice in Canada, also various Global stations. It could be Discovery Health in the U.S. You may be able to view it here:

Thanks I will search for it :)

Nola Celeste
01-08-2011, 05:38 PM
I understand that a lot of people like Jillian. I am not one of those people, and for me to have to see her man-face on every ad from here to Juvember is annoying as all get-out. I cannot wait until she gets sued out of her Y-fronts for something--anything--so she'll be too disgraced to be the public face of anything and I won't have to look at her judgmental smirk any more.

fozentusic
01-08-2011, 06:46 PM
I hate TBL. Hate it. Stupid show.

MariaMaria
01-08-2011, 07:08 PM
Jillian.... her man-face... her Y-fronts

Wow.

peanutt
01-08-2011, 07:13 PM
I understand that a lot of people like Jillian. I am not one of those people, and for me to have to see her man-face on every ad from here to Juvember is annoying as all get-out. I cannot wait until she gets sued out of her Y-fronts for something--anything--so she'll be too disgraced to be the public face of anything and I won't have to look at her judgmental smirk any more.

You can criticize her training style all you want, but don't make petty insults like saying she has a "man-face". Its comments like those that keep women back.

And saying you can't wait until she gets sued? Come on. Theres no need for comments like that. We should be able to be critical of her training style without resorting to ad hominem attacks.

I agree with Lady Stardust. A personal attack does nothing but reflect poorly on you. If you have problems with her training style, say so. But there's no need to make such sexist comments. I would think that someone who spoke so eloquently about the word "cheat" and how it reflects negative viewpoints of women would be a little more sensitive to the negative consequences of petty insults like this one.

Nola Celeste
01-08-2011, 07:29 PM
You're right. Calling her "man-face" is more of an insult than I'd intended. I'm in a terrible mood because of what's happening to my football team. I won't erase my post because I'd rather own a mistake and apologize for it than pretend I hadn't done it at all.

As for lawsuits, there is at least one pending (http://abcnews.go.com/Health/Wellness/jillian-michaels-lawsuit-biggest-loser-star-sued-allegedly/story?id=11332300) about her line of diet pills, though I don't know the current state of it nor of the other three against her for the same thing.

I stand by my opinion that she's a poor choice of role model (in my estimation) because she appears (to me) to have a perilously low body-fat percentage, causing a loss of the buccal and malar fat pads characteristic of the female face. That's what I meant by "man-face"--not that she's homely or as a discussion of her looks, but as a comment about her extreme physique.

Granted, mine's extreme in the other direction and in an unhealthy way, but I'm working on it and recognizing it as the health concern that it is. It bothers me that people watch TBL, see JM, and think that that is the image of ideal health for a woman. She's closer to ideal than I am, sure--but then, I'm not the head of a fitness empire exhorting people to look like me. Not only is her physique an unattainable goal for the majority of women, it's one that shouldn't be the goal.

TheBunneh
01-08-2011, 08:21 PM
I really didn't intend for this to be about trashing TBL or Jillian. =(

I was trying to get feedback on how I feel about the concept of weight loss as a contest/race and negative vs positive motivation...

DisgruntledOne
01-08-2011, 08:37 PM
well getting back in track. There are good and bad things about TBL. When I am feeling lazy and the show is on it does make me get my butt up and exercise. Another thing is watching them work out I a able to, as a home exerciser, pick up on new things to do like kettle bells. Never saw them til the show. No I don't like the conpetetion part but like anything take the good from it and leave behind the bad.

MariaMaria
01-08-2011, 08:39 PM
she appears (to me) to have a perilously low body-fat percentage, causing a loss of the buccal and malar fat pads characteristic of the female face. That's what I meant by "man-face"--not that she's homely or as a discussion of her looks, but as a comment about her extreme physique.

And the y-fronts remark?

Basically, you called a lesbian a man-- meaning, not a woman. That was both sexist and heterosexist.

