Weight and Resistance Training Boost weight loss, and look great!

Old 08-06-2010, 11:09 PM   #1  

Height: 5'5"

Default Long-time lifters, question please

I've been back to using weight machines for about 13 months or so. Steadily I kept increasing the weight. I made a mistake, was on vacation for three weeks and then had compnay for the next two - stupidly when I went back to the gym I used the same weights I had been doing and now my right rotator cuff is hurting. I asked the trainer at the Y, and she told me all along I should have been using light weights and more reps as opposed to trying to add more weight, to make long and leaner muscles instead of bulking up.

Is this true, do you agree with her? I am 55, and want to lose a lot more weight. I thought the more muscles you had the more calories you burn? I actually like the way my arms look, for the first time in decades, plus I want to be able to hoist myself out of the tub when I'm older etc.

Advice please?
PaulaM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2010, 11:13 PM   #2  
I love my muscles!

S/C/G: 169/149/135

Height: 5' 5 1/4"

No, I don't agree with that. Women do not have the hormones do look bulky etc. Plus it would take hours upon hours every day to bulk up in a way that would make you unhappy.

You can also google it. I googled women bulk weights and came up with tons of articles. here's one: http://www.elitefts.com/documents/female_athletes.htm

Last edited by pinkflower; 08-06-2010 at 11:13 PM.
pinkflower is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2010, 11:27 PM   #3  

S/C/G: 163/128/125

Height: 5'5

Glad you asked, and your intuition about that ridiculous statement are 100% correct.

Even with anabolic steroids, human growth hormones, etc. it still can easily take more than a decade for a woman to lift so much that she could appear "manly"

Girls who claim they bulk up in the legs/calves,etc (you hear this a lot), simply have a lot of body fat in addition. If they cut down to sub 20% body fat, this "bulk" would disappear.

Here's the link to my trainer's site. It has taken her 25 years ... without a break from the gym ... to look like this.
http://www.slide.com/r/wryNfaYu0T_Ep...rK?map=2&cy=un
(Ps... she is not just a mother but also a grandmother)

Long/lean muscles vs "bulk" muscles does not exist. Physiology does not work that way. A glute is a glute and a pectoral is a pectoral. One cannot create long/lean muscles vs - normal? larger? muscles. Only more of it.

Bottom line, anytime someone says "long/lean muscle" while trying to give you weight training advice, just put on the headphones and tune them out. They don't have a clue. Your YMCA gal has bought into one of the many myths of weight training.

Last edited by sacha; 08-06-2010 at 11:28 PM.
sacha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2010, 08:42 AM   #4  
Just Me

S/C/G: 364/--/182

Height: 5'6"

One thing I'd ask since you mentioned you hurt yourself, what exercises do you do that work your shoulders? There are some exercises that can hurt your shoulders and should be avoided.

I'd also put my opinion out there that you should try to move toward free weights which are safer overall (as long as you build up and use proper form) and work more muscles.

I agree with everyone else though, that trainer isn't very knowledgeable.
nelie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2010, 09:35 AM   #5  
Kallos Sthenos

S/C/G: 188/127/120

Height: 5'3''

Longleanmuscle longleanmusclelongleanmuscle

My sister has long lean muscles...she does bootcamps and classes where the reps are many and the weights are oh so very light. But...is this why she has long lean muscles. Nope. It's genetic. It's the way her muscles are attached to her frame. It's the way her body metabolizes the food she takes in as well.

Seriously. I am disappointed that the Y staff member is perpetuating this type of myth.

On the other side of your message...like Nelie, I"m a little concerned about that shoulder injury. When working the shoulders, its the one area that should never be worked to failure. Doing so is an invitation to injury. Baby those rotator cuffs. Those do need to be light in weight. It's not a contest.

I also second Nelie's nudge into exploring free weights. Best of luck and let us know how your doing.
Lydia227 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2010, 09:48 AM   #6  

Height: 5'5"

Thank you all! I have not been doing free weights, that's where all the big guys are LOL. I've been using the circuit machines. I'm afraid I don't know which muscles I'm working on for each one, I've just been doing them blindly. There are a few that I'm pushing away from me, the one for biceps and the one for triceps I know work those. There is the lat pull down thing and then one where it's for the mid to lower back where I pull it toward me. I have a herniated disc in my lower lumbar region, so I can't do anything where I have to lean forward, which I which I have been using machines rather than barbells.

I'm so glad to hear about the long lean myth. I told the woman I needed upper body strength and I do seem to be getting it, I've noticed it in daily life, the vacuuming is much easier, lugging grocery bags etc. I agree with you all, the only bulk on me is the fat part, I absolutely love the way my arms have definition now, but I don't look anything like my Governor.
PaulaM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2010, 03:19 PM   #7  
Working My Way Back Down

I agree that using free weights is the way to go. Sure, it's where the big guys are, but if that itimidates you, find a time when they're not there, or perhaps as is the case in my gym, there are free weights in several areas (and I include cable setups as free weights).

Take a look at Krista's site She has lots of good ideas for getting started, and how to keep from hurting yourself. Best of all, you can find which muscles you're working. She has pre-designed programs you can work from, and pictures of proper form. Also, there's a "sticky" thread above about choosing free weights over machines. Free weights allow you do develop functional strength. I'm 65 and have been lifting off and on for the past 5-7 years. It really does help in daily living. Try it, you may like it!
WaterRat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2010, 03:45 PM   #8  
Losing the baby weight

S/C/G: 224/183/140

Height: 5"4

I just started reading The New Rules of Lifting for Women and I suggest you read it as well.

It clears up a lot of misinformation and goes a bit into the science behind it as well. As a bonus, it gives nutrition advice and a 6 month plan. It also addresses the 'many reps with lighter weights' lie they tell women. You can't have long muscles by working out differently, they start and stop at a specific place so there's no way to detatch them and attatch them farther away for a 'longer' look.

I hope you read the book It's helped me understand things a lot better.
StephanieM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2010, 08:38 PM   #9  
Ilene the Bean

See someone for your shoulder injury if it persists for sure When it comes to shoulders be very careful with the heavier weights... Definitely get into the free weights even if the big guys are there, it could be the configuration of the machine that caused your injury, they are configured for the average man and not a woman...
Ilene is offline   Reply With Quote