General chatter Because life isn't just about dieting. Play games, jokes, or share what's new in your life!

Old 01-07-2011, 11:55 PM   #46  
Fat to Fab and Fit

S/C/G: 190/151.2/122

Height: 5'3"

[QUOTE=Ookpik;3640342]Not sure. It comes on Slice in Canada, also various Global stations. It could be Discovery Health in the U.S. You may be able to view it here:

Thanks I will search for it
Sum38 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2011, 05:38 PM   #47  
Le geek, c'est chic

S/C/G: 232/see ticker/150ish

Height: 5'2" and change

I understand that a lot of people like Jillian. I am not one of those people, and for me to have to see her man-face on every ad from here to Juvember is annoying as all get-out. I cannot wait until she gets sued out of her Y-fronts for something--anything--so she'll be too disgraced to be the public face of anything and I won't have to look at her judgmental smirk any more.
Nola Celeste is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2011, 06:46 PM   #48  

S/C/G: 238/ticker/150

Height: 5'6

I hate TBL. Hate it. Stupid show.
fozentusic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2011, 07:08 PM   #49  

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nola Celeste View Post
Jillian.... her man-face... her Y-fronts

Wow.
MariaMaria is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2011, 07:13 PM   #50  
just do it!

S/C/G: 269/150/150

Height: 5'4"

Quote:
I understand that a lot of people like Jillian. I am not one of those people, and for me to have to see her man-face on every ad from here to Juvember is annoying as all get-out. I cannot wait until she gets sued out of her Y-fronts for something--anything--so she'll be too disgraced to be the public face of anything and I won't have to look at her judgmental smirk any more.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lady Stardust View Post
You can criticize her training style all you want, but don't make petty insults like saying she has a "man-face". Its comments like those that keep women back.

And saying you can't wait until she gets sued? Come on. Theres no need for comments like that. We should be able to be critical of her training style without resorting to ad hominem attacks.
I agree with Lady Stardust. A personal attack does nothing but reflect poorly on you. If you have problems with her training style, say so. But there's no need to make such sexist comments. I would think that someone who spoke so eloquently about the word "cheat" and how it reflects negative viewpoints of women would be a little more sensitive to the negative consequences of petty insults like this one.
peanutt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2011, 07:29 PM   #51  
Le geek, c'est chic

You're right. Calling her "man-face" is more of an insult than I'd intended. I'm in a terrible mood because of what's happening to my football team. I won't erase my post because I'd rather own a mistake and apologize for it than pretend I hadn't done it at all.

As for lawsuits, there is at least one pending about her line of diet pills, though I don't know the current state of it nor of the other three against her for the same thing.

I stand by my opinion that she's a poor choice of role model (in my estimation) because she appears (to me) to have a perilously low body-fat percentage, causing a loss of the buccal and malar fat pads characteristic of the female face. That's what I meant by "man-face"--not that she's homely or as a discussion of her looks, but as a comment about her extreme physique.

Granted, mine's extreme in the other direction and in an unhealthy way, but I'm working on it and recognizing it as the health concern that it is. It bothers me that people watch TBL, see JM, and think that that is the image of ideal health for a woman. She's closer to ideal than I am, sure--but then, I'm not the head of a fitness empire exhorting people to look like me. Not only is her physique an unattainable goal for the majority of women, it's one that shouldn't be the goal.
Old 01-08-2011, 08:21 PM   #52  
Joie de Vivre!!

S/C/G: 230/ticker/130

Height: 5'7"

I really didn't intend for this to be about trashing TBL or Jillian. =(

I was trying to get feedback on how I feel about the concept of weight loss as a contest/race and negative vs positive motivation...
TheBunneh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2011, 08:37 PM   #53  

S/C/G: 195/172.8/145

Height: 5'2

well getting back in track. There are good and bad things about TBL. When I am feeling lazy and the show is on it does make me get my butt up and exercise. Another thing is watching them work out I a able to, as a home exerciser, pick up on new things to do like kettle bells. Never saw them til the show. No I don't like the conpetetion part but like anything take the good from it and leave behind the bad.
DisgruntledOne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2011, 08:39 PM   #54  

Quote:
she appears (to me) to have a perilously low body-fat percentage, causing a loss of the buccal and malar fat pads characteristic of the female face. That's what I meant by "man-face"--not that she's homely or as a discussion of her looks, but as a comment about her extreme physique.
And the y-fronts remark?

Basically, you called a lesbian a man-- meaning, not a woman. That was both sexist and heterosexist.
MariaMaria is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2011, 08:41 PM   #55  
Le geek, c'est chic

This is an "I Dislike TBL" thread, and I did repeatedly express that it was my opinion that a woman with such a low BMI has no business being held up as a shining example of physical fitness. Keeping my opinions to myself is antithetical to the nature of a message board and specifically a thread in which people give their opinions on a television show, isn't it?