Nola Celeste
01-08-2011, 08:41 PM
This is an "I Dislike TBL" thread, and I did repeatedly express that it was my opinion that a woman with such a low BMI has no business being held up as a shining example of physical fitness. Keeping my opinions to myself is antithetical to the nature of a message board and specifically a thread in which people give their opinions on a television show, isn't it?

There's a difference between "policing others' bodies" and offering an opinion (again, the key word here) that a person with a body fat percentage below what is considered healthy by the medical establishment is not someone to whom I look as a role model. Furthermore--and again, in my opinion--I find it worrying when doctors tell us one thing about proper BMI and a reality/fitness/entertainment show holds up another, very different image.

People who put themselves on a public stage for a particular trait can and are judged by that trait. If she were an actress, it would be fair to discuss her acting ability and the "instrument" with which she acts (her face and body). If she were a writer, it would be fair to discuss the quality of her novels and comment about her intellect when debating how convoluted or simplistic her plots were. If she were a model, her beauty or lack thereof would become fair game.

She is a fitness guru, therefore it is fair to discuss the quality of her workouts, her own physical fitness, and her behavior as relates to fitness and exercise. That's what she's famous for. That's what she does for a living. That's why people give her money by buying her workout DVDs, tuning in to her show, and buying the supplements for which she is currently being sued.

I've apologized enough for the baser, more negative comments I made and I do regret them. I don't regret offering my opinions that a fitness guru can be judged on her own fitness, that I personally find her a poor standard of fitness, or that I hope the pending lawsuits against her are successful.

You are more than welcome to disagree with me, but please remember that this is an "I Dislike TBL" thread and not an "I Love Jillian Michaels" thread. I don't darken those threads with my dislike of the show or the woman on it; I fail to see why expressing my low opinions on the show or the woman in a thread about that very thing is verboten.

Again, I'll apologize for the cheap shots--but not for the strong opinions that motivated them.

Nola Celeste
01-08-2011, 08:47 PM
And the y-fronts remark?

Basically, you called a lesbian a man-- meaning, not a woman. That was both sexist and heterosexist.

She's a lesbian? I didn't know. All I know of her is what I see in those omnipresent ads and from snippets of TBL that I've caught here and there.

I judged her on her appearance and my mouth overran my sense. The Y-fronts comment was another reference, like "man-face," to her physique--not her sexuality. She has the body-fat percentage of a man, that was my point. It was an ill-chosen comment for which I have already apologized, but not one that was meant to be a slur on her sexuality.

peanutt
01-08-2011, 08:48 PM
Nola, I appreciate your comments and that you left your original post intact.

Remember people, we don't always have to agree but we can disagree respectfully.

Nola Celeste
01-08-2011, 08:51 PM
I could definitely use some lessons on disagreeing respectfully. I feel like crap for my original statements--I always think I'm about 138% more clever than I actually am--and hope that I didn't offend anyone. That was not my intent, nor was it my intent to shanghai this thread which had been really interesting until I decided to come in here and choke on my own foot. :(

Mea maxima culpa to anyone whom I offended.

DisgruntledOne
01-08-2011, 09:00 PM
Ok seriously lets get back to the topic. People all the time make comments that may or may not have been put in public. But guess what so many people have decided it is ok and can't fantom how what they said is wrong or inappropiate. Giving my respect to Noal she has appoligized and like she said this was an interesting thread so please lets get back to it. thank you.

Nola Celeste
01-08-2011, 10:22 PM
Nola, I think you should keep all comments regarding Jillian Michaels and her body and her BMI to yourself, and stop making such poor excuses for what you said.

You are not her, therefore you do not know what is best for her, and you do not know what her best body weight is for her. Its not your business and you have no basis for opinion since you do not know her.

I don't care if its your opinion, you are still policing her body.

Please just stop making comments about her and stop trying to justify your prejudice against her.

