Weight Loss Support Give and get support here!

Old 09-28-2010, 07:35 PM   #1  
Closet health nut!

S/C/G: S268/C170s/G140s

Height: Officially 5'-6"

Default Is vanity a bad reason?

I've been going back and forth on whether or not I want/should lose a few more lbs. While yes, my body fat is not stellar, I'm in great shape and with clothes on I look and feel pretty good. I'm starting to think that the only reason I'm want to do it is strictly vanity purposes. But then I start to wonder, at this point in my life - who really cares if I'm an 8 or a 6 or if I weigh 145 or 135. But at the same time, I kinda want to do it just see how it feels and if it's worth it. Can anyone relate to this? It's a strange perspective because when I started this journey there was no question...lose weight or die early. I wanted to slap people in the face who were pondering "oh...should I lose a few lbs???" But I tell you it's all relative. But is there anything wrong with losing weight for strictly vanity purposes, obviously as long as it within reason and not shooting to be underweight or something.
ncuneo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2010, 08:30 PM   #2  

S/C/G: SW:394/310/180

Height: 5'6"

Is there anything wrong with buying clothing and accessories that look good on you? Would you pay a little more for a flattering winter coat in a color you like, or would you buy the cheapest, functional coat even if it makes you look like an overstuffed gray potato?

If you're willing to select your wardrobe, (even in part) based on fashion and asthetics, why shouldn't you be able to choose your body by the same criteria.

It's your body, you get to decide what to do with it, and why. You get to decide what are willing to do, why you're willing to do it, and whether you can justify it to yourself or not.

Weight loss isn't different than anything else in your life. Motives are complicated and there rarely is a "simple" answer. Is it ok to take a job that pays really well, but will take you away from your family more than you'd like? I can't answer that for you, only you can. And the same is true for weight loss. Understand your motives and decide whether they're the "right ones" based on your own values and beliefs. No one else can say yes or no for you, only for themselves.

Most of my dieting life, vanity was the sole reason. I've found that improving health and physical ability has been a stronger motivation for me, but vanity is still in the mix. I'm planning a tattoo to celebrate when I lose 100 lbs. There's certainly no functional or health-related justification for a tattoo - it's pure aesthetics. I'm ok with that.

Last edited by kaplods; 09-28-2010 at 08:36 PM.
kaplods is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2010, 08:53 PM   #3  
I luv my curves

S/C/G: 255/ticker/180

Height: 5'1 3/4

I think most people lose weight because of vanity and all other stuff coming second to that. most probably wouldnt admitt it. I personally want to Like the way I look and I also want to shop and look good in cloths that I buy. That being said health reasons are great and Im also happy that I am a healthier person overall but ive never had one single health problem and Ive been over 200 lbs for over nine years. I see nothing wrong with wanting to lose for vanity reasons. Its hard not to if you ask me all you seem to hear or see is ads on great bodies and what not lol
Matilda08 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2010, 09:29 PM   #4  

My reasons for losing weight were purely based on vanity! I don't know if that makes it ok, but I'm sure that's why most of us are losing.
tiffany0809 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2010, 09:43 PM   #5  

S/C/G: 199/194/152

Height: 5'9"

I think vanity is a perfectly fine reason. We all want to look good---that's just being human. I think the question you need to ask yourself is about balance. Normal vanity is fine. But if it becomes an obsession or becomes destructive (like you want a specific number on the scale at all costs), then it's a problem.

If you want to try and take off another 10 lbs, go for it. Just keep you eyes open to how it's affecting you and what your true motivations are. If being a certain weight is all you think about and your life revolves around it, that is likely destructive and close to becoming an eating disorder.

As with so many things in life, there are good and bad reasons for doing anything. Oftentimes it's not the action that's inherently good or bad, but the reasons behind it. If you're doing it for the right reasons, as other posters have pointed out, then fine. But if you're doing it for bad reasons or it turns destructive, then it's not so healthy and you need to re-evaluate what's really going on with you because it certainly isn't about that last 10 lbs. anymore.

Steelers Fan -- do you mind telling me what size you wear? I ask because I'm also 5'9" and trying to figure out a good goal weight. I'm currently 197 and wear a size 14. I'm looking to be around a size 6 and I'm guessing that probably 152 or so for me. I tend to distribute my weight fairly evenly and have a more "curvy" figure as opposed to athletic, if that helps at all.
Lindsey79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2010, 09:44 PM   #6  

S/C/G: 197/ticker/115

Height: 4'10"

I see no problem with losing weight for vanity. The only thing that is wrong with it is when people who are already slim and looking good complain about how they need to lose 10 pounds to someone who is struggling to lost 50 or 100..or what have you.

Its like someone who is making 100k a year complaining about their finances to someone who is struggling to get by on 30k.