There's a difference between "policing others' bodies" and offering an opinion (again, the key word here) that a person with a body fat percentage below what is considered healthy by the medical establishment is not someone to whom I look as a role model. Furthermore--and again, in my opinion--I find it worrying when doctors tell us one thing about proper BMI and a reality/fitness/entertainment show holds up another, very different image.

People who put themselves on a public stage for a particular trait can and are judged by that trait. If she were an actress, it would be fair to discuss her acting ability and the "instrument" with which she acts (her face and body). If she were a writer, it would be fair to discuss the quality of her novels and comment about her intellect when debating how convoluted or simplistic her plots were. If she were a model, her beauty or lack thereof would become fair game.

She is a fitness guru, therefore it is fair to discuss the quality of her workouts, her own physical fitness, and her behavior as relates to fitness and exercise. That's what she's famous for. That's what she does for a living. That's why people give her money by buying her workout DVDs, tuning in to her show, and buying the supplements for which she is currently being sued.

I've apologized enough for the baser, more negative comments I made and I do regret them. I don't regret offering my opinions that a fitness guru can be judged on her own fitness, that I personally find her a poor standard of fitness, or that I hope the pending lawsuits against her are successful.

You are more than welcome to disagree with me, but please remember that this is an "I Dislike TBL" thread and not an "I Love Jillian Michaels" thread. I don't darken those threads with my dislike of the show or the woman on it; I fail to see why expressing my low opinions on the show or the woman in a thread about that very thing is verboten.

Again, I'll apologize for the cheap shots--but not for the strong opinions that motivated them.
Old 01-08-2011, 08:47 PM   #56  
Le geek, c'est chic

Quote:
Originally Posted by MariaMaria View Post
And the y-fronts remark?

Basically, you called a lesbian a man-- meaning, not a woman. That was both sexist and heterosexist.
She's a lesbian? I didn't know. All I know of her is what I see in those omnipresent ads and from snippets of TBL that I've caught here and there.

I judged her on her appearance and my mouth overran my sense. The Y-fronts comment was another reference, like "man-face," to her physique--not her sexuality. She has the body-fat percentage of a man, that was my point. It was an ill-chosen comment for which I have already apologized, but not one that was meant to be a slur on her sexuality.
Old 01-08-2011, 08:48 PM   #57  
just do it!

S/C/G: 269/150/150

Height: 5'4"

Nola, I appreciate your comments and that you left your original post intact.

Remember people, we don't always have to agree but we can disagree respectfully.
peanutt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2011, 08:51 PM   #58  
Le geek, c'est chic

I could definitely use some lessons on disagreeing respectfully. I feel like crap for my original statements--I always think I'm about 138% more clever than I actually am--and hope that I didn't offend anyone. That was not my intent, nor was it my intent to shanghai this thread which had been really interesting until I decided to come in here and choke on my own foot.

Mea maxima culpa to anyone whom I offended.
Old 01-08-2011, 09:00 PM   #59  

S/C/G: 195/172.8/145

Height: 5'2

Ok seriously lets get back to the topic. People all the time make comments that may or may not have been put in public. But guess what so many people have decided it is ok and can't fantom how what they said is wrong or inappropiate. Giving my respect to Noal she has appoligized and like she said this was an interesting thread so please lets get back to it. thank you.
DisgruntledOne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2011, 10:22 PM   #60  
Le geek, c'est chic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lady Stardust View Post
Nola, I think you should keep all comments regarding Jillian Michaels and her body and her BMI to yourself, and stop making such poor excuses for what you said.

You are not her, therefore you do not know what is best for her, and you do not know what her best body weight is for her. Its not your business and you have no basis for opinion since you do not know her.

I don't care if its your opinion, you are still policing her body.

Please just stop making comments about her and stop trying to justify your prejudice against her.

I would think that of all places, 3 Fat Chicks would be a place where no one's body is commented on in a negative way, even as a criticism of their "art" or "profession".

I suggest you should reflect on why you harbor such a hatred towards her and why you have such strong opinions on her body and lifestyle choice. there are numerous blogs you can read about body acceptance and I suggest you read them.

Listen, this isnt a criticism against you personally, I think you have a lot to learn about body acceptance. It was a difficult concept for me to initially grasp, but if you have an open mind and are willing to ask questions, and just listen, you can learn a lot about it. I know I did.
'Kay, duly noted.

At any rate (and with apologies to all for my part in derailing the thread earlier), I'm really happy to see that there seem to be many new weight-loss/fitness-oriented shows that are non-competitive, like A&E's "Heavy" and MTV'S "I Used to Be Fat" (which, oddly enough, is affiliated with TBL but has a wildly different vibe).

I wonder if those less ratings-driven, sensationalistic shows will catch on, and if they do, if they'll affect TBL and the abominable "Dance Your *** Off"-type competitions? I can't help hoping so; I like my competitive reality shows as much as the next TV junkie, but some things just might not be fit subjects for competition, in my opinion.