I would think that of all places, 3 Fat Chicks would be a place where no one's body is commented on in a negative way, even as a criticism of their "art" or "profession".

I suggest you should reflect on why you harbor such a hatred towards her and why you have such strong opinions on her body and lifestyle choice. there are numerous blogs you can read about body acceptance and I suggest you read them.

Listen, this isnt a criticism against you personally, I think you have a lot to learn about body acceptance. It was a difficult concept for me to initially grasp, but if you have an open mind and are willing to ask questions, and just listen, you can learn a lot about it. I know I did.

'Kay, duly noted.

At any rate (and with apologies to all for my part in derailing the thread earlier), I'm really happy to see that there seem to be many new weight-loss/fitness-oriented shows that are non-competitive, like A&E's "Heavy" and MTV'S "I Used to Be Fat" (which, oddly enough, is affiliated with TBL but has a wildly different vibe).

I wonder if those less ratings-driven, sensationalistic shows will catch on, and if they do, if they'll affect TBL and the abominable "Dance Your *** Off"-type competitions? I can't help hoping so; I like my competitive reality shows as much as the next TV junkie, but some things just might not be fit subjects for competition, in my opinion.

thinner
01-08-2011, 10:26 PM
TBL motivates me also to get off my duff. If I'm feeling blah about not exercising, I can watch that show and know that if I don't get up and do something, I can end up alot bigger than I am now or have ever been. So it is a motivator, even though I know I won't be living in that ranch for even one day.

peanutt
01-08-2011, 11:54 PM
I hate seeing people go home, but that's just part of the competition show aspect.

Expunge
01-09-2011, 05:50 AM
I'm another one who never cared for TBL... I did like Celebrity Fit Club, however. Much more realistic, which is the last thing I expected when it came to celebrities! And they had a wide range of weights - some only wanted to lose about 20lbs, others were looking to lose hundreds.

I don't like competition style shows related to weight loss, TBL is just the most watched out of those. I'm also not motivated by Jillian's training style - I'd rather have a more positive/supportive atmosphere.

dragonwoman64
01-09-2011, 01:36 PM
I was trying to get feedback on how I feel about the concept of weight loss as a contest/race and negative vs positive motivation...

a fair number of the contestants of the show are ex-sports players (this season, an olympic weight lifter; past seasons lots of football players). Lots of people do respond to competition to rev up their games in whatever category, work, personal life, weight loss; they don't necessarily see it as "negative" to compete. (It's more interesting TV as well.)

I think competition can be a mentally healthy thing, and an aspect of a strong ego. Women are less socialized (in general, I think, and maybe this speaks more to older generations, I'm 46) to not respond as well to competitive situations. I tend to be more sensitive and would most likely fold in that kind of atmosphere. So I'd say I'd do better with positive motivation.
Saying that, I would add that I think that I've let my weight make me feel less worthy TO COMPETE in aspects of my life. (There's no reason weight loss has to be a competition for anyone, unless it proves to be a helpful tool.)

I do think the TBL is very scripted. And yes, I get that "train wreck" reaction sometimes too.

On the positive side (of the show, which isn't OP's real topic of interest), it does motivate me to get off my duff, whenever I have it on I almost always exercise at the same time. Another aspect to it for me, to see people with serious weight problems out there tackling them (not hiding in the closet). Yes, there's exploitation, at the same time I can't help feeling like it does bring obesity out of the shadows.

As a person who has an extremely difficult time envisioning herself thin, I LOVE the transformations.

In the end, I guess whoever decides to watch it can take out of it what they want to, the drama is ridiculous (and scripted, imho), but I do think it has motivated large-sized sufferers to step forward, and let go of some of their embarrassment, and get active and healthy.

seagirl
01-09-2011, 01:41 PM
I find that they aren't criticizing the people for the condition they are in now - they get tough on them when the people make excuses, play games and give up.

And my guess is that far more people have been helped by the show than have been harmed by its tactics, off-screen as well.

