PCOS/Insulin Resistance Support Support for us with any of the following: Insulin Resistance, Syndrome X, Polycystic Ovarian Syndrome, or other endocrine disorders.

Closed Thread

Old 10-02-2002, 09:25 PM   #1  

Default Can we take a PCOS poll for everyone here? Please?!

I am a newbie and I'm glad to see this here! I thought I'd ask a poll here. Please answer if you would.

1)What is your age and when were you diagnosed?
2)What are your symptoms?
3)What meds are you taking, doses and for what symptoms?
4)Have you lost a significant amount of weight and seen any changes in your symptoms?

I'll start.

1)I started being treated for this in May 2002. I am 23 years old.
2)Hirutism, funky weight gain, irregular periods, acanthosis nigricans and other skin problems, high testosterone.
3)Spironolactone (aldactone) for the hirutism, Lotrisone lotion for skin problems, Decadron (Dexamethasone) for skin, just prescribed Glucophage (Metformin) yesterday, will start that this weekend. I was also prescribed Ortho-TriCyclen but I have not started. I don't want to unless totally necessary. I want to wait to see if the Glucophage helps with periods.

If there is anything else you'd like to add, that would be great. I just want to get an idea of how everyone's dealing and what you're taking.

CD
Old 10-03-2002, 07:45 AM   #2  
PCOS Educator (non prof)

1)What is your age and when were you diagnosed? Showed symptoms at age 8, diagnosed at age 12 after years of tests. Im 29 now.

2)What are your symptoms? Nearly every single one of them. I have severe PCOS.

3)What meds are you taking, doses and for what symptoms? GlucophageXR 2000mg. I FEEL GREAT! GlucXR TREATS PCOS as a WHOLE! WONDERFUL drug! Its helped with every thing I suffer from and helped my boobs straighten out to boot. Can ya tell Im excited about that one?

4)Have you lost a significant amount of weight and seen any changes in your symptoms?Weight, no because I cant afford to do a DT2 diet yet. Its pretty expensive. But I cut back and change where I can. Symptoms have all decreased.
Old 10-03-2002, 10:18 AM   #3  

Hello, I am also new here so should not really take your poll yet because I am not being treated yet I still have some test results my doctor wants to get back first but I also just just found out I have Hypothyroidism and I have been takeing Synthroid for 7 days, she also gave me a prescription for Spironolactone but I have not got it filled yet, How is that working for you? can you see a change at all with your hair loss?

I only want to take one medicine at a time and if it works out well with no bad side affects after 2 or 3 weeks then I will start another one.

Mellie
Old 10-03-2002, 10:48 AM   #4  
PCOS Educator (non prof)

Creative Dame:
Something I missed the first time.

Spiro can take up to 8 months to show any signs of working ability. It takes a LONG time.

The other medications are also redundant and will inhibit you from knowing if the gluc is working or not. (You should reevaluate this with your doctor to see if the meds are necessary) Gluc will do what your other medications are for and more. We tend to know if the dose isnt working when we do not see these things improve. This is our sign that its probably time for a dose increase. It can also take up to 6 months to see its working as well although the normal time frame is 3 months.

Lastly, being on so much medication may not be wise. You wont know what you are taking is working or not, thus if not working or really needing to do its job, you may be taking a medication that is benign and unnecessary. Then you have to think of possible medication interactions as well.

Anyway, this was just a warning, not judging you. I am antimeds as much as possible. I take gluc to save my life. The other medications that you mentioned arent "life saving" and should be IN MY OPINION reexplored. Not to say you dont need them or should be scared to take them all but to know if they are truely necessary and for concideration for the next step.

RECAP: Whats working? Whats doing the job? Is it a medication overload? Do you need it? Interactions?
Old 10-03-2002, 08:48 PM   #5  

Mellie:
I've been on the Spiro for three months now. I went through a sort of growth spurt on my face, then the hair started getting thinner. But Spiro, from what I understand, is not supposed to stop the hair from growing, but help it thin out and I do think it's getting better.

Hopeful:
I do understand about all the other meds. Before my doc prescribed the Metformin, he cut my Decadrone in half to .5mg a day rather than 1mg. I'm still taking 50mg of Spiro twice a day and the lotion I am only using when my skin flares up. I've had some irritation underneath my breasts and it's much better now - my GP prescribed the Lotrisone, not my endo. I barely use this though.

And I'm not planning on taking the OTC. I'm just not fond of using any type of BC.