Had this happen to me when my husband was in the air force. Had a captain's wife start whining and griping to me about paying bills. Being married to an A1C, I had very little sympathy for the woman whose husband made 3 times what mine did. I know we all have our own problems, and those who make more can have just as many money difficulties as those who make less..works the same with weight. It can be just as frustrating to lose 10 as it is to lose 100..but really..I dont wanna hear about how you just wanna finally be able to buy that size 1. From Ncuneo, I would take it..cause she knows the FULL struggle..But those who have always been thin and just want to drop one dress size? Nope..keep your mouth shut to me, and complain to another skinny gal.
TornadoSiren is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2010, 09:56 PM   #7  
Girl Gone Strong

S/C/G: (H)247/(C)159/(Goal)142-138

Height: 5'3"

Ncuneo, you have a lot of pressure in your life right now, and one of the things you seem to be dealing with, based on your other posts, is a problem with bingeing.

You may want to just keep your weight steady for a while & work on eliminating those binges, rather than going even lower.

People who binge do so for many reasons, but one reason they express themselves in a binge is because they have restricted what they eat. Sometimes tighter restriction leads to more frequent acting-out in the form of binges. I'm not saying this is your pattern, but it is true of many women who have dealt with this issue (including myself, many years ago).

Anyway, something to think about.

But to answer your original question, no, I don't think losing weight for vanity's sake is bad. That we even have to ask that shows that we've got a puritan heritage here in the U.S. & that beauty & aesthetics are somehow suspect if they're not health-minded & completely utilitarian.

It's okay to want to be beautiful. Really.

Last edited by saef; 09-28-2010 at 09:57 PM.
saef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2010, 10:30 PM   #8  

S/C/G: 180/179.2/130one day

Height: 5.1.5

I do love all yours threds .

I did star losing weigth bc of vanity , so i guess it ok.

About who cares what the scale said, i know what you mean, i want to be 27 in my waist , and sometimes i think , but no one will notice if i lose 1 more inch
( from my almost 28) but i want to be there for my self.
Tuca125 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2010, 09:08 AM   #9  
Why can't you?

S/C/G: 334/290.8/167

Height: 5'2"

There's nothing wrong with vanity. If you don't like it, you can gain it back.
AZ Sunrises is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2010, 09:42 AM   #10  

S/C/G: 264/202/163

Height: 5'4"

Although the doctor telling me I had to do this got me to stick to it.... that is irrelavant.... I just want compiments again and to buy trendy clothes!
stacygee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2010, 09:51 AM   #11  

S/C/G: 175/ticker/130

Height: 5'6

Vanity is a large motivator for me. I want to look good. I want to be able to buy clothes without being reduced to tears in the dressing room. I want to wake up in the morning and be able to look that stupid closet mirror across from my bed in the eye.

There are more reasons, of course, that I have accumulated since my journey began almost a year ago. Now that I've discovered how it feels to be active, I want to work to be more active and go out into the world more. Now that I've discovered how tasty healthy foods are, I want to improve my culinary attempts with whole, organic, tasty, ingredients.

But mostly...I wanna fit into a pair o' size ten jeans and rock my stuff.

Nucuneo, I've been reading your posts for quite some time now. You have been and always will be an inspiration for me. You always pick yourself right back up and go on to succeed.

If you want to drop those few more pounds I'm sure you can and will do it. On the other hand, I do agree with the ever-wise words of saef. Maybe take some time for maintenance and to collect yourself? It won't hurt anything to take a little 'you' time.

Good luck, hun!
Shifterred is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2010, 11:00 AM   #12  
Closet health nut!

S/C/G: S268/C170s/G140s

Height: Officially 5'-6"

Saef, Shifterred - I hear ya on the maintain and collect for awhile. On the other hand though I kind of feel like the number of cals it takes to maintain my current weight is too many for me, it gives me too much freedom. I'm able to plan in some indulgences that turn into triggers. I know I know, just don't plan "those" foods in, but I feel like if I had a little less wiggle room and a little more accountability I may be able to address some of my food issues (deep down though I know they are emotional and those have to be addressed by something other than my weight). I just feel like I'm so close to being the best I can be (minus the saggy skin and stretch marks ) that I just want to get there.
ncuneo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2010, 01:49 PM   #13  
xty
bright hearted

S/C/G: 240/127/125

Height: 5'6

Vanity itself is not a bad reason, no.

However, if losing weight for vanity reasons compromises your health, energy or quality of life in any way - a bit of priority re-balancing is needed.

Slippery slope though....if you feel better 5lbs smaller, that actually can improve your self-esteem and make you healthier emotionally. But if you are more concerned about vanity than say...agility, hearth health, muscle tone, bone density, eating the proper variety of foods for nutrition and antioxidant...then red flags should be going up
xty is offline   Reply With Quote