And I'm the same way with using the time to either prep my meals for the week, or exercise.

TheBunneh
01-09-2011, 02:43 PM
a fair number of the contestants of the show are ex-sports players (this season, an olympic weight lifter; past seasons lots of football players). Lots of people do respond to competition to rev up their games in whatever category, work, personal life, weight loss; they don't necessarily see it as "negative" to compete. (It's more interesting TV as well.)

I didn't mean to say negative as in "bad." But for lack of a better illustration "drill sergeant" vs "cheerleader" motivation in training styles and the different response it can produce from different people. I personally just end up giving up with 'tough love' tactics. I already have such harsh internal dialogue (which I'm working hard to change) and outward pushing of that nature doesn't make me try harder, it makes me feel incapable. I've gotten this from other video instructors, not just Jillian, but since this entire process of thinking began as a tangent from TBL I stuck with it.

Realizing it was okay if I simply don't respond well to a certain instructor's style and choose a different video series with a different instructor was a big step for me. For a long time I felt like something was wrong with me because I couldn't stand the 30 day shred and struggled with it. But I can push myself so hard with TurboFire, and a huge part of that is every time Chalene says something positive it is a reminder for me to change what I'm thinking to something positive.

I know part of it is also the difference in workouts. I prefer a choreography and music oriented workout. But even with Chalean Extreme I am able to push much harder than with 30 day shred because of how I respond to the instructor.

It's something I've been concerned about the few times I've toyed with the idea of personal training. Finding a trainer I would respond to well. I'm not going to get a trainer anytime soon, but if the time ever comes I don't know how to go about it.

Nebuchadnezzar
01-10-2011, 03:37 AM
I cannot stand this show. I watched a few episodes and just felt terrible for the contestants. Poor uninformed people working their @sses off for change and really dedicating themselves to it...

...Only to be exploited, lose mostly water weight, gain back what little fat they lost (because at that rate of loss you KNOW its all muscle and water) with a vengeance. That is pure insanity.

To do this crap to someone should be freaking illegal.

seagirl
01-10-2011, 06:54 AM
I cannot stand this show. I watched a few episodes and just felt terrible for the contestants. Poor uninformed people working their @sses off for change and really dedicating themselves to it...

...Only to be exploited, lose mostly water weight, gain back what little fat they lost (because at that rate of loss you KNOW its all muscle and water) with a vengeance. That is pure insanity.

To do this crap to someone should be freaking illegal.

They are losing fat - they don't have muscle to lose. If you lose 100 pounds, that's not water and muscle. That's fat.

Nola Celeste
01-10-2011, 01:52 PM
Ugh, I caught a clip of the latest TBL on "The Soup" (the Joel McHale show that isn't "Community" :) ). One of the contestants, a very big guy, tumbled off a treadmill and wound up on his back asking for help.

The trainer--the sandy-haired guy, don't know his name--actually walked over there and put his foot on the man's belly as he leaned over and talked to him about how he wouldn't have such trouble if he'd lose the fat, blah blah blah...I couldn't believe what I saw. Seriously, on what planet is it acceptable behavior to plant your foot on someone who's fallen?

I know people sign up for it. They sign away a lot. I didn't think they signed away their right to be treated better than barnyard animals, but I guess they do. It was a shocking little scene--more so because it was done so casually, as if to say, "Oh, he's just a fat guy--it's not like I'm stepping on a person here."

As for fat loss versus muscle loss, I'm sure they do lose a lot of fat, but there's bound to be some muscle loss mixed in there. We hear all the time that losing more than one percent of your total weight per week is too fast, yet on TBL, no one seems happy unless they show a double-digit loss for the week (and yes, I know the weeks are sometimes nine or ten days, but still--that's FAST).

NiteNicole
01-11-2011, 11:01 AM
I saw the same clip, and seriously, they do treat these people like idiots because they are fat. They talk to them like they're stupid. I can't believe how people beg to be on this show. How much do you hate yourself that you think you deserve that?