CD
Old 10-04-2002, 07:38 AM   #6  
PCOS Educator (non prof)

Im glad to hear all that CD
Old 10-04-2002, 06:30 PM   #7  

What is your age and when were you diagnosed?
What are your symptoms?
IR, Excessive body hair, weight gain, lack of period, lack of fertility.
What meds are you taking, doses and for what symptoms?
850mg Metaformin twice a day (Insulin Resistance)
200mg Clomid (Infertility)
Have you lost a significant amount of weight and seen any changes in your symptoms?
I've been on Metaformin for a year now and my periods are fineally some what regular about every 32-34 days. I've been on Clomid for 2 years, with one success however the pregnancy was lost due to a blighted ovum. First noticed weight gain at age 20 packed on 60 lbs in a year. Since starting Metaformin and Weight Watchers i've lost 30lbs.
Right now main concern with PCOS is not being able to conceive. Would love to hear from anyone having the same problem.
Old 10-04-2002, 06:38 PM   #8  

Mary Lee: I'm sorry to hear of your lost pregnancy. That's a scary thought for me too...I get married in a year and I know my FI wants to have children...we want to have conceive after about a year. I have heard of many success stories though regarding women with PCOS being able to conceive...definitely don't give up!

CD
Old 10-04-2002, 10:18 PM   #9  
PCOS Educator (non prof)

MaryLee, concider yourself regular! YEAH! Anything between 26 and 36 days is normal! The 28 day thing is not a rule. My RE and Gyna both said its actually not as common as people tend to think.
Old 10-04-2002, 11:15 PM   #10  
WW Moderator

Hi Creative Dame!

I am 34 and was diagnosed 2 years ago. I first noticed mild symptoms (some breakouts on my face and a few wild hairs) when I was a teenager, but mostly my symptoms came on heavy when I was pregnant at 23, especially the acanthosis nigricans.

Inablility to lose weight, that one is tough, and acanthosis nigricans, plus milder symptoms of acne, hirutism, insulin resistance, and polycystic ovaries. Also had some hair loss, but all of these have decreased with a low carb diet and more since taking GlucXR. The acne is the hardest to control, but it does fine with meds.

I am taking Gluc XR 1000 mg, hoping to move to 1500 soon. It has been hard on my stomach so I had to back off for a while. I also use BenzaClin antibiotic cream on my face in the mornings and Avita cream on my face at night to keep it clear. I quit taking the BenzaClin and my face started breaking out again so I am back on it, along with a one month booster of doxycycline to help me clear up. As long as I use my creams regularly, I have a better complexion than I have ever had.

4)Have you lost a significant amount of weight and seen any changes in your symptoms?

Very little weight loss, but quite a difference in symptoms.
Old 10-05-2002, 01:43 AM   #11  

Thank You Creative Dame.

I must admit at times it seems hopeless. After almost three years of trying and then to get it just to lose it was so hard. My DR has high hopes though, but if i don't get pregnant again with in the next six months then they are going to run more tests. I must say it's great to be regular (I would never had said that when i was a teen) however since trying to have a baby I don't mind it so much.
To anyone who's on Metaformin give it time. When i first started it, it made me sick to my stomach but i found that i only got sick when i took it with food. The food seemed to go right threw me. However I no longer get sick when i take it . I know that this may sound strange, but when i found out i was Preg. the Dr took me off of it, I felt the difference right away. Sometimes i wonder if my going off of the metaformin effected my pregnancy or not.
Old 10-06-2002, 03:19 AM   #12  

Jennifer: Thank you for sharing! The Acanthosis is a bummer huh? I haven't seen many others with this...it's very mild around my neck, but I've got lots of discoloration around my breasts and my stretch marks (which are getting worse since I've lost these few pounds) are so very dark and long. *Sigh*. Hopefully the Metformin I start tomorrow will help. And you said you've had very little weight loss - I would not say that what you've lost is little! You've done a great job! Especially considering how hard it is with PCOS!

Mary Lee: I get married in a year and I'm worried about having trouble conceiving myself. It's so strange but before all this I've never considered NOT being able to. Now I realize it could be a reality. But from the PCOS forums I've seen, the Clomid and other drugs are really working! Don't give up hope! New advances are being made every day. My pharmacist was telling me she had PCOS several years ago before they really knew much about it and wasn't sure about the types of drugs to take. She went through a lot but did end up having two children.

CD
Old 10-09-2002, 10:45 AM   #13  

1)What is your age and when were you diagnosed? age 32, diagnosed 2 months ago
2)What are your symptoms? increased testosterone levels, acne, unwanted hair growth, obesity
3)What meds are you taking, doses and for what symptoms? Yasmin only
4)Have you lost a significant amount of weight and seen any changes in your symptoms? I have been eating healthy and working out for 7 months. So far, I have lost 19 pounds. I did not want to diet and then gain all the weight back so instead I opted for real lifestyle changes that I could keep for the rest of my life. It is frustratingly slow, but it is working.

Betty
Old 10-09-2002, 06:08 PM   #14  

Good for you Betty! I often feel like things are going sooo slowly, but I can only take things one day at a time. Even if I don't lose and stay the same, I'm much, much healthier and stronger than I was a month ago.

You're doing it the right way!

CD
Old 10-10-2002, 11:40 AM   #15  
Post acholic!

I am 20 years old now, i was diagnosed just before my 20th birthday

Steady weight gain, unwanted hair, spots etc

None as yet, was low carbing but i took myself of that...finally have an appointment with my GP tomorow to discuss Glucophage

Not yet as i havent started any medication.
Closed Thread