Nola Celeste
01-11-2011, 11:50 AM
I'm sure that everyone on the show feels--as many of us probably have--that they'd do anything to get rid of their excess weight ASAP. I've said it in the past as well: "Ugh, I just want it all gone now, I don't care how!"

After seeing that clip (and others from TBL), I've decided that no...no, I really wouldn't do quite anything to get rid of the extra fat. In fact, there are a lot of things I wouldn't do. Work out until I puke on national television, get yelled at by grown-up versions of every mean kid I ever knew in junior high school, get some fool's foot planted on my abdomen as I lie on the gym room floor--yeah, I've got a pretty long list of stuff I wouldn't do!

On the bright side, I think it's awesome that you also watch The Soup. :D

saef
01-11-2011, 12:08 PM
I don't like the show for a whole slew of other reasons.

- Portentous music
- Laser light-show weigh-ins
- Amateurish & unconvincing product endorsements embedded directly within the show
- The questionableness of some of the products
- Too many rewinds & rehashes, annoying to those who watch straight through & actually have an attention span
- Oh, the DRAMA of it all
- Lingering close-ups of emotional breakdowns
- The prevalence of the "likableness" factor
- The tendency of discussions to focus on contestants' personalities (see "likableness" factor)
- The sports injuries some contestants have suffered
- The dehydration/water weight gamesmanship issues

I could go on from there, but I'll stop. I watched two seasons straight through, because I was glad to see fat people on TV who actually exercised. At the time, I wasn't seeing much of that. I was uncomfortable about entering a gym without being fit: It seemed to me that only thin people frequented gyms. The show helped me with that. But, over time, it wore on me because it is just so darn cheesy. I am clearly not its target audience, even though I was really fat & I will probably always spend a lot of time thinking about weight & exercise.

abluvion
01-11-2011, 12:27 PM
The trainer--the sandy-haired guy, don't know his name--actually walked over there and put his foot on the man's belly as he leaned over and talked to him about how he wouldn't have such trouble if he'd lose the fat, blah blah blah...I couldn't believe what I saw. Seriously, on what planet is it acceptable behavior to plant your foot on someone who's fallen?

Just for some context - that guy had been giving the trainer excuses and excuses all day and had barely worked at all. That was the trainer saying "I'm not going to let you off easy." After that clip, the guy got off the floor just fine and was back on the treadmill and was like, "oh I feel better now." Taken out of context that clip would look awful to anyone but in the context of the show it wasn't so extreme.

I watch TBL online when I have nothing else to do... It's somewhat entertaining. I enjoy watching the challenges - not because of how much weight they might lose for doing these exercises, but because I think it looks fun and demanding. I usually skip the whole weigh-in part of the episode and watch the transformation at the end. I don't think the competition aspect is necessarily a bad thing, but I have always had a problem with the show giving the impression that losing 4lb or less per week is a BAD thing.

Tomato
01-11-2011, 01:29 PM
Ok, my 2 cents.
I like TBL, probably for all the reasons the rest of you dislike it. I am not saying I love everything about TBL (I hate the silly promos of Jenny'O turkey, of some gum, of a specific brand of vitamins, you name it), I hate that the show gets bloated to 2 hours even the real content is barely 45 minutes, and I hate when Jillian plays a shrink.

I started to watch TBL when it was in Season 5. I liked it immediately (yes, it has changed since then, and not always for the better) and even though I did not watch all the seasons after S5, I still like the concept.
It doesn't bother me when they show the contestants in shorts and bras. Well, why should they hide it? It doesn't bother me when Jillian screams into somebody's face at the top of her lungs. Why? Because I know it would work for ME.
TBL was a godsend because I discovered it when I started my weight loss journey, and perhaps because I believe in weight loss through exercise, and not through calorie counting. I swore to never count calories and I have no plans to break my promise (even though it was only to myself). I know how uplifting it is when you see your own physical condition and performance to improve, the weights that you could, at one point, barely lift off the floors and now you actually do shoulder presses with them, or when you go from falling flat on your face at your first attempt for a push up to 15 of them in a row. And I realize how much harder it is for the contestants because they are starting exercise much heavier than I was when I started.
Don't get me wrong, I have nothing against calorie counting - we all are choosing our own battles - but it is not a method for me. And I wonder, how many of you in this thread are calorie counters?
I wish the show focused more on the exercise - too much time is wasted by constantly repeating something.

I believe, perhaps with the exception of Season 1, that all the contestants know what they are signing up for. As for the rest of the population, for the people who are frustrated because they don't lose as much weight as the contestants - to put it mildly, I cannot believe that anybody would compare himself/herself. It is no secret the TBL folks exercise (exercise HARD) some 6 hours a day - so why would I compare myself with that??

I am not in love with Jillian (or Bob) but I don't mind them. Actually, the rougher Jillian gets, the more I like it. BECAUSE IT WORKS.

And as far as the comment about Jillian's extreme BMI - what does THAT have to do with anything? I would never consider BMI an indicator of my fitness. I go by percentage of body fat, because it is a lot more accurate indicator.

Coondocks
01-11-2011, 02:03 PM
Have to agree with Tomato - with the exception of the first season, all the contestants have seen the show, they know what they are in for. I don't understand why the shirtless weigh ins are humiliating - in my mind, I would find the 'need' to cover up more embarassing then wanting to shed the extra pound or two of fabric. I'd be willing to bet a lot of them DO find Jillians tough love aproach appealing to get the results they want, why else would they knowingly sign up for it? Myself, no it wouldn't work for me and frnakly I'd be right back in her face - But I wouldn't expect to make excuses if I had asked for her style of help to begin with.
I do think it can be a great motivator, it was for me. I read the books, have done the DVD work outs, i've actually learned a lot, but again, I'm also realsitic in knowing that I cannot drop 10 lbs in a week, it is an extreme number for the extreme measures they are taking. I'm not going that route, nor would I plan to honestly.
What I don't like about the show, is that it has become a competition for money. The more I've watched the less I see of the players wanting a healthy life and the tools to get it. I see more the mental game play for the big pay out.
It saddened me to see the previous winners who had not adopted the newer lifestyle and regained the weight. That must have been horrible for their own mentality, incredibly hard to get back infront of the cameras to show the world they had gained back and granted I don't know their stories, their lives etc, but it just made me think it was mostly if not all about the money and not their lives.
Just my 2 cents, but if you want to see the positive you can, if you want to see the negative you can too, if it does nothing for you but aggrevate you to watch it, don't. If it motivates you to get moving, fantastic.
Boils down to the same thing, your journey is your own and you will go the route you can to acheive what you want.
:)
The music does irritate me though :p

dragonwoman64
01-15-2011, 12:54 PM
I don't like the show for a whole slew of other reasons.

- Portentous music
- Amateurish & unconvincing product endorsements embedded directly within the show
- The questionableness of some of the products
- Too many rewinds & rehashes, annoying to those who watch straight through & actually have an attention span
- Oh, the DRAMA of it all
- Lingering close-ups of emotional breakdowns
- The prevalence of the "likableness" factor

this (excerpted) list applies to most tv shows, it seems to me, ha.

I would say 31 lbs (or the like) in a weeks time (as mind boggling as that is) is probably mostly water weight. But the contestants lose large amounts of weight over several months which is obviously fat.

yeah, TBL can be a circus.

to OP about choosing a trainer. I don't think all that many trainers use such a tough love approach (they want to be paid, after all, if they're obnoxious or hard to deal with it can be hard to draw customers). I'd say you have a good idea of what type of support works for you, which really puts you ahead of the game if you want to search one out. Talk to a few and tell them what approach works for you, if they can't be flexible, move on.